PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Hibs V Hearts fans: Rivals4Charity match cancelled

Mister P
17-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi everyone.
It is with regret that we have had to cancel the 2010 Rivals4Charity Hibs fans V Hearts fans event.

Both squads have been training for a few weeks now with very little response. It's not entirely down to lower numbers with trialists, but also a lack of success in the search of a main sponsor. It was looking that this years charity, Swanfield MS therapy centre, may recieve somewhere in the region of £2,000 - £3,000, and while any amount is worth while it would be in stark contrast to the amounts of £10,000-£14,000 we have raised for other charities in previous years.
So instead of pressing on with this years arrangements we have decided to postpone the event till 2011. Swanfield and the two other charities (both of whom will recieve 10% of the money raised) will be chosen as next years benefactors.

I would like to thank Tam for running the trial sessions we've had thoughout March and hopefully he can get on board again next year.

If anyone is in contact with any of the other trialists, or knows someone who applied please pass this info on.

Many thanks for your commitment up till this point and hope to see you all again next year.

John.

Mister P
17-03-2010, 09:29 PM
for anyone who registered tho...how about this (http://www.realradio-scotland.co.uk/presenters-shows/shows-xcyr/real-football-phonein-qlug/east-v-west-cup-trat/east-v-west-cup/kuqx8lsf/promo-take-part-in-the-east-v-west-cup/) :dunno:

Andy74
17-03-2010, 09:36 PM
Hi everyone.
It is with regret that we have had to cancel the 2010 Rivals4Charity Hibs fans V Hearts fans event.

Both squads have been training for a few weeks now with very little response. It's not entirely down to lower numbers with trialists, but also a lack of success in the search of a main sponsor. It was looking that this years charity, Swanfield MS therapy centre, may recieve somewhere in the region of £2,000 - £3,000, and while any amount is worth while it would be in stark contrast to the amounts of £10,000-£14,000 we have raised for other charities in previous years.
So instead of pressing on with this years arrangements we have decided to postpose the event till 2011. Swanfield and the two other charities (both of whom will recieve 10% of the money raised) will be chosen as next years benefactors.

I would like to thank Tam for running the trial sessions we've had thoughout March and hopefully he can get on board again next year.

If anyone is in contact with any of the other trialists, or knows someone who applied please pass this info on.

Many thanks for your commitment up till this point and hope to see you all again next year.

John.
Trials and training for a charity game? Whatever next. Is it not best just to try and get people commited for the one day? Does the standard really matter so much?

Mister P
17-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Trials and training for a charity game? Whatever next. Is it not best just to try and get people commited for the one day? Does the standard really matter so much?

the current format has served us very well for four years now. the standard does indeed matter!:agree:

the money raised goes to charity, for the applicants it's 100% commitment to the football

MSK
17-03-2010, 09:49 PM
the current format has served us very well for four years now. the standard does indeed matter!:agree:

the money raised goes to charity, for the applicants it's 100% commitment to the footballIm sure whoever was selected for either team would give nowt less than 100% John ..

Mike777
17-03-2010, 11:28 PM
for anyone who registered tho...how about this (http://www.realradio-scotland.co.uk/presenters-shows/shows-xcyr/real-football-phonein-qlug/east-v-west-cup-trat/east-v-west-cup/kuqx8lsf/promo-take-part-in-the-east-v-west-cup/) :dunno:

I heard this as well, sounds good and i probably would give it a bash but i would never have time but then i hate real radio every time i turn it on its always bloody ranger or celtic EVERY time. Tonight i listened to Outside SPL? with Jim Spence, Gary Bolan and Derek ferguson talking about the highland league, woman's football, 3g pitches.

IWasThere2016
18-03-2010, 09:33 AM

That's the proper beer-belly, poor diet amateur mentality our non-professional game is built on! :greengrin

Aldo
18-03-2010, 10:59 AM
Jon really sorry to hear that mate. I know what sort of work the organisers put into it.

Disc O'Dave
18-03-2010, 11:40 AM

I think also that there is an issue of proving fitness. In this blame culture society, I imagine even charitable intentions would be subject to serious repercussions should someone of my "stature" be allowed to play, and drop dead after 5 miniutes.

Or someone who didn't anticipate a tackle properly ended up with a leg break, or end up injuring someone else who wasn't treating the game with the same seriousness.

To that end, I appreciate why this has been taken so seriously over the years. Last years game was actually good to watch too, such was the level it was played at - which should lead to getting more punters through the gates each year, and should lead to more money for the chosen charities.

Unfortunately, the cancellation this year is a blow. I can't help thinking that not having the draw of getting to play at either of the team's stadium this year has influenced the lower take-up.

Dave

Future17
18-03-2010, 01:27 PM
Im sure whoever was selected for either team would give nowt less than 100% John ..

As someone who has been involved before, I'd say that a massive part of what makes this event special is the dedication and commitment given by all, organisers, players, coaches, supporters etc, over a period of months.

Anyone can turn up for one day, throw on a Hibs strip and kick a ball about for 90 mins, but proving you are committed, not just to your team but to raising money for charity over a longer period, is what earns you the right to represent your team in this match.

The standard in previous years has been very high and the work put into the event by volunteer organisers and those who assist them has been phenomenal.

I know of no other clubs who do anything like this and those who have been involved in the past, on both sides of the "divide", should be proud of what they have achieved. The amounts raised for charity have been astounding.

It's a shame that there will be no event this year but I'm sure the event will be back next year, bigger and better than ever.

Hopefully, with a new stand built, Hibs will be in a position to back this event, to the same degree that Hearts have in the past, and allow Easter Road to be used for the game. Also, the financial climate will hopefully have improved and allow a main sponsor to be found.

GGTTH! :thumbsup:

DeLaGaff
18-03-2010, 03:45 PM
Having the trials on the other side of Edinburgh (from Easter Road), at 9-10 on a Friday night, without any changing/showering facilities put the dampeners on it for me I must admit.

Can't accomodate everyone I know, but I was very keen to play until I learned of the training details.

Judas Iscariot
18-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Having the trials on the other side of Edinburgh (from Easter Road), at 9-10 on a Friday night, without any changing/showering facilities put the dampeners on it for me I must admit.

Can't accomodate everyone I know, but I was very keen to play until I learned of the training details.

Well worth the minor hardship to pull on the green and White to hump the yams tho :agree:

Feel really sorry for John (Mister P) and all the other folk that volunteer hours of their free time to organise this!

Hopefully Hibs and Hertz get the finger out next year and have the game at ER or the PBS :jamboak:

Anyone that still wants to pull on the Glorious Green and White drop me or Mister P a PM :wink: