PDA

View Full Version : Yogi perspective

Twa Cairpets
24-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Driving over the Kessock Bridge last night in a kind of bewildered numbness, Yogi came on the radio.

He talked about players having the confidence to "express themselves, to give a pass and receive it back". This is very laudable, and self-evidently sensible and good things for professional footballers to have.

I like Yogi, I think he has genuine passion, and lets face it, he's not the first Hibs manager to fail to win us the Scottish Cup. (The threads calling for his head are way out of order - chopping and changing managers every season just is not the way to go).

The thought occurred to me that is he too much of a fan? I sit not far from him in the West stand, and he's kicking every ball, and screaming (literally) at players when they make a mistake - punching or head-butting the dug out and publicly berating players. I cant match the "confidence to express themselves" statement with this manic fury every time they misplace a pass. At any level of football (or indeed any job), if you get hammered for making a mistake, you are going to take the easy way out and avoid making mistakes as a priority, which doesnt lead to any creativity and quite plainly doesnt work. How many other genuinely succesful managers do you see constantly and publicly berating their own players week in week out? Erm. None? This is nothing to do with protecting the poor wee sensitive players, much more to do with basic people management.

I think that part of Yogi's apparent blind spot about making changes is that he is so involved in the game he finds it difficult to detach himself and/or has some macho thing that the players on the pitch need to take all the responsibility to sort it out.

At the end of the radio interview, Yogi said he looks in the mirror every day and asks what can he do better. Step back, stop being "one of the boys", and be a manager, not a public park coach.

banarc7062
24-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Driving over the Kessock Bridge last night in a kind of bewildered numbness, Yogi came on the radio.

He talked about players having the confidence to "express themselves, to give a pass and receive it back". This is very laudable, and self-evidently sensible and good things for professional footballers to have.

I like Yogi, I think he has genuine passion, and lets face it, he's not the first Hoibs manager to fail to win us the Scottish Cup. (The threads calling for his head are way out of order - chopping and changing managers every season just is not the way to go).

The thought occurred to me that is he too much of a fan? I sit not far from him in the West stand, and he's kicking every ball, and screaming (literally) at players when they make a mistake - punching or head-butting the dug out and publicly berating players. I cant match the "confidence to express themselves" statement with this manic fury every time they misplace a pass. At any level of football (or indeed any job), if you get hammered for making a mistake, you are going to take the easy way out and avoid making mistakes as a priority, which doesnt lead to any creativity and quite plainly doesnt work. How many other genuinely succesful managers do you see constantly and publicly berating their own players week in week out? Erm. None? This is nothing to do with protecting the poor wee sensitive players, much more to do with basic people management.

I think that part of Yogi's apparent blind spot about making changes is that he is so involved in the game he finds it difficult to detach himself and/or has some macho thing that the players on the pitch need to take all the responsibility to sort it out.

At the end of the radio interview, Yogi said he looks in the mirror every day and asks what can he do better. Step back, stop being "one of the boys", and be a manager, not a public park coach.

Fair points :agree:

Golden Bear
24-03-2010, 10:23 AM
Yogi talks a good game and I'll now end the sentence.

Baader
24-03-2010, 10:37 AM
I think he needs to become more distance. Not the players' mate but the boss. Not sure they have the fear factor with him...

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Yogi talks a good game and I'll now end the sentence.

Talks a great game, but when it boils down to it, he is a clueless balloon, who can't change games, and his tactics / formations are an absolute disgrace.....

jacomo
24-03-2010, 10:43 AM
Interesting insight, two carpets.

Mixu was exactly the same - a raging presence on the touchline, often getting involved in needless arguments.

IMO, demanding the players to just "express themselves" when form and confidence is low isn't gonna work. What the manager needs to do is go back to basics, match up against opponents, and ruthlessly exploit their weaknesses.

There were passages of play during Mixu's reign - few and far between admittedly - when the one-touch pass-and-move would come off, and we looked like a very slick outfit. But it's clear to me that Hibs just don't have the players to do this throughout a match.

If we can't keep possession, then we need adopt a slightly more pragmatic approach.

Dan Sarf
24-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Interesting insight, two carpets.

Mixu was exactly the same - a raging presence on the touchline, often getting involved in needless arguments.

IMO, demanding the players to just "express themselves" when form and confidence is low isn't gonna work. What the manager needs to do is go back to basics, match up against opponents, and ruthlessly exploit their weaknesses.

There were passages of play during Mixu's reign - few and far between admittedly - when the one-touch pass-and-move would come off, and we looked like a very slick outfit. But it's clear to me that Hibs just don't have the players to do this throughout a match.

If we can't keep possession, then we need adopt a slightly more pragmatic approach.

In a nutshell, I'm afraid.

Wotherspiniesta
24-03-2010, 01:24 PM
Maybe this touchline ban will be a blessing in disguise??

He won't be able to scream at the players from the stand, and if he does they won't hear him.

And maybe it will give him a better perspective on the shape of the team? :confused:

Twa Cairpets
24-03-2010, 02:08 PM

He won't be able to scream at the players from the stand, and if he does they won't hear him.

And maybe it will give him a better perspective on the shape of the team? :confused:

I hadnt thought of that - good point.

Ritchie
24-03-2010, 02:26 PM

doubt it tbh. :boo hoo:

NorthNorfolkHFC
24-03-2010, 02:49 PM
his tactics will still be set no matter where he sits.

i think the guy is great, bleeds hibs like a lot of the fans on here but he is struggling.

falkirk on saturday is now huge, he has a week in instill some degree of confidence into the players and motivate them.

there is much talk of the players motivating themselves but in my opinion it is the role of the coach to ascertain what drives every player physically and pyschologically.

if tactics/attitudes don't change by saturday.......dare i say it, Yogi should go!!!:boo hoo:

JimBHibees
24-03-2010, 04:18 PM

I like Yogi, I think he has genuine passion, and lets face it, he's not the first Hibs manager to fail to win us the Scottish Cup. (The threads calling for his head are way out of order - chopping and changing managers every season just is not the way to go).

Tend to agree. It does seem to be a constant barrage for the players. Most are experienced and know when they havent done well or have made a mistake however it appears every single mistake is blasted which IMO isnt great management. Fair enough have a pop if someone is a bit slack or appears complacent however he needs to step back a bit. I think there have been a number of studies which appears to indicate coaching input from the sidelines has minimal effect during a game.

He appears to be stubbornly sticking to the same formation or accommodating certain players. Personally I dont think we can play 3 strikers, either Nish, Deek or Stokes needs to start from the bench. I actually think the touchline ban may be at a very good time for JH and maybe make him reconsider how he does a few things. IMO he can still do a decent job however at the moment he needs to be asking for more advice either within the club e.g his assistant, Petrie etc or more probably other managers he can trust such as McLeish.

Forza Fred
24-03-2010, 04:32 PM

Excellent post, and the actions of players 'responding' to the bench at times suggests this is spot on.

ahibby
24-03-2010, 04:34 PM
Super OP and my commendations and condolences to all who travelled last night, you are all far better supporters than I am. The OP makes good points about Yogi and probably hits the nail exactamenti on the head. I don't think a leopard can change its spots and so I can't see an improvement, but I live in hope, for the club's and the fans' sake, oh and for Yogi's sake too.

Spike Mandela
24-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Someone needs to sit him down a tell him the 4-3-3 come 4-4-2 ain't working!

Take his pick and drop either Nish, Stokes or Riordan to the bench and get a proper midfield that competes!

Oh, and stop changing goalies willy nilly!

(((Fergus)))
24-03-2010, 07:18 PM

I think you are spot on about the bawling and shouting. It inhibits players, prevents them using their initiative and breeds resentment. This applies not only to Yogi but also to certain ***** in the stands.

Generally Yogi would be better served by shutting his gob (Brian McLaughin in particular must be praying Yogi gets the bullet) and opening his eyes and ears.

hibsbollah
24-03-2010, 07:24 PM
I think you are spot on about the bawling and shouting. It inhibits players, prevents them using their initiative and breeds resentment. This applies not only to Yogi but also to certain ***** in the stands.

Generally Yogi would be better served by shutting his gob (Brian McLaughin in particular must be praying Yogi gets the bullet) and opening his eyes and ears.

It actually annoyed me more when he wasnt shouting at Tynecastle last weekend. From about 65-80minutes he was just leaning against the advertising boards with his arms crossed, looking like someone had stolen his crayons, as if he had given up trying to influence the game.

hibbymark
24-03-2010, 08:01 PM
We have to remember that yogi is part of a double act and Brian Rice
seems to be the calming go between Yogi and the players. We have decent players that carried us earlier in the season i just think we have no balance to the side in terms of physical presence and most weeks even making substitutions wouldnt change this. This makes us predictable and easy to play against at this time of the season when pitches are poor and games decend into a battle.I have to say that i could count on one hand how many times i think we have played well even during the "we can win the league" period we only played well in parts of games i.e first half v Dun Utd at easter rd.We still have no shape or pattern to our play and with only 10 or so games left this season i turn up every week and im not really sure what system we are trying to play.Last night was hard to take for all of us and yogi will be hurting and whether its his job or not it cant have been easy to give a interview so soon after the game.Everyone watching regularly can see all of the above and my biggest worry about Yogi is we were comfortably 3rd at the last transfer window when out of all the teams in the league only us and celtic were in a position to strenthen/address our squad weaknesses and what does Yogi do with the funds available? signs a 4th goalie who cant get a seat in the stand never mind a seat on the bench or anywhere near the team and a non fit non goalscoring forward whos had one start at ibrox and very quickly let us know why he couldnt cut it at Rangers,Plymouth or Blackpool. imo that is really bad management.

Criswell
24-03-2010, 08:40 PM
What has concerned me most this season has been the abysmal standard of football served up, even when we we were getting results its been absolutely dire. There is is no way that this current crop of players are as bad as what we are seeing.

For whatever reason, tactics/formations, composition of the team, lack of football nous etc, Hughes just simply isn't getting them to perform as a team.

I wasn't in Dingwall, but I gather there was no real improvement from Saturday's debacle. So much for his for motivational skills. I think he has got to the end of the season to turn it around. I'm not holding my breath.