PDA

View Full Version : Hibs players you didn't actually like very much while playing for the club?

Mag7
14-03-2010, 12:08 AM
I'm not talking about guys who you just thought were c**p players or guys like Paul Hartley went on to become figures of revulsion after leaving Hibs, but have there ever been any players you just couldn't warm to while playing in a green and white shirt?

For me there are a few. Ray Wilkins was one. I also always found it hard to like Gary Caldwell and Rob Jones. Both did decent enough jobs for the club for most of the time but overall left me cold. Not really sure why, but I never really liked Darren Jackson despite the fact he scored a stack of great goals for us.

Older fans, I imagine, will suggest Joe Harper.

Wembley67
14-03-2010, 12:13 AM
i have a particular dislike for riordan. Good player but i just feel he could achieve so much more.

Bayern Bru
14-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Jarko Wiss was almost universally hated. :wink:

I never warmed to Zarabi.

Makaveli
14-03-2010, 12:15 AM
Fletcher, dunno why.

Diclonius
14-03-2010, 12:41 AM
Zibi Malkowski.

Apart from that.. Nah. :bitchy:

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Michael stewart, a top drawer bellend.

Gatecrasher
14-03-2010, 12:54 AM
Thierry ghatuseless

HibeeUnderwood
14-03-2010, 01:10 AM
I mostly try to give all the players that wear the green and white a chance, regardless of whether they turned out to be useful or useless :agree:

But two that I never warmed too all that much were Ross Chisholm and Denes Rosa :bitchy:

Just felt that we had better players out there and yet those two were getting picked regularly late into last season :grr:

Bayern Bru
14-03-2010, 01:14 AM
I mostly try to give all the players that wear the green and white a chance, regardless of whether they turned out to be useful or useless :agree:

But two that I never warmed too all that much were Ross Chisholm and Denes Rosa :bitchy:

Just felt that we had better players out there and yet those two were getting picked regularly late into last season :grr:

Still think someone in the mould of Rosa wouldn't go amiss in our midfield though...

jakki
14-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Not a player but a manager- Jock Stein. I disliked him as he banned his son from speaking to me and my two friends, We used to get in his car after a match to listen to the results. We didn'y abuse his car once by smoking in it, leaving sweety papers etc.

Then I hated him for selling Ronnie Simpson to Celtic and in the same telephone conversation confirming his own move to Celtic. This conversation was heard by my cousin who was a telephone operator and she told me the facts long before they were announced in the papers.

LaMotta
14-03-2010, 01:20 AM

I know Michael Stewart and he used to go on nights out with Ian Murray, mates from their Scotland u21 days.

Having met them both I can honestly say that Mikey is a good guy, but Ian Murray was a 'top drawer bellend'.

Latapy1911
14-03-2010, 01:26 AM
Fletcher, dunno why.

same

missed so many open goals and had so many bad games most overrated player we've had

doing ok with burnley who are gonna go down tho!

Cameron1875
14-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Chris Hogg:offski::wink:

Yeh fletcher was one as for all the goals he scored he would frustrate the life out of me for not using his right foot and missing some sitters.

Whittaker was another as i didnt really feel he was a very good defender but more of a winger. Proved me wrong though and still think selling him when we did was a bit stupid.

Hibs On Tour
14-03-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm not talking about guys who you just thought were c**p players or guys like Paul Hartley went on to become figures of revulsion after leaving Hibs, but have there ever been any players you just couldn't warm to while playing in a green and white shirt?

For me there are a few. Ray Wilkins was one. I also always found it hard to like Gary Caldwell and Rob Jones. Both did decent enough jobs for the club for most of the time but overall left me cold. Not really sure why, but I never really liked Darren Jackson despite the fact he scored a stack of great goals for us.

Older fans, I imagine, will suggest Joe Harper.

Gary Caldwell I never liked. Joe T too. No real reason either. Thought big Jonesy was a breath of fresh air and loved it when he appeared! Opinions eh? :greengrin

lucky
14-03-2010, 02:35 AM
Ali ''Benny'' Brazil, I think he married Tom Hartrs daughter. He was pants

NOLA
14-03-2010, 02:56 AM
Andy Watson:grr: say no more, It's a Family forum.

Frogga
14-03-2010, 03:07 AM
I was not a fan of Chisholm or Gattheussi.

I strongly disliked Antoine-Curier based on his reputation and history when he first signed for Hibs but really warmed to the big fella. Probably the biggest turnaround I've had for one player.

Out of the current bunch I think Darren McCormack is the one who bothers me the most - I think he was lucky he had DVZ to be compared to at RB last season. Imo its a bit like Cherie Blair - doesn't look that braw, but if she stood next to Susan Boyle she'd look like a right ol' dish.

Anyway metaphors aside I hope DM proves me wrong.

zlatan
14-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Gary Caldwell and Filipe Morais, although not exactly hate, just thought they seemed a tad twatty.

Grof as well.

hibsbollah
14-03-2010, 08:02 AM
Rankin. theres just something irritating about the way he runs about looking busy but always has his shirt tucked in.

Nish. Recently he always looks like he's trying to solve a difficult sudoku.

Hibs On Tour
14-03-2010, 08:43 AM
Aw the hibs.net admins. Pricks.

Oh crap - wrong thread! :devil:

Iain G
14-03-2010, 08:51 AM
Tam McManus, cocky and nowhere near as good as he thought he was...

El Gubbz
14-03-2010, 08:58 AM
I hate Deek

lyonhibs
14-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Thierry ghatuseless

Me too. Just couldn't quite find it in myself to like him for some reason..................

Others:

Ross Chisholm
Jarkko Wiss
Gary Caldwell
Michael Renwick - tho I may be breaking one of the clauses stated in the OP, because my oh my was he *****e!!!
The Brown/Malkowski duo, although again, see above.
Riordan irritates the living **** out of me as well. So talented, yet has now resorted to getting the ball in, taking a touch to intentionally get the ball in the air then hooking it over his head in the vague direction (or often not) of a striker.
Wotherspoon's inability to defend is getting on my thru' penny's as well, though he'll come good once he's a) got his confidence back and b) played in his best position, which must surely be RM.

johnrebus
14-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Brian Hamilton

:boo hoo:

bongo'd
14-03-2010, 09:23 AM
Dave Beaumont still gives me nightmares:agree:

hibee_girl
14-03-2010, 09:30 AM
I hated Stuart Lovell for so long then suddenly changed my mind about him :greengrin

Could never warm to Garry O'Connor

hibsbollah
14-03-2010, 09:36 AM

Really?:confused:

One of my favourite ever Hibs players.

hibee_girl
14-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Really?:confused:

One of my favourite ever Hibs players.

Yeah, never liked him

Captain Trips
14-03-2010, 09:58 AM
I actually dont think much of most players.

yekimevol
14-03-2010, 10:41 AM
wiss, konte, nish, murdoch, orman, zibi, brown, mcneil

Franck is God
14-03-2010, 11:27 AM
As I don't know any of the payers personally and they are simply doing what they are paid to do (and not always very well) I couldn't care less whether I liked them or not. Most players when they are interviewed give answers they think the fans will apreciate, maybe some of them mean it but I never find them particularly sincere. I almost find it quite refreshing when players are honest and talk about moving to bigger clubs, at least they have some ambition to be better players.

I do have a bit of time for guys like Ivan Sproule, to me he always seemed like a footie fan that would have played for free but suddenly found himself playing and getting paid for it.

O'Rourke3
14-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Roy Barry, seemed to have been brought in to kick everything else on the park. We seemed to play less beautiful football while he was there.

I know I'm going to get pelters for this one but Mickey Weir. Always played well/raised his game for Hearts and Rangers and because he never got abuse from the crowd, did what he wanted in every other game. Major talent with loads of skill but picked his games and tried to do everything himself in the easier ones. Rather than simply beating the man once, getting to a line and putting in a telling pass/cross to whichever forward was on the park screaming for that pass. No Weir would cut inside and run into 4 defenders losing the ball. Meanwhile the crowd would be giving Tortellano and Hamilton the abuse.

CallumLaidlaw
14-03-2010, 11:53 AM
David Grof, Mikey Stewart, Simon Brown

hibsdaft
14-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I also always found it hard to like Gary Caldwell and Rob Jones.

the same. both just seemed totally full of themselves. the type of tossers who'd scream at a young lad making his debut for making a wee error when it was probably them that was at fault.

that said i've heard GC speaking on the radio and he comes over better in that medium.

Hibbie_Cameron
14-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Caldwell and Jones for me

Cocaine&Caviar
14-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Rankin, not me personally but a lot of haters out there...

seanraff07
14-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Thierry ghatuseless

He scored a peach against Celtic at ER before.:bitchy:

Biff Tannen
14-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Roy Barry, seemed to have been brought in to kick everything else on the park. We seemed to play less beautiful football while he was there.

I know I'm going to get pelters for this one but Mickey Weir. Always played well/raised his game for Hearts and Rangers and because he never got abuse from the crowd, did what he wanted in every other game. Major talent with loads of skill but picked his games and tried to do everything himself in the easier ones. Rather than simply beating the man once, getting to a line and putting in a telling pass/cross to whichever forward was on the park screaming for that pass. No Weir would cut inside and run into 4 defenders losing the ball. Meanwhile the crowd would be giving Tortellano and Hamilton the abuse.

Mickey Weir's a legend and would do anything to wear the green and white jersey. Also it's spelt Tortolano...another legend:bye:

matty_f
14-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Colin Murdock. Terrible, terrible, terrible player.

In saying that, I can't say I've ever hated a player while they've been turning out for Hibs, disliked a few, but never hated them.

blackpoolhibs
14-03-2010, 04:11 PM
I know Michael Stewart and he used to go on nights out with Ian Murray, mates from their Scotland u21 days.

Having met them both I can honestly say that Mikey is a good guy, but Ian Murray was a 'top drawer bellend'.

Never met either, but i still think Stewarts a ****.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 04:12 PM
Never met either, but i still think Stewarts a ****.

I was at a supporter's function during Nid's first spell at the club, and he was at my table along with Colgan and Laursen. He couldn't have been nicer and was as far removed from being a 'top drawer bell-end' as I am from fitting into Kate Moss's jeans.

Sergey
14-03-2010, 05:25 PM
Colin Murdock. Terrible, terrible, terrible player.

In saying that, I can't say I've ever hated a player while they've been turning out for Hibs, disliked a few, but never hated them.

There is one that I hated and still do to this day. Ray Wilkins.

Dunbar Hibee
14-03-2010, 05:29 PM
I hate Deek

Have a word.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 05:32 PM
Have a word.
:agree:

****** knows how anyone that supports Hibs could hate Derek Riordan!

Hibee_Lisa
14-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Can't warm to Hogg and more so Stevenson.

sixtwo
14-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Ray Wilkins made me feel ill. I'm sure we got heavily pumped at Ibrox and he went off the pitch applauding the home fans. Not only that but he is a slimey friend of rix! He gies me the dry boak!

I disliked Zarabi. Poor player with a worse attitude.

Paul Hartley annoyed me while he was at the club, now I just hate him with a passion!

I get the same annoyed feeling with Rankin. I just don't get him. what does he do for the team? What are his strengths? He is too confident for his limited ability and has a horrible wee plastic shiney face.

Dunbar Hibee
14-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Ray Wilkins made me feel ill. I'm sure we got heavily pumped at Ibrox and he went off the pitch applauding the home fans. Not only that but he is a slimey friend of rix! He gies me the dry boak!

Paul Hartley annoyed me while he was at the club, now I just hate him with a passion!

I get the same annoyed feeling with Rankin. I just don't get him. what does he do for the team? What are his strengths? He is too confident for his limited ability and has a horrible wee plastic shiney face.

Still a current Hibs player at the end of the day ffs.

sixtwo
14-03-2010, 07:49 PM

Still a current Hibs player at the end of the day ffs.

So I can't comment on his plastic looking features until he signs for someone else?! Away and lie in yer ain pish!:faf:

Hainan Hibs
14-03-2010, 07:50 PM
I struggle to like Derek Riordan but it's nothing to do with him. It's his fan club who act like 5 year old girls taking a tantrum when someone dares criticise him.

Most player's I've disliked for a lack of effort, being crap or demanding moves away giving it the billy big time so I'd probably break the OP's outline.

brydekirk
14-03-2010, 07:53 PM
sean dennis. remember against rankers, he missed a goal from 12 inches that came off the crossbar and went out. total doughnut.

God Petrie
14-03-2010, 07:58 PM
Gonna get slated for this but never had time for Mixu when he played for us.

TRC
14-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Townsley why oh why, met him once in Ricks bar, after he had scored against dumfermline 1-1 if my mind is right, tosser, asked him if he was enjoying playing for the hibs and he just shrugged, Wiss on the other hand was there and was a nice guy came up to us started chatting, said he was enjoying hibs and edinburgh, Townsley's face always looked like it was melting like rankin if he got to close to a fire:wink:

Billychaotic182
14-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I HATED Ross Chisholm. They boy was soooo bad!

Pretty Boy
14-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Willie Miller- His attitude towards the end of the relegation season was absolutely shocking.

Tam McManus- Total prima donna of the highest order. All patter and ego but was a spectacularly average football player.

Billychaotic182
14-03-2010, 08:57 PM
Willie Miller- His attitude towards the end of the relegation season was absolutely shocking.

Tam McManus- Total prima donna of the highest order. All patter and ego but was a spectacularly average football player.

Haha Tam was my Fave player when i was in my early Teens lol.

Will never forget the day he pole danced after scoring against Utd

Ray_
14-03-2010, 09:02 PM
Agathe & Colin Stein, although both when they moved on & for different reasons. Colin Stein, you just had to, it was expected & he was the first to break my heart by moving and he kept scoring goals against us. Agathe, he was a insulting p*** take.

H18sry
14-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I hated Stuart Lovell for so long then suddenly changed my mind about him :greengrin

How the mighty have fallen, Archie was waiting to go on the corn exchange pitches after us tonite only to get shunted in to the sticks :faf:

LaMotta
14-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I was at a supporter's function during Nid's first spell at the club, and he was at my table along with Colgan and Laursen. He couldn't have been nicer and was as far removed from being a 'top drawer bell-end' as I am from fitting into Kate Moss's jeans.

Good to see that players can behave themselves when they are representing the club.

steviecarnie
14-03-2010, 09:57 PM
jim leighton his inability to kick a ball down the park, without it going out of play annoyed me intensly as a boy.

Dunbar Hibee
15-03-2010, 02:28 AM
[QUOTE=Dunbar Hibee;2387675]

So I can't comment on his plastic looking features until he signs for someone else?! Away and lie in yer ain pish!:faf:

Get a grip of yourself man.

Speedy
15-03-2010, 03:21 AM
David Grof, Mikey Stewart, Simon Brown

I can't believe it took so long.

I didn't really like Morais, not that keen on Riordan and I'm developing a disliking towards Bamba as well.

I may be breaking the rules with Bamba, it's not that he's crap but I get the feeling he doesn't want to be here/thinks he can be somewhere better.

Dashing Bob S
15-03-2010, 08:39 AM
Sauzee and Stanton. Both a disgrace to the jersey. Never could understand the love in.

:faf: Anybody bite? No, never disliked any Hibs player. Even liked Brian Kerr AS A PERSON.

Keith_M
15-03-2010, 11:03 AM

Or getting into her pants.

:wink:

hibee_girl
15-03-2010, 11:06 AM
I can't believe it took so long.

I didn't really like Morais, not that keen on Riordan and I'm developing a disliking towards Bamba as well.

I may be breaking the rules with Bamba, it's not that he's crap but I get the feeling he doesn't want to be here/thinks he can be somewhere better.

Agree with you about Bamba

silverhibee
15-03-2010, 01:05 PM
What a sad thread this is. But only this could come from people who say they support Hibs,but hate or dislike Hibs players.

Kaiser1962
15-03-2010, 01:08 PM
A couple but mailnly conduct related. Both Hibbies well.

Katie Thompson for the way he conducted himself and sold his soul when £££'s were wafted under his nose by Willie McKay. Very undignified and no class whatsoever.

Ian Murray when he moved to Rangers. The whole world and their dug knew he was going there but he maintained for months that he was unsure where he would end up. I like Nid but and utter embarrassment there.

Bad Martini
15-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Michael Stewart and Kevin Thomson........pair of bawbags.

davemcbain
15-03-2010, 01:59 PM
I hate Deek

Conchita? is that you? when did you leave Mexico? :devil:

on a slightly more serious note.... players I disliked:
Crab Wilkins
Ally Macleod
Stephen Fletcher (complete bottler - natural goalscorer)
Crab Wilkins
Martin Canning
PC Murdoch
Did I mention Ray the two faced judas crab?

and :tin hat:
Keith Keith Keith - just never got the adulation.

Hakim Sar
15-03-2010, 02:24 PM
i hate david grof - a waste of skin and bones

just a pi$5 artist who spoke like mcbain from the simpsons, looked like an albino puppet from sesame street, had that sort of gormeless look you expect to see from a baby that has just filled their nappy and it stings, and thought he was a playboy but kept getting banned from driving while heading to cav every sunday and saying he was signing for man city

felipe m*****s was another twat who deserves nothing from the game and expects it all to be handed to him because he used to be at chelsea

also hated joe keenan in all honesty

but big davey grof is the worst - genuinely the worst player every to play professional football - nevermind warm the bench at hibs

Speedway
15-03-2010, 02:42 PM
Not a player but a manager- Jock Stein. I disliked him as he banned his son from speaking to me and my two friends, We used to get in his car after a match to listen to the results. We didn'y abuse his car once by smoking in it, leaving sweety papers etc.

Then I hated him for selling Ronnie Simpson to Celtic and in the same telephone conversation confirming his own move to Celtic. This conversation was heard by my cousin who was a telephone operator and she told me the facts long before they were announced in the papers.

Is this the first ever recorded Greggs instance?

Owain_1987
15-03-2010, 02:48 PM
i have a particular dislike for riordan. Good player but i just feel he could achieve so much more.

Deeko is a legend not sure many people will agree with you. For me it have to be people like Edge and Townsley.

Mag7
15-03-2010, 02:55 PM
Conchita? is that you? when did you leave Mexico? :devil:

on a slightly more serious note.... players I disliked:
Crab Wilkins
Ally Macleod
Stephen Fletcher (complete bottler - natural goalscorer)
Crab Wilkins
Martin Canning
PC Murdoch
Did I mention Ray the two faced judas crab?

and :tin hat:
Keith Keith Keith - just never got the adulation.

Now that IS baffling. Hard to believe there's a Hibs fan who didn't love Keith Wright. Not the greatest striker there's ever been but one who gave his all to the club he loved. His clinching goal in the Skol Cup final is one of the greatest moments in the club's history.

Broken Gnome
Tam McManus.

Sudds_1
Agree with you about Bamba

which bit? the bit about no likin him? or that he wants to be elsewhere? :confused::wink:

Mag7
15-03-2010, 02:58 PM

An intriguing tale.

I never liked Stein either come to think of it. Old school bully type about whom Eddie Turnbull has a few disparaging comments in his biography (not that Eddie was the most pleasant of men to work under!)

--------
15-03-2010, 03:12 PM
What a sad thread this is. But only this could come from people who say they support Hibs,but hate or dislike Hibs players.

TBF, this has developed into something the OP specifically said he didn't want - a litany of "I hate X - X is crap" posts.

I can truthfully say that I have NEVER taken an immoderate dislike to any player who played for us....

....except a certain lazy, cowardly, chicken-livered lardass blubberguts called Joe Harper.

A case of loath at first sight, I'm afraid.

I wasn't too fond of Woy Bawwy, either, mind.... :rolleyes:

drifter533814
15-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Steven Tweed, he never looked like a football player.
Also I always liked "Tortolano", at least he gave his all.

Peevemor
15-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I went right off Michael O'Neil toward the end of his stay.

WellingtonHibby
15-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I struggle to like Derek Riordan but it's nothing to do with him. It's his fan club who act like 5 year old girls taking a tantrum when someone dares criticise him.

Most player's I've disliked for a lack of effort, being crap or demanding moves away giving it the billy big time so I'd probably break the OP's outline.

That does get on my Bong hits.

darwenhibby
15-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Two Players

David Farrell, Ithought was a waste of space in a Hibs jersey and in what was one of Lexo's best teams.

I thought he was the weak link. Could not tackle a fish supper or pass water.

The other was Kevin Harper, one of the most overated youngsters at ER.

RoscoHibby
15-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Darren Dods - fckin useless :bitchy:

Brizo
15-03-2010, 05:39 PM

I never get that nickname , didnt he stay near to and go to Boroughmuir or Gillespies or one of those other uber snobby "comprehensives" :confused: I suppose " Morningside" wouldnt have the same street cred.

Players I didnt like .... Brian Hamilton uber poser and chocolate teapot , Steve Archibald great player but just didnt like him , Gary Caldwell weasel faced tw@t who has lived down to all my expectations . Out of the current team Benji and Deeks.

soupy
15-03-2010, 05:50 PM
Ive never had a dislike for any player while theyve been at hibs, but ive soon taken a dislike to quite a few, who i think turned in to complete phannies, like Stewart, Caldwell, and Hartley after leaving...

Hibs Class
15-03-2010, 07:06 PM
I never get that nickname , didnt he stay near to and go to Boroughmuir or Gillespies or one of those other uber snobby "comprehensives" :confused: I suppose " Morningside" wouldnt have the same street cred.

Players I didnt like .... Brian Hamilton uber poser and chocolate teapot , Steve Archibald great player but just didnt like him , Gary Caldwell weasel faced tw@t who has lived down to all my expectations . Out of the current team Benji and Deeks.

I didn't like Archibald before he came to Hibs, but watching him regularly made me realise just how good he was. Leighton was similar - had never really rated him but he excellent more often than not with us.

clerriehibs
15-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Joe Harper. He didn't want to be at Hibs, he was a sour faced and overweight git.

Alex Trager
15-03-2010, 08:34 PM
I hate Deek
your just a prick though, wait untill neil finds out about this ..... ****

truehibernian
15-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Ray Wilkins and Eamonn Bannon. Both separated at birth and both looked like this bloke

http://www.doctorsnuggles.co.uk/faq/faq.html (http://www.doctorsnuggles.co.uk/faq/faq.html)

Wembley67
15-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Deeko is a legend not sure many people will agree with you. For me it have to be people like Edge and Townsley.

I'm not asking anyone to agree with me...and he's no a legend - hopefully will be though with the winning goal in the cupfinal :greengrin

Gatecrasher
15-03-2010, 08:47 PM
I'm not asking anyone to agree with me...and he's no a legend - hopefully will be though with the winning goal in the cupfinal :greengrin

ill think you will find he is :agree:

Wembley67
15-03-2010, 08:57 PM
ill think you will find he is :agree:

why? Honest question...not trying to argue!

Gatecrasher
15-03-2010, 09:00 PM
why? Honest question...not trying to argue!

1. L Reilly 252 apps 187 goals
2. E Turnbull 349 apps 149 goals
3. W Ormond 354 apps 132 goals
4. Go Smith 308 apps 126 goals
5. J Baker 140 apps 114 goals
6. B Johnstone 195 apps 100 goals
7. J O' Rourke 216 apps 81 goals
8. P Cormack 201 apps 77 goals
9. D Riordan 175 apps 74 goals
10. A Duncan 449 apps 73 goals
11. A MacLeod 208 apps 71 goals

this was on a thread a few weeks back and oor deeko is in the top 10 hibs goalscorers and is moving up the table as games go by, hibs legend IMHO

heidtheba
15-03-2010, 09:00 PM
Thompson, Grof and Lehmann...never knew why I didn't like Lehmann as he seemed to be a nice enough guy when he came to my local.

Barry Lavety - again, no real reason but just didn't think he had much class.

Logic doesn't fair well in my selection! I also loved Hartley as a wee winger.

One other was Paul Lovering (was that his name? rb in 98/99)

gstarbry1875
15-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Didn't rate Michael Renwick at all when he was with us. Used to call him 'The Weak Link'!

Strange one here but my opinion was quickly changed... I didn't like Russell Latapy at first, only because he took over from Peter Guggi who i liked! :hilarious

NORTHERNHIBBY
15-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Chic Charnley. Cheated every club that gave him the time of day, by making it clear that he would swap it all for one game for Celtic. Now clinging to the game like a half-jaked Old-Firm limpet like the classless oaf that is Andy Goram. I met Charnley when he played for Dundee. Unpleasant article.

weecounty hibby
15-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Cant believe nobody has mentioned the Miller brothers. They were stealing wages from the club at a time when we could ill afford it and their wages might have paid for one decent player. It was telling that as soon as daddy had been binned, long overdue, that they disapeared not just from Hibs but from football.

Ed De Gramo
15-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Hate Michael Stewart....delighted the prick never got a look in at the CIS cup final...

never really warmed to Paul Dalgleish or Zarabi either

SteveHFC
15-03-2010, 09:39 PM
Michael Stewart and Paul Hartley for me.

Wembley67
15-03-2010, 10:07 PM
1. L Reilly 252 apps 187 goals
2. E Turnbull 349 apps 149 goals
3. W Ormond 354 apps 132 goals
4. Go Smith 308 apps 126 goals
5. J Baker 140 apps 114 goals
6. B Johnstone 195 apps 100 goals
7. J O' Rourke 216 apps 81 goals
8. P Cormack 201 apps 77 goals
9. D Riordan 175 apps 74 goals
10. A Duncan 449 apps 73 goals
11. A MacLeod 208 apps 71 goals

this was on a thread a few weeks back and oor deeko is in the top 10 hibs goalscorers and is moving up the table as games go by, hibs legend IMHO

I hear what your saying and its all about opinions I guess but I still dont see him as a legend in the slightest...hopefully things will change though.

Billychaotic182
15-03-2010, 10:32 PM
I hear what your saying and its all about opinions I guess but I still dont see him as a legend in the slightest...hopefully things will change though.

Be honest. Is the reason you can’t warm to him is because he left us for Celtic and when it didn't he came back with his tale between his legs?

This is not my opinion o Deek. I think as a football player he is a hibs legend. I just wish he was not such a tool off the pitch

Wembley67
15-03-2010, 10:40 PM
Be honest. Is the reason you can’t warm to him is because he left us for Celtic and when it didn't he came back with his tale between his legs?

This is not my opinion o Deek. I think as a football player he is a hibs legend. I just wish he was not such a tool off the pitch

Nope to your firstl point. He is a good football player but in my eyes to be a legend for the club the way he conducts himself off the pitch is just as important.

Aye he's had his bad times but I reckon he has learned from his mistakes.

Anyway this aint me having a pop at Deeks :cool2:

TRC
15-03-2010, 10:44 PM

Grew up in the grange, went to school Boroughmuir which is hardly a snobby comprehemsive, just cause they play rugby. maybe changed from my day. As was posted in an other thread the nick name was one of two things either when he was at utd one boy said the only place he could remember was in Edin was Niddry. option 2 was that he shaved the letters in his head NID can't remember what it stood for

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
15-03-2010, 10:44 PM
Jarkko Wiss. :confused::grr::boo hoo:

Billychaotic182
15-03-2010, 10:50 PM
Nope to your firstl point. He is a good football player but in my eyes to be a legend for the club the way he conducts himself off the pitch is just as important.

Yeah i know man i was just wanting to know if thats why you didn't like him.

I do think he has grown up a lot this past year

Mag7
15-03-2010, 10:57 PM

There have been many debates on here about what constitutes a 'legend' and I think we're all agreed the likes of Reilly, Smith and Stanton qualify. The days of long-serving players like that are long gone, however, and in the modern age I'd say Derek Riordan is a certainly a Hibs great due to his outstanding goal contribution.

Mixu62
15-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Dougie Bell anyone?:bitchy:

Dunbar Hibee
16-03-2010, 01:25 AM
Riordan is a Hibs legend no doubt about it.

brydekirk
16-03-2010, 07:28 AM
shuan dennis

ChrissyG1875
16-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Van Zanten, for obvious reasons.

vein
16-03-2010, 12:43 PM
Ive never had a dislike for any player while theyve been at hibs, but ive soon taken a dislike to quite a few, who i think turned in to complete phannies, like Stewart, Caldwell, and Hartley after leaving...

A few mentions for Stewart on this thread. I met the guy a couple of weekends ago at a wedding and found him to be very much the opposite of what I've read on the internet. In no way did he have the billy big time attitude and he was happy to stop and have a blether about football to a total stranger like me :greengrin

Dont mean to pick on your quote Soupy but what has Stewart done that made him turn into a phanny after leaving Hibs. To be fair to the guy as far as I know he has never had a bad word to say about his time at Hibs, that to me deserves a bit of respect when it would be oh so easy to play up to the Hearts fans and rip right into his time with us.

As for Hartley and Caldwell. My brother in law was staying in the same hotel as the Scotland team when abroad for a game. Hartley was one of the only ones who was not up for a chat or a laugh with the fans and had his face tripping him half the time. Caldwell was an erse even before he left Hibs.

gstarbry1875
16-03-2010, 12:51 PM
Emilio Bottiglieri
Tony Rougier
Eduardo Hurtado

all great players!!

Ray_
16-03-2010, 12:57 PM
A few mentions for Stewart on this thread. I met the guy a couple of weekends ago at a wedding and found him to be very much the opposite of what I've read on the internet. In no way did he have the billy big time attitude and he was happy to stop and have a blether about football to a total stranger like me :greengrin

Dont mean to pick on your quote Soupy but what has Stewart done that made him turn into a phanny after leaving Hibs. To be fair to the guy as far as I know he has never had a bad word to say about his time at Hibs, that to me deserves a bit of respect when it would be oh so easy to play up to the Hearts fans and rip right into his time with us.

As for Hartley and Caldwell. My brother in law was staying in the same hotel as the Scotland team when abroad for a game. Hartley was one of the only ones who was not up for a chat or a laugh with the fans and had his face tripping him half the time. Caldwell was an erse even before he left Hibs.

I'm with you, he seemed to get the blame for the players rebellion with the only basis of suspicion that he was a Jambo.

I certainly thought that he gave his all for Hibs while he was here & we could certainly now do with the commitment and desire he had shown previously while playing for us, as far too often we are found wanting in this area, he certainly dominated the last two derby’s.

heretoday
16-03-2010, 01:03 PM
John Blackley. I know it's heresy but I used to have my heart in my mouth at times as he strolled around thinking he was Beckenbauer. He made several bad mistakes which cost Hibs goals, notably against Celtic - our main rivals - but also against the likes of Dumbarton. He was just too casual and he didn't have the speed to recover. Luckily the attack was so good they usually made up for it!

I'm not denying he had talent and he was clearly a nice chap.

Ray_
16-03-2010, 01:22 PM
John Blackley. I know it's heresy but I used to have my heart in my mouth at times as he strolled around thinking he was Beckenbauer. He made several bad mistakes which cost Hibs goals, notably against Celtic - our main rivals - but also against the likes of Dumbarton. He was just too casual and he didn't have the speed to recover. Luckily the attack was so good they usually made up for it!

I think he would be like a god in our defence now.

lapsedhibee
16-03-2010, 05:52 PM

That post is just morally wrong. :wink:

lEXO
16-03-2010, 06:11 PM
Billy F*****g Kirkwood.He was the guy that Souness meant to boot.Pity he did,nt.

truehibernian
16-03-2010, 06:25 PM
Each to their own, but that would be Billy Kirkwood the Hibs fan you refer to.

hibbymark
16-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Rob Jones, hated that run across to the touchline thing he did pre kick off and the regimented clapping the stands at the end of each game. Hardly the crime of the century i agree but just something creapy about the big skinny freak always greeting about wanting to go back home (2 and a half hours) down the a1 ! Some ambition that scunthorpe:grr:

Diclonius
16-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Ray Wilkins and Eamonn Bannon. Both separated at birth and both looked like this bloke

http://www.doctorsnuggles.co.uk/faq/faq.html (http://www.doctorsnuggles.co.uk/faq/faq.html)

Doctor Snuggles is a ****ing legend, don't diss.

truehibernian
16-03-2010, 06:59 PM
Certainly wasn't dissing Dr Snuggles.......just that he looks like Wilkins and Bannon's dad :greengrin

West Upper
16-03-2010, 07:01 PM
:grr:Ross Chisholm :grr:

crewetollhibee
16-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Chris Jackson for me. He was, simply, Ross Chisholm, Brian Hamilton and Brian Kerr rolled into one. Totally ****en useless tw*t.

GreenBlade
16-03-2010, 07:16 PM

I travelled with my young sis to a pre-season Hibs friendly in Dublin many years ago. (Shelbourne) After the game she approached Weir for an autograph and he just blanked her and pushed past. Given we'd endured a ferry crossing along with hundreds of drunken Orange marchers and a brick bouncing off the train carriage as we entered Belfast it wouldn't have killed the little tit to give my then 18 year old sister his scribble. :grr:

wee 162
16-03-2010, 07:22 PM
Matty Jack. Didn't hate him at all, but the credit he got for basically playing with Sauzee behind him and Latapy in front of him defies belief. Brian Hamilton would have looked like a legend playing there.

Spike Mandela
16-03-2010, 07:30 PM

Yeah, that'll be why George Best isn't a Man Utd legend!!:devil:

Pretty Boy
16-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Matty Jack. Didn't hate him at all, but the credit he got for basically playing with Sauzee behind him and Latapy in front of him defies belief. Brian Hamilton would have looked like a legend playing there.

:bitchy:

Matty Jack let Sauzee and Latapy play the way they did because they knew he would be there to do the dirty work if what they tried didn't come off.

Very good player in the most unglamorous, but vitally important, position in football: the holding midfielder. Ask Xavi and Iniesta how good they would be without Yaya Toure or Seydou Keita doing the horrible work behind them.

hibsbollah
16-03-2010, 08:53 PM

Matty Jack let Sauzee and Latapy play the way they did because they knew he would be there to do the dirty work if what they tried didn't come off.

Very good player in the most unglamorous, but vitally important, position in football: the holding midfielder. Ask Xavi and Iniesta how good they would be without Yaya Toure or Seydou Keita doing the horrible work behind them.

This is a total misnomer. Every pundit out there describes the holding midfielder as 'unglamourous' and 'underrated' to such an extent that they have actually become overrated. The creative genius is far more important than the holding midfielder with 'dig', basically because its more difficult to find a good one. Brian Kerr's 'unseen work' anyone?

keep the faith
16-03-2010, 08:58 PM
This is a horrible thread. I feel rotten and implicated even reading it!!!

That said......

David Elliott
Jamie McQuilken
Chic Charnley
Alan O bloody Brien

Pretty Boy
16-03-2010, 08:59 PM
This is a total misnomer. Every pundit out there describes the holding midfielder as 'unglamourous' and 'underrated' to such an extent that they have actually become overrated. The creative genius is far more important than the holding midfielder with 'dig', basically because its more difficult to find a good one. Brian Kerr's 'unseen work' anyone?

Of course the creative genius is more important but the fact is a decent holding midfielder helps the creative players shine.

Brian Kerr is a bad example because he was hopeless at the job and that affected the team no end.

A better example would be Arsenals barren spell since Vieira left, Man Utd struggling when Roy Keane left until the emergence of Darren Fletcher, on a completely different level Hibs never play half as well without Kevin McBride in the team.

keep the faith
16-03-2010, 09:46 PM
This is a horrible thread. I feel rotten and implicated even reading it!!!

That said......

David Elliott
Jamie McQuilken
Chic Charnley
Alan O bloody Brien

How could I forget Tam McManus. He would miss with a shot and be posing about holding his head in his hands etc while the rebound was waiting to be tucked away!!!

wee 162
16-03-2010, 10:05 PM

But my point is that he looked good while playing with those players. The season after Latapy left and Sauzee was injured for a chunk of the season before getting the managers gig, the rest of that side looked very ordinary. John O'Neil went from a fans campaign to have him playing for Scotland, to "I'd drop him". Jack went from being "the perfect minder" to "he can't pass a ball 10 yards and look how slow he is".

I wouldn't deny the importance of the position, I would question how good Jack was at it when he wasn't surrounded by world class football brains.

hibsbollah
16-03-2010, 10:34 PM
Of course the creative genius is more important but the fact is a decent holding midfielder helps the creative players shine.

Brian Kerr is a bad example because he was hopeless at the job and that affected the team no end.

A better example would be Arsenals barren spell since Vieira left, Man Utd struggling when Roy Keane left until the emergence of Darren Fletcher, on a completely different level Hibs never play half as well without Kevin McBride in the team.

I blame Claude Makelele. he started this whole 'holding midfielder' love-in in the first place:grr: :greengrin

Hibercelona
17-03-2010, 09:59 AM
Yogi :devil:

Joe Baker II
17-03-2010, 10:49 AM
Ray Wilkins (applause at Ibrox) tops this list

Joe McLoughlin (for getting Charnley suspended in 1997)

Various other Duffy and Scott signings mentioned above.

Liked Dougie Bell btw, he had some great games.

I know McIntyre deservedly became a hero, but he started off pretty badly.

To be fair to post about Blackley I only remember him from his ER return 1983 approx and he did make some bad mistakes then.

john18722
17-03-2010, 12:04 PM
How on earth are their 4 pages on this thread an no-one hasm mentioned Ollie Gottskalksson??!!

I hated him with a passion. Completely useless and cost us so many games. I remember my one and only trip to Tynecastle when he let two Jose Quitongo shots just bounce over him into the net. I am not one to shout or slag off Hibs players when I am at a gam but I could not help it with him!! I hated him!:grr:

And I completely agree with a previous post regarding the Miller brothers. Me and my mate used to think that Greg Miller was sitting in a cage on the bench being teased by someone, because when he came on he just ran around chasing people all over the pitch and looking like he was going mental! He had no concept of what position he was supposed to be play and no concept of football generally. It really anooyed me that both Greg Miller and Olly the Goally got anywhere near the Hibs team when I reckon I could have done a better job than both of them!!!!!!!:grr:

Franck Stanton
17-03-2010, 12:12 PM

Have to agree with that comment, reall baw-bag of a person never mind as a player, hated Hartley as well, [even his jam is crap], Brian Hamilton was another waste of space. Joe Harper for breaking up the best forward line since the Famous Five.

Franck Stanton
17-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Gonna get slated for this but never had time for Mixu when he played for us.
Get slated ? Ye're right wot a bell-end. How can you say you hated Mixu as a PLAYER? The man was awsome, anyone who scores a hat-trick against THEM is worthy of LEGEND status in my book.

Baader
17-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Justin Skinner for being rude to my mate when he worked in the hospitality at ER.

Incidentally, he still raves about Mixu as a person (during his playing days) - who bought him a bottle of champagne on a shift once...

Oh aye and Zibi for looking like he just didn't give a s*** after our worst semi final can't bare to even look at that clown

Peevemor
17-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Ray Wilkins (applause at Ibrox) tops this list

Joe McLoughlin (for getting Charnley suspended in 1997)

Various other Duffy and Scott signings mentioned above.

Liked Dougie Bell btw, he had some great games.

I know McIntyre deservedly became a hero, but he started off pretty badly.

To be fair to post about Blackley I only remember him from his ER return 1983 approx and he did make some bad mistakes then.

I agree nearly all of that.

Dougie Bell was a good skillful player, his biggest problem was that most of his mazy runs (where nobody could get the ball off him) were back and forward along the halfway line and he'd often end up back where he first received the ball.

Bad Martini
17-03-2010, 12:24 PM
Fat Si Broon was also deplorable on many levels.

Useless lump of turd :agree:

lEXO
17-03-2010, 03:10 PM
Each to their own, but that would be Billy Kirkwood the Hibs fan you refer to.
Aye it would be.Did next to nowt at Hibs.Good on him if he got to play for the team he supported, still think he was crap for us.

bighairyfaeleith
17-03-2010, 03:46 PM
riordan, he's a very naughty boy!!

on a serious note

always have one or two I dislike in any team, most I forget about once they leave though, right now it would be nish (cannae stand up) and rankin (scared of the ball).

From the past it would be players like, well pretty much every goalie since budgie and upto maka. Players like Joe T, sam morrow, Theirry whatever his name was.

lots more that slipped out of memory now, as I said never really hated these guys but just felt they weren't that mythical thing, hibs class!!!:devil:

--------
17-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Sad. So very, very sad. Insanity in one so young....

One of my favourite memories of Sloop is the fact that he banjoed Fat Joe Blubberguts at a club Christmas party - Fat Joe was apparently making inappropriate suggestions to Sloop's fiancee and wouldn't take no for an answer...

seanraff07
17-03-2010, 08:56 PM
Roland Edge.:grr:

NOLA
17-03-2010, 11:25 PM
riordan, he's a very naughty boy!!

on a serious note

always have one or two I dislike in any team, most I forget about once they leave though, right now it would be nish (cannae stand up) and rankin (scared of the ball).

From the past it would be players like, well pretty much every goalie since budgie and upto maka. Players like Joe T, sam morrow, Theirry whatever his name was.

lots more that slipped out of memory now, as I said never really hated these guys but just felt they weren't that mythical thing, hibs class!!!:devil:

Joe T! what could you not like about him? used to go to the A Cut Above hairdressers in Abbeyhill with my panini sticker album and point to Joes hairdo stating "thats what i want" never quite worked out though :boo hoo:sad but true

snooky
17-03-2010, 11:48 PM

Sad. So very, very sad. Insanity in one so young....

One of my favourite memories of Sloop is the fact that he banjoed Fat Joe Blubberguts at a club Christmas party - Fat Joe was apparently making inappropriate suggestions to Sloop's fiancee and wouldn't take no for an answer...

That would have been for the second time then (if my info is correct). He allegedly clocked WFJH after the 6-3 League cup final against the Soapies.
Joe was bitching in the dressing room re how poor the defence had played. Apparently, Sloop responded accordingly. :take that

AgentDaleCooper
18-03-2010, 03:43 AM
jim leighton his inability to kick a ball down the park, without it going out of play annoyed me intensly as a boy.

boo. leighton was quality, even if his legs were made of rubber.

Gala Foxes
18-03-2010, 05:54 AM
Recently - Morais : lightweight poser

Chisholm - was he ever really there ?

Fellinger - Chisholm of the 90's