PDA

View Full Version : Would you prefer all weekend games to kick off at 3pm on a Saturday?

Vince White
17-03-2010, 08:50 PM
I grew up in a time when, bar midweek games, all football matches in the UK kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday and the only live TV game shown in a season was the Scottish Cup final (ditto in England with the FA Cup). Sportscene on a Saturday night and Scotsport on a Sunday gave you highlights of one Scottish game and one English game and back then nobody thought that was inadequate coverage. It wasn't really that long ago, but probably long enough ago for many younger members on here not to remember it. I'm probably seen as an old bore by most but back then the whole experience of everyone going to the football at the same time seemed to make it more of an occasion. Now the timing of games is all over the place and I think it dilutes the experience. How many Edinburgh derbies in the last 10 years have kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday just out of interest?

IMHO, since TV started to dictate kick-off times the game in Scotland has actually declined rather than improved, yet clubs are now hugely dependent on TV money. I sometimes wonder if the game here would have been better off without the arrival of Sky.

Thoughts?

Ryan91
17-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Defo a return to 3 o'clock kick offs, i'm gonna have to be up at the crack o' dawn on saturday in order to get down to the Roseburn so that i can actually get in.

Danderhall Hibs
17-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Defo a return to 3 o'clock kick offs, i'm gonna have to be up at the crack o' dawn on saturday in order to get down to the Roseburn so that i can actually get in.

I don't mind a Saturday early or late kick-off. I would enjoy a Friday night fixture as well. It's Sunday fixtures I don't like - I can't be arsed doing anything on a Sunday and the atmosphere always seems to be worse.

bobbyhibs1983
17-03-2010, 09:06 PM
I prefer a 3pm kick of as well,What i dont understand and i ve asked before but why do tv games have to be different to 3pm games?

maybe im being stupid but is there a reason?I dunno anyone who has would have a st at er would say no im not going today cos im wathcing the game on tv

Alfred E Newman
17-03-2010, 09:19 PM
As well as kicking off at 3pm I also would also advocate a return to 10mins half time and a 4-40pm finish.

Hainan Hibs
17-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd like a return to 3pm Saturday kick offs.

Also get in a decent highlights package. Having to wait until late on Monday night for some muppet produced show is rubbish.

Bring back Delahunt and Scotsport:greengrin

mim
17-03-2010, 10:21 PM
I seem to be the first person to vote No, so I'd better give my reason.
I work many Saturdays and without televised football I would see virtually none at all, apart from my occasional foray to ER.

Saturday 3pm kick offs would preclude any games being televised.

While it wouldn't be good for me personally, I'm not saying that it may not be good for the game (certainly in Scotland).

Disco Dave
17-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Ours should be 3pm KO, just not everyone else :greengrin

Quite enjoy having a pint watching the football before/after our games on a Saturday, followed by watching the Sunday games in bed :thumbsup:

vein
17-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I said yes.

IMO there are too many live games on the TV these days. Some people may love it but for me there was a novelty around a live game 15 or so years ago that would make me more likely to sit and watch it. The only games I'll usually watch on TV now would involve Hibs or Scotland (apart from World Cups and Euro Championships). I cant even be bothered sitting watching Champions league games anymore.

iwasthere1972
17-03-2010, 10:45 PM
No match should ever have a kick off time earlier than 2pm.

Just Jimmy
17-03-2010, 10:57 PM
I work many Saturdays and without televised football I would see virtually none at all, apart from my occasional foray to ER.

While it wouldn't be good for me personally, I'm not saying that it may not be good for the game (certainly in Scotland).

Ditto, I enjoy being able to watch the 12ish KO on a saturday morning before I head to work, likewise I enjoy Sundays off because theres always football to watch.

broonie27
17-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I voted no. I love watching live footy on the TV (especially the EPL) and listening to it on the radio and I couldn't do that and be at ER at the same time. Having said that I live in NZ now so i only get to ER 3 or 4 times a season now :wink:

RoslinInstHibby
18-03-2010, 08:25 AM
i enjoy the early saturday kick offs & the sunday games in the pub.

lEXO
18-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Yes.I,ve got my season ticket, but so far have missed the Huns game and Yams game at christmas and new year due to having to work some sundays.Looks like i,ll miss the Celtic game coming up as well.I know games get moved for tv, but i would rather they were kept to a saturday at least.

Vince White
18-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Mag7
18-03-2010, 09:20 AM
Absolutely. I effin HATE Sunday games. Just not the same knowing you've got work the next day. What I really hate is the big games like cup semi-finals and the League Cup final being on a Sunday. Saturday 3pm kick-offs are the business especially now I've got kids it would make it so much easier to have just one fixed time during the week when you go to the football rather than messing your weekends up trying to arrange things around yet another awkward kick-off time.

Oh for the days of the old Saturday routine. Pre match couple of pints, game at Easter Road, another couple of pints watching the classified results then copies of The Pink being brought into the pub so you can read the Hibs report and study all the results and league tables around the country :greengrin

Vince White
18-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Absolutely. I effin HATE Sunday games. Just not the same knowing you've got work the next day. What I really hate is the big games like cup semi-finals and the League Cup final being on a Sunday. Saturday 3pm kick-offs are the business especially now I've got kids it would make it so much easier to have just one fixed time during the week when you go to the football rather than messing your weekends up trying to arrange things around yet another awkward kick-off time.

Oh for the days of the old Saturday routine. Pre match couple of pints, game at Easter Road, another couple of pints watching the classified results then copies of The Pink being brought into the pub so you can read the Hibs report and study all the results and league tables around the country :greengrin

The Pink! I used to love those Saturday sports papers. Doubt there are any of them still going now :boo hoo:

Franck is God
18-03-2010, 05:04 PM
3pm on Saturday or Wednesday at 7.30 is when football should be played, it just feels wromg at any other time.

I do like how they did it or maybe even still do it in France. All of their games are on Saturday nights and are all televised live but on a slight delay and are available via subscription.

Speedy
18-03-2010, 05:09 PM
No.

Firstly, because at the moment I work a Saturday and therefore the only games I can go to aren't at 3pm on a Saturday.

Secondly, because I like watching other teams on the TV. Particularly the english games because my fantasy football team gives me an interest in most of them.

seanraff07
18-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Yes, although it would be annoying having no football to watch whilst Hibs aren't playing though.

bob12345
19-03-2010, 02:14 AM
Yes, it can be annoying, but as a football fan the chance ti watch live games from our league and big leagues worldwide is too good to pass up. I think a lot who've said yes would suffer more than they think!

TheBall'sRound
19-03-2010, 06:16 AM
I prefer a 3pm kick of as well,What i dont understand and i ve asked before but why do tv games have to be different to 3pm games?

maybe im being stupid but is there a reason?I dunno anyone who has would have a st at er would say no im not going today cos im wathcing the game on tv

While that may be true there are a lot of walk up fans and perhaps away fans who might prefer watching an old firm derby (for example) than traipsing to Pittodrie or to some of the lower league grounds. Places like Almondvale would get 4 folk turning up if the bigotathon was on Sky at 3pm. And the drummer of course...

I would like all Scottish games played at 3pm on a Sat but those days are sadly behind us now.

RMG_82
19-03-2010, 06:27 AM
I grew up in a time when, bar midweek games, all football matches in the UK kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday and the only live TV game shown in a season was the Scottish Cup final (ditto in England with the FA Cup). Sportscene on a Saturday night and Scotsport on a Sunday gave you highlights of one Scottish game and one English game and back then nobody thought that was inadequate coverage. It wasn't really that long ago, but probably long enough ago for many younger members on here not to remember it. I'm probably seen as an old bore by most but back then the whole experience of everyone going to the football at the same time seemed to make it more of an occasion. Now the timing of games is all over the place and I think it dilutes the experience. How many Edinburgh derbies in the last 10 years have kicked off at 3pm on a Saturday just out of interest?

IMHO, since TV started to dictate kick-off times the game in Scotland has actually declined rather than improved, yet clubs are now hugely dependent on TV money. I sometimes wonder if the game here would have been better off without the arrival of Sky.

Thoughts?

I agree. Sick of these stupid k.o times to satisfy the money hungry t.v companies. Fitba's 3pm on a saturday......end of!!! and then pub to check your coupon straight after. Its no the same any more. Big pile a *****

--------
19-03-2010, 09:31 AM
Would you prefer all weekend games to kick off at 3pm on a Saturday?

YES!