PDA

View Full Version : Stokes

benrocky
20-03-2010, 02:37 PM
And before you comeback at me saying how many goals he has scores etc etc, he can't hold up play he's not a team player he can't win headers he runs along side waiting for the opposition making a mistake rather than playing the ball etc

I could go on but lets be honest he's really not much of a player !

When is yogi going to realise he's only living on past performances ie Falkirk,its about time he had Galbraith,Byrne,Hanlon on from the start.

It is obvious that things are going pear shape can do no harm to try we cant do any worse than what is happening.:confused:

Davy Mac
20-03-2010, 02:39 PM
And before you comeback at me saying how many goals he has scores etc etc, he can't hold up play he's not a team player he can't win headers he runs along side waiting for the opposition making a mistake rather than playing the ball etc

When is yogi going to realise he's only living on past performances ie Falkirk,its about time he had Galbraith,Byrne,Hanlon on from the start.

It is obvious that things are going pear shape can do no harm to try we cant do any worse than what is happening.:confused:

Stokes has got more ability than half the Hibs team put together, and this pash about Yogi - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bye:

Wotherspiniesta
20-03-2010, 02:47 PM
Yeah, it's all Stokes' fault. :rolleyes:

He's not a target man and can't win headers? Correct, so why does Stack continue to pump long balls up to him?

He's not a team player? Stokes does the most chasing and closing down for us, so when he gets a half chance, he's entitled to take a shot on.

He runs along side waiting for the opposition to make a mistake? Yes, that's part of being a top striker, anticipating mistakes from the defence, it's seen him score a good number of goals for us this season.

Stokes is suffering like the rest of the team at the moment, but certainly wasn't helped today by the lack of support around him. At the end of the day, he's not a target man and shouldn't be played as a lone striker.

Get Riordan up front with him and develop a partnership instead of faffing around with 4-5-1, 4-2-4, 4-3-3.

benrocky
20-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Stokes has got more ability than half the Hibs team put together, and this pash about Yogi - zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz:bye:

Davy Mac are you pissed, show me where stokes's ability is because there has been no sign of it for a long time.
Do you think for a minute that yogi has got it right !!!! he really does need to look at the replays and spot his weaknesses.:wink:

Beefster
20-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Davy Mac are you pissed, show me where stokes's ability is because there has been no sign of it for a long time.
Do you think for a minute that yogi has got it right !!!! he really does need to look at the replays and spot his weaknesses.:wink:

Stokes is the second top scorer in Scotland this season. There is his ability summed up in one stat.

hibee_nation
20-03-2010, 02:59 PM
These thread starters with low posts are great for bringing out yam fuds. Bolt ya daftie you couldn't afford him.

benrocky
20-03-2010, 03:00 PM

He's not a target man and can't win headers? Correct, so why does Stack continue to pump long balls up to him?

He's not a team player? Stokes does the most chasing and closing down for us, so when he gets a half chance, he's entitled to take a shot on.

He runs along side waiting for the opposition to make a mistake? Yes, that's part of being a top striker, anticipating mistakes from the defence, it's seen him score a good number of goals for us this season.

Stokes is suffering like the rest of the team at the moment, but certainly wasn't helped today by the lack of support around him. At the end of the day, he's not a target man and shouldn't be played as a lone striker.

Get Riordan up front with him and develop a partnership instead of faffing around with 4-5-1, 4-2-4, 4-3-3.

If he attempted to win the ball like the defenders do then maybe he could create play rather than relying on mistakes.
You say he should not be played as a lone striker agree as I said he can't hold up play.:bye:

Captain Trips
20-03-2010, 03:00 PM

You have described some of the best goalscorers of all time there, I dont look for Stokes to do much more than score and this is what he has done, for this to work he needs supplied.

