PDA

View Full Version : Celtic v Hibs cup semi 1980

beccathehibee
17-03-2010, 02:04 PM
My dad was telling me the other day, that I was born on semi final day 12/04/80 when hibs played celtic and got beat, he said that I was born at a perfect time as he could still make it to the semi final, and it was also George Best's last game with Hibs and that if I was a boy I was gonna be called George (thankfully I wasnt). Anyway if by a miracle that we do beat Ross County and play Celtic in the Semi's that would make a brilliant 30th Birthday Present for me!!! So come on Hibs! :thumbsup:

Keith_M
17-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I hope the score's a bit better than that game.

:wink:

SouthamptonHibs
17-03-2010, 02:21 PM
what was the score that game? i have no idea, didn't even no we got the semi final that year, mind you i wasn't even 1

hail hail

beccathehibee
17-03-2010, 02:25 PM
what was the score that game? i have no idea, didn't even no we got the semi final that year, mind you i wasn't even 1

hail hail

I think we were hammered 5-0, might be wrong???

Joe Baker II
17-03-2010, 02:26 PM

hail hail

Er 5-0 (think you can guess who to!). Do not think was Best's last game though, he played the following seasons.

Sudds_1
17-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I think we were hammered 5-0, might be wrong???

nope............you're spot on :boo hoo: What a miserable day that was.....the effin bus even broke down on the way home just to top off a glorious day (not) :grr:

Ray_
17-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Er 5-0 (think you can guess who to!). Do not think was Best's last game though, he played the following seasons.

He def played again the next season when we were in the first division. Even although we got beat 5-0, incredibly GB was named man of the match, in the Sunday Mail I think it was, just shows how far ahead he was from the rest, even at that stage in his career.

HIBERNIAN-0762
17-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I was at that game and it was ****ing murder, one of the worst performances in any semi by us, we simply stood back and let them do what they wanted, I was away at number four :bitchy:

beccathehibee
17-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Yip sorry your right, looks like he played until 1981 and seemingly he came back to easter road one more time in 1984 for jackie mcnamara's testimonial match against Newcastle!

andyhibs
17-03-2010, 03:39 PM
seem to remember georgie boy trying to ram the corner flag where the sun dont shine up danny mcgrain:greengrin

norhfc
17-03-2010, 03:47 PM
I was at that game,hopefully you will get your birthday wish. :thumbsup:

IberianHibernian
19-03-2010, 12:09 AM
I came up from London for this game - the train was full of Celtic and Rangers fans plus me . We played Celtic at Hampden in one semi while Rangers played Aberdeen in other at Parkhead at same time -both matches had crowds of about 50,000 , amazing when you consider how strict police are about matches now . 5v0 defeat at a very sad time for Hibs - we were about to be relegated though we got to semi in both cups .

monktonharp
19-03-2010, 12:32 AM
I came up from London for this game - the train was full of Celtic and Rangers fans plus me . We played Celtic at Hampden in one semi while Rangers played Aberdeen in other at Parkhead at same time -both matches had crowds of about 50,000 , amazing when you consider how strict police are about matches now . 5v0 defeat at a very sad time for Hibs - we were about to be relegated though we got to semi in both cups . aye,but we played Rangers 3 times for the same cup (2 cup final replays) the year before,naw? 1979 ? and got finally beaten on a sheite Wednesday night ,3-2 with Arthur Duncan heading in og from a corner to the huns:boo hoo:

Ringothedog
19-03-2010, 07:20 AM
aye,but we played Rangers 3 times for the same cup (2 cup final replays) the year before,naw? 1979 ? and got finally beaten on a sheite Wednesday night ,3-2 with Arthur Duncan heading in og from a corner to the huns:boo hoo:

It was a Monday night, I was at Wembley at the weekend got back into Edinburgh on the Monday Afternoon straight through to Hampden, got to the gates and Hibs scored. The only time in my lifetime that Hibs had led in a Scottish Cup final and I effin missed it!!:boo hoo:

What a bad 3 days a 3-1 defeat followed by a 3-2 defeat

Ginger Gehagan
19-03-2010, 09:14 AM
My dad was telling me the other day, that I was born on semi final day 12/04/80 when hibs played celtic and got beat, he said that I was born at a perfect time as he could still make it to the semi final, and it was also George Best's last game with Hibs and that if I was a boy I was gonna be called George (thankfully I wasnt). Anyway if by a miracle that we do beat Ross County and play Celtic in the Semi's that would make a brilliant 30th Birthday Present for me!!! So come on Hibs! :thumbsup:

Thanks for that info. I was born on the same day. Had no idea we got pumped by Celtic, mabye that's why I hate them so much!!!

beccathehibee
19-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Thanks for that info. I was born on the same day. Had no idea we got pumped by Celtic, mabye that's why I hate them so much!!!

You werent born in Simpsons hospital, we might of been on same ward lol? Your 30th birthday too, it sure would be a good birthday present if we beat Ross County and then beat Celtic to make the final! :thumbsup:

Ginger Gehagan
19-03-2010, 11:41 AM
You werent born in Simpsons hospital, we might of been on same ward lol? Your 30th birthday too, it sure would be a good birthday present if we beat Ross County and then beat Celtic to make the final! :thumbsup:

No I was born in Galashiels. Yeah the best present ever, we beat Livingston in the semis in 2001 on my 21st, as I'm sure you know, lol. Not arranged a party yet until I see what happens with the replay :thumbsup:

beccathehibee
19-03-2010, 01:34 PM
No I was born in Galashiels. Yeah the best present ever, we beat Livingston in the semis in 2001 on my 21st, as I'm sure you know, lol. Not arranged a party yet until I see what happens with the replay :thumbsup:

Dont know why I wasnt born in Gala as lived in greenlaw then (a dump lol)
Well happy birthday for when it comes!

Ginger Gehagan
19-03-2010, 01:46 PM
Dont know why I wasnt born in Gala as lived in greenlaw then (a dump lol)
Well happy birthday for when it comes!

Same to you :thumbsup:

Mag7
19-03-2010, 02:20 PM
That was probably one of the lowest points in Hibs history. From unlucky losing cup finalists the previous season to relegation the next. Turnbull's team had been on a steady decline but it was still a major shock to be relegated. The signing of Best allieviated the gloom somewhat and I do reacall one high point, beating Rangers 2-1 after being 1-0 down.

By the time the semi v Celtic came around though it was all over really. We never stood a chance and it was all a bit embarrassing. Best's showboating became the highlight of the game and I remember that's what Sportscene focused on that evening.

If that was bad, there was still a 5-0 defeat at Easter Road to come on the last day of the season at the hands of Aberdeen who clinched the title that day. Pat Stanton was assistant to Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen and I remember reading that he had mixed emotions that day. Happy to see a team like Aberdeen break the Old Firm hold on the title but saddened to see what had become of his beloved Hibs.

beccathehibee
20-03-2010, 03:03 AM
That was probably one of the lowest points in Hibs history. From unlucky losing cup finalists the previous season to relegation the next. Turnbull's team had been on a steady decline but it was still a major shock to be relegated. The signing of Best allieviated the gloom somewhat and I do reacall one high point, beating Rangers 2-1 after being 1-0 down.

By the time the semi v Celtic came around though it was all over really. We never stood a chance and it was all a bit embarrassing. Best's showboating became the highlight of the game and I remember that's what Sportscene focused on that evening.

If that was bad, there was still a 5-0 defeat at Easter Road to come on the last day of the season at the hands of Aberdeen who clinched the title that day. Pat Stanton was assistant to Alex Ferguson at Aberdeen and I remember reading that he had mixed emotions that day. Happy to see a team like Aberdeen break the Old Firm hold on the title but saddened to see what had become of his beloved Hibs.

Even though it was almost 30 yrs ago it sounds like a lot of you guys remember it well, lets hope that the next few games hibs have, will be remembered for another thirty odd years but for the better!

tamig
20-03-2010, 03:55 AM
seem to remember georgie boy trying to ram the corner flag where the sun dont shine up danny mcgrain:greengrin

:agree:An amusing moment in the game. I was 15 at the time and remember being in the old North Enclosure surrounded by Celtic fans. "Get that man in hoops" they said about Georgie Boy.

ronaldo7
20-03-2010, 05:30 AM
I was at that game too.

Remember thinking, why the **** do I bother.

30 years later, I can't sleep, just thinking about going to the PBS to hump the yams.

GGTTH

The Harp
20-03-2010, 08:07 AM

Hope Hibs are able to provide you with a happy 30th. I was at this game but manage to blot it out - selective memory's a great thing eh.
My son was also born on a match day v Celtic (2 Oct '76). Still remember floating on air from Simpson's as I made my way down Lothian Rd to my folk's house to tell them they were now grandparents, and passing a TV shop showing the half time score from Parkhead ... Celtic 0 Hibs 1 (Arthur Duncan). Game finished 1-1. Happy days!