PDA

View Full Version : NHC Beckham & England

Baldy
14-03-2010, 09:54 PM
... Beckham out for at least 9 months, possibly for good, torn achillies..

aww shame I really thought they wer gonna win the World cup as well .......

not

bringbackjoeT!!
14-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Really gutted for the guy, although he is english i have nothing but respect for the him and think he conducts himself with a lot of class and is a good role model for kids, model pro and sounds as if he works so hard to perfect his game. He is one of the few british players to make the brave move to go and play abroad and learn new cultures and styles of football and seems to be respected and adored wherever he goes. Think he deserved one last swansong at the World Cup, just not in the winning side

Hibs On Tour
14-03-2010, 10:04 PM
To be fair, they'll at least have some hope of winning it as opposed to this kind of small-minded parochialism who can merely wish for the days when they last even come close to qualifying for it eh? :devil:

For the record, I'm a Scot who supports ALL the British teams when they are playing...

WeAreHibs
14-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Really gutted for the guy, although he is english i have nothing but respect for the him and think he conducts himself with a lot of class and is a good role model for kids, model pro and sounds as if he works so hard to perfect his game. He is one of the few british players to make the brave move to go and play abroad and learn new cultures and styles of football and seems to be respected and adored wherever he goes. Think he deserved one last swansong at the World Cup, just not in the winning side

:top marks

iwasthere1972
14-03-2010, 10:10 PM

:agree: Although I won't be supporting England in the WC I am sorry that Beckham will not be there.

Earl o'Montrose
14-03-2010, 10:11 PM

:agree: Everything you said. Saw a recent interview with him where he was ruefully agreeing with the interviewer's suggestion that this would probably be his last world cup. The way he spoke about how it was an honour to play for his country in this or any world cup (some Scotland players should take note) and lamenting that this tournament would be his swansong. Now that's been taken away from him....I'm no England fan of course, but on a human level I'm really gutted for the guy as he's no doubt devestated right now. Was the only AC Milan player who looked the part against Man U during the week.

Sir David Gray
14-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I like David Beckham so I actually feel sorry for the guy if he's going to be out of the World Cup. It will probably be his last chance at appearing at a major championships.

I hope England get stuffed but only because of their media, I actually don't mind a lot of their players - Terry, Cole and Gerrard apart.

Hainan Hibs
14-03-2010, 10:14 PM
I feel sorry for Beckham, he's one of the good guys.

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 10:49 PM

:agree:

noseyhibby
14-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I feel gutted for the guy. I don't see English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh, I see a respected, role model professional who grew from a daft wee laddie on the pitch to become an ambassador for football per se. This might be the catalyst that ends a legends career. For this alone I'm sad, as Beckham epitomised everything great about that Manchester United crop of the 1990s, including another legend, Ryan Giggs. I as a Scot and a Brit want England and any home nation country to do well in the world cup, irrespective of the media hype and a few social commentators. I long ago left behind that culturally induced wee Scotland chip-on-my-shoulder mentality that forever damns our southern neighbours. I have travelled and lived widely and perhaps have a different perspective than many who like to see England and individuals representing England fail. Get well soon David, and I wouldn't put it past you coming back and giving us a diluted taste perhaps of footballing greatness.

Removed
14-03-2010, 11:08 PM

:agree: He even took time out to help with Team GB's Winter Olympic effort. Amy Williams has paid tribute to his advice on how to ride a skeleton :cool2:

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2010, 11:11 PM
I feel gutted for the guy. I don't see English, Scottish, Irish or Welsh, I see a respected, role model professional who grew from a daft wee laddie on the pitch to become an ambassador for football per se. This might be the catalyst that ends a legends career. For this alone I'm sad, as Beckham epitomised everything great about that Manchester United crop of the 1990s, including another legend, Ryan Giggs. I as a Scot and a Brit want England and any home nation country to do well in the world cup, irrespective of the media hype and a few social commentators. I long ago left behind that culturally induced wee Scotland chip-on-my-shoulder mentality that forever damns our southern neighbours. I have travelled and lived widely and perhaps have a different perspective than many who like to see England and individuals representing England fail. Get well soon David, and I wouldn't put it past you coming back and giving us a diluted taste perhaps of footballing greatness.

I'd rather my nuts were infested with a plague of locusts, than England win any football match, never mind the world cup, but hey each to their own.

HibeeDaz6270
14-03-2010, 11:17 PM
:agree::top marks

I also would be happy to see England do well, infact i would in many ways like to see them do well. The only reason being, I love football, i am a football fan, and i love watching many of Englands players, inc Beckham. I think Wayne Rooney could take England all the way to be honest. What a fantastic footballer he is.

Removed
14-03-2010, 11:22 PM
http://www.slanjkilts.com/images/stories/worldcup_ts.gif

iwasthere1972
14-03-2010, 11:24 PM

I also would be happy to see England do well, infact i would in many ways like to see them do well. The only reason being, I love football, i am a football fan, and i love watching many of Englands players, inc Beckham. I think Wayne Rooney could take England all the way to be honest. What a fantastic footballer he is.

Well a lot of us have had to endure re-runs of Geoff Hurst and 1966 every time England and the World Cup are both mentioned in the same sentence. Hence the reason I don't want them to get their claws on that trophy again. All other news reports will go unaired for months to be replaced with continuous interviews and statements from Z list celebrities on how good it is to be English.

England for the World Cup.............No thanks.

noseyhibby
14-03-2010, 11:26 PM
I'd rather my nuts were infested with a plague of locusts, than England win any football match, never mind the world cup, but hey each to their own.

Have you thought of a holiday in Egypt if England win their first group world cup match. Lots of those pesky critters over there.:wink:

gogs_t
14-03-2010, 11:30 PM

Ditto

But do feel a bit of sympathy for Beckham. I know he has a circus (and controlling missus) following him around, but he comes across as a pretty decent guy and WANTS to play for his country. Unlike some of the jokers who pick and choose their games in a blue top - depending on the shade :grr:

noseyhibby
14-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Well a lot of us have had to endure re-runs of Geoff Hurst and 1966 every time England and the World Cup are both mentioned in the same sentence. Hence the reason I don't want them to get their claws on that trophy again. All other news reports will go unaired for months to be replaced with continuous interviews and statements from Z list celebrities on how good it is to be English.

Each to their own as they say. I recall the 7-0 1973 Tynecastle New Years day massacre and to this day still bring it up. I will always bring it up. It's nostalgic, it's banter, it's a reminder of a special occasion. So what if they bring up 1966. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but like I say, each to their own.

HibeeDaz6270
14-03-2010, 11:31 PM

I can see where everyone is coming from, although to be honest, it wouldnt bother me all that much. I personally dont care who wins it, Just hoping to see some games with good football on show. As i like a fair few of Englands players such as Rooney and Beckham, I would be happy to see them do well, And then get humped in the Final :greengrin..although if they were to win it, I dont think id be overly bothered.

iwasthere1972
14-03-2010, 11:36 PM
I can see where everyone is coming from, although to be honest, it wouldnt bother me all that much. I personally dont care who wins it, Just hoping to see some games with good football on show. As i like a fair few of Englands players such as Rooney and Beckham, I would be happy to see them do well, And then get humped in the Final :greengrin..although if they were to win it, I dont think id be overly bothered.

That's more like it. :agree:

noseyhibby
14-03-2010, 11:37 PM

What a refreshing attitude from one so young. A few more like you and the anti-English culture will hopefully die-out along with the racists and those generations, including mine that grew up indoctrinated into anti-English attitudes. This caveman mentality will be history.

iwasthere1972
14-03-2010, 11:41 PM
Each to their own as they say. I recall the 7-0 1973 Tynecastle New Years day massacre and to this day still bring it up. I will always bring it up. It's nostalgic, it's banter, it's a reminder of a special occasion. So what if they bring up 1966. It doesn't bother me in the slightest, but like I say, each to their own.

The difference between our 7-0 humping of the Yams and England/World Cup is that the former will not be on every available TV channel 24 hours a day 7 days a week.

Tell you what if England win that cup then the plug comes off the telly until normal services are restored.

Hainan Hibs
14-03-2010, 11:41 PM
What a refreshing attitude from one so young. A few more like you and the anti-English culture will hopefully die-out along with the racists and those generations, including mine that grew up indoctrinated into anti-English attitudes. This caveman mentality will be history.

It's just a bit of rivalry.

Germany - Netherlands, Germany - France, Canada - USA. Most countries around the world have a rival they want to see beat. Nothing caveman or racist about it except from a few bampots.

iwasthere1972
14-03-2010, 11:44 PM

To be fair the lad is only 19 and has already said that he wouldn't mind if England get humped in the final.

HibeeDaz6270
14-03-2010, 11:46 PM
To be fair the lad is only 19 and has already said that he wouldn't mind if England get humped in the final.

I wouldnt care if they got humped 5-0, or won 5-0 to be honest. For me personally its all about the football, Id much rather see a game finishing 4-3 in the final, and if England deserve to win then so be it. Im happy with that.

Hibs On Tour
14-03-2010, 11:47 PM

Course we'd be SO different if we'd won it! Grow up...

iwasthere1972
14-03-2010, 11:50 PM
Course we'd be SO different if we'd won it! Grow up...

Well as we have no chance of winning it. As for growing up. :confused:

Hibs On Tour
14-03-2010, 11:56 PM
Well as we have no chance of winning it. As for growing up. :confused:

What I meant was that it is churlish to criticise the English media for doing precisely what we ourselves would do if we happened to win the bloody thing sometime! Just smacks of the green-eyed monster to be honest.

The 'grow up' was perhaps unnecessary - retracted. What I meant was that if you think we wouldn't do just the same you need to think again...

Speedy
15-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I feel sorry for Beckham, I like the guy, he's a great player and a model pro.

...and since this has turned into a debate on supporting England; I don't want them to win for the same reason I don't want Hearts to win the Champions League, they are our local rivals and they'd go on about it all the time. That's not to say we wouldn't act the exact same way but if we did win it and went on about it all the time then I wouldn't expect them to like it.

noseyhibby
15-03-2010, 12:09 AM
What I meant was that it is churlish to criticise the English media for doing precisely what we ourselves would do if we happened to win the bloody thing sometime! Just smacks of the green-eyed monster to be honest.

The 'grow up' was perhaps unnecessary - retracted. What I meant was that if you think we wouldn't do just the same you need to think again...

Good post. I should add also that I've lost count of the amount of times a fellow Scot (usually intoxicated) and the Scottish media have referred to Scotland as being unnofficial world champions after beating England 3-2 at wembley in 1967, with a certain Mr Baxter taking the p*** out of the opposition. It's banter and a great reference point.Those that pretend that their desire to see England lose is based on anti-English media as opposed to England per se might fool some but not all of us. I know racism and discrimination when I hear and see it.

Allant1981
15-03-2010, 12:14 AM
I hope England get horsed in every game they play, just because i like seeing some of their players play for their clubs doesnt mean i want the nation to win anything, they are our rivals and thats the way it should stay.

Allant1981
15-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Good post. I should add also that I've lost count of the amount of times a fellow Scot (usually intoxicated) and the Scottish media have referred to Scotland as being unnofficial world champions after beating England 3-2 at wembley in 1967, with a certain Mr Baxter taking the p*** out of the opposition. It's banter and a great reference point.Those that pretend that their desire to see England lose is based on anti-English media as opposed to England per se might fool some but not all of us. I know racism and discrimination when I hear and see it.

Away and dont talk *****. I love seeing England get gubbed, gives me an opportunity to get ripped into my inlaws for a start. Does this mean im a racist:bye:

(((Fergus)))
15-03-2010, 12:24 AM
:agree: He even took time out to help with Team GB's Winter Olympic effort. Amy Williams has paid tribute to his advice on how to ride a skeleton :cool2:

:faf:

magpie1892
15-03-2010, 12:31 AM
I hope England get horsed in every game they play, just because i like seeing some of their players play for their clubs doesnt mean i want the nation to win anything, they are our rivals and thats the way it should stay.

I'll step right into that 'Kickback-sized' trap with both feet and say, as a (northern) Englishman, that Scotland and England are football rivals in much the same way that Hibs and Edinburgh City are rivals!

Allant1981
15-03-2010, 12:35 AM
I'll step right into that 'Kickback-sized' trap with both feet and say, as a (northern) Englishman, that Scotland and England are football rivals in much the same way that Hibs and Edinburgh City are rivals!

Eh, and how do you come to the conclusion

magpie1892
15-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Eh, and how do you come to the conclusion

It's fairly obvious, no? I'm off to bed, I'm sure you'll figure it out!

Allant1981
15-03-2010, 12:40 AM
It's fairly obvious, no? I'm off to bed, I'm sure you'll figure it out!

They are our closest rivals are they not, who would you consider to be england rivals then, bearing in mind england have won the square root of hee haw in the last few years

Cabbage East
15-03-2010, 04:32 AM
Unlucky:greengrin

Lucius Apuleius
15-03-2010, 04:35 AM
Proud to be racist and discriminatory.

**** the engerlish. Love watching them get humped at anything (from one who has, I would imagine, spent more time travelling the world than anybody else on Hibs net)

PeeJay
15-03-2010, 05:32 AM

**** the engerlish.

:confused: While I accept anyone's right to enjoy another 'rival' team struggling or getting beat, your sentiments do not reflect well on your state of mind.:cool2: In the words of JM - "You cannot be serious!"

hibiedude
15-03-2010, 06:07 AM

:top marks I have my ABE T-Shirt at the ready

sorry to hear about Beckham being injured

WeAreHibs
15-03-2010, 07:18 AM
They are our closest rivals are they not, who would you consider to be england rivals then, bearing in mind england have won the square root of hee haw in the last few years

I think he's referring to stature. While England are our bitter rivals. I'm sure England would consider Germany or Argentina to be theirs over us, a wee pain the @rse who ripped up Wembley.

noseyhibby
15-03-2010, 07:33 AM

**** the engerlish. Love watching them get humped at anything (from one who has, I would imagine, spent more time travelling the world than anybody else on Hibs net)

At least you're honest about it. It's those that hide behind the anti-english media argument to cover their blatant discrimination. My ex-wife (English)suffered at the hands of a lot of anti-English attitudes at work, which had nothing to do with football. There is a seething resentment and jealousy not far underneath the skins of too many of my fellow Scots and it sometimes can't help but come to the surface. It's this disease that I'm attacking and would love to see eradicated. Which it will not do while so many hide in the closet and pretend to be non-racist or discriminatory, disguising their anti-Englishness by venting their hatred on the English media, and coming up with that old cliche "It's not the people or the players I dislike" I'm too long in the tooth to see through a lot of my fellow Scotsman. It won't happen in my lifetime, but I truly hope that future generations of Scots truly can say and actually mean it "It's only friendly rivalry".

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2010, 07:34 AM

Well I appreciated it, 65!

Lucius Apuleius
15-03-2010, 07:34 AM
:confused: While I accept anyone's right to enjoy another 'rival' team struggling or getting beat, your sentiments do not reflect well on your state of mind.:cool2: In the words of JM - "You cannot be serious!"

"Those that pretend that their desire to see England lose is based on anti-English media as opposed to England per se might fool some but not all of us. I know racism and discrimination when I hear and see it. "

A previous poster alluded to the fact that people wanting engerlund to get beat was both racist and discrimination. If this is the case then I am obviously racist and discriminatory, as are most people on this thread.

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2010, 07:35 AM
At least you're honest about it. It's those that hide behind the anti-english media argument to cover their blatant discrimination. My ex-wife (English)suffered at the hands of a lot of anti-English attitudes at work, which had nothing to do with football. There is a seething resentment and jealousy not far underneath the skins of too many of my fellow Scots and it sometimes can't help but come to the surface. It's this disease that I'm attacking and would love to see eradicated.

Mine did too, though mostly, it has to be said, from me.

StevieC
15-03-2010, 07:36 AM
What I meant was that it is churlish to criticise the English media for doing precisely what we ourselves would do if we happened to win the bloody thing sometime!

According to the Scottish media we'd won it before we even went out in 1978!

SidBurns
15-03-2010, 08:25 AM
I think he's a cock so VERY happy! All I want now is for Rooney to break a leg or summit then their oot before it's even started! :thumbsup:

down-the-slope
15-03-2010, 08:26 AM
Must admit have always liked Beckam..managed to remain pretty humble / normal considering the hangers on and circus he creates.

My other thought is what kind of insurance pay out AC Milan will be getting billed for given Beckams LA Galaxy Salary in the 10's of millions still due..:shocked:

They better hope the bought a good one and its watertight...or it will be their most expensive short term signing ever

Wilson
15-03-2010, 08:36 AM
I don't like Beckham and don't care for the England football team. I will choose not to be racist and discriminatory against their fellow competitors just because they are not a 'home nation'.

PeeJay
15-03-2010, 08:38 AM
[QUOTE=GordonTurnbull;2388229A previous poster alluded to the fact that people wanting engerlund to get beat was both racist and discrimination. [/QUOTE]

Wanting England to get beat is per se not racist. I live in Germany - I sometimes quite enjoy Germany getting beat, BUT not always. Always wanting England to get beat, at whatever they play or do, is racist, surely?

racism noun 1 hatred, rivalry or bad feeling between races. 2 belief in the inherent superiority of a particular race or races over others, usually with the implication of a right to be dominant. 3 discriminatory treatment based on such a belief. racist noun, adj.

I don't think Scottish people being openly racist and saying they are proud about it reflects well on Scotland or its people.

I forgot to mention that I'm incredibly sorry for Beckham - a model professional footballer.:agree:

blackpoolhibs
15-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Personally i couldn't care less if not wanting England to win makes me racist.

Hainan Hibs
15-03-2010, 08:47 AM
Personally i couldn't care less if not wanting England to win makes me racist.

It doesn't, it just gives the "oh look at how sophisticated and mature I am" group a chance to pretend they are above everyone again:agree:

TornadoHibby
15-03-2010, 08:58 AM

:top marks

Couldn't have said it better myself! :agree: :applause:

He is a model professional and possibly the best right sided crosser of a ball in World football ever! :agree:

He hits a mean free kick with that right peg too! :agree:

Something I didn't know but found out recently was that Beckham is one of the fittest footballers currently (well until last night!) playing top level football and is one of those who cover more ground in a game than most other midfielders! :wink:

His performance in the "beep test" (http://www.brianmac.co.uk/beep.htm) which is an incredible method of determining cardio fitness levels, is also apparently legendary! :agree:

The guy is a legend and much more than the media person a lot of people dismiss his sporting ability as a result of! :agree:

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2010, 09:00 AM
I think he's a cock but not as big a cock as I am. so VERY happy! All I want now is for Rooney to score the winner just to prove what a cock I am. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Mag7
15-03-2010, 09:22 AM
Well a lot of us have had to endure re-runs of Geoff Hurst and 1966 every time England and the World Cup are both mentioned in the same sentence. Hence the reason I don't want them to get their claws on that trophy again.

So what? You can bet the English would have Scotland's winning goal shoved down their throats at every opportunity if we were ever lucky enough to have won the World Cup.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2010, 11:01 AM
All this "racist" nonsense really gets on my wick. People should stick to trying to eradicate real and serious examples of racism, i.e. people being physically attacked in the street because of the colour of their skin or being denied a job opportunity because of their racial background.

FFS, it's FOOTBALL and football's a SPORT and in sport, particularly team sports, you have rivalries. Scotland and England, for a variety of reasons, are rival nations. I think it's healthy to have a bit of friendly rivalry between us, so long as it does not boil over into something a bit more serious.

Brazil and Argentina have a massive rivalry, particularly in football, does that make every Brazilian and Argentinian football fan a racist? Of course it doesn't.

This whole thing about branding people racists because they want to see a football team getting cuffed is just absolutely ridiculous and anyone who genuinely believes that someone is racist because they don't want the England team to do well needs to get a grip.

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2010, 11:10 AM
All this "racist" nonsense really gets on my wick. People should stick to trying to eradicate real and serious examples of racism, i.e. people being physically attacked in the street because of the colour of their skin or being denied a job opportunity because of their racial background.

FFS, it's FOOTBALL and football's a SPORT and in sport, particularly team sports, you have rivalries. Scotland and England, for a variety of reasons, are rival nations. I think it's healthy to have a bit of friendly rivalry between us, so long as it does not boil over into something a bit more serious.

Brazil and Argentina have a massive rivalry, particularly in football, does that make every Brazilian and Argentinian football fan a racist? Of course it doesn't.

This whole thing about branding people racists because they want to see a football team getting cuffed is just absolutely ridiculous and anyone who genuinely believes that someone is racist because they don't want the England team to do well needs to get a grip.

:top marksYou haggis munching, skirt wearing jock. :greengrin

PeeJay
15-03-2010, 11:18 AM

Rivalry is not a problem, racism is. However, I put to you that the 'real and serious' examples of racism you point to, gestate somewhere, i.e. in the minds of people who think it is perfectly acceptable to shout racist abuse at people for no other reason than that they are (in this case) English? If we, as a society, accept their right to spout racist bile, how then do we prevent them from ultimately putting their hatred into action, i.e. physically attacking people or preventing people from getting a job? What line of reason do you then deploy, when the cat is out of the bag? Either racism is wrong or it isn't: you can't be a little racist surely? (no references to the vertically challenged please!)

Lucius Apuleius
15-03-2010, 11:19 AM
Wanting England to get beat is per se not racist. I live in Germany - I sometimes quite enjoy Germany getting beat, BUT not always. Always wanting England to get beat, at whatever they play or do, is racist, surely?

racism noun 1 hatred, rivalry or bad feeling between races. 2 belief in the inherent superiority of a particular race or races over others, usually with the implication of a right to be dominant. 3 discriminatory treatment based on such a belief. racist noun, adj.

I don't think Scottish people being openly racist and saying they are proud about it reflects well on Scotland or its people.

I forgot to mention that I'm incredibly sorry for Beckham - a model professional footballer.:agree:

Then as I said previously, I am racist and proud of it. Better not tell my current employers I am racist I guess seeing as I have to look after 6,000 Nigerians.:greengrin

An Leargaidh
15-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Totally agree mate :agree:

It is political correctness gone to the very extreme of the "liberal love-in" barometer. Give Grampian Police another ten years and they will be arresting people and jailing them without trial because have not sent a Christmas card to people in England telling them how much they are loved and respected :confused:

People from any country will always find a reason to hate or certainly dislike people from another country for reasons of:

A) sports rivalry, no matter what the sport
B) historical wrongs which anger them even if it was well before their generation
C) cultural differences which they find alien, e.g. differences in dress / language / customs
D) a different religion prevails

You may choose to call this racism and in a lot of cases it may well be considered by the majority to be racism.

You will never stamp this out, racist or not, as long as there are different countries with different languages, dialects, customs, religions etc. If it was possible to stamp it out then it would have been stamped out before now.

Grampian Police pulling up the t-shirt company about the ABE t-shirts only raised awareness of the t-shirts and probably made a lot of Scottish or Scottish sympathising people think, "**** it, I'll buy one of them!"

HUTCHYHIBBY
15-03-2010, 11:21 AM

Well said young man! :agree:

marinello59
15-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Totally agree mate :agree:

It is political correctness gone to the very extreme of the "liberal love-in" barometer. Give Grampian Police another ten years and they will be arresting people and jailing them without trial because have not sent a Christmas card to people in England telling them how much they are loved and respected :confused:

People from any country will always find a reason to hate or certainly dislike people from another country for reasons of:

A) sports rivalry, no matter what the sport
B) historical wrongs which anger them even if it was well before their generation
C) cultural differences which they find alien, e.g. differences in dress / language / customs
D) a different religion prevails

You may choose to call this racism and in a lot of cases it may well be considered by the majority to be racism.

You will never stamp this out, racist or not, as long as there are different countries with different languages, dialects, customs, religions etc. If it was possible to stamp it out then it would have been stamped out before now.

Grampian Police pulling up the t-shirt company about the ABE t-shirts only raised awareness of the t-shirts and probably made a lot of Scottish or Scottish sympathising people think, "**** it, I'll buy one of them!"

I ain't going to stick up for Grampian's finest but they are perhaps sensitive to the fact that there is an element up here who take the anti-English "banter" just a step to far. In fact I think it was an English woman who got battered up here in the last incident. There is plenty of genuine hatred against the English amongst some Scots, to think otherwise is just plain wrong.

Sir David Gray
15-03-2010, 11:36 AM
Rivalry is not a problem, racism is. However, I put to you that the 'real and serious' examples of racism you point to, gestate somewhere, i.e. in the minds of people who think it is perfectly acceptable to shout racist abuse at people for no other reason than that they are (in this case) English? If we, as a society, accept their right to spout racist bile, how then do we prevent them from ultimately putting their hatred into action, i.e. physically attacking people or preventing people from getting a job? What line of reason do you then deploy, when the cat is out of the bag? Either racism is wrong or it isn't: you can't be a little racist surely? (no references to the vertically challenged please!)

You said in one of your previous posts that always wanting England to lose is surely racist. To me that is not racist in the slightest, it's merely a direct result of viewing England as a rival and not wishing your rival any success in any way, shape or form.

I don't think there is anything wrong in wanting English national sports teams to lose, personally I don't mind if an individual competing for England wins in their sport, as long as they are not up against a Scottish competitor. I just like seeing their football, cricket and rugby teams losing in every match that they play in.

I don't think that, because I want to see them lose at sport, I am more likely to go out and batter someone in the street because they are English, nor would I ever think of overlooking someone for a job just because they happen to have an English accent. I find that kind of behaviour completely unacceptable and, in my view, there is no comparison between that and wishing them bad luck on the sports field.

PeeJay
15-03-2010, 11:51 AM
a) I just like seeing their football, cricket and rugby teams losing in every match that they play in.

b) I don't think that, because I want to see them lose at sport, I am more likely to go out and batter someone in the street because they are English, nor would I ever think of overlooking someone for a job just because they happen to have an English accent.

a) Racist IMO - the only criteria you use for your allegience or lack thereof, is what race are they: if English, you hope they get beat. The nature of the game, the game itself, the relevance to Scotland or whatever is all irrelevant, only the race counts. IMO that is racist.

b) You may not, but other people who find it acceptable to castigate others because of their race may well do so. Again I fully accept wanting England to get beat is OK from a rivalry POV, but NOT all the time, just because it's England. Anyway - we won't agree.

Bad Martini
15-03-2010, 11:58 AM

Liverpool fan or not (and we may be the only 2 on here) I still say to ye, as a haggis munching Jock who doesn't wear a skirt .......

A.B.E.
(and bring on the semi-finals when youse **** it up, on penalties, to the Germans hopefully :devil::devil:)

Sir David Gray
15-03-2010, 11:58 AM
a) Racist IMO - the only criteria you use for your allegience or lack thereof, is what race are they: if English, you hope they get beat. The nature of the game, the game itself, the relevance to Scotland or whatever is all irrelevant, only the race counts. IMO that is racist.

b) You may not, but other people who find it acceptable to castigate others because of their race may well do so. Again I fully accept wanting England to get beat is OK from a rivalry POV, but NOT all the time, just because it's England. Anyway - we won't agree.

No, I don't think we will. Clearly how we both define racism differs greatly and we'll obviously have to agree to disagree.

iwasthere1972
15-03-2010, 12:08 PM
Liverpool fan or not (and we may be the only 2 on here) I still say to ye, as a haggis munching Jock who doesn't wear a skirt .......A.B.E.

(and bring on the semi-finals when youse **** it up, on penalties, to the Germans hopefully :devil::devil:)

YouTube - World Cup 1990 Semi-Final England v Germany (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_Yt0K3tZA)

Enjoy. :faf:

The Modfather
15-03-2010, 12:25 PM
Is common sense banned in these type of threads?

Why do folk have to go from one extreme to another? Are we all be racists because we want hearts to fail at all they do? That attitude doesn't mean by default we want any harm to come to Hearts fans.

Folk lose sight of the context, we are talking sport here. Not invading England, hounding any English out of Scotland etc but hoping they lose at whatever sport it may be.

I will be supporting Algeria, Slovenia and USA this world cup and whoever else plays England. None of that will change anything, Oasis and The Jam will still be my two favourite bands, Rachel Stevens will still be the best thing since sliced bread, and I'll still enjoy winding the geordie up at work wherever I can, and him doing likewise.

What gets me is some of the same folk who decry us racists for supporting anyone but England would also question my Hibiness given I don't hate the Jambos, don't get me wrong I dislike them, but with my dad being the shame of the family and a Jambo, I was brought up to see it as a football rivalry and the common enemy of Scottish football is the Old Firm. Yet, to some that makes me less of a Hibee. Cue the LTYF replies :greengrin

That is why it is harder to have the English wishing Scotland luck rather than them winning anything as it is a sad reflection on our rivalry and shows how far we have to climb to make it a competative rivalry again.

That's my tuppance worth on the issue.

legends of 73
15-03-2010, 12:30 PM

did i not send you that text on friday:greengrin:greengrin

Removed
15-03-2010, 12:38 PM

:agree: But I sent it to you and you sent it back :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2010, 01:01 PM

YouTube - World Cup 1990 Semi-Final England v Germany (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH_Yt0K3tZA)

Enjoy. :faf:

:rolleyes: :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2010, 01:03 PM
Liverpool fan or not (and we may be the only 2 on here) I still say to ye, as a haggis munching Jock who doesn't wear a skirt .......

A.B.E.

:tee hee:

Speedy
15-03-2010, 01:12 PM

I think that is giving yourselfs a bit too much credit.

A better example would be Boro and Newcastle/Sunderland

Cod Boy
15-03-2010, 01:35 PM
england have a better chance of winnng the world cup now beckham is out mr capello will have to pick players on merit rather than taking the the hyped up media circus act which is beckham

noseyhibby
15-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Good sound, logical and reasoned post:top marks

noseyhibby
15-03-2010, 02:36 PM
You said in one of your previous posts that always wanting England to lose is surely racist. To me that is not racist in the slightest, it's merely a direct result of viewing England as a rival and not wishing your rival any success in any way, shape or form.

England are considered a rival by Scottish football supporters , but this is not on the whole reciprocated down south. Scotland has less than 10% of Englands population, do not regularly qualify for football tournaments (though they once did) and do not regularly get to world cup quarter final or more stages. When the Jambos talk of wee team/big team there is no better demonstration of this than Scotland v England. We Scots have to accept that England has greater resources and genuine world class footballers, while we are scampering about trying to escape defeat against minnows. Occasionally Scotland performs above its station in the football world, and this leads to a serious over-estimation by a great swathe of the scottish population that somehow we are world beaters. The day Scotland can truly move on into the 21st century and accept it is a tiny nation with limited resources, it might just get rid of that huge national chip-on-its-shoulders. Football is a convenient channel for too many Scots to vent their anti-English racist bile. I have witnessed discrimination against too many Englishmen/women in my time outwith the confines of football. Cast your mind back to the sickening attacks on English students during the Braveheart showings at local cinemas. Anti-English attitudes and feelings pollute the Scottish psyche as much, if not more than the sectarianism within Glasgow. A Bosnia-type situation might not ever come about, but the sentiments that drove a nation to slaughter on the basis of race and/or religion are the very same sentiments displayed by too many Scots. This is not 1314. We long ago mutually became one both politically and through the crown. I am proud to be a Scot and proud to be British. I do not want my fellow British nations to lose on a world stage at anything.

weonlywon6-2
15-03-2010, 03:34 PM

not

Beckham is one of the decent ones i dont mond watching, but Engerlund to win the world cup, ermmmmmmmmmm

naaaa

weonlywon6-2
15-03-2010, 03:36 PM
england have a better chance of winnng the world cup now beckham is out mr capello will have to pick players on merit rather than taking the the hyped up media circus act which is beckham

dont think capello goes with that rule tbh,cole,bridge and now beckham out of the world cup, if rooney gets injured they are donlad:thumbsup: ducked !!

An Leargaidh
15-03-2010, 04:21 PM
In fact I think it was an English woman who got battered up here in the last incident.

:shocked:Bloody hell, I must have been living down here in the sheltered green hills of Ayrshire for too long.

Of course it happens within Scotland too or it used to. When I was still in school our annual family holiday was always the western isles and some of the folks on the some of the isles hated us because we were from somewhere below an imaginary line on a map of Scotland and couldn't speak an Gàidhlig. Soon as you walked into a shop they'd stop speaking English and start speaking Gaelic :grr:

One Post Office/general store even put its prices up for the fortnight we stayed there.

There's never any need for violence though :no way:

seanraff07
15-03-2010, 04:22 PM

not

That will be another excuse for them if they fail to win the World Cup.

heidtheba
15-03-2010, 04:29 PM

I have to agree with this, he's not a bad role model at all (considering the way some of them act) and he's conducted himself really well since that '98 stamp on the Argentinan player. Really feel for him as he's worked his socks off to be in the frame for the squad.

Wouldn't have minded him signing for us on a Bosman...

soupy
15-03-2010, 04:41 PM
I dont like Englands national football side, just like i dont like Hearts, Rangers and Celtic, cos i choose not too.
I want to see them pumped in everything they do, hopefully doesnt make me a racist....

Scouse Hibee
15-03-2010, 05:00 PM
I dont like Englands national football side, just like i dont like Hearts, Rangers and Celtic, cos i choose not too.
I want to see them pumped in everything they do, hopefully doesnt make me a racist....

No, not at all I think exactly the same way about Scotland every time I see them getting pumped (which is nearly all the time). :faf::faf::faf:

Allant1981
15-03-2010, 05:22 PM
England are considered a rival by Scottish football supporters , but this is not on the whole reciprocated down south. Scotland has less than 10% of Englands population, do not regularly qualify for football tournaments (though they once did) and do not regularly get to world cup quarter final or more stages. When the Jambos talk of wee team/big team there is no better demonstration of this than Scotland v England. We Scots have to accept that England has greater resources and genuine world class footballers, while we are scampering about trying to escape defeat against minnows. Occasionally Scotland performs above its station in the football world, and this leads to a serious over-estimation by a great swathe of the scottish population that somehow we are world beaters. The day Scotland can truly move on into the 21st century and accept it is a tiny nation with limited resources, it might just get rid of that huge national chip-on-its-shoulders. Football is a convenient channel for too many Scots to vent their anti-English racist bile. I have witnessed discrimination against too many Englishmen/women in my time outwith the confines of football. Cast your mind back to the sickening attacks on English students during the Braveheart showings at local cinemas. Anti-English attitudes and feelings pollute the Scottish psyche as much, if not more than the sectarianism within Glasgow. A Bosnia-type situation might not ever come about, but the sentiments that drove a nation to slaughter on the basis of race and/or religion are the very same sentiments displayed by too many Scots. This is not 1314. We long ago mutually became one both politically and through the crown. I am proud to be a Scot and proud to be British. I do not want my fellow British nations to lose on a world stage at anything.

That would be all very well if it was a british team that was playing but its not, its England, not the country you were born in. Get off your high horse with all this racist p!sh. Its a game of football and most people dont want to see your closest rivals winning at anything. Mostly for gloating purposes. Would you like to see hearts winning some major euorpean championship because they are a scottish club, cause i wouldnt, I'd love to see them get put out in the first round of the WC, then the in laws would be getting it tight

Sir David Gray
15-03-2010, 06:18 PM

No, not at all I think exactly the same way about Scotland every time I see them getting pumped (which is nearly all the time). :faf::faf::faf:

:bye: Ya morris dancin', hubcap thievin' scouse bassa! :greengrin

Can't wait for the 1/4 final penalty shootout heartache for you guys yet again. I hope Terry slips again just like he did against Man Utd. :faf: :greengrin

NOLA
15-03-2010, 07:30 PM
always thought Beckham would look good in a Hibs Strip!

noseyhibby
15-03-2010, 11:58 PM
Its a game of football and most people dont want to see your closest rivals winning at anything. Mostly for gloating purposes.

My point is that England are not our rivals. Scotlands true rivals are the minnows that we struggle to beat time and again. It's the collective chip on the shoulder mentality that makes many Scots think England are our rivals. Scotland for as far back as I can remember simply want to get one over the bigger and, yes, whether we care to admit it or not, superior team. It's a tribal thing belonging to the middle ages.

Lucius Apuleius
16-03-2010, 04:28 AM
**** me, it is enough to rive a man to drink. (and I am going to give up Gin and move on to whisky, **** it)

Mon the racists.

Nakedmanoncrack
16-03-2010, 08:05 AM

Complete and utter drivel, as usual.

Danderhall Hibs
16-03-2010, 08:11 AM
My point is that England are not our rivals. Scotlands true rivals are the minnows that we struggle to beat time and again. It's the collective chip on the shoulder mentality that makes many Scots think England are our rivals. Scotland for as far back as I can remember simply want to get one over the bigger and, yes, whether we care to admit it or not, superior team. It's a tribal thing belonging to the middle ages.

:agree: Agreed.

We're brought up/brainwashed to dislike them and then to believe it was the media that made us not like them.

Bad Martini
16-03-2010, 11:40 AM
[/B]
...Scotland every time I see them getting pumped (which is nearly all the time). :faf::faf::faf:

Respect the Don (Hutchinson) :cool2: :greengrin :devil:

The mighty twin towers....ahh, unfortunately we didn't give youse a chance to get yer ain back. We were too busy pumping France and Ukraine to bother with mere mortals like England :greengrin

Anyhoo, mon the ABE :thumbsup:

Scouse Hibee
16-03-2010, 11:44 AM

The mighty twin towers....ahh, unfortunately we didn't give youse a chance to get yer ain back. We were too busy pumping France and Ukraine to bother with mere mortals like England :greengrin

:singing: Memories

Holmesdale Hibs
16-03-2010, 12:32 PM
I'm not bothered if England win or not however I work down south and am happy for them to get all the way to the final if it means we get to leave work early to watch the game.

Most of the anti-english stuff I've heard has been quite funny and, although some if it is cringeworthy, usually isn't racist. I get anti-scottish jokes (deep fried mars bar etc) on a regular basis but that's hardly racist either.

As for Beckham, may be a decent guy in interviews etc but I think he's a bit of a tool. If he hadn't have gone money-grabbing to the US then no one would have made such a big thing of him turning up for every england game. As if he hasn't got enough money through pepsi, addidas, vodaphone... infact there's nothing he wouldn't sell. IMO he has treated the Galaxy very badly and deserved the abuse he got.

Allant1981
16-03-2010, 05:06 PM

Whether you like to admit it or not England are our rivals

Vince White
16-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Whether you like to admit it or not England are our rivals

I'm English and like to see Scotland win, as do most of the English people I live and work alongside who have an interest in football so I've never really seen you as rivals. Fair enough when we play each other I naturally want England to win but how often does that happen? Must be once in the last 25 years or so?

iwasthere1972
16-03-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm English and like to see Scotland win, as do most of the English people I live and work alongside who have an interest in football so I've never really seen you as rivals. Fair enough when we play each other I naturally want England to win but how often does that happen? Must be once in the last 25 years or so?

:fibber: :agree:

Vince White
16-03-2010, 05:17 PM

If you're referring to the 1-0 play-off game at Wembley you have omitted the minor detail that England had already won 2-0 at Hampden :wink:

Vince White
16-03-2010, 05:21 PM
:fibber: :agree:

Sorry but I'm just telling it as I see it, having lived on both sides of the border for large chunks of my life.

iwasthere1972
16-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Sorry but I'm just telling it as I see it, having lived on both sides of the border for large chunks of my life.

I lived as south of the border as you can get for 25 years and that's not the way I saw it. The English loved to see us lose as much as we loved to see them lose.

Vince White
16-03-2010, 05:53 PM
I lived as south of the border as you can get for 25 years and that's not the way I saw it. The English loved to see us lose as much as we loved to see them lose.

Fair dos if that was your experience. Happy to accept there is an anti-Scotland element here but I suspect it's further south. I lived in the north-east and now Manchester and have rarely if ever encountered English folk cheering on Scotland's opponents. Scots, especially in the north east, are generally very well liked.

Broken Gnome
16-03-2010, 06:09 PM

Of course there's a rivalry, there would be the same nasty element of English people that are quite aggressive in their anti-Scits sentiment as there is vice versa. Maybe it is more noticeable up here because we are the smaller nation of the union as opposed to the big 'oppressor'.

You never ever here England fans sing 'Are you Scotland in disguise?'. Or Leeds fans sing 'I'd rather be a Paki than a Jock' when they came up for the pre-season game? Aside from any misguided nationalism that is taken too far, the main sentiments of this thread are that Scots don't like England as a sporting entity. Quite why that should ever be an issue is a waste of an argument. The simplistic argument of whether anyone here would ever want Hearts to win is still quite valid. The sporting circus that follows the English football and rugby teams has a vastly different character to their Scottish counterparts, so why shouldn't they wish bad luck on each other?

Edited to acknowledge your last post - It is the Southern England character that is the most prominent to Scots within a sporting environment, see for example the ease in which Rugby League can bring their whole league programme to Edinburgh for a weekend without the slightest concern.

I saw a Bill McLaren tribute programme a few weeks ago in which he played golf with John Inverdale, who with quite sickening smugness suggesting England could expect to dominate the 6 Nations for years to come (it was two or three years old). Now correct me if I'm wrong, but quite the opposite of sweeping aside all that dare face them, England are rank rotten at present. Which is exactly the sort of stereotypical attitude that Scots despise, and if they choose to revel in it when this arrogance is proved to be nonsense then is it not fair game?

Joe Baker II
17-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Fair enough when we play each other I naturally want England to win but how often does that happen? Must be once in the last 25 years or so?

Think that is part of the reason for much of the hatred though media imbalance discussed above far from insignificant (and I assure you it is hatred) - the English over-reaction to trouble caused (I accept mainly by Scots) in London in 1970s that ended this game and resultant hypocrisy when there was no similar attempt to cancel England games when there supporters established a violent reputation.

Plus fact part of the reason for not resurrecting this fixture seems to be a patronising "why bother playing Scotland" atttitiude although FA seem happy to arrange firiendlies against lower or similar ranked teams.

Do realise Scotland-England game if played now may not be quite the major event it used to be as there are more attractive locations than London now easily accessible for away games, but would still be a game worth having.

Bad Martini
17-03-2010, 11:04 AM
If you're referring to the 1-0 play-off game at Wembley you have omitted the minor detail that England had already won 2-0 at Hampden :wink:

I omitted nothing mate. What I said was, last time we played youse, we won.

That, is the fact. Indeed, we won at YOUR patch - fortress Wembley

...and we are sheite :devil::faf::thumbsup:

So there :na na::saltireflag

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Biff Tannen
17-03-2010, 11:32 AM

And you not think thousands of Scots DIED trying to prevent this????
It may not be 1314 but it still happened and the English raped and piliged our people! I am proud to be SCOTTISH not BRITISH which has been made up... i take each person as they are...if they're english and a nice person then thats sound with me, i don't judge people by race or nationality, by jeez i even have english family.....but i still want England to get HUMPED in the World Cup, it would spell disaster if they won on so many levels...and that's no bein racist....also it adds spice to game where i genuinly want someone to win and keep me interested.

Gutted for Beckham cause i like him

RoslinInstHibby
17-03-2010, 11:40 AM
real shame for the guy, i get plenty of stick from my mates but i think Beckham is a superb player, the best crosser of the ball in the world bar none.

Don't want England to win the world cup, but thats more to do with the media than (most of) their players or fans....

Vince White
17-03-2010, 12:00 PM
I omitted nothing mate. What I said was, last time we played youse, we won.

That, is the fact. Indeed, we won at YOUR patch - fortress Wembley

...and we are sheite :devil::faf::thumbsup:

So there :na na::saltireflag

ENDOF :thumbsup:

Bit like being 2-0 down in a derby, getting a goal back in the second half then saying we won the second half 1-0. Not really going to cut much ice with the yams is it? :wink:

marinello59
17-03-2010, 12:10 PM
It may not be 1314 but it still happened and the English raped and piliged our people! I am proud to be SCOTTISH not BRITISH which has been made up... i take each person as they are...if they're english and a nice person then thats sound with me, i don't judge people by race or nationality, by jeez i even have english family.....but i still want England to get HUMPED in the World Cup, it would spell disaster if they won on so many levels...and that's no bein racist....also it adds spice to game where i genuinly want someone to win and keep me interested.

I dunno why I find this post funny, I just do. Sorry:faf:

Vince White
17-03-2010, 12:57 PM

What levels are those? Haiti earthquake level disaster or just England winning a football tournament 'disaster'? I'm sure you could learn to live with it :wink:

Biff Tannen
17-03-2010, 02:06 PM
What levels are those? Haiti earthquake level disaster or just England winning a football tournament 'disaster'? I'm sure you could learn to live with it :wink:

Oh, you’re one of them...that’s no a disaster – this is a disaster, you think that’s sad – no this is sad...very good!!!

I’m sure I could live with it but it would be a nightmare

“That’s no a nightmare, me comin oot wi *****e comments thats a nightmare!!” Fudge!!lol

Bad Martini
17-03-2010, 04:37 PM
Bit like being 2-0 down in a derby, getting a goal back in the second half then saying we won the second half 1-0. Not really going to cut much ice with the yams is it? :wink:

Naw. Its mair like the recent matches with celtc.....cast yer mind back to who won what when as its a much better analargy :greengrin

....anyhow, with regards to what you WON that year versus what we won, when parading the silverware youse get to parade the same **** all we got to parade.

So as ah sais na na na na na na :greengrin

P.s. ABE !!!!!

Vince White
17-03-2010, 05:06 PM
Oh, you’re one of them...that’s no a disaster – this is a disaster, you think that’s sad – no this is sad...very good!!!

I’m sure I could live with it but it would be a nightmare

“That’s no a nightmare, me comin oot wi *****e comments thats a nightmare!!” Fudge!!lol

I wouldn't say I'm 'one of them', just thought 'a disaster on so many levels' was a little bit OTT in relation to a football match. To use your own terminology, 'a nightmare' is more apt when it comes to football I reckon.

Vince White
17-03-2010, 05:12 PM
Naw. Its mair like the recent matches with celtc.....cast yer mind back to who won what when as its a much better analargy :greengrin

....anyhow, with regards to what you WON that year versus what we won, when parading the silverware youse get to parade the same **** all we got to parade.

So as ah sais na na na na na na :greengrin

P.s. ABE !!!!!

You'll need to explain the Celtic analogy as I think I'm missing the point. You mean when we won in the last minute at Parkhead earlier this year? How does that compare with Scotland losing a two-legged play-off?

And come on, surely qualifying for a major championship is a tangible achievement whether you win it or not? By your reckoning the losing World Cup finalists are on a par with a team that finished bottom of its qualifying group ie they may have won their way through qualifying and got all the way to the final but because they didn't actually lift the cup they may as well not have even qualified.

How about if Hibs DO reach the Scottish Cup final this season? If we get beat does that mean we achieved no more than the Jambos, who got gubbed in their opening match? :wink:.

Biff Tannen
17-03-2010, 11:07 PM
I dunno why I find this post funny, I just do. Sorry:faf:
Haha!!Me tae and i wrote it!!!! goin oan aboot 1314.......lol Still i knew what i meant!

Biff Tannen
17-03-2010, 11:09 PM
I wouldn't say I'm 'one of them', just thought 'a disaster on so many levels' was a little bit OTT in relation to a football match. To use your own terminology, 'a nightmare' is more apt when it comes to football I reckon.

Fair doos!! Still coulnae handle it though

Bad Martini
18-03-2010, 11:22 AM
You'll need to explain the Celtic analogy as I think I'm missing the point. You mean when we won in the last minute at Parkhead earlier this year? How does that compare with Scotland losing a two-legged play-off?

And come on, surely qualifying for a major championship is a tangible achievement whether you win it or not? By your reckoning the losing World Cup finalists are on a par with a team that finished bottom of its qualifying group ie they may have won their way through qualifying and got all the way to the final but because they didn't actually lift the cup they may as well not have even qualified.

How about if Hibs DO reach the Scottish Cup final this season? If we get beat does that mean we achieved no more than the Jambos, who got gubbed in their opening match? :wink:.

Indeed, they beat us, we beat them, endof. :greengrin

As for what we won compared to you (and I said "won" not "achieved") you ultimately "WON" <<< (to win) what we won i.e. nitto.

Now then, this is all detracting from the point and the sentiment...glory to the hibees, peace to the people on earth and most importantly for the Summer...

ABE :na na::saltireflag

ENDOF :devil:

therealgavmac
18-03-2010, 12:11 PM

He sent it to me on Friday!