GreenBlade
20-03-2010, 03:07 PM

Tell me your kidding? :grr: At Falkirk he didn't have to run about like an idiot hoping someone in his team would actually pass him the ball. Stokes must be as frustrated as any of us!

benrocky
20-03-2010, 03:07 PM
You have described some of the best goalscorers of all time there, I dont look for Stokes to do much more than score and this is what he has done, for this to work he needs supplied.

It makes you think why he could'nt cut it in the South !!!!!!
You telling me that all a striker does is wait to be feed ,
I think if you watch PL YOU WILL SEE STRIKERS CREATE THERE OWN PLAY AND GOALS.

basehibby
20-03-2010, 03:09 PM

:bitchy: :bye: Stokes was not the problem today

Franck is God
20-03-2010, 03:10 PM

Kind of agree, he is a great scorer but not the best player. Give him credit he actually tries to do all the right things but just isn't very good at it. His first touch in the box tends to be a lot better, think he's a reaction striker more than a measured one. Wouldn't put money on him scoring if running through one on one with the keeper but give him an opportunity when he only has time to take a touch and hit it you see a different player altogether.

If you find him the right partner he will score even more,

benrocky
20-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Kind of agree, he is a great scorer but a dreadful player. Give him credit he actually tries to do all the right things but just isn't very good at it.

Thank you Franck someone that see's the same as I do.:top marks

Captain Trips
20-03-2010, 03:15 PM
It makes you think why he could'nt cut it in the South !!!!!!
You telling me that all a striker does is wait to be feed ,
I think if you watch PL YOU WILL SEE STRIKERS CREATE THERE OWN PLAY AND GOALS.

I dont care about cutting it down South, there are striker who create there own there some who dont, he doesnt as such and is one of the highest scorers in league, what are you looking for him to do? maybe if he created more on his own he wouldnt be in right positions for other goals.

He has done what I would hope in fact more for what we paid out for him, there are plenty of players who are not even getting basics right.

Wotherspiniesta
20-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Kind of agree, he is a great scorer but not the best player. Give him credit he actually tries to do all the right things but just isn't very good at it. His first touch in the box tends to be a lot better, think he's a reaction striker more than a measured one. Wouldn't put money on him scoring if running through one on one with the keeper but give him an opportunity when he only has time to take a touch and hit it you see a different player altogether.

If you find him the right partner he will score even more,

So that's Riordan AND Stokes that you don't want.

Who would you rather we played?

:confused:

benrocky
20-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I dont care about cutting it down South, there are striker who create there own there some who dont, he doesnt as such and is one of the highest scorers in league, what are you looking for him to do? maybe if he created more on his own he wouldnt be in right positions for other goals.

He has done what I would hope in fact more for what we paid out for him, there are plenty of players who are not even getting basics right.

Read my original thread ie your answers are there:dummytit:

Captain Trips
20-03-2010, 03:21 PM
Read my original thread ie your answers are there:dummytit:

I have read it, I am happy with Stokes you are not, nobody on this site will change my thoughts over season that Stokes has done a job, his remit is to score he has done.

matty_f
20-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I dunno what folk expect Stokes to do when he gets the square root of SFA service in areas that might just hurt the opposition.

Vini1875
20-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Stokes was left to play alone in the hearts half with no or very little support. He needs the service of others to allow him to play. Granted he is not the type who will beat two or three players and then score, but if he was he would not be in the SPL. I have long thought that Stokes is the type who needs to feed off a player like Mixu or Brewster. There are guys who may score loads but would create the space for a partner to score plenty. Stokes is the guy who will score loads given support and service. He gets very little.

benrocky
20-03-2010, 03:26 PM
I have read it, I am happy with Stokes you are not, nobody on this site will change my thoughts over season that Stokes has done a job, his remit is to score he has done.

Not disagreeing re goals scored just feel if he were to pass more often try to win balls the team would be better off and maybe other players would score . TEAM PLAYER :greengrin

Franck is God
20-03-2010, 03:32 PM
So that's Riordan AND Stokes that you don't want.

Who would you rather we played?

:confused:

Where did you get that from what I said?

We need to find the right partner for Stokes and let him do what he does best, score goals. I wouldn't have him leading the line by himself so if you are using a formation that has a single player up top then I wouldn't pick him but that would be the only time.

I don't think that partner is Riordan though, far too similar to work for me. He does link well with Nish and Benji and would probably work quite well with Gow too, they worked well together at Falkirk and I wonder if Yogi was thinking about that when he brought him in.

Captain Trips
20-03-2010, 03:32 PM
Not disagreeing re goals scored just feel if he were to pass more often try to win balls the team would be better off and maybe other players would score . TEAM PLAYER :greengrin

Yes maybe if he did pass more, but Stokes not passing more is way way down my list of problems, we have issues at the back and in middle needing looked at way before what Stokes does.

If you think our problems are with him then fine I totally disagree.

benrocky
20-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Tell me your kidding? :grr: At Falkirk he didn't have to run about like an idiot hoping someone in his team would actually pass him the ball. Stokes must be as frustrated as any of us!

Thats what i mean living in past Falkirk this is Hibs

benrocky
20-03-2010, 03:40 PM
These thread starters with low posts are great for bringing out yam fuds. Bolt ya daftie you couldn't afford him.

Only post when needed I have held off for most of season but need to say something .
And would defo not want to buy him as he is already in my team daftie:greengrin

reversep
20-03-2010, 03:45 PM
For the entire 1st half the Hibs support was the closest thing in a green shirt to stokes.
Where are the runners from midfield????
During the 1st half Stokes goes over to Yogi and seems to be making this point.
We,re not getting the best from Stokes playing him as a lone striker.

Westie1875
20-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Stokes need a partner, Hibs need to play 442, it really is THAT simple. :grr:

archiebald
20-03-2010, 04:35 PM
You are right he needs help-he is the goalscorer not the man to hold up play (FACT) we must play 4 4 2

Simkin911
20-03-2010, 04:47 PM
Ummm.... :rolleyes:
Interesting thread. Some posters have, in some posts, correctly identified the weaknesses in Stokes as a player. No argument there really... he doesn't win headers etc.. BUT ffs why, as a team, are we playing to his weaknesses rather than his strengths?

Seriously, you play hoofball like that and we'd retain more possession with Nade up front rather than Stokes. I can see it, everyone can it.... we have possession and immediately concede it again. But, we continue to do it - week after week.

Stokes isn't at fault here. We'd probably have much more success playing 4, 5, 1 or 3, 5 2 and playing the ball around the deck rather than hitting back to front.

Stokes is one of few players in the team who are capable of making a real difference in a match and, to be honest, he's a wasted player with those tactics.

Malthibby
20-03-2010, 05:11 PM
Stokes is very good at scoring goals, always puts in a shift, & copes with appalling service. Give him decent service & he will score; he is second top scorer in the SPl without that service.
The team's shape is all wrong; Stokes is not the issue.
GG

IWasThere2016
20-03-2010, 05:28 PM
I dunno what folk expect Stokes to do when he gets the square root of SFA service in areas that might just hurt the opposition.

Stokes need a partner, Hibs need to play 442, it really is THAT simple. :grr:

You are right he needs help-he is the goalscorer not the man to hold up play (FACT) we must play 4 4 2

Stokes is very good at scoring goals, always puts in a shift, & copes with appalling service. Give him decent service & he will score; he is second top scorer in the SPl without that service.
GG

SPOT ON! Yet Yogi cannae seem to see it! :grr:

Pedantic_Hibee
20-03-2010, 07:38 PM
The team needs to be built around Stokes, it's as simple as that.

There's also an alarming amount of yellow-cardigan-wearing fuds posting on this thread.

Alfred E Newman
20-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Stokes is not a team player so why build a team around him?

brydekirk
20-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Stokes is not a team player so why build a team around him?
:agree:

mcfly
20-03-2010, 08:18 PM
not a team player.......what are you on about??

tell me what service did stokes get today??

yogi is to blame for today he was out thought by jeffries, we were 2nd to every ball against a very poor hearts team.

his honeymoon is over.

wrong goalie in goals....smith did nothing wrong and should be in for tues. wotherspoon has been poor again and needs dropped.

midfield needs a bit of dig so try thicot, bamba, mcbride

we must win on tuesday end of and stokes is the man to get the goals

bayhibs
20-03-2010, 08:42 PM
You know,I dont't post on here very often but couldn't ignore this.

How someone could start a thread about Anthony Stokes today is beyond me, there were at least eight other players who I would have a go at before him.

If Hughes 'plan' was to hoof the ball up to him then it suceeded, the fact that Stokes made little of the service he received says more about the tactics than his ability/attitude.

CmoantheHibs
20-03-2010, 08:54 PM
GG

Couldnt agree more.It is so evident Hibs need someone who can hold up the ball and link things up.Why play big hoofs up to someone who isnt equipped to deal with that kind of service.Stokes tries his socks off but it isnt what he is good at.We have a team of football players yet punt the ball up to him.Surely it makes sense to have someone to hold things up so we can involve our midfield or give Stokes someone to feed off.
I think that Stack has been told to get the ball up to him early otherwise he wouldnt just lump it quickly upfield.To blame him for poor distribution is harsh when he is booting it 50 metres up to Stokes with 3 or 4 players around him.Even an outfield player with great passing ability would struggle to pick him out.

benrocky
20-03-2010, 10:49 PM
<P>
You know,I dont't post on here very often but couldn't ignore this.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>How someone could start a thread about Anthony Stokes today is beyond me, there were at least eight other players who I would have a go at before him.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
<P>If Hughes 'plan' was to hoof the ball up to him then it suceeded, the fact that Stokes made little of the service he received says more about the tactics than his ability/attitude.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>
How can you possibly blame tactics for his inability to make good the service he received,who is this new player you call tactics

YetholmHibee
20-03-2010, 10:56 PM

I would say you have described Riordan more than Stokes!

Stokes is the best striker.

Stokes needs a big powerful target man along side himself -- not a weak, lazy & slight Riordan.

:bye:

matty_f
20-03-2010, 11:05 PM
GG

benrocky
20-03-2010, 11:06 PM
I would say you have described Riordan more than Stokes!

Stokes is the best striker.

Stokes needs a big powerful target man along side himself -- not a weak, lazy & slight Riordan.

I hope that this big powerful target man can do all the things stokes can't (can@t)/doesn't otherwise its a waste of time :yawn::yawn:

jws1875
20-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Stokes is a good player but he is very very greedy

benrocky
20-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Stokes is a good player but he is very very greedy

Exactly not a team player :wink:

benrocky
20-03-2010, 11:18 PM

Matty if you agree then what is our problem ?:wink:

Cod Boy
20-03-2010, 11:20 PM
i think yogi forgot that nish was banned with the long ball route he took today

One Day Soon
20-03-2010, 11:29 PM
The team needs to be built around Stokes, it's as simple as that.

There's also an alarming amount of yellow-cardigan-wearing fuds posting on this thread.

Indeed. The smell of Rover and middle management is in the air.

Speedway
20-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Ltyf

davym7062
21-03-2010, 12:58 AM
whats he meant to do with a hoof up the park. get him playing in a 4 4 2 FFS

kiwihibby
21-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Agree with you 100% His distribution was absolutely woeful at Tynecastle.I don't think any of his passes reached their target.Needs to be given arest and Riordan put in the main strikers position. Sure he would do a much better job there. :grr:

Sammy7nil
21-03-2010, 01:17 PM
The service to Stokes in recent weeks has been very poor.

HOWEVER

He is incapable of holding the ball up full stop.
He offers less than Deeks in overrall play, yet gets less stick on here.
He is Very Selfish and seldom passes to a team mate. Mind you second touch is often a poor tackle.

He Plays for Hibs for a reason and that is because despite being a good finisher he is no Kris Boyd but puts in as little effort as Boyd.

Hibs do not have the quality of players to support 3 of either Stokes, Nish, Benji, Zemmama and Riordan in the same team. We have to work out which 2 play in the team and at this moment Stokes would not be one of the 2...

Expecting Rain
21-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Reading through a selection of threads it seems we should drop the two top scorers Riordan and Stokes, comedy gold!

seanraff07
21-03-2010, 01:20 PM
My main criticism of Stokes is that he simply does not make any effort to challenge for the ball in the air, fair enough he might not win many of them but he could at least try and i'd be happy enough.

Sir David Gray
21-03-2010, 01:28 PM
The service that Stokes has received in practically every game recently has been appalling. Nearly every single ball that he gets is a high punt up the park.

In the past week, we have had people calling for Derek Riordan and now Anthony Stokes to be dropped from the side. :wtf:

We've been bad enough as it is recently without dropping the two players who have scored 60% of our goals this season.

silverhibee
21-03-2010, 01:32 PM
The service that Stokes has received in practically every game recently has been appalling. Nearly every single ball that he gets is a high punt up the park.

In the past week, we have had people calling for Derek Riordan and now Anthony Stokes to be dropped from the side. :wtf:

We've been bad enough as it is recently without dropping the two players who have scored 60% of our goals this season.

Is it only 60%. :greengrin

matty_f
21-03-2010, 02:14 PM

:agree: It's absurd.

There are clearly problems with the side at the moment, but Riordan (as a player) and Stokes are not the issue, IMHO.

benrocky
21-03-2010, 02:25 PM

There are clearly problems with the side at the moment, but Riordan (as a player) and Stokes are not the issue, IMHO.

I will ask again Matty what is the issue ?

Expecting Rain
21-03-2010, 02:26 PM

It is absurd, both players are not beyond criticism but interestingly enough if Deeks had been subbed in the Kilmarnock and Hearts games would we have scored and if our top scorer had not been subbed we might have avoided a replay at Dingwall.

The_Horde
21-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Hughes is right there though, we were looking pretty decent until we conceded 2 stupid, stupid goals just as we did last weekend and have done since we got pumped 3-0 by the huns.

You can have all the attacking talent in the world but if you can't get the defensive stuff organized and you keep leaking goals left right and center then you really don't deserve to be winning matches.

I wish Yogi would stop tinkering with the defenders/goalkeeper for a few games and THEN if it doesn't work start dropping players.

The_Horde
21-03-2010, 02:33 PM

Conceding stupid goals, no leadership when things are going downhill, no settled back 4, horrible pitches, low confidence and a system that hasn't been working for weeks now?

matty_f
21-03-2010, 02:34 PM

IMHO, the issue is that Deeks is being asked to play left midfield, where he is almost entirely ineffective, save for the fact that he's got enough about him to score goals which have been crucial recently.

Because we're carrying at least one midfielder in Deeks, it leaves McBride, Miller and Rankin with too much to do.

And because Rankin is not the sort of player who is likely to influence a match in any way (IMHO), it means McBride and Miller become less effective.

As a result, we lose the midfield altogether. It's easy for teams to run over the top of us and then that puts the defence under pressure.

We then see a defence and a midfield toiling, and a striker in Stokes who will chase down as many lost causes as you want him to, but almost completely devoid of any service at all.

That's what the issue is, IMHO.

The way to fix it? Play Riordan alongside Stokes up front, get an effective left midfielder in to play that position (we could use Galbraith, but I haven't seen enough of him to know if that would be a good move or not), or we might need to wait til we can bring someone else in.

green.and.white
21-03-2010, 02:34 PM

What an utterly stupid post.
He's not much of a player? HE HASN'T GOT ANYONE HELPING HIM!!
Anthony Stokes is no Wayne Rooney, only world class strikers can play up front on their own effectively, he needs help and a steady partnership in a 442 formation with either Nish or Riordan would do him wonders. Him and Benji linked well together yesterday, he needs someone else to help him and if that happens watch the improvement.

Kaiser1962
21-03-2010, 03:02 PM

Absolutely. Deeks up front and Galbraith on the left. We have so many players not in their natural positions but guys, we have had a good season to date and we are going through a bit of a rum time just now and we will come through it hopefully starting this week.

Hibs90
21-03-2010, 04:26 PM

1. He's a poacher, not a target man.
2. Given the service, he scores goals ala his 17 this season.

Stokes is miles better than Byrne!

morris1
21-03-2010, 09:38 PM
Seriously is the fella posting this thread on something? Clearly has a problem with Stokes and I cant see why, I know its not a one man team but if you take away the goals stokes has scored to date we would be in a hell of worse position we are in today! Also things didnt work out down south for so many reasons other than his ability to play football he is such a talented player, stokes likes to play football, none of this long ball stuff, it doesnt work for him thats why he struggled at sheffield united his confidence was knocked massively while at sunderland and he knew coming to play for yogi he would be played week in week out therefore his confidence grew and he knows the (normally) yogi likes to play football and its worked for him so crawl back into your little whole! Stokes is a great player FACT! :top marks

benrocky
21-03-2010, 11:29 PM
Seriously is the fella posting this thread on something? Clearly has a problem with Stokes and I cant see why, I know its not a one man team but if you take away the goals stokes has scored to date we would be in a hell of worse position we are in today! Also things didnt work out down south for so many reasons other than his ability to play football he is such a talented player, stokes likes to play football, none of this long ball stuff, it doesnt work for him thats why he struggled at sheffield united his confidence was knocked massively while at sunderland and he knew coming to play for yogi he would be played week in week out therefore his confidence grew and he knows the (normally) yogi likes to play football and its worked for him so crawl back into your little whole! Stokes is a great player FACT! :top marks

Don't get so worked up over a thread,calm down man enough exitement for one day.
I would like to thank all who took time to contribute to this thread it has been a blast.
And I hope you all have a good week, hope to discuss something different next week.:faf:

Franck Stanton
21-03-2010, 11:35 PM
:bitchy: :bye: Stokes was not the problem today
Correct......STACK was however.

500miles
21-03-2010, 11:39 PM
People here forgetting that Stokes is only 21 and nothing like the finished article. He'll get physically stronger, and his touch will most likely improve. He needs to keep playing to do that, which makes a club like Hibs the best place for him to be at this point in his career.

He needs to be playing with someone who will take on the physical battles though. Someone who can challange. I maintain that he works best with Nish, and don't think that it's any coincidence that since Nish's appearances in the team have become more fleeting that Ant's goals have dried up a bit.

Phil MaGlass
22-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Stokes is a good player,not his fault he is not getting the support from our non existent midfield.

silverhibee
22-03-2010, 01:26 PM

Whatever Anthony.:thumbsup:

Allant1981
22-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Don't get so worked up over a thread,calm down man enough exitement for one day.
I would like to thank all who took time to contribute to this thread it has been a blast.
And I hope you all have a good week, hope to discuss something different next week.:faf:

easily ammused LTYF

Kato
22-03-2010, 02:01 PM
Maybe he doesn't win headers because Hughes doesn't do wingers.

Wotherspiniesta
22-03-2010, 06:50 PM
I am a scaffy jambo welt.

The_Todd
22-03-2010, 07:30 PM
This thread is fail, pure and simple.

HibbyAndy
22-03-2010, 07:47 PM
If it wasnt for Stokes goals and 'lazy Riordans' goals where would we be in the league?. 31 goals between them...id wager bottom 3. maybe bottom 2.

benrocky
22-03-2010, 11:09 PM
This thread is fail, pure and simple.

Correct:wink: