PDA

View Full Version : Matty you're a legend, but Sol what are you on?

Mag7
18-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Check out the two interviews in today's Evening News with Mathias Jack and Sol Bamba:

http://edinburghnews.scotsman.com/latestsport

Great stuff from Matty but I just don't get this constant bigging himself up from Sol. Arsenal and Liverpool interested in him? Granted he can be a good player when he puts his mind to it but a move like that just ain't gonna happen for him. And in light of his recent displays for Hibs he's lucky if he gets his starting place back on Saturday.

Peevemor
18-03-2010, 11:59 AM
He's going to the pub at lunchtime? I wonder if they'll sell Matty Jack rolls?

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Check out the two interviews in today's Evening News with Mathias Jack and Sol Bamba:

Great stuff from Matty but I just don't get this constant bigging himself up from Sol. Arsenal and Liverpool interested in him? Granted he can be a good player when he puts his mind to it but a move like that just ain't gonna happen for him. And in light of his recent displays for Hibs he's lucky if he gets his starting place back on Saturday.

I have read the interview, and i presume you did too. Can you point me in the direction of were Sol says Liverpool and Arsenal are after him?:confused:

talking_wiss
18-03-2010, 12:43 PM

:brickwall

Sol Bamba "I want to see how far I can go" - Hardly bigging himself up! Would be a tad concerning if he said I'm off to the world cup in my mid-20's and I don't forsee myself making the next step up in my club career!

Mag7
18-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I have read the interview, and i presume you did too. Can you point me in the direction of were Sol says Liverpool and Arsenal are after him?:confused:

You're right, he doesn't actually state that although he has in the past talked up a move to Liverpool:

http://fourfourtwo.com/news/england/35469/default.aspx

I know there can be a bit of spin put on these sort of articles, but it just seems to me he has regularly talked about how he's planning on moving to the next level when IMHO he hasn't really proved himself fully at the level he's at.

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2010, 12:51 PM
You're right, he doesn't actually state that although he has in the past talked up a move to Liverpool:

I know there can be a bit of spin put on these sort of articles, but it just seems to me he has regularly talked about how he's planning on moving to the next level when IMHO he hasn't really proved himself fully at the level he's at.

You know, i know, we all know Sol wont be at hibs next season. He will make the club good money, he has played way better than most of us thought, when he signed for us. He wants to step up, he has the ability, and he's asked questions on that. He gives an honest answer. Would we prefer the Ian Murray answer, or the truthful one like Sol?

talking_wiss
18-03-2010, 12:52 PM

Last season I felt he was our player of the year playing in a rather unfamiliar defensive midfielder role (thought half the time he was our main supply line!). For the first half of this season I felt he was our best player playing in his usual Centre half role. Since he has returned from the AN Cup he has been poor as has hibs as a whole but I think it's safe to say given the bulk of his form over almost two years and his international career he can comfortably play at the SPL level.

If Bamba hasn't proved himself at this level then barely any Hibs players are SPL level given the way they are currently playing.

Mag7
18-03-2010, 01:00 PM
You know, i know, we all know Sol wont be at hibs next season. He will make the club good money, he has played way better than most of us thought, when he signed for us. He wants to step up, he has the ability, and he's asked questions on that. He gives an honest answer. Would we prefer the Ian Murray answer, or the truthful one like Sol?

Without doubt I prefer the truthful Sol answer. It's not that I have a problem with a player speaking honestly, it's more that I think it's a strange time for this sort of stuff to be aired when I'd prefer he was more focused on regaining the form he's capable of.

Hibbie_Cameron
18-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Great to read that from Matty Jack, i thought he was great for hibs :agree:

Vince White
18-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Last season I felt he was our player of the year playing in a rather unfamiliar defensive midfielder role (thought half the time he was our main supply line!). For the first half of this season I felt he was our best player playing in his usual Centre half role. Since he has returned from the AN Cup he has been poor as has hibs as a whole but I think it's safe to say given the bulk of his form over almost two years and his international career he can comfortably play at the SPL level.

If Bamba hasn't proved himself at this level then barely any Hibs players are SPL level given the way they are currently playing.

How good a level is that these days though? Some of stuff we're watching at present is seriously sub-standard and I don't just mean Hibs. I think Bamba has a way to go if he's going to get a really big move. Otherwise the best he can hope for is a Caldwell-style move to the likes of Wigan.

In saying that, Sol Campbell is getting an occasional game for Arsenal and he's way off the pace these days.

talking_wiss
18-03-2010, 01:15 PM
How good a level is that these days though? Some of stuff we're watching at present is seriously sub-standard and I don't just mean Hibs. I think Bamba has a way to go if he's going to get a really big move. Otherwise the best he can hope for is a Caldwell-style move to the likes of Wigan.

In saying that, Sol Campbell is getting an occasional game for Arsenal and he's way off the pace these days.

From what I've seen this season the SPL is pretty poor and worryingly getting worse. I guess we'll only know how far Bamba can make it when he does finally leave Hibs and potentially go down south. Imagine Sol and Sol at the back for the gooners!!!

MussyHibby
18-03-2010, 01:19 PM
'Hibs have been good for me and I want to pay them back by earning them a lot of money from a transfer. I've worked hard to get here, now I want to see where I can go'...........

don't see anything wrong with that. The usual with Sol though, a couple of thoughts and the opinions grow arms and legs, i.e his form, so exagerrated on the downside!:agree:

hfc rd
18-03-2010, 01:23 PM
Brillaint to hear from Matty Jack. Would like to have a player like him in our current team.

NOLA
18-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Brillaint to hear from Matty Jack. Would like to have a player like him in our current team.

one of my favourites:agree: not very good when he first arrived and played at the back, but after moving into midfield he was invaluable for us, a good laugh up the town as well, always bumping into him in 1 bar or another.

Hainan Hibs
18-03-2010, 01:49 PM
Enjoyed the Jack interview so much I'm almost considering a flight to Dusseldorf:greengrin What a team and memories:boo hoo:

Sol will move on to bigger things but on recent form he has to buck up his ideas.

Oscar Lomax
18-03-2010, 01:53 PM
Liverpool and Arsenal????:confused::confused:.....is this a joke?
Maybe they have ladies teams but I would bet one million green queens, if I was a gambling man, that Bamba will be very very lucky to get a championship club. This guy is on something. Just because he is fortunate to play in an International team full off stars he thinks he is on a par with them?????
Come down from the clouds Sol son and start concentrating on making the grade at Hibs, something in my opinion, you have failed to so.....

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
18-03-2010, 02:22 PM
His best position is midfield. I'd drop McBride and put Bamba in there, stronger, faster and no less a footballer.

As far as the EPL goes, who knows. DLC went to the 02 world cup and came back an Aston Villa player so who knows.

Judas Iscariot
18-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Maybe they have ladies teams but I would bet one million green queens, if I was a gambling man, that Bamba will be very very lucky to get a championship club. This guy is on something. Just because he is fortunate to play in an International team full off stars he thinks he is on a par with them?????
Come down from the clouds Sol son and start concentrating on making the grade at Hibs, something in my opinion, you have failed to so.....

:yawn:

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2010, 02:30 PM

Pish on so many levels.

Oscar Lomax
18-03-2010, 03:12 PM
Pish on so many levels.

Its quite obvious you don't wantch the guy play every week or view players through green tinted spectacles.
Why is it pish? Reason's please.

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Its quite obvious you don't wantch the guy play every week or view players through green tinted spectacles.
Why is it pish? Reason's please.
Bamba has not said a word about being on a par with anyone? or mentioned any team he might join.
And as for not making the grade at hibs, :faf:
As i said, pish pish and mair pish.

Oscar Lomax
18-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Bamba has not said a word about being on a par with anyone? or mentioned any team he might join.
And as for not making the grade at hibs, :faf:
As i said, pish pish and mair pish.

You are entiltled to your opinion like everyone else. For me personally, he is not a footballer. I would rather Hibs sell him to the highest bidder, 700k - 1m if lucky and replace him with a solid centre back who does not want to dribble his way out off trouble, is good in the air and can clear his lines, all off which are lacking in premiership bound Bamba's game.

Wotherspiniesta
18-03-2010, 06:29 PM
I would bet one million green queens, if I was a gambling man, that Bamba will be very very lucky to get a championship club.

You're on :cool2:

hibee
18-03-2010, 06:32 PM
You are entiltled to your opinion like everyone else. For me personally, he is not a footballer. I would rather Hibs sell him to the highest bidder, 700k - 1m if lucky and replace him with a solid centre back who does not want to dribble his way out off trouble, is good in the air and can clear his lines, all off which are lacking in premiership bound Bamba's game.

I'd take £1m for him now, Hanlon is a far better central defender than Bamba, would like to see Bamba get a run in midfield though.

KWJ
18-03-2010, 07:35 PM
yip great to hear from Matty and even better to hear him talking about the hibs so passionately, get him on the park!

Met him at the pie queue at the Gala Fairydean friendly with GOC's 4.

Beefster
19-03-2010, 12:34 PM

Considering that the only players I can ever recall you praising are Lee Miller and Michael Stewart (have they anything in common?), for me personally, you talk utter pish and wouldn't know a footballer if he tickled your nose.

You should try praising a Hibs player. It's what we do from time to time.

Phil D. Rolls
19-03-2010, 12:37 PM
I've always wondered, and now feel brave enough to ask, what exactly does Matty Jack have on his roll???? :confused:

Sproston Green
19-03-2010, 01:36 PM

Youre a belter eh!

Not a footballer? He may not be perfect, but he has so many of the attributes required at the top level of modern football (pace, athleticism, strong, decent on the ball, decent in the air, a very good tackler and perhaps most importantly, he has shown an ability to learn and move up a level since joining Hibs), he could easily play in the EPL, and has been one of our stand outs this season.

Hanlon is promising, but he cant do lots of what Bamba can do, and probably never will.