PDA

View Full Version : Lawrie Reilly - When did he first play against Jimmy Wardhaugh?

LHWM
18-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I was talking to Lawrie at the Willie Bauld dinner a couple of weeks ago. He was very interesting and charming to talk to and in very good health. When talking about the FF and TT. He asked if I knew when He first played against Jimmy Wardhaugh. I had to confess I didn't know. He then said it was at School, LR was at Boroughmuir and JW Holycross and they were playing cricket.

Some photos.

http://www.londonhearts.com/gall2010/20100306wb2/content/bin/images/large/IMG_0006.jpg

http://www.londonhearts.com/gall2010/20100306wb2/content/bin/images/large/IMG_2126.jpg

More here (http://www.londonhearts.com/gall2010/20100306wb2/content/index.html)

hibbybrian
18-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Any chance of you providing the names for the full squad picture D.

Looks like it could be big A.A in the front centre and Tommy Preston behind Lawrie. Other than that it looks like someone has told Foulksey that it's an open bar :greengrin

CropleyWasGod
18-03-2010, 01:57 PM
Dave Clunie to the left of Tam Preston.

Is that really Alan Anderson?

Hamish
18-03-2010, 03:46 PM
I'd be surprised if that's Alan Anderson. Davie Clunie looks about 35!!!

LHWM
18-03-2010, 05:49 PM
http://www.londonhearts.com/gall2010/20100306wb2/content/bin/images/large/IMG_2125.jpg

Gary Locke, John Rowbotham, Alan Archibald, John McKelvie, Lord George Foulkes, Roy Kay, Eamonn Bannon, Jim Brown, Pilmar Smith, Billy McAlpine, Davie Clunie, Tom Preston, Freddie Glidden, Robert Bauld Jnr.,

Walter Borthwick, Gordon Marshall Snr, Bobby Ross, Davie Holt, Alan Anderson, Jimmy Murray, Lawrie Reilly and Robert Bauld Snr.

superfurryhibby
19-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Freddie Glidden, ex heartys captain used to run the post office in Grove St when I was a laddie. He was a right grumpy auld git and would come round the counter with a large stick when there was any Hibs banter, namely along the lines of 7-0 and FReddy whats the score.. I suppose I didnae ken who he was , other than everyone ijn Fountainbridge knew he was a Jambo leg-end.

By contrast Lawrie Reilly was a friendly guy and always had time for a wee word with the laddies when I resided right opposite the Bowlers Rest, in Elbe St. Gie the ba tae Reilly!

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2010, 04:16 PM
Freddie Glidden, ex heartys captain used to run the post office in Grove St when I was a laddie. He was a right grumpy auld git and would come round the counter with a large stick when there was any Hibs banter, namely along the lines of 7-0 and FReddy whats the score.. I suppose I didnae ken who he was , other than everyone ijn Fountainbridge knew he was a Jambo leg-end.

By contrast Lawrie Reilly was a friendly guy and always had time for a wee word with the laddies when I resided right opposite the Bowlers Rest, in Elbe St. Gie the ba tae Reilly!

I'll keep the ball rolling here, Bobby Parker used to run the newsagents in the bus station, and he was miserable sod as well. Gave me change of 10 bob once when I'd handed him a pound.

RoxburghHibs
19-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Who the heck is Jimmy Wardhaugh - never heard of him before?

:dunno:

WindyMiller
19-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Who the heck is Jimmy Wardhaugh - never heard of him before?

:dunno:

Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh were their "Terrible Trio". Jambo's all-time top scorer IIRC, and his daughter was in my class at school.

He became a sports journalist in the 60's, and then IIRC think they immigrated to Australia.

RoxburghHibs
19-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Conn, Bauld and Wardhaugh were their "Terrible Trio". Jambo's all-time top scorer IIRC, and his daughter was in my class at school.

He became a sports journalist in the 60's, and then IIRC think they immigrated to Australia.

Ok fair enough

thanks

Dashing Bob S
19-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Wardhaugh was the one Terrible Trio member who supported Hibs as a boy, Gordon Smith the one FF member who supported Los Yambolinos as a boy.

clerriehibs
19-03-2010, 11:00 PM
Why does fat foulkes have to get his ugly, guilty as charged mug in the same pictures as decent, honest fans' heroes footballers.

The git makes me sick.