PDA

View Full Version : Sol Bamba interview

Johnny_Leith
17-03-2010, 03:39 PM
Big Sol's been interviewed in Aprils Four Four Two issue. I have a subscription with FFT, so I don't think the April issue is out yet? If it is allowed by Admins I'll type out the interview?

RoslinInstHibby
17-03-2010, 03:49 PM
Big Sol's been interviewed in Aprils Four Four Two issue. I have a subscription with FFT, so I don't think the April issue is out yet? If it is allowed by Admins I'll type out the interview?

you would be quicker scanning it:agree:

bighairyfaeleith
17-03-2010, 03:50 PM

dinnae ask the admins, right bunch of pricks :devil:

Johnny_Leith
17-03-2010, 04:11 PM
Righto, I've no scanner so will just have to type it out and if it doesn't sit with the admins then they can remove it.

"The Best in Scotland"
Hibs and Ivory Coast defender Sol Bamba has ambitions beyond the SPL

Sol Bamba's lofty ambition to "be the bet in Scotland" would have attracted ridicule in 2008, but no longer. Only two seasons ago he was a raw rookie at Dunfermline, regarded by some as a 'bomb-scare', but now the powerful 25-year-old centre-back is a must for World Cup-bound Ivory Coast and the heartbeat of a Hibs side flying high under John Hughes.
"This Hibs team can go very far," says Bamba. "If the manager stays then anything is possible. First and foremost, he is a Hibee. He talks a lot about how proud we should be to represent this club."
He claims that winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in 108 years is the priority. "We need to put that right. Our biggest challenge is to find a high level of performance every week, not just against the Old Firm or Hearts. That's the difference between a good and great player."
Bamba knows all about great players - his Ivory Coast colleagues include Didier Drogba and the Toure brothers. That he played every minute of their Africa Cup of Nations campaign was a personal triumph, despite the pre-tournament favourites not progressing past the quarter-finals. Deeply proud of his roots, he's hoping the elephants will take South Africa by storm.
"When you play for an African team it's not just about the football," he says. "It's about much more - the people, the country and the politics. We feel it deeply. The World Cup will be the highlight of my career."
Ivory Coast's manager, Vahid Halilhodzic, was head coach at Paris Saint-Germain when Bamba opted for the delights of Fife. "When I met him again he said I'd run away to Scotland before he could catch me!"
Bamba credits his switch to Dunfermline as the turning point in his life. too comfortable at PSG, he lacked the hunger that now characterises his play. "I had it all in Paris so I didn't work hard. I know why I left to come here - to try and be the best player in Scotland."
Given his career's rapidupward trajectory, Bamba may soon be moving on again: Arsenal and Liverpool are trackinghis progress, while there's also interest from France, Germany and Russia.
"The manager has told me he will not stand in my way. Hibs have been good to me and I want to pay them back by earning them a lot of money from a transfer. I've worked hard to get here. Now I wat to see how far I can go."

Liam89
17-03-2010, 04:32 PM
So he's said he's pretty much certain to leave. Oh well. Bye bamba:bye:

7Hero
17-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Started off just as I expected has far to high an opinion of himself sooner he is punted the better

bighairyfaeleith
17-03-2010, 04:38 PM
"The manager has told me he will not stand in my way. Hibs have been good to me and I want to pay them back by earning them a lot of money from a transfer. I've worked hard to get here. Now I wat to see how far I can go."

contrast that to goncalves eh :greengrin

down-the-slope
17-03-2010, 04:38 PM
The 'Heart Beat'...I assume Jurno has never watched Hibs :faf:

WAS considered a 'Bombscare' 2 years ago...:rolleyes:

Just leaves Rodders to do what he is best at.....the 'missing' finance for the East

Perspective
17-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't mind players with that attitude.

They have to play well to earn their move and we re-invest the money to help improve the club's infrastructure or swell the player pot for Yogi. Everyone's a winner.

Zemmama gave a similar interview recently and I recall the likes of Uli Laursen and David Murphy using the 'stepping stone' line upon their arrival.

Andy74
17-03-2010, 04:53 PM
Started off just as I expected has far to high an opinion of himself sooner he is punted the better

I think we need all the players we can get that fancy themselves to play at a higher level.

We won't improve as a team and a club until we get individuals who want to improve themselves.

I don't think he is saying he has arrived, he is saying he wants to see how far he can go.

Some of our lot probably think they have done it all already and that they can take it easy now.

matty_f
17-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't mind players with that attitude.

They have to play well to earn their move and we re-invest the money to help improve the club's infrastructure or swell the player pot for Yogi. Everyone's a winner.

Zemmama gave a similar interview recently and I recall the likes of Uli Laursen and David Murphy using the 'stepping stone' line upon their arrival.

I think we need all the players we can get that fancy themselves to play at a higher level.

We won't improve as a team and a club until we get individuals who want to improve themselves.

I don't think he is saying he has arrived, he is saying he wants to see how far he can go.

Some of our lot probably think they have done it all already and that they can take it easy now.
:top marks

Jim44
17-03-2010, 05:40 PM
He doesn't put a timescale on his ambitions but if he intends to earn Hibs a lot of money soon, he better get the finger out pronto and start doing the business in the last part of the season and at the same time get his team-mates to follow suit. If he doesn't cut the mustard soon, he's going to have to stay for at least one more season to come up with the goods.

KiddA
17-03-2010, 05:52 PM
He doesn't put a timescale on his ambitions but if he intends to earn Hibs a lot of money soon, he better get the finger out pronto and start doing the business in the last part of the season and at the same time get his team-mates to follow suit. If he doesn't cut the mustard soon, he's going to have to stay for at least one more season to come up with the goods.

:agree: On current form he will not be going anywhere. He says he has worked hard to get where he is but the bottom line is he better pick up his form for Hibs and hope he has a great World Cup before he has teams like Arsenal and Liverpool wanting him which I really think is not the case.

Jack
17-03-2010, 06:05 PM

TBF its been a long time since I ever heard a modest professional sportsman. There aren’t that many people, from any walk of life, that can attain the pinnacle of their profession while not believing in themselves.

The boys got an ambition that he knows he’ll have to work hard to achieve and belives he can do it. Good luck to him.

Allant1981
17-03-2010, 07:17 PM
There is no way a team like arsenal or liverpool will bid on him, far to inconsistant up here for these types of teams to buy him, lets not forget these guys can go out and buy pretty much any player they want so why would they want bamba. Not for one second saying he cant play in the EPL i just dont think he is good enough to play for the top 6-7 teams down there

pedroorange1875
17-03-2010, 08:22 PM
There is no way a team like arsenal or liverpool will bid on him, far to inconsistant up here for these types of teams to buy him, lets not forget these guys can go out and buy pretty much any player they want so why would they want bamba. Not for one second saying he cant play in the EPL i just dont think he is good enough to play for the top 6-7 teams down there

They have Kyriakos, enough said, Sols form has dipped but he is definately EPL quality on his game, power, pace, athletic, and still young enough. Good world cup, we will get big money :agree:

Danderhall Hibs
17-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Not interested in the Sol interview, I've just solved the spine line!

seanraff07
17-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Fair enough having some ambition but i believe he thinks he's better than he actually is, and he's been one of our worst performers since returning from the ACON.:bitchy:

Hibs90
18-03-2010, 10:12 AM
Bamba at Arsenal :dizzy:

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Fair enough having some ambition but i believe he thinks he's better than he actually is, and he's been one of our worst performers since returning from the ACON.:bitchy:

What makes you think that?

MussyHibby
18-03-2010, 02:24 PM
On current form he will not be going anywhere. He says he has worked hard to get where he is but the bottom line is he better pick up his form for Hibs and hope he has a great World Cup before he has teams like Arsenal and Liverpool wanting him which I really think is not the case.

People were saying the same about Fletcher last year.:agree:

seanraff07
18-03-2010, 08:34 PM
What makes you think that?

Going on about his ambitions to be the best player in the SPL etc.. he's far from it, just a bit arrogant IMO. I think their's better players in our team than him for a start, not having a dig at him just saying what i think.

blackpoolhibs
18-03-2010, 08:47 PM
Going on about his ambitions to be the best player in the SPL etc.. he's far from it, just a bit arrogant IMO. I think their's better players in our team than him for a start, not having a dig at him just saying what i think.

What should his ambitions be then, the 18th, 12th 43rd best in scotland? Should he not have ambitions? He's asked a question and gave an answer, that now makes him arrogant.:confused: Perhaps Hibs players should not speak to the press.

Perspective
18-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Those upset by his comments need to read the article properly.

He doesn't say anything remotely controversial and speaks very highly of Hibs and Yogi.

I'd rather have up-and-coming, hungry players who want to better themselves after giving us decent service than those content to have found their level and steal a wage.

KiddA
19-03-2010, 02:30 AM
People were saying the same about Fletcher last year.:agree:

Yeah never say never I guess.

RMG_82
19-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Righto, I've no scanner so will just have to type it out and if it doesn't sit with the admins then they can remove it.

"The Best in Scotland"
Hibs and Ivory Coast defender Sol Bamba has ambitions beyond the SPL

Sol Bamba's lofty ambition to "be the bet in Scotland" would have attracted ridicule in 2008, but no longer. Only two seasons ago he was a raw rookie at Dunfermline, regarded by some as a 'bomb-scare', but now the powerful 25-year-old centre-back is a must for World Cup-bound Ivory Coast and the heartbeat of a Hibs side flying high under John Hughes.
"This Hibs team can go very far," says Bamba. "If the manager stays then anything is possible. First and foremost, he is a Hibee. He talks a lot about how proud we should be to represent this club."
He claims that winning the Scottish Cup for the first time in 108 years is the priority. "We need to put that right. Our biggest challenge is to find a high level of performance every week, not just against the Old Firm or Hearts. That's the difference between a good and great player."
Bamba knows all about great players - his Ivory Coast colleagues include Didier Drogba and the Toure brothers. That he played every minute of their Africa Cup of Nations campaign was a personal triumph, despite the pre-tournament favourites not progressing past the quarter-finals. Deeply proud of his roots, he's hoping the elephants will take South Africa by storm.
"When you play for an African team it's not just about the football," he says. "It's about much more - the people, the country and the politics. We feel it deeply. The World Cup will be the highlight of my career."
Ivory Coast's manager, Vahid Halilhodzic, was head coach at Paris Saint-Germain when Bamba opted for the delights of Fife. "When I met him again he said I'd run away to Scotland before he could catch me!"
Bamba credits his switch to Dunfermline as the turning point in his life. too comfortable at PSG, he lacked the hunger that now characterises his play. "I had it all in Paris so I didn't work hard. I know why I left to come here - to try and be the best player in Scotland."
Given his career's rapidupward trajectory, Bamba may soon be moving on again: Arsenal and Liverpool are trackinghis progress, while there's also interest from France, Germany and Russia.

Is "rapidupward" even a word?

Still is a bombscare, makes me nervous every time i watch him. Still looks like he jumps in to tackles too quick rather than jockey and wait for the right time to put a foot in. I'd happily take some dough for him. Maybe we can fill in the corners to the leith san siro from the proceeds? If he's been correctly quoted here his thinking explains that his head is elsewhere at the moment. Dinny like it one bit.

MussyHibby
19-03-2010, 08:51 AM

Still is a bombscare, makes me nervous every time i watch him. Still looks like he jumps in to tackles too quick rather than jockey and wait for the right time to put a foot in. I'd happily take some dough for him. Maybe we can fill in the corners to the leith san siro from the proceeds? If he's been correctly quoted here his thinking explains that his head is elsewhere at the moment. Dinny like it one bit.

Opinions eh? Totally disagree with you. I just hope and trust he's fit for tomorrow.:agree:

Would anyone seriously not play Bamba:confused::confused:

matty_f
19-03-2010, 10:09 AM

Still is a bombscare, makes me nervous every time i watch him. Still looks like he jumps in to tackles too quick rather than jockey and wait for the right time to put a foot in. I'd happily take some dough for him. Maybe we can fill in the corners to the leith san siro from the proceeds? If he's been correctly quoted here his thinking explains that his head is elsewhere at the moment. Dinny like it one bit.[/QUOTE]

Opinions eh? Totally disagree with you. I just hope and trust he's fit for tomorrow.:agree:

Would anyone seriously not play Bamba:confused::confused:

I can't think why anyone wouldn't want Bamba starting tomorrow. He's probably been MOTM on more occasions than any other Hibs player this season, certainly over the last two seasons.

In a game where we are up against a big, physical side, we need to get some physical presence of our own on the park to combat it.

Stick Bamba in the midfield, keep Hogg and Hanlon at centre-half, and go for a 4-5-1.