PDA

View Full Version : NHC Wenger Tells Real Madrid "Dinnae Bother"......

KerPlunk
12-03-2010, 08:48 AM
Arsene Wenger. What's not to like ? OK, he can be a wee bit of a whiny bassa now and again but his attitude and loyalty to the Arse are never in question.

Great to see him tell Perez to stick it where the sun don't shine. :greengrin

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/12/arsene-wenger-real-madrid-manager

Beefster
12-03-2010, 10:09 AM
He'd be mad to leave Arsenal. He's idolised there, by the fans and the board, despite having won nothing in 5 years and is allowed to run the footballing side of things as he sees fit. He's also guaranteed some sort of 'upstairs' job when he's had enough of management.

If he went to Real, he'd be under severe pressure to deliver, would have sporting directors and owners dictating stuff to him, would probably have players foisted on him, would have players undermining him and would likely lose his job after the first trophy-less season.

7Hero
12-03-2010, 10:12 AM
his team and barcelona get the credit from me, they haven't relied on huge money signings and have based there teams on growing young players.

Much prefer that philosophy rather than the chelsea / madrid / man city etc. way..

TonyStokeprano
12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Arsene Wenger. What's not to like ? OK, he can be a wee bit of a whiny bassa now and again but his attitude and loyalty to the Arse are never in question.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/12/arsene-wenger-real-madrid-manager (http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/12/arsene-wenger-real-madrid-manager)

I like his loyalty, but i hate how he treated ryan shawcross after that incident, or how he stands and blatantly lies to everyone whenever one of his players makes a bad tackle " i did not see it", Constantly thinks the world is against his side aswell.

KWJ
12-03-2010, 10:15 AM
I'd kinda say they have still relied on huge money signings. Just not ridiculous money signings. I take your point though and :agree:

Ronaldo goes for over 80M and hibs' record signing is a reported 700k as well as our highest sale being 4.4M.

TonyStokeprano
12-03-2010, 10:30 AM
his team and barcelona get the credit from me, they haven't relied on huge money signings and have based there teams on growing young players.

Much prefer that philosophy rather than the chelsea / madrid / man city etc. way..

Barcelona have spent an enormous amount of money assembling that squad?
Alves £30 million
Pique £8 Million
Ibrahimovic £70 million
Henry £18 million
Keita £15 million
chygrynsky £25 million
Abidal £15 million
yaya toure £10 million
Milito £18 million

Hakim Sar
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I like his loyalty, but i hate how he treated ryan shawcross after that incident, or how he stands and blatantly lies to everyone whenever one of his players makes a bad tackle " i did not see it", Constantly thinks the world is against his side aswell.

top managers usually adopt the siege mentality and it works - it is more a tactic than a personality trait

fergie had aberdeen believing that it was them vs glasgow/media etc
fergie had man united pumped up as the most hated team in the country in the 90's
mourinho vs italy has been well documented and he uses it as motivation for getting them wound up against ancellotti and the establishment etc

mowbray has tried it at cletic but the mistake he made was to go OTT in public rather than keep it confined to the dressing room - it has since backfired incredibly - so doesnt always work!!!

Owain_1987
12-03-2010, 11:57 AM
It would make no sense for Wenger to go. You only get one year at Real anyway. I don't really understand why people would want to join them. They seem like a very unstable club and run really badly. It seem they are run by hearts and not heads. Also impressed by the number of people on this board who read the guardian :greengrin

Cocaine&Caviar
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Barcelona have spent an enormous amount of money assembling that squad?
Alves £30 million
Pique £8 Million
Ibrahimovic £70 million
Henry £18 million
Keita £15 million
chygrynsky £25 million
Abidal £15 million
yaya toure £10 million
Milito £18 million

Yeh but if you look at it in context, of the players that they have developed themselves, and the estimated value of those players:

Valdes, £15m
Puyol, £20m
Xavi, £40m
Iniesta, £40m
Messi, £80m
Busquets, £10m
Bojan, £20m
Pedro, £15m

I'd kinda say they have still relied on huge money signings. Just not ridiculous money signings. I take your point though and :agree:

Ronaldo goes for over 80M and hibs' record signing is a reported 700k as well as our highest sale being 4.4M.

But you have to credit the profit making metality of arsenal, selling players for a massive profit every time, after getting good sevice of them, or increasing their value:

Henry £10m > £16m
Adebayor £3m > £23m
Toure £150k > £10m
Diaby £2m
Song £1m
Clichy £500k

and of coarse there is Fabregas...

Woody1985
12-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Yeh but if you look at it in context, of the players that they have developed themselves, and the estimated value of those players:

Valdes, £15m
Puyol, £20m
Xavi, £40m
Iniesta, £40m
Messi, £80m
Busquets, £10m
Bojan, £20m
Pedro, £15m

But you have to credit the profit making metality of arsenal, selling players for a massive profit every time, after getting good sevice of them, or increasing their value:

Henry £10m > £16m
Adebayor £3m > £23m
Toure £150k > £10m
Diaby £2m
Song £1m
Clichy £500k

Whilst I understand your point re context for Barca, if you think Puyol would command a 20 million pound fee at this stage of this career you've undermined your point a little.

I used to like Wenger but now he's a blithering idiot who is full of *****.

TonyStokeprano
12-03-2010, 12:27 PM

Valdes, £15m
Puyol, £20m
Xavi, £40m
Iniesta, £40m
Messi, £80m
Busquets, £10m
Bojan, £20m
Pedro, £15m

Henry £10m > £16m
Adebayor £3m > £23m
Toure £150k > £10m
Diaby £2m
Song £1m
Clichy £500k

Most of arsenals youngsters have been poached from other clubs unlike barcelona. also wenger has wasted a lot of cash on flops like Reyes,Jeffers,Richard wright. Wenger also spent a lot of money on Arshavin, Nasri and Eduardo. Wenger hasn't brought through the youngsters in the same way barcelona has, hes paid a couple of million pounds for them at a young age. A lot of them end up end up never getting a game, like fabian caballero who ended up at Dundee.

TonyStokeprano
12-03-2010, 12:28 PM
Whilst I understand your point re context for Barca, if you think Puyol would command a 20 million pound fee at this stage of this career you've undermined your point a little.

I used to like Wenger but now he's a blithering idiot who is full of *****.

:wink:

jgl07
12-03-2010, 04:00 PM

Henry £10m > £16m
Adebayor £3m > £23m
Toure £150k > £10m
Diaby £2m
Song £1m
Clichy £500k

You missed out Anelka. Signed for peanuts sold to Real madrid for big money.

Brizo
12-03-2010, 05:27 PM

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/12/arsene-wenger-real-madrid-manager

HIs selective touchline blindness. He sees anything bad done to his players but never sees any of his own players misbehaviour. Managers should defend there own but theres a line where a manager should put his hand up to admit that there player was wrong. He never does and takes it to a ridiculous level imo. In that regard hes not much different from Fergie and Benitez but his Gallic savoir faire (sp) seems to get him an easier time from the media.

Lucky_Jim
13-03-2010, 07:41 AM

I totally agree with you Tony. The way he ripped into Shawcross was an absolute disgrace. Anyone with even a shred of emotional intelligence could see that the lad Shawcross was gutted by what happened. His tackle on Ramsay was clumsy and badly timed but it certainly wasn't malicious. Wenger's reaction to the incident was churlish and unprofessional in the extreme, and pretty much sums the man up.

As much as I try to love Arsenal I just can't whilst the sour faced, bitter and twisted Frenchman is in charge. Can't deny that the guy knows how to play the beautiful game and that his teams, when on top form, are probably better to watch than any other BUT the guy has no class, dignity or integrity. Besides which, his inability to deliver any silverware for a good few years now would be regarded by his peers, like Fergie, Mourinho or even Benitez, as nothing short of abject failure.

ARSEne is a very apt first name indeed - he's really not as good as he thinks he is.

Hibs90
13-03-2010, 08:51 AM
There's only one Arsene Wenger :thumbsup:

mad giraffe
13-03-2010, 09:20 AM
I totally agree with you Tony. The way he ripped into Shawcross was an absolute disgrace. Anyone with even a shred of emotional intelligence could see that the lad Shawcross was gutted by what happened. His tackle on Ramsay was clumsy and badly timed but it certainly wasn't malicious. Wenger's reaction to the incident was churlish and unprofessional in the extreme, and pretty much sums the man up.

As much as I try to love Arsenal I just can't whilst the sour faced, bitter and twisted Frenchman is in charge. Can't deny that the guy knows how to play the beautiful game and that his teams, when on top form, are probably better to watch than any other BUT the guy has no class, dignity or integrity. Besides which, his inability to deliver any silverware for a good few years now would be regarded by his peers, like Fergie, Mourinho or even Benitez, as nothing short of abject failure.

ARSEne is a very apt first name indeed - he's really not as good as he thinks he is.

totally agree, for all the good work he has done he continually lets himself down with stupid comments. the defeat in porto when he moaned about the quick free kick was another example. i wouldnt say benitez was among his peers though, that guy shouldnae be in charge of bonnyrigg rose!

lapsedhibee
13-03-2010, 09:53 AM

What was it that he said about Shawcross, or you think he said about Shawcross, that was disgraceful? In the three post-match interviews that I saw he did not mention Shawcross by name but said that the tackle was "unacceptable". Gotta suppose that the ref also thought it was unacceptable, or he wouldn't have sent the boy off. :dunno:

heretoday
13-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Hard not to like Wenger. He has the air of a learned professor and an engaging sense of humour and if he's always moaning and biased towards his players....well who isn't?

He must win something this season though. What's the point of him being there otherwise?