PDA

View Full Version : Compare these quotes from yesterday

Mag7
14-03-2010, 06:28 PM
Graham Stack: "The biggest difference between them and us was their work ethic. Their desire to go through to the next round and go on and win the game was far greater than ours."

Ian Murray: "I felt that getting booed off was harsh. It’s not as if we were walking off the park having lost the game or not having given our all. We were as disappointed with the result as the fans were and their reaction was a little bit disappointing. We are pressing for third place in the SPL, we are still in the Scottish Cup and it’s been a decent season so far. I think we deserved a little better.

Michael Gardyne: "I’m not sure if they will fancy coming all the way up to Dingwall. We’ll be well up for it and they will need to be up for it. The boys are soaring in confidence after Saturday and everybody will be looking forward to the replay."

Sums up what frustrates so many Hibs fans IMHO. Stack is correct with is assessment, but the question has to be asked WHY was Ross County's desire and work ethic so much greater??? There's simply no excuse for that being the case.

Re Murray claiming they gave their all, well he might have but if that was the whole team giving their all then we're in worse shape than I thought. How he can think it was harsh for an SPL team playing at home to be booed off after that performance makes you wonder how low the level of ambition is at ER.

As for Gardyne's quote, how many Hibs players are 'looking forward to the replay'. Probably none, which is why we'll probably get beat.

For far too long there has been a lack of spine about Hibs when the going gets tough. Last guy who gave us a bit of dig was McLeish. I thought a guy like Yogi would be able to instil a battling mentality but it seems not.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Graham Stack: "The biggest difference between them and us was their work ethic. Their desire to go through to the next round and go on and win the game was far greater than ours."

Ian Murray: "I felt that getting booed off was harsh. It’s not as if we were walking off the park having lost the game or not having given our all. We were as disappointed with the result as the fans were and their reaction was a little bit disappointing. We are pressing for third place in the SPL, we are still in the Scottish Cup and it’s been a decent season so far. I think we deserved a little better.

Michael Gardyne: "I’m not sure if they will fancy coming all the way up to Dingwall. We’ll be well up for it and they will need to be up for it. The boys are soaring in confidence after Saturday and everybody will be looking forward to the replay."

Sums up what frustrates so many Hibs fans IMHO. Stack is correct with is assessment, but the question has to be asked WHY was Ross County's desire and work ethic so much greater??? There's simply no excuse for that being the case.

Re Murray claiming they gave their all, well he might have but if that was the whole team giving their all then we're in worse shape than I thought. How he can think it was harsh for an SPL team playing at home to be booed off after that performance makes you wonder how low the level of ambition is at ER.

As for Gardyne's quote, how many Hibs players are 'looking forward to the replay'. Probably none, which is why we'll probably get beat.

For far too long there has been a lack of spine about Hibs when the going gets tough. Last guy who gave us a bit of dig was McLeish. I thought a guy like Yogi would be able to instil a battling mentality but it seems not.

Not yet.:agree: He's identified it and is working on it, though - I don't think it's something that can be readily fixed overnight.

Stack is spot on, and I can see Nid's point as well. They're two big characters at the club and should be taking things into their own hands to give everyone else a collective boot up the erse.

Alex Trager
14-03-2010, 06:40 PM
People that boo their team of the park are quite simply pathetic, its a hurrendous yammish thing we should't be doing.They played bad but we did not get beat, we should only be booing the team off if we get humiliated, and yesterday wasn't humilating, humiliating is getting beat 0-7 at home or the 5-1 at st johnstone but not a two all draw that only means 90 more minutes

Alex Trager
14-03-2010, 06:43 PM
Not yet.:agree: He's identified it and is working on it, though - I don't think it's something that can be readily fixed overnight.

Stack is spot on, and I can see Nid's point as well. They're two big characters at the club and should be taking things into their own hands to give everyone else a collective boot up the erse.

Correct,
Give the manager a chance how long did it take Mcleish? 3/4 of a season, no..

What's it they say good things ccome to thoose who wait

Hibs90
14-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Correct,

We should keep Yogi for a few seasons, let him take us where he wants us to go, just stick with him and it will come good. Actually, some said that about Alan O'Brien :greengrin

Alex Trager
14-03-2010, 06:49 PM
We should keep Yogi for a few seasons, let him take us where he wants us to go, just stick with him and it will come good. Actually, some said that about Alan O'Brien :greengrin
Quote form S.A.F
'When i take over a team they're crap, i take time to install my style of play, mentality and get the players i want'

Isn't the whole idea of a new manager giving him some time to see where we're going

HFC 0-7
14-03-2010, 06:51 PM
Correct,

108 years is long enough to wait, if we keep playing like we did on satruday we will be waiting longer.

Alex Trager
14-03-2010, 06:52 PM
108 years is long enough to wait, if we keep playing like we did on satruday we will be waiting longer.
I'm talking in terms of Hughes

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2010, 06:53 PM
I'm talking in terms of Hughes

Disnae fit his argument though.

Winston Ingram
14-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Stack is bang on. Murray I think gave his all but what was as obvious as a Jim Jefferies lie was that he and Hanlon were the only ones. If he thinks the others did I think someone must have spiked his half time Lucozade:bitchy:

Craig_in_Prague
14-03-2010, 07:01 PM
This season is going to end up really dissapointing IMO,
Reckon we'll lose in the replay, finish 5th (at best) in the league, and Yogi has some serious hard work in the summer to do.

Jim44
14-03-2010, 07:05 PM

Stack's quote says it all really. Without any strong justification, too many Hibs teams, when meeting opposition from lower leagues, assume they will win..............big time Charlie syndrome. I repeat what I said in another thread, Yogi can go on till he's blue in the face about taking these 'wee' teams seriously but he's wasting his breath unless the players themselves realise how vulnerable they really are and go out and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Reckon we'll lose in the replay, finish 5th (at best) in the league, and Yogi has some serious hard work in the summer to do.

I think Yogi's got that to do anyway, regardless of where we finish - he's been saying that from when we were doing and playing well.

I think he's done his best to set our expectations from the word go, but folk are forgetting that and can't see past the here and now.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Stack's quote says it all really. Without any strong justification, too many Hibs teams, when meeting opposition from lower leagues, assume they will win..............big time Charlie syndrome. I repeat what I said in another thread, Yogi can go on till he's blue in the face about taking these 'wee' teams seriously but he's wasting his breath unless the players themselves realise how vulnerable they really are and go out and take the game by the scruff of the neck.

There's only so much talking to the players Yogi can do. When they go out onto the pitch, the players have to do the hard work. Yogi knows who are shirkers, and he will replace them, he needs time, 8 months is nowhere near long enough, although we have improved, and will continue too.

heidtheba
14-03-2010, 07:16 PM
Ok, since this name has been mentioned in this thread, can someone please tell me why Murray is known as Nid?

:confused:
Ta

lapsedhibee
14-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Ok, since this name has been mentioned in this thread, can someone please tell me why Murray is known as Nid?

Ta

"N I D" is what he had shaved in his hair one game against the yams during his first spell at the club. Stands for Neversaydie In Derbies :agree:

PC Stamp
14-03-2010, 07:29 PM

Ta

When he was at Dundee Utd they wanted to give him a nickname related to where he came from. One of the Utd lads said the only place he knew of in Edinburgh was Niddrie. So Niddrie was the nickname he acquired, since shortened to Nid.

Alex Trager
14-03-2010, 07:35 PM
"N I D" is what he had shaved in his hair one game against the yams during his first spell at the club. Stands for Neversaydie In Derbies :agree:

When he was at Dundee Utd they wanted to give him a nickname related to where he came from. One of the Utd lads said the only place he knew of in Edinburgh was Niddrie. So Niddrie was the nickname he acquired, since shortened to Nid.

Which is it to be then

Dunbar Hibee
14-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Which is it to be then

What do you think...:hilarious

TornadoHibby
14-03-2010, 07:50 PM

Much as I hate to find myself being negative here, the performance from yesterday has been building up for weeks with similar, sometimes as bad, performances from individuals constantly under-mining our abilities to play decent football as we have done throughout the season and I therefore find myself tending to agree with your view! :confused:

However, until our players learn and remember until the last ball is kicked each match day that a winning team defends from the front backwards and attacks from the back forwards, we will always end up disappointed as fans! :agree:

The attitude of a good number of the Hibs players yesterday was very poor, almost arrogant in seeming to think that winning would be a formality for them when in fact a decent SFL team is always going to work until they drop in both attack and defence to get the result they BELIEVE they can achieve! :agree:

BELIEF is all important in the sportsman's psyche and without it a decent performance is always at risk! ATTITUDE is another enemy of a decent performance and I believe that some of our players show distinct signs of a seriously wrong match attitude. :grr:

Yes, any decent winning team has a strong and stable defence in front of a competent keeper and a couple of seriously fit, energetic and downright aggressive (but fair :wink:) midfielders capable of protecting the defence and helping the creative players to generate attacking opportunities for it. Naturally, creative and skillful attacking players are also necessary to turn the forward moves into goals to win games! :cool2:

We are still struggling with the defensive side of our team and that significant problem means that our offensive players rarely get the opportunity to generate and convert the goal scoring chances need to win games with! :cool2:

Make of all of that what you will but look at any decent top (winning) side and the difference between them and Hibs since the middle of December at least IMO is as clear as I think I have outlined above for any regular fan! :confused:

Attitude, belief and "will to win" will compensate for some of the more fundamental structural problems in our team at the moment but, as recently as Saturday, I am not convinced that our players will deliver on these three fundamental necessities which Ross County showed us in abundance on Saturday! :grr:

I hope that I am proved wrong but I am sadly not convinced that I will be! :grr:

noseyhibby
14-03-2010, 07:55 PM

Good post.:agree:

Brooster
14-03-2010, 08:03 PM

Not true. PC Stamp is right.

Hainan Hibs
14-03-2010, 08:05 PM

Good post:agree:

Stack is completely spot on and I hope the rest of the team see it that way and don't believe along with Murray that they actually put in 100% effort. If that is true and we couldn't get past 1st Division opposition then we are heading up **** creek.

What did Murray expect? A standing ovation? I am against abuse but if booing has got to them then good, it might serve as a kick up the arse.

The replay will come down to a battle of fight and we have none. They have to have a good hard look in the mirror and find a bit of desire to actually win something. Then we might stand a good chance of progressing.

vahibbie
14-03-2010, 08:27 PM

This far into the season I don't think it unreasonable for us to expect the manager to know who and who doesn't give 100%....all the time. Yogi is begining to sound like Mixu, he repeats the same stuff but evidence of it working is seldom seen.
Stack is exactly spot on. Murray's maybe a little put out but if the rest put in the shift he did there would be no boos. No-one was booing cos we drew or got beat, FFS we'd have lost our voices ages ago if that's the case. Just get everyone on the park to put in the effort....it's their job for Christ sake.

Alfred E Newman
14-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I think Hibs fans in general are getting fed up seeing their team muscled out of games by inferior opposition. For years now we have been powder puff with too many players that might have a bit of skill but no appetite for a scrap. I hope I am wrong but the vast majority of us know that it is highly unlikely that we will win up in Dingwall, not because we are not good enough, but because we know it will be a battle. We have seen it all before.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 08:36 PM
This far into the season I don't think it unreasonable for us to expect the manager to know who and who doesn't give 100%....all the time. Yogi is begining to sound like Mixu, he repeats the same stuff but evidence of it working is seldom seen.
Stack is exactly spot on. Murray's maybe a little put out but if the rest put in the shift he did there would be no boos. No-one was booing cos we drew or got beat, FFS we'd have lost our voices ages ago if that's the case. Just get everyone on the park to put in the effort....it's their job for Christ sake.

I think there's a couple of things that come into play here - one is that it's easy enough to identify someone that's not up for the fight, but unless there's a replacement who is good enough (and also not a shirker) then you have to go with what you've got until you can replace them.

The other thing is you have to give these players the opportunity to step up to the level that you are requiring, and some players take longer than others.

Hopefully Yogi knows now what he's got with the players and knows who is worth persevering with and who isn't.

bongo'd
14-03-2010, 08:50 PM
People that boo their team of the park are quite simply pathetic, its a hurrendous yammish thing we should't be doing.They played bad but we did not get beat, we should only be booing the team off if we get humiliated, and yesterday wasn't humilating, humiliating is getting beat 0-7 at home or the 5-1 at st johnstone but not a two all draw that only means 90 more minutes

It wasn't the 2-2 draw that we were booing it was the manner in which we meekly surrendered a lead and could (probably should) have lost the game. The last 6 performances have been no better than what was served up under Mixu, and look where that got him.

down-the-slope
14-03-2010, 08:54 PM
i'd be happier if Stack also promised to actually come for a cross ball...at least 3 occasions we were put under more pressure by him being rooted to his line

Crab apple
14-03-2010, 08:56 PM

The strange thing is that there was no real booing after the 5-1 Saints game although it definitely merited it. By the end I was simply happy it wasn't more than 5.

joebakerforever
14-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Well after Saturday, I hope Hibs will now realise that the plastic guru known as Watt Nichol is not the answer to motivating the players.

Spend the money on something better than on a silvery tongued operator.

bongo'd
14-03-2010, 09:01 PM
The strange thing is that there was no real booing after the 5-1 Saints game although it definitely merited it. By the end I was simply happy it wasn't more than 5.

While so very true CA, should Hibs ever be conceding 5 goals to St J......never. It's a sad state of affairs that u were not happy that they didn't score more than that.

Long suffering
14-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Stack is bang on. Murray I think gave his all but what was as obvious as a Jim Jefferies lie was that he and Hanlon were the only ones. If he thinks the others did I think someone must have spiked his half time Lucozade:bitchy:

id have given nish and deek pass marks as well

fife hfc
14-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Well after Saturday, I hope Hibs will now realise that the plastic guru known as Watt Nichol is not the answer to motivating the players.

Spend the money on something better than on a silvery tongued operator.

Did we not only use him once and the next game we won. maybe we should hire him full time.

TornadoHibby
14-03-2010, 09:13 PM
i'd be happier if Stack also promised to actually come for a cross ball...at least 3 occasions we were put under more pressure by him being rooted to his line

Sadly not a new phenomenon! :wink:

vahibbie
14-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I think there's a couple of things that come into play here - one is that it's easy enough to identify someone that's not up for the fight, but unless there's a replacement who is good enough (and also not a shirker) then you have to go with what you've got until you can replace them.

The other thing is you have to give these players the opportunity to step up to the level that you are requiring, and some players take longer than others.

Hopefully Yogi knows now what he's got with the players and knows who is worth persevering with and who isn't.

Aye, mibbe so Matty, but I can't help thinking there must be some guys willing to bust a gut to get the chance of a 1st team spot. I'd gladly wait for them to reach the "required level" if they only put in the effort.

Westie1875
14-03-2010, 09:39 PM
id have given nish and deek pass marks as well

Hmmm, Murray, Hanlon, Nish & Deek - what do that lot all have in common?

No prizes for guessing, perhaps they can fill the rest in on how important the cup is to the club and fans.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2010, 11:32 PM
It wasn't the 2-2 draw that we were booing it was the manner in which we meekly surrendered a lead and could (probably should) have lost the game. The last 6 performances have been no better than what was served up under Mixu, and look where that got him.

Correct we were pinned back for long spells and they had at least 4 great chances to win the game. In the 2nd half other than a Nish effort and a few offsides we did nowt. If hibs had battered Ross C in the last 5 mins like they did to us Hibs would have been applauded of the park.
The truth is as soon as the made it 2 - 2 there was only ever going be one team that could win it. That is why they were booed

Dunbar Hibee
14-03-2010, 11:39 PM
Hmmm, Murray, Hanlon, Nish & Deek - what do that lot all have in common?

No prizes for guessing, perhaps they can fill the rest in on how important the cup is to the club and fans.

:top marks

Sir David Gray
14-03-2010, 11:46 PM
In terms of Murray's comments, it's all about what stage of the match the team plays badly that determines whether or not they get booed off at the end.

If, like yesterday, the bad spell comes at the end of the game then I think it's only natural to assume that you'll get a few people booing you off. However, if you play badly for the first 10-15 minutes and then play well after that, chances are there will be no booing.

As it happens, I'm personally not into booing the team but I think the players have to be thick skinned enough to be able to cope with a bit of a barracking at full time. In terms of Scottish football, Hibs is a very big club and we should have the attitude, professionalism and application that enables us to see off a first division side at home to seal a place at Hampden in the semi finals of the Scottish Cup. The fact that we didn't is disappointing and led to the booing at full time.

Jim44
15-03-2010, 09:14 AM
In the fuller quote, Murray says that the team has not played well in the cup at all really. Add to that a huge amount of SPL games where we have underperformed and he should be able to understand the supporters' frustration.

Phil MaGlass
15-03-2010, 09:34 AM
To be honest I will settle for a Cup final slot and 5th place,Id even take 6th behind the yams for a final slot.I do see that the team is a work in progress and theres definitely a couple of players who should be shipped out at the end of the season,theres a chance we may well lose 2 top players as it is.Hughes needs to shore up midfield,gie Murray the armband and start getting tougher players on the pitch,I will give him time,atleast well into next season.I want to see improvement at the moment (to me anyway) we seem to be going backwards,but all it will take is a couple of wins and we will be on a run again.
Bring on the yams.

fiolex1
15-03-2010, 09:41 AM
You could clearly see the desire for Ross County at the game they wanted the ball all the time and made sure they competed for every first ball and second ball, their passing was better than ours even on that pitch.

IMO we have a few prima donnas at the club that are not willing to put in the hard graft, skill alone won't get you there, however we have got time to make ammends if we show the same commitement as Ross County did at our ground we'll go through.

jgl07
15-03-2010, 10:53 AM
LTYF!

Mention of 108 is a dead giveaway!