PDA

View Full Version : East mains conveyor belt?

King Paddy
22-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I watch how hearts have brought through a number of young players from their youth team this season, and have done pretty well. Young guys like Glen,Thomson, Templeton and Robertson. Why have we only brought through David Weatherspoon? when the talk at the end of last season was we would blood at least 4 from the youth acadamie. Has our conveyer belt which gave us Brown,Thomson,Whittiker,O'conner dried up?, only time will tell but considering the investment we have made on east mains we should be reaping the benefits. One player is a paltry return IMHO and i can only hope that next season will see a few breakthrough into our squad. Has the lose of Donald Park been the main issue in this respect?. :confused::confused:

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Hanlon's the same age as Wotherspoon. Byrne's been in and out of the squad but can't get a game due to Riordan, Stokes, Nish, Benji, Gow - and technically we only had him for 1 or 2 seasons of age-group football after he left Norwich.

Hearts bought Templeton from a 3rd Division side - so you can score him off the list. Who's this Robertson you mention?

Sir David Gray
22-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Hanlon's the same age as Wotherspoon.

Hearts bought Templeton from a 3rd Division side - so you can score him off the list. Who's this Robertson you mention?

I think he means Scott Robinson.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 10:14 PM

I'm still no further forward TBH.

Sir David Gray
22-03-2010, 10:16 PM

He's been involved in the Hearts first team for the last two years, since he was 16.

He was the guy who scored at Ibrox in their 1-1 draw a couple of months ago.

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 10:17 PM

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/47176000/jpg/_47176261_robinson_282.jpg

Striker who scored against the hun at Ibrox on Jan 23rd. Youngest player ever in SPL history and for Hearts.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 10:17 PM
He's been involved in the Hearts first team for the last two years, since he was 16.

He was the guy who scored at Ibrox in their 1-1 draw a couple of months ago.

That rings a bell. They played another young guy against us in January as well - does their conveyor belt mean that they get a game or 2 then disappear again?

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 10:19 PM
That rings a bell. They played another young guy against us in January as well - does their conveyor belt mean that they get a game or 2 then disappear again?

You're thinking of Gordon Smith maybe, who scored for them and is named after THE Gordon Smith as him and his family are all big Hibees.

And yes. Rocky Visconte, anyone?
:Ummm:

The_Todd
22-03-2010, 10:19 PM
We've had East Mains for 2 years. They've rented Riccarton for a fair bit longer than that so I don't think it's fair to compare the quantity of output just yet.

On the other hand, our Under 19's won the league last year, so we're obviously producing them, no? They can't break into our squad right now since we've also bought in a lot of players whereas they haven't.

Not time to panic about our youth setup just yet.

col02
22-03-2010, 10:20 PM

More than some of our all conquering under 19s get that is for sure. Hanlon broke through last season and this season looks as though only Wotherspoon will make any impact in the first team. We are behind Motherwell and possibly Hearts at the moment imho in bringing through young players into the first team squad which is a pity as they would bring with them a bit freshness with them and possibly kick some established players out of their comfort zone.

Phil D. Rolls
I watch how hearts have brought through a number of young players from their youth team this season, and have done pretty well. Young guys like Glen,Thomson, Templeton and Robertson. Why have we only brought through David Weatherspoon? when the talk at the end of last season was we would blood at least 4 from the youth acadamie. Has our conveyer belt which gave us Brown,Thomson,Whittiker,O'conner dried up?, only time will tell but considering the investment we have made on east mains we should be reaping the benefits. One player is a paltry return IMHO and i can only hope that next season will see a few breakthrough into our squad. Has the lose of Donald Park been the main issue in this respect?. :confused::confused:

We've been splashing the cash this season, and bringing in experienced players from elsewhere. Whether that has worked or not we'll know when the season is over.

Those players that have come through for Hearts are not in the same league as Brown, Thomson, O'Connor, Whittaker, Riordan and Fletcher. Then you add in Hogg, Murphy and others that Mowbray brought to ER and developed, and it would seem that Hearts have a wee bit to go when it comes to developing talent.

The fact is the Tynecastle publicity machine trumpets (how apt) the fact that they have promoted a player to the first team, as if he is the future of Scottish Football. Very few of them actually make the grade. It doesn't stop the thicker element of the Hearts support - and I include those that sneak over here in disguise - from swallowing every word.

Hibs may have not hit the giddy heights that the big team has, but when it comes down to it, the best measure of how successful a selling club is, is the balance sheet. Would that it was otherwise, but it's the way it is.

Sir David Gray

Do you mean the guy who scored against us? If so, that was Gordon Smith.

Nakedmanoncrack

Jason Donovan in Neighbours?

Mikey
22-03-2010, 10:22 PM
It doesn't stop the thicker element of the Hearts support - and I include those that sneak over here in disguise - from swallowing every word.

Don't forget the thick Hibs fans.

cammy1969
22-03-2010, 10:24 PM
You're thinking of Gordon Smith maybe, who scored for them and is named after THE Gordon Smith as him and his family are all big Hibees.

And yes. Rocky Visconte, anyone?
:Ummm:
gordon is not a hibee all his family ar jambos brother cousins uncles the only hibee is his dad who played for the jambos as well

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 10:25 PM
gordon is not a hibee all his family ar jambos brother cousins uncles the only hibee is his dad who played for the jambos as well

Horrendous proof-reading. He's a Jambo, it's his parents who are Hibees. Apologies!

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 10:27 PM
More than some of our all conquering under 19s get that is for sure. Hanlon broke through last season and this season looks as though only Wotherspoon will make any impact in the first team. We are behind Motherwell and possibly Hearts at the moment imho in bringing through young players into the first team squad which is a pity as they would bring with them a bit freshness with them and possibly kick some established players out of their comfort zone.

Through necessity. Glen, Smith, Templeton and the other one wouldn't get a game for our 1st team.

Franck is God
22-03-2010, 10:30 PM

Hearts have been forced into using their younger players this season through neccessity more than choice.

We have plenty young talented players at the club but it is a big step from under 19s to first team, its actually pretty remarkable that both Wotherspoon and Hanlon have made the jump so easily.

The likes of Byrne, Currie, Welsh, Booth and Moyes who also got full time contracts have suffered from the lack of a reserve league this year, for one we haven't been able to track their progress as easily and they have not really had the platform to push for a first team place. Its why we have sent them out on loan at different stages this season, the conveyor belt is still producing but there's no point in pushing them into action until they're ready for it.

oconnors_strip
22-03-2010, 11:02 PM
i think some people are over reacting to seeing this season's under 19s results. we should not compare last season to this! majority of this season's players are only just turned 17. this year is all about a learning curve and building a team for next season.

as someone else has mentioned, the lack of reserve league has hampered the break through of youngsters like byrne, currie etc. hopefully its reinstated for next season and we can see these lads competing for a regular place in the team.

and as for donald park not being here anymore, he hasnt been here for years and i dont think has anything to do with it.

lyonhibs
22-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Through necessity. Glen, Smith, Templeton and the other one wouldn't get a game for our 1st team.

I beg to differ on that one. Every single time Glen gets more than 2 minutes against us, he looks dangerous and/or scores.

He's the only Hearts striker - IMO - that's actually got "it" when it comes to being s decent professional football player.

All the rest are just laughable (not to say we didn't make David Obua look like a target man supreme on Saturday)

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 11:08 PM
I beg to differ on that one. Every single time Glen gets more than 2 minutes against us, he looks dangerous and/or scores.

He's the only Hearts striker - IMO - that's actually got "it" when it comes to being s decent professional football player.

All the rest are just laughable (not to say we didn't make David Obua look like a target man supreme on Saturday)

Would you start him ahead of Stokes, Riordan, Benji, Nish or Gow?

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 11:11 PM
Would you start him ahead of Stokes, Riordan, Benji, Nish or Gow?

That'll be no, no, no and erm no :greengrin

Sir David Gray
22-03-2010, 11:13 PM
That'll be no, no, no and erm no :greengrin

So which one of them WOULD you drop in favour of Glen? :greengrin

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 11:14 PM
So which one of them WOULD you drop in favour of Glen? :greengrin

None of them, as stated :wink:

Sir David Gray
22-03-2010, 11:15 PM
None of them, as stated :wink:

Four nos, five players. :wink:

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Four nos, five players. :wink:

Oops :faf:

Which one's the Brian Kerr?

I wouldn't play Glen ahead of any of them TBH. In fact I think Kurtis Byrne shows better potential than Glen :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 11:20 PM
Oops :faf:

Which one's the Brian Kerr?

I wouldn't play Glen ahead of any of them TBH. In fact I think Kurtis Byrne shows better potential than Glen :agree:

Is Glen taller than our strikers?

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Is Glen taller than our strikers?

Dunno DH :dunno:

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Dunno DH :dunno:

I'm just trying to work out why some folk think he's better than what we've got. Height's an important thing just now.

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm just trying to work out why some folk think he's better than what we've got. Height's an important thing just now.

I take your point. Had a look on Soccerbase but no height/weight given (maybe Nade broke their scales)

KerPlunk
23-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I take your point. Had a look on Soccerbase but no height/weight given (maybe Nade broke their weighbridge.)

Fixed. :rolleyes: