PDA

View Full Version : Accident after game

Alex Trager
21-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Anyone see my little brother get hit by a moped on Roseburn terrace yesterday? If so did you catch any reg plate info

Cheers

Dunbar Hibee
21-03-2010, 04:51 PM
Is your brother ok?

Alex Trager
21-03-2010, 04:59 PM
I he's ok but still want to know if anyone caught the plate

Alex Trager
21-03-2010, 05:08 PM
He got back up and started walking showed a spirit our team never had

craig1875
22-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I he's ok but still want to know if anyone caught the plate

I never seen the plate but just after it happend, the moped driver stopped a bus and had a word with the driver, who was taking notes. I would contact lothian buses and see if they have any record of it.

Ed De Gramo
22-03-2010, 04:43 PM
I never seen the plate but just after it happend, the moped driver stopped a bus and had a word with the driver, who was taking notes. I would contact lothian buses and see if they have any record of it.

It was a red moped and the driver was late 30's early 40's or there about...never saw the reg plate either

Alex Trager
22-03-2010, 05:16 PM

It was a red moped and the driver was late 30's early 40's or there about...never saw the reg plate either

Cheers boys

.Sean.
22-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Cheers boys
Good luck tracking him down mate :aok:

How's your brother?

Alex Trager
22-03-2010, 10:19 PM
Good luck tracking him down mate :aok:

How's your brother?
He's fine man just a wee bit hurt.. the boy just drove off which is annoying ... 40 Y.O saying to a twelve Y.O its your fault.... maturity

Lucius Apuleius
23-03-2010, 08:44 AM
He's fine man just a wee bit hurt.. the boy just drove off which is annoying ... 40 Y.O saying to a twelve Y.O its your fault.... maturity

Unless of course it WAS his fault then it was the truth as well as maturity.:devil:

speedy_gonzales
23-03-2010, 12:28 PM
I was always told that when it came to RTA's involving pedestrians, it was ALWAYS the vehicles fault.
For my sins I used to live at Wheatfield Terrace and if I accidentally drove back as tynie was emptying I usually had to stop the car and allow the uneducated masses to pass me by, absolutely no point in trying to force my way through. I'm a little suprised however to see it happen a lot on matchdays at ER, a lot of folk in cars push there way through the crowds, rather than wait the 5 minutes:confused:

Lucius Apuleius
23-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I was always told that when it came to RTA's involving pedestrians, it was ALWAYS the vehicles fault.
For my sins I used to live at Wheatfield Terrace and if I accidentally drove back as tynie was emptying I usually had to stop the car and allow the uneducated masses to pass me by, absolutely no point in trying to force my way through. I'm a little suprised however to see it happen a lot on matchdays at ER, a lot of folk in cars push there way through the crowds, rather than wait the 5 minutes:confused:

Strange one speedy. So the poor woman who threw herself in front of the Megabus? That was the driver's fault? (totally taking aside the other facts in the case)

BSEJVT
23-03-2010, 03:37 PM

Agree entirely

To be honest the situation at ER is an accident waiting to happen.

Plod should have put a stop to that a long time ago.

Still if it gets someone home 5 minutes early whats someone's life?:grr:

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Still if it gets someone home 5 minutes early whats someone's life?:grr:

That's why I tend to walk on pavements. Just so I don't get run over.

Bristolhibby
23-03-2010, 03:41 PM

As far as I am aware, if you are involved in an RTA you are legally obliged to stop. If you track him down the guy will be in big trouble for failing to stop after an accident and exchange details with you.

Perhaps the guy was steaming, and stopping would mean losing his licence and a massive fine. He will be in just as much trouble if you manage to track him down. The fact that a child was involved makes it worse IMO.

J

beccathehibee
23-03-2010, 03:51 PM
if he is tracked down pretty sure that he could be charged with failing to report an accident within 24hrs and failing to stop at a scene of an accident. Or sowt like that!

BSEJVT
23-03-2010, 03:53 PM

You really are becoming an unpleasant smart arsed unhappy git these days arent you?

Thread after boring thread, the master of the one line put down. not!

When there are that many people leaving the stadium its not always possible to do so.

craig1875
23-03-2010, 03:56 PM
As far as I am aware, if you are involved in an RTA you are legally obliged to stop. If you track him down the guy will be in big trouble for failing to stop after an accident and exchange details with you.

Perhaps the guy was steaming, and stopping would mean losing his licence and a massive fine. He will be in just as much trouble if you manage to track him down. The fact that a child was involved makes it worse IMO.

J

He did stop and spoke to the driver of a bus while at the crossing. Not sure if this is where it happend but he may have got the bus driver to take details since the boy he hit, got up and walked away?

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 03:58 PM
You really are becoming an unpleasant smart arsed unhappy git these days arent you?

Just becoming? Be fair though I’m not the one moaning about getting run down after I walked on the road. If a car/bike mounts the pavement you have a legit complaint.

BSEJVT
23-03-2010, 04:06 PM
I havent complained about getting run down either and here's hoping I have enough road sense not to:greengrin

There are however any number of older folks or younger folks maybe lacking that experience or mental agility who do walk on the road who I believe are at risk from this practice.

Care for your fellow man and all that? no?

Or was the temptation for a cheap shot too much?:wink:

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Or was the temptation for a cheap shot too much?:wink:

I try not to miss an open goal. :greengrin

1two
23-03-2010, 04:19 PM

As someone has already said, its not possible to walk on pavements with that volume of people taking the same route.
With that ammount of people about a sensible driver would be cautious anyway but to hit a child (assuming he is a child) and drive off is ridiculous regardless if he got up.

You should phone the police maybe the driver reported it and took his reg.

Alex Trager
23-03-2010, 05:32 PM
He did stop and spoke to the driver of a bus while at the crossing. Not sure if this is where it happend but he may have got the bus driver to take details since the boy he hit, got up and walked away?
Well the fact is when your twelve you dont really think oh i've just came out from watching a pile of ***** and am now wanting to walk over the road to catch a bus, then an old man hits me oo wait the now since i should know the rules of the road not the road user- who stopped said its your fualt then drove away-then i did .... what would you do at that age?

Alex Trager
23-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Just becoming? Be fair though I’m not the one moaning about getting run down after I walked on the road. If a car/bike mounts the pavement you have a legit complaint.
Lets be sensible here take twenty years of your age.. and then you realise he's not mentally totally developed and would you give up your space on a pavement to a four foot twelve year old

Mister P
23-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Well the fact is when your twelve you dont really think oh i've just came out from watching a pile of ***** and am now wanting to walk over the road to catch a bus, then an old man hits me oo wait the now since i should know the rules of the road not the road user- who stopped said its your fualt then drove away-then i did .... what would you do at that age?

how many people were about?

it sounds like the guy had a look back, saw the wee man get up and hoped he was ok. probably thought " Im no stopping in amoungst several hundreds/dozens of p!ssed off football fans to get my head stomped in, the lad appears to be alright" and decided to stop a bus driver to get him to confirm he was aware of the accident, give his name and address incase needed, and explain he was just not willing to put his neck on the line like that.....maybe even had a hearts scarf on :dunno:

I know it's illegal what he did, but you can maybe understand his situation :dunno: just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt here.

Id chase up the bus company, just see if they have any info.
If the guy does end up being a jambo, post on here and we'll all go round and pay him a visit :devil:

Mister P
23-03-2010, 05:54 PM
personally I felt like throwing myself in front of a moving vehicle after that game:faf:

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Lets be sensible here take twenty years of your age.. and then you realise he's not mentally totally developed and would you give up your space on a pavement to a four foot twelve year old

Fair enough I hope the wee man's ok.

skipster7
23-03-2010, 06:13 PM

:confused: back to you, i park the car opposite the loch inn and am amazed people dont even look before they step onto the road at that side st. rather than wait the 5 SECONDS to let a car out the junction.if you are waved acrooss fair enough but it is a road after all.:bitchy:

Judas Iscariot
23-03-2010, 06:14 PM
http://www.transitmiami.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/pedestrians1.gif

:agree:

craig1875
23-03-2010, 06:15 PM

Never said he should know the rules of the road, but from where the bus stop is to the traffic island, is not far at all. I assume that it must have somewhere in between the two that the incident happend.

I saw the moped driver stoped at the lights where he got off and IMO reported what had happend to the bus driver behind, who had a notepad in his hand and probably had a good view of it himself. He couldn't change details with your brother so reported it to a profeshional (sp) driver. I don't know what he should have done but he did something, to at least have a record of what happend. Does lothian buses have any record of it?

Rory89
23-03-2010, 07:56 PM
I was right behind your wee brother when it happened and saw the whole incident clear as day. The first thing to say is that the driver looked like there was nothing he could've done about it, the wee lad ran out and the driver stopped quickly and unfortunately hit into the kid. What was disappointing was that when your brother got up the driver shouted at him something the lines of "what the **** you doing", which isn't a nice thing to say to a kid who probably got the shock of his life.

The driver stopped and only drove on when the kid got up, so considering he wasn't at fault for the incident I don't think the driver can be charged with anything. Unless it's a crime to be a complete *****, which he came across as by shouting at your brother. Fair play to him though, your brother just got up and walked on, if that was me when I was his age I would've been crying like a baby.

speedy_gonzales
24-03-2010, 10:07 AM
:confused: back to you, i park the car opposite the loch inn and am amazed people dont even look before they step onto the road at that side st. rather than wait the 5 SECONDS to let a car out the junction.if you are waved acrooss fair enough but it is a road after all.:bitchy:

Firstly, I am a driver so am not giving this solely from a 'pedestrian' point of view.
When it comes to the rules of the road, the police/courts act on road traffic law, not the highway code which is nothing more than an advisory leaflet with various points referring to the actual law they are derived from. If you are in a vehicle and someone walks in front of you without looking(don't ask why) you MUST stop or at least attempt to, it 'aint good enough to say the pedestrian walked out without warning.
Back to your point though, from my own experience when I lived at Gorgie, I do sympathise with your issue of not getting out the side street but I wouldn't imagine you'd get far anyway for the throng of supporters heading in all directions, would it not be more sensible to sit tight and wait and let the masses disperse?

speedy_gonzales
24-03-2010, 10:12 AM

J

No legal obligation to stop at the scene, nor is there any obligation to exchange details. The reason being, you wouldn't want a vunerable person stopping and getting out their car in a remote place if they had been involved in an 'accident' with a car 5-up full of big 6' bruisers!
However, any incident must be reported to to (ideally) the nearest cop-shop within 24hrs.

speedy_gonzales
24-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Strange one speedy. So the poor woman who threw herself in front of the Megabus? That was the driver's fault? (totally taking aside the other facts in the case)
It's a hard one to swallow but the pedestrian was here before the ridden horse/carriage/bike/car whatever.
Our laws are ancient and based on historical precedencies, whether you agree with it or not, that woman 'may' have lived if it wasn't for that bus or any other vehicle.
Fact of the matter is, I reckon a VAST amount of low speed accidents between vehicles and pedestrians in towns are caused by the pedestrians unwillingness to cede way to vehicles or be more observant before crossing the carriageway(IMHO), however I don't recall too many cases where the pedestrian is charged, I do know of a few cases where the driver has been negligent and they HAVE been charged/fined/penalised. Part and parcel of having the privelege to drive, and it is a privelege, not a right.

ArabHibee
24-03-2010, 10:26 AM
how many people were about?

it sounds like the guy had a look back, saw the wee man get up and hoped he was ok. probably thought " Im no stopping in amoungst several hundreds/dozens of p!ssed off football fans to get my head stomped in, the lad appears to be alright" and decided to stop a bus driver to get him to confirm he was aware of the accident, give his name and address incase needed, and explain he was just not willing to put his neck on the line like that.....maybe even had a hearts scarf on :dunno:

I know it's illegal what he did, but you can maybe understand his situation :dunno: just giving the guy the benefit of the doubt here.

Id chase up the bus company, just see if they have any info.
If the guy does end up being a jambo, post on here and we'll all go round and pay him a visit :devil:

:agree: Totally agree with the first paragraph. I probably wouldn't have stopped in a crowd full of pissed off hibees either. And he was on a moped not in a car.

Can't believe no-one's asked Sean if his brother had been drinking?

skipster7
24-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Firstly, I am a driver so am not giving this solely from a 'pedestrian' point of view.
When it comes to the rules of the road, the police/courts act on road traffic law, not the highway code which is nothing more than an advisory leaflet with various points referring to the actual law they are derived from. If you are in a vehicle and someone walks in front of you without looking(don't ask why) you MUST stop or at least attempt to, it 'aint good enough to say the pedestrian walked out without warning.
Back to your point though, from my own experience when I lived at Gorgie, I do sympathise with your issue of not getting out the side street but I wouldn't imagine you'd get far anyway for the throng of supporters heading in all directions, would it not be more sensible to sit tight and wait and let the masses disperse?
i never said i wouldnt stop:greengrin, its just that people aren't even looking for cars on that road which imo is far enough from the ground to be walking on the pavement.once your out that bit its a clear road down to mussy as the fans are already starting to disperse so i'll have to disagree.
anything to take my mind of that pash last night.:agree:

patlowe
24-03-2010, 01:51 PM
I was there. It was an unfortunate incident as the driver didn't necessarily do anything wrong but he shouldn't have reacted the way he did, it seemed instinctive though and he mellowed immediately (probably because a load of already pissed off hibs fans were baying for his blood!).