PDA

View Full Version : Stack 'The question is now whether we can finish fourth'

Hibs90
22-03-2010, 04:52 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/03/22/hibs-keeper-graham-stack-admits-derby-defeat-shows-we-re-not-as-good-as-we-thought-86908-22129890/

Fourth? Lack of ambition.

HibeeDaz6270
22-03-2010, 05:00 PM
Our aim has to be third. If any player in our squad believes 3rd is not achievable then they should not be wearing the jersey. Simple. Rise to the challenge!

Lucius Apuleius
22-03-2010, 05:01 PM
Does that go for the supporters as well?

Vini1875
22-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I don't want to sound like a jambo, but their end was supposed to be sold out, yet there seems to empty seats everywhere. That photo is a case in point.

HibeeDaz6270
22-03-2010, 05:02 PM
And be honest he is quoted saying " as far as im conerned third place is still on"

truehibernian
22-03-2010, 05:03 PM
He won't be in goals tomorrow so he needn't worry.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 05:04 PM
He won't be in goals tomorrow so he needn't worry.

Are we going down the one mistake and you're out line now?

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Perhaps he's alluding to the fact that Hibs were punching above their weight in the early part of the season in being "title contenders" rather than "we're not good enough for third."

FWIW, I think he'll be in goals tomorrow night.

truehibernian
22-03-2010, 05:08 PM
No Danderhall, for what it is worth, I think Stack is very much like Goram and is a good shot stopper. I just get a hunch that Smith will be between the sticks tomorrow. Not being over critical of Stack, but I do think the last three games he has been a tad ropey (kicking, hesitant at crosses, etc). Smith I think commands the area better and shouts more to keep them on their toes. We will see though.

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 05:09 PM

DH - if Stacky is dropped and it's a BIG if then it will not be solely on the basis of the first goal conceded at Tynie. The keepers overall performance in that game was poor in that he failed to command his six yard box and failed to come for a number of crosses that would easily have been gathered. He looks jittery and nervous and not for the first time IMO so he may be dropped for those reasons, we'll just have to wait and see

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 05:10 PM
No Danderhall, for what it is worth, I think Stack is very much like Goram and is a good shot stopper. I just get a hunch that Smith will be between the sticks tomorrow. Not being over critical of Stack, but I do think the last three games he has been a tad ropey (kicking, hesitant at crosses, etc). Smith I think commands the area better and shouts more to keep them on their toes. We will see though.

I agree about his seemingly aimless kicking but the 2nd reason you give is the reason Yogi binned Smith and put Stack back in.

I think he'll stick by Stack tomorrow. I feel a bit sorry for him - it seems folk have been waiting on him making a mistake all season and now he has they're all pouncing.

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 05:12 PM
I agree about his seemingly aimless kicking but the 2nd reason you give is the reason Yogi binned Smith and put Stack back in.

I think he'll stick by Stack tomorrow. I feel a bit sorry for him - it seems folk have been waiting on him making a mistake all season and now he has they're all pouncing.

Yeah, I have a feeling he'll start Stack tomorrow as well. And despite the apparent reason for dropping Smith was to 'gee up Bamba,' we don't know the full story so we're merely guessing.

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Yeah, I have a feeling he'll start Stack tomorrow as well. And despite the apparent reason for dropping Smith was to 'gee up Bamba,' we don't know the full story so we're merely guessing.

An apparent reason spoken by Yogi himself so no guessing required :wink::greengrin

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 05:16 PM
An apparent reason spoken by Yogi himself so no guessing required :wink::greengrin

What, because 'In Yogi we trust?' :greengrin

I see what you're getting at Jonny, but we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes. Maybe there's another reason that Hughes isn't telling us about.

Just a 'what-if' scenario, nothing else. Mere guess work in fact! :cool2:

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 05:17 PM
What, because 'In Yogi we trust?' :greengrin

I see what you're getting at Jonny, but we don't know everything that goes on behind the scenes. Maybe there's another reason that Hughes isn't telling us about.

Just a 'what-if' scenario, nothing else. Mere guess work in fact! :cool2:

Could be LH, could be

Personally I don't care which of our multitude of keepers plays as long as he does his job well :greengrin

Bayern Bru
22-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Could be LH, could be

Personally I don't care which of our multitude of keepers plays as long as he does his job well :greengrin

Oh definitely. I don't think there's many who'd disagree with you there. Apart from the anti-Maka league, of course. :greengrin

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Oh definitely. I don't think there's many who'd disagree with you there. Apart from the anti-Maka league, of course. :greengrin

Ah, the anti-Maka league - forever in dispute with the anti-Stack league as well as the pro Smith and pro Brown fella's :greengrin

truehibernian
22-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Last three games I think Stack has been quite ropey. Couple of times v Ross County he let seemingly harmless crosses loop over him (his misjudgement), one of which the County players conspired to miss from 6 yards. I know for a fact that Hughes was fuming at his kicking and his constant kicking towards Derek Riordan, when there were other options. He did the same at the weekend there. County will, IMO, play a long ball game at times, and plump cross after cross into our box, and over our centre backs. This needs a keeper with presence. Having met both recently, to me, Smith looks more commanding and is a bigger keeper height wise. Stack has had some terrific reaction stops this last few games agreed, but I think Yogi may plump for Buzz in this one. Maybe that would mean a wee change in midfield too with Bamba pushing up........as Hong Kong Fuey once said..........."could be.............." :greengrin

NorthNorfolkHFC
22-03-2010, 05:39 PM
RE: the other thread relating to tactical naivety.

With 3 competitive goalkeepers vying for 1 jersey i would have thought a mistake would warrant a goalkeeper getting dropped?

If Stack is not dropped what hope have Smith or Brown got of ever getting a shot?

Stack HAS to be dropped RE: HIS mistake on Saturday. This way he keeps all goalkeepers interested and hopefully builds up confidence and competitiveness.

Stack being able to CONTROL Bamba is the biggest lot of b******t i have ever heard. If Bamba can't 'control' himself he shouldn't be thinking of a move to Arsenal. The back 3 picked should be able to talk throughout a game in order to deal with the situation, its cooperation and teamwork!!!

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 05:51 PM
RE: the other thread relating to tactical naivety.

With 3 competitive goalkeepers vying for 1 jersey i would have thought a mistake would warrant a goalkeeper getting dropped?

If Stack is not dropped what hope have Smith or Brown got of ever getting a shot?

Stack HAS to be dropped RE: HIS mistake on Saturday. This way he keeps all goalkeepers interested and hopefully builds up confidence and competitiveness.

If the goalies are on edge knowing that one mistake and they're out they'll not perform. And I don't think that making a mistake and being put to the back of the line would instill confidence.

iwasthere1972
22-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Our aim has to be third. If any player in our squad believes 3rd is not achievable then they should not be wearing the jersey. Simple. Rise to the challenge!

:agree:

Although as a fan I would happily accept 4th spot at the moment. 3rd is achievable and that's the target Yogi and the team should be looking for.

Franck is God
22-03-2010, 07:08 PM

I cannot believe anyone would liken Graham Stack to Andy Goram, only one fact connects them, that according to their CV's they are both goal keepers but that is where the similarity ends.

Goram is the best goalie I have ever seen, lost count how many times he single handedly won us points. Stack is a very poor keeper in comparison and should not even be mentioned in the same sentence.

FWIW I hope he never pulls on the jersey again, nothing personal against the guy but both Brown and Smith are better and in my opinion Maka is better than all three but I doubt I'll see him in a Hibs shirt again so I'll just have to be happy with Smith or Brown (which I am).

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 07:15 PM
FWIW I hope he never pulls on the jersey again, nothing personal against the guy but both Brown and Smith are better and in my opinion Maka is better than all three but I doubt I'll see him in a Hibs shirt again so I'll just have to be happy with Smith or Brown (which I am).

:hilarious Wind-up merchant. The Maka bit gave it away!

GlesgaeHibby
22-03-2010, 07:31 PM
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/03/22/hibs-keeper-graham-stack-admits-derby-defeat-shows-we-re-not-as-good-as-we-thought-86908-22129890/

Pretty sure they have misquoted him. He says in the next sentence that 3rd is very much still on and we should aim for it.

Toaods
22-03-2010, 08:05 PM
There's no doubt we can get fourth, his concern should be whether he's part of it or not.

Mistakes, arguments with punters and press interviews all over the place this last fortnight or so....perhaps best if he just shuts it and gets on with the job.

erskine-hibby
22-03-2010, 08:14 PM
:agree:

Although as a fan I would happily accept 4th spot at the moment. 3rd is achievable and that's the target Yogi and the team should be looking for.

Not long ago we were going for second.
Yogi has stated he wants nothing less than 3rd, so why should we accept anything less??
If we were to finish 4th I would say we well and truly blew it.

Eaststand
22-03-2010, 08:19 PM

apart from a daft rush of blood when he came out of his box on Saturday and almost blew it, Stack seems to have forgotten how to step off his line to clear the ball...yep he's not too bad a shot stopper at times, but he's been glued to his line mostly since he got the jersey back and it's surely time to give one of the other keepers a chance

Bad Martini
22-03-2010, 08:23 PM
Yogi has stated he wants nothing less than 3rd, so why should we accept anything less??

I thought Yogi said he didn't think we'd get 3rd and 4th was more likely at some point? Might've been paper pish or such like tho but if not, then he's just as guilty as the rest of the team for lack of ambition...

iwasthere1972
22-03-2010, 08:27 PM

I didn't read the article but if Yogi says he wants nothing less than 3rd fair enough. As I said before, that's what the players should be aiming for.

4th would still be acceptable in my eyes taken into consideration recent performances and results. Far better then ending the season in 6th behind them Yams.

Fantic
22-03-2010, 09:05 PM
[/URL][URL]http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/03/22/hibs-keeper-graham-stack-admits-derby-defeat-shows-we-re-not-as-good-as-we-thought-86908-22129890/ (http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/2010/03/22/hibs-keeper-graham-stack-admits-derby-defeat-shows-we-re-not-as-good-as-we-thought-86908-22129890/)

Yes. If we win on Saturday we could be back in 3rd place. Why does he not say 3rd instead of 4th. :confused:

edit: Think he must have been mis-quoted

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Yes. If we win on Saturday we could be back in 3rd place. Why does he not say 3rd instead of 4th. :confused:

He said 3rd in the Sun. Presumably the Record have made a mistake.

Westie1875
22-03-2010, 09:11 PM
He said 3rd in the Sun. Presumably the Record have made a mistake.

Shocker :greengrin

Hibby Kay-Yay
22-03-2010, 09:20 PM
I don't want to sound like a jambo, but their end was supposed to be sold out, yet there seems to empty seats everywhere. That photo is a case in point.

Maybe they were lining up for fat reduced pies?

erskine-hibby
22-03-2010, 09:52 PM
I didn't read the article but if Yogi says he wants nothing less than 3rd fair enough. As I said before, that's what the players should be aiming for.

4th would still be acceptable in my eyes taken into consideration recent performances and results. Far better then ending the season in 6th behind them Yams.

Not to me.
I can see why you are saying that, but the drop in performances lately has been staggering and I don't accept that.
Should we finish behind hearts we have only got ourselves to blame and all at ER should take a good look at themselves for letting it happen.

Booked4Being-Ugly
22-03-2010, 10:17 PM
Stack said: "Maybe, in a way, we set our stall out too well early on. Expectations were so high the punters thought we were better than we actually are.
"Perhaps we have been found out a bit as we are not as great as we all thought."

I'm baffled by the quote above. So, if we're currently 5th and Stack believes the fans thought Hibs were better than they actually are then that would make us roughly bottom six material!

That's quite a shocking revalation and would mean that Yogi simply hasn't got what it takes!

Either Stack has lost the plot or he's somehow trying to take the pressure off the team. I hope it's the latter!

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 10:24 PM
Stack said: "Maybe, in a way, we set our stall out too well early on. Expectations were so high the punters thought we were better than we actually are.
"Perhaps we have been found out a bit as we are not as great as we all thought."

I'm baffled by the quote above. So, if we're currently 5th and Stack believes the fans thought Hibs were better than they actually are then that would make us roughly bottom six material!

That's quite a shocking revalation and would mean that Yogi simply hasn't got what it takes!

Either Stack has lost the plot or he's somehow trying to take the pressure off the team. I hope it's the latter!

How are you baffled?!

He's saying that by pushing Celtic for a bit "earlier" made the fans think we were better than we were (which we did - see the Kevin Thomsons says we'll finish 20 points behind thread) and now we're losing a few games we've lost all perspective.

The only way someone couldn't understand that is because they don't want to understand it.

Baader
22-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I think it's the players who think they're better than they are. Nothing to do with fans expectations - that doesn't affecting a single thing.

Torto
22-03-2010, 11:04 PM
What about the saves that Stack has made over the last few games??

Great double save against county to keep us in the cup & 2 good saves against Hearts to stop us getting a tanking. Yes he made a mistake on Sat and his kicking wasn't what it normally is but it doesn't help when the strikers don't chase it, we were 2-1 down against our rivals so why not try and get it up the pitch early as it was 2 vs 2 at the back a lot of the time. IMO he's by far the best kicker of all goalies at the club and the stick he has been given is a joke.

Games are won and lost in the midfield and their 2 over ran our 3, our defence was shocking so wake up and smell the coffee sometimes I wonder what game some of the people are watching at times.

It's not one mans fault.... Fact

another thing why do u have Galbraith ready to come on and we get a goal back and don't make the change. I would have thought that it even mote reason to make it. We need to get behind the team not all this negative p!sh all the time GGTTH

Booked4Being-Ugly
22-03-2010, 11:08 PM
How are you baffled?!

He's saying that by pushing Celtic for a bit "earlier" made the fans think we were better than we were (which we did - see the Kevin Thomsons says we'll finish 20 points behind thread) and now we're losing a few games we've lost all perspective.

The only way someone couldn't understand that is because they don't want to understand it.

It wasn't just the fans that got carried away - i seem to remember the Hibs team trying to play with a swagger and getting carried away with the hype!

FWIW - I've been a Hibs fan long enough NOT to loose perspective mate, trust me!

monktonharp
23-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Yogi is on record as saying he wanted a good pool of Goales,to keep them on their toes. Stack has recently been on his heels,or his erse.so c'mon Yogi,show us what yer made of.

TornadoHibby
23-03-2010, 09:27 AM

Thought that always applied to Hibs keepers? :wink: :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Thought that always applied to Hibs keepers? :wink: :greengrin

I think that's where you struggled with the Maka debate. They all get a chance - it's when it keep happening that changes need to be made.

TornadoHibby
23-03-2010, 10:36 AM
I think that's where you struggled with the Maka debate. They all get a chance - it's when it keep happening that changes need to be made.

I have no intention of wasting time again on the Maka abilities and personal strengths or rather weaknesses "assasination" which took place on here some months ago but, please be clear DH, I never struggled with any aspect of that as I fully understand the mentality of a large number of posters on here with regard to the concept of "blame" for Hibs defeats! :agree:

There ALWAYS has to be someone to blame! :cool2:

To suggest that Stack has only just failed to come out for a dangerous cross on Staurday, or kicked poorly (appallingly actually) for the first time on Saturday or decided that he should run 35 yards out of his goal to tackle a forward for the first time on Saturday is simply incorrect and ill informed! :agree:

The guy has done all of these things on a regular basis since he arrived at the club and, if you aske people who worked with him or watched him at his previous clubs, you will find that they are all "traits/characteristics" that he is well known for in his past. Perhaps explains his relatively low number of "top level" games despite his relatively advancing years!? :dunno:

We lost on Saturday and have played very poorly for a number of weeks now because of a serious lack of player commitment, confidence, will to win, competitive attitude and downright effort expected form any sports person worth his salt IMO! Very few players escape criticism here and I fear it will continue tonight and by 10.30pm tonight we will no longer be in the Scottish Cup! :cool2:

However, Stack has not simply started making mistakes on Saturday but has been fortunate that many of his previous ones including the "walk about" first half on Saturday have gone unpunished by largely indifferent or poor SPL opposition! :agree: