PDA

View Full Version : Another minutes' applause...

magpie1892
13-03-2010, 02:05 PM
That's about 40% of the 45-odd games I have been to this season with a minutes' applause or silence.

It's getting out of hand now. Should we just have it before every game now? Someone somewhere with a tenuous connection to either playing club will have died, no?

Done to death. No pun intended.

WindyMiller
13-03-2010, 02:07 PM
:foot:

Perhaps you should have had a minutes quiet reflection.

magpie1892
13-03-2010, 02:17 PM
:foot:

Perhaps you should have had a minutes quiet reflection.

I get that every day.

AgentDaleCooper
13-03-2010, 02:40 PM
That's about 40% of the 45-odd games I have been to this season with a minutes' applause or silence.

It's getting out of hand now. Should we just have it before every game now? Someone somewhere with a tenuous connection to either playing club will have died, no?

this might not be popular, but i know what you mean - just about half the games you see the players are wearing black arm-bands. i literally think that they wear them more often than they don't (could be very wrong there, but it seems like it), which takes the meaning out of it really.

J-C
13-03-2010, 03:05 PM

Better this than some numpties spoiling the silence .

Part/Time Supporter
13-03-2010, 04:20 PM

You are kidding, right?

A former manager of the club dies and that shouldn't be marked???

:rolleyes:

magpie1892
13-03-2010, 04:21 PM
Better this than some numpties spoiling the silence .

Oh, it's 'better' than the silence in terms of 'less wreckable' but it's becoming totally unecessary, the frequency of this... Literally every other week now.

PC Stamp
13-03-2010, 04:46 PM
Oh, it's 'better' than the silence in terms of 'less wreckable' but it's becoming totally unecessary, the frequency of this... Literally every other week now.

I'm sure everyone would prefer NOT to have to do it but then you can't actually predict when your or anyone else's time on earth is up eh! :rolleyes:

I'm sure we'd all rather that such as Alan Gordon, Bobby Smith & Willie MacFarlane were all still with us and there had been no need for applause.

Phil D. Rolls
13-03-2010, 04:46 PM
You are kidding, right?

A former manager of the club dies and that shouldn't be marked???

:rolleyes:

Some are more deserving than others. I think the number of tributes we have is devaluing the whole thing.

Just waiting for someone to propose the new stand being named after Willie McFarlane (RIP).

Beefster
13-03-2010, 04:55 PM
Folk are asked to give one minute's respect to ex-players or managers and still some are moaning......

How about we introduce a points system?

1 for each game played
1 for each game managed
10 for winning POTY or MOTY
100 for winning a non-SC trophy
200 for winning the SC or being Stanton/Reilly/Sauzee/Turnbull

Anyone over 200 points gets some applause.

Will that make everyone happy?

CropleyWasGod
13-03-2010, 05:04 PM

If it's that big a deal, wait until it's over and then go in.

Phil D. Rolls
13-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Folk are asked to give one minute's respect to ex-players or managers and still some are moaning......

How about we introduce a points system?

1 for each game played
1 for each game managed
10 for winning POTY or MOTY
100 for winning a non-SC trophy
200 for winning the SC or being Stanton/Reilly/Sauzee/Turnbull

Anyone over 200 points gets some applause.

Will that make everyone happy?

If it's an alternative to devaluing the meaning of the tribute the it's a start. Our flag is at half mast more often than some bowling clubs.

Let's get death back into perspective. Tragic as it is for the person's family, it is a fact of life, and I think we are making too much out of it.

NOLA
13-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Some are more deserving than others. I think the number of tributes we have is devaluing the whole thing.

Just waiting for someone to propose the new stand being named after Willie McFarlane (RIP).

When in the distant future bobby williamson passes on will there be a minutes silence/applause?

greenlex
13-03-2010, 09:25 PM
If it's an alternative to devaluing the meaning of the tribute the it's a start. Our flag is at half mast more often than some bowling clubs.

Let's get death back into perspective. Tragic as it is for the person's family, it is a fact of life, and I think we are making too much out of it.
The last three deaths were all very much part of the Hibernian Family. Like its been said if you are tired of it or feel its devalued then dont do it. Wait till after its done before taking your seat. You could always catch some TV in the vomiteries.

ps. not particularly aimed at you personally Mr Rolls.

BS44
13-03-2010, 09:26 PM
When in the distant future bobby williamson passes on will there be a minutes silence/applause?

Why not?

Mag7
14-03-2010, 12:24 AM

That post is actually quite offensive to those who have good memories of Wille McFarlane as a player and manager for Hibs. Nothing tenuous about his connection to the club if you know much about Hibs' history.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 01:10 AM
That post is actually quite offensive to those who have good memories of Wille McFarlane as a player and manager for Hibs. Nothing tenuous about his connection to the club if you know much about Hibs' history.

I wasn't suggesting McFarlane's connection was tenuous per se. What I'm really seeking is some sort of explanation as to why 20 years ago, minutes' silences were a once-or-twice a season affair. Now they are every other week. I find that tiresome and I'm not alone by a long chalk.

People did die 20 years ago, yeah? It's not just a recent thing?

Jamesie
14-03-2010, 02:05 AM
I wasn't suggesting McFarlane's connection was tenuous per se. What I'm really seeking is some sort of explanation as to why 20 years ago, minutes' silences were a once-or-twice a season affair. Now they are every other week. I find that tiresome and I'm not alone by a long chalk.

People did die 20 years ago, yeah? It's not just a recent thing?

I don't think we've seen as may Hibs greats depart us in such a short period for a long time, if ever. Each and every one of them are deserving of a show of our respect. I just wish we had a minutes silence, rather than applause.

Jamesie
14-03-2010, 02:06 AM

:top marks

AgentDaleCooper
14-03-2010, 03:44 AM
I don't think we've seen as may Hibs greats depart us in such a short period for a long time, if ever. Each and every one of them are deserving of a show of our respect. I just wish we had a minutes silence, rather than applause.

was thinking that actually, the frequency is probably because surviving members of great teams of the past are getting on a bit. they all merit some kind of showing of respect.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:38 AM

A wee bit below full marks, as I didn't actually say that in my post but don't let the facts get in the way, etc.!

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 10:20 AM

It must have irked you immensely to have taken the time to post this 5 minutes into the game.

I'm assuming you were at the game?

Phil D. Rolls
14-03-2010, 10:51 AM
The last three deaths were all very much part of the Hibernian Family. Like its been said if you are tired of it or feel its devalued then dont do it. Wait till after its done before taking your seat. You could always catch some TV in the vomiteries.

ps. not particularly aimed at you personally Mr Rolls.

No offence taken.:thumbsup:

was thinking that actually, the frequency is probably because surviving members of great teams of the past are getting on a bit. they all merit some kind of showing of respect.

Why don't we have one game a season - maybe the last - where all the people we have lost get a tribute. That way, no one is forgotten, and it has some meaning.

Trbutes are becoming as common as buying a pie, or a programme these days. We are a football club, not a funeral parlour.

KWJ
14-03-2010, 11:02 AM
It's very messy ground and not the sort I'd want the club to take a stand on.

I understand what you're saying but if the club did something like that and then say, god forbid, we had say a Phil O'Donnell situation then we couldn't simply put it back with all the others.

Just leave it be.

seanraff07
14-03-2010, 05:51 PM
I think their should be less, it's getting to the stage where they do it for people that just support the club, it's going to be less special when someone that really did have a connection with the club is given a minutes silence for.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2010, 05:55 PM
I think their should be less, it's getting to the stage where they do it for people that just support the club, it's going to be less special when someone that really did have a connection with the club is given a minutes silence for.

Like, say, someone who played for our greatest ever team, and then went on to manage us?

Think that would work....

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 06:19 PM
Like, say, someone who played for our greatest ever team, and then went on to manage us?

Think that would work....

Yes, exactly like that.

I was at a UEFA Cup Game in Belgium earler this season and there was a minutes' silence before the game because a former president of UEFA had died. The silence was well observed but the atmosphere in the main stand (and, one assumes, elswhere in the ground) was: 'who?'

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Yes, exactly like that.

'

So Willie MacFarlane's ok then?

Cool.

hibbymac
14-03-2010, 06:26 PM

:confused: when?

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 06:34 PM
So Willie MacFarlane's ok then?

Cool.

Is MacFarlane 'ok'? I don't know - maybe ask someone who saw him play? It's not really relevant to the overall argument which is...

That what has been asked several times now, without any sort of enlightening response forthcoming, is why such an appreciable percentage of games nowadays (c.40% for me this season at about 15 separate venues) have commemorations beforehand compared to even five years ago. Do let me know if you can shed any light on this.

Perhaps I've just been 'timing my runs' incorrectly but I do have to say how overjoyed I was to be in Bruges the night it was expected of me to observe a minutes' silence for some unknown pen-pusher at an outfit as corrupt and avaricious as UEFA. What an honour for me to be present at such a commemoration. Made my season, that did.

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2010, 06:42 PM
Is MacFarlane 'ok'? I don't know - maybe ask someone who saw him play? It's not really relevant to the overall argument which is...

That what has been asked several times now, without any sort of enlightening response forthcoming, is why such an appreciable percentage of games nowadays (c.40% for me this season at about 15 separate venues) have commemorations beforehand compared to even five years eago. Do let me know if you can shed any light on this.

Actually, it is relevant to the overall argument. Someone who served the club well, as a player and manager is, by your own admission, entitled to be shown the respect he was yesterday.

I can't speak for any situation other than the Hibs' experience. Every one this season has, IMO, been fully justified.

As for comparing it with previous eras, perhaps we are more open as a society in demonstrating our respect and fond memories. Nothing wrong with that, in my book.

marinello59
14-03-2010, 06:43 PM

That what has been asked several times now, without any sort of enlightening response forthcoming, is why such an appreciable percentage of games nowadays (c.40% for me this season at about 15 separate venues) have commemorations beforehand compared to even five years ago. Do let me know if you can shed any light on this.

Maybe clubs are just better at keeping in touch with former players etc these days and therefore more able to recognise their passing with a show of respect from their footballing "family"? :dunno:

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 06:45 PM

Perhaps I've just been 'timing my runs' incorrectly but I do have to say how overjoyed I was to be in Bruges the night it was expected of me to observe a minutes' silence for some unknown pen-pusher at an outfit as corrupt and avaricious as UEFA. What an honour for me to be present at such a commemoration. Made my season, that did.

name the games and I will answer your question

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2010, 06:56 PM

One would hope so.

Spike Mandela
14-03-2010, 07:11 PM

Jeezo, there was far worse things to get upset about yesterday than that surely:confused:

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 07:12 PM

I must have missed that one :dunno: Can you refresh my memory?

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:12 PM
Maybe clubs are just better at keeping in touch with former players etc these days and therefore more able to recognise their passing with a show of respect from their footballing "family"? :dunno:

I suspect it's not quite that simple. I think it's a sort of creepiing 'Dianification' of society where we're obliged to join in with the mass grief and a failure to show sufficient enthusiasm meets with disapproval or, as evidenced in 1997, violence for washing your car on the day of the mawkish funeral of a conceited airhead slut.

heretoday
14-03-2010, 07:13 PM
I think it's ok for Willie McF. I remember the fun we had watching Hibs at that time.

I know what you mean though. It's happening much more now as the media has decided it's healthy for us (and them) to air our "grief" in public - even for people we didn't think about at all and whose name won't enter our thoughts ever again.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:15 PM

As you can probably tell, I'm trying to erase them from memory and, in the majority of cases, I had no idea who the people being commemorated were but if memory serves:

3 x Easter Road
3 x Tynecastle
Jan Breydal Stadion
St James' Park x2
Ibrox
Celtic Park
Falkirk Stadium
Glanford Park
Emirates Stadium
White Hart Lane

And others I am happy to forget.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:16 PM
I think it's ok for Willie McF. I remember the fun we had watching Hibs at that time.

I know what you mean though. It's happening much more now as the media has decided it's healthy for us (and them) to air our "grief" in public - even for people we didn't think about at all and whose name won't enter our thoughts ever again.

Very nicely put.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 07:17 PM
One would hope so.

Easter Road would sound eerily similar to when we had to sit through many of his games. Silence would be fitting!:greengrin

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 07:20 PM
I suspect it's not quite that simple. I think it's a sort of creepiing 'Dianification' of society where we're obliged to join in with the mass grief and a failure to show sufficient enthusiasm meets with disapproval or, as evidenced in 1997, violence for washing your car on the day of the mawkish funeral of a conceited airhead slut.

It's neither mass grief nor "Dianification" (whatever that represents) - It's simply your club asking you to respect, for just one measly minute, the life of someone lost to us.

I'm guessing that's too much to ask of you and therefore says more about you than the majority of fans who don't mind the "minute".

I love the irony of you referring to Diana as conceited :rolleyes:

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Jeezo, there was far worse things to get upset about yesterday than that surely:confused:

Not when I posted (about four minutes in?)

marinello59
14-03-2010, 07:24 PM

Showing respect for former club stalwarts as we have done over the last few weeks is hardly indulging in mass 'Diana' style displays of grief. Given the part that these guys played in our history a minutes applause isn't too much is it? I struggle to see how it causes you to post with so much vitriol.

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 07:27 PM
As you can probably tell, I'm trying to erase them from memory and, in the majority of cases, I had no idea who the people being commemorated were but if memory serves:

3 x Easter Road
3 x Tynecastle
Jan Breydal Stadion
St James' Park x2
Ibrox
Celtic Park
Falkirk Stadium
Glanford Park
Emirates Stadium
White Hart Lane

And others I am happy to forget.

they are not games - they are grounds

matty_f
14-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Showing respect for former club stalwarts as we have done over the last few weeks is hardly indulging in mass 'Diana' style displays of grief. Given the part that these guys played in our history a minutes applause isn't too much is it? I struggle to see how it causes you to post with so much vitriol.

:agree:

I have to say there's been an unusually high number of gestures to remember people this season, but I don't see what can be (or should be) done about it - it's just unfortunate timing.

Can you imagine the club saying they weren't going to remember someone because they'd used their quota for the season!

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:30 PM
It's neither mass grief nor "Dianification" (whatever that represents) - It's simply your club asking you to respect, for just one measly minute, the life of someone lost to us.

I'm guessing that's too much to ask of you and therefore says more about you than the majority of fans who don't mind the "minute".

I love the irony of you referring to Diana as conceited :rolleyes:

The irony is lost on me, sorry.

I'm quite happy to accept I am in a minority - but, judging by the posts on this thread - not such a tiny one, eh? Furthermore, I am not railing about Hibs in particular, but the sheer volume of commemorations now coming at us.

The increase in vloume of commemorations in the time I have been going to football and the growing disatisfaction (it's mentioned here, even though I dared to rail against this Dianification (not my word) on the day of the commemoration of a Hibs legend) with this is only devaluing the whole process for all concerned. It's really not a question of standing up and applauding for a minute and it's disingenuous of you to suggest that it's 'too much to ask'...

We'll agree to differ, but I think this will be discussed again at some point soon.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:33 PM

I have to say there's been an unusually high number of gestures to remember people this season, but I don't see what can be (or should be) done about it - it's just unfortunate timing.

Can you imagine the club saying they weren't going to remember someone because they'd used their quota for the season!

Easier solution would be to open the ground up of a weekday and have a wee shrine to the departed where people can come and pay their own respects, in their own time and for an amount of time they consider appropriate. Any shirts/scarves placed there could, in time, be sent to far-off lands in furtherance of charity. More productive and more charitable than clapping for a minute.

Sorry is this suggestion is too awash with 'vitriol' (!) to be taken seriously...

CropleyWasGod
14-03-2010, 07:36 PM

Aye, like the guy in front of me that was posting on Hibs.NET five minutes into the game....

:greengrin

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 07:37 PM
Easier solution would be to open the ground up of a weekday and have a wee shrine to the departed where people can come and pay their own respects, in their own time and for an amount of time they consider appropriate. Any shirts/scarves placed there could, in time, be sent to far-off lands in furtherance of charity. More productive and more charitable than clapping for a minute.

Sorry is this suggestion is too awash with 'vitriol' (!) to be taken seriously...

No it's just conceited :wink:

I've got a better suggestion - how about the next time a former Hibs player +/or manager dies, you just turn up after the minutes applause

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:39 PM
No it's just conceited :wink:

I've got a better suggestion - how about the next time a former Hibs player +/or manager dies, you just turn up after the minutes applause

A good suggestion, but I'm obliged to be in my seat before kick-off.

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I don't know why the boy's getting such a hard time here - he's a journalist so is at a lot of games, has to be there before kick off so he can do his job and is wondering why we (football teams) are doing so many silence/applause before matches.

I agree with him TBH. Why don't we just do one per year (New year's Derby or something) for all those that died in the last year. In a few years time when we've gained a few more ex-players there could be a silence/applause before every match.

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 07:52 PM
I don't know why the boy's getting such a hard time here - he's a journalist so is at a lot of games, has to be there before kick off so he can do his job and is wondering why we (football teams) are doing so many silence/applause before matches.

I agree with him TBH. Why don't we just do one per year (New year's Derby or something) for all those that died in the last year. In a few years time when we've gained a few more ex-players there could be a silence/applause before every match.

so why wont he say what games he was at?

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:53 PM

Finally, someone who really 'gets it'. That I am a journalist is neither here nor there when (although I have been watching Hibs for about 20 years, the majority as a fan) one considers that I am seeing this at grounds all over Europe including the ridiculous example in Belgium for some UEFA crook.

Perhaps I am a little 'scarred' by the fact that in Sep. 1997 I was due to be at Anfield to see Liverpool v. Newcastle but the game was postoponed because Diana's driver had been on the piss. I know she liked her hole from Rugby players but had no idea she was a loss to football.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 07:56 PM

I watch a lot of football and don't actually note "minutes' applause - yes/no" on each occasion. Remiss of me, I know. I must do better.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Finally, someone who really 'gets it'. That I am a journalist is neither here nor there when (although I have been watching Hibs for about 20 years, the majority as a fan) one considers that I am seeing this at grounds all over Europe including the ridiculous example in Belgium for some UEFA crook.

Perhaps I am a little 'scarred' by the fact that in Sep. 1997 I was due to be at Anfield to see Liverpool v. Newcastle but the game was postoponed because Diana's driver had been on the piss. I know she liked her hole from Rugby players but had no idea she was a loss to football.

:hilarious:

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 07:57 PM

if you can recall games from the 90s why do you refuse to tell us what games you have been at this season

Beefster
14-03-2010, 07:57 PM

She wasn't my cup of tea either but you've got no class whatsoever.

marinello59
14-03-2010, 07:58 PM

Scarred by a postponed football match? I thought you journalist chappies had a good sense of perspective?

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 08:01 PM
I watch a lot of football and don't actually note "minutes' applause - yes/no" on each occasion. Remiss of me, I know. I must do better.

not asking that.
you listed the grounds you have been at this season but you wont say the games
thats ok but you moaned about not getting your question answered

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2010, 08:01 PM

What difference would it make? Are you going to do a check or something?

:hilarious

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:04 PM
if you can recall games from the 90s why do you refuse to tell us what games you have been at this season

Not remembering is hardly a refusal. Like I say, I watch a lot of football (usually c.80 games a season or so). Been at ER and Tynecastle about 15 times each if that helps and had six commemorations - that's about a 20% 'hit rate'. I've obviously been unlucky elsewhere to raise that percentage.

I remember the game in 1997 because I was well out of pocket for no good reason.

Spike Mandela
14-03-2010, 08:05 PM
The clubs should choose who and when this mark of respect should be bestowed .

Rather that than let the OF obsessed media and self important journalists (just listen to paper talk on BBC Scotland) tell us who deseves it!

Luna_Asylum
What difference would it make? Are you going to do a check or something?

:hilarious

it would seem this thread has sailed somewhat above you head but crack on anyhow for everyones entertainment

magpie1892
Scarred by a postponed football match? I thought you journalist chappies had a good sense of perspective?

This was in my 'pre-journo' days. (Well, before I started making a living having no class) :wink:

marinello59
14-03-2010, 08:06 PM
This was in my 'pre-journo' days. (Well, before I started making a living having no class) :wink:

Ach, we love Journos really. :greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2010, 08:06 PM
it would seem this thread has sailed somewhat above you head but crack on anyhow for everyones entertainment

Has it? Can you exaplin to me how it matters what the games were?

Peevemor
14-03-2010, 08:07 PM
I've posted before on a similar thread that I reckon there should be an all encapsulating minutes silence before each new year (or whatever date it's played) derby. This would give supporters of both clubs the opportunity to acknowledge all those who have passed away during the previous year, be it former players, managers, supporters, friends, family - whatever.

There would be no risk of it being deliberately ruined by bams and it would also end any suggestion of provocation and/or entrapment.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:08 PM
The clubs should choose who and when this mark of respect should be bestowed .

Rather that than let the OF obsessed media and self important journalists (just listen to paper talk on BBC Scotland) tell us who deseves it!

The clubs do decide, in the main. Being a bit more 'selective' now is going to prevent the situation from escalating to applause every week - totally diluting the sentiment - and this is where we are headed, IMHO.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Has it? Can you exaplin to me how it matters what the games were?

I'd like to know that also. I'm not sure how it is relevant. I suppose I could look them all up if Luna wants to make a token payment to charity for my efforts, but I'm sure that isn't necessary.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I've posted before on a similar thread that I reckon there should be an all encapsulating minutes silence before each new year (or whatever date it's played) derby. This would give supporters of both clubs the opportunity to acknowledge all those who have passed away during the previous year, be it former players, managers, supporters, friends, family - whatever.

There would be no risk of it being deliberately ruined by bams and it would also end any suggestion of provocation and/or entrapment.

Another worthwhile and sensible suggestion.

The penny still needs to drop with a few on here, but, in time, it should do.

matty_f
14-03-2010, 08:12 PM
I'd like to know that also. I'm not sure how it is relevant. I suppose I could look them all up if Luna wants to make a token payment to charity for my efforts, but I'm sure that isn't necessary.

IIRC, Luna was going to explain what the applauses/silences were for, thus saving you the effort of looking them up yourself.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:12 PM

I'm touched. :wink:

Spike Mandela
14-03-2010, 08:13 PM

Like the bit at the Oscars when they show clips of all from the industry that have passed that year!

Would be good if we had screens that could show this sort of thing. Now what could we fill those corners with at the new stand.............:hmmm:

LeithWalkHibby
14-03-2010, 08:14 PM

LeithWalkHibby
14-03-2010, 08:14 PM

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:15 PM
IIRC, Luna was going to explain what the applauses/silences were for, thus saving you the effort of looking them up yourself.

I do hope so. I'm too distracted by having people agree with my 'classless' and 'vitriolic' standpoint.

Spike Mandela
14-03-2010, 08:16 PM

I take it you don't write for the Daily Mail:faf:

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:17 PM
I take it you don't write for the Daily Mail:faf:

That's the Express you're thinking of...

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 08:19 PM
Another worthwhile and sensible suggestion.

The penny still needs to drop with a few on here, but, in time, it should do.

Condescending as well as conceited - you're in the right job

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 08:19 PM

?

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Condescending as well as conceited - you're in the right job

If you can't take it, don't dish it out..!

Aubenas
14-03-2010, 08:22 PM
Seems unfortunate that this thread seems to have been occasioned by Willie McFarlane's death - as a player and manager you couldn't deny he was of significance to Hibs and you can't really legislate for three club figures passing away in short order. A minute of silence or applause isn't really much to ask. I'm not so sure about figures only vaguely connected to football mind you.

Spike Mandela
14-03-2010, 08:23 PM
That's the Express you're thinking of...

So you do write for The Mail..........:greengrin

matty_f
14-03-2010, 08:23 PM

?

I would have thought that in order to effectively answer his questions given your need to have the games listed, you'd be explaining the reason why there was a silence or applause at the listed games, thereby revealing the reason such a high percentage of commemorations had taken place.

That was my take on it, anyway.

marinello59
14-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm touched. :wink:

And that's something I can agree with.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:28 PM
And that's something I can agree with.

Don't forget classless, vitriolic, conceited and condescending.

I mean, how very dare I express an (evidently) commonly-held opinion?

marinello59
14-03-2010, 08:31 PM

Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, it's what makes this place tick Some of your posts a do appear vitriolic in my opinion.........Ok if I express that?:wink:

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 08:31 PM
I would have thought that in order to effectively answer his questions given your need to have the games listed, you'd be explaining the reason why there was a silence or applause at the listed games, thereby revealing the reason such a high percentage of commemorations had taken place.

That was my take on it, anyway.

think what you want..

I said i would answer his question that he was moaning about not getting answered if he told me what games he was at.

he has so far elected not to do so

lapsedhibee
14-03-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm with the classless, vitriolic, conceited and condescending hobo.

Gordon/Smith/McFarlane all have very strong cases to be publicly remembered. But as the turnover of players and managers is far, far higher now than it ever was before, there really will be a minute's something at every game in a few decades, unless a different approach is adopted.

Airhead sluts and people who drive around in [insert job description here]mobiles should defo not be commemorated at the fitba.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, it's what makes this place tick Some of your posts a do appear vitriolic in my opinion.........Ok if I express that?:wink:

I don't think I'm being vitriolic but can accept that it's certainly a possibility - albeit most definitely unintentional. It does strike me as odd though that there are a good number of posters in this thread who agree with me - at least in principle - yet the response of many who disagree has been, IMHO, far more vitriolic. Someone mentioned irony a while back as well..!

Reading between the lines, there is also the suggestion that I am trying to get a reaction, and that's well wide of the mark.

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Out of interest (because I genuinely don't keep a record), when was the last time we held a minutes applause/silence that was for a non-Hibs related passing?

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 08:41 PM
I don't think I'm being vitriolic but can accept that it's certainly a possibility - albeit most definitely unintentional. It does strike me as odd though that there are a good number of posters in this thread who agree with me - at least in principle - yet the response of many who disagree has been, IMHO, far more vitriolic. Someone mentioned irony a while back as well..!

Reading between the lines, there is also the suggestion that I am trying to get a reaction, and that's well wide of the mark.

attention seeker

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2010, 08:42 PM
Out of interest (because I genuinely don't keep a record), when was the last time we held a minutes applause/silence that was for a non-Hibs related passing?

Pope? Or do you mean at ER?

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:42 PM
he has so far elected not to do so

That's just not so. I said I couldn't remember. I'm also saying (seconding, in fact) that it's not really relevant. But if you can make a good case as to why there needed to be a commemoration (so consumed I was by vitriol, I can't remember if it was silence or applause) at a UEFA Cup game because a UEFA admin had kicked it then you'll definitely be onto something...

Impress me.

marinello59
14-03-2010, 08:45 PM

I refer to your remarks about Diana.........pretty caustic shall we say. I found the whole Diana thing totally bonkers but I don't think a minutes applause before a game is that big a deal.
You obviously feel strongly about this, at least we can have fun disagreeing.:greengrin

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:46 PM

There's been a few I think. Definitely Davie Cooper.

Maybe 9/11? Phil O'Donnell?

lapsedhibee
14-03-2010, 08:49 PM

Don't know the answer to that (perhaps we never have), but I vividly remember Sally McMoist coming on the radio around the day of the Diana funeral and explaining why he couldn't possibly play for his team that day (which was Scotland) because it would be "wrong". The international fixture was postponed, I think. FFS - what other jobs were allowed to down tools because someone was being buried? Nothing whatsoever to do with fitba - if the hun players had special reasons for wanting the day off (eg to cowtow to the moronic hun royalist hordes) they should have called off as conscientious objectors and other players should have taken their places. Absolute farce to call the whole game off.

Jonnyboy
14-03-2010, 08:54 PM

Not really. A few folk on a football messageboard agree with you, sort of. Others don't and that's life I guess.

FWIW I don't find such occasions to be desensitising (sp?) as when they occur I do think of the person to whom they relate.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I refer to your remarks about Diana.........pretty caustic shall we say. I found the whole Diana thing totally bonkers but I don't think a minutes applause before a game is that big a deal.
You obviously feel strongly about this, at least we can have fun disagreeing.:greengrin

OK, I have a bee in my bonnet about Diana for personal reasons. It was impolite of me to let that spill over into what I hope is a point worthy of discussion and for that I apologise.

I totally agree that a minutes' applause before the game is not a 'big deal'. I think it is wholly appropriate to remember the dead with an appropriate level of respect. That, however, is not my point.

I feel very strongly that the whole concept of respect for the dead is being abused by the frequency of these commemorations, to the extent that with each passing week, it means less and less. The way we are going, as others on here have posited, is that we'll be getting these commemorations every week before too long. Then it will mean nothing. I mean, the fact that we have to have applause rather than (infinitely more moving) silence speaks (irony again) volumes.

It's time to at least look at ways of doing a better job with this and there are plenty of possibilities. It's just lazy/ignorant to suggest (no, not you) that my problem with 'applause overload' is because I can't be bothered to stnad and clap for a minute. It's a weak position, to put it mildly.

bawheid
14-03-2010, 08:55 PM
Don't know the answer to that (perhaps we never have), but I vividly remember Sally McMoist coming on the radio around the day of the Diana funeral and explaining why he couldn't possibly play for his team that day (which was Scotland) because it would be "wrong". The international fixture was postponed, I think. FFS - what other jobs were allowed to down tools because someone was being buried? Nothing whatsoever to do with fitba - if the hun players had special reasons for wanting the day off (eg to cowtow to the moronic hun royalist hordes) they should have called off as conscientious objectors and other players should have taken their places. Absolute farce to call the whole game off.

From memory, the SFA didn't postpone the game until they came under severe pressure from the Record/Sun/Mail/Express grief squad.

Dunbar Hibee
14-03-2010, 08:55 PM
There's been a few I think. Definitely Davie Cooper.

Maybe 9/11? Phil O'Donnell?

Tommy Burns?

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Not really. A few folk on a football messageboard agree with you, sort of. Others don't and that's life I guess.

FWIW I don't find such occasions to be desensitising (sp?) as when they occur I do think of the person to whom they relate.

A recent discussion about this very subject with a number of 'cross-club' supporters delivered about 80% for the 'overkill' position. Not at all scientific, I grant you, but not uncommon.

I (clearly!) think that this is getting out of hand. You're lucky that you don't feel desensitised.

Brizo

Tbh thats a very valid point. He is a former Hibs manager and sometime in the distant future we could be asked to pay our "respects" to a man many of us had little respect for and who imo showed us little respect. A precedents been set with minutes applauses / silences for ex employees and where is the line to be drawn ie Willie McF qualified for a minutes applause but would Bobby W. And who would make the decision that one former employees life was deserving of such a commemoration while another ones isnt. :confused:

Until the late 1990s minutes silences / applauses were extremely rare but have become more and more commonplace , a direct result of the post Diana cult of compulsory public mourning. If deceased employees at every club continue to be honoured in this way games without a minutes silence / applause will eventually become the exception. And when they become part of the matchday routine ...... pub , bookies , pie queue , minutes silence , kick off ----- how devalued do they become ?

The way its going clubs would be just as well to get black armbands sewn permanently into the strips. I wish we could go back a couple of decades to when paying your respects was a personal and private matter for each individual.

Jonnyboy
OK, I have a bee in my bonnet about Diana for personal reasons. It was impolite of me to let that spill over into what I hope is a point worthy of discussion and for that I apologise.

I totally agree that a minutes' applause before the game is not a 'big deal'. I think it is wholly appropriate to remember the dead with an appropriate level of respect. That, however, is not my point.

I feel very strongly that the whole concept of respect for the dead is being abused by the frequency of these commemorations, to the extent that with each passing week, it means less and less. The way we are going, as others on here have posited, is that we'll be getting these commemorations every week before too long. Then it will mean nothing. I mean, the fact that we have to have applause rather than (infinitely more moving) silence speaks (irony again) volumes.

It's time to at least look at ways of doing a better job with this and there are plenty of possibilities. It's just lazy/ignorant to suggest (no, not you) that my problem with 'applause overload' is because I can't be bothered to stnad and clap for a minute. It's a weak position, to put it mildly.

I'm not so sure that we will. It's hard to believe that in the last say three years only three or four former Hibs players have died and yet only three or four minutes applause situations have arisen. I see where you are coming from and I accept it is something you feel strongly about but I don't share your concerns as to frequency I'm afraid

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:01 PM
From memory, the SFA didn't postpone the game until they came under severe pressure from the Record/Sun/Mail/Express grief squad.

That's true. Jim Farry said that he had no idea why the game should be postponed (a reasonable position - and one that the SFA backed him in) but it was The Sun who went to town on him.

lapsedhibee
14-03-2010, 09:02 PM

It was a late call off. Hard to guess now how much of it was hun-related pressure (eg McMoist radio interviews) and how much was general (senti)mentalist press(ure).

matty_f
14-03-2010, 09:02 PM
I'm not so sure that we will. It's hard to believe that in the last say three years only three or four former Hibs players have died and yet only three or four minutes applause situations have arisen. I see where you are coming from and I accept it is something you feel strongly about but I don't share your concerns as to frequency I'm afraid

:agree: I can't think of a time where a significant former player or manager has passed without some form of recognition from the club, so it's not like we've all of a sudden stepped things up a notch post-Diana.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:06 PM

Time will tell, but I'm not just talking about Hibs. I am seeing this everywhere now; well, Scotland, England and Europe, so 'everywhere' I watch football. Twenty years ago I remember silences as very rare. This is no longer the case and it's getting worse. There's little to suggest we're going to go back to 'once a season' silences based on what I've seen at a fairly diverse selection of football venues.

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 09:08 PM
I feel very strongly that the whole concept of respect for the dead is being abused by the frequency of these commemorations, to the extent that with each passing week, it means less and less.

But we have no control over the timing of folk dying :confused:

FWIW I too don't think we should be commemorating Diana or the Pope (or the UEFA dude) at a Hibs game but I do still enjoy being able to contribute to the minutes' silence or applause when there is a Hibs connection.

lapsedhibee
14-03-2010, 09:09 PM
:agree: I can't think of a time where a significant former player or manager has passed without some form of recognition from the club, so it's not like we've all of a sudden stepped things up a notch post-Diana.

One can but hope that when John Alexander Scott's time comes it will be applause rather than silence - there will surely be a number of people arriving, as a sincere tribute to the man, by jetpack.

Jonnyboy
14-03-2010, 09:14 PM
Time will tell, but I'm not just talking about Hibs. I am seeing this everywhere now; well, Scotland, England and Europe, so 'everywhere' I watch football. Twenty years ago I remember silences as very rare. This is no longer the case and it's getting worse. There's little to suggest we're going to go back to 'once a season' silences based on what I've seen at a fairly diverse selection of football venues.

Well dinnae go everywhere, just go tae ER :wink:

bawheid
14-03-2010, 09:15 PM

This is an interesting thread, and I do agree that we seem to have more silences/applauses than we used to. However I'm struggling to think of one recently where it wasn't merited.

In the last few years I remember commemorations for Joe Baker, Gordon Smith, George Best, Alan Gordon, Willie MacFarlane. We've also been asked to mark the odd respect at opposition grounds when one of their former players or managers has died.

Other than the silence for the UEFA dude, can you think of one where it wasn't justified? If so, who decides which former player deserves a silence/applause? Will there be a scale of Hibbiness that needs to be calculated and measured?

I remember there was some discussion recently about whether a silence should be observed before the closest football match to Rememberence Sunday. I personally thought there was a valid argument at the time not to have it, since people would be remembering the following Sunday anyway. Maybe it's because silences are being introduced for non-footballing reasons that the numbers are increasing?

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:16 PM
But we have no control over the timing of folk dying :confused:

FWIW I too don't think we should be commemorating Diana or the Pope (or the UEFA dude) at a Hibs game but I do still enjoy being able to contribute to the minutes' silence or applause when there is a Hibs connection.

I appreciate your position but you're on the brink of agreeing wih my original point, that there are too many of these commemorations now for people with no connection to the club or indeed football.

A lot of the flak coming my way stems from my poor timing in posting at 3.04pm yesterday and that's unfortunate but it doesn't detract from the overall position. Having said that, I was broadly in agreement of a silence for 9/11 victims but the Pope and Diana and Davie Cooper (by many accounts a nasty, nasty piece of work) can all gtf.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:17 PM
Well dinnae go everywhere, just go tae ER :wink:

Sadly not an option for me.

Jonnyboy
14-03-2010, 09:20 PM
Sadly not an option for me.

It wasn't a serious suggestion :greengrin

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:21 PM
This is an interesting thread, and I do agree that we seem to have more silences/applauses than we used to. However I'm struggling to think of one recently where it wasn't merited.

In the last few years I remember commemorations for Joe Baker, Gordon Smith, George Best, Alan Gordon, Willie MacFarlane. We've also been asked to mark the odd respect at opposition grounds when one of their former players or managers has died.

Other than the silence for the UEFA dude, can you think of one where it wasn't justified? If so, who decides which former player deserves a silence/applause? Will there be a scale of Hibbiness that needs to be calculated and measured?

I remember there was some discussion recently about whether a silence should be observed before the closest football match to Rememberence Sunday. I personally thought there was a valid argument at the time not to have it, since people would be remembering the following Sunday anyway. Maybe it's because silences are being introduced for non-footballing reasons that the numbers are increasing?

Aye, there's a few mentioned here. Cooper, Pope, Diana.

In response to your second question, yes I do think that the club should apply a scale of Hibbyness. This is largely unscientific but if someone like Mark McGraw corks it before me, would he get his minutes' applause? And expect me to applaud with feeling?

The ground is on the cusp of completion and there's no reason why there couldn't be a wall of remembrence where past players and managers could be remembered indefinitely.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:22 PM
It wasn't a serious suggestion :greengrin

I know.

bawheid
14-03-2010, 09:27 PM
Aye, there's a few mentioned here. Cooper, Pope, Diana.

In response to your second question, yes I do think that the club should apply a scale of Hibbyness. This is largely unscientific but if someone like Mark McGraw corks it before me, would he get his minutes' applause? And expect me to applaud with feeling?

The ground is on the cusp of completion and there's no reason why there couldn't be a wall of remembrence where past players and managers could be remembered indefinitely.

Cooper, Pope, Diana...fair enough. But that's three over the space of 15-20 years.

I agree with your comment about Mark McGraw, but who sets the bar? Does Franck Sauzee get one? Yes. Does Lilian Martin? Probably not. What about Joe Tortolano? Mickey Weir?

Wall of rememberence is a good idea.

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 09:29 PM
I appreciate your position but you're on the brink of agreeing wih my original point, that there are too many of these commemorations now for people with no connection to the club or indeed football.

A lot of the flak coming my way stems from my poor timing in posting at 3.04pm yesterday and that's unfortunate but it doesn't detract from the overall position. Having said that, I was broadly in agreement of a silence for 9/11 victims but the Pope and Diana and Davie Cooper (by many accounts a nasty, nasty piece of work) can all gtf.

were you in broad agreement for the cancelled games for 9/11

I Love Lamp
14-03-2010, 09:30 PM
This is not really a big issue but I think silences/applauses certainly don't do any harm. I feel bad even saying this but if all of the Famous Five had died within five consecutive weeks I would have thought there would be five consecutive silences. In other words, the value of a life and a contribution is not lessened by the proximity of its loss to those of others.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:34 PM
Cooper, Pope, Diana...fair enough. But that's three over the space of 15-20 years.

I agree with your comment about Mark McGraw, but who sets the bar? Does Franck Sauzee get one? Yes. Does Lilian Martin? Probably not. What about Joe Tortolano? Mickey Weir?

Wall of rememberence is a good idea.

I think the wall, or opening up the ground (and an appropriate PA announcement), or something in the programme (and an appropriate PA announcement), or all three coupled with an annual silence at a pre-determined game to remember those that have passed in the preceeding year would enhance the whole experience as its undeniably true that there are vastly more of these commemorations (like I say, I've been at 15-20 this season).

I guess it all comes down to whether the idea of having these every week would bother the individual. It bothers me, but others have said that it wouldn't bother them.

I suppose we should be grateful for the freedom to express ourselves. It seems to be the only real freedom we have left.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:36 PM
were you in broad agreement for the cancelled games for 9/11

No. Especially when a number of games went ahead in Europe that night while others did not.

Silences at subsequent games = totally appropriate.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:37 PM
This is not really a big issue but I think silences/applauses certainly don't do any harm. I feel bad even saying this but if all of the Famous Five had died within five consecutive weeks I would have thought there would be five consecutive silences. In other words, the value of a life and a contribution is not lessened by the proximity of its loss to those of others.

gp,wm

although I wasn't suggesting silences/applause are in any way harmful....

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 09:38 PM
No. Especially when a number of games went ahead in Europe that night while others did not.

wrong

hibbie02
14-03-2010, 09:40 PM

Indeed. ManYoo played their game in Athens on the night of 9/11 whilst ours got cancelled the next day and no refund on the ticket money was paid. I was travelling from Germany on 9/11 to get home then off to Athens. Was less than impressed with decisions made.

Danderhall Hibs
14-03-2010, 09:43 PM
Indeed. ManYoo played their game in Athens on the night of 9/11 whilst ours got cancelled the next day and no refund on the ticket money was paid. I was travelling from Germany on 9/11 to get home then off to Athens. Was less than impressed with decisions made.

You sure mate? Luna says that's "wrong"

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:43 PM
wrong

Right.

From soccerbase: European Cup (http://www.soccerbase.com/cup2.sd?competitionid=66&seasonid=131) Roma (http://www.soccerbase.com/teams2.sd?teamid=2163) 1-2 (http://www.soccerbase.com/results3.sd?gameid=322295) Real Madrid (http://www.soccerbase.com/teams2.sd?teamid=2165) 11-09-2001 (http://www.soccerbase.com/results_by_date.sd?date=2001-09-11+00%3A00%3A00)
Ouchie!

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:44 PM
You sure mate? Luna says that's "wrong"

Luna's got it wrong, sadly. Plenty of ECL games played that night, and national leagues, etc.

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 09:45 PM

thats not correct also
EUFA called off all the games on 12/9 & 13/9 inc Man Utd
there was no choice for the clubs

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:48 PM
thats not correct also
EUFA called off all the games on 12/9 & 13/9 inc Man Utd
there was no choice for the clubs

Like I said, games went ahead on the night of 9/11. I made no mention of the following dates.

Best stop digging, you made a wee boo-boo!

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Like I said, games went ahead on the night of 9/11. I made no mention of the following dates.

You're clearly wrong; best stop digging!

ok sorry just thought I would make a point that countless thousands of football fans travelled across europe that week and did no see games. I cant remember many complaints.

compare that with your crying over to having to suffer for a minute at games where you know &^ck all about who has died

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 09:59 PM
ok sorry just thought I would make a point that countless thousands of football fans travelled across europe that week and did no see games. I cant remember many complaints.

compare that with your crying over to having to suffer for a minute at games where you know &^ck all about who has died

It always helps if the point you're making is based in fact, rather than making yourself look silly by replying 'wrong' when it's a matter of record that games went ahead that night.

Your second sentence is also interesting - having a go at me because you *****ed up. Not a great position from which to construct an argument.

Teddies/pram moment from you there...

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 10:01 PM
I cant remember many complaints.

You've a very selective memory. I know scores of people who were well cheesed off. One has helpfully posted here mere seconds after you to remind you...

I was at Stadio Olimpico that night, so no complaints here. Although Roma complained long and loud (after the event) about having to have played, but you probably can't remember that. Or I might be 'wrong' again, who knows.

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 10:05 PM
It always helps if the point you're making is based in fact, rather than making yourself look silly by replying 'wrong' when it's a matter of record that games went ahead that night.

Your second sentence is also interesting - having a go at me because you *****ed up. Not a great position from which to construct an argument.

and it is a matter of record and fact the games you have been at this season where there has been a minute silence or clapping but you won't tell

btw i like the way you slag off the pope diana and d.cooper - cleverly tries to keep everybody happy

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 10:09 PM
and it is a matter of record and fact the games you have been at this season where there has been a minute silence or clapping but you won't tell

btw i like the way you slag off the pope diana and d.cooper - cleverly tries to keep everybody happy

What I want most of all is to keep you happy though, and in that regard I feel a total failure.

I'm pleased you think I'm clever though. Sadly, I cannot reciprocate!

LeithWalkHibby
14-03-2010, 10:12 PM

Done like dinner!

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Done like dinner!

Aye, but his subsequent comment tells me he's having trouble dealing with it.

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 10:18 PM
What I want most of all is to keep you happy though, and in that regard I feel a total failure.

I'm pleased you think I'm clever though. Sadly, I cannot reciprocate!

I said "tries" in relation to being clever

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 10:21 PM

Sure, whatever. If you just want to give me abuse, send me some PMs or something? If you want to contribute to the topic however, then go right ahead.

p.s. you said 'cleverly tries'... Do you read back before you post?

LeithWalkHibby
14-03-2010, 10:22 PM

This is excruciating. If it was a boxing contest they'd stop the fight...

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 10:23 PM
This is excruciating. If it was a boxing contest they'd stop the fight...

Shh! He's still digging! :wink:

Luna_Asylum
14-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Sure, whatever. If you just want to give me abuse, send me some PMs or something? If you want to contribute to the topic however, then go right ahead.

no thanks

i am not wanting to give you or anyone else abuse

i did want to point out that i did not say you were clever but that i noted you were trying to be clever (in telling d. cooper diana and the pope to gtf)

Hibby D
14-03-2010, 10:25 PM

But that's not exactly what you said.

You said....

And you said it 5 mins after a minutes applause for a former manager; not someone with a tenuous connection to the club.

I think you've moved your goalposts slightly

Pun intended :greengrin

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 10:28 PM
But that's not exactly what you said.

You said....

And you said it 5 mins after a minutes applause for a former manager; not someone with a tenuous connection to the club.

I think you've moved your goalposts slightly

Pun intended :greengrin

No, you're totally right. I should have said 'position' and not 'original position' as I had, and acknowledged so doing, changed my position (albeit slightly) as the thread has progressed. I did not mean to deceive.

Having said that, I never claimed MacFarlane's connection to the club was tenuous and feel free to have a look, but you won't find that from me...

I did, however, apologise for my timing not once but twice but that I did not apologise for my viewpoint.

magpie1892
14-03-2010, 10:30 PM
i did want to point out that i did not say you were clever but that i noted you were trying to be clever (in telling d. cooper diana and the pope to gtf)

Then don't write 'cleverly tries' ffs! Grammar, dear boy! Grammar!