PDA

View Full Version : Well done the fans who wanted Smith back in goals.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Great shout lads.:thumbsup::top marks

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:40 PM
I suppose its all Gordon Marshalls fault.

Amit
23-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Well done to Yogi who put out the other 10 players too.. most of which have been gash for months now...

Great Shout.. Yogi..!

:greengrin

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Well done to Yogi who put out the 10 players too.. most of which have been gash for months now...

Great Shout.. Yogi..!

Yip, well done to everyone concerned.

The Voice Of Reason
23-03-2010, 11:43 PM

I wasn't one of them.......but surely it is Yogi who should take the flak as he picked him....no ?!?

Hibby 2005
23-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Did the fans put Smith in goal? Did the fans play Riordan in midfield? Did the fans play Thicot and Stevenson as full-backs?

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
23-03-2010, 11:45 PM
Stack has been a SOLID keeper for us, he has a couple of shaky moments at Slumcastle and get's immediately dropped for a guy who couldn't hack League 2 in the biggest game of the season. Fck off Yogi :grr:

Toaods
23-03-2010, 11:45 PM
didn't want Smith in the first place. Has a CV littered with heavy defeats and going out of the cup to smaller sides.

Was he not in the Motherwell team that got emptied up there too?

Amit
23-03-2010, 11:47 PM
Did the fans put Smith in goal? Did the fans play Riordan in midfield? Did the fans play Thicot and Stevenson as full-backs?

Where you not at the meeting..? The one where we get to pick the team...?

I heard there were 5 people at the meeting...

Mr G Stack
Mr G Smith
Mr Y Makalamby
Mr M Brown
Mr T Flynn

Everyone voted for themselves except Mr Y Makalamby...who voted for Mr G Smith so it's his fault..!

Maka GTF..!

:thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
I wasn't one of them.......but surely it is Yogi who should take the flak as he picked him....no ?!?

No, that was the manager, and he should be taking the blame, along with those players. But what it does say is the vast majority wanted Smith back in goal, and he cost us the game. Its easy this football management eh.:wink:

truehibernian
I think you could have put Rik Waller in goals tonight and it wouldn't have mattered a jot. But seeing as you are in that mood, I wanted Smith in goals...........so come on then......fight fight fight fight :faf:

The Harp
23-03-2010, 11:49 PM

Are you seriously trying to say Yogi was influenced by the posters on Hibs.net re his choice of keeper?!? :confused:

CallumLaidlaw
23-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Not seen the goal, but I still think after seeing a number of performances of both goalies that smith is a much better all round goalie. We cant be saying a keeper is hopeless when they make 1 error because of our keeping past

vahibbie
23-03-2010, 11:50 PM

Nout to do with anyone on here.
Yogi can't read this or, Bamba would be in midfield, Deek would be a striker, Stevenson would be dropped, Murray would be captain...etc...etc..

Did you go up?
Would have been better staying local, good win for Blackpool:agree:

23-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Well, the guy made the costliest keeper blunder I can recall for many many years. Zibi and Makalamity SQUARED!

Again, not totally slating Smith, he's a dumpling so what. but Yogi is the real clown.:grr: And fans who wanted in Smith for Stack are next :devil:

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Are you seriously trying to say Yogi was influenced by the posters on Hibs.net re his choice of keeper?!? :confused:

Not at all, just pointing out the keyboard managers might not be as good as they think.:wink:

The Voice Of Reason
23-03-2010, 11:54 PM
I would have kept Stack in goals. However I would not have dropped Smith in the first place!

Not easy being a manager right enough........but they are well paid for it and stand or fall by their decisions !

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:55 PM
I would have kept Stack in goals. However I would not have dropped Smith in the first place!

Not easy being a manager right enough........but they are well paid for it and stand or fall by their decisions !

:agree:

IWasThere2016
23-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Not at all, just pointing out the keyboard managers might not be as good as they think.:wink:

But not all did - so just the minority are better than Yogi then :wink:

23-03-2010, 11:57 PM
Smith was dropped because the team suffered a five goal reverse, you can argue he shouldn't have been dropped for that but Stack had been excellent before the back injury, way better than what we've had to put up with in goal for years. Yogi BLUNDERED by putting him in tonight. Yogi = dumpling.

