Bob Box Fish
21-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Holy ****!

Lofarl
21-03-2010, 08:27 PM
What?

Broken Gnome
21-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Wonder goal. Equally good was the way he actually won the ball, he's hard as nails as well as the best player in the world.

Bob Box Fish
21-03-2010, 08:29 PM
His first vs Zaragoza was good tonight his second was unreal on SS1 the now.

lapsedhibee
21-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Holy ****!

Will he prove a handful for Sol Campbell in the Champs League then? :dunno:

joey1875
21-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Messi best player in the world right now !

Teo10
21-03-2010, 08:32 PM
No Doubt about it. He IS the best player in the world.

Bob Box Fish
21-03-2010, 08:36 PM
A bit like the Mazy runs Steven tweed used to go on but with a goal at the end of it.

Broken Gnome
21-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Done it again. Unreal.

Bob Box Fish
21-03-2010, 08:37 PM
He's just scored a hatrick

Teo10
21-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Unreal....

HIBEES 4 LIFE
21-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Anyone who thinks Ronaldo or Rooney are better than this guy are clearly morons. He's magic.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-03-2010, 08:43 PM
With a touch more consistency, Messi could really prove to be the white Rougier I think.

Broken Gnome
21-03-2010, 08:46 PM
added entertainment from the fact he's making zlatan look utterly useless, and the fact the zaragoza reacted to messi's third by bringing on jermaine pennant...

CB_NO3
21-03-2010, 08:49 PM
3-2, Barca now have a pen

col02
Wow what trickery to win that penalty!

Bob Box Fish
That man is seriously sick just done another run then won a pk

Broken Gnome
21-03-2010, 08:50 PM
You'll never see a better won penalty than that.

PISTOL1875
21-03-2010, 08:54 PM
He is the best player in the world by 1,000,000,000 miles.. Rooney and Ronaldo aren't even in the same league...

sambajustice
21-03-2010, 08:54 PM
That man is seriously sick just done another run then won a pk

Aye, they just said on the tv he's not been feeling 100% this week...

JimBHibees
21-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Complete genius. His touch and dribbing are exceptional.

HIBEES 4 LIFE
21-03-2010, 08:59 PM
He is the best player in the world by 1,000,000,000 miles.. Rooney and Ronaldo aren't even in the same league...

I never used to like watching the Spanish stuff. But he makes them worth watching all on his own. Utterly mind blowing how good he is!

Calvin
21-03-2010, 09:00 PM
He is the best player I've seen in my lifetime.

If Maradona was better than this it is really unbelievable.

McHibby
21-03-2010, 09:02 PM
After Barca's midweek match, Steve Rider was trying to get Gareth Southgate to compare Messi and Rooney, Southgate looked a bit akward and said they were different players - but he kept pushing it and going on about Rooney. Southgate was quite diplomatic I thought, but made it clear he thought Messi was a better player. Which he is.

CallumHibs07
21-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Ronaldo is....La Liga

:devil:

Haymaker
21-03-2010, 09:11 PM
All three players (rooney, messi and ronaldo) suit different styles slightly better than the others and all three are world class at what they do.

If I could I would have all three up front so I wouldnt have to choose.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-03-2010, 09:16 PM
All three players (rooney, messi and ronaldo) suit different styles slightly better than the others and all three are world class at what they do.

If I could I would have all three up front so I wouldnt have to choose.

For the three to function effectively though, you'd need Nish in there to hold the play up and give 100%, surely?

sh00byd00
21-03-2010, 09:19 PM
He is the best player I've seen in my lifetime.

If Maradona was better than this it is really unbelievable.

The fact Maradona did it consistently for years both at international and club level says Messi has some way to go before that even becomes a fair comparison.

Add to that, Messi is surrounded by umpteen great players at Barca, the same can't be said about Maradona when he played for Napoli or even Argentina. Maradona also single handedly (pun intended) put England out of a WC, so he has that in his favour too.

I can't recall Messi doing anything outstanding for the Argies yet, so yeah, lets wait a while.

Pedantic_Hibee
21-03-2010, 09:24 PM
The fact Maradona did it consistently for years both at international and club level says Messi has some way to go before that even becomes a fair comparison.

Add to that, Messi is surrounded by umpteen great players at Barca, the same can't be said about Maradona when he played for Napoli or even Argentina. Maradona also single handedly (pun intended) put England out of a WC, so he has that in his favour too.

I can't recall Messi doing anything outstanding for the Argies yet, so yeah, lets wait a while.

Is this because Maradona is stifling him in order to preserve his demi-God status in his homeland though?

Sounds a bit far-fetched but if you see the way he utilises Messi and read some of the comments he's made about Messi, it's not all that outlandish when you think about it.

Messi's Messi, if he's in your team, you get ten players to do a job and give the ball to Messi. 9 times out of 10 you'll win.

renato
21-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Yet another hattrick, the boy is unplayable this season. Even better than last season too, incredible.

The similarities with Maradona are uncanny, not just physically but his balance, dribbling and striking of the ball.

He's definitely the best in the world by a long way, probably on a par with Maradona already and by the time he retires he could well be the best player the world has ever seen.

And us Hibbys got to experience him first hand too. He is why we all watch and love football :thumbsup:

calumhibee1
21-03-2010, 09:28 PM
find it hard to believe there's ever been a better player than him :agree:

sh00byd00
21-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Iirc Messi has played under different managers at international level, so that kinda makes your theory a little redundant. Maradona will always be a hero in Argentina, no matter how many great players come after him. A bit simialr to how Pele is held in higher regard than the likes of Zico, Socrates, Garrincha et al.

IberianHibernian
21-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Believe Messi gets a fair bit of stick in Argentina for not showing club form with national team . I saw Maradona play a few times and have seen Messi as well and personally I think Messi is better . Don`t agree about having great teammates since current Barca team is nowhere as good as last year`s and he carries the team . Barca and Real Madrid have 2 best players in the world but without them are nowhere near as strong .

Pedantic_Hibee
21-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Iirc Messi has played under different managers at international level, so that kinda makes your theory a little redundant. Maradona will always be a hero in Argentina, no matter how many great players come after him. A bit simialr to how Pele is held in higher regard than the likes of Zico, Socrates, Garrincha et al.

I knew you'd say that :greengrin

Don't have the whole facts of the matter but it's only roughly been the past two seasons where Messi has played full campaigns for Barca and I figure Maradona's been manager for most of that time.

Messi was constantly breaking down injured prior to season 2008/09 and never really got into the swing of it.........his form over the last 18 months though, f****ng hell :cool2:

sh00byd00
21-03-2010, 09:56 PM
Believe Messi gets a fair bit of stick in Argentina for not showing club form with national team . I saw Maradona play a few times and have seen Messi as well and personally I think Messi is better . Don`t agree about having great teammates since current Barca team is nowhere as good as last year`s and he carries the team . Barca and Real Madrid have 2 best players in the world but without them are nowhere near as strong .

Whether Barca have a poorer team than last season is neither here nor there. there's outstanding/world-class players littered throughout the team. Xavi, Iniesta, Alves, Henry, Puyol, Marquez and whilst he's been a bit **** lately, there's also Ibra. Those aren't **** players.

now compare that to Napoli's 1987/88 team (at their peak)- you had Maradona and apart from him the only other outstanding players they had were - Careca, Ferrara and maybe some other Italian player (i can't really remember that far back in any great detail). Napoli, with a lot of help from Maradona were turning over teams like AC, Juve and Roma. Whilst i stayed in Turin during the late '80's i saw enough italian fitba up close and personal to know without Maradona, Napoli were a mid table side at best.

Ed De Gramo
21-03-2010, 10:21 PM
got no respect for Messi until he ditches PES to join FIFA :devil:

magpie1892
21-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Anyone who thinks Ronaldo or Rooney are better than this guy are clearly morons. He's magic.

I'm a happy moron. Rooney, on song, will win the World Cup on his own.

Cameron1875
21-03-2010, 10:41 PM
got no respect for Messi until he ditches PES to join FIFA

He wont do that because he's got class...:wink:

HIBEES 4 LIFE
21-03-2010, 11:04 PM

You are talking pish
Rooney is class but not in messi's world!

Ps England have no chance of winning the world cup so keep dreaming!

Haymaker
21-03-2010, 11:20 PM
For the three to function effectively though, you'd need Nish in there to hold the play up and give 100%, surely?

Obviously one would need someone in the "Nish mould" to allow such players to play... Also with all that attacking talent, one wonders if one would need a player for the coverted "Matty Jack" role to protect the back four...

:wink:

The Green Goblin
22-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Obviously one would need someone in the "Nish mould" to allow such players to play... Also with all that attacking talent, one wonders if one would need a player for the coverted "Matty Jack" role to protect the back four...

:wink:

Add a player with the speed of Sam Morrow and a forward to sit just behind the front two with the killer instinct of Stephen Dobbie and I`d say you have the makings of a decent team there. :wink:

GG

Haymaker
22-03-2010, 02:33 AM
Add a player with the speed of Sam Morrow and a forward to sit just behind the front two with the killer instinct of Stephen Dobbie and I`d say you have the makings of a decent team there. :wink:

GG

So we are going with a forward line of, messi, rooney, ronaldo, nish, morrow and dobbie... a Spectactular Six?

With three at the back and one "matty jack" type player to hold the midfield...

Champions League?

:greengrin

Sandy
22-03-2010, 05:15 AM

You got one part of that right :greengrin Rooney isn't a tenth of the player Messi is.

vanNISHtelroy
22-03-2010, 06:29 AM
Dunno how Nishy would do with players of limited ability like Messi, Rooney, Ronaldo...

Mikeystewart
22-03-2010, 07:33 AM

:top marks

Mikeystewart
22-03-2010, 07:34 AM
So we are going with a forward line of, messi, rooney, ronaldo, nish, morrow and dobbie... a Spectactular Six?

With three at the back and one "matty jack" type player to hold the midfield...

Champions League?

:greengrin

:faf:

goosano
22-03-2010, 08:18 AM
YouTube - ZARAGOZA 2-4 BARCELONA - LIONEL MESSI Hat-Trick !!!!!! all goals Ibrahimovic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucb70YPyiJc)Here are the goals-3 by Messi and a sublime bit of skill to win a slightly dodgy penalty

Big_Franck
22-03-2010, 10:44 AM
YouTube - ZARAGOZA 2-4 BARCELONA - LIONEL MESSI Hat-Trick !!!!!! all goals Ibrahimovic (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ucb70YPyiJc)Here are the goals-3 by Messi and a sublime bit of skill to win a slightly dodgy penalty

Are you saying that wasn't a penalty?? You can't be serious.

Messi is the best player in the world by a country mile, and has been for 2/3 years.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Will he prove a handful for Sol Campbell in the Champs League then? :dunno:

I doubt it - Campbell's so tall and I've just been reading that height is everything in modern day football.

If Messi was 6 inches taller he'd be world-class.

CB_NO3
22-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Great goals, no sure about the soundtrack though. :wink:

Hank Schrader
22-03-2010, 11:06 AM

I agree, but maybe a bit OTT on the morons remark! :greengrin

:top marks

Erm.....no :no way:

Craig_in_Prague
22-03-2010, 02:50 PM
his 2nd goal was just frightening.

His play that got Barca the penatly, looked like he'd grab his 4th of the match.
I was trying to sleep, but he kept me well awake!

Nice to be living with a true world great to watch........being 29, he's easily the best player I've seen or likely to see in quite some time.

I knew he was something special.....but haven seen more and more of him this season, he's just breathtaking.

hibsbollah
22-03-2010, 04:36 PM
No-ones mentioned he's only 22, thats the most amazing thing for me. Theres likely to be an improvement in his game. How frightening is that?:not worth

LamontHFC©
22-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Imagine Rooney and Messi playing along-side each other..

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 04:45 PM
Imagine Rooney and Messi playing along-side each other..

You'd need some height in there somewhere.

LamontHFC©
22-03-2010, 04:59 PM
You'd need some height in there somewhere.

I think Messi has proved by single-handedly winning games with his feet that you don't..

Also, Rooney's hardly poor in the air..

lyonhibs
22-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I think Messi has proved by single-handedly winning games with his feet that you don't..

Aye, but he's nae Colin Nish tho!!! :greengrin

Back to the OP topic - Messi vs Most defences in the world is verging on cruelty to dumb animals at the moment.

He's simply unplayable, in a way that Ronaldo and Rooney very rarely get near, IMO.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 05:28 PM

I know what you're saying but I'd have them in my team only if the other 10 players were 6ft plus.

tony
22-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I know what you're saying but I'd have them in my team only if the other 10 players were 6ft plus.

No Iniesta, no Xavi, no Tevez, no Fabregas, no Arshavin.....from the land that used to produce great wee players here's to the small men that play football that make you smile :wink:

Of course i don't mind if the defence has a bit extra height, with a strong man to balance the midfield. No need to get silly about things.......................(though Cannivaro in his prime, Vermaelen, Essien etc. might have something to add)

lapsedhibee
22-03-2010, 06:49 PM

:agree: Kristof van Hout would be a must in goal for any team having to carry the midgets Rooney and Messi.

But I'd still only play with 11, to keep the Laws Of The Game brigade happy.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 07:00 PM
:agree: Kristof van Hout would be a must in goal for any team having to carry the midgets Rooney and Messi.

But I'd still only play with 11, to keep the Laws Of The Game brigade happy.

:hilarious Of course if I were to play both of them in my team I'd only play the 9 giants to support them. That's the thing though I don't think you could play them both at the same time - they're just to wee.

LamontHFC©
22-03-2010, 08:06 PM
:hilarious Of course if I were to play both of them in my team I'd only play the 9 giants to support them. That's the thing though I don't think you could play them both at the same time - they're just to wee.

I know what you're saying but I wholeheartedly disagree.

I think them two together up top with any one of Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas etc. providing the service would be simply frightening.

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 08:09 PM
I know what you're saying but I wholeheartedly disagree.

I think them two together up top with any one of Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas etc. providing the service would be simply frightening.

You sure? I keep reading that you need tall folk in your team - they don't even need to be that good at football, as long as they're tall.

You don't win anything with midgets - unless you're Spain or Barcelona. :agree:

Pedantic_Hibee
22-03-2010, 08:18 PM
You sure? I keep reading that you need tall folk in your team - they don't even need to be that good at football, as long as they're tall.

Or in the midget olympics.

LamontHFC©
22-03-2010, 08:29 PM

I don't know if you're taking the pash out of me now so I'm just going to stop now by saying I'm right. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
22-03-2010, 08:40 PM
I don't know if you're taking the pash out of me now so I'm just going to stop now by saying I'm right. :greengrin

Sorry mate - it's not you I'm taking the pish out of - it's the midget-hating brigade I'm trying to rip. :wink:

Alfred E Newman
22-03-2010, 08:45 PM

Of course there are good midgets and duff midgets :agree:

KerPlunk
23-03-2010, 09:56 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/mar/22/leo-messi-barcelona-la-liga-spain

hibsbollah
23-03-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/mar/22/leo-messi-barcelona-la-liga-spain (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/mar/22/leo-messi-barcelona-la-liga-spain)

Read that yesterday, very good. I wish scottish journalism had a writer as good as sid lowe, who knows the spanish game inside out:agree:

renato
23-03-2010, 12:31 PM
YouTube - Lionel Messi's Hat Trick vs. Valencia 03.14.10 | HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-wNKyKaO8)

YouTube - Messi Wonder Goal {HIGH QUALITY} (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRiM2F60lk)

mmmmhibby
23-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Messi best player in the world right now !

never , ever have i seen a player run with the ball at such a pace, especially when the ball seems to stick to his feet when he's at full-pelt!!! the man is the best player in the world by a country mile.

PS. And wayne rooney aint far behind him!! different players tho.

Mibbes Aye
23-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Read that yesterday, very good. I wish scottish journalism had a writer as good as sid lowe, who knows the spanish game inside out:agree:

:agree: It's not restricted to Sid Lowe either. I used to enoy listening to Talksport when they would drag on the foreign-based journalists - Graham Hunter, Guilleme Balague, Gabriel Marcotti, Raphael Honigstein etc etc.

They all had their own flaws and idiosyncracies, but they all offered a far greater insight into the game than anyone I can recall hearing/reading in the Scottish football media.

renato
23-03-2010, 07:59 PM
:agree: It's not restricted to Sid Lowe either. I used to enoy listening to Talksport when they would drag on the foreign-based journalists - Graham Hunter, Guilleme Balague, Gabriel Marcotti, Raphael Honigstein etc etc.

They all had their own flaws and idiosyncracies, but they all offered a far greater insight into the game than anyone I can recall hearing/reading in the Scottish football media.

:agree: Sunday evening IIRC, plus another round up midweek too?

Real shame they scrapped that show, was much more interesting than the mundane wall to wall coverage of the EPL big 4.

The quality of guys like Graham, Guilleme, Gab and Raph show how bad we've got it up here, god awful journo's.....

hibsbollah
23-03-2010, 08:00 PM

You should get The Guardian's free football weekly podcast; Honigstein and Marcotti are regulars, Sid Lowe's on every week talking about La Liga and James Richardson presents with amusing Irish sidekick Barry Glendinning.

Mibbes Aye
23-03-2010, 09:58 PM
You should get The Guardian's free football weekly podcast; Honigstein and Marcotti are regulars, Sid Lowe's on every week talking about La Liga and James Richardson presents with amusing Irish sidekick Barry Glendinning.

Cheers for that :thumbsup:. Think I've read Glendinning's mbm a few times and enjoyed. Will check it out :agree:

Liam89
06-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Just wow... wow...:notworthy: This guy is absolute class.

renato
06-04-2010, 07:34 PM
:not worth

4th hattrick of 2010......dear christ!

IWasThere2016
06-04-2010, 07:59 PM
They are a phenominal side.

Other than when they hit on the counter they appear to have 6 or 7 players on the screen at any one time.

They work so hard and such an integrated unit - true definition of a team. Topped off with Messi - indoubtedly in my mind the best ever!

sh00byd00
06-04-2010, 09:01 PM
i wonder if Barca would be interested in a straight Deeks - Messi swap? Oh aye, we can also give Barca a printed copy of the calender thread just to make sure.

YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO PETRIE :brickwall

Jonnyboy
06-04-2010, 09:13 PM
Not read the whole thread so this has probably already been said.

Suggestions that Rooney is the best in Europe should now surely be put to bed

Danderhall Hibs
06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
Not read the whole thread so this has probably already been said.

Suggestions that Rooney is the best in Europe should now surely be put to bed

I think Rooney edges it on height though. :dunno:

Jonnyboy
06-04-2010, 09:15 PM
I think Rooney edges it on height though. :dunno:

And weight :wink:

sh00byd00
06-04-2010, 09:23 PM
And weight :wink:

Tbf, i actually think, like Gazza and Maradona, Rooney carrying weight is what makes him such a good player. He's not the largest of strikers/forwards and his weight helps him rather than hinders him.

It would be interesting to see how messi would fair playing week in, week out down south given his slight build. I appreciate there's cloggers in Spain too, but faced with with a whole team ala Bolton, i suspect he'd be out injured more often than not. Or shying away from certain players on a rainy night at Blackburn.

TRC
06-04-2010, 09:52 PM
Rooney is not the player that messi is don't get me wrong rooney is by far (this season) the best striker in europe, however give me a player that can run rings round some of the best midfielders on the planet, score goals (even with his head and being 5ft 4in or what ever he is.) No IMHO Messi would make any team in the world better and Rooney wouldn't, not a slight on Rooney it's just that a great striker if given enough service will always score goals, however to make them is a different matter. It also shows that England self proclaimed 'BEST In the world' is a load of pish!! FACT

Sir David Gray
06-04-2010, 10:04 PM
Tbf, i actually think, like Gazza and Maradona, Rooney carrying weight is what makes him such a good player. He's not the largest of strikers/forwards and his weight helps him rather than hinders him.

It would be interesting to see how messi would fair playing week in, week out down south given his slight build. I appreciate there's cloggers in Spain too, but faced with with a whole team ala Bolton, i suspect he'd be out injured more often than not. Or shying away from certain players on a rainy night at Blackburn.

:agree: I actually made this point tonight whilst watching the match.

If he played in England, Messi would undoubtedly be a target for the hatchet men of the likes of Bolton and Stoke and they would be out to get him from the first whistle. I think in Spain, even the smaller, less skilful sides allow for "football" to be played and they are not as physical as their counterparts in England.

That's why I think people have to take their hat off to Ronaldo for being such a success in England and now doing it at Madrid as well.

PeterboroHibee
06-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Messi gets lumps kicked out of him by defences regularly, and he has shown he can handle himself, so often just gets up and gets on with.

Maybe he wont be coming up against sides like Stoke that often but still think he would be able to cope.

AgentDaleCooper
06-04-2010, 11:23 PM
reckon by the time he's 25 he'll be the greatest player ever. he's from another planet - it's like he sees in slow motion or something.

vahibbie
07-04-2010, 01:29 AM
Best since Maradona.
The game has changed so much since Pele's day that he may even eclipse him.

Get him signed up at ER:wink:

Ants
07-04-2010, 06:03 AM
And to think that Mr Petrie actually tried to get Messi at Easter Road is amazing, but having to watch him at Murrayfield was just as good..:greengrin

AugustaHibs
07-04-2010, 06:13 AM
:top marks the man is the best player in the world by a country mile.

PS. And wayne rooney aint far behind him!! different players tho.

:top marks:faf:

SidBurns
07-04-2010, 07:50 AM
:agree: I actually made this point tonight whilst watching the match.

If he played in England, Messi would undoubtedly be a target for the hatchet men of the likes of Bolton and Stoke and they would be out to get him from the first whistle. I think in Spain, even the smaller, less skilful sides allow for "football" to be played and they are not as physical as their counterparts in England.

That's why I think people have to take their hat off to Ronaldo for being such a success in England and now doing it at Madrid as well.

Completely disagree with you also. Players try to kick him week in week out but he just gets on with it. Absolute C-LASS, best ever in my young opinion

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2010, 07:56 AM
Completely disagree with you also. Players try to kick him week in week out but he just gets on with it. Absolute C-LASS, best ever in my young opinion

Apart from when he was rolling about like a baby after Denilson tackled him (and won the ball).

Anto the Hibernian
07-04-2010, 08:57 AM
I would actually say Messi is on course to be the greatest player ever; he is certainly the best 22 year old there has been.

At this stage in his career Maradona was only just moving from Boca to Barca, between the ages of 22-24 he scored 22 goals in 36 matches and never won anything significant. He reached his peak at Napoli where he scored 81 in 181 matches between ages 24-31, including two seria A titles & a UEFA cup.

His single greatest moments most would agree came at the 86 world cup , but you have to remember he was 26 then , so this world cup for messi is the equivalent to Maradona’s 82.

Messi is the Lynchpin of arguably the greatest club side ever , playing against the best players in the world week in week out and has amassed 30 + goals for second consecutive season ( 36 in 38 this season), he has already got 3 league titles & 2 European cup ‘s under his belt.

My point is IMO Messi has already surpassed Maradona , at least at club level & only one good world cup away from this being concrete in my mind.

Of course injuries or loss of form could hamper him but at this point for me he is the greatest.

hibsbollah
07-04-2010, 08:59 AM
I would actually say Messi is on course to be the greatest player ever; he is certainly the best 22 year old there has been.

At this stage in his career Maradona was only just moving from Boca to Barca, between the ages of 22-24 he scored 22 goals in 36 matches and never won anything significant. He reached his peak at Napoli where he scored 81 in 181 matches between ages 24-31, including two seria A titles & a UEFA cup.

His single greatest moments most would agree came at the 86 world cup , but you have to remember he was 26 then , so this world cup for messi is the equivalent to Maradona’s 82.

Messi is the Lynchpin of arguably the greatest club side ever , playing against the best players in the world week in week out and has amassed 30 + goals for second consecutive season ( 36 in 38 this season), he has already got 3 league titles & 2 European cup ‘s under his belt.

My point is IMO Messi has already surpassed Maradona , at least at club level & only one good world cup away from this being concrete in my mind.

Of course injuries or loss of form could hamper him but at this point for me he is the greatest.

Great post:agree:

J-C
07-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Watched last night and couldn't believe the guy is only 22, same age as Ronney, jeez??? they've only really started their careers and this is the stuff they're showing us. After those 4 goals, if it was close between him and Rooney for world player of the year, he's just edged it, unless Rooney does something amazing in the next few weeks.:top marks

Mikeystewart
07-04-2010, 09:20 AM
Watched the game last night a player who for once merits his hype and never fails to disappoint.

Mikeystewart
07-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Apart from when he was rolling about like a baby after Denilson tackled him (and won the ball).

Denilson won the ball but ive seen red cards given for the way he had one of messi's legs caught between his two.

Mikeystewart
07-04-2010, 09:24 AM
Messi gets lumps kicked out of him by defences regularly, and he has shown he can handle himself, so often just gets up and gets on with.

Maybe he wont be coming up against sides like Stoke that often but still think he would be able to cope.

They would have to get near him to kick him :greengrin

Steve20
07-04-2010, 09:43 AM

Deary me. :bitchy:

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Deary me. :bitchy:

Should we forgive excellent players for play-acting?

Cocaine&Caviar
07-04-2010, 11:53 AM
Watched last night and couldn't believe the guy is only 22, same age as Ronney, jeez??? they've only really started their careers and this is the stuff they're showing us. After those 4 goals, if it was close between him and Rooney for world player of the year, he's just edged it, unless Rooney does something amazing in the next few weeks.:top marks

Christiano Ronaldo is also in that age group. Scary...

jgl07
07-04-2010, 12:20 PM
Watched last night and couldn't believe the guy is only 22, same age as Ronney, jeez???
Apart from the fact that Rooney is coming up for 25!

Munson7
07-04-2010, 12:45 PM

I agree he won the ball and it shouldn't have been a foul or booking but he still caught Messi after taking the ball and it could have been a very sore one.

Allant1981
07-04-2010, 12:46 PM
Messi is by far the best player on the planet just now but i reckon a better side than arsenal last night wouldn't have conceded those types of goals. The marking and defending was pretty poor, but as i say he is by far the best player in the world just now

sh00byd00
07-04-2010, 01:16 PM
having re watched it, I'm gonna say Messi wasn't actually the best player on the pitch last night. I thought Xavi looked more impressive. Not knocking the guy as he did finish the 4 chances that came his way (that's all he really did), but Xavi looked the better player last night.

Dunno why everyone is in a rush to proclaim he's the 'BEST EVA' after every single game he happens to score in, especially when he wasn't even the best player on the park last night. :confused:

SidBurns
07-04-2010, 01:26 PM

Did he get up!?! Yeah thought so

SidBurns
07-04-2010, 01:30 PM
having re watched it, I'm gonna say Messi wasn't actually the best player on the pitch last night. I thought Xavi looked more impressive. Not knocking the guy as he did finish the 4 chances that came his way (that's all he really did), but Xavi looked the better player last night.

Dunno why everyone is in a rush to proclaim he's the 'BEST EVA' after every single game he happens to score in, especially when he wasn't even the best player on the park last night. :confused:

Xavi and Iniesta are both great players aswell but IMO do not have quite the same impact as Messi. They are both up there with the best as regards passing ability but they don't really beat many players and ram the ball in the top corner! Saying that, they both pass the ball that well they don't have to beat anyone! :agree:

J-C
07-04-2010, 01:31 PM
Apart from the fact that Rooney is coming up for 25!

Well you know what I mean.:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I agree he won the ball and it shouldn't have been a foul or booking but he still caught Messi after taking the ball and it could have been a very sore one.

:agree: Could've been.

Did he get up!?! Yeah thought so

Yes he did - went on to score another few goals after it as well. Kind of proving it wasn't worthy of a roll around and hold my shinpad effort.

Pedantic_Hibee
07-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Over the two legs, Xavi misplaced only 15 of his 244 passes.

Astonishing.

Danderhall Hibs
07-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Over the two legs, Xavi misplaced only 15 of his 244 passes.

Astonishing.

Imagine the abuse he'd get at ER for misplacing 15 passes?! He's quite wee as well.

Pedantic_Hibee
07-04-2010, 08:41 PM
Imagine the abuse he'd get at ER for misplacing 15 passes?! He's quite wee as well.

Very true, DH. "El Rankin" would be the cry from the stands.

SidBurns
08-04-2010, 07:37 AM
:agree: Could've been.

Yes he did - went on to score another few goals after it as well. Kind of proving it wasn't worthy of a roll around and hold my shinpad effort.

I think your being slightly picky DH

NoTottiNoParty
08-04-2010, 08:50 AM
YouTube - Lionel Messi's Hat Trick vs. Valencia 03.14.10 | HD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O-wNKyKaO8)

YouTube - Messi Wonder Goal {HIGH QUALITY} (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLRiM2F60lk)

Watch Gudjohnsen (bottom of screen when ball goes in) in the second video with his head in his hands after Messi scores! I bet even he is thinking 'bloody hell' haha

IWasThere2016
08-04-2010, 11:32 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1264310/Lionel-Messi-You-stop-kid-says-Gerard-Pique.html

Hakim Sar
08-04-2010, 11:52 AM
Think it's impossible to say who the best player ever is as the game changes from decade to decade. the players I regard as untouchable are

Pele
di stefano
Maradona
Ronaldo (brazil)
zidane
Messi

AgentDaleCooper
08-04-2010, 10:18 PM
Think it's impossible to say who the best player ever is as the game changes from decade to decade. the players I regard as untouchable are

Pele
di stefano
Maradona
Ronaldo (brazil)
zidane
Messi

i personally would say that messi is in a different league to zidane and ronaldo. they were brilliant, but messi's current form is unlike anything i've seen in my life time.

IWasThere2016
08-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Messi's the best there is just now by a distance and potentially - if not already - ever. Pure genius.

I hope he gets his La Liga, Champs League and World Cup winners' medals this year - would be fitting IMHO.

I cannae wait for Real-Barca this weekend :thumbsup:

Pedantic_Hibee
09-04-2010, 05:56 AM
Messi's the best there is just now by a distance and potentially - if not already - ever. Pure genius.

I hope he gets his La Liga, Champs League and World Cup winners' medals this year - would be fitting IMHO.

I cannae wait for Real-Barca this weekend :thumbsup:

Yes, yes and thrice, yes.

I think it's going to be one of those famous, famous nights of football that we feel absolutely privileged to have watched.

0v0 :cool2: