PDA

View Full Version : Is Yogi a good manager? (MERGED)

HFC 0-7
13-03-2010, 06:24 PM
I was speaking to a St johnstone fan today and he thinks Yogi isnt a very good manager and that the team isnt great. I immediately told him he was an erse but he then said: -

"You are playing the same football now as you did under Mixu, the only reason you got good performances at the start of the season as it was an effect of a new manager coming in, like what happens at every team."

I still told him he was an erse, but it did make me think whether the team is maybe very average and that the effort etc was only because a new manager arrived. Also, is Yogi showing a lot of signs of being out his depth or inexperience by the continual bad performances?

IMO, I think the team isnt that great, I think that Yogi is and will be a good manager but is perhaps a little inexperienced.

judas
13-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Sorry guys. I have misgivings about the guy.

I think he

a) Talks tosh at interviews and frequently contradicts himself.
b) Spent most of the match against St Johnstone joking with the players on his bench (too matey with the players).
c) Is tactically questionable.
d) With the help of Petrie - has the best squad outside the OF and does not look likely guide it to 3rd place.
e) Appears oblivious to the lack of a physical presence in Hibs midfield (why not push Bamba into Midfield and let Hanlon do CHalf?)
f) Had a mid table squad at Falkirk and barely kept them in the league.

Sorry, but I think Hibs have peaked with Yogi.

I admit I have never been a big fan, but I believe Hibs will struggle to claim what should be a regular 3rd place berth under him.

I await slaughter.

HFC 0-7
13-03-2010, 06:31 PM

I think he

b) Spent most of the match against St Johnstone joking with the players on his bench (too matey with the players).
d) With the help of Petrie - has the best squad outside the OF and does not look likely guide it to 3rd place.
e) Had a mid table squad at Falkirk and barely kept them in the league.

I admit I have never been a big fan, but I believe Hibs will struggle to claim what should be a regular 3rd place berth under him.

I await slaughter.

The joking with the players is a problem IMO, all the best managers out there keep a bit of distance from getting to friendly with them. I disagree with the current squad of players being the best outside the OF, I think Dundee Utd have a better squad, we maybe have better a couple of better players than them but thats it.

Falkirk dont have an mid table squad, Eddie May found this out and Steven Pressley probably now knows this.

The joking part and being to friendly is where he will have problems, it will be difficult to stamp authority and give them the kick up the backside. He may even find it difficult to leave players out for a while or moce players on.

DC_Hibs
13-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Your pal is right and you are on day release from the circus.

matty_f
13-03-2010, 06:32 PM
I was speaking to a St johnstone fan today and he thinks Yogi isnt a very good manager and that the team isnt great. I immediately told him he was an erse but he then said: -

"You are playing the same football now as you did under Mixu, the only reason you got good performances at the start of the season as it was an effect of a new manager coming in, like what happens at every team."

I still told him he was an erse, but it did make me think whether the team is maybe very average and that the effort etc was only because a new manager arrived. Also, is Yogi showing a lot of signs of being out his depth or inexperience by the continual bad performances?

IMO, I think the team isnt that great, I think that Yogi is and will be a good manager but is perhaps a little inexperienced.

Two points from me - the bit in bold - I can actually see where your mate is coming from. Mixu had three good strikers at his disposal - Fletcher, Nish and Riordan. IMHO, Mixu's biggest problem was that he didn't realise that the overall balance of the team was scunnered when the three of them played.

At the moment, Yogi is persisting with playing them (though it's Stokes, rather than Fletcher). The problem is, as it was last season, that the midfield cannot operate effectively when it's effecively relying on 2 men - Miller and McBride. Last season it was Bamba that held it together.

I've said elsewhere that in Riordan, we have at the moment a very limited left midfielder who can occassionally batter in spectacular goals. We need him up front, IMHO. Having a limited left side asks too much of the central players, and leaves them totally over-run.

My second point is that I think Yogi is a good manager, who will go on to be an even better manager. What we are seeing is a team being built - Yogi's said it will take time and that's how it's shaping up. He'll move players on in the summer and bring others in. Few could argue that the personel we have at the club at the moment are not an improvement on those here last season.

He has work to do, and the main issue that he has identified is about addressing the culture and the behaviours and attitudes of the players. That cannot be fixed overnight. It's a job that requires time, patience, and lots of hard work.

I have every faith that he'll continue to improve Hibs.

loanheadhibby
13-03-2010, 06:32 PM

any chance yogi now being found out?

Andy74
13-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I think what I'll do is wait until next week until I come back on here!

noseyhibby
13-03-2010, 06:35 PM

I await slaughter.

I respect honest opinions, so there will be no slating from me. I commented in another post that Hughes is perhaps too friendly and not ruthless enough with non-triers and shirkers. He does appear to be at a loss to address the glaring weaknesses you highlighted. It would appear to be tunnel vision. Too often under Mixu we were over-run in midfield and we are again witnessing the same. The bottom line is that there is a definite lack of fight and resolve and Yogi can be as angry as he wants, but appears incapable of changing things and instilling the mentality required.

Moulin Yarns
13-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I was speaking to a St johnstone fan today .

Big mistake :greengrin

spudhib
13-03-2010, 06:37 PM
But on another thread Yogi gives the players too much abuse seemingly:confused:

Golden Bear
13-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Time will tell if Yogi proves to be a great Hibs manager but one thing we all know already is that he's a stubborn git and hopefully one day he WILL learn that we don't have to play with three "strikers".

zlatan
13-03-2010, 06:38 PM

I think he

e) Appears oblivious to the lack of a physical presence in Hibs midfield (why not push Bamba into Midfield and let Hanlon do CHalf?)

I await slaughter.

Not really, he had a poor squad that is now sinking without trace back to Division 1, he done well to keep them up as long as he did and bar last season they were always floating around mid table fairly comfortably.

Things are looking a tad ropey now and whilst I see where you are coming from it's unfair to have this during his first serious blip. We've been overated all seaon imo performance wise but he's managed to get us a lot of results in matches we'd usually get nowt.

If he can drag is in to a Europa League spot at the end of the season, which he should, then the on field strengthening can continue and the last few bits of deadwood can be cleared out in the summer.

Things may be a bit grim just now but periods like this are always going to come during a season.

judas
13-03-2010, 06:40 PM

I think yout St J pal has a point.

Godsahibby
13-03-2010, 06:48 PM

I think he

I await slaughter.

I don't agree with all your points but the one in particular I do agree is with regards to his tactics. We were lucky early in the season and got some breaks without being particulary impressive, Now teams know how to play us, and Hughes doesnt appear to know how to change things.

Im worried he still wont learn from this and we'll be taken apart by Hearts wide players on Saturday and knocked out next week in the replay.

Toaods
13-03-2010, 06:53 PM
His inability to act on a glaring problem is my dislike. Midfield didnt have a ball winner amongst them + Hogg was dreadful at the back. OK so Thicot is obviously on the way out but he could have added a bit of steel. He needs to address the right back area before Wotherspoon's talent is destroyed. Bamba, Murray or Thicot must go into midfield. I fear for us next week.

noseyhibby
13-03-2010, 06:54 PM
is Yogi showing a lot of signs of being out his depth or inexperience by the continual bad performances?

Some fair points here. I think Yogi has enough experience and is certainly not out of his depth. He served his apprenticeship with Falkirk end of. He is of course still learning and liable to make tactical mistakes (ie St.Johnstone) and he is finding out very quickly his own limitations. He is aware that the collective resolve and mentality he seeks is not there. Doing something about it is one of his greatest challenges. His biggest battle is drafting in players to replace the shirkers and non-commited, as well as try to instill passion and fight into his present charges.

EasterRoad4Ever
13-03-2010, 06:58 PM
He's too one dimensional to be a top manager - lacks subtlety, variation and insight. Drives the team by shouting, moaning and rebel-rousing. Problem with that is - if that fails - where do you go after that ???

Hibs On Tour
13-03-2010, 07:01 PM
Not really, he had a poor squad that is now sinking without trace back to Division 1, he done well to keep them up as long as he did and bar last season they were always floating around mid table fairly comfortably.

Things are looking a tad ropey now and whilst I see where you are coming from it's unfair to have this during his first serious blip. We've been overated all seaon imo performance wise but he's managed to get us a lot of results in matches we'd usually get nowt.

If he can drag is in to a Europa League spot at the end of the season, which he should, then the on field strengthening can continue and the last few bits of deadwood can be cleared out in the summer.

Things may be a bit grim just now but periods like this are always going to come during a season.

On your bus with all of that. :top marks

Also think that Motherwell will likely hit a less purple patch this season at some point and drop more points than us - likewise Dundee Utd. For that reason, we're still in our crap phase which we will hopefully improve on, I think we're still favourites for 3rd.

Yogi has got us further ahead than we thought we'd be by this point so instead of thinking that's our 'real' position/level and getting ahead of ourselves, we should be seeing it as a better starting point to 'dig in' from for phase 2 of the rebuilding after Mixu...

PaulSmith
13-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Only on here and only Hibs fans could you read such drivel, not even 8 months into his tenure and dispite still being very much in the hunt for 3rd place and in the draw for the semi final of the cup could we get fools trying to say that we have peaked, what exactly is it that people expect of this club?
Maybe a wee dose of humility and reality of where we have come from before coming on here.
I honestly believe some on here are just never happy until they are moani
f and giving their wisdom on how to turn us into Arsenal or Man Utd

judas
13-03-2010, 07:16 PM
He's too one dimensional to be a top manager - lacks subtlety, variation and insight. Drives the team by shouting, moaning and rebel-rousing. Problem with that is - if that fails - where do you go after that ???

I agree. That's what I meant to say.

crash
13-03-2010, 07:19 PM

I think he

I await slaughter.

Spot on. You just have to look at the spine of the team today, for "our most important game of the season" which includes Hogg, Rankin and Nish to tell you that Yogi can talk the talk but can't walk the walk.

Part/Time Supporter
13-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Maybe we're about to find out. I think he dodged a bullet today.

loanheadhibby
13-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Only on here and only Hibs fans could you read such drivel, not even 8 months into his tenure and dispite still being very much in the hunt for 3rd place and in the draw for the semi final of the cup could we get fools trying to say that we have peaked, what exactly is it that people expect of this club?
Maybe a wee dose of humility and reality of where we have come from before coming on here.
I honestly believe some on here are just never happy until they are moani
f and giving their wisdom on how to turn us into Arsenal or Man Utd

I defy anyone who watched that today to defend the manager/team. Fair enough we are not man u but that was not acceptable. Surely the minimum we deserve is pure graft.

zlatan
13-03-2010, 07:31 PM
I defy anyone who watched that today to defend the manager/team. Fair enough we are not man u but that was not acceptable. Surely the minimum we deserve is pure graft.

Fair do's. I've not been to a game since the 2-2 draw with Aberdeen but am back in Scotland for a few weeks tomorrow so will be at a few games then where I can judge properly, it has sounded pretty honking since the 2nd half of the hun game.

Alfred E Newman
13-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Yogis antics at full time today may have been for the supporters benefit but it was very unprofessional. Any slanging match should be held behind closed doors.

SalfordHibs
13-03-2010, 08:18 PM
One thing is for certain this will be a huge test for Yogi.

SalfordHibs
13-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Yogis antics at full time today may have been for the supporters benefit but it was very unprofessional. Any slanging match should be held behind closed doors.

Totally agree with this i mean what does this do for our players, just wish our team showed the same kind of fighting spirit to win these games.

Diclonius
13-03-2010, 08:34 PM
Yogi needs two seasons to prove himself. Mixu got his, was found out, and he was emptied. We're not Queen's Park Rangers.

SalfordHibs
13-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Yogi needs two seasons to prove himself. Mixu got his, was found out, and he was emptied. We're not Queen's Park Rangers.

Yogi has had more funds than Mixu, there is no doubt we have some real talent and good prospects but Yogi doesn't know how to get the best out of them. Dont get me wrong we were completely dire under Mixu, what is worrying is we seem to going back to it.

IWasThere2016
13-03-2010, 08:50 PM

I concur with the Saintee.

The games I have seen this season have been tactical car crashes.

The formation isn't working - and Yogi doesn't seem to see it!

jabis
13-03-2010, 09:05 PM
so many playstation managers,so many :hyper::idea:

King Paddy
13-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Posted previously on the net a Falkirk fan said Yogi is ok if his team doing fine but ask him to change his formation etc and he is lost. Is this not what is happening to Hibs at present?.

half.time.draw.
13-03-2010, 09:24 PM
John hughes- 1 plan - play fotball, every team who has beat us has countered that, the man has no plan B which is why every team knows how to play against us.
We should just win ugly and **** everything else, I for one would take 3rd playing **** football.

Oh i, i AM NOT A YAM, SO **** ALL YOU ***** WHO DONT WANT ANYONE TO HAVE AN OPINION!!!!!

Sammy7nil
13-03-2010, 09:26 PM
Falkirk fan told me 6 months in I would discover Yogi was a one plan man

I laughed :confused: not sure now, hopefully he will sort it next season

jabis
13-03-2010, 09:30 PM
John hughes- 1 plan - play fotball, every team who has beat us has countered that, the man has no plan B which is why every team knows how to play against us.
We should just win ugly and **** everything else, I for one would take 3rd playing **** football.

Oh i, i AM NOT A YAM, SO **** ALL YOU ***** WHO DONT WANT ANYONE TO HAVE AN OPINION!!!!!

LTHun

:greengrin(or not)(you decide)

down the slope
13-03-2010, 09:30 PM
For predicting the result and the crowd today, i did not go this afternoon as i along with some other ST holders stayed away after last weeks gash. it is obvious now that Hughes is Mixu mark 2 and has not got a tactical scooby.
It hurts me to say this but i will not be renewing next season on the back of this seasons performances, this is the only way to get the point over to Rod that again he has made the wrong appointment. The rest of my prediction was that we will lose the replay and i stick to that, what with the tactical blunders and a team full of chocolate soldiers we are out of the cup without a doubt.

vahibbie
13-03-2010, 09:34 PM
For predicting the result and the crowd today, i did not go this afternoon as i along with some other ST holders stayed away after last weeks gash. it is obvious now that Hughes is Mixu mark 2 and has not got a tactical scooby.
It hurts me to say this but i will not be renewing next season on the back of this seasons performances, this is the only way to get the point over to Rod that again he has made the wrong appointment. The rest of my prediction was that we will lose the replay and i stick to that, what with the tactical blunders and a team full of chocolate soldiers we are out of the cup without a doubt.

I'm at a loss as to what you expect Rod to do. If you have a tactical genius in mind and he would be willing to leave his current post to manage Hibs mibbes you should reveal said person. Mind and let Rod know as well.
I'm assuming if we reach the final you won't be needing a ticket:devil:

Westie1875
13-03-2010, 09:34 PM

If thats your opinion then it probably is best you stay away, Hibs need fans to support the team when things aren't going well.

Yogi has done very well for his first season in charge (better than most expected), yes we're going through a bad run at the moment but this is when the team needs the support the most.

MussyHibby
13-03-2010, 09:36 PM
If thats your opinion then it probably is best you stay away, Hibs need fans to support the team when things aren't going well.

Yogi has done very well for his first season in charge (better than most expected), yes we're going through a bad run at the moment but this is when the team needs the support the most.

:top marks

OP is just ridiculous. Stay away, you won't be missed. :bitchy:

greenlex
13-03-2010, 09:37 PM

Maybe the tactics were right but the players were wrong. :greengrin

Makaveli
13-03-2010, 09:43 PM
I think it's obvious, we need more keepers and forwards. :rolleyes:

HibeeDaz6270
13-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Yogi is a legend, best manager in scotland. We are the best footballing side in scotland, hopes of splitting the old firm, playing in europe, winning the scottish cup, players too good for us..miller and bamba etc, bamba worth over 3million... best finisher in scotland riordan etc etc etc.

This was not so long ago!

but now..

we are rank rotten, yogi hasnt got a clue, bamba is crap, miller is crap, riordans useless, Petrie's appointment proven wrong again etc etc

Its actually laughable to be honest. The last 5 or 6 games have been poor, we all can see that, but i think everyone jumps the gun a little. We had a fantastic start, beyond all expectations. We need to be realistic.

We are building for the future, give Yogi a chance. If anyone thinks there will be no bad times during this then think again. Yogi has improved the squad, and a believe next year he will do so even more. Yes we are not doing great just now, but everyone is going over the top!

Its time we get behind the team, we play hearts next week, a win against them and everything is rosey again! Get behind the team!!

HFC 0-7
13-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Some fair points here. I think Yogi has enough experience and is certainly not out of his depth. He served his apprenticeship with Falkirk end of. He is of course still learning and liable to make tactical mistakes (ie St.Johnstone) and he is finding out very quickly his own limitations. He is aware that the collective resolve and mentality he seeks is not there. Doing something about it is one of his greatest challenges. His biggest battle is drafting in players to replace the shirkers and non-commited, as well as try to instill passion and fight into his present charges.

I think where Yogi is maybe inexperienced is where we are in the table. He is ecperienced in trying to grind out a draw and just trying to survive. He is now expected to win almost every game and that will be a different type of pressure to deal with. He wont be used to teams looking at his team as a scalp and setting up to stop us play. I think teams werent doing this at the start of the season, but slowly teams starting seeing that stopping us play causes us big problems as we cant seem to adapt.

Frogga
13-03-2010, 09:48 PM
OP is a prime example of the OTT negativity surrounding Easter Road. We need to stay behind Yogi and shouldn't be turning our back on the team the minute that we go through a bad patch.

Today's result was bad but we will improve.

down the slope
13-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Check out my posts, i will be right come a week on tuesday and it gives me no great pleasure to say that we will be out of the cup.

jabis
13-03-2010, 09:52 PM

Laugh.....I nearly did.

Westie1875
13-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Check out my posts, i will be right come a week on tuesday and it gives me no great pleasure to say that we will be out of the cup.

So why the need for the 'I told you so' routine about today? :confused:

HFC 0-7
13-03-2010, 10:00 PM
OP is a prime example of the OTT negativity surrounding Easter Road. We need to stay behind Yogi and shouldn't be turning our back on the team the minute that we go through a bad patch.

Today's result was bad but we will improve.

If you read my post I am not negative, it was a StJohnstone fan saying this. I am actually defending him and being realistc. I said that I think Yogi IS a good manager its just that he may be a bit inexperienced. I think I am being realistic in saying that the squad isnt that great, if it was and we were playing like we did today then the manager has a big problem. So not negativity at all!

Criswell
13-03-2010, 10:02 PM
This present squad of players is in no way the best one I have seen, however, there is some quality and we should be seeing a better level of performance than is currently being served up.

I think most would question whether Hughes has the balance of the team right or the composition.

Unfortunately. weaknesses in the squad were not addressed, leaving us with limited options which has meant far too many players getting a regular start despite sub-standard performances week-in-week out.

What is concerning is that this slump in form has continued for so long now; we probably hit rock-bottom today (I hope!) The manager simply has to get more out of this team than he currently is. For his sake, and the club's I hope he is up to it.

down the slope
13-03-2010, 10:16 PM
It seems that a few on here think it best that i and any like minded thinkers stay away from ER because we see that the present servings on the field are gash, so be it and after fifty odd years of going to ER i will stay away. Sad but so be it that you are unable to stand any criticism of what is going on at ER at the moment.

Hainan Hibs
13-03-2010, 10:20 PM
It seems a good idea in principle to play 3 or 4 strikers but if you do not have a midfield and therefore lose the midfield battle then having 3 or 4 strikers is as useful as pissing against wind.

I think Yogi has to realise or accept that we have to sacrifice a striker and get a balance in the midfield.

I just hope he doesn't have as strong a stubbornness as Mixu.

An Leargaidh
13-03-2010, 10:29 PM
I just want to know how the ****** I am going to get to Dungwall and back on a Tuesday evening, assuming there's any tickets left for non-ST plebs like me :greengrin

bongo'd
13-03-2010, 10:33 PM
It seems that a few on here think it best that i and any like minded thinkers stay away from ER because we see that the present servings on the field are gash, so be it and after fifty odd years of going to ER i will stay away. Sad but so be it that you are unable to stand any criticism of what is going on at ER at the moment.

And what is going on at ER at the moment DTS? We are in a rut and not playing well at all. It isn't the first time and certainly won't be the last.

Westie1875
13-03-2010, 10:34 PM

Nonsense, its the drama queen act with the threats of 'I'm not going back' that annoy people.

Of course the team/manager can be criticised, anyone can see things are not going well just now, but the attitude of spitting out the dummy and stating that you're not going back is pathetic.

Fair enough if we were in the bottom 6, out both cups and had a team full of crap players - but we're not!

Hibby 2005
13-03-2010, 10:43 PM
Yogi was doing well up until the Rangers game when we got cuffed 3-0 then it all went pear-shaped in no small part due to Yogi's bizarre team changes.

It's been damage limitation since then.

PaulSmith
13-03-2010, 11:00 PM

So you stayed away after we won last week?

FFS maybe Capello will be available after the WC and STF will give him £10m war chest, get real... a blind man could see that were making progress after the last 3 seasons, maybe it's not as quick as you'd like but please don't give the 'i'm not going back ******' with 10 league games to go where we're still well in the mix for 3rd place plus are still have to play a team from the division below to get into the last 4 of the Cup.
Tell me other seasons where we've been in such a decent position cause bar mowbrays one season and one with mcleish I can't think of many more in the last 20 years

down the slope
13-03-2010, 11:13 PM
So you stayed away after we won last week?

FFS maybe Capello will be available after the WC and STF will give him £10m war chest, get real... a blind man could see that were making progress after the last 3 seasons, maybe it's not as quick as you'd like but please don't give the 'i'm not going back ******' with 10 league games to go where we're still well in the mix for 3rd place plus are still have to play a team from the division below to get into the last 4 of the Cup.
Tell me other seasons where we've been in such a decent position cause bar mowbrays one season and one with mcleish I can't think of many more in the last 20 years
Yup, i and some others could not stand the gash that was served up last week, obvious you have never seen a good Hibs team, no progress, we are fifth and will be lucky to hang on to that, clueless tactics from our manager today. I will be proved right in my forecast .

Sir David Gray
13-03-2010, 11:16 PM
Yogi was doing well up until the Rangers game when we got cuffed 3-0 then it all went pear-shaped in no small part due to Yogi's bizarre team changes.

It's been damage limitation since then.

I don't think it's just coincidence that we've hardly had the services of Zemmama since that match.

paxtonhibby
13-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Yup, i and some others could not stand the gash that was served up last week, obvious you have never seen a good Hibs team, no progress, we are fifth and will be lucky to hang on to that, clueless tactics from our manager today. I will be proved right in my forecast .

Christ,I never knew Mystic Meg was a Hibby!Could you mibbe mention your "forecast" another time please.

AgentDaleCooper
14-03-2010, 12:01 AM
IMO yogi is trying too hard to be a "good manager", rather than just getting on with the job. he's thinking to much. back to basics is what we need, no fancy mind games or Gandhi-esque interviews with the beeb.

i think he'll come good, he REALLY wants to do well in this job, more than any manager we've had as long as i can remember, for reasons other than his own career.

The_Horde
14-03-2010, 04:58 AM
What i don't get, right now, is how we have went from the team that NEVER conceded.. to conceding 5 against St Johnstone and generally at least a goal a game since. :confused:

Aldo
14-03-2010, 06:59 AM
Two points from me - the bit in bold - I can actually see where your mate is coming from. Mixu had three good strikers at his disposal - Fletcher, Nish and Riordan. IMHO, Mixu's biggest problem was that he didn't realise that the overall balance of the team was scunnered when the three of them played.

At the moment, Yogi is persisting with playing them (though it's Stokes, rather than Fletcher). The problem is, as it was last season, that the midfield cannot operate effectively when it's effecively relying on 2 men - Miller and McBride. Last season it was Bamba that held it together.

I've said elsewhere that in Riordan, we have at the moment a very limited left midfielder who can occassionally batter in spectacular goals. We need him up front, IMHO. Having a limited left side asks too much of the central players, and leaves them totally over-run.

My second point is that I think Yogi is a good manager, who will go on to be an even better manager. What we are seeing is a team being built - Yogi's said it will take time and that's how it's shaping up. He'll move players on in the summer and bring others in. Few could argue that the personel we have at the club at the moment are not an improvement on those here last season.

He has work to do, and the main issue that he has identified is about addressing the culture and the behaviours and attitudes of the players. That cannot be fixed overnight. It's a job that requires time, patience, and lots of hard work.

I have every faith that he'll continue to improve Hibs.

Matty, bit in bold, spot on mate. I have said this many a time. Stokes is being suffocated of service so for me one of them needs to be dropped (Nish/stokes/riorden)

I would play a team something like this.

Stack
Hogg/Bamba/Hanlon
Wotherspoon/Murray/Miller/Zuma/Galbraith
Stokes/Riorden

You could change them about a bit cos dont know what Galbraith would be like at wingback.

But for me that team has balance with a bit of added Steel in the middle with Murray.

The team Mcleish put out had balance and flair. For me with 2 attacking fullbacks puts a team on the back foot. So we are not doing too good at the moment but heay win the 2 games in hand back to 4th. Would say we are pretty much assured of top 6....still in the SC so for his first season not too bad.

Again we need a BALANCED team.

Yogi is still quite young when it comes to being a manager but he has to realise its not about being GUNGHO....will come good IMHO and hopefully it will be at ER.

Only way is up.

:greengrin

Brizo
14-03-2010, 07:52 AM
Matty, bit in bold, spot on mate. I have said this many a time. Stokes is being suffocated of service so for me one of them needs to be dropped (Nish/stokes/riorden)

I would play a team something like this.

Stack
Hogg/Bamba/Hanlon
Wotherspoon/Murray/Miller/Zuma/Galbraith
Stokes/Riorden

You could change them about a bit cos dont know what Galbraith would be like at wingback.

But for me that team has balance with a bit of added Steel in the middle with Murray.

The team Mcleish put out had balance and flair. For me with 2 attacking fullbacks puts a team on the back foot. So we are not doing too good at the moment but heay win the 2 games in hand back to 4th. Would say we are pretty much assured of top 6....still in the SC so for his first season not too bad.

Again we need a BALANCED team.

Yogi is still quite young when it comes to being a manager but he has to realise its not about being GUNGHO....will come good IMHO and hopefully it will be at ER.

Only way is up.

:greengrin

:agree: The balance and shape of the team which served us so well for the first 1/2 of the season recently seems to be getting changed , particularly after substitutions , to what to my maybury league schooled :wink: mince pies seems to be some kind of 424 formation. A formation which iirc went out of favour in the 70s or 80s.

Im confident Yogi will ditch this experiment and get us back on track.

Expecting Rain
14-03-2010, 11:38 AM
Yogi has a vision of the way football is played, unfortunately time will be his biggest enemy, he`s had a decent season up until recently, he is also at the mercy of player power these days and the nice guys that turn up for training early and do extra work at the end aren`t always the players that are going to progress your career, systems, formations tactics, subtitutions and communication are a reflection of his philosophy and ideological views
There are managers in the SPL that are working with inferior squads and playing on poor surfaces, he has to get the best out of what he has got otherwise he`ll be heading in the same direction as Mixu and Collins, this has been a poor spell with problems growing by the minute, this is also his biggest test of his managerial skills, is he learning form his mistakes? I think he can still do a good job for Hibs but i don`t see a quick fix, i have severe doubts regarding our ability to win the replay, he might have to wait until next season before he starts to realise some of his ambitions and dreams.

WindyMiller
14-03-2010, 11:56 AM
Yogi has a vision of the way football is played, unfortunately time will be his biggest enemy, he`s had a decent season up until recently, he is also at the mercy of player power these days and the nice guys that turn up for training early and do extra work at the end aren`t always the players that are going to progress your career, systems, formations tactics, subtitutions and communication are a reflection of his philosophy and ideological views
There are managers in the SPL that are working with inferior squads and playing on poor surfaces, he has to get the best out of what he has got otherwise he`ll be heading in the same direction as Mixu and Collins, this has been a poor spell with problems growing by the minute, this is also his biggest test of his managerial skills, is he learning form his mistakes? I think he can still do a good job for Hibs but i don`t see a quick fix, i have severe doubts regarding our ability to win the replay, he might have to wait until next season before he starts to realise some of his ambitions and dreams.

Good Post.

We had a good start and many were expecting/predicting a fight with the OF till the end of the season.

That would have been lovely but highly unrealistic.

We have a manager trying to improve the club's position, the same number of points as we finished the season with last year and still 10 games to play, and we're still in the cup.

Golden Bear
14-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Yet Yogi still insists that "we had the better chances" - I haven't a clue where he gets that one from.?!

:confused:

Toaods
14-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Yet Yogi still insists that "we had the better chances" - I haven't a clue where he gets that one from.?!

Mixu.

andudare2
14-03-2010, 12:11 PM
i got slated after the league cup defeat from st.johnstone for saying i did not think yogi was the right choice, now seems that a lot more folk are beggining to think the same. hope to **** i & them are wrong but still think along the same lines. luck has run out & he cant change games, formation,s etc. fingers x im proved to be wrong though.:confused:

fife hfc
14-03-2010, 12:17 PM
The balance, formation and personnel is all wrong and that is Yogi's fault. He needs to forget this **** with 3 strikers. When you are going through a bad patch you make yourself hard to beat and breakdown, Yogi is not doing this and we are being over run in midfield as teams know we play with 3 forwards and not very hard working ones at that.

Also all season he has played nobody on the right side of midfield in front of Wotherspoon that has led to him being totally exposed (like yesterday). Yogi needs to get back to basics and have a solid formation where the midfield is not out numbered and over run. This is why miller and mcbride looks like they are struggling as most teams know we leave the midfield short on numbers.

We have the personnel to play a balanced midfield but Yogi seems content to give the midfiled up. Wotherspoon on the right with miller and Mcbride in the middle and Zouma or galbraith on the left gives us a good balance. I'm just surprised yogi doesn't change the formation and I hope he is not too pig headed to admit his present formation does not work.

GreenBlade
14-03-2010, 12:19 PM

Very thoughtful and concise post Churchy. Your wasted in here pal. :thumbsup:

I've just been carpeted by HR and my Line Manager for calling my foreman an idiot. My biggest mistake was doing so publicly. In my opinion I was well justified :rolleyes: in what I said but now I've learned to keep my mouth shut till theres only the two of us! Yogi should do the same in my humble opinion.
My foremans biggest problem is trying to be your boss AND your mate. Trust me Yogi, it disnae work!

As for the team? Easy, play big Nish at centre half. He'll soon learn to head the ball away from goal as he's half-way there already. Put Bambi in midfield as he can at least tackle and move Deeks up front with Stokes.
So simple I can't understand why Hughesie hasn't tried it already.

One happy Hibee from yesterday is my wee bro who lives a few miles from Dingwall. See, not all doom and gloom is it? :wink:

IWasThere2016
14-03-2010, 12:24 PM

He also said we should've closed the game out BUT the twonk made two subs which did NOTHING to help that happening. He's coming over as a slavering erse more often not IMHO! :grr:

fife hfc
14-03-2010, 12:46 PM
He also said we should've closed the game out BUT the twonk made two subs which did NOTHING to help that happening. He's coming over as a slavering erse more often not IMHO! :grr:

I could not understand these substitutions as they are not players that are going to help you be more solid. I did feel Galbraith played okay when he came on but we needed somebody like thicot to sit in front of the back four and provide them with cover and help out miller and mcbride, anybody could see we were being out fought in the middle well everyone except yogi it seems. Infact he actually took a body out of this area when withdrawing rankin and replacing with galbraith. A defensive minded midfielder was in order not anther attack minded player.

yogi needs to get out the mindset of that the only way you can win games is to throw on forwards. Formation and balace is more important as if you can't get the ball to the forwards then they can't score.

Expecting Rain
14-03-2010, 12:55 PM
A clear indication that Yogi`s formation wasn`t working yesterday was highlighted in two particular ways, at one point Wotherspoon recieved the ball just over the halfway line and was immediately surrounded and subsequently dispossed of the ball by 4 Ross County players, how did they manage to expend the time and effort to do this while finishing the stronger of the two sides raises a few questions. The second and most alarming point was that Ross County looked like they had at least three extra players on the pitch no matter where the ball landed, they also where first to every loose ball, this indicates either a lack of organisation on our part or an unwillingness to work hard off the ball, or as i intimated earlier a lack of awareness and intelligence in crucial parts of the pitch, good luck Yogi you have your wirk cut out.

BS44
14-03-2010, 02:05 PM

Nostradowntheslopeus, what's your prediction for Tynie?

If we do make it all the way to the SC Final I confidently predict you will be there with the rest of us irrespective of how gash we have been along the way.

Disco Dave
14-03-2010, 05:43 PM
Yogi is a legend, best manager in scotland. We are the best footballing side in scotland, hopes of splitting the old firm, playing in europe, winning the scottish cup, players too good for us..miller and bamba etc, bamba worth over 3million... best finisher in scotland riordan etc etc etc.

but now..

we are rank rotten, yogi hasnt got a clue, bamba is crap, miller is crap, riordans useless, Petrie's appointment proven wrong again etc etc

Its actually laughable to be honest. The last 5 or 6 games have been poor, we all can see that, but i think everyone jumps the gun a little. We had a fantastic start, beyond all expectations. We need to be realistic.

We are building for the future, give Yogi a chance. If anyone thinks there will be no bad times during this then think again. Yogi has improved the squad, and a believe next year he will do so even more. Yes we are not doing great just now, but everyone is going over the top!

Its time we get behind the team, we play hearts next week, a win against them and everything is rosey again! Get behind the team!!

:agree:

sahib
14-03-2010, 07:08 PM
When I first glanced at this thread I thought the title was

Is Yogi a good manager? (MERDE)

archiebald
14-03-2010, 07:40 PM
The clock is ticking :agree:

matty_f
14-03-2010, 07:42 PM
The clock is ticking :agree:

For who/what?

Craig_in_Prague
14-03-2010, 07:46 PM
For who/what?

Clocks are always ticking.
Every damn second.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 07:47 PM
Clocks are always ticking.
Every damn second.

Except the talking clock, that's more of a voice and a beep, but I get your point.

judas
14-03-2010, 08:15 PM

but now..

Who are you referring to? All Hibs fans who are questioning Yogi?

You find it laughabale, but this is rooted in your misguided perception that all Hibs fans questioning Yogi were idolising the team 6 weeks ago. This is not the case.

I am not a big fan. I think our talent and the strong position of our club will be (after a decent start) ultimately wasted in his hands.

Great Stadium
Great Training Facilities (Outstanding In Fact)
Great Chairman
Strong Balance Sheet
Mediocre Manager I Fear

TornadoHibby
14-03-2010, 08:30 PM
A clear indication that Yogi`s formation wasn`t working yesterday was highlighted in two particular ways, at one point Wotherspoon recieved the ball just over the halfway line and was immediately surrounded and subsequently dispossed of the ball by 4 Ross County players, how did they manage to expend the time and effort to do this while finishing the stronger of the two sides raises a few questions. The second and most alarming point was that Ross County looked like they had at least three extra players on the pitch no matter where the ball landed, they also where first to every loose ball, this indicates either a lack of organisation on our part or an unwillingness to work hard off the ball, or as i intimated earlier a lack of awareness and intelligence in crucial parts of the pitch, good luck Yogi you have your wirk cut out.

:top marks

Spot on mate (sadly)! :agree:

MREVIL
14-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Jambo here, I agree with what most is said on here however, I believe john hughes could do with a better centre half and a new left midfeilder as I believe riorden is not a left mid.

Next season will be extremly important for use, as it will be for Hearts and JJ.

sadtom
14-03-2010, 08:32 PM
I cant believe half the keyboard managers on this site.

I love Yogi's interviews.
I love his passion for the club.
I love his vision for the team.
I love the fact that if and when he is a success at Hibs he wont bolt at the first opportunity.
I love the fact that he WANTS the team to play in an exiting attcking manner.

I hate the fact that 2/3 of the way into the season there are a bunch of total knobjockeys on here that are dying for him to fail in order to support their belief that he wasn't ever up to the job.

We are way ahead of schedule IMHO.
We are lightweight in midfield and its no surprise that our poorest form has come at a time when we aren't able to pass round other teams. Much of it due to the state of the parks.
We are going to get a lot wrong before its right - but gie the man a forking chance FFS!

So do we persist in trying to play the right way (often failing, but at least trying) or do we lower our standards and play dark ages fitba, nulify teams and have a lot of 'big lads' in the team.

Who do i trust? Yogi or a buch of phantoms on hear who i wouldn't trust to organise my underpants drawer never mind a fitba team.

'MON THE YOGI!

Craig_in_Prague
14-03-2010, 08:37 PM

I love the fact that if and when he is a success at Hibs he wont bolt at the first opportunity.

I hate the fact that 2/3 of the way into the season there are a bunch of total knobjockeys on here that are dying for him to fail in order to support their belief that he wasn't ever up to the job.

We are lightweight in midfield and its no surprise that our poorest form has come at a time when we aren't able to pass round other teams. Much of it due to the state of the parks.
We are going to get a lot wrong before its right - but gie the man a forking chance FFS!

So do we persist in trying to play the right way (often failing, but at least trying) or do we lower our standards and play dark ages fitba, nulify teams and have a lot of 'big lads' in the team.

Who do i trust? Yogi or a buch of phantoms on hear who i wouldn't trust to organise my underpants drawer never mind a fitba team.

'MON THE YOGI!

I'm a fan of Yogi.

But I don't see why we need to either blatantly love him or slate him.

For me, I'd prefer to see the exciting attacking options we have, play football on the deck, and generally try play nice on the eye football.

But then I would expect a manager managing in Scotland, to realize the pitches for around 3 months of the season, will be dire, so we might need to adapt our style a bit, 3 or 4 forwards on the park can't work all season.

I'm going to end up bitterly dissapointed for Yogi himself more than me, or any other fans, that we're on the verge of ending the season so damn dissapointingly, that it will hurt.

Still will be very much behind Yogi, whom at least has most of our appetite for Hibs back; coz to be Frank, Mixu had me depressed.

'mon the yogi and team.... Lets hope the fans can stay on side and cheer you on, push on to a successful end to a very promising season.

TornadoHibby
14-03-2010, 08:38 PM

'MON THE YOGI!

I assume then that you advocate that we just keep playing the same game plan when the pitches are as they are right now as we do when they are firm, grassy and level? :confused:

Problem is it ain't working and we don't seem to be doing anything positive to change that! :grr:

matty_f
14-03-2010, 08:41 PM

'MON THE YOGI!

Almost gave this a :top marks, only bit I'd take you up on would be the bit about lowering our standards to play dark ages football - I think we can play attacking, fluid, 'flair' football without the need to give up the midfield in the way that we have been recently.

Other than that, love the post, especially the bit about hating how many folk are desperate for Yogi to fail.

Rory89
14-03-2010, 08:47 PM
When I got my new seat in the South Upper for the Killie game it occured to me that I hadn't actually watched Hibs at home from a good angle where I could properly judge the teams performance since I moved to the East from the FF upper under Mowbray. I was shocked tbh, the failings of the team aren't as noticeable in the east stand. Watching Mixu's side from that angle must've been unbearable.

Anyway, Yogi seems like a good man manager in every sense apart from his tactics, unfortunately. People need to chill out though, after every bad result everyone's talking like the world is going to end, one guy even quoting Jonny Cash's cover of "Hurt" because we drew with Ross County :faf:. If we lose the replay then start posting up the depressing lyrics and get the razor out.

Long suffering
14-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Tbh people who are saying that we should 'get behind the team' and 'stop slating yogi' should have a look at what people are saying. The vast majority of posts have been well thought out, with good points made. All we are doing is posting reasoned worries of recent performances, no one has gone over the top. Anyway, the way I see it is that slight worries over yogis abilities are certaintly appearing. He does appear one-dimensional at the moment without a real idea of how to change it if Plan A doesnt work. Looking at it at the moment i feel that the derby is a real litmus test for him to show us just how good he is. Problems so far such as a minute, weak midfield, 3 strikers , leaky vulnerable defence are problems needing adressed urgently and yogi has to change it for the derby.

TornadoHibby
14-03-2010, 09:19 PM
Almost gave this a :top marks, only bit I'd take you up on would be the bit about lowering our standards to play dark ages football - I think we can play attacking, fluid, 'flair' football without the need to give up the midfield in the way that we have been recently.

Other than that, love the post, especially the bit about hating how many folk are desperate for Yogi to fail.

I don't see the posts since yesterday as that at all as most are sensible assessments of what any regular fan has witnessed over a number of games now culminating in yesterday's virtual capitulation to a very decent SFL team! :confused:

I'm always amazed at how people get "categorised " on here and it seems to be happening again with the "Yogi lovers" and the "Yogi bashers" when I see it as more about the manner in which our team participates in matches which is about much more than tactics and managerial judgement IMO! :agree:

crash
14-03-2010, 09:34 PM

Nobody is disputing this:confused:

I
hate the fact that 2/3 of the way into the season there are a bunch of total knobjockeys on here that are dying for him to fail in order to support their belief that he wasn't ever up to the job..
Dismissing what in the main have been well thought out posts by the majority in this way indicates that you have failed to understand the frustration felt in many quarters.

What schedule? Havent seen any improvement over the season

We are lightweight in midfield and its no surprise that our poorest form has come at a time when we aren't able to pass round other teams.
Even somebody with basic tactical Knowledge can conlude that 2 against 4 in midfield is football suicide, yet the penny hasn't dropped for Mr Hughes.

Much of it due to the state of the parks.
This excuse is becoming more worn out than the pitches. We weren't playing any good football in August or September either.

Don't see why it is necessary to get a lot wrong, how long do you suggest he gets?

Are you seriously suggesting we are playing in the right way this season?

ScottB
14-03-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm slightly mystified by people describing Yogi as inexperienced :confused:

He is by far the most experienced manager we have had since Bobby Williamson. Not that I have anything against Yogi, and I think he will come good, but we aren't talking about a Collins or a Mowbray here. The basic stuff Yogi has been getting wrong / not fixing should surely be obvious to him by now. Saying he's inexperienced is no defence for me.

HFC 0-7
14-03-2010, 11:25 PM
I'm slightly mystified by people describing Yogi as inexperienced :confused:

He is by far the most experienced manager we have had since Bobby Williamson. Not that I have anything against Yogi, and I think he will come good, but we aren't talking about a Collins or a Mowbray here. The basic stuff Yogi has been getting wrong / not fixing should surely be obvious to him by now. Saying he's inexperienced is no defence for me.

you could be a manager for 50 years but still be inexperienced. Yogi has only managed small clubs with small fan base and limited expectations. He has only really managed Falkirk and that was at the wrong end of the table. Fighting relegation and fighting for a european spot are 2 very different things. As to managing Hibs compared to Falkirk, a big difference and much more pressure. He isnt experienced in managing a team with big expectations fighting at the right end of the table. IMO, Yogi is inexperienced and it has shown recently with poor tactics a decisions.

I think he has shown signs of being inexperienced in transfer windows, yes he has brought in some excellent players but maybe he should have filled the positions we needed rather than buying more strikers, midfielders and goalkeepers.

IMO Yogi will come good, but the only way he will do this is to look at the managers that have experience managing a club the size of hibs to some success. Right now I think that Yogi is a little hard headed and and is refusing to realise that his plan of tactics are not the answer at hibs right now.

rainman
15-03-2010, 04:06 AM

Deary me!

and

Deary me! :bitchy:

hibiedude
15-03-2010, 06:53 AM
I'll judge Yogi end off the season but the cup reply and the Hearts game we must get back to the basics and that's passing the ball and get the team formation and tactics right

I hope to god Yogi is not mixu mark 2

Phil MaGlass
15-03-2010, 08:55 AM
As I regularly post, we have been playing crap for months now, this just didnt happen over night,and its now good to see even some of the happy clappers agreeing now,it took you a wile but you eventually got there.Hughes needs to dump the wimps and shirkers play with one or two up front and steel up midfield.When teams like Irvine Meadow or Ross County give you a game and even score twice against a top of the league team,a supposed challenger for third place,then you know something is wrong,it doesnt take a blind man to notice it.
There is no way we should be getting beat from hertz next week,they are complete mince and in disarray, if we do then I fear for the rest of the season.
I will predict a 5th place finish for Hibs and a semi final place if were lucky.

sadtom
15-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Nobody is disputing this:confused:

I
Dismissing what in the main have been well thought out posts by the majority in this way indicates that you have failed to understand the frustration felt in many quarters.

'Well thought out' my hairy erchie! Its the random slavering of a bunch of wannabe's who frankly havent got a a clue. Wouldn't let any of them near my laddies U10 team never mind Hibs.

What schedule? Havent seen any improvement over the season

If you dont think that we are better than last season, or at least that the INTENTION to do it right is there, then you either have missed last season or this one.
Enthusiasm/pride is up at the club.
The squad is better and getting stronger.
More points than last season, in with good shout of 3rd and europe. Still in QF of the scottish.
Up until the turn of the year we had the joint best defence in britain. Even up til a month ago were determined, more resolute and didn't seem to know when we were beat. (How many times have we scored late goals? More than ever that i can remember in 40 odd years of watching Hibs.)
We are a long way from the finished article. Lets keep trying though.

Even somebody with basic tactical Knowledge can conlude that 2 against 4 in midfield is football suicide, yet the penny hasn't dropped for Mr Hughes.

Your assuming that have the dumplin's on here and at ER have a basic tactical knowledge - THEY DONT! They are frustrated wannabes and clueless amateurs. Dont flatter yourself.
Why should having two central midfielders, when the other two spaces are filled either with the wide attacking players dropping in or the full backs pushin up. Potentially its an interesting and more fluid midfield when it goes well. Its not suicide and its still possible to dominate games when it works - which it has sometimes and hasn't on others.

This excuse is becoming more worn out than the pitches. We weren't playing any good football in August or September either.

Not true. Our performances have been patchy all year. However as playing some terrible football we have played some good stuff aswell.
We try to play keep ball - a lot of the time its too slow, ponderous or deliberate but you can see the intention is there. If we cant go forward you go back/accross and try again. Sometimes we will revert to playing more direct, long balls. It worked in the 2nd half agains the sheep. Once we got a platform we started to move it well again.
However the way we try to play is riskier and more affected by the state of the pitches so it becomes harder. We are knowhere near what i think Yogi wants but the intention to do it the right way must continue IMHO.

Don't see why it is necessary to get a lot wrong, how long do you suggest he gets?

You dont think we'll get things wrong!!! You are living in cloud cuckoo land and dreaming of an era that we've NEVER had.

I want Yogi to be given 2-3 years minimum.

Are you seriously suggesting we are playing in the right way this season?

This it what annoys me most.
Lots of Hibs fans are happy to have the 'flair' or 'exciting' tag attributed to the club. The moment we are not pasing teams of the park and winning games then the usual bleating for 'ball winners' or 'Matty Jack' type players starts. We dont have the money to aquire barca standard players so the standard of individual wont be anywhere near as good. However as a team we should be trying to emulate it as best we can.
What do we want?
So do we try to do it right and fail (specatularly at times).
Or do we resort to agricultural football for short term gain.
It would be the former for me everytime. Those who go for the later have the option of the PBS.
Hopefully, through time and effort the ratio of successful attempts to play 'football' get progressively higher to our failed attemps.

In Yogi we trust.

Not bad going for 9 months in the job.

judas
15-03-2010, 01:06 PM

'MON THE YOGI!

He he he he. :faf: