PDA

View Full Version : Greggs Gary Oconnor

Wembley67
13-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Has been offered a contract at Celtic but turned it down as he didn't want to be a bench boy....he approached Hibs about signing but we couldnt afford his wages - all fact, woohoo go me :greengrin

Big Frank
13-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Has been offered a contract at Celtic but turned it down as he didn't want to be a bench boy....he approached Hibs about signing but we couldnt afford his wages - all fact, woohoo go me :greengrin

What was he looking to earn?

bighairyfaeleith
13-03-2010, 05:35 PM

is his contract up in the summer?

hibee_girl
is his contract up in the summer?

:agree:

Wembley67
What was he looking to earn?

No idea. To be honest I liked the idea that he came to us, so maybe something might be thrashed out :cool2:

_hucks_
13-03-2010, 05:36 PM

Not going to ask for a source as always happens, as you'd have said if you felt you could, but is your source reliable?

shamo9
13-03-2010, 05:38 PM
No idea. To be honest I liked the idea that he came to us, so maybe something might be thrashed out :cool2:

We could offer to name the new East Stand after him?:wink:

Wembley67
13-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Not going to ask for a source as always happens, as you'd have said if you felt you could, but is your source reliable?

Yup, he has absolutely no reason to tell porkie pies - just got to wait and see.

Alex Trager
13-03-2010, 05:39 PM
Surely if he approached us he'd conside dropping his wages.... the boys loaded

Jim44
13-03-2010, 05:45 PM

If true, he's got a bit of a nerve offering his services to a club whose wage structure isn't remotely near what he'll be looking for and well he knows it. If big time Charlie seriously wanted to return to his roots, he'd have to be prepared to take a huge drop in wages and live on the millions he's tucked away. :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
13-03-2010, 05:46 PM
punt nish, sign o'connor. Simples :greengrin

Alex Trager
13-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Nish played the best today

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
13-03-2010, 05:47 PM
Nish playedthe best today

:confused: He is beyond gash.

bighairyfaeleith
13-03-2010, 05:48 PM
Nish playedthe best today

aye but that isnae saying much, you couldn't honestly tell me you want him ahead of o'connor?

Would you get rid of stokesy or riordan before nish?

Alex Trager
13-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I never said that i just think theres others that could go before the curly wurly

bighairyfaeleith
13-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I never said that i just think theres others that could go before the curly wurly

yeah but if we are to sign another striker, we need to get rid of one of the other strikers and nish would get my vote as he is a similar player to o'connor but not as good.

Sean1875
13-03-2010, 05:50 PM
He was in the ground watching again today :agree:

Alex Trager
13-03-2010, 05:51 PM
Unlucky him....

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
13-03-2010, 05:52 PM

Any chance we could get him on loan?

Hibs90
13-03-2010, 05:53 PM
:confused: He is beyond gash.

Better than Nade though. :agree:

500miles
13-03-2010, 05:53 PM
Stokes won't be here long I reckon. Benji either. Every so often, two big guys up front could be just the ticket - it certainly doesn't stop St.J's playing a wee bit of football from time to time.

Wembley67
13-03-2010, 06:04 PM
If true, he's got a bit of a nerve offering his services to a club whose wage structure isn't remotely near what he'll be looking for and well he knows it. If big time Charlie seriously wanted to return to his roots, he'd have to be prepared to take a huge drop in wages and live on the millions he's tucked away. :greengrin

Totally agree, certainly looks like he is getting ready to come home as he has also purchased a rather large holding in 'Le Monde'....way too much cash :greengrin

blaikie
13-03-2010, 06:13 PM
We'll see O'Connor back at Hibs one day, But hes reaching his peak and if given a chance he could still make it down south.

TheEastTerrace
13-03-2010, 10:07 PM
A mate of mine was speaking to GOC today and pretty much told him what the OP stated. Said he didn't want to go to Celtic in case he didn't get a regular game and was keen to come back to ER, but we couldn't put the cash up for wages.

Bayern Bru
13-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I'll be the first.

PETRIE!

Diclonius
13-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please.

madabouthibs
13-03-2010, 10:53 PM
Hmmm... maybe be good for 8 goals a season, then spend the rest of the time on the Physio table. :agree:
He obviously knows he's getting punted from Brum if he's looking to come back up here.

The_Horde
14-03-2010, 05:06 AM
A mate of mine was speaking to GOC today and pretty much told him what the OP stated. Said he didn't want to go to Celtic in case he didn't get a regular game and was keen to come back to ER, but we couldn't put the cash up for wages.

If he wanted to come back that much...

Tell yae what, walked past him the day, he's a lot bigger than i thought!

Boys a machine.

Aldo
14-03-2010, 06:43 AM
Benj

spot on. O Connor was a machine, full of power and running. If we were to lose one of our Strikers then he would be an ample replacement.

Never say never. Look at Stokes/Miller did we ever expect to see players of their quality at ER....I would say no.

MrSmith
14-03-2010, 10:28 AM
Hmmm... maybe be good for 8 goals a season, then spend the rest of the time on the Physio table. :agree:
He obviously knows he's getting punted from Brum if he's looking to come back up here.

Pretty much my thoughts and previous recollection!

lyonhibs
14-03-2010, 10:34 AM
Please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please please.

This :agree:

If there's even a remote possibility of us getting O'Connor Back - which I doubt there is re: wages - then it should be done.

I'd be 10x as excited about O'Connor coming back than I was about Riordan's return.

Sammy7nil
14-03-2010, 11:42 AM
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if there is any substance to ths "rumour"
I mean he could sign for 20 - 30 clubs that could offer 4 - 5 times what Hibs can offer.

P.S. is there any truth Katie and Broon have called the Tache and are keen to return :greengrin

Petrie's Tache
14-03-2010, 11:48 AM
I would be absolutely gobsmacked if there is any substance to ths "rumour"
I mean he could sign for 20 - 30 clubs that could offer 4 - 5 times what Hibs can offer.

P.S. is there any truth Katie and Broon have called the Tache and are keen to return :greengrin

Broon................KT...................Miller

Stokes.............G'Oc.................Deek

Now I would wet myself if that were ever to happen.:greengrin

.Sean.
14-03-2010, 12:57 PM
We'd all love it to happen, unfortunately I can't see it happening as soon as this summer though.

Alfred E Newman
14-03-2010, 04:40 PM
if he does want back up here I wouldn`t be surprised if Jeffries tried to sign him.:agree:

.Sean.
14-03-2010, 05:20 PM
if he does want back up here I wouldn`t be surprised if Jeffries tried to sign him.:agree:
Problem being for the fat Hearts scaff is that O'Connor wouldn't sign for them.

Diclonius
14-03-2010, 05:46 PM
Problem being for the fat Hearts scaff is that O'Connor wouldn't sign for them.

:bitchy: But that's what we said about Riordan.. And Killen..

Wait.

Www1875hfc
14-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Dont get me wrong, i would love to see gary o return, but seriously, there is other positions in dire need of filling.
i.e a right back and also a decent centre half.

PaulSmith
14-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Dont get me wrong, i would love to see gary o return, but seriously, there is other positions in dire need of filling.

Dire need...an Ivory Coast centre half and Scotland's most promising centre half. Another slight over reaction?

Allant1981
14-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Dire need...an Ivory Coast centre half and Scotland's most promising centre half. Another slight over reaction?

and Hoggy!!

Www1875hfc
14-03-2010, 06:25 PM
A slight over reaction? every man and his dug can see we need those positions filled.
An ivory coast internationalist thats been out of form for months?

Hibs On Tour
14-03-2010, 07:15 PM
No for me. Not a prolific enough scorer for us to be chucking top dollar at I'm afraid. No doubting he is a more complete and rounded player than he was when he left us but still a little injury-prone and not scoring enough [although I do take the point its in a far harder league and he's not playing that regularly]

There are areas of our team that are in more immediate need of strengthening than up front IMHO. Even if Stokes were to leave in the summer [for which we'd no doubt get good money for] and if Benji didn't get an extension, we still have DR, Galbraith, Nish, Kurtis and whoever we no doubt would spend some of the Stokes money on as a replacement.

[tin hat on] :tin hat:

sixtwo
14-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I'd take him in a heart beat.

If stokes makes any noises about moving along to darkheid or down south, GOC would be a perfect replacement. I'm sure the club would be able to strike a deal with his wages if they got a fee for stokes.

This is the only scenario where I think it will happen and indeed where it would be a viable option.

Cocaine&Caviar
14-03-2010, 07:29 PM
seriously, there is other positions in dire need of filling.

You could say that we don't need a striker because Riordan and Stokes have both scored goals this year. However, I think a lot of us would agree that we will need a change in either formation or playing style next year in order to have better performances to go along with the results. In order for this we need a striker that can hold the ball up, and if Riordan is going to play on the left, bring him into play. GO'C would fit the bill perfectly, much is the reason why Riordan's first stint on the left was more successful than this one in my opinion.

I think that Nish is capable at times, but is far too inconsistent. Benjelloun will be off IMO, and its only a matter of time before Stokes will be off...

Craig_in_Prague
14-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Deek and GOC again would be quite fantastic :drool:

Cocaine&Caviar
14-03-2010, 07:34 PM
Deek and GOC again would be quite fantastic :drool:

With Sproule on the right...

Allant1981
14-03-2010, 07:40 PM
No for me. Not a prolific enough scorer for us to be chucking top dollar at I'm afraid. No doubting he is a more complete and rounded player than he was when he left us but still a little injury-prone and not scoring enough [although I do take the point its in a far harder league and he's not playing that regularly]

There are areas of our team that are in more immediate need of strengthening than up front IMHO. Even if Stokes were to leave in the summer [for which we'd no doubt get good money for] and if Benji didn't get an extension, we still have DR, Galbraith, Nish, Kurtis and whoever we no doubt would spend some of the Stokes money on as a replacement.

[tin hat on] :tin hat:

Im sorry but i cant see Galbraith scoring 15-20 goals per season, or nish. Havent seen much of Byrne to comment on him but hopefully he can come in and score some goals but again i doubt if he is going to be anywhere near the 20 goals per season that a team needs to win trophies

TRC
14-03-2010, 08:28 PM
Totally agree, certainly looks like he is getting ready to come home as he has also purchased a rather large holding in 'Le Monde'....way too much cash :greengrin

Surley just so Deeks can go somewhere:greengrin

TRC
14-03-2010, 08:32 PM
I haven't seen 1 rumour that stokes wants to leave or is trying to leave, so to say spend the money from stokes on a replacement is just pie in the sky chat, So then it'll be stokes Deek and GOC up front :greengrin

Billychaotic182
14-03-2010, 08:58 PM
Said on the radio at the weekend he has been at the games the last few weeks :hmmm::pray:

Hibs On Tour
14-03-2010, 11:09 PM
Im sorry but i cant see Galbraith scoring 15-20 goals per season, or nish. Havent seen much of Byrne to comment on him but hopefully he can come in and score some goals but again i doubt if he is going to be anywhere near the 20 goals per season that a team needs to win trophies

Well, GOC isn't a 20-goals a season man - that's for sure. You'll notice that I also said that if Stokes goes we'll surely splash some of the cash we get for him on a suitable replacement - i.e. someone who can score some goals.

PS - one sure way of ensuring neither Galbraith or Byrne gets 20 a season is to not even give them the opportunity to do so, no?...

500miles
14-03-2010, 11:42 PM
Well, GOC isn't a 20-goals a season man - that's for sure. You'll notice that I also said that if Stokes goes we'll surely splash some of the cash we get for him on a suitable replacement - i.e. someone who can score some goals.

PS - one sure way of ensuring neither Galbraith or Byrne gets 20 a season is to not even give them the opportunity to do so, no?...

GO'C will get about 13,14,15 goals a season. For a guy who puts himself about, has a bit of physical presence, brings others into the game, and set up goals, thats plenty.

In fact, when the pitches are like this, and we're forced to go back to front, playing with Nish and O'Connor as an occassional pairing for thier height could be pretty successful.

Stokes and O'Connor would trouble backlines with pace and stregnth.

Riordan and O'Connor have already shown what they can do.

A player like O'Connor would be the first striker in my team right now. Stokes would be second.

silverhibee
15-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Has anyone on here considered or thought why Birmingham City are just prepared to let GOC leave for nothing in the summer, i know he has been injured for a wee while but surely it would have been sensible for BC to have given GOC an extra year to his contract so that they could have recouped some of the money they have spent on him with his time at that club, he is obviously fit now or close to it, and the strange thing is he is still contracted to BC, but no where near there training centre, he seems to be spending alot of his time down in the East coast, and not with his club, it seems they have parted company already.
Regarding GOC coming back to Hibs, cant see it happening to be honest, wee have enough problems at Hibs just now with out bringing an even bigger problem to the club.

Hibs On Tour
15-03-2010, 12:51 AM
GO'C will get about 13,14,15 goals a season. For a guy who puts himself about, has a bit of physical presence, brings others into the game, and set up goals, thats plenty.

In fact, when the pitches are like this, and we're forced to go back to front, playing with Nish and O'Connor as an occassional pairing for thier height could be pretty successful.

Stokes and O'Connor would trouble backlines with pace and stregnth.

Riordan and O'Connor have already shown what they can do.

A player like O'Connor would be the first striker in my team right now. Stokes would be second.

I'd agree that GOC would get 10+ goals a season. My point was that he's not an out-and-out scorer in the way that Stokes is. I too agree that he would do a job for us, I just don't necessarily think he would get that much more than say Nish would if given the same run and amount of games to make it worth the while breaking the bank for.

Hibs On Tour
15-03-2010, 12:53 AM
Has anyone on here considered or thought why Birmingham City are just prepared to let GOC leave for nothing in the summer, i know he has been injured for a wee while but surely it would have been sensible for BC to have given GOC an extra year to his contract so that they could have recouped some of the money they have spent on him with his time at that club, he is obviously fit now or close to it, and the strange thing is he is still contracted to BC, but no where near there training centre, he seems to be spending alot of his time down in the East coast, and not with his club, it seems they have parted company already.
Regarding GOC coming back to Hibs, cant see it happening to be honest, wee have enough problems at Hibs just now with out bringing an even bigger problem to the club.

See where you're coming from and agree. Not like its not pretty common knowledge, after all.

Allant1981
15-03-2010, 01:19 AM
I'd agree that GOC would get 10+ goals a season. My point was that he's not an out-and-out scorer in the way that Stokes is. I too agree that he would do a job for us, I just don't necessarily think he would get that much more than say Nish would if given the same run and amount of games to make it worth the while breaking the bank for.

Nish has played quite a few games and only scored about 6 goals this season. Not exactly a good return. imo GOC would score at least 15-20 goals per season up here

silverhibee
15-03-2010, 01:25 AM
See where you're coming from and agree. Not like its not pretty common knowledge, after all.

Exactly, and people are creaming there selfs about GOC playing for Hibs again.

Hibs On Tour
15-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Nish has played quite a few games and only scored about 6 goals this season. Not exactly a good return. imo GOC would score at least 15-20 goals per season up here

All about opinions. I think GOC would get about 10-15 max per season. Certainly no danger of him being a 20+ a season man.

For what we laid out for him, Nish's return is fine for me. I also reckon if he got a run in the starting 11 he may well be a 10 goal a season man. Better value in Nish than in GOC for me...

The_Todd
15-03-2010, 08:30 AM
http://www.abstractbathrooms.co.uk/images/slipper_bath.jpg

+

http://www.robertopiecollection.com/Application/Images/Newpics/02PAC46md.jpg

+

Gramo

=

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41294000/jpg/_41294520_oconnor270.jpg

Fact.

Allant1981
15-03-2010, 06:39 PM
All about opinions. I think GOC would get about 10-15 max per season. Certainly no danger of him being a 20+ a season man.

For what we laid out for him, Nish's return is fine for me. I also reckon if he got a run in the starting 11 he may well be a 10 goal a season man. Better value in Nish than in GOC for me...

But he has had a run in the team and still doesnt score many goals.

snooky
15-03-2010, 06:54 PM

Just an observation but, he was limping when I saw him in the West Stand last week. Didn't look fit or near to fit to me.

seanraff07
15-03-2010, 08:43 PM
Cmon guys i'm sure he'll be training with Hearts just like he was a year or two ago.:faf:

silverhibee
16-03-2010, 07:28 PM
Just an observation but, he was limping when I saw him in the West Stand last week. Didn't look fit or near to fit to me.

He looked fine when i saw him.

1two
16-03-2010, 08:21 PM

+

+

Gramo

=

Fact.

:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
16-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Players as good as Garry O'Connor don't become available too often. If there is any truth to this rumour then we should get him signed up pronto if we can afford it.

Regardless of whether we need him, we should sign him as firstly it stops Celtc or the currants getting him and secondly we are not a club who can turn down strikers who don't look out of place in the premiership whther we need them or not. Would take the big man back in a heartbeat.

Pretty Boy
16-03-2010, 08:33 PM

He is nowhere near fit, out for the season.

As for the problem part. Garry was a bit of a daft laddie when he was here before and had his share of problems. He's had a few 'incidents' in his career but as far as i can see he would be no problem now. Older and wiser for his experiences playing elsewhere.

Bad Martini
17-03-2010, 12:22 PM

If there's even a remote possibility of us getting O'Connor Back - which I doubt there is re: wages - then it should be done.

I'd be 10x as excited about O'Connor coming back than I was about Riordan's return.

I'd be 10x more excited about O'Connor returning if he done so whilst Deek is here.

Folk can criticise Deek as much as they like but there's no denying both O'Connor and Riordan together would be better (given some time to re-gel) then ANY possible forward combination we have at the club right now.

The two of them, whilst possibly not as sharp as they were, could still together, sort a fair few goals between them. I cannot see that type of partnership being formed between any 2 Hibs forwards (or even Deek and a forward given Deek is not an out and out "forward") presently at the club.

Septimus
17-03-2010, 12:41 PM
No idea what GOC's financial position is but if he has been wise he may not need the cash and therein lies the problem. Personally I would rather see a youngster, hungry for glory and desperate to play for the team coming through than yesterday's man looking for a quiet life.

silverhibee
17-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I'd be 10x more excited about O'Connor returning if he done so whilst Deek is here.

Folk can criticise Deek as much as they like but there's no denying both O'Connor and Riordan together would be better (given some time to re-gel) then ANY possible forward combination we have at the club right now.

The two of them, whilst possibly not as sharp as they were, could still together, sort a fair few goals between them. I cannot see that type of partnership being formed between any 2 Hibs forwards (or even Deek and a forward given Deek is not an out and out "forward") presently at the club.

In my time BM, they were the best striking partnership i have ever seen at Hibs, from the under 18s- 21s, to the full team they were brillant together, there understanding of each others game was a joy to watch, between them they must have scored a barrow load of goals for the under 21s when they played together.
Sadly i dont think wee will ever see the two of them play together in a Hibs shirt again.

God Petrie
17-03-2010, 01:27 PM
would prefer murph to come back

steakbake
17-03-2010, 01:30 PM
No idea what GOC's financial position is but if he has been wise he may not need the cash and therein lies the problem. Personally I would rather see a youngster, hungry for glory and desperate to play for the team coming through than yesterday's man looking for a quiet life.

Yesterday's man.... He's 26.

hibee_girl
17-03-2010, 01:34 PM

Personally I would look at it in a more positive way such as GOC's made his money so now he's looking to get back to playing for a team he loved playing for.

blackpoolhibs
17-03-2010, 03:57 PM
Personally I would look at it in a more positive way such as GOC's made his money so now he's looking to get back to playing for a team he loved playing for.

And his first bad game would be slaughtered, because he's made his money, and cant be bothered now.

RoslinInstHibby
17-03-2010, 04:44 PM
And his first bad game would be slaughtered, because he's made his money, and cant be bothered now.

:agree: sad but true

weonlywon6-2
17-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Yup, he has absolutely no reason to tell porkie pies - just got to wait and see.

no reaseon why it cant be true. he was at easter road recently and he will have to take a cut in wages because everyone has to.
he is injury prone though but if we could get him it wouldnt be that bad a piece of business:thumbsup:

Hibercelona
17-03-2010, 07:59 PM
GOC would rip the pish out this league IMO.

Wembley67
15-06-2011, 06:10 PM
Does this count as an exclusive that took a while to come to fruition?

:greengrin

EasterRoad4Ever
15-06-2011, 06:14 PM
Just on case you'd all forgotten what Ivan & GO did for us last time around :greengrin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-ZZfEOzBPE

snooky
15-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Just on case you'd all forgotten what Ivan & GO did for us last time around :greengrin

.. complete with the usual unbias commentary.:rolleyes:

lyonhibs
15-06-2011, 06:51 PM

Still buzzing about this. The only time my jaw has dropped this much was when I read that Fowler had resigned for Liverpool.

Brilliant, brilliant signing. Can't wait for the press conference tomorrow.

Removed
15-06-2011, 07:00 PM

Sure MS was in there as well :wink:

Irish_Steve
15-06-2011, 07:11 PM

+

+

Gramo

=

Fact.

Will you be doing this before the first game of the season??????

millarco
15-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Sure MS was in there as well :wink:

And Ian Murray. :wink:

500miles
15-06-2011, 07:41 PM
If we could get Chris Porter now, we'd be laughing up front.

hfc rd
15-06-2011, 07:53 PM
What a difference a week makes! This time last week we will calling for the board to just walk away and fearing relegation and now we have jus brought back a fans favourite in O'Connor and are on the verge of possibly signing a big commanding CB in O'Hanlon who was well respected down south. Full credit to CC and the board for making us eat our own words.

Really can't wait for this press conference tomorrow. Who knows CC and the board might have already made another signing or two and are keeping this under wraps and could introduce him tomorrow. Does anyone know if the press conference will be shown live tomorrow or will we have to wait till the BBC or Hibs TV put it up online to watch?