PDA

View Full Version : 20 years since my last away derby

Kermit the frog
09-03-2010, 04:33 PM
It's been around 20 years since I last saw a derby at Tynecastle. Gave in to my son to take him for the first time! And I can still remember Stevie Archibald scoring the winner like it was yesterday! But here is my question what has changed since then and what can we expect in terms of atmosphere and or abuse?

hibbybrian
09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
It's been around 20 years since I last saw a derby at Tynecastle. Gave in to my son to take him for the first time! And I can still remember Stevie Archibald scoring the winner like it was yesterday!

YouTube - Archie For Hibs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=luB0aej4_rE)

MSK
09-03-2010, 04:50 PM
It's been around 20 years since I last saw a derby at Tynecastle. Gave in to my son to take him for the first time! And I can still remember Stevie Archibald scoring the winner like it was yesterday! But here is my question what has changed since then and what can we expect in terms of atmosphere and or abuse?Where do i start .:greengrin.?.....lets see ...it still honks ..it honks to high heaven ...its very pink looking....5556 ...fans are still as ugly as ever....you will get abuse from the spotty nerdy types that crawl around that cess pit of a place ...you will get the usual predictable hobo ..peg seller shout as the cretins point at you with their warty gnarled fingers that they have just pulled from Vlad's erse...the flood lights are still missing bulbs, yams are a big physical side....get in early for the pies ..or Nade will beat ye ....oh and on the subject of Nade ...unlike Archie goal ...Nade has a massive 2 league goals this season ...

I could go on but i feel others may want to add to this ...:greengrin

Big Frank
09-03-2010, 04:51 PM
It's been around 20 years since I last saw a derby at Tynecastle. Gave in to my son to take him for the first time! And I can still remember Stevie Archibald scoring the winner like it was yesterday! But here is my question what has changed since then and what can we expect in terms of atmosphere and or abuse?

Its very, very scary. They have a hard core, used to be the gorgie aggro. Now its the Section N. They are led by a tough nut, known locally as Le Chat.

:faf::faf:

Nah, its still a wee bit honky, and you'll see that they have a wee wooden stand, built about 1914. Its the same stand as you would have seen all those years ago. Tramps.

Anyhoo, Stevie boy, out running disco dave mcpherson before slotting the ball into henry droptheballs bottom left hand post. Belter. Hibs end erupted.
Magic. Pure magic.:thumbsup:

I'm old:boo hoo:

Jonnyboy
09-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Its very, very scary. They have a hard core, used to be the gorgie aggro. Now its the Section N. They are led by a tough nut, known locally as Le Chat.

:faf::faf:

Nah, its still a wee bit honky, and you'll see that they have a wee wooden stand, built about 1914. Its the same stand as you would have seen all those years ago. Tramps.

Anyhoo, Stevie boy, out running disco dave mcpherson before slotting the ball into henry droptheballs bottom left hand post. Belter. Hibs end erupted.
Magic. Pure magic.:thumbsup:

I'm old:boo hoo:

Naw y'urny :greengrin

mim
09-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Nae idea. :dunno:

I haven't been for over 30 years. :wink:

........and I'm not in any rush to go back and help to fund them now. :bitchy:

GreenCastle
09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Where do i start .:greengrin.?.....lets see ...it still honks ..it honks to high heaven ...its very pink looking....5556 ...fans are still as ugly as ever....you will get abuse from the spotty nerdy types that crawl around that cess pit of a place ...you will get the usual predictable hobo ..peg seller shout as the cretins point at you with their warty gnarled fingers that they have just pulled from Vlad's erse...the flood lights are still missing bulbs, yams are a big physical side....get in early for the pies ..or Nade will beat ye ....oh and on the subject of Nade ...unlike Archie goal ...Nade has a massive 2 league goals this season ...

I could go on but i feel others may want to add to this ...:greengrin

:faf:

Atmosphere comes from the 3,500 die hard Hibs fans in the Roseburn end.

Around the ground - the yams are harmless - just plain ugly.

Before you enter the ground enjoy the mega thin turnstiles. How any fat jambos get through I don't know ?

The stadium is tacky and yes it does resemble a bus shelter.

The seats are cheap but the chances are the Hibs fans will stand.

As for the yam support - enjoy the inbreds in section N - look out for the mini huns waving their union jack.

Also keep an eye out for the guy in the wheatfield stand on the right who usually wears a tracksuit and does some some of warm up pre game. Absolutely nuts :faf:

My favourite away days are the derbies - nothing can beat winning there so fingers crossed Hibs turn up for this derby unlike the last two :grr: and get a win. :agree:

iwasthere1972
09-03-2010, 06:46 PM

They are trained by this man in the art of superthuggery.

Mind you one of their clowns didn't count on Casper coming to the rescue last year. :wink:

YouTube - Romanov vs Bednar BOXING (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS0rf8F40hM)

Sammy7nil
09-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Lots of drunkness, foul langauge topped off with absolute hatred from both sets of fans.

A frenzied atmosphere that can be very unpleasant

I love it though

DarlingtonHibee
09-03-2010, 07:13 PM

One of my favourite Hibs goals !!

What a great feeling to be behind the goal !!

:thumbsup:

MSK
09-03-2010, 07:30 PM
One of my favourite Hibs goals !!

What a great feeling to be behind the goal !!

:thumbsup:It was ..i was mangled against that fence somewhere !!!! :thumbsup:

renato
09-03-2010, 08:25 PM
"14 thousand boring bassas...." :whistle:

:greengrin

Vini1875
09-03-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't think the atmosphere has changed there since the early eighties. It's the same Hibs support just noiser and about 8 pints drunker than any other game.

.Sean.
09-03-2010, 08:29 PM
My auld man's not been to Tynie in about 20 years either. He's refused to set foot in the place after the shenanigans with the Fat Tory ********. He never even went to the St Johnston semi there. Won't put a single penny in Hearts coffers, it's the only stadium he refuses to go to.

allmodcons
09-03-2010, 08:57 PM

Thanks for the YouTube clip.

One of my favourite Hibs goals. One of those where you wouldn't want to be anywhere in the ground but behind the goals.

What a through ball by Kano:wink: who, if my memory serves me well, scored the first and had a wee celebration right in front of their ugly mob:greengrin

Simkin911
09-03-2010, 10:06 PM
I don't think the atmosphere has changed there since the early eighties. It's the same Hibs support just noiser and about 8 pints drunker than any other game.

Really? I'd say it's poorer as there's nothing to replace the sway, bounce and general movement of the fans celebrating a goal on those big, open terraces.

Was behind the goals for the Archibald goal but also have fab memories of the Joe McBride freekick, lifted over the wall and in off the post. An absolute peach. :top marks

I also remember biting into a pie and covering my shoes in grease from it. Worse to to follow, however, when I moved in the general direction of the bogs.

Thinking back, I don't remember us berating our own guys like some of the fans do nowadays. :rolleyes:

Hibercelona
09-03-2010, 10:41 PM
Keep an eye out for adolf hitler in the stand to your right. :agree:

Golden Bear
10-03-2010, 10:09 AM
I was at the semi final versus St Johnstone a few years ago but apart from that, I vowed I'd never attend another derby game at Tynie following the infamous aborted take over bid.

rightwinger
10-03-2010, 12:41 PM
What's changed?

We're put in a different end for a start. Archibald scored into the old Al Fresco Gorgie End whereas we're now in the Roseburn Tin Can Stand.

That game was a real powder-keg. I think Gordon Rae got sent-off after about 5 minutes. This coming match will probably be a bit calmer on the pitch. The last few derbies have been really cagey - Hearts take the game to us but, no doubt worried about us counter-attacking, lack the belief and striking power to really hurt us. We have the belief and goal threat but lack the strength and organisation needed to control the game and make it count. There hasn't been more than 2 goals in a derby since Dec 2006. Apart from the SC game last season - when we had a man sent-off early - no team has scored more than once in a derby since May 2007. 0-0, 1-1, or 1-0 Hibs have been the three most common outcomes in the last few years.

You'll probably notice how tight the stands are to the pitch. Somebody also mentioned the anti-fat turnstiles they have too. Like Hearts' style of play, it's a very claustrophobic place. IIRC there's no 'row a' at the bottom of the Roseburn because of them lengthening the pitch a few years back. The facilities in the Roseburn End are on the cheap side compared to our new stands - the concourses are like a long tent with a couple of catering and betting windows.

The real die-hard Hibees tend to be in the lower tier and invariably get plenty of attention from a worryingly ugly bunch of Hearts supporters at the near end of the Wheatfield stand.

Take a pair of sunglasses. As it often does, the sun shone brightly on the Hibs end throughout most of the last derby there. Wonderfully symbolic of course, but also quite difficult to see the game.

Hearts prefer to shoot towards our end in the first half. Hibs won the toss and reversed that in the last match there. Cautious man that I am, I prefer to be at the end we're defending in the second half.

I predict a low-scoring game, sadly giving Hearts the slight edge because of home advantage and the Jumbo Jim factor. The atmosphere in the Roseburn end will be worth the attendance, however, with a blistering rendition of the Nade song a potential highlight.

Kermit the frog
10-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Sounds like not much has realy changed other than the stadium and I appreciate the clips posted:thumbsup: I hope my son enjoys the atmospher and I hope to God it's a win for us:agree: preferrably by a large difference!

gringojoe
10-03-2010, 05:43 PM
20 years ago today Hibs beat Aberdeen 3-2 at Easter Road, Paul Wright scoring in 90 odd minutes. I wasn't there as I was at a mates wedding and would just like to apoligise once again to the happy couple for peeing at the side of the church, shouting out during the meal when I heard Hibs had won and spilling a drink over the ministers wife (still say my arm was nudged!)

jgl07
10-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Apart from the St Johnstone semi-final and the East of Scotland Shield final I have been to one match at Tynie in 15 years. That was two years ago.

I was a few minutes late and had not even sat down when Hearts went a goal up. A second followed and Hearts just ran the clock down after that.

The absurdity of this was demonstrated when the departing Takis Whasisname was allowed by the referee to do a lap of honour after being subbed in the second half.

It will be more than 15 years before I go again.

Sean1875
10-03-2010, 07:44 PM
Apart from the St Johnstone semi-final and the East of Scotland Shield final I have been to one match at Tynie in 15 years. That was two years ago.

I was a few minutes late and had not even sat down when Hearts went a goal up. A second followed and Hearts just ran the clock down after that.

The absurdity of this was demonstrated when the departing Takis Whasisname was allowed by the referee to do a lap of honour after being subbed in the second half.

It will be more than 15 years before I go again.
Remember that aswell, was raging :agree:
IIRC all the team came out at the end of the match to say bye to the tramps anyways?

houston1875
11-03-2010, 02:06 PM
20 years ago today Hibs beat Aberdeen 3-2 at Easter Road, Paul Wright scoring in 90 odd minutes. I wasn't there as I was at a mates wedding and would just like to apoligise once again to the happy couple for peeing at the side of the church, shouting out during the meal when I heard Hibs had won and spilling a drink over the ministers wife (still say my arm was nudged!)

gringojoe you never been able to hold your booze?

:faf:

Hainan Hibs
11-03-2010, 02:11 PM
Last time I was at Tynie was the Brian Kerr game. Could hardly stand anyway after quite a few pints and then Kerr scored. Legs complete gave way and I collasped to the ground:greengrin A guy I didnae ken was kind enough to protect my heid from getting stamped on, and then picked me up and threw me about:greengrin

The feeling of Hibs scoring at Tynecastle is something else. Best game of the season (apart from a trip to Hampden:greengrin)

hibee4life1983
11-03-2010, 06:39 PM

I hate tincastle, it does look like ther 3 newish stands wer chucked up with the scrap riveted tin used to fence old building sites, As someone says above there bulbs missing from the floodlights which are camper than callum elliot on you tube (u gotta check that!) Its usually a good atmosphere unless they score, then its just plain phere! lol, i hate it. Stinking bat infested no brain bank branch, ther, nailed it!

RIP
12-03-2010, 08:09 AM
When I was at school a Jambo was simply another name for a bloke who couldnae get a burd :agree:

mim
12-03-2010, 09:27 AM
I predict a low-scoring game, sadly giving Hearts the slight edge because of home advantage and the Jumbo Jim factor.

I wuld have thought that the Jumbo Jim factor would work heavily in favour of Hibs. :wink:

TObeachesHibby
12-03-2010, 04:49 PM
Always smile when I see & hear of that game at Tynecastle .. Remember it so well, was in the away end right behind the goals when Archie scored. :agree:If memory serves me right , Hearts missed a sitter in injury time , shot went just wide of post.
Its a game I will be boring my 4year old son about in years to come .. :greengrin
PS He's already has the perfect record .. his 1st game was 1st game this season .. 2-1 against St Mirren.