PDA

View Full Version : I Only Want To Say The Scottish Cup Is No One's Bag

Dashing Bob S
13-03-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm getting to the point where I feel that they should scrap this embarrassing diddy tournament, or make it the de facto reserve competition it's probably really been for at least fifteen years.

The truth is that with another round of poor attendances today, nobodyy really cares. Cup competitions have become a bit like saving the panda, everybody thinks it's a good idea, but when it comes down to it, nobody can be bothered.

Because of our cup history, we're supposed to care more than most, but I see no real evidence for that. We were outplayed by Ross County today and the Hibs fans who bothered to show just grumbled vaguely about this state of affairs but didn't seem nearly as upset as they would be if it was 'real' football, ie: the league. Journo's, some fans and few players will trot out how much it means to us ('holy grail' is the latest tiresome cliche deployed to try to breathe life into this dodo tourney) but the truth is we're not that bothered, unless we find ourselves in the final whereby we rub shoulders with glory hunters in the quest for tickets.

It's a shame we can't bring ourselves to take more interest. I can recall when I started watching Hibs 30 years ago that drawing A'deen or Dundee in the cup at ER would mean about twice the size of gate for the corresponding humdrum league fixture.

It's not like the SPL has become more entertaining or more winable for us over this period. I feel by ignoring the cup, football fans have just helped the powers that be to con ourselves.

Alex Trager
13-03-2010, 05:07 PM
Would you say that if we get through and go onto win it

zlatan
13-03-2010, 05:09 PM
I think we've gone from laughing at our own dismal record in the cup to just not really caring anymore. I had no real feeling of any emotion after todays result but was devastated with the 1-1 draw against St Johnstone a fortnight ago.

Oh when the Hibs go up to lift the Scottish Cup, well there will have been a zombie outbreak by then and we'll all be to busy trying to scran the team as opposed to being there.

noseyhibby
13-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I think we've gone from laughing at our own dismal record in the cup to just not really caring anymore. I had no real feeling of any emotion after todays result but was devastated with the 1-1 draw against St Johnstone a fortnight ago.

Oh when the Hibs go up to lift the Scottish Cup, well there will have been a zombie outbreak by then and we'll all be to busy trying to scran the team as opposed to being there.

The zombies have already arrived by the collective look on the faces of most Hibs players this afternoon.

vahibbie
13-03-2010, 06:29 PM
Hmmmm.
We'll still have 30-40 thousand folk looking for tickets if we reach the final:devil:

noseyhibby
13-03-2010, 06:31 PM
The truth is that with another round of poor attendances today, nobodyy really cares. Cup competitions have become a bit like saving the panda, everybody thinks it's a good idea, but when it comes down to it, nobody can be bothered.

I have to agree with you. In fact, winning the scottish cup is not top of my agenda as a hibby. I look forward to seeing 100% commitment week-in,week-out from my team and getting as high up in the league table as possible. I also look forward to seeing a completed stadium. BTW I honestly don't rate the Scottish cup above the league cup, which we've clinched 3 times in my lifetime, to the Hearts clinching two trophies.

marinello59
13-03-2010, 07:29 PM
I have to agree with you. In fact, winning the scottish cup is not top of my agenda as a hibby. I look forward to seeing 100% commitment week-in,week-out from my team and getting as high up in the league table as possible. I also look forward to seeing a completed stadium. BTW I honestly don't rate the Scottish cup above the league cup, which we've clinched 3 times in my lifetime, to the Hearts clinching two trophies.

We won't win the league in my lifetime but the Scottish is a possibility. It's certainly near the top of my agenda.

Broken Gnome
13-03-2010, 07:37 PM
I think we're trying to make ourselves believe that. The feeling of terror from the stands when that boy got to the byline and the carnage that followed would suggest matters a hell of a lot.

greenlex
13-03-2010, 08:12 PM
We wont win it ever again. Lets just get used to it. There that was easy. :agree:

matty_f
13-03-2010, 08:15 PM
We won't win the league in my lifetime but the Scottish is a possibility. It's certainly near the top of my agenda.

:agree: Same here. I'd love us to win it.