PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Stevenson - nice lad, but just doesn't have it.

lyonhibs
21-03-2010, 09:21 AM
After his treatment of the ball in possesion today - 1st half especially - and the overall roasting that Spanish waiter gave him, I think it's safe to say that everyone's favourite nice, hard-working player isn't merely suffering in a drop in confidence, but suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept to be much use to the Hibs squad in the medium/long term.

He treated the ball like it was a grenade with a 2 second timer on it, booting it away, anywhere, as soon as he got it, in the first half especially.

Every other player appears to have got their performance criticised and, in the most part, rightly so, but for me Derby Day nerves affected Stevenson the worst, and I think it's time he was dropped, for his own good as much as anything.

Whether at LB or CM, recent performances have been of the calibre that would have seen a certain other small left footed player designated - as if he isn't already - the Hibs.Net "Scapegoat of the Season" a long time ago.

7Hero
21-03-2010, 09:24 AM
amazing how we played in that cup final compared to where he is now. "should have been a contender" :take that lol

1two
21-03-2010, 10:00 AM
he was there to save stack on numerous occasions though, i thought there were worse players today

Teo10
21-03-2010, 10:01 AM
I thought he was one of the better players in the second half, we would have been beaten by ALOT more if he hadn't made 3 or 4 vital tackles/clearences off the line. Not to mention the SUPERB tackle of whatever yam went clean through on goal, he bust a gut got back and made a brilliant tackle to stop what was a certain goal. He may have got roasted but in the second half once again he got the ball outwide, NO support what-so-ever yet still managed to skin that small waiter and get a very good cross in, he seemed to want to push the team on which unlike the rest of the team until we scored seemed missing.

Lets not just pick up on the negatives here, Lewis did'nt exactly have an output once he got the ball as Deek was drifting infield.

I am not sticking up for him here just highlighting the positives from yesterday......

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 10:06 AM
He's only one of many who are not good enough. But he is part of the best squad we have had in some peoples lifetime.:faf:

Shrekko
21-03-2010, 10:09 AM
After his treatment of the ball in possesion today - 1st half especially - and the overall roasting that Spanish waiter gave him, I think it's safe to say that everyone's favourite nice, hard-working player isn't merely suffering in a drop in confidence, but suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept to be much use to the Hibs squad in the medium/long term.

He treated the ball like it was a grenade with a 2 second timer on it, booting it away, anywhere, as soon as he got it, in the first half especially.

Every other player appears to have got their performance criticised and, in the most part, rightly so, but for me Derby Day nerves affected Stevenson the worst, and I think it's time he was dropped, for his own good as much as anything.

Whether at LB or CM, recent performances have been of the calibre that would have seen a certain other small left footed player designated - as if he isn't already - the Hibs.Net "Scapegoat of the Season" a long time ago.

100 % correct.

Not sure what Lewis has that protects him from the stick that other players get. To me a player who treats the ball like a hot tattie at this level is a coward and a poor player but very few seem to notice when it's 'wee Lewis'.

Choir boy looks and a couple of decent games amongst great players 3 years ago seems to have given him this immunity and good luck to him as most folk dont want to see players being abused. As you say however- similar performances from Rankin as well as previous guys like Kerr, Chisholm, van Zanten etc would have led to meltdown on hibs.net and vile abuse on the terraces.

This thread will soon be full of posters defending him and blaming other people but the truth is that players of his calibre are the reason we're in the form we are.

allmodcons
21-03-2010, 10:17 AM

Regardless of whether or not I agree with your post WTF has his size got to do with his ability.:confused:

He's the same size as Lionel Messi.

Shrekko
21-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Regardless of whether or not I agree with your post WTF has his size got to do with his ability.:confused:

Cos if you're small you need to have some other attribute/s to compensate. How many small players have made it in the game without being exceptionally fast, strong, or skillful?

California-Hibs
21-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Been saying this for a long time now, and ive been shot down by some folk in threads that ive mentioned it on. Lewis Stevenson should not be playing for Hibs. As you've said, he's technically inept, so uncomfortable on the ball it's cringeworthy. I think he's in the category of the Ross Chisholm, Ross Campbell type players who are now playing lower league football, thats where i feel he's destined for. He just doesnt have it to be pulling on a Hibs shirt, we need abit more quality in there. Hanlon should have been playing yesterday instead of him IMO, but we still need to strengthen the defence/left midfield area pronto!

Shrekko
21-03-2010, 10:27 AM
I think he's in the category of the Ross Chisholm, Ross Campbell type players

I posted last season that there was little to choose between Chisholm - who was almost universally seen as awful on here, and Stevenson. The suggestion was pretty much ridiculed by certain high profile posters and I was told that Lewis was 'light years ahead' of Chisholm. Well I dont think so.

Simkin911
21-03-2010, 10:29 AM
Defensively, when things were a total mess, he was one of the best of a bad bunch in the 2nd half. Some great interventions when it looked like the poorest Hearts team in maybe 20 yrs with NO decent strikers or attacking midfielders, threatened to pump a few more goals in.

Agree, his distribution was mostly quite appalling and he did get skinned a few times but where were the big performances of Bamba et al? You know, the guy worth several million and destined for the EPL next season?

If there's a problem, it isn't with Stevenson. It's with Hughes. He picks the team, watches the guys in training and decides the tactics. I fail to believe Stevenson plays like a world beater in training and then acts differently during game time.

The problem is too many players, Stevenson included, won't take Hibs further than 3rd (at best) to maybe 6th with a few cup runs thrown in. I'm not entirely convinced there will be a BIG clear out during the summer as I don't think there will be sufficient money to make improvements which are sufficiently worthwhile.

seanraff07
21-03-2010, 10:29 AM
he was there to save stack on numerous occasions though, i thought there were worse players today

Stack.:agree:

NadeAteMyLunch!
21-03-2010, 10:30 AM
100 % correct.

Not sure what Lewis has that protects him from the stick that other players get. To me a player who treats the ball like a hot tattie at this level is a coward and a poor player but very few seem to notice when it's 'wee Lewis'.

Choir boy looks and a couple of decent games amongst great players 3 years ago seems to have given him this immunity and good luck to him as most folk dont want to see players being abused. As you say however- similar performances from Rankin as well as previous guys like Kerr, Chisholm, van Zanten etc would have led to meltdown on hibs.net and vile abuse on the terraces.

This thread will soon be full of posters defending him and blaming other people but the truth is that players of his calibre are the reason we're in the form we are.

Coward?!? :confused: Were u at the game yeah? Was no better/worse than anyone else yesterday so doesnt deserve to be singled out! Wheres the Miller or Mcbride threads? Neither of them were better than Stevenson! But hey, we are Hibs and we need a scapegoat eh.

allmodcons
21-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Cos if you're small you need to have some other attribute/s to compensate. How many small players have made it in the game without being exceptionally fast, strong, or skillful?

That's just nonsense. Answer the question what's height got to do with ability ?

How many tall players have 'made it' without being fast, strong or skiful ?

Wilson
21-03-2010, 10:31 AM
That's just nonsense. Answer the question what's height got to do with ability ?

Just Nade.

EasterRoad4Ever
21-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Sadly have to agree with OP. Lewis has been living off early potential and his brilliant performance 3 years ago for long enough. IMHO he's not even good enough as a back-up player let alone playing a key position in our first team defence. Too small, couldn't tackle (for the most part), got pulled out of position so many times, and was taken to the cleaners by the Spanish guy who is a mediocre winger. Size has a lot to do with it when your a defender up against guys like Obua. Lost count of the number of times yesterday when a throw in or forward pass by the Yams went over Stephenson's head and took him out of the game. Just compare Lewis to Lee Wallace - a chasm of difference in class and stature :bitchy:

Shrekko
21-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Coward?!? :confused: Were u at the game yeah? Was no better/worse than anyone else yesterday so doesnt deserve to be singled out! Wheres the Miller or Mcbride threads? Neither of them were better than Stevenson! But hey, we are Hibs and we need a scapegoat eh.

Nothing to do with needing a scapegoat- I dont abuse players at the game, but someone started a thread on a forum about a particular player so I commented.

Watched the game on tv yesterday but have probably witnessed 95% of Lewis's appearances in the flesh if that helps.

Simkin911
21-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Just Nade.

Yeah, and with the football - sorry hoofball - we played yesterday we are likely to have had more success with Nade wearing a green shirt (abit like the hulk really - ripping at the seams).

Shrekko
21-03-2010, 10:39 AM

Not nonsense at all- it's a physical game and small players need other attributes to contribute.

The truth is, a big strong lump with little ability can actually make a decent living out of the game if they're smart enough- their size and strength can be an attribute on it's own.

You must be kidding me if you cant think of limited players who are tall who've done ok simply because of their nuisance value.

Absolutely comical that Messi's used as an example in a Lewis Stevenson thread. Just surprised Xavi and Iniesta havent been mentioned yet.

number 27
21-03-2010, 10:43 AM

Of course height has nothing to do with ability, but in a league where so many players are of a broadly similar standard then the tall, strong, athletic players will come out on top of the short, lightweight ones.

It is wrong to single out one player perhaps but Lewis suffers from being one of a number of Hibs players who will always be physically outmatched. Unless we finally address this we will continue to struggle.

allmodcons
21-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Sadly have to agree with OP. Lewis has been living off early potential and his brilliant performance 3 years ago for long enough. IMHO he's not even good enough as a back-up player let alone playing a key position in our first team defence. Too small, couldn't tackle (for the most part), got pulled out of position so many times, and was taken to the cleaners by the Spanish guy who is a mediocre winger. Size has a lot to do with it when your a defender up against guys like Obua. Lost count of the number of times yesterday when a throw in or forward pass by the Yams went over Stephenson's head and took him out of the game. Just compare Lewis to Lee Wallace - a chasm of difference in class and stature :bitchy:

There's also a chasm of difference in class between Lee Wallace and the best left back in the UK. Same size as LS - 5ft 7ins - Ashley Cole.

I'm not defending LS just don't think size has anything to do with ability.

Shrekko
21-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I'm not defending LS just don't think size has anything to do with ability.

I think you're missing the point mate- nobody is saying size has anything to do with ability.

allmodcons
21-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Not nonsense at all- it's a physical game and small players need other attributes to contribute.

The truth is, a big strong lump with little ability can actually make a decent living out of the game if they're smart enough- their size and strength can be an attribute on it's own.

You must be kidding me if you cant think of limited players who are tall who've done ok simply because of their nuisance value.

Absolutely comical that Messi's used as an example in a Lewis Stevenson thread. Just surprised Xavi and Iniesta havent been mentioned yet.

Why is it comical? I'm arguing the point that size has nothing to do with ability.

He's the best example of a player in the modern game to support my point.

col02
21-03-2010, 11:00 AM
I liked Stevenson when he broke through into the first team and thought he had a lot of potential but I have to admit he has stagnated at Hibs and a move away may be best. Unlike some though I think there is a decent player in there just a case that he perhaps needs regular football.

allmodcons
21-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I think you're missing the point mate- nobody is saying size has anything to do with ability.

Have you read OP.

Quote 'he (LS) suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept'.

The OP's entitled to his view regarding LS's ability. I just don't think it has anything to do with his size.

I'm glad that you agree, size has nothing to do with ability!

number 27
21-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Have you read OP.

Quote 'he (LS) suffers from the double whammy of being too small and technically inept'.

The OP's entitled to his view regarding LS's ability. I just don't think it has anything to do with his size.

I'm glad that you agree, size has nothing to do with ability!

Sorry but I think you are missing the point. You can be too small or you can be inept but you cannot get away with both. Lewis would be fine with the ability he has if only he was bigger and stronger.

Therefore, like it or not, size matters.

lucky
21-03-2010, 12:27 PM
He is a decent player more than capable playing the SPL. But he needs a settled run in the team. His confidence is low and is always looking to get rid of the ball as soon as gets it. He works hard and puts the effort in but as a LB he must look to go forward more

crewetollhibee
21-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Can we please put to bed this myth that Stevenson played like some world-beater 3 seasons ago ? Yes he was NAMED as MOTM against Killie but IMHO he was at best Hibs 6th or 7th best player on the day. He was mentioned by Ian McCaul a few times early in the game, because he was only 19 at the time, and McCaul kept praising him for every little thing he did. Did he score a goal ? No. Did he have any near misses ? No. Any last gasp clearances off the line ? No. A good tidy midfield performance at best; that's all it was. And still 3 years down the line, we keep getting this 'Stevenson was MOTM' rubbish, as some sort of reason for sticking with the guy. Please, any Lewis' defenders, I urge you to watch the whole game again and see what I mean. GGTTH.

Sammy7nil
21-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Skinned for 1st goal
Stuck to his task despite having a mare.
Far worse players yesterday he will never be a full back decent squad midfielder
As for the guy who called him a Coward Grow up FFS Lewis was one of the very few who did commit to his tackles yesterday

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Can we please put to bed this myth that Stevenson played like some world-beater 3 seasons ago ? Yes he was NAMED as MOTM against Killie but IMHO opinion he was at best Hibs 6th or 7th best player on the day. He was mentioned by Ian McCaul a few times early in the game, because he was only 19 at the time, and McCaul kept praising him for every little thing he did. Did he score a goal ? No. Did he have any near misses ? No. Any last gasp clearances off the line ? No. A good tidy midfield performance at best; that's all it was. And still 3 years down the line, we keep getting this 'Stevenson was MOTM' rubbish, as some sort of reason for sticking with the guy. Please, any Lewis' defenders, I urge you to watch the whole game again and see what I mean. GGTTH.

Well said, its right up there with Andy Mcneils cup winning save, as the biggest myth about that game. Stevensons a tidy player, but not good enough, has not improved enough to get a game in an inferior team. A loan period may help, i have my doubts.

Expecting Rain
21-03-2010, 01:01 PM

Lewis sould have been loaned out to another club where he wouldn`t be shunted from one position to the next and have to watch Rankin running about like a headless chicken from the bench, regarding his booting the ball up the park, when players in front of you are putting themselves in positions where they don`t want the ball, what is the alternative, to get caught in posession?
For the record he wouldn`t be in my first eleven and i feel he hasn`t taken his chance when he`s been picked for the first team which coincidentally doesn`t help when the whole team is having a mare!

Hibee_Lisa
21-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Can we please put to bed this myth that Stevenson played like some world-beater 3 seasons ago ? Yes he was NAMED as MOTM against Killie but IMHO he was at best Hibs 6th or 7th best player on the day. He was mentioned by Ian McCaul a few times early in the game, because he was only 19 at the time, and McCaul kept praising him for every little thing he did. Did he score a goal ? No. Did he have any near misses ? No. Any last gasp clearances off the line ? No. A good tidy midfield performance at best; that's all it was. And still 3 years down the line, we keep getting this 'Stevenson was MOTM' rubbish, as some sort of reason for sticking with the guy. Please, any Lewis' defenders, I urge you to watch the whole game again and see what I mean. GGTTH.

:top marks Never understand how he came away with MOTM that day.

seanraff07
21-03-2010, 01:14 PM
:top marks Never understand how he came away with MOTM that day.

He was brilliant that day, but that and his debut against Aberdeen were his only really good performances he has had for us IMO.

Hibee_Lisa
21-03-2010, 01:17 PM
He was brilliant that day, but that and his debut against Aberdeen were his only really good performances he has had for us IMO.

How exactly was he brilliant? I don't remember him doing much of note in all honesty.

seanraff07
21-03-2010, 01:19 PM
How exactly was he brilliant? I don't remember him doing much of note in all honesty.

I never noticed him much during the game but after watching the full match again i noticed that many of our attacks went through him and he had quite a few efforts himself, something he's never really looked capable of doing again.

(((Fergus)))
21-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Why is it comical? I'm arguing the point that size has nothing to do with ability.

He's the best example of a player in the modern game to support my point.

Size has loads to do with ability in the kids game and is therefore important for coaches who prize trophies over youth development. Unfortunately this stupid mentality is also carried over into the adult game.

Westie1875
21-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Lewis has suffered from being in and out of the team like a yoyo, and not even in the same position. I think the best thing for his own development would be a move (permanent or loan) away from Hibs.

That said, if it hadn't been for him in that 2nd half we would have lost at least 2 more goals, the clearance off the line and last ditch tackles saved us from a humiliating scoreline.

Baldy Foghorn
21-03-2010, 02:25 PM

:top marks
Exactly, he did more than his share of good defending, another scapegoat arises.....

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Exactly, he did more than his share of good defending, another scapegoat arises.....

Do you see stevenson as an integral part of a hibs team that will progress?

Baldy Foghorn
21-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Do you see stevenson as an integral part of a hibs team that will progress?

That is not what I am saying, he put in a decent shift yesterday, whilst other players were miles worse....

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 02:50 PM
That is not what I am saying, he put in a decent shift yesterday, whilst other players were miles worse....

Aye apart from giving us nothing going forward, being ripped up for arse paper in the lead up to their first goal, he did keep it neat and tidy, passing the ball to bamba a couple of times, and clearing the ball 40-50 yards to nobody all game. But you are right, others were worse.

Baldy Foghorn
21-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Aye apart from giving us nothing going forward, being ripped up for arse paper in the lead up to their first goal, he did keep it neat and tidy, passing the ball to bamba a couple of times, and clearing the ball 40-50 yards to nobody all game. But you are right, others were worse.

I wonder what games you watch at times..... A couple of goal line clearances, and a timely intervention to put off Glen when he was clean through......

Still some others never get stick though.....If if were not for Lewis we could have had a serious pumping

Baldy Foghorn
21-03-2010, 02:54 PM

Rankin was at fault along with Stack, still you blame Lewis if it makes you feel better

Ed De Gramo
21-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Thought Lewy was out his depths tbh but there was worse on the park.

I can only assume that Hanlon wasn't fully fit hence Lewy at left back...

That said, he done brilliantly to put Glen off and also hooked one of the line to keep us in the game

KWJ
21-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Some if the over exaggerated stick here is far more cringeworthy than Lewis' "Comfort on the ball".

I agree with crewtollhibees statement that his youth is what got him the MOTM award however Lewis said as much himself in post match interviews yet for CTH to then claim he was 6th or 7th best is a joke in itself. The guy was up there with a shout along with the goalscorers Benji, Fletcher and a surprisingly error free game from Captain Jones. He was the heart of that midfield.

As the other coward comment from the OP that's already been picked off then that's pretty crazy. He for me was the epitome of what Hibs needed from every player yesterday and stood up for himself when required. Hibs had **** all spirit yesterday but Lewis had it aplenty.

I also agree with the poster who has claimed Lewis has unsurprisingly found it difficult to come into a team that's losing, plummeting in confidence while at the same time being shifted positions. He's never going to be the type of player to come in and turn a whole team around but he's done no worse than some of the favourites on here.

Yesterday our team should have been getting the ball to Miller, Riordan, Stokes & Wotherspoon but none of them were making themselves available for the simple ball from the defense.

Key position in defense somebody said, how the **** is LB a key part of the 4 defending positions? It's just another weak way to have a go. He's not a centre back ffs.

I couldn't tell you a better player in the team yesterday and I do think he has his part to play in this squad.

Ultimitely however when BH says "Do you see stevenson as an integral part of a hibs team that will progress? "

The answer is no.

Baldy Foghorn
21-03-2010, 02:57 PM

That said, he done brilliantly to put Glen off and also hooked one of the line to keep us in the game

Hanlon failed a pre match medical I believe, but Yogi still named him as a sub??? I personally dont understand how you can be a sub if you are not fit to start?:confused:

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Rankin was at fault along with Stack, still you blame Lewis if it makes you feel better

I'm not blaming it all on stevenson, i agree rankin was pish, so was miller McBride and bamba, stokes wotherspoon and riordan were not far behind. The original poster was talking about stevenson, had he started a thread on the others, i'd have said a lot of the same.

Baldy Foghorn
21-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm not blaming it all on stevenson, i agree rankin was pish, so was miller McBride and bamba, stokes wotherspoon and riordan were not far behind. The original poster was talking about stevenson, had he started a thread on the others, i'd have said a lot of the same.

But is it fair to single out Lewis, when as a team they were all culpable?

blackpoolhibs
21-03-2010, 03:03 PM
But is it fair to single out Lewis, when as a team they were all culpable?

The title of this thread is, nice lad, but just doesn't have it. He's been on the fringes of the 1st team now for 3 and a bit years, so yes the question is a good one, and one i think the answer to is no.

hibsbollah
21-03-2010, 03:36 PM

To be fair, he hasnt just been 'living off his performance from 3 years ago' and nothing else. Earlier this season he played well in the 0-0 at Tynecastle, I gave him a 8/10 along with the rest of the defence that day.

He didnt play well yesterday, but i'd keep him in the squad.

Franck is God
21-03-2010, 03:42 PM
He wasn't our worst player yesterday but he didn't look like he wanted to stand out either.

Its a problem that most of our fringe players have had this year, when they get their chance they very rarely take the opportunity. None of them seem to want to shine, he got into a lot of good positions yesterday but almost always turned back on himself.

Either the encouragement to take a chance isn't coming from the sidelines or he has no belief in his own ability, I'm afraid that is something you either have or not, can't really be coached.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2010, 03:53 PM
Hanlon failed a pre match medical I believe, but Yogi still named him as a sub??? I personally dont understand how you can be a sub if you are not fit to start?:confused:

I'm not too sure who else we could have put on the bench, unless we put Brown or Makalambay on there and go with two goalkeepers.

The following outfield first team squad members who didn't get into our 18 man squad yesterday;

McCann-injured
Hogg-injured
Currie-Yet to play first team football in SPL
Zemmama-injured
Welsh-Yet to play first team football in SPL
Nish-suspended
Gow-injured

I'm guessing that Hanlon wasn't really fit to start the game but could have gone on if absolutely needed.

Mikeystewart
21-03-2010, 05:02 PM
I thought he was one of the better players in the second half, we would have been beaten by ALOT more if he hadn't made 3 or 4 vital tackles/clearences off the line. Not to mention the SUPERB tackle of whatever yam went clean through on goal, he bust a gut got back and made a brilliant tackle to stop what was a certain goal. He may have got roasted but in the second half once again he got the ball outwide, NO support what-so-ever yet still managed to skin that small waiter and get a very good cross in, he seemed to want to push the team on which unlike the rest of the team until we scored seemed missing.

Lets not just pick up on the negatives here, Lewis did'nt exactly have an output once he got the ball as Deek was drifting infield.

I am not sticking up for him here just highlighting the positives from yesterday......

His performance improved in the second half i agree. think a big problem for our full backs is there is rarely any one straight away on the wing that can receive the ball from the back, meaning there is constant pressure on both full backs who ever they may be think this is why we need 2 wide players rather than 3 strikers . works for Barcelona as they have ineista and xavi in the middle but i think most would agree miller and mc bride are not of the same calibre.

GieTheBaTaeReilly
21-03-2010, 05:35 PM
Just a couple of things:

The last thing I'd do to a grenade is "boot" it.

Yo-yos go up and down, not in and out.

Ta.

Judas Iscariot
21-03-2010, 06:20 PM

Must agree with all of that Tarquin..

He was torn to shreds by ****ing Subo FFS and continually played folk onside..

Never ANYWHERE near good enough for where we want to be if that's challenging for 3rd place..

Another one of the fair few guys in our squad tht would struggle to get a game for any other side in the SPL..

Needs moved on for the club and his own good..

bongo'd
21-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Some if the over exaggerated stick here is far more cringeworthy than Lewis' "Comfort on the ball".

I agree with crewtollhibees statement that his youth is what got him the MOTM award however Lewis said as much himself in post match interviews yet for CTH to then claim he was 6th or 7th best is a joke in itself. The guy was up there with a shout along with the goalscorers Benji, Fletcher and a surprisingly error free game from Captain Jones. He was the heart of that midfield.

As the other coward comment from the OP that's already been picked off then that's pretty crazy. He for me was the epitome of what Hibs needed from every player yesterday and stood up for himself when required. Hibs had **** all spirit yesterday but Lewis had it aplenty.

I also agree with the poster who has claimed Lewis has unsurprisingly found it difficult to come into a team that's losing, plummeting in confidence while at the same time being shifted positions. He's never going to be the type of player to come in and turn a whole team around but he's done no worse than some of the favourites on here.

Yesterday our team should have been getting the ball to Miller, Riordan, Stokes & Wotherspoon but none of them were making themselves available for the simple ball from the defense.

Key position in defense somebody said, how the **** is LB a key part of the 4 defending positions? It's just another weak way to have a go. He's not a centre back ffs.

I couldn't tell you a better player in the team yesterday and I do think he has his part to play in this squad.

Ultimitely however when BH says "Do you see stevenson as an integral part of a hibs team that will progress? "

The answer is no.

:top marksSpot on IMHO

lyonhibs
21-03-2010, 06:57 PM

The key phrase in my OP was "double whammy" - being physically small is not issue if you've got the technique, control and passing of Lionel Messi (or even 1/3 of his ability)

Stevenson doesn't.

Therefore he isn't a small, technically gifted player, nor is he a huge lump of skill-free muscle, who will at least be effective in the blood and thunder hoof-fest of a Edinburgh (for reference please see every Heart CB since time immemorial)

Maybe Lewis Stevenson could carve a neat career for himself in La Liga, (which I doubt) but Scottish football in general has a physical element to it, like it or not.

LS doesn't have the physique to withstand that physical aspect, nor the technical capacity to bypass it with skill. Therefore he shouldn't be near the Hibs starting 11, in my opinion.

noseyhibby
21-03-2010, 07:15 PM

I totally agree. I did not see him as MOTM on that particular day either. I have waited and waited for all those pro-Stevenson fans to prove me wrong in my assessment that his playing level is probably Scottish 1st division. He does not have the required abilities to be operating at regular SPL level. He gives his all, but so would I. This surely has to be his final season with us. How many more games and seasons does a guy need to prove himself?
I really hope he goes, and it will be with my genuine good luck ringing in his ears. There are too many Stevensons at ER bringing our collective level down to mere also rans.

BSEJVT
21-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I think the most telling question is whether he can take us further, the answer for me is a resounding no.

He is an honest enough trier, decent enough tackler and ...... That's it.

Those two things might be enough for him to make it in some other teams but in a small and slow Hibs team aren't.

If I had any wish for summer signings it would two big tall central midfielders who could tackle all day long.

Football ability and pace, particularly the latter would be very welcome.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
21-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Time to move him on, and Mr Rankin.

Cocaine&Caviar
21-03-2010, 07:22 PM

Or why not have Murray where he has done well the majority of the season at Left Back, then either Thicot or McCormack at CB, and Spoon at RB where he has done well all season.

BEEJ
21-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Jings, I hope Lewis doesn't stray on to Hibs.net tonight to cheer himself up after the Derby defeat.

He'll need counselling. :Ummm:

hibsbollah
21-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Jings, I hope Lewis doesn't stray on to Hibs.net tonight to cheer himself up after the Derby defeat.

Alternatively he might stray onto Hibs.net and be motivated to GIRU us and prove us all wrong. I really hope so because as the OP himself said, he's one of the good guys.

lyonhibs
21-03-2010, 07:58 PM

He'd be daft as well as gash to do that, even without this thread :greengrin

Shrekko
21-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Lewis sould have been loaned out to another club where he wouldn`t be shunted from one position to the next and have to watch Rankin running about like a headless chicken from the bench, regarding his booting the ball up the park, when players in front of you are putting themselves in positions where they don`t want the ball, what is the alternative, to get caught in posession?
For the record he wouldn`t be in my first eleven and i feel he hasn`t taken his chance when he`s been picked for the first team which coincidentally doesn`t help when the whole team is having a mare!

Oh jeez- so the reason his performances are sub-standard is because he's watched Rankin whilst sitting on the bench? Or because the rest of the team are always terrible when he plays? Can you think of any more bizarre excuses? You certainly wouldnt be looking for excuses after a poor performance by Rankin or Hogg.

The one about other players not wanting to receive the ball hence all the hoofing made me laugh as Lewis himself has the old hiding behind the marker trick off to a fine art. There are many occasions he could easily try a forward pass but it's generally backwards or hoof.

IIRC you have stated several times that you think Stevenson is Hibs first 11 material and in centre midfield at that.

If anyone seriously still goes with all this 'all he needs is a run' nonsense then I'm willing to bet that he'll never play at a higher level than he does now.

Oscar Lomax
22-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Lewis Stevenson was run in to the ground today. He worked his socks off. Considering he is not a left back, I think he did well. Maybe Liam Miller should look at the effort Lewis and Ian Murray put into a performance and try to replicate it!

Expecting Rain
22-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Oh jeez- so the reason his performances are sub-standard is because he's watched Rankin whilst sitting on the bench? Or because the rest of the team are always terrible when he plays? Can you think of any more bizarre excuses? You certainly wouldnt be looking for excuses after a poor performance by Rankin or Hogg.

The one about other players not wanting to receive the ball hence all the hoofing made me laugh as Lewis himself has the old hiding behind the marker trick off to a fine art. There are many occasions he could easily try a forward pass but it's generally backwards or hoof.

IIRC you have stated several times that you think Stevenson is Hibs first 11 material and in centre midfield at that.

If anyone seriously still goes with all this 'all he needs is a run' nonsense then I'm willing to bet that he'll never play at a higher level than he does now.

I can always count on you and Andy 74 to comebck with your obviously far superior knowledge of football, if it helps you both and makes you feel better you could spend a couple of days trawling through my previous posts on Hibs and come to the conclusion that you take my posts far too seriously, quite a lot of the time i have opinions and quite a lot of the time i`m wrong, anyhow you also might be happy to know that Yogi doesn`t call me up and ask for advice, finally take it easy kid and remember not everybody is hanging on to your every utterance and try to use the word bizarre in its proper context.

Yours Truly Churchy:cool2:

allmodcons
22-03-2010, 10:52 AM

You're dislike of LS appears to have no bounds.

You must have been licking your lips when you saw the OP.

FWIW there are a number of players in the current Hibs squad who will not play at a higher level than they do right now - Stack, Hogg, Rankin, Nish and Benji all spring to mind. Doesn't necessarily make them bad players.

monktonharp
22-03-2010, 12:11 PM
as the OP suggested,Lewis treated the ba' like the proverbial hot tattie,his saving grace being that he cleared the said tattie from the 6 yard box on a few occasions.that ,to me is not enough for a left back. btw,did he get that haircut by the cooncil?

RIP
22-03-2010, 12:20 PM
My ratings for a defensive midfielder, neither weighted nor prioritised

Heart - 8/10
Fitness - 9/10
Speed - 5/10
Two-footedness - 1/10
Heading ability - 2/10
Tackling ability - 3/10 (affected by his one-footedness)
Ball control - 3/10
Scoring ability - 0/10
Passing ability - short passes - 4/10
Passing ability - Long passes - 2/10
Creative passes - 3/10
Ability to beat a man - 3/10

Allant1981
22-03-2010, 12:51 PM
My ratings for a defensive midfielder, neither weighted nor prioritised

Heart - 8/10
Fitness - 9/10
Speed - 5/10
Two-footedness - 1/10
Heading ability - 2/10
Tackling ability - 3/10 (affected by his one-footedness)
Ball control - 3/10
Scoring ability - 0/10
Passing ability - short passes - 4/10
Passing ability - Long passes - 2/10
Creative passes - 3/10
Ability to beat a man - 3/10

Is this how you rate stevenson in that position or just that position in general

Shrekko
22-03-2010, 01:00 PM
I can always count on you and Andy 74 to comebck with your obviously far superior knowledge of football, if it helps you both and makes you feel better you could spend a couple of days trawling through my previous posts on Hibs and come to the conclusion that you take my posts far too seriously, quite a lot of the time i have opinions and quite a lot of the time i`m wrong, anyhow you also might be happy to know that Yogi doesn`t call me up and ask for advice, finally take it easy kid and remember not everybody is hanging on to your every utterance and try to use the word bizarre in its proper context.

Yours Truly Churchy:cool2:

ah Churchy- sounds like there's only one of us taking this too seriously and it's not me. I've genuinely never felt the need to go through any of your old posts though- I thought most of them were cut and paste to be honest :wink:

If you genuinely don't want your posts to be taken seriously and it's not just you spitting the dummy you should maybe make better use of all the smilies available.

Expecting Rain
23-03-2010, 09:45 AM
ah Churchy- sounds like there's only one of us taking this too seriously and it's not me. I've genuinely never felt the need to go through any of your old posts though- I thought most of them were cut and paste to be honest :wink:

If you genuinely don't want your posts to be taken seriously and it's not just you spitting the dummy you should maybe make better use of all the smilies available.

Most of my posts are cut and paste, i don`t care about my posts being taken seriously but it is annoying when they are not read properly, i`ve retrieved my dummy tit, now clean your specs and have a nice day.:dummytit:

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 10:00 AM

How about Nish v Stokes or Nish v Riordan? Nish every time?

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 10:56 AM
While a good big man will probably go further in the game, than a good little man. All we are seeing regarding Lewis is a small player, who's ability is average, he does give his all, but at the end of the day, endeavour can get you so far, in fact it can get you a lot further than your ability deserves.

He's just an average player, who had a couple of decent games early in his career. Because we had a few real quality ones come before him, he was tagged as the next one on the conveyor belt. Its not happened for him, he's not progressed as we hoped he would. A loan period, with regular football might help, but my gut feelings are he's not good enough to take us on.

Expecting Rain
23-03-2010, 11:00 AM
While a good big man will probably go further in the game, than a good little man. All we are seeing regarding Lewis is a small player, who's ability is average, he does give his all, but at the end of the day, endeavour can get you so far, in fact it can get you a lot further than your ability deserves.

He's just an average player, who had a couple of decent games early in his career. Because we had a few real quality ones come before him, he was tagged as the next one on the conveyor belt. Its not happened for him, he's not progressed as we hoped he would. A loan period, with regular football might help, but my gut feelings are he's not good enough to take us on.

This is a fair assesment imo and as usual irrespective of criticism Hibs fans arer always surely hoping that their players come good rather than see them fail.

Allant1981
23-03-2010, 11:00 AM
How about Nish v Stokes or Nish v Riordan? Nish every time?

why, nish doesnt win many balls in the air, doesnt hold the ball up very well, cant run very fast, blowing out his erse after an hour, doesnt score many goals. But aye I can see why you would want someone lke him in the team

DaniAndersson
23-03-2010, 11:03 AM
I posted some time ago about Stevenson, think it was at the start of the season, about how I felt he should be loaned out to a lower SPL club or First Division side. The lad needs confidence, and he also needs to discover where his best position is. He gets shunted around from central midfield to left back and that's not going to help him.

There is a good player locked away in there, remember his emergence under John Collins. Perhaps he's stagnated at Hibs, perhaps the tactics we use don't suit him (think he'd be handy in a five-man midfield) or perhaps he needs a run in the team in the same position to build up a rapport with fellow midfielders/defenders. Hughes is the man to answer that question.

For what it's worth, I think he's been average for the last two seasons and would benefit from moving on. I stand by the fact that there's a talented player in there, but he's behind Miller, McBride, Cregg and Rankin for me in midfield, and Hanlon and Murray are better options at left-back.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:05 AM
This is a fair assesment imo and as usual irrespective of criticism Hibs fans arer always surely hoping that their players come good rather than see them fail.

I have my doubts churchy, certain players, and the manager imho have enemy's for want of a better word amongst the hibs support, and a hat trick in the cup final wouldn't change their minds.

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 11:11 AM
why, nish doesnt win many balls in the air, doesnt hold the ball up very well, cant run very fast, blowing out his erse after an hour, doesnt score many goals. But aye I can see why you would want someone lke him in the team

:agree: He's tall - wins every time apparently.

Andy74
23-03-2010, 11:11 AM
Stevenson is a good lad and a trier but quality wise he hasn't pushed on and he doesn't have a long term future at hibs. He'll be a decent player maybe one level down.

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I have my doubts churchy, certain players, and the manager imho have enemy's for want of a better word amongst the hibs support, and a hat trick in the cup final wouldn't change their minds.

:agree: There seem to have been a few folk waiting on their oppportunity and the knives are now out. I think some folk are revelling in this poor run of form.

It must have really hit them bad when we went 14 games unbeaten.

number 27
23-03-2010, 11:19 AM
:agree: He's tall - wins every time apparently.

No it doesn't and nobody said that. Are you being deliberately obtuse or can you simply not understand a simple argument :dunno:

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 11:29 AM
No it doesn't and nobody said that. Are you being deliberately obtuse or can you simply not understand a simple argument :dunno:

It is indeed a simple argument. A simple one with loads of holes in it.

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 11:30 AM
:agree: There seem to have been a few folk waiting on their oppportunity and the knives are now out. I think some folk are revelling in this poor run of form.

It must have really hit them bad when we went 14 games unbeaten.

:agree: But why, that is the question?

number 27
23-03-2010, 11:37 AM
It is indeed a simple argument. A simple one with loads of holes in it.

You may think so but your point about Nish competely failed to find one.

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 11:39 AM
You may think so but your point about Nish competely failed to find one.

I used a Hibs player v Hibs player comparison - any other comparison is ridiculed.

I even used Ian Black as an example of a midget that gets stuck in the other week and that wasn't allowed either. Apparently you need to be tall to get stuck in.

number 27
23-03-2010, 11:46 AM
I used a Hibs player v Hibs player comparison - any other comparison is ridiculed.

I even used Ian Black as an example of a midget that gets stuck in the other week and that wasn't allowed either. Apparently you need to be tall to get stuck in.

Sorry I'm not looking for a fight I'm just in a really bad mood today-and I cant see it getting better- but do you really think Black is a good example, he gets stuck in but to no great effect as far as I can see.

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 11:47 AM
Sorry I'm not looking for a fight I'm just in a really bad mood today-and I cant see it getting better- but do you really think Black is a good example, he gets stuck in but to no great effect as far as I can see.

He's an example of a "midget" that gets stuck in. Whether he's good at football isn't the point. :wink:

number 27
23-03-2010, 11:55 AM
He's an example of a "midget" that gets stuck in. Whether he's good at football isn't the point. :wink:

No that wasnt what was being said, wee lewis gets stuck in too IMO. The point is about needing pace, power and athleticism if you are going to compensate for limited ability.

Shrekko
23-03-2010, 01:26 PM

:agree: You can see that in the constant threads bashing players like Nish, Rankin, and Hogg.

Peevemor
23-03-2010, 01:29 PM
:agree: You can see that in the constant threads bashing players like Nish, Rankin, and Hogg.

and Deek and Stack and Bamba and Murray and Zouma and Benji and Miller and ...

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 01:33 PM

Everybody except McBride I think.

hibsbollah
23-03-2010, 01:33 PM

and Stevenson, Wotherspoon and Stokes....

I think McBride has been safe from the witchfinders?

blackpoolhibs
23-03-2010, 01:37 PM
And Hughes.

Peevemor
23-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Everybody except McBride I think.

and Stevenson, Wotherspoon and Stokes....

I think McBride has been safe from the witchfinders?

Well he is knocking on 6' tall after all ...

houston1875
23-03-2010, 02:01 PM
just read the evening news today and there a guy in there who says why does yogi persist with lewis at left back,he's to short cant head the ball,then he says DW should be at right back and im like bud your contradicting yourself? both aint tall and aint the best defenders,make up your mind :grr:

Danderhall Hibs
23-03-2010, 02:12 PM
just read the evening news today and there a guy in there who says why does yogi persist with lewis at left back,he's to short cant head the ball,then he says DW should be at right back and im like bud your contradicting yourself? both aint tall and aint the best defenders,make up your mind :grr:

Persists with him at LB? One match?!

MrRobot
23-03-2010, 02:13 PM
I think Stevenson is a good wee player, not the best at the club but certainly not the worst. He isn't afraid to put in a tackle and works his socks off. His tracking back to make that tackle that prevented a probably goal was fantastic. Also did save as from getting beat by 2 or 3 more.

If Lewis is played in midfield, or just infront of the defence I think he will do well, at LB he is wasted.

Think he is just becoming another scapegoat.

BSEJVT
23-03-2010, 03:49 PM
I would disagree about Lewis becoming a scapegoat.

I think many Hibs supporters me included have a bit of a soft spot for Lewis and its a matter of disappointment that he hasnt kicked on as many hoped he would.

I am a bit puzzled by Hibs Net sometimes.

If this isnt a forum to discuss our views on the manager, the team, the players within and the club what is it?

Old age tells you that things are never as good (or as bad) as they seem.

Its inevitable that when we are on a poor run as we are that the natives are a bit more restless than usual.

Its not too clever IMHO that people cant express an opinion before all the better or worser Hibby than me nonsense starts (trolls and wind up merchants excluded)

One of our strengths is the ability to debate matters and rally when its appropriate to do so. If you take the debate away we will end up in a situation like Hearts where everyone toes the party line or is too afraid to raise honest concerns till its too late.

There were, probably still are loads of folk who questioned STF & RP's motives, Thats not a bad thing as its causes the rest of us to keep questioning ourselves and others to ensure all is well.

GreenPJ
23-03-2010, 03:55 PM
I think Stevenson is a good wee player, not the best at the club but certainly not the worst. He isn't afraid to put in a tackle and works his socks off. His tracking back to make that tackle that prevented a probably goal was fantastic. Also did save as from getting beat by 2 or 3 more.

If Lewis is played in midfield, or just infront of the defence I think he will do well, at LB he is wasted.

Very valid point in that outwith the cup final one of Lewis's best games was at *********** with Mixu and the Deek penalty. Lewis was effectively given the role of helping protect the defence and he did a great job that evening. Unfortunately a lot of his passing recently has let him down more than any other part of his game. Whether this is a confidence thing am not sure but if he can't pass to a Hibs jersey 30 yards away then he needs to do the Neil Lennon thing and play the 5 yard ball and stick to his strengths.

Oscar Lomax
23-03-2010, 04:16 PM

:agree: Agree.
A manager can wreck a players career playing him out of position. Fans start to get on the players back, confidence is affected, he gets dropped and its a snowball effect. I think Lewis can play football. I would like to see him moved to the old fashioned 'left half' position. People go on about Murray giving 110% but overlook Lewis for giving the same sort of effort. Murray aint the most skillfull but is complimented mainly on his effort.
For me I blame the manager totally for playing the lad out of position and basically what Susan did for the goal, he couldnt do that in another 20 attempts. Thing went for them on Saturday. Even the diplorable Garry Macay said they created more chances on Saturday than the last five or six games put together ! That tells you it all....

CiscoKid
23-03-2010, 06:02 PM
I really thought Stevenson had a great future ahead of him but I also agree with a few others in thinking that his best position is as a holding midfield player.

I think it can be good for a young players development to play a few different positions but its a bit unfair to judge him as just not having it when he is not playing in his best position.

I'd really like to see him get a bit of a run as a holding central midfielder, it might even release a few of our more creative midfielders to concentrate on what they are good at.

Expecting Rain
24-03-2010, 09:44 AM

Here we go again, these players i don`t rate but i would be more than happy if they proved me wrong, Rich, let `s see where they are next season.:cool2: