PDA

View Full Version : Ólafur Gottskálksson

goosano
09-03-2010, 08:38 PM
Remember him?

An Icelandic friend has just emailed me to say that he has just been sent down for ten months for breaking into a house and duffing up the owner

davym7062
09-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Remember him?

An Icelandic friend has just emailed me to say that he has just been sent down for ten months for breaking into a house and duffing up the owner

probably dropped the swag:greengrin

_hucks_
09-03-2010, 08:41 PM
IIRC he did a runner after being drug tested then asking to see a list of banned substances. (some point after hibs this was though)

zlatan
09-03-2010, 08:45 PM
Remember him?

He got them relegated?

DC_Hibs
09-03-2010, 08:52 PM
wikipedia says,,,,,,,,,

Personal life
In October 2009 the Reykjanes district court charged Ólafur along with a younger accomplice, with burglary and assault.

Pedantic_Hibee
09-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Pretty ironic that he barged into someone's home considering he was never really safe as houses as a goalkeeper :agree:

GraniteCityHibs
09-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Big Ollie!

WOW, what a blast from the past!!

NadeAteMyLunch!
09-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Oli was where it all started to go disgustingly bad for us as far as keepers was concerned :boo hoo: I remember(like Maka)really wanting to like him but consistently feeling as if he was kicking me in the balls! Will never forget a home game against Motherwell, in either our play-off season or the resulting season when we went down, where we desperately needed three points...we went one up relatively early on and then held on until the 92nd min wen a 'Well player hit the pishest, tamest shot ever and Oli somehow managed to spill it at their strikers feet for a tap in :boo hoo::boo hoo: I remember jst sittin, rooted to my seat for about 5 mins after the final whistle thinkin 'we really are now ****ed'

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-03-2010, 09:47 PM
Remember him?

John Terry in reverse then? He went into a house and got the owner up the duff.

.Sean.
09-03-2010, 09:47 PM
:faf:

iwasthere1972
09-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Remember him?

Was that not banned in Iceland years go. :greengrin

steviehfc
09-03-2010, 09:52 PM
probably dropped the swag:greengrin:faf::faf::faf::top marks

Keith_M
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
Wonder who's comforting the wife. She was a honey!

:greengrin

nonshinyfinish
09-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Will never forget a home game against Motherwell, in either our play-off season or the resulting season when we went down, where we desperately needed three points...we went one up relatively early on and then held on until the 92nd min wen a 'Well player hit the pishest, tamest shot ever and Oli somehow managed to spill it at their strikers feet for a tap in :boo hoo::boo hoo: I remember jst sittin, rooted to my seat for about 5 mins after the final whistle thinkin 'we really are now ****ed'

I was at that game, Oli launched the ball at Owen Coyle's feet. :bitchy:

If memory serves then Darren Dods scored his only goal for us that day.

Toaods
09-03-2010, 10:25 PM
Good Post

Pretty Boy
09-03-2010, 10:47 PM
Oli was decent enough in the 1st division but he was never an SPL goalkeeper, another Jim Duffy legend really. The fact he replaced Jim Leighton just made it even harder to watch.

It seems his life has gone a wee bit off the rails in recent years, IIRC he had a pretty serious soulder injury which put him out the game for quite some time. Then came the runner after the drugs test, i remember hearing a few rumours that he enjoyed smoking a certain substance whilst at ER(just a rumour so if it's not appropriate feel free to remove).

This latest episode is really sad and pretty shocking. Not going to be too quick to judge though as you never know what situation you could find yourself or a family member in someday. Wish the big man all the best turning his life around in the future.

Mixu62
09-03-2010, 11:48 PM
I clearly remember big Ollie even though I've tried so hard to forget. The East used to try to come up with songs for him, (Iceland's number 1 etc) but then there'd be another howler and we just gave up! Heard somewhere he was an international basketball player for Iceland too, but don't know if that's true.

hibee4life1983
09-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Olly' what a right tosh keeper, nitemare. he was supposedly brilliant at basketball, he even represented Iceland at it, my bro's m8 played against him and said he was top notch and didnt drop anything, how he got a fitba contract i dont know, i would say he was better than that ba5.tard zibby, he broke me. Mentaly.

SvenNeil
10-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Met him in a bar many years ago - ok guy who was happy to chat.

I like the quote about him in 'Heartfelt' though when it described his goalkeeping style as '...a drunk trying to catch a balloon' :greengrin

blackhibee
10-03-2010, 12:40 AM
I remember him for the cup game against DU at Tannadice. Oh Dear.....

rainman
10-03-2010, 01:58 AM
:singing:Ollie Ollie Get to f***. Ollie, get to f***. Ollie Ollie get to f***!:singing:

I wonder if he points to this song at the end of the Motherwell game as the turning point in his life. Since then it's been failed drug tests, running from the authorities, burglary and assault.

Pish or not, that was shameful that day.

greenlad
10-03-2010, 06:57 AM
I remember him for the cup game against DU at Tannadice. Oh Dear.....

Chris Reid played in that game

WestSideHibby
10-03-2010, 07:46 AM
I was at that game, Oli launched the ball at Owen Coyle's feet. :bitchy:

If memory serves then Darren Dods scored his only goal for us that day.

Had a season ticket right behind the spot where he did that. Not many times I've seen such a collective holding of head in hands.

Anyone who complains about Maka should be made to watch a compilation of Oli's greatest moments to put things into perspective.

Agree that he was where it all started going wrong goalie-wise, but I guess when you've been used to Jim Leighton anything would be downhill.

Jamesie
10-03-2010, 07:55 AM
:singing:Ollie Ollie Get to f***. Ollie, get to f***. Ollie Ollie get to f***!:singing:

I wonder if he points to this song at the end of the Motherwell game as the turning point in his life. Since then it's been failed drug tests, running from the authorities, burglary and assault.

Pish or not, that was shameful that day.

When you think back to that, Zibi and Simon Brown really got away scot free for their pishness.

Rivers Cuomo
10-03-2010, 09:30 AM
You ken he saved a penatly from Kevin Crabbe (I think) early on in the game in Div 1 where we beat Falkirk to come back up. Same game as Sauzee's raker

HibbyScott
10-03-2010, 09:48 AM
You ken he saved a penatly from Kevin Crabbe (I think) early on in the game in Div 1 where we beat Falkirk to come back up. Same game as Sauzee's raker

I'm sure (100% certain) that the game we won to come back up was against Hamilton at Firhill. We were in the Jackie Husband Stand (across from the old main stand) and there was a massive pitch invasion at the end. I was trying to dig up a bit of turf as a momento (was 10 years old) when a steward tried to come over to stop me, and a policeman told him not to be so ridiculous :greengrin

Bayern Bru
10-03-2010, 11:04 AM
I'm sure (100% certain) that the game we won to come back up was against Hamilton at Firhill. We were in the Jackie Husband Stand (across from the old main stand) and there was a massive pitch invasion at the end. I was trying to dig up a bit of turf as a momento (was 10 years old) when a steward tried to come over to stop me, and a policeman told him not to be so ridiculous :greengrin

Yes, you're right. I lost my scarf that day :boo hoo: probably in the mad melée as we all stormed onto the pitch. I would've been about 10 as well, but that was definitely the game in which we won promotion. The Falkirk game was our chance to celebrate it at ER.

HibbyScott
10-03-2010, 11:09 AM
Yes, you're right. I lost my scarf that day :boo hoo: probably in the mad melée as we all stormed onto the pitch. I would've been about 10 as well, but that was definitely the game in which we won promotion. The Falkirk game was our chance to celebrate it at ER.

I've got the program still and everything :greengrin Remember running across to the tunnel end of Firhill and everyone shouting "**** Aberdeen McLeish" since they were reported to be interested in him at the time

Bayern Bru
10-03-2010, 11:12 AM
I've got the program still and everything :greengrin Remember running across to the tunnel end of Firhill and everyone shouting "**** Aberdeen McLeish" since they were reported to be interested in him at the time

Yeah, I remember it like it was yesterday. Also remembering everyone shouting 'We want Hibs' but the stewards wouldn't let them come out (and probably quite sensibly). IIRC I spent most of the walk back to the car lamenting the loss of the 'lucky' scarf - but realising I'd not noticed losing it 'cause I was so ecstatic about Hibs being champions!

...did Oli play that day? :greengrin I honestly don't remember if it was him or someone else.

Baldy Foghorn
10-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Yeah, I remember it like it was yesterday. Also remembering everyone shouting 'We want Hibs' but the stewards wouldn't let them come out (and probably quite sensibly). IIRC I spent most of the walk back to the car lamenting the loss of the 'lucky' scarf - but realising I'd not noticed losing it 'cause I was so ecstatic about Hibs being champions!

...did Oli play that day? :greengrin I honestly don't remember if it was him or someone else.

Oli was definitely in goals, he pushed me as I ran past him, big muppet:wink:

Jack
10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Old age creeping in here. Was he the Jolly Green Giant?

--------
10-03-2010, 02:07 PM

Yup. The Falkirk game was the last of the season, with a full house and the trophy presented to Yogi at the end.

We should have won the league at Clydebank the week before Firhill, but we never do things the easy way. 3-0 against partick and a record points total did the job, though.

I always said that Duffy's mistake was going to Iceland for a goalie.

He should have gone to Marks & Spencer.... :devil:

Matty_Jack04
10-03-2010, 06:36 PM
Olly' what a right tosh keeper, nitemare. he was supposedly brilliant at basketball, he even represented Iceland at it, my bro's m8 played against him and said he was top notch and didnt drop anything, how he got a fitba contract i dont know, i would say he was better than that ba5.tard zibby, he broke me. Mentaly.

I remember going to east end park the season we went down, standing watching the goalies warm up big Oli was firing shots at brian gunn from 20yards each one hitting the top corner! the big fella maybe deployed in the wrong position. IIRC brian welsh scored deep in injury time to prolong the agony of relegation in that game.

Pretty Boy
10-03-2010, 06:47 PM
I remember going to east end park the season we went down, standing watching the goalies warm up big Oli was firing shots at brian gunn from 20yards each one hitting the top corner! the big fella maybe deployed in the wrong position. IIRC brian welsh scored deep in injury time to prolong the agony of relegation in that game.

Remember that game well, huge Hibs support that day who got right behind the team.

Grant Brebner scored an OG after playing out his skin to try and keep us up single handed that season, Welsh scored in injury time, no idea if it crossed the line or not as i think it was the linesman who gave it, remember Bryan Gunn charging up the park for about 5 corners in a row.

If Alex McLeish had got the Hibs job about 5 or 6 weeks earlier there is no way we would have gone down that season.

TRC
10-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Seem to remember him letting one through his legs on a really pish turf can't remember if it was ER or not but theshot was going bout 2mph and just let it slip through his legs. worst part was that had to go and sit wioth my yam uncle afterwards for family dinner never forget that night, went for him with a butter knife, no harm done though, we had can't believe it's not butter that night i tell him now i cant believe HOMOFC are football club any more!