http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8563328.stm

:fishin: re Nish.

:top marks re the psychological approach to that Cup

noseyhibby
11-03-2010, 08:42 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8563328.stm

:fishin: re Nish.

:top marks re the psychological approach to that Cup

Always good to hear Mr Hughes talk, but he is beginning to sound like a latter day Mahatma Ghandi, praising and talking up every player, manager and club he's up against. It's all a bit gushing and I do wonder whether he is in danger of being too likeable, certainly amongst the Hibs players, who might see him as a big bear with a teddy bear streak, and perhaps not ruthless enough. I can't but help like the man, but I am concerned that certain players will always be included in his side simply because they are his favourites -Nish being a classic example. Nish can be a handful but all too rarely, and often looks out of his depth and lost in games. But he is nearly always penned in for the next game.

Alex Trager
11-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Always good to hear Mr Hughes talk, but he is beginning to sound like a latter day Mahatma Ghandi, praising and talking up every player, manager and club he's up against. It's all a bit gushing and I do wonder whether he is in danger of being too likeable, certainly amongst the Hibs players, who might see him as a big bear with a teddy bear streak, and perhaps not ruthless enough. I can't but help like the man, but I am concerned that certain players will always be included in his side simply because they are his favourites -Nish being a classic example. Nish can be a handful but all too rarely, and often looks out of his depth and lost in games. But he is nearly always penned in for the next game.
Well if you have Hibernian tv then watch his latest interview -or any at that- and you'll see he's far from your assumption

noseyhibby
11-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Well if you have Hibernian tv then watch his latest interview -or any at that- and you'll see he's far from your assumption

I have just watched his latest interview this evening. This prompted me to type. but I take your point. I'm still a little concerned that he will always include his favourites, no matter how bad a run they might be on.

Alex Trager
11-03-2010, 08:54 PM
I have just watched his latest interview this evening. This prompted me to type. but I take your point. I'm still a little concerned that he will always include his favourites, no matter how bad a run they might be on.
He said on his bbc interview-for a joke,possibly-that Nish wasn't getting on:greengrin

Alex Trager
11-03-2010, 08:58 PM
but the fact is he sees them all week and can make better judgement than us- who see them for 90 minutes and lets be honest we do expect ten out of ten -which there's nout wrong with-but he sees them all week and understands what they can do

Hainan Hibs
11-03-2010, 08:59 PM
We don't see what goes on behind the scenes. I think Yogi will be going radge when needed.

BS44
11-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Nish has started 9 league games this season on the bench.

The Harp Awakes
12-03-2010, 12:56 AM
I think Yogi is spot on about Nish. I think big Colin should start in every game to the end of the season. He adds a different dimension to Hibs, tries like a bear and is a difficult player for defences to play against.

AK86
12-03-2010, 02:08 AM
Nish (like most of us on here):greengrin is a Hibee. He puts in his shift, scores a fair ratio of goals to games, and plays for the team, not just himself :agree:
That alone should at least give him the backing of the people who claim to be Hibs supporters. I have never seen anybody in life responding well to dogs abuse.
If any player isnt giving his all on the park , then yes they deserve the fans vitriol, otherwise i would suggest we back our players

HFC 0-7
12-03-2010, 08:13 AM
Nish (like most of us on here):greengrin is a Hibee. He puts in his shift, scores a fair ratio of goals to games, and plays for the team, not just himself :agree:
That alone should at least give him the backing of the people who claim to be Hibs supporters. I have never seen anybody in life responding well to dogs abuse.
If any player isnt giving his all on the park , then yes they deserve the fans vitriol, otherwise i would suggest we back our players

Rubbish! Its all about an even mix of effort and ability. If you have bags of effort but no real ability then you shouldnt be playing! If I was to go on that pitch I would give everything, I would be running so much I would cough a lung up, but I would still not be good enough.

Nish, for me, has served his purpose, but we are moving up a level now in terms of player, which can be seen in some of the signings we have made. When this happens players get left behind because they reach their peak. Nish is one of these players, he now looks a bit out his depth at times. If we want to progress as a club we cant be sentimental about existing players, we need to strive for the best, best players and best managers. As we keep progressing, as we are at the moment, there will be a few others that may not cut it and will find themselves in the same boat as Nish.

marinello59
12-03-2010, 08:20 AM

:agree:
I would go further and say I think Hibs generally play better as a team when Nish is involved.

Sudds_1
12-03-2010, 10:19 AM

my dog does.........:wink::greengrin

JimBHibees
12-03-2010, 10:23 AM
I would go further and say I think Hibs generally play better as a team when Nish is involved.

Tend to agree with that.

KWJ
12-03-2010, 10:38 AM
So would I. I think Riordan and Stokes appreciate having him alongside.

Do think we should be looking at a better replacement but I have no idea who that would be.

O'Connor ideally :wink:

dangermouse
12-03-2010, 10:46 AM

I think we really missed him last week against Kilmarnock. With the pitch in the sorry state it is he gives us a target for the long ball from the back.

:hijack: The upside of Nish not playing is the guy that sits in front of me can't vent his spleen every 5 seconds :grr:. He is becoming tedious and if I wasn't such a gentleman I'd have smacked him in the pus long ago. Wouldn't have set a good example to my son though.

Rant over.

HibeeMassive
12-03-2010, 10:51 AM
I'd be interested to see his stats for the matches he's played in terms of goals created etc.

Even games where he gets slated on here, and rightly so on some occasions, he has still managed to setup / score the only goal or played a key role in the build up play which leads to goals.

Yes he maybe looks a bit clumsy at times, but I think he's very effective when in the team and contributes as much, if not more, than some others.

I should also say that he does have games where he has a 'mare, but again - no more than some of the others in the team.

Andy74
12-03-2010, 11:41 AM
I'd prefer a big guy who was more mobile, actually gave defenses a physical battle and had half a chance of getting a head on crosses and corners.

Chris Killen for example ws an all round presence and goal threat, Kyle is more of a handful and more of an aerial threat, MAC seems to give defences a hard time.

I do appreciate Nish and think he has some nice touches and an eye for goal but as a physical presence or aerial threat he isn't the best.

RIP
12-03-2010, 12:09 PM
I'd prefer a big guy who was more mobile, actually gave defenses a physical battle and had half a chance of getting a head on crosses and corners.

Chris Killen for example ws an all round presence and goal threat, Kyle is more of a handful and more of an aerial threat, MAC seems to give defences a hard time.

I do appreciate Nish and think he has some nice touches and an eye for goal but as a physical presence or aerial threat he isn't the best.

Nish could count the decent crosses he's had this season on the fingers of one hand.

Agree 100% about his physique and have described him as a middleweight in with the heavyweights. Mind you he looks like he's bulked up this season over last and certainly is a heck of a lot fitter. If he can continue this progress we might see him continue to improve

RIP
12-03-2010, 12:10 PM
I think we really missed him last week against Kilmarnock. With the pitch in the sorry state it is he gives us a target for the long ball from the back.

:hijack: The upside of Nish not playing is the guy that sits in front of me can't vent his spleen every 5 seconds :grr:. He is becoming tedious and if I wasn't such a gentleman I'd have smacked him in the pus long ago. Wouldn't have set a good example to my son though.

Rant over.

Did you sit in the East towards the FF by any chance?

HFC 0-7
12-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Nish could count the decent crosses he's had this season on the fingers of one hand.

Agree 100% about his physique and have described him as a middleweight in with the heavyweights. Mind you he looks like he's bulked up this season over last and certainly is a heck of a lot fitter. If he can continue this progress we might see him continue to improve

When Yogi plays Nish, the game we play is not to get it wide and cross the ball, it is played to Nish through the middle to hold it up and link the forwards to the midfield, this is where Nish struggles, he isnt great at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. yes he can do it but only when he has time. Opposition know this and just put someone right on his back, Nish then struggles as he cant seem to control the ball and turn his man, something that Benji can do more easily but with benji you have a more lazy player. In terms of ability, Benji has a lot more, in terms of effort Nish has much more. For me you can make someone give more effort, but you cant give someone more ability. In terms of improvement, I think Nish has peaked, whereas benji can improve a lot more.

Long suffering
12-03-2010, 12:59 PM
Rubbish! Its all about an even mix of effort and ability. If you have bags of effort but no real ability then you shouldnt be playing! If I was to go on that pitch I would give everything, I would be running so much I would cough a lung up, but I would still not be good enough.

Nish, for me, has served his purpose, but we are moving up a level now in terms of player, which can be seen in some of the signings we have made. When this happens players get left behind because they reach their peak. Nish is one of these players, he now looks a bit out his depth at times. If we want to progress as a club we cant be sentimental about existing players, we need to strive for the best, best players and best managers. As we keep progressing, as we are at the moment, there will be a few others that may not cut it and will find themselves in the same boat as Nish.
I agree to a certain extent with you but what Hughes says about Hibs playing better with him is a fair point and i think he is right. Even if he shouldnt be playing every week, he is certaintly a fine squad player to have, same applies to rankin. Good teams still have plenty of average squad players.

HFC 0-7
12-03-2010, 02:31 PM
I agree to a certain extent with you but what Hughes says about Hibs playing better with him is a fair point and i think he is right. Even if he shouldnt be playing every week, he is certaintly a fine squad player to have, same applies to rankin. Good teams still have plenty of average squad players.

I think he is an OK squad player, Rankin as well, but I think if we want to be challenging for 3rd every season, and not fall away in the second half of the season like we have this season we need a better squad, and I think the likes of Nish and Rankin wont feature much. Its all about ambition and progress. If we want to keep moving forward we will need to keep getting better players or more out of the ones we have. When this happens the ones with limited ability will need to move on. IMO Nish has reached his level and hibs are begining to go past this. This is all good IMO, not because we move players like Nish along, but it does show that we are moving forward if players that were once considered good and an assett are no longer good enough.

RIP
12-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Did you sit in the East towards the FF by any chance?

When Yogi plays Nish, the game we play is not to get it wide and cross the ball, it is played to Nish through the middle to hold it up and link the forwards to the midfield, this is where Nish struggles, he isnt great at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

I think most fans agree the high ball to Nish is a poor tactic. We didn't like it under Mixu and we don't like it now. Nish is no target man and has said openly that he prefers the ball to feet.

In Zemmama and Galbraith we have two players capable of beating their man and putting in a fast cross. Both our full backs are also good at this. Derek and John are both great crossers of a ball.

Nish is an asset to the team but not built for hoofball. The sooner Yogi abandons this tactic the better!!

blackpoolhibs
12-03-2010, 04:03 PM
I think most fans agree the high ball to Nish is a poor tactic. We didn't like it under Mixu and we don't like it now. Nish is no target man and has said openly that he prefers the ball to feet.

In Zemmama and Galbraith we have two players capable of beating their man and putting in a fast cross. Both our full backs are also good at this. Derek and John are both great crossers of a ball.

Nish is an asset to the team but not built for hoofball. The sooner Yogi abandons this tactic the better!!

Yogi does not, and never has set the team up for hoofball.:confused: Its a combination of players not playing well, and the pitch being in the state it is, that's resulted in a longer game being played.

HFC 0-7
12-03-2010, 06:21 PM

Yogi has only adopted the long ball tactic recently in the light of the pitches. Previously, we played the ball to Nish's feet anh chest and this is what he isnt good at, he cant play with his back to goal. Nish isnt that great in the air so I dont know why playing crosses in all the time will help. Also, our best player just now is probably stokes and crosses probably wouldnt benefit him. Our best option just now is to get a link man, who is better than Nish to hold the ball up, bring the midfield into it and let stokes play off the last man with through balls.

I dont think changing all our tactics to get loads of crosses in just for Nish which wouldnt suit our best performer at the moment is the right thing to do.

Hibercelona
12-03-2010, 06:26 PM
We don't see what goes on behind the scenes. I think Yogi will be going radge when needed.

Yogi can be the number 1 radge in town when he needs to be. :agree:

He's simply keeping it quiet in front of the cameras.

No need for the added pressure.

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
12-03-2010, 08:08 PM
Yogi would like to see Ross County "back" in the spl? I think he got his wires crossed with ICT there - classic Yogi! As for Mr Nish, gonnae no start him Yogi...ees murder polis! :grr:

seanraff07
12-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Nish has started 9 league games this season on the bench.

Hibs Games so far in 2010..

This is a stat taken before last weeks match against Killie

Matches Nish has started:

P-8 W-5 D-3 L-0

Matches Nish hasn't started:

P-4 W-0 D-0 L-4

Some people might not rate him as highly as others in our team, but when he is playing he certainly makes the rest of the team play well, that can't just be a coincidence.

Sir David Gray
12-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I think the criticism that Colin Nish receives is well over the top. In my opinion he is a very useful part of our squad. He lays on chances for other players and also gets his fair share of goals as well.

He might not be the most aesthetically pleasing footballer in the world and he does have his fair share of stinkers, but I believe that he is an effective player to have in your squad and I think that we are a better side for having Colin Nish in our team.

Ray_
12-03-2010, 10:55 PM
but the fact is he sees them all week and can make better judgement than us- who see them for 90 minutes and lets be honest we do expect ten out of ten -which there's nout wrong with-but he sees them all week and understands what they can do

Not read the rest of the thread, but he may see them all week in training and they could be great, however, if they are not doing it on a regular basis on a match day, then they could look like Pele all week & it wouldn't matter a jot.

What counts is the match day and what they do then, after all, that is what the rest of the week is geared up for and it is also the time when we get to see and judge them.

Hibby 2005
12-03-2010, 11:22 PM
I think he is an OK squad player, Rankin as well, but I think if we want to be challenging for 3rd every season, and not fall away in the second half of the season like we have this season we need a better squad, and I think the likes of Nish and Rankin wont feature much. Its all about ambition and progress. If we want to keep moving forward we will need to keep getting better players or more out of the ones we have. When this happens the ones with limited ability will need to move on. IMO Nish has reached his level and hibs are begining to go past this. This is all good IMO, not because we move players like Nish along, but it does show that we are moving forward if players that were once considered good and an assett are no longer good enough.

Well said, but it's down to Yogi to find better replacements. Having said that, if more wingers like Galbraith had been playing recently I think Nish would have benefited as he would be getting on the end of crosses rather than upfield punts.