PDA

View Full Version : Tactical shambles (merged)

shamo9
13-03-2010, 04:48 PM
The general performance levels today were woeful without doubt - too many didn't turn up - but I can't fathom why, when you're 2-1 up, you basically go 4-2-4.

We were doing doing our job, albeit in turgid fashion, so instead of getting tight, compact and resolute as is the prerequisite against lower league teams; we put on more forwards and gave the County wide players the freedom of Easter Road.

You can't just play Miller and Mcbride on their own and expect for them to compete against a wave of midfielders who drive forward as a unit (there's an idea). This is a Scottish Cup quarter final against a lower league team, a time and place to simply get stuck in with grafters like Rankin, Stevenson, Thicot and Mcbride; not guys like Benji.

I could dissect that performance morbidly all night but the truth is this: we haven't suddenly become a bad team over night. It's been said before and it will be said even louder now - 4-4-2 please.

I fear for us next week without the physical presence of Nish as well... ugh.

skipster7
13-03-2010, 04:49 PM
that today has left me totally raging:grr: completely outfought, slow to every ball,shockingly poor in possession,no drive in fact a total embarrassment that they were hungrier than us.
in fact yogis just been on saying we had more chances in the second half:confused: not the game i was at:bitchy: 1 half chance for nish compared to half a dozen near things.lucky to still be in the cup!!!

Broken Gnome
13-03-2010, 04:51 PM
So many people that are culpable for that shambles, but the short of it is that anyone could have seen that Ross County would have continued to be a threat in that second half. Hughes made changes that did absolute nothing to rectify that, in fact it probably made it worse. He basically had a team out there that looked incapable of defending with next to no protection, and one that never ever looked likely to hold on to a lead against a first division side.

NorthNorfolkHFC
13-03-2010, 04:52 PM
I realise there are a few pretty bad performances today but Yogi has to put his hands up and say he has ****ed up.

He won't learn and refuses to change tactics.

Our fullbacks get hammered EVERY game, our midfield has no shape!!!

Yogi has to learn as we have murder for over 6 games no with a downright refusal to change.

There were bad performances but today's performance was Yogi's fault!!1:boo hoo:

Frogga
13-03-2010, 04:54 PM
Disgrace to the shirt today. Ross County played well but we were murder, I hope John Hughes went mental because there were 10,000 or so Hibees there who would have killed to be in that dressing room after the game.:grr:

PC Stamp
13-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Disgrace to the shirt today. Ross County played well but we were murder, I hope John Hughes went mental because there were 10,000 or so Hibees there who would have killed to be in that dressing room after the game.:grr:

Less than 10000 at the game according to BBC report and 1600 of them were from Dingwall.

shamo9
13-03-2010, 04:55 PM
So many people that are culpable for that shambles, but the short of it is that anyone could have seen that Ross County would have continued to be a threat in that second half. Hughes made changes that did absolute nothing to rectify that, in fact it probably made it worse. He basically had a team out there that looked incapable of defending with next to no protection, and one that never ever looked likely to hold on to a lead against a first division side.

Exactly. County were obviously never going to give up - it was there cup final. Which is why we should've taken off Riordan and Stokes, brought on Galbraith and Thicot (Stevenson) and played compact, taking all the pace and passion out of the game while waiting for an opportunity to counter attack.

It seems we're incapable of digging in most of the time.

matty_f
13-03-2010, 04:56 PM
The general performance levels today were woeful without doubt - too many didn't turn up - but I can't fathom why, when you're 2-1 up, you basically go 4-2-4.

We were doing doing our job, albeit in turgid fashion, so instead of getting tight, compact and resolute as is the prerequisite against lower league teams; we put on more forwards and gave the County wide players the freedom of Easter Road.

You can't just play Miller and Mcbride on their own and expect for them to compete against a wave of midfielders who drive forward as a unit (there's an idea).

I could dissect that performance morbidly all night but the truth is this: we haven't suddenly become a bad team over night. It's been said before and it will be said even louder now - 4-4-2 please.

We've had a problem with the midfield since Mixu was in charge - the problem is we've too many good strikers and we need to realise soon that it's detrimental to the team when we try to play them all at once.

IMHO, we don't need to have Deek on the left - we need a left sided midfielder who can do that job and counter his opposite number.

We don't need to have Nish or Benji playing an attacking midfield role, we can play Zouma there if need be - he'd give us an 'out' and can create proper chances for the forwards.

The whole shape of the team has been wrong for a long time - sometimes because of the quality we've got in the side, we get away with it and can look quite good.

Recently though, we've looked disjointed and have struggled.

The answer (IMHO) is to get the basics in place - a 4-4-2 with midfielders in midfield, and Deek and Stokes up front. It's all very well having 3 or 4 natural goalscorers on the pitch at once, but if they're not getting fed the ball in good positions or are watching as the opposition run all over the top of us, then it's pointless.

EasterRoad4Ever
13-03-2010, 04:56 PM
:agree: Utter shambles. Bunch of lazy *******s. £5m on a training centre, and Ross Bloody County are fitter and better technical players than our bunch. And don't get me going about our Captain.... No leadership, terrible player, no drive, no desire.

In fact, in that 90 mins we could see precisely why we have no won that bit of tin for 108 years - bunch of meek, lazy *******s.

Judas Iscariot
13-03-2010, 04:58 PM

Hopefully in the mirror 1st, to himself!

He's the guy that keeps playing the wacky formations with rank rotten players..

The team is completely devoid of any direction, organisation or structure..

Getting awfy close to the shambles under Mixup..

shamo9
We've had a problem with the midfield since Mixu was in charge - the problem is we've too many good strikers and we need to realise soon that it's detrimental to the team when we try to play them all at once.

IMHO, we don't need to have Deek on the left - we need a left sided midfielder who can do that job and counter his opposite number.

We don't need to have Nish or Benji playing an attacking midfield role, we can play Zouma there if need be - he'd give us an 'out' and can create proper chances for the forwards.

The whole shape of the team has been wrong for a long time - sometimes because of the quality we've got in the side, we get away with it and can look quite good.

The answer (IMHO) is to get the basics in place - a 4-4-2 with midfielders in midfield, and Deek and Stokes up front. It's all very well having 3 or 4 natural goalscorers on the pitch at once, but if they're not getting fed the ball in good positions or are watching as the opposition run all over the top of us, then it's pointless.

At most we should be playing two in games like this, otherwise they just get in each other's way

Jim44
that today has left me totally raging:grr: completely outfought, slow to every ball,shockingly poor in possession,no drive in fact a total embarrassment that they were hungrier than us.
in fact yogis just been on saying we had more chances in the second half:confused: not the game i was at:bitchy: 1 half chance for nish compared to half a dozen near things.lucky to still be in the cup!!!

You don't become a bad team overnight but we have done our utmost to become an ordinary, spineless outfit in the space of a half a dozen games.

Reaper
13-03-2010, 05:01 PM

You can't just play Miller and Mcbride on their own and expect for them to compete against a wave of midfielders who drive forward as a unit (there's an idea). This is a Scottish Cup quarter final against a lower league team, a time and place to simply get stuck in with grafters like Rankin, Stevenson, Thicot and Mcbride; not guys like Benji.

Yogi hasn't got a clue at the minute how to get us back on track.

skipster7
13-03-2010, 05:02 PM
to be undone by the same ball over the top time and again was criminal.we were lucky we only lost 2 goals from it . our supposed captain is meant to be organising that defence but instead their number 9 won every header and we split like the red sea at every opportunity.fwiw i thought he could have brought on thicot or cregg for nish,instead of benji for stokes !

Judas Iscariot
13-03-2010, 05:04 PM
to be undone by the same ball over the top time and again was criminal.we were lucky we only lost 2 goals from it . our supposed captain is meant to be organising that defence but instead their number 9 won every header and we split like the red sea at every opportunity.fwiw i thought he could have brought on thicot or cregg for nish,instead of benji for stokes !

Hogg to blame

Phil D. Rolls
13-03-2010, 05:04 PM

There has to be a reason for the switch he made, but I don't know why he did it.

col02
13-03-2010, 05:08 PM
Hughes is the man responsible for that dross today no two ways about it! Galbraith I can understand coming on but why the **** bring Benji on at the expense of basically surrendering the midfield? Sad state of affairs when I am actually thinking twice about going to the replay. Hughes for all the plaudits he took earlier in the season now looks clueless at times and sticks with the same players time after time despite the fact every other manager has sussed his formation and "tactics" out.

archiebald
13-03-2010, 05:14 PM
We have no chance of going up there and winning with that team.
We already know they have no heart in the team and its to late to put it there now.No shape no guts no defence. :blah::blah:

Jim44
13-03-2010, 05:26 PM
We have no chance of going up there and winning with that team.
We already know they have no heart in the team and its to late to put it there now.No shape no guts no defence. :blah::blah:

Ironically, I think we have more chance of stealing a result up there as obvious underdogs than if we were playing a straight forward away cup-tie against 'inferior' opposition. They will be confident of a win and will get it if the same passionless, indifferent Hibs team turns up. If our players took a turn to themselves, realised that our last six or seven games have exposed every weakness we have and approached the game with a semblence of humility and determination, we could come away with a result.

shamo9
13-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Ironically, I think we have more chance of stealing a result up there as obvious underdogs than if we were playing a straight forward away cup-tie against 'inferior' opposition. They will be confident of a win and will get it if the same passionless, indifferent Hibs team turns up. If our players took a turn to themselves, realised that our last six or seven games have exposed every weakness we have and approached the game with a semblence of humility and determination, we could come away with a result.

We can't play any worse... can we?

Hainan Hibs
13-03-2010, 05:30 PM
It's obvious we need a straight forward 4 across the middle.

Even I could tactically outdo Hibs. Stick 5 across the midfield, or even a standard 4, and you;ve won the midfield. Especially when nae fight is shown from Hibs.

I feel some players need a look in the mirror. Do they want to acheive something this year? are they prepared to fight for it? Or is it all just about picking up the wage and throwing that away?

Hibby Bairn
13-03-2010, 05:37 PM
We haven't been the same since Maka got dropped. And that is a fact! :)

scotty1875
13-03-2010, 05:39 PM
:agree: Utter shambles. Bunch of lazy *******s. £5m on a training centre, and Ross Bloody County are fitter and better technical players than our bunch. And don't get me going about our Captain.... No leadership, terrible player, no drive, no desire.

In fact, in that 90 mins we could see precisely why we have no won that bit of tin for 108 years - bunch of meek, lazy *******s.

I thought exactly the same from halfway through the 2nd half.

I reckoned we'd squeeze a goal late on when they tired - but they were fitter than us, coped better with the state of the pitch and deserved to win.

Better be sorted for the Derby.

Hainan Hibs
13-03-2010, 05:42 PM
I thought exactly the same from halfway through the 2nd half.

I reckoned we'd squeeze a goal late on when they tired - but they were fitter than us, coped better with the state of the pitch and deserved to win.

Better be sorted for the Derby.

As much as I hate saying it Hearts players are always pumped up for the derby and take away the Sauzee era we crap it in 9 out of 10 derbies. If that team of fairies don't find a bit of desire or fight before Tynie we will be making Stewart look like a decent player again.

Hibs90
13-03-2010, 05:59 PM
Hogg to blame

The worlds gonnae end...Hogg to blame!

BSEJVT
13-03-2010, 06:22 PM

Agree entirely and if we could suddenly rustle up 2 big hard *******s to be amongst them so much the better.

I am totally fed up watching Hibs teams get outmuscled and outfought week after week.

Yogi should get f'in well shot for those subs today.

We didnt need to chase the game, we were getting overran in midfield and he puts on Benji and punts high balls for him to header, never won one or is likely to for the remainder of his career and Galbraith who at least got stuck in.

He should have put on cregg and maybe thicot and battled the game to standstill.

He is a very lucky guy that we are still in the cup. Will he change, will he f+ck.

loanheadhibby
13-03-2010, 06:28 PM
At most we should be playing two in games like this, otherwise they just get in each other's way

That performance today was like when dunf humped us 4-1 at er under Bobby Williamson.

We got overrun in the centre of the park and wotherspoon was getting slaughtered in 1st half.

I am afraid we just do not have the players to win this cup at the moment.

Alfred E Newman
13-03-2010, 07:19 PM
That performance today was like when dunf humped us 4-1 at er under Bobby Williamson.

We got overrun in the centre of the park and wotherspoon was getting slaughtered in 1st half.

I am afraid we just do not have the players to win this cup at the moment.

the truth is we are being over run every week now just as we were when we were scraping results together earlier in the season. Hughes persistence in playing 4-3-3 is costing us dearly. Benji for Stokes today was a farcical substitution, a decision that meant our already overrun midfield was even more overrun as we went to 4-2-4. It was a disgraceful performance by the players but Yogi has to accept some of the blame.

col02
13-03-2010, 07:22 PM
the truth is we are being over run every week now just as we were when we were scraping results together earlier in the season. Hughes persistence in playing 4-3-3 is costing us dearly. Benji for Stokes today was a farcical substitution, a decision that meant our already overrun midfield was even more overrun as we went to 4-2-4. It was a disgraceful performance by the players but Yogi has to accept some of the blame.

Hughes imho has to accept all the blame! He changed the formation at a time Hibs were not being overly troubled and County were looking jaded. The extra room he created with his substitutions gave them a lift that provided their second wind and subsequent equaliser.

Simkin911
13-03-2010, 07:34 PM
The effin irony is that we're perhaps the poorest team in the SPL for the "target man" tactic yet we continued to launch that ball to the front and give up possession ever bloody time.

We'd be better with Kyle, Nade and Mehmet up front if that's the tactics. So depressing..... and a waste of talent - and my time & money.

Bought my tickets for Tynecastle.... we gotto do better than that today.

Sammy7nil
13-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I realise there are a few pretty bad performances today but Yogi has to put his hands up and say he has ****ed up.

He won't learn and refuses to change tactics.

Our fullbacks get hammered EVERY game, our midfield has no shape!!!

Yogi has to learn as we have murder for over 6 games no with a downright refusal to change.

There were bad performances but today's performance was Yogi's fault!!1:boo hoo:

got to agree :top marks

he has to shoulder the blame watched same pish for weeks and he cant or wont change it

greenlex
13-03-2010, 07:58 PM
We haven't been the same since Maka got dropped. And that is a fact! :)
Or when Rankin is not in the team. we fell to bits when he went off. Lucky still to be the Hat for the semi's.

BS44
13-03-2010, 08:38 PM

Hogg to blame

Manager more culpable.

Broken Gnome
13-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Manager more culpable.

Exactly. It might've been rotten defending, but when you give away the midfield like we do on one hand you give opponents huge gaps to run into and midfielders all the time in the world to play a dangerous ball.

I actually can't get over how ridiculously we were set up when holding a one goal advantage in a cup quarter final.

King Paddy
13-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Yogi IMO has no tactical awareness. This nonsense of 424 is soooooooooo out of date it makes me crings, when i the penny going to drop, when the season's over and we done Hehaw. :grr::grr::grr:

paxtonhibby
13-03-2010, 09:26 PM
I dont generally post much(enjoy the opinions from most of the posters though)but have to say this.............Yogi.WTF are you playing at!Taking off Rankin and going 424.FFS we had the upper hand until that decision.
Take nothing away from Ross County but ths was their cup final and boy did we let them enjoy it.
We have to go to a 442 and if it means dropping Deek or Stokes it must be done.
Rant over from one very pissed off Hibby!!!!

paxtonhibby
13-03-2010, 09:33 PM
Hope Yogis rant in the changing room was an a apology for a totally clueless, tactically, useless display.

selkirkhibee
13-03-2010, 10:00 PM
hi i was at game today and one thing that stuck out for me was stacks distribution,he seems to want forever to put ball up park,and nine times out of ten he punts it forward to the smallest midfield and forward line in the spl?grahame smith however seemed to get ball out quick to wing backs etc and isnae feard to come for a cross.i think second goal stack could have been off his line and got there first.i just wonder if yogi has his favourites and will play them regardless,but i must say since smith has been dropped our level of football has suffered too.benji i am sorry too say is a one trick pony get rid in summer,and ffs play 442 please

selkirkhibee
13-03-2010, 10:11 PM
hi i was at game today and one thing that stuck out for me was stacks distribution,he seems to want forever to put ball up park,and nine times out of ten he punts it forward to the smallest midfield and forward line in the spl?grahame smith however seemed to get ball out quick to wing backs etc and isnae feard to come for a cross.i think second goal stack could have been off his line and got there first.i just wonder if yogi has his favourites and will play them regardless,but i must say since smith has been dropped our level of football has suffered too.benji i am sorry too say is a one trick pony get rid in summer,and ffs play 442 please

silverhibee
13-03-2010, 10:16 PM
Hughes imho has to accept all the blame! He changed the formation at a time Hibs were not being overly troubled and County were looking jaded. The extra room he created with his substitutions gave them a lift that provided their second wind and subsequent equaliser.

:agree: :top marks :agree: