PDA

View Full Version : Hibs will be in Europe next season (ed: maybe)

Ken
15-03-2010, 12:37 PM
Here's how:

I am 99% confident that none of the 1st division teams, still in the Scottish Cup, will get to the final, therefore the final will be made up of Rangers/Celtic/Dundee Utd and Hibs.

I'm also 99% confident that Hibs and Dundee Utd will both finish in the top 5, meaning that the top 5 teams in the league will all be in Europe next season. :agree:

Andy74
15-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Here's how:

I am 99% confident that none of the 1st division teams, still in the Scottish Cup, will get to the final, therefore the final will be made up of Rangers/Celtic/Dundee Utd and Hibs.

I'm also 99% confident that Hibs and Dundee Utd will both finish in the top 5, meaning that the top 5 teams in the league will all be in Europe next season. :agree:

I think you are right, I'd like us to get the easiest route to the proper tourney though so 3rd would be a bonus.

We do need to take care of Dundee Utd and Motherwell when we play them next. Those teams we have ripped apart at times this year, such a pity we couldn't have made more out of the Utd game at home in particular and clung on with the ten men at Fir Park (or kept the 11 men we rightfully should have had).

PiemanP
15-03-2010, 01:01 PM
If you get the 5th place spot though you start somewhere in the middle of June, and get the novelty of playing some estonian fishermen who will likely pump us...

3rd place is a must!

iwasthere1972
15-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Here's how:

Seeing as the team who are presently in 6th place aren't even guaranteed to be in the top 6 I would go along with your prediction.

I would still like us to be chasing that 3rd spot for an easier Europa Cup route.

IWasThere2016
15-03-2010, 01:05 PM
Here's how:

:thumbsup:

If you get the 5th place spot though you start somewhere in the middle of June, and get the novelty of playing some estonian fishermen who will likely pump us...

3rd place is a must!

:faf:

davemcbain
15-03-2010, 01:27 PM

As long as we beat the Lithuanian pub team on Saturday, other Baltic part timers should give us nowt to worry about.

steakbake
15-03-2010, 01:55 PM
Here's how:

Ken - off topic, I know, but is that David Essex in your avatar?

TornadoHibby
15-03-2010, 01:58 PM

:faf: :faf:

AFKA5814_Hibs
15-03-2010, 02:50 PM

It's Dev the Hibby. :wink:

YouTube - Coronation Street 20090105-Hibernian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMTOZ2o0F4)

iwasthere1972
15-03-2010, 02:57 PM

YouTube - Coronation Street 20090105-Hibernian (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWMTOZ2o0F4)

He sells pegs in his corner shop. :agree:

crewetollhibee
15-03-2010, 02:57 PM

Christ, we lost that day too !!!!!

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2010, 03:00 PM
5th is an Intertwobob type qualification - Europa in name only. 3rd please.

WestEndHibee
15-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Here's how:

Finally we have something positive! I'm as bad as everyone for getting depressed over the current state of the team. Cheers mate this is a good lift! new target: 5th??? :devil:

Hibernia Na Eir
15-03-2010, 03:09 PM
finishing 5th and qualifying for Europe would be rubbish

Not sure if i'd want to go to the Baltics or otherwise in June.

Cant see Hibs finishing 3rd now. Arabs look far stronger than us.

PaulSmith
15-03-2010, 03:15 PM

Proof that you can never please everyone all of the time, we've qualified into Europe what 4 or 5 times in 25 years and here we have someone on posting on how it would be rubbish to qualify this year.

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Proof that you can never please everyone all of the time, we've qualified into Europe what 4 or 5 times in 25 years and here we have someone on posting on how it would be rubbish to qualify this year.

You couldnae make this up.:bitchy:

bubblesmorrison
15-03-2010, 08:05 PM
its getting a joke how much people are pritty much willing hibs to get beat on here just so they can say i told you so. tell you what why dont you just go and support a team who finishing mid table every year and be happy with that :bye:

clerriehibs
15-03-2010, 08:17 PM

Think it was pretty obvious he meant rubbish in comparison to finishing 3rd or 4th, rather than not qualifying at all.

PaulSmith
15-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Think it was pretty obvious he meant rubbish in comparison to finishing 3rd or 4th, rather than not qualifying at all.

I don't think that using the term 'rubbish' and Hibs qualifying for Europe should be in the same sentence but reading it back I get what you mean

blackhibee
15-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Alternatively, you can still be rubbish and qualify for Europe.

patlowe
15-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Although I'd be happy for hibs to qualify in 5th, it's amazing how the simple rebranding of the intertoto cup as 'qualifying rounds' has made it that bit more desirable.

p=sh
16-03-2010, 03:19 PM

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/calendar2010.html
games would be 15th and 22nd July if we finished 5th and got in as last Scottish Europa Cup entrant.

MacBean
16-03-2010, 03:27 PM
IIRC the CUP WINNERS get the most advanced stage (e.g. 3rd QR), however if it is the cup runners up they get the least advanced stage (e.g. 1st QR).

In the case that it is the runners up who get the European spot then 3rd Gets the most the advanced place and then 4th and then the runner up.

this is also the case if the runner up and winners finish 1st-4th in the league.

Keith_M
16-03-2010, 04:10 PM
IIRC the CUP WINNERS get the most advanced stage (e.g. 3rd QR)

That'll do me!!

Now, if somebody could maybe mention that to the team in time for the replay

:wink:

Dunkin' Donut
16-03-2010, 08:45 PM
is it defo correct that 5th is enough for a place in europe? i thought top 2 got champions league and 3rd and 4th got europa league. scotland lost co-efficient points this year and im sure it means there is one less place in europe next season, anyone got any ideas? :confused:

jgl07
16-03-2010, 09:56 PM
But qualifying in Fifth place is much the same as the Inter Toto Cup.

But went in whan practically no other club wanted it.

Sir David Gray
17-03-2010, 12:35 AM
is it defo correct that 5th is enough for a place in europe? i thought top 2 got champions league and 3rd and 4th got europa league. scotland lost co-efficient points this year and im sure it means there is one less place in europe next season, anyone got any ideas? :confused:

We lose a Champions League place from season 2011/12 but still keep the same amount of Europa League places. For next season we still have two Champions League places and 3rd, 4th and Scottish Cup winners qualify for Europa League.

So from 11/12, 2nd, 3rd and Scottish Cup winners will likely qualify for the Europa League and 4th place will qualify if the Scottish Cup finalists have both finished in the top three of the SPL and have subsequently qualified for Europe already.

Hope that's clear!

Dunkin' Donut
17-03-2010, 03:56 PM
We lose a Champions League place from season 2011/12 but still keep the same amount of Europa League places. For next season we still have two Champions League places and 3rd, 4th and Scottish Cup winners qualify for Europa League.

So from 11/12, 2nd, 3rd and Scottish Cup winners will likely qualify for the Europa League and 4th place will qualify if the Scottish Cup finalists have both finished in the top three of the SPL and have subsequently qualified for Europe already.

Hope that's clear!

:agree: aye that clears it up cheers.

Leith Green
17-03-2010, 04:08 PM

Finishing fifth doesnt qualify you to play in europe..
It enters you into the Europa League qualifiers .. Much in the same way as Hearts didnt actually qualify to play in the Champions league..

Dashing Bob S
17-03-2010, 04:15 PM
3rd, 4th or 5th...it's all so tiresome to consider. We should be like the mingers in maroon, and not have to wrestle with such trivial affairs.

As for this unforgivably dull Scottish Cup business...

Speedy
17-03-2010, 04:24 PM
Finishing fifth doesnt qualify you to play in europe..
It enters you into the Europa League qualifiers .. Much in the same way as Hearts didnt actually qualify to play in the Champions league..

Nobody from Scotland qualifies for Europe then :wink:

seanraff07
17-03-2010, 09:03 PM
I think we'll finish 3rd or 4th, not so sure about the Scottish Cup i'm afraid.:bitchy: