PDA

View Full Version : Is our team built round a system or its players?

swazzie
20-03-2010, 11:05 PM
It's seemed to me for a while now that Yogi has seen the players in his squad and is trying to structure a formation that will fit his 11 best players (4-3-3) rather than a structure that will actually compete and win games (4-4-2)

The latter must be the way to win games and climb up the league with the players at our disposal

This might mean ditching popular players like Riordan and Wotherspoon who are undoubtedly excellent footballers but don't seem to fit easily into a role that will suit the team and who seemed to be shoe-horned into a system they don't really belong to

Can Yogi really drop them? Any thoughts?

Franck is God
21-03-2010, 12:06 AM
It's seemed to me for a while now that Yogi has seen the players in his squad and is trying to structure a formation that will fit his 11 best players (4-3-3) rather than a structure that will actually compete and win games (4-4-2)

The latter must be the way to win games and climb up the league with the players at our disposal

This might mean ditching popular players like Riordan and Wotherspoon who are undoubtedly excellent footballers but don't seem to fit easily into a role that will suit the team and who seemed to be shoe-horned into a system they don't really belong to

I think he is falling into the same trap that Mixu did, maybe not as badly but the similarities are there.

He has come from Falkirk where he didn't really have a lot of striking talent to ER where he has Stokes, Riordan, Nish, Benji, Gow, Zemmama, Byrne & Galbraith, most of these players would start for the majority of SPL sides, he has spent much of the season trying to shoehorn as many of these players into the team as possible forgetting that too many strikers on the pitch very rarely works.

I have faith though, I've seen enough this season to think he will get it right.

seanraff07
21-03-2010, 11:11 AM

I didn't feel today that he had to have the team so they weren't in it, i thought Thicot at RB and Wotherspoon at RM worked, but what seems to be the problem is that Yogi appears to be reluctant to play Riordan upfront, and i'm still confused as to why not, if Riordan played upfront that would open the opportunity for Galbraith to get more of a chance in the first team would it not? I think we've got players covered for each position but i think Yogi makes the wrong choices a lot in where he actually plays them.

I can't remember Thicot ever doing much wrong yet he barely gets a game when he's very capable of playing at RB, this would give Wotherspoon a much better chance at RM.

And remember this is what we can do when Zemmama's not fit, when Zemmama is fit and Nish returns from suspension that opens up even more options and choices for us as to what the formation is, who starts and who plays where.