PDA

View Full Version : Hughes Quote

hibeezuco
21-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Read on bbc sport a quote from yogi that baffled and disappointed me to say the least. The following

"The great thing about football is that we've got the opportunity to do it on Tuesday in the quarter-final of the Scottish Cup. If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will."

Its the second sentence thats most important. Fair enough the players should (we all hope) be motivated for tuesday, but my point is, why in gods name were they clearly not motivated for an away derby and an important game in regards to our upcoming fixtures, especially after such a poor performance last week against county?!!! :grr:

Golden Bear
21-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Read on bbc sport a quote from yogi that baffled and disappointed me to say the least. The following

"The great thing about football is that we've got the opportunity to do it on Tuesday in the quarter-final of the Scottish Cup. If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will."

Its the second sentence thats most important. Fair enough the players should (we all hope) be motivated for tuesday, but my point is, why in gods name were they clearly not motivated for an away derby and an important game in regards to our upcoming fixtures, especially after such a poor performance last week against county?!!! :grr:

The 5-1 drubbing against St Johnstone should have been the wake up call.

Seemingly not.

Wotherspiniesta
21-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Hughes is right. This is the biggest game of our season and the players must be at it 100% for 90+ minutes.

Lose this game and our confidence will be dented even further and we will struggle to keep pace with Utd and Well. Win it and we should have the confidence for a late push.

Absolutely must win this one. Hope the players can rise to the occasion.

noseyhibby
21-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Hughes words are those of a man at the end of his tether and desperately trying to say something to muster up some sort of passion and commitment from players that appear to be going through the motions, shorn of confidence, hiding behind other players who in turn are hiding and/or shirking, and who appear collectively to have all but given up on this season.

TheMentalHibees
21-03-2010, 07:57 PM
I was expecting the derby to be the game that kicked us back into gear. Evidently not. I'm sceptical about Tuesday being a wake up call. If we lose our next 4 games, Yogi will be facing a revolt. We're trying our best to throw 3rd place away. Can anybody tell me how many points we were ahead of Dundee United at our peak?

Aldo
21-03-2010, 08:00 PM
TBH he also needs to stand up and be counted. He is the man that is paid to pick, motivate and sort the team out win lose or draw.

It will be our biggest game yet...the question is will we get big game players???

vahibbie
21-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Hughes is right. This is the biggest game of our season and the players must be at it 100% for 90+ minutes.

Lose this game and our confidence will be dented even further and we will struggle to keep pace with Utd and Well. Win it and we should have the confidence for a late push.

That doesn't answer the question of why they were not motivated for a trip to Tynie and to keep pressure on for 3rd place.

lyonhibs
21-03-2010, 08:11 PM

As was the last one, and the one before that, and probably the one before that.

The players should be at 100% for 90+ minutes all game, every game and not need prodding - via the media or in training - from Yogi.

For the confidence-related reasons you mention, I think if we fail to win in Dingwall, it'll take a Damscusian turnaround to prevent our season descending into a mid-table slugfest with Hearts, Aberdeen and the like.

As things stand, with their tails up and Paw Broon working wonders, if I was a betting man as opposed to a Hibs fan, Motherwell would be my favourites for 3rd place.

sahib
21-03-2010, 08:48 PM
A general observation on manager's interviews.

When the team is winning, nearly everyone on here is delighted by their every word. How wise and witty they are perceived to be.
When we are losing a few games, everything they say seems to give offence.
Williamson, Collins, Mixu and now Yogi were all victims . Mcleish and Mowbray were smart enough to leave before the tide turned.

Bad Martini
21-03-2010, 09:08 PM

A lof of what Hughes says in public doesn't help our cause...talking about players in public is not the way to motivate.

Do it in the dessing room. Give the bassas hell if needed but dont do it where the rest of the world can hear it...that solves **** all

Bad Martini
21-03-2010, 09:10 PM

When the team is winning, nearly everyone on here is delighted by their every word. How wise and witty they are perceived to be.
Williamson, Collins, Mixu and now Yogi were all victims . Mcleish and Mowbray were smart enough to leave before the tide turned.

I never thought Collins said anything in public that he shouldn't have said and indeed, from the managers mentioned, I dont recall him saying much other than generally what every Hibs fan wanted and would have said ourselves.

In fact, when stabbed in the back by the ginger yam and co, he showed more restraint than the *******s deserved, IMHO.

hibee4life1983
21-03-2010, 09:52 PM

Because 5 or 6 of our ''first team'' players are tosh. Simple.

Do you think for one second yogi isnt hurting as much as us?
I suspect he's booted ther erchies a few times this season with no great effect

He also tried big'n the players up and publicly supporting them.

Once you've used all your carrot and sticks thers nothing left to do but wait until the summer and replace the duds, its not rocket science, just common sense.

Play players in ther positions and bring in some decent experianced players.

Fill over the cracks e.g rb,rw,lw and cd postions with signings.

The players at the club are not too interested, saturday being the example personafied.

Get it sorted petrie, and lets get behind the team.

IberianHibernian
21-03-2010, 10:24 PM

Williamson, Collins, Mixu and now Yogi were all victims . Mcleish and Mowbray were smart enough to leave before the tide turned.Agree entirely and never understand why some fans give so much importance to what managers say after games - all quotes that are made on the spur of the moment and often manipulated by press . What managers say to players in private is what counts .

erskine-hibby
21-03-2010, 10:26 PM
A lof of what Hughes says in public doesn't help our cause...talking about players in public is not the way to motivate.

Do it in the dessing room. Give the bassas hell if needed but dont do it where the rest of the world can hear it...that solves **** all

Wasn't it Hughes who also said that he didn't need to do any motivational talk before the game, as the players would do it themselves?
I can just picture it...

Yogi- " Right guys, who's first?"

:tumble:

NORTHERNHIBBY
21-03-2010, 10:37 PM
I am a wee bit sick of hearing Yogi come out with this cliche. If you can't motivate the players for an away game at Tynie, then I can't see how it can happen for a midweek game against a shinty team from high and ben. The odd thing is that if we had achived or current league position based on win, lose, draw, lose, win, draw, draw etc all the way through the season, I would be fairly pleased cos it would be consistency that is missing, but we were one or two games away from getting third out of sight in Dec/Jan, but except for a ten minute spell against Rangers at home, we have been abject and this side now reminds me of Big Eck's team second year back up. Still back Yogi 100%, but the board backed him for he players he wanted, and now it is up to him.

BEEJ
21-03-2010, 11:24 PM

Agree entirely. :agree:

madabouthibs
21-03-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm feeling a bit for him, I liked the look of the team he put out against the Yams.
Spoony into the midfield, Thicot at right back, Murray and Stevenson on the left and Deeks and Stokes up top.
Thought that was a decent set up. The only thing I would have done differently is played Nish and Deeks up front and dropped Stokes, coz he was poor against Ross County. :agree:

How can we be competing for the title in November and end up fighting just to keep our top six place in March? How the hell can we expect Yogi to work with player that are so unpredictable in terms of attitude, and inconsistent? He's obviously not afraid to change certain players, which is what we cry out for everytime we get humped! :grr:

PatHead
21-03-2010, 11:46 PM
Nish couldn't play as suspended but see where you are coming from. Would start with team you have described

Franck Stanton
22-03-2010, 12:02 AM
To be honest I was delighted when we appointed Yogi as manager, given his stature in the game, the fact he is Hibs daft, and the fact we have to be realistic about the standard of manager we as a club can/could attract I dont think there is/was anyone better than him.........however, [ and this is not a knee-jerk reaction to the jambo defeat] I am now having serious doubts about his tactical awareness.
Why did he persist with Stack in goal ? In my opinion Smith was / is the better keeper and did not deserve to be dropped after the St Johnston game, and this was borne out by Sat game when Stack "froze" and gifted them both goals. Yogi had the opportunity to strengthen the team/squad in Jan but chose to bring in another two keepers...why two? We are crying out for a r/back, a decent experienced c/half and a midfield "enforcer" to enhance the players already at the club. Why play Thicot at r/back/ [only his second start all season], Stevenson was outclassed at l/back the midfield was over-ran/outclassed with the result there was no decent balls played to our forward[s]. We have now gone, in the space of just over a month from being a "stick-on" for 3rd place to struggling to hold onto 5th. Just not accectable. We are now turning in displays which, if we had been all season would see us relegated. YOGI - get it sorted NOW - get back to basics and start with playing people in their correct positions with a 442 formation with Ant & deek up front and Bamba sitting in front of our two centre halves. As it stands we only have the S/C to save our season and we always excell in that don't we.

silverhibee
22-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I'm feeling a bit for him, I liked the look of the team he put out against the Yams.
Spoony into the midfield, Thicot at right back, Murray and Stevenson on the left and Deeks and Stokes up top.
Thought that was a decent set up. The only thing I would have done differently is played Nish and Deeks up front and dropped Stokes, coz he was poor against Ross County. :agree:

How can we be competing for the title in November and end up fighting just to keep our top six place in March? How the hell can we expect Yogi to work with player that are so unpredictable in terms of attitude, and inconsistent? He's obviously not afraid to change certain players, which is what we cry out for everytime we get humped! :grr:

Sorry but Deeks was not up top with Stokes at the weekend, it was Miller who was up there.

ahibby
22-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I think he means it's a quarter final cup game so that should be all the motivation they need. The fact that it's against a lower league team and in the Highlands shouldn't affect their motivation.

I personally don't think the motivation was bad on Saturday but the team tactics and set up definitely was bad. If the players didn't feel right with the set up then that could affect them negatively but they were motivated as far as I could tell. Miller supporting Stokes up front isn't on when others were available to do that job. Also making so many changes in our defence when we were only missing Hogg is another mistake in my view. Saturday's defeat in my opinion was more down to Yogi than the players.

Hermit Crab
22-03-2010, 11:55 AM
The 5-1 drubbing against St Johnstone should have been the wake up call.

Seemingly not.

the 1-4 tanking at home to gers should have had alarm bells ringing

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 12:00 PM
That doesn't answer the question of why they were not motivated for a trip to Tynie and to keep pressure on for 3rd place.

Nothing to do with being motivated. Hearts have better players. Hibs were out run, out fought and out classed and the manager didnt have a clue how to change things.
Murray should have been at left back or Hanlon. McCormack could have gone to centre half as Bamba is posted missing half the time. There are two better goalkeepers sitting in the stand. Play Riordan through the middle with Stokes and give Liam Miller a kick up the hint end.
There are loads of options, some pretty obvious but the manager didnt try to change things. He seemed more interested in having a laugh with the Hearts fans. It is disturbing when you see so many players having a go at him and trying to tell him whats wrong but he still failed to do anything.
Motivation is fine and well but at the end of the day its skill, luck and tactics that win you games.

BEEJ
22-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Nothing to do with being motivated. Hearts have better players. Hibs were out run, out fought and out classed and the manager didnt have a clue how to change things.

He seemed more interested in having a laugh with the Hearts fans. It is disturbing when you see so many players having a go at him and trying to tell him whats wrong but he still failed to do anything.

Can't agree that they have better players. :no way:

This quote is taken from today's Grant Stott article in the EEN:

I believe there was a big clearing of the air last week after the Ross County game with some home truths being exchanged amongst the players and management and I had hoped it might have had the desired effect. Perhaps they'll need another one before they head up north for tomorrow's replay.

Is this news or was it commonly known on here?

blackpoolhibs
22-03-2010, 12:08 PM

13 points from 7th, and 2 points off 3rd. Dont you just love hibs fans.:bitchy:

Bad Martini
22-03-2010, 12:14 PM

I do actually agree with you here mate, regards our current predicament and where we are.

I think the underlying point many are covering now is along the lines of the "how" we are where we are now. Whilst many called it sour grapes at the start of the season, its now becoming clearer that we were actually quite lucky on occassion and our current league place etc perhaps flatters us more than it should.

Hey, I'll take it EVERY time by luck, hook or crook - I dont want to downplay the role some luck can have BUT, we need some proper thinking and planning as luck can/will/does (and possibly HAS) run out now.

Which is where, much as I hate to admit it, if you canny be up there with the playign resources of the smelly bassas of the infirm, you should be able to make it hard to be beaten. I dont like Pa Broon's management style but he's done no too bad and its clear to see...it bores the erse of most of us and I wouldnt suggest we move to such a playing style BUT, it does work.

Whereas we, are somewhat adrift now...NOW is the time to get a plan and a spare plan and get it into action before we lose the ****ing lot...regardless of we got it this season, its still there - 3rd place, Cup etc ... but its rapidly gonna go if we dont get oor sheite in order.

CheesyHibby
22-03-2010, 12:19 PM
The thing is, despite our absolute pishness since xmas (bar perhaps a win at parkhead) we are still only a couple of points off third and should be okay for the top 6 if we beat falkirk sat. the problem i think is no-one can really see us winning any games convincingly by performing well and scoring freely. Just aint gonna happen atm and serious changes required in the summer, as a few decent performances- and lest face it relatively lucky wins- do not good seasons make.

paullotion
22-03-2010, 12:35 PM
The great thing about football is that we've got the opportunity to do it on Tuesday in the quarter-final of the Scottish Cup. If that doesn't motivate you, nothing will."

Its the second sentence thats most important. Fair enough the players should (we all hope) be motivated for tuesday, but my point is, why in gods name were they clearly not motivated for an away derby and an important game in regards to our upcoming fixtures, especially after such a poor performance last week against county?!!!

What yogi is saying is spot-on, what else can he really say? If the players are not motivated then that tells you something about their mentality, and yogi should get shot of those players who are not self-motivating.

If yogi is trying to create a winning mentality at the club this takes time, look how long it took Sir Alex to build one at man u, Sir Alex had to make some tough choices, including letting Jim Leighton go. How many man u fans wanted Sir Alex sacked?

I believe the players are the problem, was there not rumour that JC and MP lost the dressing room, could we have a poisoned dressing room?

During every season there be hard times, you either pull your socks and work harder, or feel sorry for yourself, i believe that is what the players are doing- time for them to grow up, if not, get rid of them regardless of who they are.

Vince White
22-03-2010, 12:42 PM
Murray should have been at left back or Hanlon. McCormack could have gone to centre half as Bamba is posted missing half the time. There are two better goalkeepers sitting in the stand. Play Riordan through the middle with Stokes and give Liam Miller a kick up the hint end.
There are loads of options, some pretty obvious but the manager didnt try to change things. He seemed more interested in having a laugh with the Hearts fans. It is disturbing when you see so many players having a go at him and trying to tell him whats wrong but he still failed to do anything.
Motivation is fine and well but at the end of the day its skill, luck and tactics that win you games.

Nonsense. How come they've struggled all season to stay in the top six? Prior to Saturday they'd won a couple of games under Jefferies but they'd also lost to St Johnstone, St Mirren, Dundee United and Motherwell so you can't say they've improved beyond recognition since Plan F got shown the door.

Nope, truth is Hibs handed it to Hearts on a plate by failing to show up. They didn't have to be good to beat us, we just didn't compete. Embarrassing.

Sir David Gray
22-03-2010, 12:45 PM
The thing is, despite our absolute pishness since xmas (bar perhaps a win at parkhead) we are still only a couple of points off third and should be okay for the top 6 if we beat falkirk sat. the problem i think is no-one can really see us winning any games convincingly by performing well and scoring freely. Just aint gonna happen atm and serious changes required in the summer, as a few decent performances- and lest face it relatively lucky wins- do not good seasons make.

Even if we lose our remaining four matches before the split, we'll still make the top six.

Hearts and St Johnstone would both need to win all of their remaining pre-split games and we would need to lose all of ours for us to finish out of the top six.

Not going to happen.

Littlest Hobo
22-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Even if we lose our remaining four matches before the split, we'll still make the top six.

Hearts and St Johnstone would both need to win all of their remaining pre-split games and we would need to lose all of ours for us to finish out of the top six.

Not going to happen.

Ye want a wee wager? :devil: :wink:

BEEJ
22-03-2010, 12:57 PM
I believe the players are the problem, was there not rumour that JC and MP lost the dressing room, could we have a poisoned dressing room?
Well that will narrow down the core of the problem as being from amongst Hogg, Stevenson, McCann, Benji and Zemmama. :greengrin

They're the only players remaining that played under JC.

If the dressing room has been 'lost' then its more likely to be down to a loss of confidence in the manager and the way he is setting up the team. Hence the 'clearing the air talks' that apper to have happened last week.

paullotion
22-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Well that will narrow down the core of the problem as being from amongst Hogg, Stevenson, McCann, Benji and Zemmama. :greengrin

They're the only players remaining that played under JC.

If the dressing room has been 'lost' then its more likely to be down to a loss of confidence in the manager and the way he is setting up the team. Hence the 'clearing the air talks' that apper to have happened last week.

Possibly, but it could also mean the players want an easy ride, just have to put on a performance now and again and hope that keeps the supporters happy, for me that is not good enough. The OF are at their weakest for years(hopefully many more) and yet we are too far behind them in the title race, considering how close we were just prior to xmas. This happens year after year when hibs have a good start and it always falls away around that time of year, if yogi want to build a winning side he has to be ruthless, the do not have to like him, if they do not want to play for him, then they can leave.

marinello59
22-03-2010, 03:53 PM

:top marks

blackpoolhibs
22-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Possibly, but it could also mean the players want an easy ride, just have to put on a performance now and again and hope that keeps the supporters happy, for me that is not good enough. The OF are at their weakest for years(hopefully many more) and yet we are too far behind them in the title race, considering how close we were just prior to xmas. This happens year after year when hibs have a good start and it always falls away around that time of year, if yogi want to build a winning side he has to be ruthless, the do not have to like him, if they do not want to play for him, then they can leave.

:faf:I'm pretty sure they dont think that.:faf: How absurd would that be, just think about it for a moment.

HFC 0-7
22-03-2010, 06:18 PM
Because 5 or 6 of our ''first team'' players are tosh. Simple.

Do you think for one second yogi isnt hurting as much as us?
I suspect he's booted ther erchies a few times this season with no great effect

He also tried big'n the players up and publicly supporting them.

Once you've used all your carrot and sticks thers nothing left to do but wait until the summer and replace the duds, its not rocket science, just common sense.

Play players in ther positions and bring in some decent experianced players.

Fill over the cracks e.g rb,rw,lw and cd postions with signings.

The players at the club are not too interested, saturday being the example personafied.

Get it sorted petrie, and lets get behind the team.

I would agree with you if the players had been playing this way all season, but thats not the case. We know what the players are capabale of but now its not happening, duds or not, pretty much all the team are very much underachieving. For whatever reason this is happening, its Yogis job to make sure they are not underachieving.

HFC 0-7
22-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Are you not disappointed and more importantly worried about our performances in the last 5 or 6 games? When Yogi came in everyone pretty much agreed that if anyone can get players motivated then it would be him. Now it looks like he isnt just struggling to do it, but even in the games where players will self motivate like derbies and scottish cup games, its just not happening.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 12:25 AM
Are you not disappointed and more importantly worried about our performances in the last 5 or 6 games? When Yogi came in everyone pretty much agreed that if anyone can get players motivated then it would be him. Now it looks like he isnt just struggling to do it, but even in the games where players will self motivate like derbies and scottish cup games, its just not happening.

Of course i'm concerned, but not overly worried. I never expected us to do anything this season. In fact if someone could bring the poll we had back at the start of the season, i think i voted we'd be 5th. We are having a bad run, i dont think its down to motivation, i think its down to a couple of things.

We have a few of our better players off form, and one of our best injured (zemamma). I'm confidant we will win tomorrow, and i think we will qualify for europe. We will get stronger next season, and as long as we progress like i think we are, thats fine for me.

Removed
23-03-2010, 12:29 AM
In fact if someone could bring the poll we had back at the start of the season, i think i voted we'd be 5th.

http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=157525 (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=157525)

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 12:38 AM
http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=157525 (http://www.hibs.net/message/showthread.php?t=157525)

Cheers mate, yes 5th as i thought. :wink:

Removed
23-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Cheers mate, yes 5th as i thought. :wink:

Aye, but that's at the end of the season. I still think we'll finish 4th :wink:

paullotion
23-03-2010, 08:35 PM
:faf:I'm pretty sure they dont think that.:faf: How absurd would that be, just think about it for a moment.

Maybe not, but its more about there mentally, if you aim for third place in the league, then the best you`ll achieve is third.