PDA

View Full Version : Standing at the Fitba? - Memories are made of this

johnrebus
17-03-2010, 10:15 AM
The days of terracing and standing at a game may be gone for the forseeable future - in the SPL at least - but what is the thing that is missed the most? And the worst thing that ever happened?

Am not talking about these terribe people :wink: who insisted on standing on their seats in the old East Stand, but back to the old days pre Taylor Report.

The best things about standing are being able to move around to ward off the cold and to get away from people who,

a. Smell :rolleyes:
b. Sniff every 10 seconds ( blow yer bloody nose :grr: )
c. Get up and down every ten minutes to go for food, pish, etc
d. Smoke ( No longer applicable)
e. Go over the top with slagging the team/individual player.
f. Avoid people you don't like, or owe money to. (or relatives)

Worst experience, apart from the result, was breaking my foot during the aftermath of Eddie Mays winning goal V Celtic (4-3) in the SC at Easter Road in 1986.

Christ, that was bedlam :greengrin

Disc O'Dave
17-03-2010, 10:25 AM
The days of terracing and standing at a game may be gone for the forseeable future - in the SPL at least - but what is the thing that is missed the most? And the worst thing that ever happened?

Am not talking about these terribe people :wink: who insisted on standing on their seats in the old East Stand, but back to the old days pre Taylor Report.

The best things about standing are being able to move around to ward off the cold and to get away from people who,

Worst experience, apart from the result, was breaking my foot during the aftermath of Eddie Mays winning goal V Celtic (4-3) in the SC at Easter Road in 1986.

I busrt my BCG scab open when Joe McBride curled a beauty in to equalise at Tynie. Well, I shoud say someone next to me did. Brand new white away top, with the wee triangles on the front, ended up with the sleeve all covered in pus and blood. Nice. That was my first away Derby.

Of course, in your list, if there was standing, point c. would be irrelevant, as there would be nowhere to "get up" from :wink:

Hakim Sar
17-03-2010, 10:25 AM
I'm excluded from this as I only started going to games in 1990 and had to sit with my uncle in shed at bottom of slope.

but I can remember looking over and seeing plumes of cigarette smoke, thousands of men wearing bunnets and overcoats. can't recall every single game have an amazing atmosphere (think nostalgia makes u believe it did) and can remember seeing the mass of bodies coming down the terracing steps after games down onto albion road

jakedance
17-03-2010, 10:56 AM
I'm incredibly thankful I had four or five years of the terracing before the Taylor report ruined football.

I was a bit too young for the Skol Cup final in 91 but I was there a few years later when we lost to Rangers at Parkhead. Result was disappointing of course but the celebrations at our equaliser (or the semifinal at Tynie) were insane. That kind of atmosphere just isn't possible anymore.

What I miss is feeling much more involved. Sitting down makes fitba a passive experience for me. I miss having freedom of movement.

gogs_t
17-03-2010, 11:29 AM
I'm excluded from this as I only started going to games in 1990 and had to sit with my uncle in shed at bottom of slope.

but I can remember looking over and seeing plumes of cigarette smoke, thousands of men wearing bunnets and overcoats. can't recall every single game have an amazing atmosphere (think nostalgia makes u believe it did) and can remember seeing the mass of bodies coming down the terracing steps after games down onto albion road

Are you sure you're not mixing your memories with pictures of the terracing during Famous Five days??
Did they have footie rattles as well :dunno: :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
17-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I miss the surges forward and being carried with your feet not touching the ground,scary and dangerous as hel. but would not want to swap it for the world.
I miss the standing close together(great in the winter) the singing and the beer farts, that couldnt escape, cos folk were packed together,memories right enough,would give anything to be back to standing terracing.You were part of a herd,going ballistic at goals against the OF and hertz,not worried about spraining your ankles as grown men were flying all over the terracing.
It was part of the fitba experience when you were growing up,every kid had to experience it,once the experience was in your blood you wouldnt go anywhere else in the ground,I think thats another reason why East Standers are finding it difficult to move to another part of the ground and have to sit down,alot of us were brought up in that mental atmosphere and its as if we have lost something sacred(aye it sounds sentimental pi5h) but to us (not too older guys) its the end of an era,with the knocking down of the only link to the old terracing.
Gone but not forgotten.:agree:

wouldnt it be nice if there was a piece written on this by Terracin Tam

Posh Swanny
17-03-2010, 12:27 PM
We may have proved to be a bit of a laughing stock in the Championship this year but away fans have been enjoying their trips to London Road this season for more than just the victories! 3/4 of the ground (including the away end) is a bit different to the comfy cosy stadia that make up alot of this division and the one above - a breath of "fresh" air for old school supporters.

http://www.nufc.com/2009-10images/2009-09-22pboro-away-end.jpg

The home end is better/steeper but there aren't many good pictures of it!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wY4mshr0MaM/Sc8wxHLZUPI/AAAAAAAAAH8/zrtTJGO8MTg/s1600-h/P280309_11.53.jpg

Alas, these terraces will be going the way of the East in the next year or two and as we prepare for the future.

Isaac_Refvik
17-03-2010, 01:36 PM

Still have vivid memories of my specs disappearing 15 feet in front of me after a mate jumped on my back at that goal. Managed to watch the rest of the game through one lens and half a leg.

Rory89
17-03-2010, 01:40 PM
Seating isn't always that safe anyway, I ****** my nose off a chair at the league cup final.

Didn't care too much, despite the agony. :greengrin

Peevemor
17-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Seating isn't always that safe anyway, I ****** my nose off a chair at the league cup final.

Is the .net censor on his holidays then? :faf:

Danderhall Hibs
17-03-2010, 01:47 PM

:hilarious

Seems ****** is the new ****.

iwasthere1972
17-03-2010, 01:52 PM

:doh: What's that mean in plain English.

Kato
17-03-2010, 01:56 PM

Ouch, were you in the North Enclosure when that happened?

Blew.

hibsbollah
17-03-2010, 01:57 PM

****** v., adv past tense . n 1 a a sharp blow inflicting great pain 2 the sound of this 3 (slang) inebriated.

Swedish hibee
17-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm incredibly thankful I had four or five years of the terracing before the Taylor report ruined football.

I was a bit too young for the Skol Cup final in 91

How old do i feel right now... :grr:

Yeh i miss ma youth!!!

Peevemor
17-03-2010, 02:00 PM
What a bunch of immature blows!

johnrebus
17-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Ouch, were you in the North Enclosure when that happened?

No, the East terracing.

:greengrin

Rory89
17-03-2010, 05:02 PM

This is interesting, I wonder what other swear words inside words get through.

Cunting

Supercalicuntilisticexpialidocious

****o

Fat****

****face

Twattish

*****tain

Deportivo Wanka

Edit to add: Looks like the F word is the hibs.net censors main priority then. What about the either words mods, there's children reading this board ffs pull your finger out. Disgusting. :agree:

jgl07
17-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Most awesome site was from the top of the old Terrace at the Valley for a Charlton Athletic match.

Take the old high terrace at Easter Road and multiply by two. The players looked like ants from up there.

My worst experience was at Filbert Street Leicester. This had very narrow terraces and the crush was dreadful. We ended up jumping over the wall and sitting on the running track. Had there been 1980s style fences there would have been fatalities.

Other experiences were the surges that always happened when the ground got too full. This could be very scary. Also the nauseating smell with some people p!ssing on the terraces where they stood.

No regrets at the (long overdue) passing of the terraces.

hibsbollah
17-03-2010, 06:12 PM

One of my favourites this one:agree: 'ya *****' is the only expression that fits when youve just stood on an upturned plug:boo hoo:

Viva_Palmeiras
17-03-2010, 06:30 PM
One of my favourites this one:agree: 'ya *****' is the only expression that fits when youve just stood on an upturned plug:boo hoo:

Twunt. Like it, use it.

Kato
17-03-2010, 07:27 PM
No, the East terracing.

:greengrin

A mate of mine did exactly the same in the old enclosure. You can see the hankies go up for the first aiders in the video of that game. Thought you might be him. :wink:

Rory89
17-03-2010, 08:34 PM

I think I need to start using the C word less often, it's become a regular word in my vocabulary, and it's not the nicest of words. It's not usually even used as an insult anymore. It'll just be "what are ***** doing tonight", or "went home for the weekend at my mums, but the **** had no food in the fridge when I got in".

***** is a good one though.

johnrebus
17-03-2010, 09:28 PM
A mate of mine did exactly the same in the old enclosure. You can see the hankies go up for the first aiders in the video of that game. Thought you might be him. :wink:

No, I was pished. Didn't feel a thing :greengrin

Until next day..............................,

:boo hoo: