PDA

View Full Version : Former/current players that you like, against the "popular consensus"

lyonhibs
16-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Following on from the thread regarding players you didn't like whilst they were at the club, here's one for players that - despite them being crap, or at least part of a crap team - you liked seeing on the pitch for non-footballing reasons - i.e. hairstyle, personality, work ethic etc etc.

Obviously, almost everyone liked Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu, Keith Wright etc etc but who - past or present - did you like to see playing, even if folk around you/general consensus at the time was less favourable.

For me, present = John Rankin. Can have a 'mare of a game like any other player but never hides.

Past = Yannick Zambernardi. Fantastic name, fantastic hair, ludicrous long range sliding tackles and quasi-cultured thumps from left to right endeared this guy to me for some reason :greengrin

iwasthere1972
16-03-2010, 06:23 PM
I'm proposing to have a Colin Nish Appreciation Fan Club.

Past players I will have to have a bit more time.

Calvin
16-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I was a massive Zambernardi fan as well. Had an amazing knack of losing the ball, but winning it back with a top class sliding tackle.

I also didn't have a problem with Ross Chisholm.

Simkin911
16-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Tortolano. I think he suffered with a lack of confidence but was a "trier" and, I think, served the team reasonably well - often as a stop gap - over a number of years.

I also felt Hamilton suffered because of the Miller team tactics at the time and was given a hard time by some supporters. I still remember his crap penalty V Hearts however so he loses some sympathy from me over that.

Currently, Wotherspoon. If you sit anywhere near me at the match you'd think he was the worst player to grace the jersey - judging by some of the abuse dished out to him. I think he's developing into a cracking player and may be our top "asset" within the next couple of years.

heidtheba
16-03-2010, 06:47 PM
David Farrel...so far the only player who (as far as I saw) transcended above even our rivalry with Rangers...

Don't know if it was the Jorg Albertz days but big Dave got a hun free kick right in the knackers...instead of any jeering from the unwashed opponents fans there was nothing but a sharp intake of breath followed by Farrel's moans as he writhed in agony!

Great 'hard man' player

Dashing Bob S
16-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Shaun Dennis - football genius

Justin Skinner - soccer giant

The_Todd
16-03-2010, 06:51 PM
For me, present = John Rankin. Can have a 'mare of a game like any other player but never hides.

+1

TRC
16-03-2010, 06:53 PM
The tank rank rotten just loved his ability too.............eh run straight
other than that Freddie Daquin always liked him no particular reason, I can't for the life of me remember his name but the wee trinidad player we signed under Mcliesh

Diclonius
16-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Joe Keenan - thought he would've come good if he actually had a run in the team.

Michael Stewart - been over this many times before. Hasn't had a go at us at all despite being a boyhood Jambo unlike Thomson et al and always plays **** in the derby.

The_Todd
16-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Currently, Wotherspoon. If you sit anywhere near me at the match you'd think he was the worst player to grace the jersey - judging by some of the abuse dished out to him. I think he's developing into a cracking player and may be our top "asset" within the next couple of years.

Really? I've never thought the popular consensus was Spoony was an unpopular player? I've never heard any real malice aimed at him at ER.

gstarbry1875
16-03-2010, 07:03 PM
John Rankin

FraserHFC
16-03-2010, 07:08 PM
The tank rank rotten just loved his ability too.............eh run straight
other than that Freddie Daquin always liked him no particular reason, I can't for the life of me remember his name but the wee trinidad player we signed under Mcliesh

Lyndon Andrews ?

Gatecrasher
16-03-2010, 07:10 PM
Andy Mcneil

Dunkin' Donut
16-03-2010, 07:12 PM
derek townsley :agree:

Deek01
16-03-2010, 07:15 PM
antoine - curier

truehibernian
16-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Joe T :thumbsup: Like the previous poster said, he tried 100% every time he got onto the pitch, yet he suffered from the most horrendous nerves or just never got his game head on. He became (sadly) a cult type figure and a pretty ridiculed one at times, but by all accounts, all the Hibs players at the time stated that he was one of the most talented at the club. I loved him purely because at half time in the East you could pretty much guarantee watching Joe T leather a few shots into Lochend................the original and never to be beaten, headless chicken. Legend :thumbsup:

AgentDaleCooper
16-03-2010, 07:16 PM
not sure what the consensus was on him, but jay shields was class. i'll never forget the game against rangers when he had prso in his back pocket, winning every ball in the air, despite being about half as tall. loved his crunching tackles as well.

TRC
16-03-2010, 07:19 PM
Lyndon Andrews ?

Thats the one thanks mate

LaMotta
16-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Colin Harris was my hero as a young lad. Not quite sure why to be honest, and I dont even know if he was unpopular but he certainly was no Hibs legend:greengrin

From the Miller era Davie Farrell was a particular favourite as well.

GreenBlade
16-03-2010, 07:42 PM
Lot of young guys on here won't have a clue who I'm talking about but hey-ho

Favourite player I saw Mike McDonald. Couldn't catch a cold but some of his saves were amazing. Apart from that he was a bloody nice bloke and always had time for the fans. Served his apprenticeship at Stoke with Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton. Despite the tits on here who slag him off from time to time "Super Mac" was worshipped by the away support.

Ex player I never saw play but was lucky to meet? Tommy Preston who pulled our pints in St Andrews bus station on our way back to Peebles. Another smashing bloke.

The same bus station where Craig Paterson told us "Nae worries lads, I'll never sign for thae Orange @astards" Two days before he signed for Rangers :faf:

By the way Craig, remember your first game at Easter Road in a Rangers shirt. Can you remember the anger you felt at the abuse you got. Also the remark that angered you so much as you went down the tunnel at the end? Some speccy git shouted "money talks Paterson" and you and Davie Cooper turned red faced and raging. Yep big man that was me! :bye:
Of course back then I didn't understand you went for the money and who could blame you. Nah, reading the previous paragraph reminds me you were a tit right enough. Only kidding big man! :greengrin

truehibernian
16-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Craig was my next door neighbour. I think we all would have left our jobs if offered the terms he was. Good lad and loves seeing Hibs do the business.

Bayern Bru
16-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Until the latter days, I didn't mind Konte. The fact that he set up Deano's winner at Pinkcastle and put us in Europe whilst ON THE FLOOR endeared him to me.

'course, I later agreed that he was in fact, pish.

Also, Thierry Gatheussi.

GreenBlade
16-03-2010, 07:49 PM
Craig was my next door neighbour. I think we all would have left our jobs if offered the terms he was. Good lad and loves seeing Hibs do the business.

Hi true, we used to see him on the Peebles bus as he headed home to Penicuik. God I feel auld!

Pretty Boy
16-03-2010, 07:52 PM
John Rankin and Andy McNeil instantly spring to mind.

Rankin is not the best player technincally but he's a model pro, never hides and gives 110% every game. McNeil was thrown into an impossible position far too early, technically superior to Maka, just doesn't have the height to be a top class keeper.

I would say Colin Nish also but i think the general consensus is that he is a decent player and an honest pro. Theres the usual loudmouths on here who will disagree but most folk that sit near me at games and guys i talk to about football regularly tend to agree that he's decent if unspectacular.

Mag7
16-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Off the top of my head George Stewart, Dougie Bell, Neil Orr, Shaun Dennis, Paul Lovering, Mathias Jack, Freddie Arpignon.

Of the current side Stack and Nish

truehibernian
16-03-2010, 08:00 PM
Craig sold up after his move to Ibrox. Billy Kirkwood was just up the road as well. Loved playing for Hibs............never spent his wages on cutting off that disgraceful perm though. He was ridiculed over the garden fence daily over that.......he was like a white Tito Jackson :greengrin

SloopJB
16-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Ally McLeod
Erich Schaedler
Gordon Durie
Mickey Weir
Des Bremner
Jim McArthur
John Brownlee
Keith (the whizz) Houchen
Patrick Gordon Stanton

snooky
16-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Joe Keenan - thought he would've come good if he actually had a run in the team.

Michael Stewart - been over this many times before. Hasn't had a go at us at all despite being a boyhood Jambo unlike Thomson et al and always plays **** in the derby.

:agree:

bigwheel
16-03-2010, 08:27 PM

Completely Agree and Disagree on these two points...

Mikey Stewart - good player, rated him when he was with us, and still rate him now...

As for Keenan - I'm putting your views down to surely drugs or alcohol :greengrin . Must be contender for worst ever Hibs player...

Speedy
16-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Gottskalkson - He's sold me a a couple of cheap TVs and stereos, only joking but I always liked him. I was young when he played for us though so I can't remember him being that crap but I'll take everyones word for it.

Hartley - For some reason I liked Hartley when he was with us and I still like him now despite his Yam connections.

hibsbollah
16-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Maka
Konte

madabouthibs
16-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Big Maka for me. :agree:
I always want to run on and give him a big hug, he's like a big soppy dug! I reckon he'd do better if he didn't get pelters even before the game starts! :faf:

Agree on the Earlier Wotherspoon comments, I was shocked to hear some of the abuse he was getting from 2 fuds in the FF last weekend. :grr:

weedgiehibbie
16-03-2010, 08:43 PM

:agree: Same here, Townsley fan myself

keep the faith
16-03-2010, 08:51 PM

Mikey Stewart - good player, rated him when he was with us, and still rate him now...

As for Keenan - I'm putting your views down to surely drugs or alcohol :greengrin . Must be contender for worst ever Hibs player...

Agree with your comments on Stewart. I would even have him back :duck:

As for Keenan, he will never be the worst Hibs player ever as long as the words "OBrien" and "Alan" exist!!!!

Diclonius
16-03-2010, 09:04 PM

Nope mate, totally sober. :greengrin I thought he was a technically decent if unspectacular midfielder and by no means as bad as some of the ***** that season. He did well at first but faded and we were probably right to release him.

Hibee_Rab
16-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Alan Obrien. I love players with not just pace, but full on ****ing speed! He never seemed able to use it tho, unlike a certain mr sproule

millarco
16-03-2010, 09:22 PM
Following on from the thread regarding players you didn't like whilst they were at the club, here's one for players that - despite them being crap, or at least part of a crap team - you liked seeing on the pitch for non-footballing reasons - i.e. hairstyle, personality, work ethic etc etc.

Obviously, almost everyone liked Sauzee, Latapy, Mixu, Keith Wright etc etc but who - past or present - did you like to see playing, even if folk around you/general consensus at the time was less favourable.

Past = Yannick Zambernardi. Fantastic name, fantastic hair, ludicrous long range sliding tackles and quasi-cultured thumps from left to right endeared this guy to me for some reason :greengrin

Where do I start? Maka's the favourite, can never stay mad at him for too long. Got a soft spot for Thicot as well, always gutted for him when the Deeko chants start and he thinks they're for him.

Zambernardi's a good shout, and I also quite liked Paul Fenwick, Lyndon Andrews, HKT(:devil:) and Chisholm.

weecounty hibby
16-03-2010, 09:25 PM
I liked Brian Hamilton and thought he got a lot of unfair stick. Agree with all the above about Joe T. 100% every time he pulled on that jersey and an absolute gent into the bargain. Always attended the Alloa HSC POTY dance and would chat all night. Also can't believe someone said they didn't like Ally McLeod on the other thread, my first real Hibs hero and a genius on his day.

Betty Boop
16-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Tam McManus.

Gatecrasher
16-03-2010, 09:27 PM
i am also a bit of rankin and nish fan as well from our current crop of stars :agree:

brydekirk
16-03-2010, 09:29 PM
zambernardi, hartley and orman.

Ginger Gehagan
16-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Barry Lavety and david farrell

Gatecrasher
16-03-2010, 09:41 PM
Barry Lavety and david farrell

Basher! :thumbsup:

i have fond memories of that strike in the last minute v morton in the opening game of the season in div 1

thebakerboy
16-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Always felt Joe T was ruined by Miller , remember him as a sub one game at half time in front of the old cowshed hitting cross after cross over sub keepers head into net at far post until it was noticed and cheers went up , he couldnt get it near the goal then. Another favourite ( for the real old timers ) Stan Vincent rubbish player but what a trier.:greengrin:greengrin:greengrin

Andy74
16-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Just about every pish player we've ever had I've had a soft spot for.

Special mentions for Holsgrove, Wiss, Hurtado, Konte and O'Brien.

Sir David Gray
16-03-2010, 10:29 PM
Colin Nish and Ivan Sproule.

Sproule is less appropriate for this thread than Nish but there were a few who didn't take to him and he is one of my most favourite players of all time.

As for Nish, I think he is one of the most under-rated players that we have had in recent years.

Aubenas
16-03-2010, 10:36 PM
Alan O'Brien - saw him at Stirling Albion friendly and he was awesome.....
Justin Skinner
Brian Hamilton
Zambernardi
Barry Prendeville
:embarrass

Good job I don't pick the team.......

Jonnyboy
16-03-2010, 10:39 PM
Can I cheat and mention a manager?

Big Eck :offski:

Players .....

Joe T
Tam McManus

As for Zambernardi I can't ever forgive him for his part in the 4-4 draw at Tynie :grr:

Frogga
16-03-2010, 10:48 PM
David Van Zanten.

Didn't think he was great but I thought it was stupid of Hughes to give in to fan pressure and bin him when the only other options we had were McCann (who'd been out for years), McCormack (an inexperienced CB, who I don't rate at RB at all) and Wotherspoon (an inexperienced MIDFIELDER).

I also liked Antoine-Curier. He gave his all for the shirt and seemed to really love playing for Hibs.

jacomo
16-03-2010, 10:48 PM
I think Yves Makalamby is the business.

Peevemor
16-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Joe T - A good winger and superb crosser of the ball.

Paul Hartley and Stevie Crawford - things didn't really work out for either of them at Hibs and they moved on quietly, but both were decent, hard working players when they were at ER.

Brian Hamilton - suffered because of the high transfer fee we paid for him (which wasn't his fault) and a lot of fans dislike of Alex Miller.

Tam McManus - gallus as anything with a fair bit of skill too. The game would be boring without characters like that.

Jones28
16-03-2010, 10:59 PM
John Rankin
:agree:

Ed De Gramo
16-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Hogg, Nish & Rankin, I think the raw deal they get on here is out of order :agree:

As for previous players: Sauzee, Latapy, O'Neill, Pat McGinley & Matty Jack

Peevemor
16-03-2010, 11:36 PM
Hogg, Nish & Rankin, I think the raw deal they get on here is out of order :agree:

As for previous players: Sauzee, Latapy, O'Neill, Pat McGinley & Matty Jack

:Ummm:

Ed De Gramo
16-03-2010, 11:38 PM
:Ummm:

never read the question haha

HibbyAndy
16-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Pat Mcginley.

Tell me another free goalscoring midfielder for Hibs that was consistent.

Should have been capped for Scotland instead of his solitary pathetic 'B' cap.

Mixu62
17-03-2010, 12:18 AM
Tony Rougier. Often accused of being a headless chicken, but when it came off, it was great.

And someone mentioned Pat McGinlay. He was 'tics top scorer in is season with them and we made money on him.

Danny Lennon - would have been 1st choice for right wing/midfield if we didn't have Mickey Weir and Kevin McAllister at the same time. Went on to be Raith captain and their fans loved him.

Vini1875
17-03-2010, 01:01 AM
Chris Hogg he is the epitome of hard work will win over talent. He just seems to me to be a guy who won't quit.

Dunbar Hibee
17-03-2010, 01:21 AM
Rankin and Nish. Rate them both very highly! Konte as well, didn't rate him just kind of felt sorry for him.:greengrin

rainman
17-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Can I cheat and mention a manager?

Big Eck :offski:

Players .....

Joe T
Tam McManus

As for Zambernardi I can't ever forgive him for his part in the 4-4 draw at Tynie :grr:

I agree with Big Eck.

Unbelievably, he's still underrated and his success put down to luck. He has worked wonders at every club he's been at.

Still like Mikey Stewart and think he could still be doing a job for us.

Booked4Being-Ugly
17-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Tony Rougier. Often accused of being a headless chicken, but when it came off, it was great.

And someone mentioned Pat McGinlay. He was 'tics top scorer in is season with them and we made money on him.

Danny Lennon - would have been 1st choice for right wing/midfield if we didn't have Mickey Weir and Kevin McAllister at the same time. Went on to be Raith captain and their fans loved him.Pat was a Hibs hero, what makes you think he was unpopular amongst the Hibs support. I don't even remember Pat getting pelters for going to Celtic either at the time?

Anyway, Super Joe for me was immense when i was a youngster. We could probably do with someone like him in the current team whipping in those crosses. I appreciate i may have a nostalgic/romantic viewpoint but that's what watching Hibs is all about.

Peevemor
17-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Pat was a Hibs hero, what makes you think he was unpopular amongst the Hibs support. I don't even remember Pat getting pelters for going to Celtic either at the time?

There was definitely a fair number of 'supporters' who turned on McGinlay during his second spell.

Personally I never understood why.

Holmesdale Hibs
17-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Defnitely agree with Nish and Rankin to a lesser extent.

Brain Kerr - wasn't the most technically gifted player to grace Easter Road but was a trier and never moaned about Hibs after he left despite the over-the-top abuse he got.

Ginger Gehagan
17-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Basher! :thumbsup:

i have fond memories of that strike in the last minute v morton in the opening game of the season in div 1

That was my only proper celebration on terracing, ended up 20 feet away from where I was before the goal:thumbsup:

number 27
17-03-2010, 09:51 AM
Another one for Townsley here.

johnrebus
17-03-2010, 09:53 AM
That was my only proper celebration on terracing, ended up 20 feet away from where I was before the goal:thumbsup:

Remember it well.

It had been a terrible, terrible game and when that strike went it in I lost my mobile phone in the celebrations afterwards.

Eventually found it when the match had finished about twenty yards away.

I feel another standing thread coming on.............,

:duck:

hibsbollah
17-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Brain Kerr - wasn't the most technically gifted player to grace Easter Road but was a trier

Did a lot of 'unseen work'.

heretoday
17-03-2010, 10:35 AM
Stewart Beedie, Ally Scott, Tommy McIntyre, Bobby Hutchinson....you all took a Helluva slagging! Now take a bow!

Keith_M
17-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Current: John Rankin.

- Underrated superstar of the current team.

Former: Alen Orman.

- Genius who's work was never fully appreciated and who went on to greatness in the German 3rd division.

jgl07
17-03-2010, 05:41 PM
There was definitely a fair number of 'supporters' who turned on McGinlay during his second spell.

Personally I never understood why.
Probably because of Passenger Pat's ability to don a cloak of invisibility and vanish. I never turned on him but he certainly failed to pull his weight in midfield in a lot of matches.

Brian Hamilton. Now there was a player who was unjustly maligned.

That was until he jumped ship to the Yams when he deserved everything he got.

mattyjacklegend
17-03-2010, 05:53 PM

Yeah I was a fan of his, especially when he scored a double at fir park!

Also I thought Paul nDalglish could have done a shift for us. Scored quite a few goals in limited apperances.

hibee_girl
17-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Nish, Rankin, Hogg, Maka from the current lot

McManus, Van Zanten and Lovell from the past

heidtheba
17-03-2010, 06:08 PM

Danny Lennon - would have been 1st choice for right wing/midfield if we didn't have Mickey Weir and Kevin McAllister at the same time. Went on to be Raith captain and their fans loved him.

I agree with Lennon too - saw him play a blinder against Aberdeen and it was like having 2 Crunchies in the same team. I seem to remember a rumour at the time that he went to Raith as some possible sweetner for a deal for Peter Hetherston (sp?) but he ended up going to Aberdeen...