PDA

View Full Version : Turnbull's terrors in 7 goal blast ..

MSK
10-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Here's a wee trip down memory lane folks...enjoy

October 1972

Hibs..7 v FC Besa ..1

Magical hibs booked their quarter final place in the European cup winners cup in magnificent style at Easter Road last night....

Once again Turnbull's tornadoes hammered out a warning to all europe with a fantastic seven goal rout of Albanians FC Besa.

Turnbull had forecast a green & white blitzkreig on the men from the Balkans...and once again his forecast was bang on.

Hibs teased, tormented & finally tore the heart out of the plucky, but completely outclassed Besa side. No praise can be too great for hibs this morning. They took all the strain, all the worry out of what could have been a rough journey to Albania for the second leg with seven magnificent goals.

It was almost an exact repeat of the humiliation of Sporting Lisbon...with one more goal thrown in as a bonus to the 22,293 fans.

And if anyone doubted hibs right to a place in the elite of Europe...then that doubt must surely be rubbed out today. For hibs booked that place in the last eight with a flurry of goals & attacking soccer which was reminiscent of vintage Celtic.

Crashed

Besa had no answer to hibs style, class & finishing power. Two goals within 90 seconds in the first half gave hibs the interval lead they wanted, but yet again it was the second-half which will be indelibly printed in hibs fans minds this morning.

For in a magnificent spell, hibs cracked in five wonderful goals in only 12 minutes, to hoist themselves into near favouritism for the tournament. Right from the opening whistle hibs stormed in on Besa. The Albanians goal had several escapes before hibs finally rocked them with a super one two.

The first goal came in the 11th minute...and even at that it was overdue. Alan Gordon crashed in a left foot shot which beat Besa keeper Arkazhiu but hit the crossbar, Alex Cropley, however was right on the spot to head home.

As the hibs fans went wild, Besa crumpled & 90 seconds later Jimmy O'Rourke grabbed a second from close in after a head flick from Gordon. The Albanians had no answer to what was to come after the interval.

The goal glut started eight minutes after the interval when Cropley raced onto a through ball from Stanton. He beat two defenders before slipping the ball back for O'Rourke to ram it home.

Two minutes later Edwards sent Brownlie clear on the right, the full back raced deep into the penalty area & slammed hibs four ahead.

Four minutes later hibs had their place in the glittering quarter finals assured when Arthur Duncan moved inside, tricked his way past two defenders & hammered in a great right foot shot.

Perfect

In the 62nd minute O'Rourke hustled his way through the middle to grab his hat-trick & hibs 6th goal. And three minutes after this came the goal of the match when Gordon teed one up perfectly for Duncan to score with a raging left foot shot from 25 yards.

The Albanians- sporting throughout- got a consolation goal in the 67th minute when Kariqi scored....but it will make no difference to the end result.

Hibs- Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan...subs - Hazel, Hamilton, Davidson, Murray, McGhee

Hibby Gav
10-03-2010, 03:08 PM
OMG...that was my very first game ...boy did that give me false hopes.....I think we also beat FC Rosenberg 9-1 in the same year?....they scored first !....happy days :agree:

Hamish
10-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Now that WAS a football team.

Didn't our favourite Aberdonian have to shave his beard to allow him to enter Albania or is my mind playing tricks?

Hamish
10-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Just checked and ''our Joey' didn't sign till 1974 so I am talking pants - maybe it was on Scotland duty, but I do remember him on the back of the EN with the full beard.

--------
OMG...that was my very first game ...boy did that give me false hopes.....I think we also beat FC Rosenberg 9-1 in the same year?....they scored first !....happy days :agree:

No, Rosenborg was a different season. We did, however, tank Sporting Club of portugal 6-1 at ER in the round before the Beza game. Jim O'Rourke scored a hat-trick against them too. Not many players score hat-tricks in successive European ties....

therealgavmac

October 1972

Hibs..7 v FC Besa ..1

Magical hibs booked their quarter final place in the European cup winners cup in magnificent style at Easter Road last night....

Once again Turnbull's tornadoes hammered out a warning to all europe with a fantastic seven goal rout of Albanians FC Besa.

Turnbull had forecast a green & white blitzkreig on the men from the Balkans...and once again his forecast was bang on.

Hibs teased, tormented & finally tore the heart out of the plucky, but completely outclassed Besa side. No praise can be too great for hibs this morning. They took all the strain, all the worry out of what could have been a rough journey to Albania for the second leg with seven magnificent goals.

It was almost an exact repeat of the humiliation of Sporting Lisbon...with one more goal thrown in as a bonus to the 22,293 fans.

And if anyone doubted hibs right to a place in the elite of Europe...then that doubt must surely be rubbed out today. For hibs booked that place in the last eight with a flurry of goals & attacking soccer which was reminiscent of vintage Celtic.

Crashed

Besa had no answer to hibs style, class & finishing power. Two goals within 90 seconds in the first half gave hibs the interval lead they wanted, but yet again it was the second-half which will be indelibly printed in hibs fans minds this morning.

For in a magnificent spell, hibs cracked in five wonderful goals in only 12 minutes, to hoist themselves into near favouritism for the tournament. Right from the opening whistle hibs stormed in on Besa. The Albanians goal had several escapes before hibs finally rocked them with a super one two.

The first goal came in the 11th minute...and even at that it was overdue. Alan Gordon crashed in a left foot shot which beat Besa keeper Arkazhiu but hit the crossbar, Alex Cropley, however was right on the spot to head home.

As the hibs fans went wild, Besa crumpled & 90 seconds later Jimmy O'Rourke grabbed a second from close in after a head flick from Gordon. The Albanians had no answer to what was to come after the interval.

The goal glut started eight minutes after the interval when Cropley raced onto a through ball from Stanton. He beat two defenders before slipping the ball back for O'Rourke to ram it home.

Two minutes later Edwards sent Brownlie clear on the right, the full back raced deep into the penalty area & slammed hibs four ahead.

Four minutes later hibs had their place in the glittering quarter finals assured when Arthur Duncan moved inside, tricked his way past two defenders & hammered in a great right foot shot.

Perfect

In the 62nd minute O'Rourke hustled his way through the middle to grab his hat-trick & hibs 6th goal. And three minutes after this came the goal of the match when Gordon teed one up perfectly for Duncan to score with a raging left foot shot from 25 yards.

The Albanians- sporting throughout- got a consolation goal in the 67th minute when Kariqi scored....but it will make no difference to the end result.

Hibs- Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan...subs - Hazel, Hamilton, Davidson, Murray, McGhee

This team still brings a lump to my throat - how privileged I was!

MSK
10-03-2010, 03:33 PM
No, Rosenborg was a different season. We did, however, tank Sporting Club of portugal 6-1 at ER in the round before the Beza game. Jim O'Rourke scored a hat-trick against them too. Not many players score hat-tricks in successive European ties....Yip Rosenborg was October 74 ..we won the first leg away 3-2 ..scorers for hibs that night were Stanton, Gordon & Harper ...

Scorers in the 9-1 game were ... Harper (2)...Munro (2) ..Stanton (2)..Cropley (2) & Gordon ...

--------
10-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Now that WAS a football team.

Didn't our favourite Aberdonian have to shave his beard to allow him to enter Albania or is my mind playing tricks?

If That Wee Scrote had gone to Albania, I'd have been on the phone to their embassy to tell them he was a CIA assassin sent to kill their president.... tell 'em to arrest him and torture him until he told them everything about the plan.

GRRRRR!!!! :grr:

dawn
10-03-2010, 03:35 PM
[/URL][url]http://picasaweb.google.com/createdbydawn/Hibernian (http://picasaweb.google.com/createdbydawn/Hibernian)

Link (hope it works) to various team and player photos, some awesome hairdo's in here as well as great memories.:thumbsup:

Hamish
10-03-2010, 03:37 PM
If That Wee Scrote had gone to Albania, I'd have been on the phone to their embassy to tell them he was a CIA assassin sent to kill their president.... tell 'em to arrest him and torture him until he told them everything about the plan.

GRRRRR!!!! :grr:

Obviously a favourite of yours Doddie:greengrin
Not one of Eddie's best managerial decisions I am sure most of us around that age will agree.

I do remember him scoring at Tynie against Falkirk in a LC semi???

erskine-hibby
10-03-2010, 03:41 PM

October 1972

Hibs..7 v FC Besa ..1

Crashed

Perfect

Ah yes I remember it well:thumbsup:

Didn't think there were 22000 fans there though, but then again I was glued to what was happening on the pitch:greengrin

--------
10-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Nice picture of Mickey getting ready for a training session, though....http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OX8IOc_cXuM/S4gweZN-pqI/AAAAAAAAAuo/5-ryAf5LEDg/s512/Hibs%20Mickey%20Weir%201988.jpg

Andy74
10-03-2010, 03:48 PM
It's a shame that I, and anyone born in the 70s onwards will never see Hibs at that level.

--------
10-03-2010, 03:52 PM
http://picasaweb.google.com/createdbydawn/Hibernian (http://picasaweb.google.com/createdbydawn/Hibernian)

Link (hope it works) to various team and player photos, some awesome hairdo's in here as well as great memories.:thumbsup:

Worked like a dream

Thanks a million - a lot of fond memories in there.

Cheers, mate. :thumbsup:

MSK
10-03-2010, 03:59 PM
It's a shame that I, and anyone born in the 70s onwards will never see Hibs at that level.I started going late 70's Andy...like you though i never got to see them playing at that level ..im drooling just reading about the game above & hibs v Leeds ...Hibs v Liverpool ..Hadjuk Split ..Hamburg ..Juventus ...Sochaux ..etc etc ..

I was at the Norkopping & Strasbourg games ...:rolleyes:

MSK
10-03-2010, 04:00 PM
Nice picture of Mickey getting ready for a training session, though....http://lh4.ggpht.com/_OX8IOc_cXuM/S4gweZN-pqI/AAAAAAAAAuo/5-ryAf5LEDg/s512/Hibs%20Mickey%20Weir%201988.jpgThat was him clearing out George Best's locker ...:party:

dawn
10-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Worked like a dream

Thanks a million - a lot of fond memories in there.

Cheers, mate. :thumbsup:

Your welcome, its an on going project which I will be adding loads more of images to!

--------
10-03-2010, 04:02 PM
That was him clearing out George Best's locker ...:party:

I thought it was his first month's salary, actually.

Didn't Kenny Waugh once pay Jim O'Rourke some arrears of pay in cases of vodka?

Mighta kept Chic Charnley happy - I don't think Seamus was too amused.

Leithenhibby
10-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Wonderful stuff, will we see the likes again?, I'm hopeful..:wink:

Just so Andy74 & Happyhibbie can have the joy, buzz and tears that us old ones had to put up with. :greengrin Magic times indeed.

greenlex
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM
Your welcome, its an on going project which I will be adding loads more of images to!

Thanks Dawn. Unashamed to say I have nicked one for my Avatar. :thumbsup:

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2010, 04:10 PM

You just have to look at that subs bench to realise just why they only won the league cup, and a couple of drybourgh cups. If they could have had a couple of quality subs, they surely would have won the league.:boo hoo: Great times though, and some fantastic memories for us a little older than Andy.:wink:

greenlex
10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
You just have to look at that subs bench to realise just why they only won the league cup, and a couple of drybourgh cups. If they could have had a couple of quality subs, they surely would have won the league.:boo hoo: Great times though, and some fantastic memories for us a little older than Andy.:wink:
The Davidson on the bench is the Brother of Eric Davidson the Nitten Poet who did LeithenHibby's charity doo.

MSK
10-03-2010, 04:13 PM
Wonderful stuff, will we see the likes again?, I'm hopeful..:wink:

Just so Andy74 & Happyhibbie can have the joy, buzz and tears that us old ones had to put up with. :greengrin Magic times indeed.Please ...:pray:.....its no much tae ask for is it ...:greengrin

dawn
10-03-2010, 04:15 PM
Thanks Dawn. Unashamed to say I have nicked one for my Avatar. :thumbsup:

Thats fine, we wouldnae be good hibbys if we didnae chore stuff!:greengrin

RIP
10-03-2010, 05:37 PM
The season of the hat-tricks that was

We should have gone further - leading Hadjuk Split 4-1 in the Quarter-Finals before conceding a late goal. Then getting cuffed 0-3 in the away leg :boo hoo:

Hibby Gav
10-03-2010, 05:47 PM
No, Rosenborg was a different season. We did, however, tank Sporting Club of portugal 6-1 at ER in the round before the Beza game. Jim O'Rourke scored a hat-trick against them too. Not many players score hat-tricks in successive European ties....

Cheers mate ! :greengrin

PatHead
10-03-2010, 05:55 PM
The Davidson on the bench is the Brother of Eric Davidson the Nitten Poet who did LeithenHibby's charity doo.

Broke his leg the week before the "greatest game in history" and never made the breakthrough after that. Think he ended up at Dunfermline.

noseyhibby
10-03-2010, 07:14 PM
This team still brings a lump to my throat - how privileged I was!

I second that:boo hoo:

stu in nottingham
10-03-2010, 09:51 PM
[...]

Hibs- Herriot, Brownlie, Schaedler, Stanton, Black, Blackley, Edwards, O'Rourke, Gordon, Cropley, Duncan

Thanks for sharing buddy, happy memories indeed.

Just reading that line up back to myself makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I can feel the excitement, dynamism and vitality of that superb team by just simply reading through the names.

What a team.

Risboro Hibby
10-03-2010, 10:05 PM
I also remember this game so well. I went with my mate who was then and still Is a fanatical Yam.

In our long friendship this is one of the very few games I can remember going with him too.

We were that good that night even he was cheering the Hibs goals, mind you he denies it now, when I remind him off it.

MSK
10-03-2010, 10:07 PM
Thanks for sharing buddy, happy memories indeed.

Just reading that line up back to myself makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. I can feel the excitement, dynamism and vitality of that superb team by just simply reading through the names.

What a team.Yer welcome Stu ..i love the fact that many on here can relate to those players..that era & indeed that particular game...whilst myself & others that bit younger are left with paper cuttings/books/photo's/old tv footage & of course your memories that you share on here ...if i could turn back time ..:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
10-03-2010, 10:12 PM
Fabulous trip down memory lane. I seem to recall another seven goal blast the Tornadoes were involved in...it would be late 72 or very early 73? My memory is a bit jaded and i'd be obliged if somebody could help me out here.

MSK
10-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Fabulous trip down memory lane. I seem to recall another seven goal blast the Tornadoes were involved in...it would be late 72 or very early 73? My memory is a bit jaded and i'd be obliged if somebody could help me out here.That was gonna be my other one the morn ...:thumbsup:

Iggy Pope
10-03-2010, 10:15 PM
Obviously a favourite of yours Doddie:greengrin
Not one of Eddie's best managerial decisions I am sure most of us around that age will agree.

I do remember him scoring at Tynie against Falkirk in a LC semi???

You remember right. Dragged Hibs through a game they might have lost.
Got a hat trick in the final too where another bout of dreadful Hampden defending got us battered by Celtic.

Again.

And he got a winner v Liverpool at ER in the UEFA cup.
And a 30 yard belter to beat the sparryheids in the first ever Premier League derby.

So things were not all bad with Harper all the time but they sure as anything weren't always rosy with the rest of that side either and Eddie made a lot of bad decisions in his time it pains me to say.

nonshinyfinish
10-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Fabulous trip down memory lane. I seem to recall another seven goal blast the Tornadoes were involved in...it would be late 72 or very early 73? My memory is a bit jaded and i'd be obliged if somebody could help me out here.

Are you talking about that season where on the final day the champions elect lost 2-0, while another club won 5-0, the former club thus jettisoning their championship hopes in a spectacular, erm, seven goal blast, as you term it?

Or are you thinking of something else? :dunno:

snooky
10-03-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm sure I have the FC Besa programme upstairs somewhere. I'll try & dig it out and refresh my memory of the pre-match comments etc.

Hainan Hibs
10-03-2010, 10:34 PM
I unfortunately never got to see a team like that but reading through that starting line up even for me it is something special! How times have changed.

Wing Half
10-03-2010, 10:49 PM

Nice one dawn but the one labelled as Hibs Rangers at Hampden April 1972 is actually the Scottish Cup Final in May 72. I'm wearing the hat behind the laddie wi' the HIBERNIAN scarf.

Argylehibby
10-03-2010, 11:08 PM

Pretty sure that was Danny McGrain when Celicfootballclub played there.

greenlex
10-03-2010, 11:17 PM
Broke his leg the week before the "greatest game in history" and never made the breakthrough after that. Think he ended up at Dunfermline.

Indeed. Had the chance to go to The New York Cosmos with Pele and Becenbaur but did not go for whatever reason when he played for the pars.

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2010, 01:00 AM
Are you talking about that season where on the final day the champions elect lost 2-0, while another club won 5-0, the former club thus jettisoning their championship hopes in a spectacular, erm, seven goal blast, as you term it?

Or are you thinking of something else? :dunno:

No, I'm sure this one was earlier. What was the one you were thinking of?

Lucius Apuleius
11-03-2010, 05:53 AM
Absolutely superb team and my argument sill stands to get rid of all this 442 433 4321 or whatever and get back to 2-3-5. Way to go. Still got the picture on my wall of that team. Given to me by a Hibby in Rockingham, Australia before he passed away.

nonshinyfinish
11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
No, I'm sure this one was earlier. What was the one you were thinking of?

I'm really not sure. Images of it appear and then melt away as if in a dream, but the one that persists is some sort of moustachioed superman in dark blue, celebrating with his arm aloft. :confused:

Perhaps somebody has video footage of this event?

ehf
11-03-2010, 01:35 PM
We should have gone further - leading Hadjuk Split 4-1 in the Quarter-Finals before conceding a late goal. Then getting cuffed 0-3 in the away leg :boo hoo:

In retrospect, that away leg in Split was one of the most important matches ever and, as usual, we blew it big style. 90 minutes away from a major European Semi Final with a two goal lead. Was just a kid but remember listening to it on the radio (late afternoon, our time, I think) and being inconsolable. Think they were 2-0 up fairly early on but we just couldn't get one back. Would be good to know who Hadjuk faced in the Semi...:boo hoo:

Hainan Hibs
11-03-2010, 01:40 PM
In retrospect, that away leg in Split was one of the most important matches ever and, as usual, we blew it big style. 90 minutes away from a major European Semi Final with a two goal lead. Was just a kid but remember listening to it on the radio (late afternoon, our time, I think) and being inconsolable. Think they were 2-0 up fairly early on but we just couldn't get one back. Would be good to know who Hadjuk faced in the Semi...:boo hoo:

The most depressing thing about that post for me was the radio part. I'm living in Aberdeen and get excited about listening on radio to away games against the likes of Hamilton and Killie, but you got the chance to listen to a European QF against Hadjuk Split:boo hoo: