PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Ying's Style of Writing

Speedway
09-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Is it just me or does Dick Sprung's writing really p--- you off.

Example Information To Be Relayed:

Rangers are in discussions with Andrew Ellis about his proposed purchase of the club.

Thick Wrong's Way Of Saying It:

The nervous coughing you hear is from Rangers fans watching events round a boardroom table like gamblers waiting for the dealer to turn the next card.

A week ago they couldn't have told Andrew Ellis from Webb Ellis, but I'll bet his name has been Googled into submission since news of his proposed takeover of the Ibrox club broke last Saturday.

For months Dave King, the South African ex-pat was the only genuine contender for Sir David Murray's shareholding; the rest of them were just pretenders.

Mostly, it was phoney interest. Football's equivalent of what the car salesmen call tyre-kickers.

But the 41-year-old Londoner has the ear of the Murray Group, the club and most significantly of all, the bank.

He's a player in this game all right.

Andrew Ellis has been linked with a takeover at Ibrox
Meanwhile, King may be about to lose the crown he craves most. But here's the thing: should the fans welcome Ellis with ticker tape or a baseball bat?

They'll not like his profession - property developer. They tend, for football clubs, to have the smell of foxes at the rabbits' burrow.

He gets right onto my thruppennies grande style, that boy. Is it just me?

magnificent_seven
09-03-2010, 02:15 PM
I can't read his piss poor column. He flings in about half a dozen *****e metaphors and puns and tries to pass it off as hilarious tongue in cheek journalism, when really, it is just complete and utter dross.

KerPlunk
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
His "style" is laden with lame metaphors and simile and is obviously written in a 'faux Primary 5 stylee' that will be easily understood by the windaelickers, nutjobs, bigots, recidivists and long-term dole scroungers that followfollow the Loyal Sons of Govan FC.

Whether the baldy wee scrote is actually capable of penning something slightly more erudite is highly debatable. :devil:

He could learn a thing or two from the likes of David Conn, Patrick Barclay or (whisper it) Graham Spiers.

Just had to put "the interview" in.............:faf:

YouTube - Chick v Walter - The Early Years (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKV88nEMu50&feature=related)

Musselbound
09-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Not just you. It is woeful, cliche-ridden and full of terrible metaphors. The one that gets me most is "answers on a postcard to...". People haven't sent answers on postcards to competitions for about 30 years but he still uses this quite frequently. One thing for sure, he isn't going to change at this stage, so you might as well just get used to it and have a laugh about it. Either that or ignore him.

Hakim Sar
09-03-2010, 02:51 PM
Chuck Lung is crap

Speedway
09-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I can't read his piss poor column. He flings in about half a dozen *****e metaphors and puns and tries to pass it off as hilarious tongue in cheek journalism, when really, it is just complete and utter dross.

That's it in a goven sized nutshell carefully protected by Walter Squirrel as he keeps his nuts dry through the winter and this writer wonders when the first greenshoots of spring will emerge on the Ibrox turf. Mick Dung :bitchy:

His "style" is laden with lame metaphors and simile and is obviously written in a 'faux Primary 5 stylee' that will be easily understood by the windaelickers, nutjobs, bigots, recidivists and long-term dole scroungers that followfollow the Loyal Sons of Govan FC.

Whether the baldy wee scrote is actually capable of penning something slightly more erudite is highly debatable. :devil:

He could learn a thing or two from the likes of David Conn, Patrick Barclay or (whisper it) Graham Spiers.

Just had to put "the interview" in.............:faf:

YouTube - Chick v Walter - The Early Years (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKV88nEMu50&feature=related)

And in that classic clip preserved like a penny in the parkhead biscuit tim we see Rick Mong being shown up worse than dandruff in an ultraviolet light of a club frequented by Cambuslang's finest and coming off worse than an Ibrox custodian after a reconcillatory chat with an estranged partner .

OFFFFFFFF!! :grr:

IWasThere2016
09-03-2010, 07:41 PM
Chuck Lung is crap

Chuck Dung then :wink:

Jones28
09-03-2010, 07:49 PM
hate when he does youre call, ever caller he says "what can i do you for" :grr:

nonshinyfinish
09-03-2010, 07:52 PM
His "style" is laden with lame metaphors and simile and is obviously written in a 'faux Primary 5 stylee'

A terrible slur. :bitchy:

I was knocking out vastly superior prose by Primary Five. Your comments do our nation's ten-year-olds a great disservice.

lyonhibs
09-03-2010, 10:57 PM
A terrible slur. :bitchy:

I was knocking out vastly superior prose by Primary Five. Your comments do our nation's ten-year-olds a great disservice.

You were TEN in Primary 5??

Does that not make you already a bit "special"??

I was in S1 at the precocious age of 11??!! :confused::greengrin

You make a valid point though.

Pretty Boy
09-03-2010, 11:03 PM
It says it all that he stopped responding to the comments under his column on the Beeb website.

They weren't even the usual bigoted weedgie banter, they were just folk extracting the urine out of his writing style. The thing is he clearly still reads the comments as the more people rip into the dodgy metaphors and puns, the more he seems to fit into his shockingly bad column.

Woody1985
09-03-2010, 11:07 PM
The horrible thing about reading that is you can hear his annoying voice in your head, stupid pauses and dramatic expressions and all.

Creepy hun *******.

Speedway
10-03-2010, 12:01 AM
I'd have no problem with Quick Bung taking an early retirement.

PatHead
10-03-2010, 12:15 AM
He is a fud

Iain G
10-03-2010, 01:17 AM
His writing still is very annoying, but never as annoying as the really weird phrasing and breathing pauses that Ramon Whatsisface used to do on Scotland Today when reading out his items...he used (*pause*) to do (*pause and breathe*) his pauses and breathing rather (*pause*) randomly in the middle (*pause*) of sentences instead of at the end of them.

Used to annoy the hell out of me, that and the obvious pro-Weegie coverage of course...

nonshinyfinish
10-03-2010, 07:56 AM

I was in S1 at the precocious age of 11??!! :confused::greengrin

You make a valid point though.

You're right, now that I think of it my 10th birthday was just after the start of P6, but if you're born in the first half of the year then chances are you'll turn 10 in P5.

IWasThere2016
10-03-2010, 08:26 AM

Does depend on your birthday ..

My youngest started school at 5.5 and not 4.5 (birthday is February) and he's P5 and 10 y-o

He's no 'special' - he's no a Yam :cool2: :greengrin

Hibby Bairn
10-03-2010, 08:34 AM
Does depend on your birthday ..

My youngest started school at 5.5 and not 4.5 (birthday is February) and he's P5 and 10 y-o

He's no 'special' - he's no a Yam :cool2: :greengrin

But he'll have a 70% greater chance of being a professional footballer. :)

KWJ
10-03-2010, 09:06 AM
Not just you. It is woeful, cliche-ridden and full of terrible metaphors. The one that gets me most is "answers on a postcard to...". People haven't sent answers on postcards to competitions for about 30 years but he still uses this quite frequently. One thing for sure, he isn't going to change at this stage, so you might as well just get used to it and have a laugh about it. Either that or ignore him.

I know somebody that sends about 5 postcards a day for competitions. Serious! She gets the postcards for free.

I agree that if you don't like him you should just ignore him. Personally I don't mind el chicko.

Phil MaGlass
10-03-2010, 09:21 AM
Cheap Pun gets on my thruppenny bits aswell,but on saying that I have laughed or smiled that should be,at one or two of the things he has written,its full of cliche but thats what you expect from him,one dimensional.I am glad to see Im not the only one who cringes when he says "hello caller what can I do you for" turned the radio straight off a couple of weeks ago after he said that,also all the OF fans from Isle of Skye Aberdeen and Orkney do ma nut in big time.
"Hi there Chick" "Senga Mc***intwatheid from John O Groats" Id like tae tawk aboot wee Novo n his braw wee legs.And how come sellik r crap n awrat like loon.

Holmesdale Hibs
10-03-2010, 11:43 AM
Is it just me or does Dick Sprung's writing really p--- you off.

Definitely not just you. To be fair I think he know's his stuff but the way he presents it grates so much its difficult to listen. He tries to turn Sportsound in to the Dick Young show.

Rangers are in discussions with Andrew Ellis about his proposed purchase of the club.

either that or he would say something like...

I spoke to Walter Smith, a good friend of mine for many years, and he told me exculsively that... I can therefore...

Musselbound
10-03-2010, 11:49 AM
hate when he does youre call, ever caller he says "what can i do you for" :grr:

I hate that expression as well. He's not the only person that uses it mind you. I just don't see the point of it. What was problem the with order word original?:wink:

I know somebody that sends about 5 postcards a day for competitions. Serious! She gets the postcards for free.

I agree that if you don't like him you should just ignore him. Personally I don't mind el chicko.

I stand corrected about the postcards then.:faf: Doesn't she have to pay for the stamps though?

KWJ
10-03-2010, 12:33 PM
I hate that expression as well. He's not the only person that uses it mind you. I just don't see the point of it. What was problem the with order word original?:wink:

I stand corrected about the postcards then.:faf: Doesn't she have to pay for the stamps though?

yeah she does. She's won a fair bit though to be fair.