Toaods
23-03-2010, 11:58 PM

exactly...all the clamour to oust Maka and where have we gone since?

backwards at a rate of knots in allowing any standard of oponnent to open us up and worse still lost to Hearts, something Maka rarely did.

Disagree with me all you like, the statistics don't lie......:devil:

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:58 PM
But not all did - so just the minority are better than Yogi then :wink:

I think it was the majority, were you one of that majority?

marinello59
23-03-2010, 11:59 PM
We fail to progress in the cup after TWO games against Ross County yet it is the keeper to blame for the entire 180 minutes of failure? :confused:

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:59 PM
exactly...all the clamour to oust Maka and where have we gone since?

backwards at a rate of knots in allowing any standard of oponnent to open us up and worse still lost to Hearts, something Maka rarely did.

Disagree with me all you like, the statistics don't lie......:devil:

Hibs goalkeepers 1 Gordon Marshall 0. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 12:02 AM
We fail to progress in the cup after TWO games against Ross County yet it is the keeper to blame for the entire 180 minutes of failure? :confused:

We'd have still been in the cup, had we a keeper on the park who could do the very basic act of catching a ball though.

IWasThere2016
24-03-2010, 12:02 AM
I think it was the majority, were you one of that majority?

So do I - you need to read my post again. And for the record, I didn't slate Stack or call for Smith to be re-instated :wink:

24-03-2010, 12:03 AM

Whose fault is it for that 87th minute goal that put us out then? You tell me. :confused:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 12:03 AM
So do I - you need to read my post again. And for the record, I didn't slate Stack or call for Smith to be re-instated :wink:

Ah. :greengrin

Toaods
24-03-2010, 12:06 AM
Hibs goalkeepers 1 Gordon Marshall 0. :wink:

Hibs Goalkeepers - 5 Gordon Marshall - 0

marinello59
24-03-2010, 12:07 AM
Whose fault is it for that 87th minute goal that put us out then? You tell me. :confused:

Why don't you look up front and blame the strikers for missed chances or to the midfield for not giving a decent supply to the strikers or to the defenders for making sure the chance for Ross County to score in the first place did not present itself or to the manager for failing to send the players out in the correct formation? You can't blame one man for defeat in a team game.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Why don't you look up front and blame the strikers for missed chances or to the midfield for not giving a decent supply to the strikers or to the defenders for making sure the chance for Ross County to score in the first place did not present itself or to the manager for failing to send the players out in the correct formation? You can't blame one man for defeat in a team game.

The defence, midfield and attack did not lose us the game though. It was 1-1, when the keeper made a right hash of that cross, my granny could have caught that, and she's been deid for years. A shocking error, one that knocked us out the cup.:boo hoo:

BEEJ
24-03-2010, 12:12 AM
We'd have still been in the cup, had we a keeper on the park who could do the very basic act of catching a ball though.
So you know for a fact that we would have won it in ET or through a closing penalty decider at the end?

Give it a rest. :greengrin

24-03-2010, 12:12 AM

I am blaming him, because he cost us the goal that put us out with minutes left. If he doesn't knock over Murray and land on his arse we go to extra time. He didn't do his job, so he's to blame. We had the goal scored, we just needed to make no basic errors, and Smith produced a classic. As stated, Yogi is the real villain for picking the boy.

BEEJ
24-03-2010, 12:13 AM
The defence, midfield and attack did not lose us the game though. It was 1-1, when the keeper made a right hash of that cross, my granny could have caught that, and she's been deid for years. A shocking error, one that knocked us out the cup.:boo hoo:
The lengths you go to, to deflect criticism from Yogi are legendary. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 12:14 AM
So you know for a fact that we would have won it in ET or through a closing penalty decider at the end?

Give it a rest. :greengrin

You know what i meant, he made sure we did not get extra time, or even penalties, the rest of the team made sure we were not losing.

marinello59
24-03-2010, 12:15 AM
I am blaming him, because he cost us the goal that put us out with minutes left. If he doesn't knock over Murray and land on his arse we go to extra time. He didn't do his job, so he's to blame. We had the goal scored, we just needed to make no basic errors, and Smith produced a classic. As stated, Yogi is the real villain for picking the boy.

A two game tie was lost JUST because we had the wrong keeper? Over 180 minutes of football he was the only Hibs player to get it wrong? Seriously?

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 12:17 AM
The lengths you go to, to deflect criticism from Yogi are legendary. :wink:

I am not trying to deflect anything, yogi must take the blame for the way the teams set out. He must also take the blame for picking that clown in goal, surely he'd be better with his pal stack playing?:wink:

24-03-2010, 12:26 AM
A two game tie was lost JUST because we had the wrong keeper? Over 180 minutes of football he was the only Hibs player to get it wrong? Seriously?

By your logic, if the ref tonight had pointed to the spot, for no reason, and given Ross County a penalty in the 87th minute it wouldn't have been that refs fault we went out because the game was over 180 or 90 mins and we should have scored more.... :blah:

With greatest respect, you're talking single fish. Smith's blunder was his responsibility and his alone, and it cost us the game.

PhoenixHibee
24-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Seriously, it's not like we were taken by surprise by some crazy cool tactics that baffled us and knocked us out.
We are talking about a 1st division team ( I know they might be SPL soon) that we played at home and somehow we managed not to destroy them then, but , days later knowing the I'm sure limited abilty they have managed to go up there and be just as pish, heartless, and devoid of skill, effort or ideas to take care of them and therefore become a laughing stock for now and maybe the next 125 years it takes us to have a team who can actually hack it, take the pressure and win this ******ing thing that seems like should have happened long ago and not left us in this misery year after ******ing year until my son has to pass it on to his son.

marinello59
24-03-2010, 12:32 AM
By your logic, if the ref tonight had pointed to the spot, for no reason, and given Ross County a penalty in the 87th minute it wouldn't have been that refs fault we went out because the game was over 180 or 90 mins and we should have scored more.... :blah:

With greatest respect, you're talking single fish. Smith's blunder was his responsibility and his alone, and it cost us the game.

How about I put it this way then?
Did the whole team deserve a win over the two ties? Did each and every one of them perform to the best of their ability except the keeper?

truehibernian
24-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Tactics were as follows

Ross County 4-5-1, load midfield, deny space, chase and harry, set pieces vital, high workrate, teamwork, good substitutions

Hibs 4-3-3, no pace, no width, punt up to Nish, offside......ball through to Nish....offside.........Riordan.....posted missing........subs.......eventually and pointless. Keeper clanger..........oot the cup !

Plenty time if we scoot doon the A9 to get one last dance and a nightcap at the Burke & Hare :agree:

monktonharp
24-03-2010, 12:36 AM
I wanted a goalie change,as Stack would not come off his line,not knowing that the goalie change would **** -up,by diving over his own player wi' 90 secs to go and help the ba' over his own line.:boo hoo:

cheltenhamhibee
24-03-2010, 12:45 AM

as if it would make any bloody difference because of what any one says on here !!!! oh i forgot we all pick the team !!! how about i say get Van der Sar in our goal ? maybe now i've said it it will happen !!! :bitchy::bitchy::bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 12:48 AM
as if it would make any bloody difference because of what any one says on here !!!! oh i forgot we all pick the team !!! how about i say get Van der Sar in our goal ? maybe now i've said it it will happen !!! :bitchy::bitchy::bitchy:

Have we signed Van der sar? Just wait until Marshall gets his hands on him.

cheltenhamhibee
24-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Have we signed Van der sar? Just wait until Marshall gets his hands on him.

we might have now you've mentioned it as well !!!

truehibernian
24-03-2010, 01:09 AM
Riordan = a cruel joke of a player

Nish = I was onside in the terracing more than him......just leave Hibs now.

Miller = Nae wonder Keane lost patience with him.

McBride = more worried about his gammy foot than kicking the ball.

Thicot = Get yer coat

Stevenson = Lord of The Rings 4

:faf:

Some texted ratings from my mate who is driving home. Apparently there was some bother after the game too with fans and police, with some Hibs fans wanting to have a go at the team when they left :rolleyes:

24-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Why did Hughes take off Stokes and leave on Nish with minutes left, that question has to be asked. We were going to play extra time and take pens with Nish instead of Stokes were we? GTF Hughes.:grr:

bubblesmorrison
24-03-2010, 01:26 AM
mark brown on saturday anyone

or even maka :D

bighairyfaeleith
24-03-2010, 06:01 AM
I posted on another thread a couple of days ago that changing the goalie would make no difference if you didn't sort the midfield first, then the defence then look at the goalie. I was right :boo hoo:

We need to get away from the gung ho reactions and take a more structured look at the team. Yogi please start by looking at the formation, then look at the best most consistent players that compliment each other to fill the positions. The finally, and most importantly play from the back. Stop launching the ball up the filed and start to pass our way up the pitch again.

Thats what I would do anyway:blah::blah:

Oscar Lomax
24-03-2010, 06:51 AM
I wanted Smith in as he is a better goalkeeper than Stack, but lets face it, he has a total of ten men, yes ten, that the opposing team have to get past to reach him.
The defence in front of him at times is non-existant. Like against Hearts on Saturday, where was Bamba at set pieces???? Missing as usual.
I never thought I would say it but boy, they miss big Jonesy !!!

erskine-hibby
24-03-2010, 07:58 AM
The blame is not on the fans who wanted Smith back, he should not have been dropped in the first place.
No, the blame is all on Yogi. He can't pick, motivate or even set out a team, other than have them all out of position. The worst thing is it has been clear for weeks, but he has refused to budge and this has cost us the chance at the cup and possibly blown our season as a whole:grr:.

Danderhall Hibs
24-03-2010, 08:03 AM
Seriously, it's not like we were taken by surprise by some crazy cool tactics that baffled us and knocked us out.
We are talking about a 1st division team ( I know they might be SPL soon) that we played at home and somehow we managed not to destroy them then, but , days later knowing the I'm sure limited abilty they have managed to go up there and be just as pish, heartless, and devoid of skill, effort or ideas to take care of them and therefore become a laughing stock for now and maybe the next 125 years it takes us to have a team who can actually hack it, take the pressure and win this ******ing thing that seems like should have happened long ago and not left us in this misery year after ******ing year until my son has to pass it on to his son.

:agree:

Speedway
24-03-2010, 08:10 AM

Are you still seeing 'progress', G?

hibee_girl
24-03-2010, 08:16 AM

Do we have one?

Allant1981
24-03-2010, 08:20 AM
Do we have one?

Smith has done well in pretty much every game he has played, personally i wouldnt have played him last night as i think the team constantly being changed isnt doing any good but before last night most people wouldnt have argued with smith being in goals, just a pity when the keeper has a mare then it ends up in defeat, if smith was to play every game between now and the end of the season i wouldnt grumble

MussyHibby
24-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Just seen the goal and certainly Smith DOES NOT cover himself in glory, however to suggest it is of Zibi or McNeil proportions is exagerated.

He had the guts to come for the ball, hey, he may have even shouted for Murray(?) to leave it but Murray headers backwards!!!!!! I'm not sure Smith even got much of a touch?

Obviously we're looking for another scapegoat and he'll do.:agree:

TornadoHibby
24-03-2010, 09:21 AM

I think this is possibly the most crass and ill thought out post and thread of the last 12 hours or so IMO! :cool2:

BH, who is it that picks the Hibs team that participates in each match? :confused:

Is it the fans who express various opinions on here and, therefore, if their opinions can be construed as being "culpable" in some way for a match result in a match where many of those same fans are not even watching or listening to the action, can those fans be somehow responsible for the actions of the players selected to participate in that match!? :confused:

Waiting with baited breath! :wink:

GreenPJ
24-03-2010, 09:46 AM

Nothing to do with a midfield who could not retain the ball in the first game or the complete apathy shown by two of our 'prized' strikers in the second half of the first tie. Nothing at all to do with a make shift defence that includes a complete loose cannon in Bamba who makes it a nightmare for goalkeepers to work with.

Oh aye you are right :yawn:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:03 AM
I think this is possibly the most crass and ill thought out post and thread of the last 12 hours or so IMO! :cool2:

Is it the fans who express various opinions on here and, therefore, if their opinions can be construed as being "culpable" in some way for a match result in a match where many of those same fans are not even watching or listening to the action, can those fans be somehow responsible for the actions of the players selected to participate in that match!? :confused:

Waiting with baited breath! :wink:
No need to wait long.:wink:
Its the managers who picks the team, we all know that, but the keyboard managers on here mostly wanted Stack punted and Smith back in goal. Well that never worked, did it? This managers lark is not as easy as it seems eh? :devil:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:05 AM
Nothing to do with a midfield who could not retain the ball in the first game or the complete apathy shown by two of our 'prized' strikers in the second half of the first tie. Nothing at all to do with a make shift defence that includes a complete loose cannon in Bamba who makes it a nightmare for goalkeepers to work with.

Oh aye you are right :yawn:

Did Stack not get the blame for our defeat on Saturday? How is last night different?:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2010, 10:33 AM

Another tiresome post

TornadoHibby
24-03-2010, 10:36 AM
No need to wait long.:wink:
Its the managers who picks the team, we all know that, but the keyboard managers on here mostly wanted Stack punted and Smith back in goal. Well that never worked, did it? This managers lark is not as easy as it seems eh? :devil:

But how does "what the fans want" have any bearing on what happens on match day and on the pitch! :confused:

You're trying to change the OP to something else if I'm not wrong! :confused:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:47 AM
But how does "what the fans want" have any bearing on what happens on match day and on the pitch! :confused:

You're trying to change the OP to something else if I'm not wrong! :confused:

It just show that, we the fans shout and scream about how bad this player, and that player are, and should be replaced. Yet when they get their wish, nothing different happens. We dont know any better than the guy in charge as much as we think we do. And its easy to say we should be doing this, and we should be doing that, but when that does not work, what do we do then?

We should be beating Ross County, but didnt, the team needs a major overhaul imho, with at least 5 new players needed.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:48 AM
Another tiresome post

Just continuing my good work.

erskine-hibby
24-03-2010, 10:51 AM
It just show that, we the fans shout and scream about how bad this player, and that player are, and should be replaced. Yet when they get their wish, nothing different happens. We dont know any better than the guy in charge as much as we think we do. And its easy to say we should be doing this, and we should be doing that, but when that does not work, what do we do then?

We should be beating Ross County, but didnt, the team needs a major overhaul imho, with at least 5 new players needed.

You could add 11 new players, but with Yogis tactics the outcome would be the same.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:54 AM
You could add 11 new players, but with Yogis tactics the outcome would be the same.

Under mixu we were not challenging for anything. Under Yogi we are.

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Just continuing my good work.

Looking at the winner, Smith comes to punch, whilst Murray heads it away from his fists...... Not sure how you can lay blame solely at Smith:confused:

erskine-hibby

We won't be for long if things keep going as they are and if Yogi doesn't change his tactics and formation we will be where we were last season.

Baldy Foghorn

Is this stubborness or blind faith on your part?

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Looking at the winner, Smith comes to punch, whilst Murray heads it away from his fists...... Not sure how you can lay blame solely at Smith:confused:

Stack would have left it for Murray to head it away, not got in his way. Or Stack would have come and punched it clear. See this football management is easy.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Is this stubborness or blind faith on your part?

Reality, tell me how i'm wrong?

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2010, 11:01 AM
Stack would have left it for Murray to head it away, not got in his way. Or Stack would have come and punched it clear. See this football management is easy.

Smith was behind Murray, how do you think he got in his way?:confused:

Baldy Foghorn
24-03-2010, 11:03 AM

We have been murder for most of the season, but results went our way until Xmas..... The football is dreadful to watch, the formations and tactics are unbelievably bad, and our manager is stuborn, and can't change games in our favour when we are behind....

Indeed progress...........

erskine-hibby
24-03-2010, 11:06 AM

The reality is we are papped out the cup by a lower division team, the reality is we were humped by the worst hearts side in years (injury ridden too), the reality is we are pushed around by just about every club in the league, the reality is we have a manager who doesn't seem to know how to set up a team, change things around, admit his formations aren't working and the reality is we are going backwards at a great rate of knots.

MussyHibby
24-03-2010, 11:13 AM
The reality is we are papped out the cup by a lower division team, the reality is we were humped by the worst hearts side in years (injury ridden too), the reality is we are pushed around by just about every club in the league, the reality is we have a manager who doesn't seem to know how to set up a team, change things around, admit his formations aren't working and the reality is we are going backwards at a great rate of knots.

And you know all that from listening to the radio? :wink:

Don't disagree with you mind.

erskine-hibby
24-03-2010, 11:17 AM
And you know all that from listening to the radio? :wink:

Don't disagree with you mind.

Aye it's a great medium:greengrin

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 11:34 AM

Watch the goals you twally and tell me Smith is blame :wink:

Always pays to see it before spouting piissh :agree:

Not blamless but certainly not to blame

Woody1985
24-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Not seen the goal, but I still think after seeing a number of performances of both goalies that smith is a much better all round goalie. We cant be saying a keeper is hopeless when they make 1 error because of our keeping past

I would agree with that.

Hibs7
24-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Smith was behind Murray, how do you think he got in his way?:confused:

Stack would NOT have come off his line !!!

Argylehibby
24-03-2010, 12:01 PM

I take it you think Hughes picks his team based on what the majority of people on here post? I must admit I have wondered that myself at times but in the end convinced myself that cant be true or Nish, Rankin and others wouldnt be anywhere near the team.

gillythehibby
24-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I take it you think Hughes picks his team based on what the majority of people on here post? I must admit I have wondered that myself at times but in the end convinced myself that cant be true or Nish, Rankin and others wouldnt be anywhere near the team.

So who would you put in then that would make a real difference ??

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Watch the goals you twally and tell me Smith is blame :wink:

Always pays to see it before spouting piissh :agree:

Not blamless but certainly not to blame

Right tell me why a ball played 3 yards into the 6 yard box was not cleared, or caught by our keeper? Is this not the same criticism Stack has had since he arrived? 3 yards out FFS.

Devine
24-03-2010, 01:15 PM
By signing 3 goalies of reputed (imo very similar) quality, you bring the problems upon yourself. Goalkeeper is one position that imo should rarely be altered. Allow your back 4 to be comfortable and realise the strengths, weaknesses and quirks of that particular goalie.

Having Brown, Stack and Smith on the books will only increase the pressure on Yogi to change it after one or two mistakes. Unnecessary and exactly what we didnt need. The utterly pitiful excuse about 'geeing' up Bamba should be seen as more of a slight on him than Smith, I for one am utterly fed up of the utter guff excuses that come out for dropping players!

erskine-hibby
24-03-2010, 01:17 PM
By signing 3 goalies of reputed (imo very similar) quality, you bring the problems upon yourself. Goalkeeper is one position that imo should rarely be altered. Allow your back 4 to be comfortable and realise the strengths, weaknesses and quirks of that particular goalie.

Having Brown, Stack and Smith on the books will only increase the pressure on Yogi to change it after one or two mistakes. Unnecessary and exactly what we didnt need. The utterly pitiful excuse about 'geeing' up Bamba should be seen as more of a slight on him than Smith, I for one am utterly fed up of the utter guff excuses that come out for dropping players!

Quite right, if that was the case bamba should have been left out or moved into midfield.

Frazerbob
24-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Totally agree with this bit.

This is were the keeper problem of the last few years has stemmed from IMHO Throughout my early years supporting Hibs we had a definate number 1 goalie. The first name on the team sheet every week and he only got replaced if he was injured, suspended or for end of season meaningless games.

Jim MacArthur, Alan Rough, Andy Goram, Jim Leighton, Budgie, they all made mistakes but kept their place in the team week in, week out. We then had the young up and coming keepers like Chris Reid, Jason Gardner etc. They would step in when needed but were basically reserve goalies who would hopefully develop into 1st choice with gradual exposure to the 1st team. Invariably when these guys were called apon they did very well.

Now we have three (or four) keepers of a similar, AVERAGE standard with no obvious number 1. It becomes too easy to chop and change like Hughes has done the last couple of months. The defence do not get used to one particular keeper and his strengths, weaknesses and wee quircks.

H18sry
24-03-2010, 02:06 PM
Right tell me why a ball played 3 yards into the 6 yard box was not cleared, or caught by our keeper? Is this not the same criticism Stack has had since he arrived? 3 yards out FFS.

Smith went to clear it and Murray mis-headed it over his hands, if Nids had made a clean header or got out of Smiths way we would not be discussing this now.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Smith went to clear it and Murray mis-headed it over his hands, if Nids had made a clean header or got out of Smiths way we would not be discussing this now.

Smith went to punch it with both hands, he missed it, he did not even jump as high as Murray. Any keeper going for that ball should be going for it as if he's going through a brick wall, knocking everything out his way. But no, he flaps like a 5 year old, and hey presto, like maka did regularly, we lose a goal through a goalkeepers bad decision making.

PS this all happened 3 yards from goal. If thats not the keepers territory, what is?

H18sry
24-03-2010, 02:38 PM
Smith went to punch it with both hands, he missed it, he did not even jump as high as Murray. Any keeper going for that ball should be going for it as if he's going through a brick wall, knocking everything out his way. But no, he flaps like a 5 year old, and hey presto, like maka did regularly, we lose a goal through a goalkeepers bad decision making.

PS this all happened 3 yards from goal. If thats not the keepers territory, what is?

Murray got to the ball before Smith so how can Smith get to the ball:confused:, you started this thread before seeing any footage IMO so you are sticking to it no matter what, why not just man up admit you are wrong :wink:

Allant1981
24-03-2010, 02:41 PM

murray was jumping right in front of him, do you seriously think smith was to blame or you at the wind up, from what i heard there was a shout from smith but murray jumped for it anyway.

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 02:45 PM

No. Stack does not come for balls full stop.
At least 3 defenders had an opportunity to clear both balls in to the box and definately did not help the keeper.
Dont make judgements before you see the alleged crime in future.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Murray got to the ball before Smith so how can Smith get to the ball:confused:, you started this thread before seeing any footage IMO so you are sticking to it no matter what, why not just man up admit you are wrong :wink:

So tell me this, why is stack slaughtered for staying on his line? Yet when superman try's to go for a ball 3 yards from his line he's not? He failed to reach a ball 3 yards from his line, a defender beat him in the jump for the ball 3 yards from his line. Would a keeper not have height advantage? When keepers clear their lines by going through everyone, its called good keeping in my book. Going for crosses, flying through the air and missing is not.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 03:18 PM
No. Stack does not come for balls full stop.
At least 3 defenders had an opportunity to clear both balls in to the box and definately did not help the keeper.
Dont make judgements before you see the alleged crime in future.

I have seen it?

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I have seen it?

when you made your original post ? or had you pre-judged the error on radio evidence and now refuse to back down :greengrin

vahibbie
24-03-2010, 03:23 PM

Murray got in the keepers way and got to the ball first. I doubt Smith was expecting that hence the reson he didn't go through the ball.
Even so once Murray headed the ball back we had defenders at the back post who also missed it.
As said previously Smith mibbe could have done better but he was not the main culprit.
Think you were a bit too quick last night to dish out blame.

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 03:25 PM
when you made your original post ? or had you pre-judged the error on radio evidence and now refuse to back down :greengrin

I saw it before i posted.

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I saw it before i posted.

OKAY :wink::wink::wink:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 03:28 PM
OKAY :wink::wink::wink:

Check the times of my post.

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 03:31 PM
Check the times of my post.

I Did 11.39 thats why i said okay :wink:

imho if you had seen it makes your post even more silly :agree::agree:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 03:31 PM
I Did 11.39 thats why i said okay :wink:

imho if you had seen it makes your post even more silly :agree::agree:

vahibbie
24-03-2010, 03:33 PM

Why's it funny:confused:

Allant1981
24-03-2010, 03:35 PM

he is at the wind up so i wouldnt bother with him

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 03:35 PM

I find lots of things funny. :faf: Even your post. :faf::faf:

Sammy7nil
24-03-2010, 03:36 PM

It must be a BLACKPOOL thing :greengrin

just making himself look more clueless on this point

vahibbie
24-03-2010, 03:50 PM
I find lots of things funny. :faf: Even your post. :faf::faf:

Aye well done.
I suppose it's a easy way out now your initial post seems to be leaking substance.

:bye::bye:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Aye well done.
I suppose it's a easy way out now your initial post seems to be leaking substance.

:bye::bye:

Ask yourself this, if that had been Stack in goal, do you think there might be a thread on here, asking why he'd stayed on his line again, and not clattered all and sundry to clear the ball?

vahibbie
24-03-2010, 04:14 PM
Ask yourself this, if that had been Stack in goal, do you think there might be a thread on here, asking why he'd stayed on his line again, and not clattered all and sundry to clear the ball?

I think there may well have been, after all it's not unknown for Stack to be reluctant to come out for a cross.
However, while admiting that Smith could have possibly done better the fact that Murray jumped right infront of him and made contact first is hardly Smith's fault. Did Smith call for "keepers ball" and Murray put him off or did Murray call "mine" and Smith held back.....do you know.:confused:
Even then I think once it had gone past Smith there where 2 defenders at the back who both missed it.

I just think it a wee bit unfair to lay all the blame at Smith's doorstep. I'd have the whole fekkin lot of them running up and down sand dunes till they puked....then start again.

Phil MaGlass
24-03-2010, 04:19 PM
Pretty poor this time to pick on one goalkeeper when the team has been pi5h/mingin for half a season and absolutely attrocious in the last 3 games.

TornadoHibby
24-03-2010, 05:25 PM

I still don't get it! :confused:

Your thread heading suggested to me (at least) that you seemed to think that Smith being in goal was somehow the fault of those fans who supported that action after Stack's dismal performance on Saturday! :agree:

What I think you are now saying is that we are as able to pick the right players as anyone at all including the manager and that we know as little as he does? :confused:

I doubt if Yogi decided on Smith as a result of what was posted on here and, if he did, then we have bigger problems than we thought! :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
24-03-2010, 05:31 PM
I still don't get it! :confused:

Your thread heading suggested to me (at least) that you seemed to think that Smith being in goal was somehow the fault of those fans who supported that action after Stack's dismal performance on Saturday! :agree:

What I think you are now saying is that we are as able to pick the right players as anyone at all including the manager and that we know as little as he does? :confused:

I doubt if Yogi decided on Smith as a result of what was posted on here and, if he did, then we have bigger problems than we thought! :cool2:

My point was, football management is not as easy as we think. We wanted rid of the keeper who stays on his line. Yet his replacment fly's through the air missing the ball, when he does come off his line. Its easy to manage behind a keyboard.:wink:

TornadoHibby
24-03-2010, 05:35 PM
My point was, football management is not as easy as we think. We wanted rid of the keeper who stays on his line. Yet his replacment fly's through the air missing the ball, when he does come off his line. Its easy to manage behind a keyboard.:wink:

We didn't just want a change for his failure to come for crosses IIRC!:wink:

There was also the matter of horrendous kicking and disappearing from his goal randomly and ending up some 35 yds away totally stranded! :agree:

It wasn't just about Saturday although that was bad enough and he wasn't solely responsible for Saturday's defeat as we have been shocking as a team for a number of weeks now IMO! :agree:

Spike Mandela
24-03-2010, 06:48 PM

Exactly. Having to keep 4 first team goalies happy is almost impossible. First little error and you've got three guys banging on your door asking to replace the current incumbent!!

One of a few strange decisions by Yogi this year? Hopefully we'll see a more settled goalie situation next season.

db03
24-03-2010, 06:53 PM

I have yet to see Stack come for any ball. I didnt say I wanted Smith in goal but after saturdays performance from Stack, we had to change the keeper. If Maka had made that mistake on saturday would you have wanted him dropped and someone else in goal??