PDA

View Full Version : Every team with 4 or 5 in the middle will dominate against us

Hibbyradge
14-03-2010, 09:31 AM
We don't have the players for Yogi's system.

It got us results for a while, although we rarely seemed fully in control and now it seems we have been found out.

We rely enormously on our strikers getting and taking chances, but they also have to be extremely mobile and intelligent in their running.

Wotherspoon had a terrible game yesterday, but it didn't help that Stokes refused to run wide to give him an option. Instead, he cut in centrally, presumably hoping for a sniff at goal.

Therefore, when DW had the ball, all he could do was either lump it up the park to the area where BOTH Stokes and Nish now were, or try to cut inside.

When he wasn't robbed of the ball doing this, he found the midfield swamped with the hard working, and numerically advantaged, County players.

Neither he, nor Ian Murray, managed to get forward to support the midfield, and Deek will never be a presence when he drops back.

McBride doesn't cross the halfway line, so we totally rely on Miller and (yesterday) Rankin to create.

We also have no width, which further helps the opposition's plentiful midfielders and hinders us.

I hated it when we played 4 3 3 under Collins. Mixu was no better and Yogi is going down the same path.

I would be happier even if we played 3 at the back, but the simplest solution would be to replace a forward with a midfielder for a 4 4 2. Someone would be disappointed, but they would still get games.

We do have options. Galbraith could do well in a 4 (he was crowded out yesterday) and there's Zemamma to come back. We're also paying Patrick Cregg a wage and, if nothing else, he could add a bit of steel.

Bamba or Murray could move forward too.

Hearts could well have 5 in their midfield next week. They'll definitely have 4. They're obviously a poor side, but if we let them dominate the ball, they could easily see us off.

McLeish once said "win the battles, then win the game". I can't remember when we last won a midfield battle.

Expecting Rain
14-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Yogi`s blind faith in certain systems and certain players is undermining all the good but far from perfect work he had achieved earlier in the season, the backbone of his team is riddled with incompetence, the captain runs as at the same speed as he walks, Rankin is footballs Norman Wisdom and the centre forward completes the pantomime horse that masquerades asa unit up the middle of the pitch, ultimately it is starting to affect the decent players in the team who look like they would rather be somewhere else or confused, sorry back to the system, i totally agree we don`t have the personel or the intelligence to play a 4-3-3 system against anybody, Yogi really has to get back to basics, even if it makes us being hard to beat, he has to make some tough decisions ridding us of the afore mentioned incompetents, playing players where they are comfortable and in a system that they understand.

Franck is God
14-03-2010, 10:43 AM
I always think that formations and systems are for when you don't have the ball. When you do have the ball you need good running and movement, yesterday we had neither and nobody wanted the ball.

I personally like us playing a back four but I want them all to be defenders and I don't care if we have attacking full backs or not, it is not their job.

I also want two strikers on the pitch but only two, I also want them to be able to perform as a partnership.

Leaves you room for four midfielders but not a striker or a defender trying to play in midfield! In midfield you just need balance, someone to play right side, left side, a sitter with a bit of dig and someone with a bit of creativity.

We have players at the club to fill all of those roles and it is the managers job to make the tough decisions on who to put in or leave out, we will not all agree on who those players are but as long as we're playing well and winning who cares.

It really isn't a complicated game, pass to players wearing the same shirt as you and when you get close to the big netty thing hit the ball as hard as you can towards it.....

danhibees1875
14-03-2010, 10:54 AM
I always think that formations and systems are for when you don't have the ball. When you do have the ball you need good running and movement, yesterday we had neither and nobody wanted the ball.

I personally like us playing a back four but I want them all to be defenders and I don't care if we have attacking full backs or not, it is not their job.

I also want two strikers on the pitch but only two, I also want them to be able to perform as a partnership.

Leaves you room for four midfielders but not a striker or a defender trying to play in midfield! In midfield you just need balance, someone to play right side, left side, a sitter with a bit of dig and someone with a bit of creativity.

We have players at the club to fill all of those roles and it is the managers job to make the tough decisions on who to put in or leave out, we will not all agree on who those players are but as long as we're playing well and winning who cares.

It really isn't a complicated game, pass to players wearing the same shirt as you and when you get close to the big netty thing hit the ball as hard as you can towards it.....

Stack
Thicot Hogg Hanlon Murray
wotherspoon Bamaba Miller Galbraith
Stokes Nish

:dunno:

4 solid defenders, a hard working midfield with creativity, 2 hard working strikers.

Riordan for galbraith and zemmama for thicot(wotherspoon moved back) after 60 mins to mix things up. :agree:

Franck is God
14-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Stack

Stokes Nish

4 solid defenders, a hard working midfield with creativity, 2 hard working strikers.

Riordan for galbraith and zemmama for thicot(wotherspoon moved back) after 60 mins to mix things up. :agree:

Not the prettiest side I could ever imagine but its hard working with a bit of guile thrown in. Disagree with Stack as I think he is mince but I wouldn't be gutted to see that team take the field at Tynie next week.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2010, 11:08 AM
Stack
Stokes Nish

The set up has to be along the lines of winning the midfield 4 - 1 - 3 - 2

McCormack or McCann Hanlon Hogg Murray

...............Bamba

WotherSpoon Zemamma Miller

...............Riordan Nish

Stokes has not had much service but it is obvious Deeks is trying and working harder, offers more to the team in terms of set pieces and delivery in to the box, Stokes has contributed zero in the last 3 - 4 games he needs to rest and score from the bench.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2010, 11:59 AM
The set up has to be along the lines of winning the midfield 4 - 1 - 3 - 2

McCormack or McCann Hanlon Hogg Murray

...............Bamba

WotherSpoon Zemamma Miller

...............Riordan Nish

Stokes has not had much service but it is obvious Deeks is trying and working harder, offers more to the team in terms of set pieces and delivery in to the box, Stokes has contributed zero in the last 3 - 4 games he needs to rest and score from the bench.

Hows he gonna manage that?

RIP
14-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Around the time of Mowbray we had Thomson, Brown, Stewart and Beuzelin

Ball-carriers going forward and tacklers coming backwards. All around the centre circle.

We are yet to sign or produce through the system anyone resembling that quality

Andy74
14-03-2010, 01:01 PM
Hughes is sacraficing just a bit in the middle to get more matchwinners on further forward. Looking overall at the season it has worked. All these times we've said we are lucky but won the game guess what we had the players there to do it. Not convinced having more in midfield would mean we'd win more games.

Part/Time Supporter
14-03-2010, 01:04 PM
Hughes is sacraficing just a bit in the middle to get more matchwinners on further forward. Looking overall at the season it has worked. All these times we've said we are lucky but won the game guess what we had the players there to do it. Not convinced having more in midfield would mean we'd win more games.

I kind of agree. It would only work if you could guarantee that the midfield would get on top more often than not. A middle four of (say) Zemmama, Miller, McBride and Rankin / Stevenson wouldn't do that most weeks IMO. Yesterday (and the week before) you would have had to maybe play both Rankin and Stevenson.

Hibbyradge
14-03-2010, 01:06 PM

With 4 in the middle, we might compete in games and we might actually control some.

Hibbyradge
14-03-2010, 01:08 PM
I kind of agree. It would only work if you could guarantee that the midfield would get on top more often than not. A middle four of (say) Zemmama, Miller, McBride and Rankin / Stevenson wouldn't do that most weeks IMO. Yesterday (and the week before) you would have had to maybe play both Rankin and Stevenson.

Bamba, Murray and Wotherspoon can also play in midfield.

We also have Cregg kicking his heels so we have options.

Part/Time Supporter
14-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Bamba, Murray and Wotherspoon can also play in midfield.

Then who do you play in defence? Everyone and his dug seemingly wants to drop Hogg.

We also have Cregg kicking his heels so we have options.

Cregg's another central midfield player. I think there is a lack of two-way players in the wide areas of the pitch.

silverhibee
14-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Stack
Stokes Nish

Nish is suspeneded for yams game, and anyone who wants to start the young lad Galbraith against the yams is of there head imo.

Hibbyradge
14-03-2010, 01:18 PM
Then who do you play in defence? Everyone and his dug seemingly wants to drop Hogg.

I'm not suggesting moving all three at the same time, but any of them in the middle would give us more dig.

Hogg, and all the other defenders, would be less exposed if we had more in the middle.

Cregg's another central midfield player. I think there is a lack of two-way players in the wide areas of the pitch.

I agree, but he gives us options. And he's a hard bugger.

Hibbyradge
14-03-2010, 01:19 PM
Nish is suspeneded for yams game, and anyone who wants to start the young lad Galbraith against the yams is of there head imo.

You have a point, but this isn't just about next week.

seanraff07
14-03-2010, 01:39 PM
We have been to lightweight in midfield all season, that's why i'd like to see Bamba in a sitting midfield role.:agree:

danhibees1875
14-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Not the prettiest side I could ever imagine but its hard working with a bit of guile thrown in. Disagree with Stack as I think he is mince but I wouldn't be gutted to see that team take the field at Tynie next week.

I wouldn't stack was mince, Id be happy with either Stack or Smith - neither have done anything wrong in my eyes in their time here. :agree:

Maybe, but I think from what Ive seen he is a very good(one of our best) attacking option, and isn't shy when it comes to tracking back and putting in a - usually pretty weak - tackle.

No way he would last the 90, but if he was to appear in teh starting 11 on saturday I certainly wouldn't be complaining.

Benji or Riordan instead of Nish then. :agree:

Franck is God
14-03-2010, 03:07 PM
Jambo Jim is filling his team with under 19s at the moment, is there right back not still a teenager himself so having someone with pace that will take him on in my opinion is essential, for all Deeks qualities that is not one of them, he can do it but just doesn't.

Hearts are a pretty young and inexperienced side at the moment and I'd struggle to name their 11 right now, as they don't have a lot going forward they have to dictate the pace from the centre, if we control the middle the game is ours to win.

GlesgaeHibby
14-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Around the time of Mowbray we had Thomson, Brown, Stewart and Beuzelin

Ball-carriers going forward and tacklers coming backwards. All around the centre circle.

We are yet to sign or produce through the system anyone resembling that quality

:agree: Arguably the best midfield in the SPL at the time.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 05:29 PM

We're in a position where we are able to scoer 1 or 2 out of 4 or 5 chances created because of the talent we have at the top end of the pitch. The problem is we are only creating a few chances a game because the midfield is under so much pressure.

In Riordan we have a player who is a top quality forward, but at this moment in time he's an ineffective left midfielder who occassionaly bangs a terrific goal or two in.

Getting a balance in midfield would give the two (or one, depending on the formation) strikers the opportunities to do what they do best, more often - score goals.

Miller and McBride are usually very good together, but they cannot hold the midfield together when they're being so massively outnumbered in games as the two wide midfielders are posted missing when we're not in possession.

Dr Jimmy
14-03-2010, 05:38 PM
We're in a position where we are able to scoer 1 or 2 out of 4 or 5 chances created because of the talent we have at the top end of the pitch. The problem is we are only creating a few chances a game because the midfield is under so much pressure.

In Riordan we have a player who is a top quality forward, but at this moment in time he's an ineffective left midfielder who occassionaly bangs a terrific goal or two in.

Getting a balance in midfield would give the two (or one, depending on the formation) strikers the opportunities to do what they do best, more often - score goals.

Miller and McBride are usually very good together, but they cannot hold the midfield together when they're being so massively outnumbered in games as the two wide midfielders are posted missing when we're not in possession.

:top marks.....that is our problem in a nutshell. Yogi give them a hand FFS!

Andy74
14-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Why is it we played our best football with riordan and zouma wide and miller and mcbride in the middle? Too much pish talked about systems and things that us fans suggest are obvious! For me it's pretty clear that we are a good team regardless of systems when we have all our best players fit and confident and when the pitches are good. We don't really have the players for a plan b but we will get there. One more of our current midfield att he expense of any of our current forwards would make no odds.

Hibs90
14-03-2010, 06:00 PM
What I would like to see v Hearts:

Stack
Hogg Bamba Hanlon
Spooon McBride Miller Murray Galbraith
Stokes Riordan
Or you could swap Bamba and Murray around, Galbraith and Spoon can switch sides and track back if needs be or McBride/Murray can fill in at RB/LB if needs be.

What Yogi will play v Hearts:

Stack
Spoon Hogg Bamba Murray
McBride
Miller----------- Rankin
--------------Benji-------------------Riordan
Stokes
:blah:

SalfordHibs
14-03-2010, 06:02 PM
You have a point, but this isn't just about next week.

Nish ahead of Riordan :bitchy:

SalfordHibs
14-03-2010, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Meeko;2387573]What I would like to see v Hearts:

Smith
Bamba Hanlon Murray
Thicot
Spooon McBride Miller Galbraith
Stokes Riordan

Spike Mandela
14-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon Hogg Hanlon Murray

Zemamma Miller McBride Rankin Riordan

Stokes

Would suit the game for me:thumbsup:

SalfordHibs
14-03-2010, 06:12 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon Hogg :bitchy: Hanlon Murray

Zemamma Miller McBride Rankin :bitchy: Riordan

Stokes

Formation is all wrong got to be a 442.

FRes Hibbie
14-03-2010, 06:54 PM
Nothing complicated, we're at Tynie and Hearts will probably have a lot of the ball so anything the players aren't 100% comfortable with will probably be exploited as Hearts WILL be up for it.

We need a defence that is familiar with each other, a midfield that consists of more than 2 players and is willing to work hard when we don't have the ball, and a forward pairing that are likely to retain possession when we do get it to them and have a bit of pace (seeing as we lack a genuine physical presence there).

If it were up to me it'd be,

............Smith

Thicot. Bamba. Hogg. Murray

Wotherspoon. McBride. Miller. Rankin

..........Benji. Stokes.

A bit harsh on Hanlon perhaps but Hogg (for all his faults) is more experienced and used to Edinburgh derbies. Having Bamba in the team is a no-brainer for me.

A simple midfield with 4 actual MIDFIELDERS - get Riordan away from left midfield pronto. Rankin has his limits but he is a decent player, a hard worker and actually is a midfielder. Wotherspoon would have a chance to play in his actual position and he (along with Miller) would hopefully ensure that we aren't lacking in creativity in the middle of the park.

In the absense of a proper right-back (and so we could push Wotherspoon into midfield) I'd give Thicot a shot there.

Benji is a better footballer than Nish and, in my opinion, can hold the ball up better (keeping possession up-front will be very important), we also have the added bonus of knowing that he's playing for a new contract so he'll know a good performance against Hearts would go a long way to getting it.

I'm a big fan of Deek but I think this could well be the sort of game where he'd be more effective coming off the bench (hopefully a bit p!ssed off that he didn't start). Also, chuck Galbraith on later in the game (in place of Rankin) and we have a player perfect for getting our 2nd goal as Hearts chase an equaliser. :wink:.

Dashing Bob S
14-03-2010, 06:55 PM

I think you've nailed it Matty. We need more industry and sheer brawn and, well, bodies, in the centre of the park, to let us compete. Yogi (like Collins and Mixu before him) are to be complimented on their positive desire to play three up front, and it works in the first phase of the season when the league is more open and the pitches are decent. Once the teams have met twice though, it becomes more of a war of attrition in the SPL, and we have to match the number of bodies in the middle on the slower, heavier pitches, or be overwhelmed as is happening now.

We have the players who can get goals out of nothing, but we simply can't afford the luxury of having waves of opposition players waltzing through the middle of the park towards an increasingly nervous and exposed Hogg and Wotherspoon.

Bamba has lost his way in defence since his return, so time to put him back in the middle, where he excelled last season. Rankin works hard, but I would rather have Thicot or Stevenson in there at the moment. Like the idea of D-Spoon in right midfield.

Once we've established some kind of ascendancy in a game, then give the likes of Zommer a run.

FRes Hibbie
14-03-2010, 07:07 PM
I think you've nailed it Matty. We need more industry and sheer brawn and, well, bodies, in the centre of the park, to let us compete. Yogi (like Collins and Mixu before him) are to be complimented on their positive desire to play three up front, and it works in the first phase of the season when the league is more open and the pitches are decent. Once the teams have met twice though, it becomes more of a war of attrition in the SPL, and we have to match the number of bodies in the middle on the slower, heavier pitches, or be overwhelmed as is happening now.

We have the players who can get goals out of nothing, but we simply can't afford the luxury of having waves of opposition players waltzing through the middle of the park towards an increasingly nervous and exposed Hogg and Wotherspoon.

Bamba has lost his way in defence since his return, so time to put him back in the middle, where he excelled last season. Rankin works hard, but I would rather have Thicot or Stevenson in there at the moment. Like the idea of D-Spoon in right midfield.

Once we've established some kind of ascendancy in a game, then give the likes of Zommer a run.

Personally, I think the reason for Bamba having 'lost his way' is because of the above bold. If we had a midfield consisting of 4 actual midfielders we'd see an improvement in the defence as well as midfield. IMO, as long as we had two of Stokes, Deek and Benji playing up-front we would still have a potent strikeforce capable of scoring goals out of nothing.

seanraff07
14-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Stack

Wotherspoon Hogg Hanlon Murray

Zemamma Miller McBride Rankin Riordan

Stokes

I'm not a fan of us playing 4-3-3 at the moment but i wouldn't go with a 4-5-1, has to be a 4-4-2, and ffs Yogi can Riordan please be one of they two strikers.:grr:

silverhibee
14-03-2010, 11:49 PM
What I would like to see v Hearts:

Stack
Hogg Bamba Hanlon
Spooon McBride Miller Murray Galbraith
Stokes Riordan
Or you could swap Bamba and Murray around, Galbraith and Spoon can switch sides and track back if needs be or McBride/Murray can fill in at RB/LB if needs be.

What Yogi will play v Hearts:

Stack
Spoon Hogg Bamba Murray
McBride
Miller----------- Rankin
--------------Benji-------------------Riordan
Stokes
:blah:

If Yogi puts Benji any where near the team against the yams i will start to wonder if Yogi is the right man to take Hibs forward, Benji was an absolute joke on Saturday who really didn't care if Hibs progressed to the semi finals or not, he looked totally lost out there against RC.

silverhibee
14-03-2010, 11:53 PM
Nothing complicated, we're at Tynie and Hearts will probably have a lot of the ball so anything the players aren't 100% comfortable with will probably be exploited as Hearts WILL be up for it.

We need a defence that is familiar with each other, a midfield that consists of more than 2 players and is willing to work hard when we don't have the ball, and a forward pairing that are likely to retain possession when we do get it to them and have a bit of pace (seeing as we lack a genuine physical presence there).

If it were up to me it'd be,

............Smith

Thicot. Bamba. Hogg. Murray

Wotherspoon. McBride. Miller. Rankin

..........Benji. Stokes.

A bit harsh on Hanlon perhaps but Hogg (for all his faults) is more experienced and used to Edinburgh derbies. Having Bamba in the team is a no-brainer for me.

A simple midfield with 4 actual MIDFIELDERS - get Riordan away from left midfield pronto. Rankin has his limits but he is a decent player, a hard worker and actually is a midfielder. Wotherspoon would have a chance to play in his actual position and he (along with Miller) would hopefully ensure that we aren't lacking in creativity in the middle of the park.

In the absense of a proper right-back (and so we could push Wotherspoon into midfield) I'd give Thicot a shot there.

Benji is a better footballer than Nish and, in my opinion, can hold the ball up better (keeping possession up-front will be very important), we also have the added bonus of knowing that he's playing for a new contract so he'll know a good performance against Hearts would go a long way to getting it.

I'm a big fan of Deek but I think this could well be the sort of game where he'd be more effective coming off the bench (hopefully a bit p!ssed off that he didn't start). Also, chuck Galbraith on later in the game (in place of Rankin) and we have a player perfect for getting our 2nd goal as Hearts chase an equaliser. :wink:.

Benji, did you see him play on Saturday, gutless perfomance from him. He better not be any where near the starting 11 on Saturday.

The_Horde
15-03-2010, 01:12 AM
I'll have something like this.

[stack/smith/brown] (take your pick of the 3)

Wotherspoon Hogg Bamba Murray

Zemmama Miller Mcbride Rankin

.............................Deeks
.........Stokes

Deeks can do whatever the **** he wants when we're on the ball and can tuck in when we don't.

We have a mix of graft and craft in midfield with pretty much all 4 of midfielders more than able to put their foot on the ball and pass it around a bit.

It won't happen though. :dizzy:

bighairyfaeleith
15-03-2010, 06:25 AM
I would go for

Stack

Mcbride Bamba

Wother Miller Zemmama

Stokes

Say goodnight jambo **** :greengrin

Tollhouse Hibee
15-03-2010, 09:10 AM
Folks

for me we need at least 4 in midfield, and actually need some width in the game for the first time this season. How we achieve that, i dont actually care, but dont think stokes and riordan are physical enough to play as a front 2.

Also - how stack can keep his place is beyond me. he is glued to his line, and although he made a couple of good saves, could have prevented a lot of pressure if he had come charging off his line and acted as an auxiliary sweeper on a few occasions.

Smith must be the unluckiest person at ER. It was not his fault we got stuffed in Perth.

J-C
15-03-2010, 09:30 AM
Again we play 3 in midfield and again another hard working team sticks 4/5 in there and out work/play us. We are to rliant on our 3 strikers getting us out of bother and the midfield has disappeared in the past 2 months or so.

Miller looks lightweight at times, does some nice stuff but gets outmuscled all the time.

Rankin works hard, put in tackles but no end product.

McBride is playing with a dodgy foot and hasn't been the same since his injury, not 100%

Riordan is out of position and wasted left mid, get him back up top.

Zouma has been missed the past 2 months, when he does play he's not match fit and doesn't fancy the physical stuff.

Cregg is gash.

Stevenson has reached his level, half a season of decency and that was that.

Wotherspoon is being wasted, a top class young talented right midfielder, who can beat a man and cross a ball, get him back to where he belongs.

Thicot, continually on the bench so must be showing something in training, always done well when asked upon, so give him his chance.

Bamba, was outstanding as our tackling midfielder last year and we've never replaced him there, Hanlon is a capable deputy for him in defense.

Murray too can play in left midfield, started his career there and still like to go forward when he gets a chance.

Andy74
15-03-2010, 09:49 AM
Again we play 3 in midfield and again another hard working team sticks 4/5 in there and out work/play us. We are to rliant on our 3 strikers getting us out of bother and the midfield has disappeared in the past 2 months or so.

Miller looks lightweight at times, does some nice stuff but gets outmuscled all the time.

Rankin works hard, put in tackles but no end product.

McBride is playing with a dodgy foot and hasn't been the same since his injury, not 100%

Riordan is out of position and wasted left mid, get him back up top.

Zouma has been missed the past 2 months, when he does play he's not match fit and doesn't fancy the physical stuff.

Cregg is gash.

Stevenson has reached his level, half a season of decency and that was that.

Wotherspoon is being wasted, a top class young talented right midfielder, who can beat a man and cross a ball, get him back to where he belongs.

Thicot, continually on the bench so must be showing something in training, always done well when asked upon, so give him his chance.

Bamba, was outstanding as our tackling midfielder last year and we've never replaced him there, Hanlon is a capable deputy for him in defense.

Murray too can play in left midfield, started his career there and still like to go forward when he gets a chance.

We can't be playing 3 in midfield AND be playing Riordan left midfield.

Expecting Rain
15-03-2010, 09:56 AM
Why is it we played our best football with riordan and zouma wide and miller and mcbride in the middle? Too much pish talked about systems and things that us fans suggest are obvious! For me it's pretty clear that we are a good team regardless of systems when we have all our best players fit and confident and when the pitches are good. We don't really have the players for a plan b but we will get there. One more of our current midfield att he expense of any of our current forwards would make no odds.

Systems and formations are topics that i find interesting like a lot of my fellow Hibees and not exclusive to your obviously expert opinion on all footballing matters at Easter Road, if you think it is a lot of pish feel free to spout off on other threads.

Andy74
15-03-2010, 10:01 AM
Systems and formations are topics that i find interesting like a lot of my fellow Hibees and not exclusive to your obviously expert opinion on all footballing matters at Easter Road, if you think it is a lot of pish feel free to spout off on other threads.

No, quite happy commenting on this one thanks.

J-C
15-03-2010, 10:27 AM
We can't be playing 3 in midfield AND be playing Riordan left midfield.

I think that's the problem, where exactly is Riordan playing right now, is he part of a 4 man midfield wide left or part of a 3 man strike force playing wide left, he seems to be neither.

SalfordHibs
15-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Smith

Bamba Hanlon Murray
Thicot

Wotherspoon Miller McBride Galbraith

Riordan Stokes

Subs
Benji
Zouma
Stevenson
McCormack
Stack

Job Done.

bathhibby
15-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Has Yogi specifically addressed the question that against Teams with 4 in midfield or filled with big Lads we struggle.

Its easily fixable, put big Sol in there to stiffen things up.

But why has he never answered this question at press Conferences instead all that Character Push

Answers on a Postcard to Mr J Hughes

Cocaine&Caviar
15-03-2010, 10:44 AM
Mark Kerr is out of contract in the summer...

Dinkydoo
15-03-2010, 11:21 AM
We need to have a balanced midfield and only a couple of strikers on the park at any given moment. At present we're sacraficing the midfield for attack (if that makes sense) like we did under Mixu. Not that I'm comparing Yogi to Mixu, in managerial terms Yogi has achieved more in a season than Mixu did in 3 (or 2 1/2).

It's all very well having 3 or 4 attacking players on the park but if there isn't any service and they waste time tracking back then it kind of defeats the purpose if you ask me. we need people like Deeks and Stokes to stay relatively far up the pitch so when our midfield have the ball they can look up and see that our main goal scorers are already in a lethal position should they recieve the ball.

--------------------------Smith--------------------------
W'spoon----------Hogg----------Hanlon--------------Murray

Zuma------------Miller---------McBride------------Galbraith

------------------Stokes------Deeks----------------

The only thing with the above setup is Galbraith and Zuma need to track back and provide cover for our fullbacks - considering Galbraith's pace and Zuma's ball skills I wouldn't have thought tracking back and then beating players when they have the ball would be a problem......

seanraff07
15-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Mark Kerr is out of contract in the summer...

I don't think he'd make a big difference to our team, i'd rather get Buaben or Gomis from Dundee.Utd.

Amit
15-03-2010, 09:20 PM
--------------------------Smith--------------------------
W'spoon----------Bamba----------Hanlon--------------Murray

Zuma------------Miller---------McBride------------Galbraith

------------------Stokes------Deeks----------------

I like this team... would drop Hogg for Bamba ... Think Hogwarts has had enough chances and needs a spell on the bench....

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
15-03-2010, 09:31 PM
I'd drop McBride for Bamba. McBride just isn't strong enough, looked okay for a bit but is getting found out now.

Speedway
15-03-2010, 10:00 PM

On that basis, we're saying that when we're all in shape and feel like playing and the pitch is deemed to be 'Hibs Class'; we can give anyone a game.

THat's our problem we play in a league of carthorses and plowed fields, we get maracana conditions once a season or less. Hibs have to be able to compete under any circumstances like everyone else.

flash
16-03-2010, 05:58 AM

You forgot to mention high tide and a full moon. :rolleyes:

Andy74
16-03-2010, 08:28 AM
On that basis, we're saying that when we're all in shape and feel like playing and the pitch is deemed to be 'Hibs Class'; we can give anyone a game.

THat's our problem we play in a league of carthorses and plowed fields, we get maracana conditions once a season or less. Hibs have to be able to compete under any circumstances like everyone else.

That's true, but we don't really have the players for that right now. We want to see skilful players with that wee bit extra class and for Hibs that means they generally lack something else.

We do need different types sometimes, problem is we don't really have them. I don't see any of Cregg, Thicot or Stevenson turning things around which is why I'm at a bit of a loss as to what Hughes is supposed to do right now to change things.

He's been in 8 months and he's brought us in some great, skilful players and so we just need to be mindful that it can't all be done at once. I've heard him say previously he wants a couple of 6 foot plus midfield players but he hasn't found any available yet that are good enough.

It's easy to say get some in, it's more difficult to get them in when you want. It'll come though.

Speedway
16-03-2010, 08:35 AM
That's true, but we don't really have the players for that right now. We want to see skilful players with that wee bit extra class and for Hibs that means they generally lack something else.

We do need different types sometimes, problem is we don't really have them. I don't see any of Cregg, Thicot or Stevenson turning things around which is why I'm at a bit of a loss as to what Hughes is supposed to do right now to change things.

He's been in 8 months and he's brought us in some great, skilful players and so we just need to be mindful that it can't all be done at once. I've heard him say previously he wants a couple of 6 foot plus midfield players but he hasn't found any available yet that are good enough.

It's easy to say get some in, it's more difficult to get them in when you want. It'll come though.

I agree with your whole post bar the last three words. It won't come. Hibs will always struggle to get the quality in the door to fill up an entire XI. We've got a Stack, Stokes and Miller right now of a quality I deem to be able to progress us in Europe. The wage bill won't handle more quality and keep what we've got when only 10-12,000 showing up and their negativity transmitting to the pitch.

Sadly, I believe Hughes will get restless once this principle comes home to roost and do a Mowbray/Collins.

In the meantime, we're still the soft touch Hughes thought we were, when we took over.