PDA

View Full Version : Has the manager utilised the squad to it's potential this season?

col02
21-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I am wondering why when changes are made be it enforced due to injury, suspension or even "tactical" the players coming in do not show any real appetite to make the starting slot their own. Does Hughes approach to favouring the same players week in week out when available bring with it a sense of despondancy for the fringe players?

There are many people who would argue this squad is the 3rd best in the league yet whenever the need arises for a squad player to come in we are found wanting. I think Hughes style of managing a squad is something that leaves a lot to be desired and it does have to be a squad game over the course of the season.

No doubt be a case of some thinking the fringe players are not up to it but that begs the question why have guys in the squad you have no faith in?

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 04:16 PM
I think Highes has made mistakes, i think playing riordan wide, is one he makes every week. Although he could counter that by saying he's producing enough from that position, with goals and assists.

I think we should be playing 4-4-2, but he does not.
I personally dont think we have the 3rd best squad in the league, i think we have far too many average players, and a lot in the sideleines, who again, i dont think are very good, but they have done well to get to were they are with 4 new players and a kid from the 19s added from last seasons shambles.

col02
21-03-2010, 04:24 PM
I think Highes has made mistakes, i think playing riordan wide, is one he makes every week. Although he could counter that by saying he's producing enough from that position, with goals and assists.

I think we should be playing 4-4-2, but he does not.
I personally dont think we have the 3rd best squad in the league, i think we have far too many average players, and a lot in the sideleines, who again, i dont think are very good, but they have done well to get to were they are with 4 new players and a kid from the 19s added from last seasons shambles.

4-4-2 with Galbraith on the left and Wotherspoon/Zemmama on the right improves our width and lack of pace going forward problem straight away. Then you have four guys in Riordan, Stokes, Nish and Benji who battle it out for two strikers roles not a case of playing all four to keep them happy at the detriment of the shape defensively. For all the plaudits Hughes took till the turn of the year he now has to earn his wages by showing he can instill a bit fight and something resembling decent football into this squad.

truehibernian
21-03-2010, 04:24 PM
The only tactics I have seen with Hughes is to "throw forwards at it". We certainly don't have the third best squad, as we are fifth in the league, have struggled to beat those around us, and are hanging on in the cup by our fingernails and a pinball clearance by Nid, McBride and Stack. We have only beaten Motherwell under Gannon, and fluked a Parkhead win (out of the top 6 teams). All other five teams have now beaten us. Time for Hughes, fans, and the players to get realistic, look in the mirror, and say to themselves "are we cheating ourselves and the fans"..............only one answer in my book. Hibernian players work in easy surroundings and are not made to appreciate what they have. Yogi is central to that. When he comes out with "ma guys have given me everything since I come here", well sorry, but he plays into their spoilt wee hands. No wonder players who have been found out elsewhere want to come to play here. Soft as putty and no real hard workers who want to put the professional into professional footballer. The first five minutes in Dingwall will show us exactly how much recent results and criticism has "hurt". If they start with this wishy washy namby pamby ***** in the opening minutes there, you will again see a defeat with no desire or fight, and a manager who is clueless as to how to react on the spot. Quick throw in's, fast passing, crunching tackles, winning 50/50's and headers, no arguing over free kicks............thats what I want to see. Not a game being played like it is in slow motion.

Dunkin' Donut
21-03-2010, 07:40 PM
as usual, our problems have been self inflicted thus far. everything goes through the middle and we are crying out for some width in the team. too many of our players are in the comfort zone as the team is picking itself right now. the team against hearts must have been picked out a hat.

noseyhibby
21-03-2010, 08:30 PM
At the moment the quality within our squad and the utilisation of that quality is secondary to the issues of team-set up, fight, commitment and passion. This said, Yogi appears to be struggling to know what his best line up is or what tactics to introduce during games that are running away from his players on the day. He does not appear to utilise his squad effectively. I'd go as far to say that he is stubborn in selecting his favourites time and again, irrespective of how poor they have been in the previous game/games. Hibs have gone from having an almost impenetrable defence to one leaking goals left, right and centre, irrespective of who is playing. The problems at present run deeper than Yogi utilising his squad effectively. There appears to be a collective defeatist attitude amongst the squad, which begs the question "does the squad believe in Yogi and/or his tactics and set-ups?" Whilst talking about squads,I for one am disappointed to see so few under 19s breaking through from last seasons wonder team that stood head and shoulders above all within that age group.

The_Todd
21-03-2010, 08:38 PM
No he clealy hasn't. We have a great squad of players but not a team. The manager has to take responsibility for that fact.

matty_f
21-03-2010, 08:46 PM
I am wondering why when changes are made be it enforced due to injury, suspension or even "tactical" the players coming in do not show any real appetite to make the starting slot their own. Does Hughes approach to favouring the same players week in week out when available bring with it a sense of despondancy for the fringe players?

There are many people who would argue this squad is the 3rd best in the league yet whenever the need arises for a squad player to come in we are found wanting. I think Hughes style of managing a squad is something that leaves a lot to be desired and it does have to be a squad game over the course of the season.

No doubt be a case of some thinking the fringe players are not up to it but that begs the question why have guys in the squad you have no faith in?

I have to say that I don't think Yogi's got the right balance in the side yet, however, when he does I'd like to see him have a preferred starting 11 that plays every week when possible.

Since Collins, I can't remember too many times when the starting 11 has picked itself, or when we've gone with the same players in the same positions for anything more than 2 games.

We don't play enough games to make squad rotation a huge issue, we've not got many internationalists that need rested throughout the season, so we should have 11 players who should be considered regular starters, and then when someone gets the chance to come into the team they have to step it up to keep their place.

Team spirit, consistency and fluency come through playing games together, IMHO.

Bad Martini
21-03-2010, 08:58 PM
At the moment the quality within our squad and the utilisation of that quality is secondary to the issues of team-set up, fight, commitment and passion. This said, Yogi appears to be struggling to know what his best line up is or what tactics to introduce during games that are running away from his players on the day. He does not appear to utilise his squad effectively. I'd go as far to say that he is stubborn in selecting his favourites time and again, irrespective of how poor they have been in the previous game/games. Hibs have gone from having an almost impenetrable defence to one leaking goals left, right and centre, irrespective of who is playing. The problems at present run deeper than Yogi utilising his squad effectively. There appears to be a collective defeatist attitude amongst the squad, which begs the question "does the squad believe in Yogi and/or his tactics and set-ups?" Whilst talking about squads,I for one am disappointed to see so few under 19s breaking through from last seasons wonder team that stood head and shoulders above all within that age group.

Spot on mate.

The part in bold is my issue at present and was my issue for quite some time though unfortunately, that doesn't come into play til the hard times come in...Im sure he stated something publicly how we wouldnt make 2nd (fair dues, I knew that though at one point we were sitting there and ****ed it up) but also said we would be lucky to make 3rd and 4th was more likely...not the stuff to instill confidence in players.

PatHead
21-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I feel we are lacking leadership on the park. Wish we had a "real" Captain who isn't scared to give players a real rollicking during a game and lead by example. Would be good if he was also a ball winning midfielder as well but maybe thats hoping for too much.

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 09:52 PM
No he clealy hasn't. We have a great squad of players but not a team. The manager has to take responsibility for that fact.

We have many things, but a great squad is not one of them.:confused:

IberianHibernian
21-03-2010, 09:56 PM
I feel we are lacking leadership on the park. Wish we had a "real" Captain who isn't scared to give players a real rollicking during a game and lead by example. Would be good if he was also a ball winning midfielder as well but maybe thats hoping for too much.Think this has been a big problem for years - in 40 odd years I`ve supported Hibs only Stanton and Sauzee ( and maybe briefly Blackey and Yogi ) have been inspirational captains and I can`t see anyone in present squad who makes a good captain . Body language of players looks wrong too and too often you see players and manager bickering on touchline ( maybe touchline ban will bring some positives ? ) . Still think Yogi can become a great Hibernian manager but he`s got to make it clearer who`s in charge and signing a couple of leaders would help too . Leaders who are also better players than ones we`ve got now - hopefully we`ll sign a couple of players like this in summer and not another 2 unnecessary goalies or ineffective ball players . Of course these could be expensive signings but signing half a dozen ordinary players who disappear when things get bad may end up being even more expensive and with no reserve league is it not better to have a first team squad of about 18 plus youngsters ?

Hibby 2005
21-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Yogi's use of Galbraith answers the original question.

BEEJ
21-03-2010, 10:32 PM
There were six signings last summer and Zemmama returned from that season long loan.

Of all the players that left last summer only Fletcher and possibly Jones could be regarded as losses.

The_Todd
22-03-2010, 08:22 AM
We have many things, but a great squad is not one of them.:confused:

By outside of the OF SPL standards we have more than a decent squad.

Allant1981
22-03-2010, 08:29 AM
Apart from changing things during a game there isnt much yogi had done wrong, yes riordan could go up front but is there a midfielder who can come in and score the goals he has? This would mean the goals that Nish has scored(not that there are many but more than our midfield) we may not have and might possibly not be in the position we are in just now. Think he needs to concentrate on getting the same 11 players out week in week out rahter than swapping about constantly. obvioulsy he cant do anything about players being injured but changing for changings sake needs to stop ie stack back in for smith when he has done nothing wrong

RIP
22-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm giving Hughes 3 years from joining us to turn over the squad

As for fighting spirit, attitude, dedication - the lack of it is the Hibs disease.

There's a cultural malaise at the club that Mowbray and Collins both highlighted.

Mowbray tried sports psychology and brought in Murphy, Hogg and Jones - great pros, solid at the back, total professionals on and off the park.

Collins tried fitness, psychology and foreign players which he hoped wouldn't be tainted by our culture

Maybe Yogi can instil ambition, fight, professionalism and fitness into the team. So far, on this front, he has failed to meet my expectations

7Hero
22-03-2010, 08:52 AM
Yogi's use of Galbraith answers the original question.

as does his use of hanlon too.

whiskyhibby
22-03-2010, 04:36 PM
I feel we are lacking leadership on the park. Wish we had a "real" Captain who isn't scared to give players a real rollicking during a game and lead by example. Would be good if he was also a ball winning midfielder as well but maybe thats hoping for too much.

I think this is probasbly the crux of the issue, along with a commanding Centre Half, Sol can be great but does not command the box in the same way that Rob Jones used to and the amont of communication in the defence does not seem great, Hogg I think has sufferred a little this season from having other duties rather than his own.............