PDA

View Full Version : Another Hibs First - Interior Murals on the East Stand

RIP
09-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Those of you who have been to grounds outwith Scotland, how are their stands painted? Outside? Inside?

I'm wondering if the club would consider commissioning a "Mural" inside the new East Stand. How many of you have seen examples of 'urban art' on the side of buildings.

How fabulous would it be to occupy a stand filled with Hibernian imagery from our illustrious past?

Billy McKirdy
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I dont know about some of the murals around which masquerade as art, although the "Youts" that paint them obviously like them. If we're going to go for a proper mural I would suggest taking a trip to East Lothian and checking out the murals trail there first.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewcrummy/sets/72157594397626581/
Some of the artwork down there in Prestonpans is excellent and truly captures the history of the area. :agree:

Hakim Sar
09-03-2010, 02:56 PM
I'd like the windbreakers to have a mural of real life hibbies doing sunshine on leith and 'welcome to edinburgh' posted up on the edge of the roof.

RIP
09-03-2010, 06:34 PM
Having no stayed in Leith for a few years I am reminded of that wall art at North Junction St / Foot of Ferry Road

Good job for a local artist?

RoYO!
09-03-2010, 07:13 PM
i would steer clear, photos/ banners could look good, like the captains lounge in the west, but murals run too much of a risk of looking cheesy and date really quickly, imo

Phil D. Rolls
09-03-2010, 07:21 PM
Those of you who have been to grounds outwith Scotland, how are their stands painted? Outside? Inside?

I'm wondering if the club would consider commissioning a "Mural" inside the new East Stand. How many of you have seen examples of 'urban art' on the side of buildings.

How fabulous would it be to occupy a stand filled with Hibernian imagery from our illustrious past?

Feyenoord and Ajax both allow fans to paint inside the grounds. I have always thought a mural would be really good at ER. There are plenty great graffiti artists around the city that would do a great job.

Apparently Banksy is a Hibby as well.

drumatic44
09-03-2010, 07:54 PM
Kind of on the same subject, flew in to Heathrow from Mumbai last week (It's a tough job etc.). And it was interesting to see most of the London grounds from the air. Obviously recognised the Emirates, Wembley,but didn't know the others. Here's my point how about the name of the club and the stadium painted on the roof. Can't remember if you can see E.R. coming in to Edinburgh, if you can it would be nice to highlight it. Interestingly a couple of the London grounds had some sort of lighting (not floodlights) on the actual pitches. Agree with the previous post, the murals on the gates at Sammy Burn's yard at Prestonpans are brilliant.
ALLEZ LES VERTS.

Mikey
09-03-2010, 08:05 PM
Or the money could be spent on the playing staff :wink:

A club with an operating loss shouldn't be chucking money at decor.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2010, 08:20 PM
Have the Yams no already done it with a load of Muriels painted in to look like a crowd? :confused:

Vini1875
09-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Or it could make money. If for example a crowd scene was painted and individuals would pay to have their actual faces as the crowd. Immortalised in the East Stand for posterity or until the paint flaked.

I'm sure there was a bar in Stockbridge that had a lot of customers faces painted on the walls.

Bostonhibby
09-03-2010, 08:40 PM
Or it could make money. If for example a crowd scene was painted and individuals would pay to have their actual faces as the crowd. Immortalised in the East Stand for posterity or until the paint flaked.

I'm sure there was a bar in Stockbridge that had a lot of customers faces painted on the walls.

:agree:Royal Circus

Keith_M
09-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Yeugh, a load of East Standites captured for posterity!

How revolting!

:wink:

RIP
10-03-2010, 08:44 AM

What about a portrait of your favourite player at £100 a pop?

Seriously though a tasteful montage of imagery from Leith, Arthurs Seat, Castle, Harp, Famous Five as League Winners, Cup-Winning Teams 72, 91 and 07, First team, in Europe the list goes on....

And of course our new phone number ......0131 661 0762 :greengrin

Phil MaGlass
10-03-2010, 09:08 AM
How about a mural or two on how the East Stand has looked over the years,from its early days and massive/full terracings to now all covered.

joe breezy
10-03-2010, 09:25 AM
The murals in Holland are good

Den Haag

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/60/ADO1.JPG

Ajax

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cor_lems/465309021/in/photostream/

Ajax and Den Haag also have murals at their singing ends that look good... can't find them on the net though

Phil MaGlass
10-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Beat me to it, I was aboot tae post that fae The Hague but ah couldnae find it.

steviecarnie
10-03-2010, 11:30 AM
cant think what its called but how about some pictures made up of broken pieces of tile, i was thinking the current badge (or old ones). It would look better over time than paint.

bighairyfaeleith
10-03-2010, 11:36 AM
How about some pictures of a cerain fat tory bstards grave???????

Billy McKirdy
10-03-2010, 11:46 AM
cant think what its called but how about some pictures made up of broken pieces of tile, i was thinking the current badge (or old ones). It would look better over time than paint.

Mosaic :greengrin

Mon1875
10-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Could we not talk Banksy into doing a mural for us. Now that would be something special :-)

Fife-Hibee
10-03-2010, 11:48 AM

:faf:

blackpoolhibs
10-03-2010, 11:59 AM

:faf::faf::faf::top marks I'm sure we could have a whip round for that, it wouldn't cost the club a penny.

steviecarnie
10-03-2010, 12:09 PM
Mosaic :greengrin

thats the felly.

if u can get an artist to do all the work with cutting up the pieces (numbering them) and do a outline on the wall, then no reason why u couldnt get kids from the local primary to help make it on the wall.

panshibby
10-03-2010, 12:11 PM
I thinks its a good idea for murals, as earlier posts have stated there are a few in Prestonpans, some have been up for a few years now other more recently.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewcrummy/sets/72157594397626581/

joe breezy
10-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Here's me in 1990 in front of one of the Den Haag murals...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36666954@N08/4421674327/

Part/Time Supporter
10-03-2010, 04:17 PM

philistine

:greengrin

RIP
10-03-2010, 05:29 PM

So Mikey - their appears to be support for this proposal. Is there any current mechanism for dialogue between the club and it's supporters for taking such ideas forward?

Brando7
10-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Mural at east end park looks like a 10 year old did it :greengrin

MSK
10-03-2010, 06:33 PM
Mural at east end park looks like a 10 year old did it :greengrinSo does the yam one recently painted at the pink bus shelter ..5559 ...:greengrin

Slicer
11-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Aberdeen have paintings of sheep in Aberdeen scarfs in the Dick Donald stand. Resembles a Primary school competition.

Phil MaGlass
11-03-2010, 09:54 AM

Maggie Thatchers no deid yet

Golden Bear
11-03-2010, 10:09 AM
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder but from my experience wall murals are both garish and unsightly.

No thanks!

:no way:

down-the-slope
11-03-2010, 12:54 PM
thats the felly.

if u can get an artist to do all the work with cutting up the pieces (numbering them) and do a outline on the wall, then no reason why u couldnt get kids from the local primary to help make it on the wall.

rodders type move ....free child labour :greengrin

bighairyfaeleith
11-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Maggie Thatchers no deid yet

nah, shes the ginger tory bstard!!!!!

Aye, I know this post covers some of hibs.netters I apologies if any tory batsards out there are offended by the above comment.

RIP
11-03-2010, 02:42 PM
So provided we avoid rubbish murals or child-painted murals it's worthy of consideration

We have some fine artists in Edinburgh - could even make it a design compo?

HibeesLA
12-03-2010, 12:47 AM
Kind of on the same subject, flew in to Heathrow from Mumbai last week (It's a tough job etc.). And it was interesting to see most of the London grounds from the air. Obviously recognised the Emirates, Wembley,but didn't know the others. Here's my point how about the name of the club and the stadium painted on the roof. Can't remember if you can see E.R. coming in to Edinburgh, if you can it would be nice to highlight it. Interestingly a couple of the London grounds had some sort of lighting (not floodlights) on the actual pitches. Agree with the previous post, the murals on the gates at Sammy Burn's yard at Prestonpans are brilliant.
ALLEZ LES VERTS.

It depends on which direction you fly in from. On my last visit, we landed from West to East, so we did not fly over, however if you are landing from East to West coming from London, then you fly directly over the city.

The stadium looks great from the air and really stands out mainly because of the white on the stands against the stone colour of the surrounding buildings.

When I left Edinburgh on the Sunday after the St. Johnstone game, it was at night, but the lights were on in the stadium and you could clearly make it out.

dawn
12-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I think something like this photo montage, (last image in the gallery) would be more Hibs class :agree: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/createdbydawn/Hibernian (http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/createdbydawn/Hibernian#5447779310378367506)