PDA

View Full Version : Question Why is this "The Year"

Keith_M
12-03-2010, 02:40 PM
I've read a few times people stating that "This is the year" for Hibs in the Cup-that-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned. Why on earth are people saying this?

We've had some really fortunate draws in the tournament so far, nobody can argue with that. That can't go on forever as, IF we beat Ross County, we'll still have to beat the bigger teams at some point to win the thing. The most likely is that we'll meet one of the OF in the semi-finals. I for one wouldn't be confident approaching a game against either, particularly Rangers.

While I'm pleased with the overall progress the team has made this season, I can't for the life of me see how this is any different to any other season regarding Hibs chances of winning the cup. Am I alone in this or does anybody else think the whole thing's been overplayed?

:dunno:

GGTTH

Woody1985
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
Perhaps because we have reached the QF already, have a good chance of getting through and another chance of getting a team from a lower division.

'Years' like this dont come around ofter and people try to associate the lucky draws we had so far and see it as an omen that we're going to go on and win it.

Fortunately I'm not into luck or superstition and I reckon that we still have a long way to go but if we're going to win it, this would be a great chance to do it.

sleeping giant
12-03-2010, 02:43 PM
I've read a few times people stating that "This is the year" for Hibs in the Cup-that-Shall-Not-Be-Mentioned. Why on earth are people saying this?

We've had some really fortunate draws in the tournament so far, nobody can argue with that. That can't go on forever as, IF we beat Ross County, we'll still have to beat the bigger teams at some point to win the thing. The most likely is that we'll meet one of the OF in the semi-finals. I for one wouldn't be confident approaching a game against either, particularly Rangers.

While I'm pleased with the overall progress the team has made this season, I can't for the life of me see how this is any different to any other season regarding Hibs chances of winning the cup. Am I alone in this or does anybody else think the whole thing's been overplayed?

GGTTH

Well , we're still in it for a start :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
12-03-2010, 02:47 PM

GGTTH

:confused: What a strange question!! Would you rather we all dismissed the SC every year and said after every round "it doesn't matter we won't win it, we never do". I think it's called HOPE!

Keith_M
12-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Well , we're still in it for a start :greengrin

Yeah, I suppose we're still in a bit longer than usual.

:greengrin

FWIW, I do think we'll beat Ross County tomorrow, so we should be going to Hampden for at least a Semi Final. Or am I being over optimistic as well... :wink:

Frazerbob
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
No, you're not alone but there's no harm in getting your hopes up. We can't win the SPL, we're out the League Cup so the it's our only "shot at glory". When you add the fact that we all want so much, you can't blame folk for having a wee dream.

I always make sure I am not doing anything on cup final day. Every year I avoid booking holidays, gigs etc on that date in the hope that we'll be there. So far, in my life time, we've been there once (I was too young in 1979). That won't stop me keeping the diary clear next year, the year after and every year I'm on this planet.

If you don't have hope, then you might as well go to the cinema every Saturday afternoon (or Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday.......).

Hainan Hibs
12-03-2010, 02:49 PM
We've had the best possible draw in each round so far however both sides of the Old Firm are still in and so are UTD, three teams we would struggle to beat.

Not getting excited yet. It would just be our luck that Rangers and Celtic get knocked out, along with a County win:greengrin

Keith_M
12-03-2010, 02:50 PM
:confused: What a strange question!! Would you rather we all dismissed the SC every year and said after every round "it doesn't matter we won't win it, we never do". I think it's called HOPE!

When did I say we won't win it? :confused:

I'm just confused as to why some people have decided that this is the year we will. I wanted to ask what it was that's convinced people, or even if it's more just a Media thing, because the league is a foregone conclusion.

Scouse Hibee
12-03-2010, 02:52 PM

I'm just confused as to why some people have decided that this is the year we will. I wanted to ask what it was that's convinced people, or even if it's more just a Media thing, because the league is a foregone conclusion.

Err.... you didn't and I never said you did. I just HOPE we do :greengrin

Keith_M
12-03-2010, 02:53 PM
Err.... you didn't and I never said you did. I just HOPE we do :greengrin

Me anaw. :greengrin

Killiehibbie
12-03-2010, 02:57 PM

This year is our only year we can win it since the last time. Every year we hear guys saying this year is our year and who knows maybe one of these times they'll be right. Next step win tomorrow.

jakedance
12-03-2010, 03:07 PM
It's our year until such time that it's no longer our year, at which point next year will be our year. See last year and the year before that and the year before that and the year before that etc and so on and so forth where the same rule applied.

NORTHERNHIBBY
12-03-2010, 03:18 PM
For some reason, when the cup draw was made for the third round, I had an immediate vision of use lining up against Dundee and Hampden. Don't know where it came from like. Maybe cos the local paper up here is dominated by the Dundee teams. Anyways, if they put Raith away. it could be a reality, either as a semi-final or a final and either would be peachy.

hibees59
12-03-2010, 03:40 PM
It's written in the stars that we'll win it this year. The last time we won the cup there were tram tracks in Princes Street, this year there are tram tracks in Princes Street. The last year we won the cup was 1902 if you add those figures up 1+9+0+2 = 12, this year is 2010 if you add up those figures 2 + 0 +10 = 12.
Simples :wink:

tam4hibs
12-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Seen a few signs this year that we could (maybe, just maybe) do it.

(1) Last time we had a former captain in charge we won a cup.
(2) Best possible draw in my memory
(3) The balmoral clock unexplicably stopped this year. Last time it done that was 1902. Coincidence?
(4) Last time I had a season ticket we won a cup
(5) Last time we built a new stand we at least reached the SC final (IIRC)
(6) As a hibby, I feel like we are due it. Big man upstairs has had his laugh, now give us that wee bit of joy.

Look at it this way:
Say we win tomorrow (which I think will be tough!). Then all we have to do is win 2 games. Not even within 90 mins.

If we were 2 games away from the end of the season, top, level on points with our rival and only had to avoid losing to two teams on a neutral ground (one of which could be in the 1st division), how would you feel? Confident? Would ER be bouncing for those games?! :thumbsup:

Thats how the feeling should be tomorrow! Be positive mate. Got to happen eventually... :grr:

Hibercelona
12-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Call me a pessimistic radge....

But it won't happen.

iwasthere1972
12-03-2010, 04:02 PM

GGTTH

Hopefully we will get through tomorrow although I envisage it will be difficult. One thing in our favour may be the atmosphere. I don't want to slate the old east stand boys but I do reckon that the noise that we will generate from half the North Stand will be far louder and will help the team greatly.

Unfortunately the ugly cousins are still in the cup and one of them is depending on lifting it otherwise their manager could be shifted on. The other half will also want it to go with their SPL title. To lift that thing none of us has seen paraded at Easter Road will take some doing but we live in hope.....again.

Roll on tomorrow. Hoping for a good performance on and off the field.

:notworthy: :notworthy:

monktonharp
12-03-2010, 04:09 PM
It's written in the stars that we'll win it this year. The last time we won the cup there were tram tracks in Princes Street, this year there are tram tracks in Princes Street. The last year we won the cup was 1902 if you add those figures up 1+9+0+2 = 12, this year is 2010 if you add up those figures 2 + 0 +10 = 12.
Simples :wink: that's a f/kin stoater,that's it ,we've done it at last:greengrin coupled to the fact that Gorgie mob won it in 98' when they beat lower division teams all the way to the final,where they beat a moth eaten Rangers side,got an early dodgy penalty and ended up hangin' on wi' their fingernails at the end. that's what you call luck,not to mention Gretna:grr:

MacBean
12-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Hibs vs Ross County
Killie vs Celtic
Rangers vs Dundee Utd
Dundee vs Raith

Hibs v Raith
Dundee Utd vs killie

Hibs 5 vs 1 Killie

:devil:

Hibercelona
12-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Hibs vs Ross County
Killie vs Celtic
Rangers vs Dundee Utd
Dundee vs Raith

Hibs v Raith
Dundee Utd vs killie

Hibs 5 vs 1 Killie

:pray:

noseyhibby
12-03-2010, 04:25 PM

I for one am weary of hearing this 108 years and counting nonsense, because it really is nonsense. There are a great many teams that have not won the Scottish cup at all. Jambos mock our record as it detracts from their own sorry state of affairs, namely clinching two major trophies at Hampden in my lifetime. This compares to Hibs 3 major trophies in my lifetime, and I'm not including Dryborough cup or tennents sixes successes. The point is that there are 3 major trophies to be won every season - The League, The League cup and the Scottish Cup. Winning the Scottish cup is no more important to me than winning the league cup. The joy of football is in seeing your team lift one of the major trophies and being among thousands of fellow Hibbies. Getting to Hampden is no less easy in the league cup than the Scottish. It's all mind games. What I do know is that the jambos will be absolutely gutted and scrambling around to come up with something else they can try to belittle Hibs with should we actually win the damn thing in the next few months. I for one don't see it, but this is neither here or there. I have seen my team win and win magnificently at Hampden. End of.

The_Todd
12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Because at least one year has to be.

vahibbie
12-03-2010, 05:14 PM
Last year, this year, next year.

Has to be one f'kn year....why not this one.

jakki
12-03-2010, 05:20 PM
This is the first year in the last 10 years that I've not put a fiver on "Hibs to win the Scottish Cup". I'll be over the moon if I lose out on the winnings on a bet that I forgot to put on!:thumbsup:

ChrissyG1875
12-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Call me a pessimistic radge....

But it won't happen.

Ya pessimistic radge!

MeAndMyBoys
12-03-2010, 06:37 PM
My thinking is this - if we were a smaller club in stature and not 'expected' to win anything then not wining a particular trophy would not be an issue regardless if it was 1, 8, or 108 years...

Anybody think of any "smaller" clubs who have not won it recently and who are never mentioned in the same breath as 'won the {particular trophy}' ?

I can only really think of the mighty Fulham - who I don't think have ever won the Cup..

Viva_Palmeiras
12-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Instead of asking "why?" - ask "why not?"

There fixed :greengrin I'm sure this is also the Yogi school of thinking.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-03-2010, 06:55 PM

And Nostrodamus wrote "Yellow men from the East will rise up again" - we had a Yellow away kit last year (what the heck he cant get it right all the time).:cool2:

essexhibee
12-03-2010, 07:19 PM
I think to win the cup this year, we will have to put out the old firm. To win this cup, we need to get through to the semi's (obviously) and hope that one of the old firm is put out. Then we wil have to beat one of the old firm in the semis and play a non OF team in the final.

The OF wont be beaten in a final. Its the jammy bassas way.

Viva_Palmeiras
12-03-2010, 07:34 PM
I think to win the cup this year, we will have to put out the old firm. To win this cup, we need to get through to the semi's (obviously) and hope that one of the old firm is put out. Then we wil have to beat one of the old firm in the semis and play a non OF team in the final.

The OF wont be beaten in a final. Its the jammy bassas way.

Why not? :greengrin

down-the-slope
12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
i'm a glass half full man..but unless Gers go out before we meet then we won't win......heres to DUFC to get through tomorrow

Jamesie
12-03-2010, 08:26 PM
Don't forget the clock in the Balmoral hotel tower stopped working last month...

....for the first time since 1902 :wink:

PISTOL1875
12-03-2010, 09:24 PM

GGTTH

This is the year because my Mum is getting married on.... yes you guessed it.... May 15th.......

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

seanraff07
12-03-2010, 09:30 PM
This is the year because my Mum is getting married on.... yes you guessed it.... May 15th.......

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

What are you going to do if we were to make the final?:rolleyes:

Removed
12-03-2010, 09:31 PM

:grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr::grr:

:confused: What's the problem? Is she not getting it videoed?

Oh and check my sig countdown - I have a dilemma as well :grr:

brydekirk
12-03-2010, 09:37 PM

GGTTH
because, this is the year :agree:

Mag7
12-03-2010, 09:50 PM
FWIW I think you're right. This is no more 'the year' than any other year has been. If anything, three of the last four semi-finals we've been in were times when we should have been thinking 'this is the year' rather than this year. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline were all bottom of the league when we played them and we took the lead against the first two before collapsing to defeat. Dunfermline, well, that was unforgivable in my book. A glorious chance to win both cups that season and we couldn't get past them even in a replay. Yet, far too many fans seeemd to shrug off that defeat by consoling themselves that at least we won the CIS Cup. That's part of the reason Hibs generally fail to be taken seriously. Most fans' expectations are far too low and the reason so many seem to think this is the year is solely down to having had an easy draw so far. As you say, even if we win tomorrow, tougher games await.

Jonnyboy
12-03-2010, 11:02 PM
For some reason, when the cup draw was made for the third round, I had an immediate vision of use lining up against Dundee and Hampden. Don't know where it came from like. Maybe cos the local paper up here is dominated by the Dundee teams. Anyways, if they put Raith away. it could be a reality, either as a semi-final or a final and either would be peachy.

It's a 'blue' thing NH

Irvine Meadow - blue

Montrose - blue

Ross County - blue

Dundee or Raith - blue

Rangers - blue

:wink:

monktonharp
12-03-2010, 11:34 PM
FWIW I think you're right. This is no more 'the year' than any other year has been. If anything, three of the last four semi-finals we've been in were times when we should have been thinking 'this is the year' rather than this year. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline were all bottom of the league when we played them and we took the lead against the first two before collapsing to defeat. Dunfermline, well, that was unforgivable in my book. A glorious chance to win both cups that season and we couldn't get past them even in a replay. Yet, far too many fans seeemd to shrug off that defeat by consoling themselves that at least we won the CIS Cup. That's part of the reason Hibs generally fail to be taken seriously. Most fans' expectations are far too low and the reason so many seem to think this is the year is solely down to having had an easy draw so far. As you say, even if we win tomorrow, tougher games await.Couple of very valid points there. the Pars thing was oh so painfull.Thought we should have wiped the flair wi' them in the first game,but had a funny feeling about the replay.we defo had a team that could have won it that year,and i'd love it so much to be against CVeltic,as the've hurt us so much in finals. I was given 50 free tickets for our branch too,in the CFC Supporters club,in London Road and couldnae gie them away! we all ended up swapping to the South stand!we shoved the young lad fi ' NEWCASTLE UP FRONT AS A STRIKER AND HE HARDLY HAD A SNIFF O' THE BA' DAMON GRAY. hope he's still making a living kicking a ba'

NaeTechnoHibby
13-03-2010, 02:45 AM
FWIW I think you're right. This is no more 'the year' than any other year has been. If anything, three of the last four semi-finals we've been in were times when we should have been thinking 'this is the year' rather than this year. Aberdeen, Dundee Utd and Dunfermline were all bottom of the league when we played them and we took the lead against the first two before collapsing to defeat. Dunfermline, well, that was unforgivable in my book. A glorious chance to win both cups that season and we couldn't get past them even in a replay. Yet, far too many fans seeemd to shrug off that defeat by consoling themselves that at least we won the CIS Cup. That's part of the reason Hibs generally fail to be taken seriously. Most fans' expectations are far too low and the reason so many seem to think this is the year is solely down to having had an easy draw so far. As you say, even if we win tomorrow, tougher games await.

Not this fan :bitchy:

Those players that "revolted" have a lot to answer for in my book, to this day
:sick::asshole::take that

Bunch o' Far King Er se holes IMO :agree:

League Cup win under their belts and could have made "History" but no......................... :boo hoo:

hibees59
13-03-2010, 08:42 AM

Add to this the last time we won the cup we conceded only one goal before the quarter finals, this year we have conceded only one goal before the quarter finals. Also the game before the quarter final we won 5-1 (v Port Glasgow), this year we won the game before the quarter final 5-1 (v Montrose). My prediction is that will beat Ross County 6-1.

Mag7
15-03-2010, 09:50 AM
I think it's fair to say that Saturday's performance coupled with the semi-final draw will have persuaded many that this is not 'the year' after all.

Andy74
15-03-2010, 09:53 AM
Ross County away, then Celtic, then probably Rangers.

It won't be our year until both Celtic and Rangers go out somehow and even then....

Bad Martini
15-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Oh and check my sig countdown - I have a dilemma as well :grr:

Get yourself to the Gixxer event held at Brands instead and yer dilema is sorted....(or, wait til really really really really really really really late at night, and utilise the fine highways and byways as Mr Suzuki intended :greengrin)

As for the Scottish Cup, no if's/but's/maybe's and even after the last tie, it is coming back to Easter Road this year.

Ohhh yes. Sorted.

NEXT :thumbsup:

IWasThere2016
15-03-2010, 11:59 AM
Ross County away, then Celtic, then probably Rangers.

It won't be our year until both Celtic and Rangers go out somehow and even then....

I agree - it aint happen' this year IMHO :boo hoo:

Rory89
15-03-2010, 12:12 PM
I'd obviously love for us to win it, but could an of you say you'd actually enjoy going to a Scottish Cup final? Say we got there and played Rangers, a win would make it the best day of my life, but the prospect of falling at the final hurdle and having 25k huns and another couple of hundred on the way home gloating would make me too nervous to enjoy a second of the build up.

CropleyWasGod
15-03-2010, 12:22 PM
I'd obviously love for us to win it, but could an of you say you'd actually enjoy going to a Scottish Cup final? Say we got there and played Rangers, a win would make it the best day of my life, but the prospect of falling at the final hurdle and having 25k huns and another couple of hundred on the way home gloating would make me too nervous to enjoy a second of the build up.

Enjoy? Ain't no such word in the Hibs lexicon :greengrin

Having been to 4 SC finals, , f knows how many LC finals, with Hibs... that is a difficult concept for me to grasp. However, I will say that the ritual of the last one is what sticks in my mind. The build up, the face-painting of the bairn, the early start, ...... the sing-song in the Royal Nip that night, and talking to Franck the next day about it. All that, and more...

All that is missing, as you will see, is that bit in the middle. The crap bit.

I would still take a day out, nerves and all.

Rory89
15-03-2010, 12:27 PM
Enjoy? Ain't no such word in the Hibs lexicon :greengrin

Having been to 4 SC finals, , f knows how many LC finals, with Hibs... that is a difficult concept for me to grasp. However, I will say that the ritual of the last one is what sticks in my mind. The build up, the face-painting of the bairn, the early start, ...... the sing-song in the Royal Nip that night, and talking to Franck the next day about it. All that, and more...

All that is missing, as you will see, is that bit in the middle. The crap bit.

I would still take a day out, nerves and all.

In the time I've been watching Hibs we've been to one final and that was 2007. I really enjoyed the build-up to that day, although I was confident that day we'd win. The only way I'd feel like that this year would be if we were playing Raith Rovers.

CropleyWasGod
15-03-2010, 12:35 PM
In the time I've been watching Hibs we've been to one final and that was 2007. I really enjoyed the build-up to that day, although I was confident that day we'd win. The only way I'd feel like that this year would be if we were playing Raith Rovers.

I have highlighted the flaws in your thinking. :greengrin

Sudds_1
15-03-2010, 12:44 PM

Been there , done it, wrote the book etc etc etc.......35 years of disappointment (save one or 2 :wink:)

But you just CAN'T beat a day out supporting the boys at Hampden - be it a semi or a final. Just no greater feeling in the world to see the sea of green and white.........and, for once, the real atmosphere that a Hibs crown CAN generate when it can be *rsed! :wink::greengrin

Rory89
15-03-2010, 12:47 PM
Been there , done it, wrote the book etc etc etc.......35 years of disappointment (save one or 2 :wink:)

But you just CAN'T beat a day out supporting the boys at Hampden - be it a semi or a final. Just no greater feeling in the world to see the sea of green and white.........and, for once, the real atmosphere that a Hibs crown CAN generate when it can be *rsed! :wink::greengrin

Should we get to the semi or indeed the final, I'll spend the weeks building up to it unbelievably excited then when the day comes dread every minute of it. That's how I role.