PDA

View Full Version : Amir Khan V Paulie Malignaggi confirmed

Pretty Boy
09-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Amir Khan is to defend his WBA light welterweight title against Paulie Malignaggi in New York on 15th May.

Personally i think this fight is a lot closer than the bookies will have it. The Magic Man looks like a pretty boy but he's a real warrior. Suffered a broken jaw against Miguel Cotto(who can bang) early and still went the distance. His only stoppage was against Ricky Hatton, even then he was never really in danger of being knocked out, the decision was purely by his corner as he was losing rounds, couldn't cope with Hattons swarming style and doesn't have the power to KO many fighters. Malignaggi is fast, awkward and his hand speed is easily the match of Khan. However his downfall will be that he can't take advantage of Khans biggest weakness, his chin. He has no right hand at all due to so many breaks and operations.

Khan just gets better everytime i see him, however he is still a work in progress. He is fast, has power and his defense is so much tighter under Freddie Roach, he also has an ability to stick to a game plan these days which will help him no end.

Khan comes in after a hugely impressive win against Salita, Malignaggi likewise on the back of a win after avenging a shockingly incorrect points defeat against Juan Diaz, a top lightweight.

For me Khan win this by a close UD, Malignaggi has a great chin, won't get hit a lot and will spoil up close all night if he has to. However as i said he can't take advantage of Khans biggest weakness. Also i think Khan is on the rise, will be a bit too sharp, a bit too powerful and a bit too big for Malignaggi.

Should be an exciting fight and should line Khan up for a defense against his mandatory Manuel Maidana or possibly Juan Manuel Marquez.

Woody1985
09-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Is that the guy that Calzaghe slapped around?

Edit; Was maybe thinking of Hatton.

IIRC the guy looked **** scared to be in the same ring as him.

Pretty Boy
09-03-2010, 09:53 PM
Is that the guy that Calzaghe slapped around?

Edit; Was maybe thinking of Hatton.

IIRC the guy looked **** scared to be in the same ring as him.

Was Hatton who beat him. TBH i was disappointed in Paulie that night. He showed against Cotto he's no mug but he changed trainer to Buddy McGirt and for some reason he was coached to start pot shotting and holding constantly, this left him open to getting hit on the inside, something you don't want to be exposed to against Ricky Hatton.

Malignaggi is a warrior though and theres no way he will be fazed by Khans power, if he can take the bombs Cotto throws in full flow, he can stand up to Amir Khan.

Hainan Hibs
11-03-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't like Khan, most probably because of the hype surrounding him before. never get tired of the video of him getting KO'ed:greengrin

Mon Paulie:thumbsup:

Dashing Bob S
11-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Amir Khan is to defend his WBA light welterweight title against Paulie Malignaggi in New York on 15th May.

Personally i think this fight is a lot closer than the bookies will have it. The Magic Man looks like a pretty boy but he's a real warrior. Suffered a broken jaw against Miguel Cotto(who can bang) early and still went the distance. His only stoppage was against Ricky Hatton, even then he was never really in danger of being knocked out, the decision was purely by his corner as he was losing rounds, couldn't cope with Hattons swarming style and doesn't have the power to KO many fighters. Malignaggi is fast, awkward and his hand speed is easily the match of Khan. However his downfall will be that he can't take advantage of Khans biggest weakness, his chin. He has no right hand at all due to so many breaks and operations.

Khan just gets better everytime i see him, however he is still a work in progress. He is fast, has power and his defense is so much tighter under Freddie Roach, he also has an ability to stick to a game plan these days which will help him no end.

Khan comes in after a hugely impressive win against Salita, Malignaggi likewise on the back of a win after avenging a shockingly incorrect points defeat against Juan Diaz, a top lightweight.

For me Khan win this by a close UD, Malignaggi has a great chin, won't get hit a lot and will spoil up close all night if he has to. However as i said he can't take advantage of Khans biggest weakness. Also i think Khan is on the rise, will be a bit too sharp, a bit too powerful and a bit too big for Malignaggi.

Should be an exciting fight and should line Khan up for a defense against his mandatory Manuel Maidana or possibly Juan Manuel Marquez.

Very sharp analysis of this encounter FH, but I wonder if Malignaggi is perhaps just that bit past his best now?

hibsdaft
11-03-2010, 09:52 PM
great fight for Khan to introduce himself to the US, but for reasons that undermine the sport of boxing - choosing to fight a guy with no K/o punch over his mandatory defence vs Maidana.

i think Khan will impress on the night though, and they'll keep picking the right fights for him no doubt, by all accounts Khan himself was up for fighting JMM, Maidana or whoever though and it doesn't do his name any good his promotions/ management so blatantly ducking fighters who pose a threat to his money-making potential (which right now is absolutely massive if things go according to plan).

Pretty Boy
12-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Very sharp analysis of this encounter FH, but I wonder if Malignaggi is perhaps just that bit past his best now?

I think you could be right. All the talk coming out of the Malignaggi camp is that he's better than ever, in great shape etc etc. Whether that's the truth is another matter altogether. He changed trainers for the Diaz fights and looked good in both of them, the first one was daylight robbery as he controlled the fight from the start and schooled Diaz, how he lost the decision i'll never know, the second fight he won by miles. I tend to agree he may be just a bit over the hill now, he's benn in a few warsand i think it may have taken it's toll. As i say Khan by UD or possible a late TKO.

Also for anyone interested theres a very interesting piece on the BBC site about Leith Victoria boxing club.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/8558736.stm