PDA

View Full Version : How do we do it?

Phil D. Rolls
13-03-2010, 04:44 PM
Let's face it you have to be pretty special at *****ing up to have a cup record like ours. For some reason, I can't get this song out of my head:

I hurt myself today
To see if I still feel
I focus on the pain
The only thing that's real
The needle tears a hole
The old familiar sting
Try to kill it all away
But I remember everything

What have I become
My sweetest friend
Everyone I know
goes away
In the end
And you could have it all
My empire of dirt
I will let you down
I will make you hurt

Alfred E Newman
13-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Let's face it you have to be pretty special at *****ing up to have a cup record like ours. For some reason, I can't get this song out of my head:

anyone who wonders how we do it should have been there today to witness that shambles.

TornadoHibby
13-03-2010, 06:09 PM
anyone who wonders how we do it should have been there today to witness that shambles.

:top marks

It was truly unbelieveable but it's been coming for weeks now! :agree:

We simply don't have enough "presence" or "dig" in our team and teams that win trophies don't do so without loads of that particular element to their team profile! :agree:

Effort levels simply don't match those of our opponents and that was seriously evident today! :grr:

Getting beaten by a better team is one thing but losing a lead twice to lower league opposition and then hanging on by our finger nails for a draw and a replay in the premier Cup competition due primarily to effort, desire to win and commitment is unforgiveable IMO! :grr:

EuanH78
13-03-2010, 07:22 PM

:bitchy:
We arent out of the cup yet FR, Maybe part of the problem is that we are all too quick to reach for the razor blades?

Teams that win things tend to dig out wins when they matter and refuse to give up when things don't go their way. Thats more about attitude than ability.

Fans should develop the right attitude too, IMO.

vahibbie
13-03-2010, 07:27 PM

ER's no big enough to hold that many:devil:

therealgavmac
13-03-2010, 07:35 PM

God bless Johnny Cash for such poignant words :agree:

sadtom
13-03-2010, 07:39 PM
God bless Johnny Cash for such poignant words :agree:

He covered it.
Its a nine inch nails song.

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2010, 07:41 PM
He covered it.
Its a nine inch nails song.

So is "I wanna ***** you like an animal".

Says it more for me today. :greengrin

noseyhibby
13-03-2010, 07:55 PM

All due respect I have sweated and toiled, earned and spent hard-earned money to watch Hibs for nearly 50 years. I have earned the right to criticise and dismiss as I have proven my commitment to the club I have chosen to support. The current players have a long way to go to earn my respect and the very least that they can do is show humility and nothing less than 100% commitment to give the supporters what they deserve. Today demonstrated the chasm that exists between supporters expectations and the collective resolve of the playing staff to try it's very best to meet those expectations. These guys should be honoured and humbled that we turn out in numbers to watch them, how dare they approach games against so-called lesser teams in such a casual fashion. They should be honoured enough to be playing for a professional football team, never mind it being Hibernian, and that 100% commitment is a prerequisite and accepted norm. Too many strutting around the ER pitch oblivious or indifferent to what Hibernian means to the great majority of those looking on. Over to you Yogi.

Chris1
13-03-2010, 08:16 PM
I think yogi is the guy to take us forward, but How about if we decided to match up against the opposition in midfield for a change, rather than hope that our natural talent will carry us through. I say get a bit of steel in the centre of the park (bamba, Murray?!). This would at least give our more clinical players a chance to settle the game.

That said I only see 90mins every other week so you have to trust the manager- but he seems unwilling to change the system for some reason.

Diclonius
13-03-2010, 08:28 PM
I can think of far more appropriate Nine Inch Nails lyrics than that.

For example:

Why does it come as a surprise
To think that I was so naive
Maybe didn't mean that much
But it meant everything to me

Resident hibs.net NIN fanatic here, move along. :greengrin

maximushibee
13-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Im Sorry but i am sick of hearing "this has been comming for weeks" rubbish.. its not comming any more its bloody here and it looks to be staying for awhile

We simply don't have enough "presence" or "dig" in our team and teams that win trophies don't do so without loads of that particular element to their team profile! :agree:

Effort levels simply don't match those of our opponents and that was seriously evident today! :grr:

Getting beaten by a better team is one thing but losing a lead twice to lower league opposition and then hanging on by our finger nails for a draw and a replay in the premier Cup competition due primarily to effort, desire to win and commitment is unforgiveable IMO! :grr:

madabouthibs
13-03-2010, 09:07 PM
So, are we a **** team that played well for a while this season, or are we a good team coming through a bad patch?

I noticed today is how bad Spoony was at right back. Surely we have someone else that can take that role? Hughes will ruin the guy playing him at RB. HE'S NOT A RB!!!
When the Early season Liam Miller doesn't turn up, we struggle.
I like Hoggy, he's a good defender, but he's not Captain material, give that role to someone else.
We have some great individual strikers, but no two of them seem to be able to link well together.
Can't believe Benji is trying to bag a new deal playing the way he is. Brought nowt to the table today.

jabis
13-03-2010, 09:25 PM
All due respect I have sweated and toiled, earned and spent hard-earned money to watch Hibs for nearly 50 years. I have earned the right to criticise and dismiss as I have proven my commitment to the club I have chosen to support. The current players have a long way to go to earn my respect and the very least that they can do is show humility and nothing less than 100% commitment to give the supporters what they deserve. Today demonstrated the chasm that exists between supporters expectations and the collective resolve of the playing staff to try it's very best to meet those expectations. These guys should be honoured and humbled that we turn out in numbers to watch them, how dare they approach games against so-called lesser teams in such a casual fashion. They should be honoured enough to be playing for a professional football team, never mind it being Hibernian, and that 100% commitment is a prerequisite and accepted norm. Too many strutting around the ER pitch oblivious or indifferent to what Hibernian means to the great majority of those looking on. Over to you Yogi.

I too,have sweated and toiled.I have fell off 20ft ladders,I have puked up for 4 days solid on a trawler in the North Sea,I have had to throw 20 Sunderland fans out a pub,I have had a 20 ton lorry smash into the back of my car as I was teaching a pupil to drive............................and you know what, I LOVE watching HIBS play.............sometimes get a bit dissapointed,sometimes get a HUGE high.....but FFS GET A GRIP !

I'll stop there.

vahibbie
13-03-2010, 09:30 PM
I too,have sweated and toiled.I have fell off 20ft ladders,I have puked up for 4 days solid on a trawler in the North Sea,I have had to throw 20 Sunderland fans out a pub,I have had a 20 ton lorry smash into the back of my car as I was teaching a pupil to drive............................and you know what, I LOVE watching HIBS play.............sometimes get a bit dissapointed,sometimes get a HUGE high.....but FFS GET A GRIP !

I'll stop there.

You sound really unlucky:wink::devil:

jabis
13-03-2010, 09:31 PM
You sound really unlucky:wink::devil:

I support Hibs FFS !

:greengrin

Crab apple
14-03-2010, 12:00 AM
So, are we a **** team that played well for a while this season, or are we a good team coming through a bad patch?

I noticed today is how bad Spoony was at right back. Surely we have someone else that can take that role? Hughes will ruin the guy playing him at RB. HE'S NOT A RB!!!
I like Hoggy, he's a good defender, but he's not Captain material, give that role to someone else.
We have some great individual strikers, but no two of them seem to be able to link well together.
Can't believe Benji is trying to bag a new deal playing the way he is. Brought nowt to the table today.

Agree with all your observations and would add on the positive side that Hanlon is improving in the CB role. On the negative side I'd add that Stokes was way below his standards of recent weeks.

And to answer your question I'd say we are an improved team (from last year) going through a bad patch; failing to really gel as a unit; and suffering from a dip in confidence.

YetholmHibee
14-03-2010, 12:36 AM

It's been happening for weeks!! If not all season.

Are the happy clappers starting to waken up!

Next you will be saying 'we would not have lost if Bamba played' . .

YetholmHibee
14-03-2010, 12:38 AM

:top marks :agree:

monktonharp
14-03-2010, 12:43 AM
Agree with all your observations and would add on the positive side that Hanlon is improving in the CB role. On the negative side I'd add that Stokes was way below his standards of recent weeks.

And to answer your question I'd say we are an improved team (from last year) going through a bad patch; failing to really gel as a unit; and suffering from a dip in confidence.I agree with you agreeing (is that a word?)especially about wee spoony. it was obvious after 10 mins that he was having a tough time,and he is defo not a RB. we need to bolster the midfield pronto,and the only 2 hard bassas we have,are blatantly obvious,and the same with our best 2 front men,so c'mon Yogi,get a ***** grip before the fans turn on ye.

TornadoHibby
14-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Im Sorry but i am sick of hearing "this has been comming for weeks" rubbish.. its not comming any more its bloody here and it looks to be staying for awhile

What particularly is it that is apparently annoying you big guy! :cool2: :hmmm: :dunno:

An Leargaidh
14-03-2010, 11:19 AM
...For some reason, I can't get this song out of my head:

That's strange. I was thinking of NIN too, but the song I had in my head was "Downward Spiral" :dead:

Phil D. Rolls
14-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Yeah, but we've been *****ing up in the Scottish Cup for 108 years. We keep getting it handed to us on a plate, and we still manage to come up with new ways to blow it.

We arent out of the cup yet FR, Maybe part of the problem is that we are all too quick to reach for the razor blades?

Teams that win things tend to dig out wins when they matter and refuse to give up when things don't go their way. Thats more about attitude than ability.

I think we are all caught in the cup hoodoo, the older you get the less you believe it will ever happen and the sorer it gets when you are proved right.

steakbake
14-03-2010, 12:36 PM

Absolutely right.

Hibs fans are shocking at times. Think I said it ages ago but I took a Utd supporting mate to a Hibs match and he couldn't believe the abuse the team were getting from the stands - and we were winning at the time.

County came and had a really good go at us yesterday and were unlucky not to have won in the end. Equally, if we'd nailed our chances, we could have been 3-4 to the good by half time. Had Hogg been switched on for County's second goal, we'd all be getting excited about the draw tomorrow.

The fans just need to chill the fk out. It is exactly the same team, manager and similar tactics we were getting excited about at the start of the season.

proud_and_green
14-03-2010, 12:47 PM

Were you at the game yesterday?

If you were you will surely have seen a team that could not be bothered digiging anything out of anywhere. To dig and grind out results, you have to work hard for 90 minutes that is the secret.

We are lucky if this team works for 30 out of 90 minutes.

I pa my money and after yesterday feel cheated, and wonder if i should ask Trading Standards to investigate mis-sold goods when i bought my SEason Ticket, it was supposed to be for football.

EuanH78
14-03-2010, 02:42 PM

I agree that the players should be honoured to play for Hibs, I know I would be (If only I had any talent as a footballer alas,:greengrin ) You've paid your dues, no doubting that and it's your right to do whatever you wish. My point is that if I want to support and encourage someone in something and they stumble doing it, its not helpful to just go 'well thats that *****ed then, again'

Yeah, but we've been *****ing up in the Scottish Cup for 108 years. We keep getting it handed to us on a plate, and we still manage to come up with new ways to blow it.

I think we are all caught in the cup hoodoo, the older you get the less you believe it will ever happen and the sorer it gets when you are proved right.

I agree the SC is a lodestone we could all do with shedding, the fact remains that it is not over yet. You may, in the full course of time be proved right, as it is though, there is still 90 minutes of football still to be played at least.

Lets not be beaten before Nade sings ok?

Were you at the game yesterday?

If you were you will surely have seen a team that could not be bothered digiging anything out of anywhere. To dig and grind out results, you have to work hard for 90 minutes that is the secret.

We are lucky if this team works for 30 out of 90 minutes.

I pa my money and after yesterday feel cheated, and wonder if i should ask Trading Standards to investigate mis-sold goods when i bought my SEason Ticket, it was supposed to be for football.

I have a ST but wasn't at the game yesterday I'll admit. I have noticed a dip in form recently though and the change of attitude that it seems to bring. It wasn't that long ago that this exact same team were playing right to the final whistle, all those late goals to win or draw games we might have drawn or lost before respectively.

Genuine question about attitude though. I doubt that anyone will be able to give me a definitive answer.

Do you think that the fans take their lead from the team on the pitch, or is it the other way round, or neither or is it a bit of both?

We've all seen it happen in games where a team under the hammer gets lifted by an individual piece of brilliance, a penalty save, bit of free kick magic, Nid tackle, whatever... A wee spark is all it takes sometimes.

That spark can come from the fans, and as our own attitude is the only thing we actually have direct control over I would think it pertinent (if we ever want to go on and win the Scottish Cup) that we do everything we can to make sure its in the right place to provide that spark.

I honestly find it hard to believe that people are writing this cup competition off before the replay has even been announced. How can they criticize the players when they have already conceded defeat themselves?

Part/Time Supporter
14-03-2010, 02:55 PM
I don't think the fans (like the team) were that bad (not great - but not awful) until the second equaliser, and (like the team) completely lost it after that.

I think there was more noise made than there would be for a league game (by a smaller crowd). The few times that Hibs players made good efforts the crowd were very appreciative. (eg Nish got a great reception for manufacturing and just missing that half chance)

The problems were a general lack of application and then the capitulation instigated by Ross County's second goal. After that it became apparent that no ****er had any clue what was going on. This included Yogi apparently going on a sulk in the dugout, instead of coming up with some idea of how to turn the game around.

IWasThere2016
14-03-2010, 04:01 PM
The problems were a general lack of application and then the capitulation instigated by Ross County's second goal. After that it became apparent that no ****er had any clue what was going on. This included Yogi apparently going on a sulk in the dugout, instead of coming up with some idea of how to turn the game around.

I don't believe he has any tbh! Slating players about not seeing the game and he makes subs which contribute nothing to this. Time for a 4-4-2 to stop the goals against and take it from there.

seanraff07
14-03-2010, 05:06 PM
I don't believe he has any tbh! Slating players about not seeing the game and he makes subs which contribute nothing to this. Time for a 4-4-2 to stop the goals against and take it from there.

I'd say 4-4-2..

Smith

Defence: Wotherspoon, Hogg, Hanlon, Murray

Midfield: Zemmama, Miller, Bamba, Galbraith

Forwards: Stokes, Riordan

Subs: Stack, Thicot, Stevenson, Rankin, McBride, Nish, Benji

matty_f
14-03-2010, 05:31 PM

Good point - I noted today whilst listening to Kris Boyd's interview after the Huns' game, that when asked if he was disappointed not to have won he said something along the lines of "Yep, of course, we'll just need to go to Tannadice and rectify it."

That's exactly what our players should be thinking. We didn't have the performance or the result we wanted, but we ARE still in the cup, and we have the opportunity to put things right in the replay.

Spike Mandela
14-03-2010, 06:00 PM
Good point - I noted today whilst listening to Kris Boyd's interview after the Huns' game, that when asked if he was disappointed not to have won he said something along the lines of "Yep, of course, we'll just need to go to Tannadice and rectify it."

That's exactly what our players should be thinking. We didn't have the performance or the result we wanted, but we ARE still in the cup, and we have the opportunity to put things right in the replay.

Yip, but Rangers have a habit of doing just that. Our last midweek venture up North to play a big, physical side saw us horsed 5-1:grr:

matty_f
14-03-2010, 06:14 PM
Yip, but Rangers have a habit of doing just that. Our last midweek venture up North to play a big, physical side saw us horsed 5-1:grr:

Well, now we have a chance to rectify that.:greengrin