PDA

View Full Version : John Hughes

Craig_in_Prague
20-03-2010, 12:22 PM
Naturally feeling bitter right now,
But let's face it.... he's made some improvement from what we suffered under Mixu.................. but still, he's going to end up another 'hibee' who managed, and failed.
We typically have managers who sooner or later lose the dressing room and/or the fans.

Yogi is fast heading in that direction of losing both, perhaps.

We are toothless, pathetic and if this comes back to bite me on the butt, then fine, but i don't believe it.

Life of a Hibee :grr:

Matty_Jack04
20-03-2010, 12:35 PM
But let's face it.... he's made some improvement from what we suffered under Mixu.................. but still, he's going to end up another 'hibee' who managed, and failed.
We typically have managers who sooner or later lose the dressing room and/or the fans.

We are toothless, pathetic and if this comes back to bite me on the butt, then fine, but i don't believe it.

aye ok he had a good start i was loving it, but he has demonstrated his inability to both move a team up a gear (signings in jan) and change tactics personel to attempt to change things in our favour.
He speaks about passion and character in his interveiws which his team have now consistantly shown none of, we have been pumped by rangers at home, embarressed by st.johnstone away can any of us look at the team and say lessons have been learnt from any of these failings?

I've not been sure he has been the man for the job im certainly losing all hope i had.

Shrekko
20-03-2010, 12:43 PM

This is no better than under Mixu. At least we showed fight in derbies.

Craig_in_Prague
20-03-2010, 12:45 PM

We make average hearts teams look very good.

Suppose I need to think that those fans who were less satisfied with me when Yogi was appointed, are completely, but sadly, right.

mcfly
20-03-2010, 12:50 PM
i'm beginning to think all is not well at ER.

the team has not played well for weeks and can yogi motivate them??

this derby has been so 1 sided...we are lucky to be only 2-0 down.

we are spineless in midfield.....2nd to everything....worst derby performance for years in a derby....not even 1 shot on goal

disgraceful performance and if anyone can give me something positive to take from this performance i'd like to hear.

cabbage07
20-03-2010, 12:51 PM
If the **** are average then it just shows how pish we are i dont really want to go down the line of changing managers all the time .
But what is the answer hughes just hasnt got a clue and if he had did he would have brought in players for the right positions in Jan which he didnt.

shamo9
20-03-2010, 12:56 PM
You only truly fail when you give up. I don't see him giving up any time soon (unlike some of the 'footballers').

Give him the summer to ship out the deadwood and bring in some more guys who are willing to buy into his hardworking ethos. A lot of Hibs players today will have answered Hughes' questions on what needs to be done.

Only then can you really judge him.

Hibs90
20-03-2010, 01:12 PM
You only truly fail when you give up. I don't see him giving up any time soon (unlike some of the 'footballers').

Give him the summer to ship out the deadwood and bring in some more guys who are willing to buy into his hardworking ethos. A lot of Hibs players today will have answered Hughes' questions on what needs to be done.

This, but doesn't stop the pain now. Infact its more anger than pain.

fatbloke
20-03-2010, 01:13 PM
But let's face it.... he's made some improvement from what we suffered under Mixu.................. :grr:

Exactly where?

This is worse than Mixu end of.

Phil D. Rolls
20-03-2010, 01:14 PM
Is this a case of a big noise making a short term impact, only for it all to fall apart once the players see through him? Shades of Blackley here.

Craig_in_Prague
20-03-2010, 01:15 PM
Exactly where?

This is worse than Mixu end of.

I suppose our current league placing,

but other than that, I agree.

Season aint over though and we can easily finish 6th or worse at this rate.

He's had obviously a decent budget too, and still is failing.

What now though eh?

Pish.

Spineless bloody club footballing wise. Pathetic.

shamo9
20-03-2010, 01:20 PM
Is this a case of a big noise making a short term impact, only for it all to fall apart once the players see through him? Shades of Blackley here.

No, this is where the players show their true colours and are promptly booted out the revolving door for guys that are willing to live, breathe and die for the shirt.

cabbage07
20-03-2010, 01:22 PM
Tbh we are talking about the same things every week there has been only a handful of games this season which we have played well and that shows how bad it is ,if it wasnt for the qaulity of forwards we have got we would be in real bother.
Some folk say on here after today Yogi will know what he needs for the team i would be worried if its has took him so long .

Beefster
20-03-2010, 01:23 PM

The problem is that, as things stand, that's pretty much everyone except Murray and Stokes.

fatbloke
20-03-2010, 01:23 PM

Sadly and like some of the footballers I don't see any improvement soon.

Phil D. Rolls
20-03-2010, 01:24 PM
No, this is where the players show their true colours and are promptly booted out the revolving door for guys that are willing to live, breathe and die for the shirt.

I reckon we need a bit more height in the team, and a manager who doesn't get suckered with his tactics every week.

Where will you find these players who will live, breathe and die for the shirt?

Davy Mac
20-03-2010, 01:31 PM
I reckon we need a bit more height in the team, and a manager who doesn't get suckered with his tactics every week.

Thing is FR these nomark liths and whoevers wanted it far more than we did.

Over the years we've allowed these Hertz trumpets to believe they are better than us and there is an arrogance about them that we just don't have.

Apart from the 70's and briefly through the Sauzee era I've never been confident of beating them, they hate us more than we hate them and it shows.

shamo9
20-03-2010, 01:33 PM
Tbh we are talking about the same things every week there has been only a handful of games this season which we have played well and that shows how bad it is ,if it wasnt for the qaulity of forwards we have got we would be in real bother.
Some folk say on here after today Yogi will know what he needs for the team i would be worried if its has took him so long .

Nah, while the performances were poor we were showing a dogged resilience that hasn't been showcased in a Hibs' shirt for years. Yogi set the demands, he wanted that third place and the players have answered loud and clearly that they're happy with mediocrity. Now there's not a lot he can do until the summer except give Petrie his list and show the nonbelievers the door.

What we desperately need now is continuity at the club. We need someone to develop a worth ethic, an ideology right down to the juniors, a desire, passion and winning mentality.

Hughes can do that, he just needs time. Sacking him would be the absolute worst thing we could possibly do. It would set us back a year and ready us for another 'transitional season' as the new manager molds his new team again and again and again as we reenter the vicious cycle of thinking that some mythical figure will come in with a magic wand and make all our troubles disappear over night.

Franck is God
20-03-2010, 01:36 PM
we were doing fine today until Stack ******ed up, the back four was ok other than Murray losing every ball in the air but generally we didn't look in trouble at all. The second goal was scored so soon and again as a result of losing the first header then for some reason Stack being poorly positioned behind Glen, two mistakes two goals and that was the game over really.

We missed Nish a lot today in an attacking and a defensive sense today, until Benji came on the ball never stayed up front, Stokes is a great scorer but his hold up and linking play is very poor and cannot play up front without a partner. Riordan never got invloved in the play at all, his delivery from free kicks and corners was poor and was very lucky with his goal.

One problem we certainly have is the lack of confidence shown by the players coming into the side, none of them seemed to see it as a chance to take a claim for a place in the first team, they were all playing like they knew they'd be dropped again as soon as soon as the player they replaced was fit.

I have been moaning all season that players should be picked based on form rather than reputation and until Yogi does this things will not improve, picking a team and leaving players out is a hard job but that is what he is paid for, he has some very tough decisions to make coming up, from what I've seen in the last few games not many players should be comfortable about keeping their places.

fife hfc

Well it looks like the players have done this already. ****ing gutless barstewards every single effing one of them. All I look for is for 100% effort but the lazy c.u.n.t.s can not even do that. They are okay when we are winning but show a bit of fight and we are ****ed. No way on earth can we beat Ross County as they will fight for everything and our players will not for whatever reason.

Yogi has to take the blame also as his formations are not working. Get Riordan off the F.U.C.K.I.N.G win you big twat. everybody can see it is not working as he does not like it either. yogi needs to wake up as stokes has done hee haw and should be dropped as we need fighters at the moment rather than fancy dans poofters. Miller where the **** are you hiding work you lazy ********. i could go on and on. These players are gutless and basically don't have any balls for the fight.

I have been drinking and am raging so maybe a bit too much swearing and not much argument put forward:grr:

TheBall'sRound
It's not rocket science. We looked the better side when we kept it on the deck and looked like a junior side when we pumped it up the park. It's been the same since the Hamilton defeat at the start of the season.

Defeat hurts that bit more when you see players make the same awful decisions over and over again. It's naive and a bit embarrassing.

Oscar Lomax
20-03-2010, 01:39 PM
He has known all along he needs a centre half. That should have been his number one priority, not signing another goalie and powder puff midfielder.

Big Frank
20-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Two mistakes, two goals.

Now if Hibernian had scored first?

We'd have went on and pumped them.

They were well up for it today. They even brought wee fat robbo in this week. This game WAS their season:agree::agree:

Mostly, in Edinburgh derbies, one team needs it more than the other. That was the yams today.

They are a bunch of bawbags.

Franck is God
20-03-2010, 01:41 PM

Did you not see the teams when they came out the tunnel, height was not the issue today. Desire was the problem, they had it we didn't.

Having taller players in the team is not the answer.

Davy Mac
20-03-2010, 01:41 PM
Two mistakes, two goals.

They were well up for it today. They even brought wee fat robbo in this week. This game WAS their season:agree::agree:

Mostly, in Edinburgh derbies, one team needs it more than the other. That was the yams today.

Aye and there celebrations said it all.

DaveF
20-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Two mistakes, two goals.

Really? If only it were that easy!

Total bollocks if you ask me. Hibs should going out fired up to win every derby. Sadly, that's not been the case for years.

shamo9
20-03-2010, 01:43 PM
The problem is that, as things stand, that's pretty much everyone except Murray and Stokes.

Behave. Galbraith, Riordan, Smith, McBride, Hanlon, Wotherspoon and Miller can all cut it. They've not been perfect, granted, but I believe with a little help they can all deliver. Guys like McBride, Wotherspoon and Miller are being asked to do things they don't excel at because we just don't have anyone else up to it.

Once we get in a right-back, a physical midfielder and someone with a little pace we'll be on our way. The important thing to remember is we're not that far away from a team that can get third (we weren't too far from Rangers until February!)

Once we find these players, the focus will be on the mentality, right down to the under bloody 11s.

hibiedude
20-03-2010, 01:46 PM

I can't see how Yogi is going to change things around he needs to step back as a mate and start to be the manager.

I have seen it all before at Falkirk yogi wanting to be one of the boys and play the joker, he needs to get his act together or he will go the same way as Mixu.

Big Frank
20-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Really? If only it were that easy!

Total bollocks if you ask me. Hibs should going out fired up to win every derby. Sadly, that's not been the case for years.

Its no' bollox spamheid. The dreary gash spewed everyweek it doesnae go right for the cabbage on this board could be tho:yawn:

This derby hinged on the first goal today. Hertz are gash. They would have had their ugly hoardes on their backs and it would have been goodnight vienna.
They got the first.

Your second point stands, and is the quote of the day so far.

Alfred E Newman
20-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Did you not see the teams when they came out the tunnel, height was not the issue today. Desire was the problem, they had it we didn't.

Having taller players in the team is not the answer.

Having a tacticly astute manger in the dugout was the big issue today. The only positive is that it was only 2-1 and not the 5 or 6 that it should have been.

CiscoKid
20-03-2010, 02:08 PM
I think the players are good enough they just seem to lack the effort and work rate particularly when things go against them.

Riordan is probably the catalyst for the lack of effort, for all he brings in terms of skill and technique he just doesn't work hard enough and shows a complete lack of effort. I bet he probably thinks he got his goal and did his bit today but if you are in a team with him when the chips are down it must break your spirit watching him wandering about and rarely chasing back or closing anyone down. Stokes and Benji for all their qualities are both pretty greedy and to a lesser extent don't work hard enough either. I think Hughes need to tell these guys some home truths and get a better contribution or our season will soon be over.

Makaveli
20-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Hughes thinks he is a better manager than he is. I was pleased to see the line-up when I arrived today but couldn't believe how he had them set out.

What would have been wrong with a back four of
Wotherspoon, Bamba, Thicot, Murray
and a midfield of
Rankin, Miller, McBride, Stevenson?

Instead we had Thicot at right-back (for the second time in his life), Wotherspoon in midfield (for the first time in how many months?), Murray at centre-half (again, first time in ages) and Stevenson at left-back (so obviously does a better job in midfield)!

Why make so many needless positional changes? The players looked like they didn't know where they were supposed to be; no f..kn wonder. :grr:

Tactical ineptitude aside, and ignoring the continued selection of Stack which can only be an in-joke, the players aren't playing for him or each other. That's the real worry IMO.

Franck is God
20-03-2010, 02:22 PM
I think the players are good enough they just seem to lack the effort and work rate particularly when things go against them.

Riordan is probably the catalyst for the lack of effort, for all he brings in terms of skill and technique he just doesn't work hard enough and shows a complete lack of effort. I bet he probably thinks he got his goal and did his bit today but if you are in a team with him when the chips are down it must break your spirit watching him wandering about and rarely chasing back or closing anyone down. Stokes and Benji for all their qualities are both pretty greedy and to a lesser extent don't work hard enough either. I think Hughes need to tell these guys some home truths and get a better contribution or our season will soon be over.

I've been saying for the majority of the season that there are too many players that are not concerned about losing their place in the team. Derek Riordan getting picked every week must be hugely disheartening for any player sitting on the bench.

I can apreciate how technically gifted he is but when a player can drift through games showing no effort or commitment what encouragement does that give to those waiting for their chance?

CiscoKid
20-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I've been saying for the majority of the season that there are too many players that are not concerned about losing their place in the team. Derek Riordan getting picked every week must be hugely disheartening for any player sitting on the bench.

I can apreciate how technically gifted he is but when a player can drift through games showing no effort or commitment what encouragement does that give to those waiting for their chance?

Time to drop him until he realises that it takes effort and team work to be a top player.

Beefster
20-03-2010, 02:52 PM

Miller's another one who needs a spell on the bench. He's been rotten for a couple of months.

GreenBlade
20-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Aye and there celebrations said it all.

Oh aye? So we'd have quietly walked back up the road with 3 points in our hip pocket. They celebrated because they WANTED it more than us.

GreenBlade
20-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Its no' bollox spamheid. The dreary gash spewed everyweek it doesnae go right for the cabbage on this board could be tho:yawn:

This derby hinged on the first goal today. Hertz are gash. They would have had their ugly hoardes on their backs and it would have been goodnight vienna.
They got the first.

Your second point stands, and is the quote of the day so far.

And your's is the worst! Just think if we'd scored more goals than them we'd have won! :rolleyes:

murray26
20-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Yogi has lost it big time, if our season fades away now it will be a total failure of massive preportions, on a side note why have we got 5 goalkeepers and why is Stack 1st choice, baffling.

blackhibee
20-03-2010, 03:16 PM
First of all IMO Hearts, sadly, thoroughly deserved the win today (without stating the obvious again), but in a way I do feel sorry for Yogi. All this stand up and be counted stuff that we have been hearing from him in interviews in the last few weeks seems to sound quite hollow at the moment, because there were a lot of players out there today who just didn't seem to be that bothered about the significance of the game, and I just don't accept that this team don't have the quality to beat a pretty poor Hearts side. The same criticisms levelled at Mixu are starting to surface again in terms of motivational and tactical skills. It's a difficult problem to solve in many ways, he brought in Stokes, who has scored lots of goals, Miller, who for quite a while was one of our best players, Wotherspoon's a great prospect even if he looks a bit jaded recently but was a good player for us for the first half of the season, and although the defence at times looks very shaky, for quite a while we had conceded less goals than all the other teams in the SPL bar Rangers. I do think the cup replay is a crucial game now (it already was obviously), because sadly if we go out on Tuesday our league form is, at the moment, pointing firmly towards 6th place or worse, with a worrying lack of morale. I truly hope I'm wrong about this though.

Big Frank
20-03-2010, 03:17 PM
And your's is the worst! Just think if we'd scored more goals than them we'd have won! :rolleyes:

Dry yer eyes FFS.

If we'd scored FIRST!!!

Read the posts ya welt

IberianHibernian
20-03-2010, 03:18 PM
What we need is someone like Yogi ON the pitch . We haven`t had a decent captain since Sauzee - Hogg and Murray are reasonable players nothing more but aren`t good enough players or leaders to be captain . Then we have a completely unbalanced squad - 4 goalies when we only need 2 and 2 or 3 skilful but lazy forwards while we are weak in defence and midfield . Signing policy seems to have been sign anyone available whether they`ll strengthen squad or not . Don`t think a managerial change would achieve anything though - until we get a few more good young players ( Wotherspoon only new one this season ) or get lucky with signings in summer can`t see us getting much better in performances and it`ll be almost impossible to repeat 2009 results with current squad .

truehibernian
20-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Hearts were heads, shoulders (literally), ankles, feet, stomachs, all body parts above Hibs today. As have been St Johnstone, Killie, Motherwell, Rangers, Utd. The team, under Yogi, is just far far too nice.......they expect to be able to play this "passing game" that he much lauds. It's utter utter rubbish to keep coming out with it, when you just know that opponents are going to be physical and chase down every single ball and make every tackle. For those that said Hibs were fine before they scored.......what game were you watching ! We could barely keep the ball and they looked hungry for every scrap. They scored........zero characters, zero leaders, zero passion ! All I saw were heads dropping, moans directed at each other, hands in the air...............spoilt children ! And let's face it, at present, that's what they are..............spoilt kids who don't deserve to pull on the jersey (bar a couple). Yogi is also a mirror image of Mixu, in that he gets so wrapped up in the game, he forgets tactics and formations, and more importantly, making substitutions. One substitution for a whole 90 minutes when we are 2-0 down and under the cosh. That was Perth all over again.............the team are a crumpled pack of cards at present.Well played Hearts though...........Jumbo did what others have done so well recently............bullied (fairly) and worked their socks off to stop Hibs playing. That could have been an utter embarrassment and a game on the DVD shelves in their horrible little stadium shop. Bunch of primadonnas with no heart our mob. Bet they are out drinking tonight though like the true professionals they are. Gutless from team to management. Interesting to see people not lynching Stack as they would Maka, but hey, Stevenson gets utter pelters.............he saved three goals going in FFS. And that was an under strength Hearts side remember. Enough joking and hilarity at East Mains Yogi, and get them in for full days, working on fitness (they look spent after 60 minutes these days), desire and hunger. It's not the youngsters who need extra sessions, but Derek, Stokes, Miller, Bamba, etc. That will soon separate the wheat from the chaff, and maybe mean some are too knackered to go out on the bevvy too.

judas
20-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Believe in Yogi at your peril.

Hibs On Tour
20-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Thing that worries me is that Yogi has been banging on about spirit and wanting it and playing for the shirt etc for months now publicly. You have to assume he's also doing this behind closed doors too. Why then have the team seemingly not got the message?

FWIW I still think Yogi can turn it round - this isn't a titanic-size crisis, its a ****ing bad run of form throughout pretty much all the team and added to this because of it they have absolutely no confidence - no need to blow it up into a 'sack the manager' or 'the seasons over' nonsense but do think that today should hopefully have finalised certain things in Yogi's head about which players should be getting their jotters come the end of the season...

We all know we need a RB, CH and tough midfielder - sure Yogi is aware of it too - move some out and get them in and we won't be that far away. 3rd is there to be taken in the meantime and we're still in with a shout of the Scottish [yes I know not if we play like that!] which at the start of the season ALL of us would have taken like a shot...

truehibernian
20-03-2010, 06:21 PM
He can bang on about it all he likes, its fast becoming boring rhetoric. There has been precious little spirit or passion since Perth. Yogi is as to blame for this form as the players are. Cannot wait until he takes a seat high up in the stand and sees what we see these last few weeks. No width, no pace, no desire, players taking an age to take a throw or free kick, no leaders, players moaning and not getting the head down and getting on with the game, players out of position.........commonly known as the basics ! Once he sorts that, we shall see.............that's all that Hearts did today........got the basics right and played at a high tempo. We are lazy and soft.

mcfly
20-03-2010, 07:09 PM
the fault with today lies solely with the manager.....he picks the team, motivates the team and they wernt up for it. they let the fans down again and all the fancy football before xmas will count for hee haw if yogi doesnt pick the correct team for tuesday.

where was miller, mcbride - posted missing.

people slag off stokes, what service did he get......nowt

ian murry said the fans were out of order for booing last week...well where was the reaction Ian. you and your teammates let us down again today. it was a gutless, spineless, pitiful performance.

now getting back to yogi, why alan gow, why mark brown.......waste of wages.

why no right back, why no dominant midfielder.

season ticket renewals out this week as well. after that cannae see a big rush