PDA

View Full Version : Question Was Big Tam Connery a boyhood Hibby

Stanton
18-03-2010, 11:13 PM
or am I misinformed :confused:

I know he supports anyone now ...most recently the Huns with the Septic before that .....however ...was he once a Hibby ?

jakki
18-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Are you meaning Sean Connery?:confused:

Stanton
18-03-2010, 11:21 PM
The Very Shame .....real name Thomas ....aka Big Tam

joe breezy
18-03-2010, 11:21 PM

His real name is Tam and he's never said he was ever a Hibs fan as far as I know

RigRoars
18-03-2010, 11:22 PM
Double0-7

Stanton
18-03-2010, 11:27 PM
Double0-7

:thumbsup:

I thought he was a Yam as a lad .:jamboak:..but a mate said he was a Hibby :top marks

Not sure :confused:

monktonharp
19-03-2010, 12:52 AM
nah,he's a humn or a 'tic,whoever is top that season:yawn:

Diclonius
19-03-2010, 01:29 AM
He was born in Fountainbridge, which is nearer to Tynecastle.

That said, I'm Longstone-born.

vahibbie
19-03-2010, 04:49 AM
It's a sheecret Mish Moneypenny:devil:

Dashing Bob S
19-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Heard it shed Shir Sean follows Hearts, then was taken to Sheltic by an uncle, then to Dunfermline by another relative, now cosying up to Murray at the Huns. Seems to be an anybody-but-Hibs sort. Whatever his other qualities, football-wise he appears a glory-hunting tosspot of little substance and we can be blessed that we seem to be about the only colours this soccer slut hasn't nailed his mast to, if you'll pardon the suggestive mixed metaphor.

johnrebus
19-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Talking of glory hunting tosspots..........,

Rod Stewart's latest bairn was baptised in a Leith church as a tribute to his late father who came from the sunshine.

His allegiance to the plastics has always given me the dry boak. :grr:

Billy Connolly is another one. On the way up he was a Partick Thistle fan.......,

And as for Bono and Jim Kerr

:rolleyes:

Jack
19-03-2010, 09:08 AM
From what I’ve heard he was always too in love with himself to have time for anything else.

And TBH would you want someone like him associated with Hibs?

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2010, 09:10 AM
No.

khib70
19-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Don't think he had much time available to watch football, since he apparently delivered the milk to every household in Edinburgh:greengrin

hibbymac
19-03-2010, 09:54 AM
Heard it shed Shir Sean follows Hearts, then was taken to Sheltic by an uncle, then to Dunfermline by another relative, now cosying up to Murray at the Huns. Seems to be an anybody-but-Hibs sort. Whatever his other qualities, football-wise he appears a glory-hunting tosspot of little substance and we can be blessed that we seem to be about the only colours this soccer slut hasn't nailed his mast to, if you'll pardon the suggestive mixed metaphor.

Just wait till he needs his exhaust fixed, .... he'll come running to Easter Road. :agree:

Hakim Sar
19-03-2010, 09:55 AM
my old man was born in fountainbridge and was ages with sean's brother who was the nicer of the 2. my understanding was the brother was a bit of a hibby because his pals were and sean was a bit of a jambo.

but as a teenager sean got into bodybuilding a bit more and then moved away

Moody Mulder
19-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Gloryhunter

Hakim Sar
19-03-2010, 10:13 AM
does anyone want me to start ''the official i hate sean connery thread''?

it's my speciality

Hibernia Na Eir
19-03-2010, 10:43 AM
was he not a Meadowbank Thistle fan ?

McIntosh
19-03-2010, 10:55 AM
In the early 1980s his nephew a lawyer tried to buy the club and failed, a few years later he was jailed for fraud. Funny how in the 1980s we seemed to attract crooked lawyers!!!!

emmjayfox
19-03-2010, 11:56 AM
most of his relatives are hibs season ticket holders :thumbsup:

jacomo
19-03-2010, 12:15 PM
Talking of glory hunting tosspots..........,

Rod Stewart's latest bairn was baptised in a Leith church as a tribute to his late father who came from the sunshine.

His allegiance to the plastics has always given me the dry boak. :grr:

Billy Connolly is another one. On the way up he was a Partick Thistle fan.......,

And as for Bono and Jim Kerr

:rolleyes:

I've never heard Bono say anything about football, and isn't Jim Kerr from the weege anyhow?

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2010, 12:17 PM
From what I’ve heard he was always too in love with himself to have time for anything else.

And TBH would you want someone like him associated with Hibs?

That's the impression I get as well.

blackhibee
19-03-2010, 03:03 PM
My dad was brought up in the same street as the Connery's, Grove street. His brother is the spitting image of Sean, and I thought HIS name was Tam. I'm pretty sure he is a hibby as well.

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2010, 03:18 PM
My dad was brought up in the same street as the Connery's, Grove street. His brother is the spitting image of Sean, and I thought HIS name was Tam. I'm pretty sure he is a hibby as well.

Yes, his name's Neil, IIRC he lives in Corstorphine now, and has made a life out of being Sean Connery's brother. I don't think that leaves much time for supporting a team.

Speedway
19-03-2010, 03:46 PM
:agree: He was in the East for the last game with some burd.

Turned to her at one point and said 'That Nish is Pish, Mish Moneypenny'

Hakim Sar
19-03-2010, 04:10 PM

same mate - upper grove place is where they all used to hang about!!!

what age yer old man?

LHWM
19-03-2010, 04:38 PM
I have no idea about His alegencies but one night in the Golden Rule there was an old Gent "in his cups" who was pontificating about 'Snotty Nosed Tam' that's what we called him 'Snotty Nosed Tam'. This was on his ability to 'sook greasers around in a vicous circle from his nose to his mooth'.

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2010, 05:22 PM
I have no idea about His alegencies but one night in the Golden Rule there was an old Gent "in his cups" who was pontificating about 'Snotty Nosed Tam' that's what we called him 'Snotty Nosed Tam'. This was on his ability to 'sook greasers around in a vicous circle from his nose to his mooth'.

Sounds like typical Scottish "ah kent yer faither" stuff. I recall reading an article in the EEN where some old dear was complimenting their mother on how well the lads were turned out, always immaculate.

blackhibee
19-03-2010, 06:46 PM
same mate - upper grove place is where they all used to hang about!!!

what age yer old man?

He would be 90 if he was alive today. Lived at the other end of the street. Did the Connery's live opposite what's now Marco's Leisure centre? Not lived in Edinburgh for over 20 years now, but I'd be interested to know.

dawn
19-03-2010, 06:53 PM
He would be 90 if he was alive today. Lived at the other end of the street. Did the Connery's live opposite what's now Marco's Leisure centre? Not lived in Edinburgh for over 20 years now, but I'd be interested to know.

From memory I think the Connery's live in one of the stairs around the Grove House!
Marco's used to be Martin's the Bakers!:drool:

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2010, 08:26 PM
From memory I think the Connery's live in one of the stairs around the Grove House!
Marco's used to be Martin's the Bakers!:drool:

Before the brewery was demolished there was a plaque on the wall on the north side of Fountainbridge saying that Sean was born in houses which had stood there. Ironically, the house was demolished so that the brewery could be built!

One Day Soon
19-03-2010, 08:29 PM

Indeed and in so many ways.

However he was always more interested in doing rather than watching. Not a bad player I believe, though he did get more seriously into the body building courtesy of my two uncles - one of who also got him into golf. Never a Hibs supporter though.

PatHead
19-03-2010, 08:52 PM
Before the brewery was demolished there was a plaque on the wall on the north side of Fountainbridge saying that Sean was born in houses which had stood there. Ironically, the house was demolished so that the brewery could be built!

Marcos isn't there now..........student flats

Hermit Crab
19-03-2010, 09:07 PM
Don't think he had much time available to watch football, since he apparently delivered the milk to every household in Edinburgh:greengrin

:faf::faf::top marks

The Harp
19-03-2010, 09:28 PM

No. The Connery's lived on Fountainbridge. Their stair was round the corner from Grove Street approx 50 yards heading west.
I lived on Grove Street from '54 -'71, opposite Martins, the bakers which later became Marco's. Very handy for the Palais - dancing that is, no' the Bingo!!! :bitchy:
Sean (Tam) was never a Hibee! His brother, Neil, tried to get into acting on the strength of Sean's reputation. Never really succeeded. He did appear in Drambuie ads went I worked in advertising tho.

dawn
19-03-2010, 10:06 PM
No. The Connery's lived on Fountainbridge. Their stair was round the corner from Grove Street approx 50 yards heading west.
I lived on Grove Street from '54 -'71, opposite Martins, the bakers which later became Marco's. Very handy for the Palais - dancing that is, no' the Bingo!!! :bitchy:
Sean (Tam) was never a Hibee! His brother, Neil, tried to get into acting on the strength of Sean's reputation. Never really succeeded. He did appear in Drambuie ads went I worked in advertising tho.

Aye now thats jogged the auld memory, the "Pends" where on the opposite side!
My Mums family moved to Upper Grove Place when she was in her early teens, you must be ancient Mr Harp!:greengrin

The Harp
19-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Aye now thats jogged the auld memory, the "Pends" where on the opposite side!
My Mums family moved to Upper Grove Place when she was in her early teens, you must be ancient Mr Harp!:greengrin

Hey, watch it you! As the auld saying goes ... the older the fiddle the sweeter the tune. :wink:

dawn
19-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Hey, watch it you! As the auld saying goes ... the older the fiddle the sweeter the tune. :wink:

Too True:thumbsup:

Must say, having spent much of my childhood in the area, I don't recall us Hibbys being hugely outnumbered by Jambos!

The Harp
19-03-2010, 10:42 PM
Too True:thumbsup:

Must say, having spent much of my childhood in the area, I don't recall us Hibbys being hugely outnumbered by Jambos!

I'd agree with that. Can remember a few Yams in the area but they never went to many games.
Mind you, I lived in Wardlaw Place (shock! horror!) even further back than my Grove Street years, and most o' my wee pals at St Cuthbert's school were all Hibees. :thumbsup:

Nakedmanoncrack
20-03-2010, 12:10 AM
Who gives a flying toss?

majorhibs
20-03-2010, 12:17 AM
Yes, his name's Neil, IIRC he lives in Corstorphine now, and has made a life out of being Sean Connery's brother. I don't think that leaves much time for supporting a team.

Really a bit o nonsense there FR, remember him in the 70's doing the upstairs conversion on our hoose, he was a ringer for his brother & had appeared in some movie with him that bombed, but the 2 windaes, stairs & dividing wall he put in meant for the next 13 years I had a cracking upstairs room giving us all some space, the job was more than better done, mind I was too young then to find out what his allegiances were, but as a roofer/joiner who did a job on our house he was a good operator, whatever your grievance wi him the guy did his bit on his own.

HibbiesandtheBaddies
20-03-2010, 12:26 AM

My Auld Dear once danced wi Sean Canary at the Palais

:greengrin

son of haggart
20-03-2010, 12:31 AM

Yep, my granny lived in Lochrin Terrace and used to sit with effie connery in the seats outside the cafe in Goldbergs and at the bowls and I used to play at their feet. My gran's son (my uncle) was brought up in Lochrin Terrace and was ages with Tam Connery. My uncle was season ticket holder at easter road before he went off to NZ - I spoke to him a fair bit ( banter re Hearts and Hibs) and I think he would have probably 'claimed' James Bond as a Hibs fan in a humorous way, had there been anything there.

Patatango
20-03-2010, 02:16 AM
Really a bit o nonsense there FR, remember him in the 70's doing the upstairs conversion on our hoose, he was a ringer for his brother & had appeared in some movie with him that bombed, but the 2 windaes, stairs & dividing wall he put in meant for the next 13 years I had a cracking upstairs room giving us all some space, the job was more than better done, mind I was too young then to find out what his allegiances were, but as a roofer/joiner who did a job on our house he was a good operator, whatever your grievance wi him the guy did his bit on his own.

:top marks
That's got to be one of the best posts ever.

The Harp
20-03-2010, 07:38 AM
[QUOTE=HibbiesandtheBaddies;2393827]My Auld Dear once danced wi Sean Canary at the Palais

Nice one!
My wife's cousin was grabbed by him and was about to have a snooker ball shoved into his face before the confrontation was broken up. That was in the snooker hall next door to the Palais, many years ago. He still talks aboot it (the cousin that is, no' big Tam :wink:). Reckons he would have 'sorted him oot' if it had continued. :hilarious

cad
20-03-2010, 08:33 AM

Correct 003 and1/2 , or Tam Bond as he was known supported The Glorious ,think he was a joiner or a plasterer

Phil D. Rolls
20-03-2010, 10:19 AM

How you doing MH?

I've no grievance with the guy at all. By all accounts he's a bit of character, he used to drink in Champagne Charlies in the early 80s and the bar staff there said he traded on his brother's name.

I also used to work with his next door neighbour, who described him as a "bit of a spacer". One night her old man invited him through for a game of snooker. Neil showed up two hours late, in full snooker attire.

A polisman told me once that he'd stopped him for urinating in St. John's road, and he acted the big time Charlie (he had his hair in a pony tail as Sean's current hit was Medicine Man.

The film that bombed was a James Bond spoof. You can see where I'm coming from. He seems to be one of life's eccentrics, but that's not a bad thing.

:top marks
That's got to be one of the best posts ever.

Thanks for that Neil. :greengrin:

Stanton
20-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Who gives a flying toss?

Eh .....obviously not you :greengrin