PDA

View Full Version : Is it Time to Give Brown his chance?

MB62
22-03-2010, 11:04 AM
We gave Smith his chance and he might have been a bit unfortunate in the fact we lost a a good few goals whilst he was the keeper. Yogi decided to change it and bring back Stack but he has not exactly looked rock solid since his return.
Maybe now it is time to give Mark Brown his chance to see what he brings us. Personally, I think Brown is the best keeper we have at the club but understand that he has to bide his time to get his chance. Well, after recent performances, I feel his chance is now here and there is no point in signing players if the manager is not prepared to give him that chance when there is a reasonable opportunity to use him.

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Im hoping Graeme Smith is in goal tomorrow night. He looked good and really had no chance with any off the goals he has conceded. Yogi was quick to drop him, so hopefully he drops Stack as quick.

bighairyfaeleith
22-03-2010, 11:11 AM
The problem though is that, if he defence does nothign then it leaves the defence wide open, this adds more pressure on the goalie and no matter who is in goals we are goingto concede goals.

Stack isn't abad keeper all of a sudden, neither is smith or brown. But unless we get the rest of the team playing whoever goes in goals is going to get slated when to be honest they are ona hiding to nothing.

IMO:wink:

James Connolly
22-03-2010, 11:13 AM
We gave Smith his chance and he might have been a bit unfortunate in the fact we lost a a good few goals whilst he was the keeper. Yogi decided to change it and bring back Stack but he has not exactly looked rock solid since his return.
Maybe now it is time to give Mark Brown his chance to see what he brings us. Personally, I think Brown is the best keeper we have at the club but understand that he has to bide his time to get his chance. Well, after recent performances, I feel his chance is now here and there is no point in signing players if the manager is not prepared to give him that chance when there is a reasonable opportunity to use him.

Wouldn't give Brown his debut in what is now our most important game of the season.

I like Stack; but he was poor on Saturday. Smith was wrongly dropped IMO, so I wouldn't have a problem with him regaining the jersey for tomorrow.

monktonharp
22-03-2010, 11:17 AM
The problem though is that, if he defence does nothign then it leaves the defence wide open, this adds more pressure on the goalie and no matter who is in goals we are goingto concede goals.

Stack isn't abad keeper all of a sudden, neither is smith or brown. But unless we get the rest of the team playing whoever goes in goals is going to get slated when to be honest they are ona hiding to nothing.

IMO:wink:exsqueeze me,but Stack has put on a couple of horror shows of late has he not? why the hell can he not come for ANY cross balls?Smith or Brown for the replay,no brainer.

Sammy7nil
22-03-2010, 11:18 AM
I have NEVER been convinced about Stack from day one. He stands on his line and watches balls flash across goal and when he does come off his line, well we saw what happened at Tynie.

We have two keepers with a proven record in the SPL Smith and Brown and these two should compete for the No1 spot.

Maka is still a very young keeper and may yet obtain more of a physical presence as he gains weight, if we can keep his wages down I would persist with him for a while longer perhaps giving him a loan spell.

Stack would be the first to see the exit door for me, but hey he is a great guy and good laugh so Yogi will keep him.

Argylehibby
22-03-2010, 11:18 AM
Smith wasnt to blame for any of the gpoals he conceded but Stck was at fault for the opener on Saturday. Hughes stated he dropped Smith because Stack got more out of Bamba, that wasnt evident on Saturday either.

I dont think Smith should have been dropped and I would put him in against county tomorrow. He's pretty good at saving penalties and that might come in handy later on tomorrow.

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 11:19 AM

Well my opinion is to drop Bamba and replace him with McCormack. He is posted missing half the time and give's me the jitters. I hope its not his drink driving conviction thats keeping him out the team as Hibs need him. He has apologised for it so let's move on.

bighairyfaeleith
22-03-2010, 11:24 AM
exsqueeze me,but Stack has put on a couple of horror shows of late has he not? why the hell can he not come for ANY cross balls?Smith or Brown for the replay,no brainer.

Thats not my point, my point is if we put smith in tomorrow but don't fix the midfield I reckon we will see similar mistakes from him. Stack had been perfectly reliable when the tean was playing well. but the amount of pressure he is now under has shown some weaknesses in his game.

I'm not saying smith doesn't deserve a crack at it, just that I would fix the midfield first, then the defence and then look at the goalie position.

We are always quick to jump on goalies for obvious reasons but we currently have three good goalies and shouldn't be too quick to stick another oneof them down the maka route. thats all.

Sir David Gray
22-03-2010, 11:29 AM
Graeme Smith is, in my opinion, the best goalkeeper that we have had for quite some time and should be our number one.

I hope he's back in for tomorrow night.

Allant1981
22-03-2010, 11:33 AM
i'd stick with stack, to be honest i wouldnt change to many positions about after the derby game, hogg in for stevenson, galbraith for rankin and that would be it for me but cannae see that happening

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 11:52 AM
i'd stick with stack, to be honest i wouldnt change to many positions about after the derby game, hogg in for stevenson, galbraith for rankin and that would be it for me but cannae see that happening

You would keep Thicot in the team ??? He is never Hibs class. I would put Spoony back to right back, Murray at left back and McCormack and Hogg in the middle with Smith returning in goals. I would also move Stevenson into midfield as he didnt have as bad a game as some on here are suggesting. Liam Miller deserves to be dropped after recent displays but that will never happen!

Allant1981
22-03-2010, 11:54 AM
You would keep Thicot in the team ??? He is never Hibs class. I would put Spoony back to right back, Murray at left back and McCormack and Hogg in the middle with Smith returning in goals. I would also move Stevenson into midfield as he didnt have as bad a game as some on here are suggesting. Liam Miller deserves to be dropped after recent displays but that will never happen!

I didnt think he had that bad a game at the weekend, didnt really do anything wrong that would suggest an urgent need to be dropped. I could say the same regarding your post with mccormack. IMO no where near good enough to play week in week out for a top team in th eSPL

gogs_t
22-03-2010, 12:03 PM

I must admit to finding it a bit surprising that Mark Brown traded being 3rd choice at Celtc to 3rd choice at Hibs.

However, I'm also of the opinion that Smith should never have been dropped. We looked to have at last found keeper with confidence and ability but was wrongly dropped for what can only be described as a bizarre reason. :confused:

I try not to criticise individual players on the net, but Stack has had me feeling pretty nervous a few times over the last few weeks. His inability to command his box, come for cross balls and apparent refusal to throw the ball out to defenders - preferring to continually launch the ball upfield only to concede possession - is at the least frustrating. :grr:

There have been several occasions where Murray, Wotherspoon, or even Thicot on Saturday, have been looking for the ball to be thrown to them, only for him to wave them away, punt it up the park to Stokes and then we have to start defending again!!!!:grr:
I don't know if this is a tactic employed by Yogi, but if so we are now going backward instead of forward. :boo hoo:

Over the last few weeks we've gone from a team that have received plaudits for at least trying to play football, to resorting to the hoofball of our neighbours :confused:

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 12:06 PM
I didnt think he had that bad a game at the weekend, didnt really do anything wrong that would suggest an urgent need to be dropped. I could say the same regarding your post with mccormack. IMO no where near good enough to play week in week out for a top team in th eSPL

Why keep McCormack at the club? If he is not good enough by now he never will be! He chops and changed the defence all the time. Its not settled. McCormack has a good game then he's dropped. Hanlon was brilliant at Parkhead then he gets dropped!!! He wont leave the team alone. Thicot's not been seen in ages yet he chucks him into a derby!

Allant1981
22-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Why keep McCormack at the club? If he is not good enough by now he never will be! He chops and changed the defence all the time. Its not settled. McCormack has a good game then he's dropped. Hanlon was brilliant at Parkhead then he gets dropped!!! He wont leave the team alone. Thicot's not been seen in ages yet he chucks him into a derby!

I reckon he along with a few others will be offski in the summer, cant really remember mccormack having and really good games but my memory is crap anyway. I agree 100% about hanlon and changing all the time, we need a settled back 5. Still dont think thicot had that bad a game on sat:wink:

silverhibee
22-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Graeme Smith is, in my opinion, the best goalkeeper that we have had for quite some time and should be our number one.

Smith for tomorrow night please.:thumbsup:

Jonnyboy
22-03-2010, 12:20 PM
We gave Smith his chance and he might have been a bit unfortunate in the fact we lost a a good few goals whilst he was the keeper. Yogi decided to change it and bring back Stack but he has not exactly looked rock solid since his return. Maybe now it is time to give Mark Brown his chance to see what he brings us. Personally, I think Brown is the best keeper we have at the club but understand that he has to bide his time to get his chance. Well, after recent performances, I feel his chance is now here and there is no point in signing players if the manager is not prepared to give him that chance when there is a reasonable opportunity to use him.

Therein lies the $64,000 question MB. Why did Yogi bring Stack back? According to the man himself he brought Stacky back in because 'he bosses Bamba better.'

Two things arise out of that IMO -

1. The confidence of Graeme Smith must surely have taken a pounding hearing that from his manager, and,

2. Since Bamba returned from the ANC Yogi has fiddled with team selections to accommodate the big man and the lack of a settled side has IMO quite a lot to do with our dip in form defensively.

It's my contention that despite shipping five goals in Perth (only one of which might have been dealt with better by the keeper IMO) he dropped Graeme Smith and thereby started the rot in our defensive performances.

Yogi has much to learn in my view including: -

When to leave a defence alone when it's not shipping many goals

Picking a 4-4-2 formation and sticking to it, home and away

Stopping his quite worrying habit of talking nonsense in post match interviews. When he was at Falkirk he used to make me cringe when after a defeat he's day things like 'I cannae ask any more of my players they gave me everything they've got.'

Fiddling about with the side simply to accommodate certain players, regardless of the form of those players

I could go on but I won't :greengrin

allmodcons
22-03-2010, 12:30 PM

:agree: For me Brown is the best GK at Hibs and is definitely far too good to be 3rd choice at any SPL club.

I don't have too much of a problem with Smith, but there is a suggestion that he doesn't do enough talking, something that is a major attribute for a good keeper.

Stack talks enough and is a good shot stopper, but steadfastly refuses to leave his line. I don't expect a keeper to command the penalty area, but surely he should be in command of his 6 yard box. Tynecastle on Saturday was a 'case in point'. One or two good saves, but terrible at dealing with crosses in and around the 6 yard box.

Brown for me is the best keeper at our club and I wouldn't have any qualms about Yogi starting him tomorrow night.

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I reckon he along with a few others will be offski in the summer, cant really remember mccormack having and really good games but my memory is crap anyway. I agree 100% about hanlon and changing all the time, we need a settled back 5. Still dont think thicot had that bad a game on sat:wink:

He probably didnt mate but Id still rather have Weatherspoon to him. Hearts didn't create the same threat down the left side as they did the right though. Poor wee Lewis was over run !

BEEJ
22-03-2010, 12:50 PM
Therein lies the $64,000 question MB. Why did Yogi bring Stack back? According to the man himself he brought Stacky back in because 'he bosses Bamba better.'

1. The confidence of Graeme Smith must surely have taken a pounding hearing that from his manager, and,

2. Since Bamba returned from the ANC Yogi has fiddled with team selections to accommodate the big man and the lack of a settled side has IMO quite a lot to do with our dip in form defensively.

It's my contention that despite shipping five goals in Perth (only one of which might have been dealt with better by the keeper IMO) he dropped Graeme Smith and thereby started the rot in our defensive performances.

Stopping his quite worrying habit of talking nonsense in post match interviews. When he was at Falkirk he used to make me cringe when after a defeat he's day things like 'I cannae ask any more of my players they gave me everything they've got.'

Fiddling about with the side simply to accommodate certain players, regardless of the form of those players

Great post. :top marks

Agree with every word of that.

MB62
22-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Go on, Go On, Go On, I value your opinion :thumbsup:

Franck Stanton
22-03-2010, 01:31 PM

Stack is a good shot-stopper, but that doesn't make him a good keeper. He was at fault for both their goals on Sat and imho Smith would have dealt with both of the efforts in a completly different manner, [ like not letting the first cross/shot hit the post in the first place].
Stack is super-glued to his line and most certainly does not control his six yard box. Smith is by far a better all-round keeper.

MussyHibby
22-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Have never been Stack's biggest fan but have felt he's been doing ok.........'til Saturday.

Smith or Brown for me. :agree:

big-mo
22-03-2010, 01:59 PM
'Pegs', Stack, was at fault for both goals, the first should have been easily dealt with, either catching it or turning it round the post, but just leaving it and hoping it comes to no harm is not the way to go, he was not under any pressure at that point. As for the second goal, a 5ft 6in forward stands in front of a goalie and manages to get to the ball first is a nonsense, if he had come for the ball first he would have got the ball or would have been given a foul for obstruction by the forward.

BTW. the nickname Pegs come from him never coming off his line.

If Yogi is determined to play Bamba, why not put him back into midfield where he could 'beef it up' and stop us being so light weight and easily overrun.

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 02:04 PM

vahibbie
22-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Has to be Smith. Should never have been dropped in the first place.

Stack will be away when Bamba leaves. After all looking after him is his prime function:bitchy:

Sammy7nil
22-03-2010, 06:38 PM

He had his worst game for Hibs against RC and would be a nervous wreck with RC targeting him as a weak link.

Play McCormack at RB and let spoony support McCormack when required from midfield.

.Sean.
22-03-2010, 06:45 PM
As much as I rate Stack and Smith, Brown surely needs to be given his chance. Being honest I didn't see the need to sign him in the first place, but surely he can't continue to sit in the stand whilst still picking up a tidy wage. Let's give him his chance tomorrow night and see what he's got :agree:

By the way, is the word that rhymes with jester and begins with an F a swear word? It was filtered out when i originally posted?

PISTOL1875
22-03-2010, 07:01 PM

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks:top marks

keep the faith
22-03-2010, 07:21 PM
This is why it was nuts to sign another keeper in Brown. Soon as a keeper makes a mistake there will be a clamber to bring in another.

Yogi will never keep them all happy.

Smith looked like the best keeper at ER for ages and because we now have three you will find that its Brown who will be expected to get the chance next. Absolute madness.

NORTHERNHIBBY
22-03-2010, 08:24 PM
We have four keepers, plus Thomas Flynn competing for one jersey, yet when it comes to left back, or right back for that matter, we seem to fill those jerseys with players that belong elsewhere in the pitch. You could have driven a double decker bus sideways down our left hand side at Tynie. If we play like that, even Buffon would struggle to keep a clean sheet.

Bostonhibby
22-03-2010, 08:51 PM
Im hoping Graeme Smith is in goal tomorrow night. He looked good and really had no chance with any off the goals he has conceded. Yogi was quick to drop him, so hopefully he drops Stack as quick.

:agree: I think Smith had a really good start and his whole presence and positioning was more assured than we have ben used to. Dont blame him for the shambles at St.Johnstone and would be happy if he did play tomorrow.

Browns an unknown simply because I havent seen him play recently, so might be a gamble.

Alfred E Newman
22-03-2010, 09:01 PM
This is why it was nuts to sign another keeper in Brown. Soon as a keeper makes a mistake there will be a clamber to bring in another.

Yogi will never keep them all happy.

Smith looked like the best keeper at ER for ages and because we now have three you will find that its Brown who will be expected to get the chance next. Absolute madness.

I couldn`t understand the signing of Brown or Gow for that matter but now he is here I would dump Stack and Makalamby at the first opportunity and go next season with Smith and Brown, two unspectacular but reliable keepers. Now, how about getting a couple of reliable defenders in as well Yogi.

eastmainsmsh
22-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Brown is a cracking keeper

id go 4 this line up to hopefully change our bad form the pace of galbraith on left and deeks a free role behing nish and stokes

...................................... BROWN............................................. ....

.....................HOGG............BAMBA........ .....MURRAY

WOTHERSPOON.......MILLER.... MCBRIDE............GALBRAITH

........................ RIORDAN..........................
..................NISH.................STOKES

Toaods
22-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Hanlon was brilliant at Parkhead then he gets dropped!!! He wont leave the team alone. Thicot's not been seen in ages yet he chucks him into a derby at Tynecastle(again) ...!

sorted that bit you missed out...:cool2:

sven nil
23-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Yes Smith or brown for me.

And bamba's not the player he was guess the death threats have had an impact.

MB62
24-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Well, after last night, IS IT? IS IT NOW TIME TO GIVE BROWN HIS CHANCE?