PDA

View Full Version : Should Chris Hogg be dropped again

KiddA
16-03-2010, 04:51 AM
Should Chris Hogg be dropped again or not.

After reading a lot of other threads about line ups for the derby I do not see Hoggs name in a lot of fans line ups.

I have only heard from friends and my old man how he is playing and they said he is hot and cold but never a captain in a million years.

Thoughts please fellow Hibbys.

Really just want to know what all the fans think about Chris Hogg and if he is worthy of being the leader of our team.

joejoefaemexico
16-03-2010, 06:24 AM
should be dropped. his consistency is amazing, NEVER finds a hibs man with his pishy wee floated balls to ther general direction of our forward line. NEVER wins a physical battle with a striker. if i didnt have to go to work i would continue......... the guy is a joke, could find dozens of big strikers in junior football that would playing against him. the laddie is soft as s**t.

brydekirk
16-03-2010, 06:36 AM

After reading a lot of other threads about line ups for the derby I do not see Hoggs name in a lot of fans line ups.

I have only heard from friends and my old man how he is playing and they said he is hot and cold but never a captain in a million years.

Really just want to know what all the fans think about Chris Hogg and if he is worthy of being the leader of our team.
i dont think hogg should be captain, but its not the time for these kind of changes. we are fragile enough at the minuite.

sahib
16-03-2010, 07:23 AM

I think the captains role is overstated. You have a manager and assistant barking out orders from the touch line. It is signifiant that Hogg looks bad when the team looks bad. The simplistic interpretation is that Hogg's performance is a major reason for the poor display. I suspect that much of the reason he looks bad is because the ball ends up at his feet with no real options in front of him, on these occasions.

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2010, 08:04 AM
i dont think hogg should be captain, but its not the time for these kind of changes. we are fragile enough at the minuite.

I agree - I'm not his biggest fan (never have been even in his POTY heyday) but to make a change like this at this time of the season could be a big mistake.

Hibby Cam
16-03-2010, 08:53 AM
and would we replace him with a player who screams abuse at fans who question their commitment............... this is only a question, thoughts please. (before the abuse - i am a big Muray fan and dont question his commitment to the club)

i agree with the poster who said that the captains role is overrated, we have a manager and and a coach barking orders all through the game (as well as the fans), and a manager who hides in the dugout when the sh*t hits the fan as he did on saturday a few times.

would we be calling for a new captain again if we were strolling for 3rd and poss challenging for 2nd plus comfortably in the semi's........... again only a question looking for thoughts, or is the .net divided on this issue.

Andy74
16-03-2010, 09:32 AM
I think it's time to give Bamba and Hanlon a go.

No need to change the captaincy of the club right now though, the role is about more than playing well and I gather he does a good job overall of being club captain.

MB62
16-03-2010, 09:50 AM

No need to change the captaincy of the club right now though, the role is about more than playing well and I gather he does a good job overall of being club captain.

So where would you play Hogg?

MountcastleHibs
16-03-2010, 09:52 AM

:bitchy: We did. In Perth. Remember how that one turned out?

andrew70
16-03-2010, 09:58 AM
:bitchy: We did. In Perth. Remember how that one turned out?

:agree: but IIRC a lot of the goals came from down our right hand side where Hogg was playing and the fact bamba got dragged all over the place by Sheridan. IMO Hanlon shouldn't be dropped again and I'd far rather see Bamba alongside him than Hogg with McCormack at Right back and Murray at Left back.

Dont want to digress from the OP but does anyone know the situation with Darren McCormack given he's been charged with Drink Driving etc is he involved with the first team or not??

Andy74
16-03-2010, 10:01 AM

After the last few weeks I wouldn't be playing him.

Club captain can be different from being captain on the day.

MountcastleHibs
16-03-2010, 10:05 AM
:agree: but IIRC a lot of the goals came from down our right hand side where Hogg was playing and the fact bamba got dragged all over the place by Sheridan. IMO Hanlon shouldn't be dropped again and I'd far rather see Bamba alongside him than Hogg with McCormack at Right back and Murray at Left back.

Dont want to digress from the OP but does anyone know the situation with Darren McCormack given he's been charged with Drink Driving etc is he involved with the first team or not??

Fair point, but just remember he isn't a right back :wink:. For me there is no better player at making last ditch tackles than Chris Hogg. We would've conceded so many more goals if it wasn't for him.

I would keep it as it is, Hanlon looks confident and more sure of himself at CB, and we NEED Bamba in the midfield. Someone with a bit of strength, height and a decent passer.

Sudds_1
16-03-2010, 10:09 AM
FWIW, I think the lads confidence is shot just now.........

......last time I think he benefitted from a wee rest. I think he would again. :agree:

andrew70
16-03-2010, 10:20 AM
Fair point, but just remember he isn't a right back :wink:. For me there is no better player at making last ditch tackles than Chris Hogg. We would've conceded so many more goals if it wasn't for him.

I would keep it as it is, Hanlon looks confident and more sure of himself at CB, and we NEED Bamba in the midfield. Someone with a bit of strength, height and a decent passer.

:agree: with the bits in bold. Bamba in midfield would provide some much need steel alongside Miller and McBride and could provide the platform for Zemamma in a free role behind Deek and Stokes up front?

I know Hogg ain't a right back but that was Yogi's mistake and he owned up to that and hopefully he can see whats going in terms of the overrun midfield and sort it out. With your suggestion of Bamba going in there being a good one.

MountcastleHibs
16-03-2010, 10:23 AM
:agree: with the bits in bold. Bamba in midfield would provide some much need steel alongside Miller and McBride and could provide the platform for Zemamma in a free role behind Deek and Stokes up front?

I know Hogg ain't a right back but that was Yogi's mistake and he owned up to that and hopefully he can see whats going in terms of the overrun midfield and sort it out. With your suggestion of Bamba going in there being a good one.

The problem is, we've been overrun in midfield for the best part of half a season now. Yogi still either hasn't recognised this problem, or more likely, doesn't want to change it because he thinks our front line will bail us out.

But when times are tough, you need a solid, structured midfield, which has been sorely lacking in recent times. Hopefully, he'll play 4 in midfield on Saturday, and not 2 or 3 Oompa Loompa's. Knowing Yogi though, it'll be the same team that played on Saturday, with the exception of Benji replacing Nish.

Anyway, back to OP. Sorry to digress.

Viva_Palmeiras
16-03-2010, 12:20 PM

Good questions ahead of a Derby :thumbsup::notworthy:

Hibby 2005
16-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Could do a lot worse than put Hogg at RB and play the Bamba/Hanlon partnership in the middle of the defence with Murray LB and Wotherspoon where he should be, midfield. Miller, McBride and Rankin can make up the rest of the midfield as we'll need workers against Hearts. Up front, Deeks and Stokes which will never happen but one can dream.

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Could do a lot worse than put Hogg at RB and play the Bamba/Hanlon partnership in the middle of the defence with Murray LB

Could we? 5-1 at St Johnstone says different.

truehibernian
16-03-2010, 12:46 PM
I would put Murray in midfield, Stevenson at left back, and add McCormack on the right, shuffling DW into right midfield. They will I think play with Templeton on the right, who is quite young and pacey, so Stevenson could match that pace. McCormack can come back in and cover Driver, if he plays, who is not exactly match fit. I also think they will play Obua against our right back (if Driver is not fit), so a wee bit height would be better in that position. Murray is a better combative player in midfield than Bamba, who for me is a better centre half.

Stack/Smith

McCormack Bamba Hanlon Stevenson

DW McBride Murray Miller

Stokes Riordan

Miller and DW could be interchangeable depending on what change they are getting from Wallace and Thomson. Stevenson for some reason also raises his game at Tynie.

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Stack/Smith

McCormack Bamba Hanlon Stevenson

DW McBride Murray Miller

Stokes Riordan

Stevenson for some reason also raises his game at Tynie.

I wouldn't want to waste Miller on the left of midfield and Murray is a big loss when he's not at LM.

I do agree about Stevenson though - he seems to play his best against Hearts at Tiny, he's our equivalent to Mikey Stewart - doesn't create much, puts in borderline leg-break tackles and niggles all day.

I'd go:

Stack
Thicot Hanlon Hogg Murray
Wotherspoon McBride Bamba Miller Riordan
Stokes

truehibernian
16-03-2010, 12:57 PM
My reasoning behind Miller on the left is that DW when played on the right, loves to cut infield, onto his right and through the middle. Ideal for Riordan. Miller, likewise, loves to cut infield, looking for balls through the centre to feed through to the front guys. We don't play with much width, so you could change the two depending on how they are faring. You could also put Murray on left mid if it wasn't working.

matty_f
16-03-2010, 01:53 PM
I wouldn't want to waste Miller on the left of midfield and Murray is a big loss when he's not at LM.

I do agree about Stevenson though - he seems to play his best against Hearts at Tiny, he's our equivalent to Mikey Stewart - doesn't create much, puts in borderline leg-break tackles and niggles all day.

I'd go:

Stack
Thicot Hanlon Hogg Murray
Wotherspoon McBride Bamba Miller Riordan

Stokes

Agree with the bit in bold, in fact - in the last derby of last season, Stevenson out-Stewarted Stewart, as he was more effective doing the same role.

smurf
16-03-2010, 02:06 PM

Agreed on your two points, but at the end of the season.... :bye:

borstalboy
16-03-2010, 02:14 PM
I think this would be easily sorted if we weren't so exposed at the back. After watching Hibs the past couple of weeks we are so lop sided with Derek playing on the left and no one on the right. As long as that remains it wont make a difference who plays at the back. :grr:

Keep the defence the same as Saturday and play Bamba in the middle of the park, give us a bit of dig and a bit of bite. IMHO.

We must line up with a 4 or 5 in midfield!!!!!!!!! Or they will bully us as usual!

hibee4life1983
16-03-2010, 02:15 PM
In a nutshell, Yes, think he needs to get himself together, looks a shadow of the player he promised to be last season, I also think he should lose the captaincy to Murray at the end of the season, Yogi made a Boo Boo making him captain.

Jonnyboy
16-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Could do a lot worse than put Hogg at RB and play the Bamba/Hanlon partnership in the middle of the defence with Murray LB and Wotherspoon where he should be, midfield. Miller, McBride and Rankin can make up the rest of the midfield as we'll need workers against Hearts. Up front, Deeks and Stokes which will never happen but one can dream.

God forbid :bitchy:

Jones28
16-03-2010, 05:11 PM

Left Back

...on the benchy:greengrin

I'll get ma coat

Leith Green
16-03-2010, 05:41 PM
Although he may have a good attitude and be an excellent trainer, he doesnt cut the mustard for me, I dont think he is anywhere near good enough to be a regular starter for Hibernian,let alone be 1st team captain.

In my opinion he still lives off the back of the only good season he had which was 07/08, he is as bad, if not worse now than he was before that period,and lets face it he had regular howlers back then.

Aldo
16-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Sorry but if you drop Hogg then you should be dropping Bamba.

We have an excellent CH in Hanlon who should get a start before both of them however I would play all 3 on sat in a back 3 and 5 in the middle.

In a word NO.

TRC
16-03-2010, 06:26 PM
Take captaincy away and the pressures gone hopefully and well have hoggenbauer back:thumbsup:

madabouthibs
16-03-2010, 07:46 PM
At a push take the armband off him, but I wouldn't drop him.
The eason Hogg sees so much of the ball is due to our **** midfield. Everything comes through it, and then we punt it over it.
Get Bamba in there, he's a bombscare in defence.
Murray-----Hogg----Hanlon----anyone but Spoony! :agree:

madabouthibs
16-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I'd drop hoggy and shoggy and stacka maka prvaka spenny spoony murray furry messi beckham, he's *****. and lampard, tool. missing most of the time and yogi and stogi and riordan and bobby charlton and my cat and the sink and peppermint rankin nish millar jedward and bmw

do it petrie.
it's .netted

Overreaction me thinks. :greengrin

500miles
16-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I'm not convinced the problem lies with Hogg. Movement from midfield has been poor, and I think that McBride is a bit of a protected species on here. I'm honestly a big fan of his, and he has no doubt proven the Falkirk fans wrong, but since his return to the team he hasn't offered himself as an option in the same way, and he's not covering the fullbacks as well. These floated balls that Hogg is getting criticised for seem to be the only safe option at his disposal sometimes - Hanlon and Wotherspoon both gave away possession in dangerous areas last week trying to pass it out of defence.

For me, people are forgetful about how good Hogg has been for us before (POTY, "Mr Consistancy"), and even his relative youth. On his right hand side he has young Wotherspoon, and to his left he has Hanlon, another youngster who needs guided through the game, or Bamba, who apparently needs to be driven on by his goalkeeper. I think Hogg has his work cut out, and we'll have to be patient to allow him to grow into his role. He certainly has the dedication, and, for me, the defensive ability.

Ken
16-03-2010, 11:08 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon Hogg Hanlon Murray

....................Bamba
...............Miller McBride
.................Zemamma

...............Stokes Deek

Easy to switch to a 3-5-2, 5-3-2 depending on how the game is going :agree:

Expecting Rain
17-03-2010, 09:04 AM
This thread could reach 25,000 hits and we could have a new manager before folk realise that Hogg just hasn`t got it, some of the excuses offered for his lack of ability compare with those who blindly followed Alan O`Brien. The captaincy is too much for him let`s expand on this, his responsibility is good for being first to turn up at training and that he is a nice person who commands respect, i`m sure he does as a personality, once we cross the line his captain like role is to blame whoever is at fault for the goals we concede even when it is his fault, he has no positional sense and is only really comfortable when he is ushering the ball out for a goal kick or winning the odd header or slide tackle between the edge of the box and the halfway line, he basically doesn`t think quick enough and physically he is nowhere near quick enough nor shows the desire to prevent scoring opportunities especially in the box, he tries to overcome this and fools some in the process by pretending to show composure. Ask yourself this why do the opposition allow him so much time on the ball and why do the opposition let him take the ball from the keeper and hardly make the effort to close him down? If Hogg is percieved to be the main defender then we`ll continue to lose games we shouldn`t and in a manner we shouldn`t, the young laddie Hanlon showed him what commitment and responsibility means on saturday and that is the saddest part.

Judas Iscariot
17-03-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread could reach 25,000 hits and we could have a new manager before folk realise that Hogg just hasn`t got it, some of the excuses offered for his lack of ability compare with those who blindly followed Alan O`Brien. The captaincy is too much for him let`s expand on this, his responsibility is good for being first to turn up at training and that he is a nice person who commands respect, i`m sure he does as a personality, once we cross the line his captain like role is to blame whoever is at fault for the goals we concede even when it is his fault, he has no positional sense and is only really comfortable when he is ushering the ball out for a goal kick or winning the odd header or slide tackle between the edge of the box and the halfway line, he basically doesn`t think quick enough and physically he is nowhere near quick enough nor shows the desire to prevent scoring opportunities especially in the box, he tries to overcome this and fools some in the process by pretending to show composure. Ask yourself this why do the opposition allow him so much time on the ball and why do the opposition let him take the ball from the keeper and hardly make the effort to close him down? If Hogg is percieved to be the main defender then we`ll continue to lose games we shouldn`t and in a manner we shouldn`t, the young laddie Hanlon showed him what commitment and responsibility means on saturday and that is the saddest part.

100% Spot on :agree:

:top marks

Eganov
17-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Sorry but if you drop Hogg then you should be dropping Bamba.

We have an excellent CH in Hanlon who should get a start before both of them however I would play all 3 on sat in a back 3 and 5 in the middle.

In a word NO.

- ----------------------------Stack
-------------------------------------------------------
----------------Hogg(RCH)--Bamba(CH)--Hanlon(LCH)
----------------------------McBride (DM)
---------Wotherspoon (WB)------------------Murray (WB)
-----------------------Miller (RAM)--Riordan (LAM)
----------------------------------Benji (SS)
---------------------------Stokes (CF)

Looks pretty good I think. Can change to a back 5/6 from back 3 very quickly. Gives Spooney and Murray a bit of freedom to go running providing McBride covers. Moves Riordan closer to the middle though, not sure if that's where his strength is though. (change for Zemmamma possibly)

truehibernian
17-03-2010, 09:25 AM
I always think that you have to give the captaincy to players who have seen it and done it, and also players who take losing very badly. The only candidates in our current side I would say are Bamba, Miller and Murray. McBride would be a good choice but his injury prone season doesn't help. Your captain should not only be a player that is respected on the pitch but feared. At no time whatsoever this season (or any) has Hogg shown that he leads by example, inspires the troops, gets spirits and heads lifted in adversity. It's other's who have done that when the chips have been down, notably Murray and McBride IMO. Hogg needs to concentrate fully on his own game at the moment and not have the captaincy as another added pressure. The basics of his game are all wrong. His positional sense is poor when on the back foot, he is the worst I have ever seen for taking an eternity to get rid of the ball (getting closed down unnecessarily too many times of late), and he, like DW lately, has been prone to playing long balls into nobody. DW has the very valid excuse that he is not and never has been a full back until thrust in that role this season. I was incredulous that Yogi also played Hogg at full back. I am sure that he is a good pro, hard worker, and one of the players Yogi wants his youngsters to follow by example lifestyle wise..............but sorry Yogi, he is not a top level footballer mate. Journeyman at best IMO.

down the slope
17-03-2010, 09:41 AM

Well put, also why if he is so good no one else has offered a bean for him in the years he has been with us, i bet the opposition are delighted to se his name on the team sheet.

Allant1981
17-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Well put, also why if he is so good no one else has offered a bean for him in the years he has been with us, i bet the opposition are delighted to se his name on the team sheet.

What a load of crap these comments are, no one came in and bought larsson from celtic when he was in scotland, does this mean he wasnt a good player, or goram from rangers when he was at his peak. You could say the same for guys like giggs etc down south

seanraff07
17-03-2010, 08:46 PM
Keep him in side but give the captaincy to Ian Murray.:greengrin
At the moment i'd rather keep Bamba out the side than Hogg.:agree:

mully_bear
17-03-2010, 10:07 PM
What a load of crap these comments are, no one came in and bought larsson from celtic when he was in scotland, does this mean he wasnt a good player, or goram from rangers when he was at his peak. You could say the same for guys like giggs etc down south
Goram i agree with but giggs?? what clubs would he want to leave for ? If giggs had came out and said i want to try playing in spain or italy all the big clubs would of been trying to sign him.

Danderhall Hibs
18-03-2010, 07:40 AM

Are you comparing Giggs, Goram and Larsson with Chris Hogg?

hfc rd
18-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Hogg should be dropped. He has been very inconsistent this season and doesn't look like the same player he was a few seasons ago.

dannythehibee
18-03-2010, 03:19 PM
Hogg for me is far too inconsistent, every time paul hanlon has come on the park he has shown chris hogg how to defend. Ian Murray should be our captain as he seems to take losing a lot worse than hogg, you never see hogg opening his mouth and shouting at the players getting them to lift their heads if we are behind in a game IMO murray has to be captain. Everytime hogg gets the ball all he tries to do is hoof the ball up the park to no avail and the opposition just come right back at hibs and we cant get out of our own half. Our midfield has been ok at times but again like last season is becoming more and more non existent as these long hoof balls just miss them out completely and playing 3 small midfielders in the middle does not help as we are always bullied in the middle.

seanraff07
18-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Hogg should be dropped. He has been very inconsistent this season and doesn't look like the same player he was a few seasons ago.

It appears as if their is pressure put on whover has the captaincy, Thomson bottled it a couple of years ago aswell.