PDA

View Full Version : Barca tonight

woody47
17-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Watching the game tonight and also Man U game last week shows the difference between average teams and great teams. Every time the oposition had the ball Barca and Man U players were in their faces.

I hope Yogi gets the DVD's from these games and shows them to our players to prove what can be done with effort.

Yogi should be getting these players training morning AND afternoon to get their fitness 2nd to none. That way we can keep chasing oposition down like we did a couple of seasons ago when we humped Motherwell. We had 2 and sometimes 3 players on the guy with the ball and absolutely took Motherwell apart.

We have good enough players but they need to start playing for the jersey and NOT to respect the oposition.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2010, 09:52 PM
Of course it requires skill to play like that and it's true to say that you can't just get ANY team to play like Barcelona tonight or Man Utd last week. However I believe that the biggest attributes for players in these teams is their hunger, desire and application.

They love to play football, they love scoring goals and constantly getting forward. They also all play as a team. If we could get our players to be receptive to those basic demands, that I think any professional athlete should adhere to, then we will be laughing.

We'll never be able to play as well as Barcelona because players like Messi, Alves and Iniesta are one of a kind and cost millions but there is absolutely no reason why we can't expect, and have, maximum effort from every one of our players and for them all to have fantastic workrate for the 90 minutes that they are on the pitch during each game.

If players do that then that is all you can ask for, you cannot fault lack of skill but you most certainly can fault lack of effort.

Hainan Hibs
17-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Watching tonight you could tell every player was giving 100%. Busting a gut to get forward and get on the end of crosses, tracking back and winning the ball back.

I wouldn't expect the pinpoint cross field passes, the wonder goals or beating 4 or 5 men, but we can all expect the team to put in the effort we saw tonight.

If they want to achieve anything with their career other than going to nightclubs and pulling you've been tangoed bimbo's then they will have to.

Hibby Bairn
17-03-2010, 10:11 PM
John Collins anyone?

bawheid
17-03-2010, 10:15 PM
John Collins anyone?

Was just going to say that. Collins had the right idea, just struggled to convey the message to the bunch of lazy *****.

I think Hughes believes in the same mentallity. Hopefully he can get his point across without the little darlings running to Petrie!

bobbyhibs1983
17-03-2010, 10:17 PM
i think there is a few issues here.As a poster a few posts has said, i dont think you can say that hibs players will have the same talent as a barca or man u player but what i think we should ask is the hibs players give the same effort.

is it a lack of fitness?I think this is one of the reasons,i think if you would judge a barca defenders fitness to one of our defenders fitness i would bet the barca player would win hands down,

Can something be done about hibs players fitness? i think its fair to say yes because we have an excellent training complex witch from what ive heard its top class,

another point i think is missing from hibs is that get in and bout players, closing down so to speak.are hibs players told to do this?I think its vital we do this, and again i think a lil could be down to fitness here.

Jonnyboy
17-03-2010, 10:28 PM
One of Barca's main strengths and it's often ignored because everyone concentrates on their attacking ability is the work they put in when they don't have the ball. Tonight was a case in point as even when 2-0 and then 3-0 up they chased and harried as though their lives depended on it

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-03-2010, 10:36 PM
So we were to play like Man U last week, Barca this week.....i wonder who we should be playing like when the World Cup starts! :cool2::greengrin

down the slope
17-03-2010, 10:42 PM
So we were to play like Man U last week, Barca this week.....i wonder who we should be playing like when the World Cup starts! :cool2::greengrin

No , some people just cannot grasp what is needed-we obviously cannot play like Barcelona but we could train more and get fitter like Barcelona, i think our players probably know more about racehorse fitness than their own !.

Hainan Hibs
17-03-2010, 10:43 PM
One of Barca's main strengths and it's often ignored because everyone concentrates on their attacking ability is the work they put in when they don't have the ball. Tonight was a case in point as even when 2-0 and then 3-0 up they chased and harried as though their lives depended on it

Very true. If they lost the ball they harried and raced back. Nae half arsed jogs back to their half.

madabouthibs
17-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Or flapping their arms about going in the cream puff. :greengrin

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-03-2010, 11:02 PM
No , some people just cannot grasp what is needed-we obviously cannot play like Barcelona but we could train more and get fitter like Barcelona, i think our players probably know more about racehorse fitness than their own !.C'mon man lighten up a bit? Interestingly enough though is that Archie Knox is going over to Barca to watch them train for a few days! I actually think this is an excellent idea and is something that i would want my manager to do - to watch other top European clubs training sessions to see what we could learn.

crewetollhibee
17-03-2010, 11:10 PM
Not going to compare Deek to Rooney, but have thought for some time that he could do for Hibs what Shrek does for Man U. Namely run his nadgers into the ground, pop up all over the park AND still bang in the goals. If it is good enough for (arguably) the best striker in the world, surely it shouldn't be beneath our finest ?

vahibbie
17-03-2010, 11:16 PM
If they gave the same effort but are only 1 tenth as talented they should be on 1 tenth the wages:devil:

Couldnae afford it :wink:

Woody1985
17-03-2010, 11:43 PM
Deja vu.

This thread was on here last week after the Man U game.

blackhibee
18-03-2010, 12:49 AM
Of the teams I've seen so far in the Champions League, Barcelona and Man U are 2 of the more obvious choices, but to me the best organized side that I've seen is Inter Milan. And I could see them winning it as well.

bob12345
18-03-2010, 04:56 AM

However these two tie in. Barcelona and such teams can afford to do this as they are so effective at keeping the ball, they 'rest in possession' for periods. I don't think the fittest team in the world could keep that level of closing down up if they were giving the ball away as much as we have been.

The better we can keep possession the more these tactics could become viable.

TornadoHibby
18-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Of course it requires skill to play like that and it's true to say that you can't just get ANY team to play like Barcelona tonight or Man Utd last week. However I believe that the biggest attributes for players in these teams is their hunger, desire and application.

They love to play football, they love scoring goals and constantly getting forward. They also all play as a team. If we could get our players to be receptive to those basic demands, that I think any professional athlete should adhere to, then we will be laughing.

We'll never be able to play as well as Barcelona because players like Messi, Alves and Iniesta are one of a kind and cost millions but there is absolutely no reason why we can't expect, and have, maximum effort from every one of our players and for them all to have fantastic workrate for the 90 minutes that they are on the pitch during each game.

If players do that then that is all you can ask for, you cannot fault lack of skill but you most certainly can fault lack of effort.

Also requires a superior level of match fitness which JC had instilled in the team when he was manager and which now seems to have dropped to something less than required IMO! :grr:

However, the other things you mention are also required in abundance and BELIEF and ATTITUDE are as important as any you mention! :agree:

Despite what some might say, I believe that our recent form and displays have shown us to have lost confidence for some reason and, as such, apart from rare occasions look like an accident waiting to happen more often than not, Killie and Ross County the two most recent examples! :agree:

I really hope that Yogi and his coaches can get them at least competing like the teams you refer to and that in doing that the confidence factor improves as we have more ball retention and winning.

However, we need to address also the match tactics and a 4-2-3 1 formation with say, Bamba and McBride playing in front of the back four and say, Zemmama, Miller and Galbraith/Riordan in front of them with Stokes the lone striker to be supported by the attacking (3) midfielders when going forward works IMO. :cool2:

This could be "beefed up for Saturday by playing Thicot or Darren McCormack at RB instead of DW who could replace Zouma in the formation I suggest. :cool2:

We need to dominate and "boss" the game on Saturday if we are to take the 3 points which we need and I think this formation gives us a chance. I hope Yogi's formation does the same and if we do well on Saturday as a result, we will have a decnt chance of doing well on Tuesday night too! :wink:

Craig_in_Prague
18-03-2010, 10:26 AM
In a lot of Yogi's earlier interviews, he did mention Barca a few times... i.e. their fitness, desire, flair etc, and mentioned Alves as a full-back that his own players should watch and learn from. He also mentioned the idea of going to watch teams like that train.

Yogi certainly talks the talk, perhaps he should try turning some things into reality.

I actually applauded some of their play and effort last night, which is weird in my own flat, but they are ****ing brilliant!

JimBHibees
18-03-2010, 10:33 AM
Watching the game tonight and also Man U game last week shows the difference between average teams and great teams. Every time the oposition had the ball Barca and Man U players were in their faces.

I hope Yogi gets the DVD's from these games and shows them to our players to prove what can be done with effort.

Yogi should be getting these players training morning AND afternoon to get their fitness 2nd to none. That way we can keep chasing oposition down like we did a couple of seasons ago when we humped Motherwell. We had 2 and sometimes 3 players on the guy with the ball and absolutely took Motherwell apart.

We have good enough players but they need to start playing for the jersey and NOT to respect the oposition.

If it was just effort everyone would be doing it. It is world class skill that most of the players have and will have been coached to play like this since a child so will be ingrained in them.

It was great to watch no doubt however Messi is a fantastic and unique footballer and hope he shows it in the upcoming World cup.

cwilliamson85
18-03-2010, 10:40 AM
As the commentator said it must be a bonus to be able to win the CL on your arch rivals ground.

(final @ Santiago Bernabéu Stadium)