PDA

View Full Version : NHC Derbies

lapsedhibee
21-03-2010, 07:41 PM
I know we've had this topic before, but sometimes I forget things that have already happened.

I know we've had this topic before, but sometimes I forget things that have already happened.

Darren Fletcher has been on the tellybox just now describing the Liverpuddle - Manure game today as a derby. Why? :dunno:

Sammy7nil
21-03-2010, 07:46 PM
Because he is thick and not very good at History, Geography or social studies ?

EH54

Darren Fletcher has been on the tellybox just now describing the Liverpuddle - Manure game today as a derby. Why? :dunno:

Think its a liverpool and manchester thing, im sure liverpool hate the both mancs team's more than everton, and utd hate liverpool more than city. been like that for a while now im sure.

Hibster
Suppose you could say its a North-west derby?

or maybe the word 'derby' can be used for games between teams that are big rivals, and not just for teams from the same city?

or maybe Darren Fletcher's just a bit of an idiot?

sahib
21-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Suppose you could say its a North-west derby?

or maybe the word 'derby' can be used for games between teams that are big rivals, and not just for teams from the same city?

or maybe Darren Fletcher's just a bit of an idiot?

Why are games called a derby anyway? Is it because that was the biggest race of the season so it was applied to big games? :dunno:

There is no law stating which games fit the criteria. Local derby is the hackneyed phrase for games between teams from the same town or area.

bob12345
21-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Rivalry is the word he meant to use,

iwasthere1972
21-03-2010, 08:04 PM
Why are games called a derby anyway? Is it because that was the biggest race of the season so it was applied to big games? :dunno:

There is no law stating which games fit the criteria. Local derby is the hackneyed phrase for games between teams from the same town or area.

It is widely reported that the phrase originates from the town of Ashbourne, Derbyshire, England. There, since as early as the 12th century, two teams from opposite ends of the town play a rough and tumble football/rugby type of game called the Royal Shrovetide Football Match. The match is between the 'uppers' and the 'downers' - townspeople from opposite sides of the river that runs through the town. The object of the game is to get a painted leather ball into the opposition's goal by fair means or foul. You might get a flavour of the scene from the fact that the goals are three miles apart and that one of the (few) rules is that 'unnecessary' violence is frowned upon. This type of game used to be common on feast days throughout England, and this example is still played out annually at Ashbourne.

:nerd:

Pretty Boy
21-03-2010, 08:07 PM
Barca v Real Madrid is regularly quoted as a derby as well so it's not just a case of Flatcher being thick.

A lot of games in England between teams that are close but not the same city are called derbies. Norwich v Ipswich, Sunderland v Newcastle. Same with the 'New Firm' in Scotland as well.

I think it's one of those phrases which has been accepted as referring to a big game that gets the fans the most passionate as opposed to actually being a match between teams from the same city.

Dunkin' Donut
21-03-2010, 08:19 PM
technically it is a derby, just not a local derby. the cities are only 30 or so miles apart which isnt much given the size of england to scotland.

lapsedhibee
21-03-2010, 08:24 PM
technically it is a derby, just not a local derby. the cities are only 30 or so miles apart which isnt much given the size of england to scotland.

:confused: How far apart are ER and Fir Park?

iwasthere1972
21-03-2010, 08:25 PM
:confused: How far apart are ER and Fir Park?

About half and inch. :wink:

lapsedhibee
21-03-2010, 08:28 PM
About half and inch. :wink:

"Very small" and "far away" are different things. Father Dougal.