PDA

View Full Version : Media Harry Carpenter dies aged 84.

Toaods
22-03-2010, 08:32 PM
Sad to read of the passing of Harry Carpenter.

Most of the younger brigade on here will probably either have no idea who he was(understandable) or know him from the catch-phrase with Frank Bruno as he rose to the world boxing elite level.

For us more senior dudes, who didn't have the luxury of wall-to-wall football coverage from the likes of Sky Sports, we had to rely on radio or TV for the one-off Saturday night programme or midweek, though the midweek was very rarely live.

Harry Carpenter was a legend as the main anchor man on many a sporting occassion and he also hosted the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, when it was an event rather than so mocked up crap from the Birmingham NECC.

Not one of the English sorts that chunters on about winning the World Cup, a very honest and humble man, who simply loved the job he had for so many years.

Fanks and Goodnite 'Arry - as Big Frank would say...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8580058.stm (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/front_page/8580058.stm)

Alfred E Newman
22-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Harry made his name during the golden age of television. When sporting events on TV were occasions to be savoured. Today it is a media circus and we are the clowns for forking out large sums of money for second rate TV shows plugging so called celebs and endless games of football featuring vastly overpaid players.

truehibernian
22-03-2010, 09:01 PM
100% agree malcolm. I can remember even now his commetary when McGuigan fought Pedrosa on BBC1. Funny how certain commentators are just synonomous with a sport. Motty for football, Walker for formula one, McLaren for rugby, and Carpenter for boxing. They made/make the sport just as interesting and exciting as the players/competitors.

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 09:13 PM
100% agree malcolm. I can remember even now his commetary when McGuigan fought Pedrosa on BBC1. Funny how certain commentators are just synonomous with a sport. Motty for football, Walker for formula one, McLaren for rugby, and Carpenter for boxing. They made/make the sport just as interesting and exciting as the players/competitors.

:top marks

I was going to post something similar myself. Although I'd probably be classed as one of the younger generations, and thus perhaps unaware of his contribution to the sport, 'Arry was Mr Boxing in the same sense as McLaren was Mr Rugby. Even for someone with no interest whatsoever in boxing, I was fully aware of who he was and the effect he had on the sport and its performers. RIP Harry.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-03-2010, 09:15 PM

Kent Walton for wrestling......grapple fans.

Phil D. Rolls
22-03-2010, 09:24 PM
So farewell then Harry Carpenter
I'm off to the small bore rifle event
Yes,that could have been your catchphrase
It's a pity you were the target.

(Know what I mean?)

Phil D. Rolls
22-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Kent Walton for wrestling......grapple fans.

Have a good week till next week!

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 09:32 PM
So farewell then Harry Carpenter
I'm off to the small bore rifle event
Yes,that could have been your catchphrase
It's a pity you were the target.

(Know what I mean?)

By F J Rolls, aged 17 1/2?
:greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
22-03-2010, 09:36 PM
By F J Rolls, aged 17 1/2?
:greengrin

Could well be, I just can't wait for the day he does Baldy Pevsner's eulogy.:greengrin

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
22-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Another legend goes, he was the Bill McLaren of boxing for many years. Just not the same these days :boo hoo:

BEEJ
22-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Sad to read of the passing of Harry Carpenter.

Most of the younger brigade on here will probably either have no idea who he was(understandable) or know him from the catch-phrase with Frank Bruno as he rose to the world boxing elite level.

For us more senior dudes, who didn't have the luxury of wall-to-wall football coverage from the likes of Sky Sports, we had to rely on radio or TV for the one-off Saturday night programme or midweek, though the midweek was very rarely live.

Harry Carpenter was a legend as the main anchor man on many a sporting occassion and he also hosted the BBC Sports Personality of the Year, when it was an event rather than so mocked up crap from the Birmingham NECC.

Not one of the English sorts that chunters on about winning the World Cup, a very honest and humble man, who simply loved the job he had for so many years.

Fanks and Goodnite 'Arry - as Big Frank would say...

Agree with all that. :agree:

That news today got me reminiscing about watching Sportsnight on BBC1 on a Wednesday evening after the 9 o'clock news - I even recall watching it in black & white as a youngster!! :eek:

Sad news indeed. Thanks for the memories, Harry C. :thumbsup:

Aubenas
22-03-2010, 11:00 PM
A true professional who had learnt his craft rather than basing his commentary on being a former sportsman - just cos you can do a sport doesn't mean you can talk about it. As others have said, along with David Coleman, he was one of THE voices of TV sport when I was growing up and never gave a duff performance, never patronised the audience, and always made the sport interesting. Only time I ever watched boxing in my life was when he was commentating. RIP Harry

ChilliEater
23-03-2010, 04:53 AM
I usually like my commentators to be impartial, but Harry's "Go on, hit him Frank!" when Bruno sent Tyson staggering was a great moment. Always came across as a true gentleman (that quote may not seem like it, I suppose!)