PDA

View Full Version : Souleymane Bamba

magnificent_seven
09-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Is he Overrated? People on here go on about him being our best player and Premiership class. In your opinion is he Over rated or is the hype and praise justified?

MSK
09-03-2010, 01:28 PM
I think he is a decent player ..certainly has ability but still plenty of room for improvement, by no means the finished article ...EPL ..?..not yet..

Imho....:greengrin

fiolex1
09-03-2010, 01:30 PM
If he can find more consistency like he did before he went to the African cup of nations then yes, but he's not regained that form yet. I still feel he lacks that we bit of class and rather than use his experience jumps in too quick.

Good player IMO

RIP
09-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Is he Overrated? People on here go on about him being our best player and Premiership class. In your opinion is he Over rated or is the hype and praise justified?

How many people?

How can we tell if he is over-rated unless we can agree how he is rated by most?

In other words if I think he is crap is he over-rated - probably not, but mibbies only by me, 'cos I'm the only one who thinks he's crap

However if I think he is brill is he over-rated - probably yes, but then again mibbies only by me 'cos I'm the only one who thinks he's brill

MoantheCabbage
09-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Certainly a good player there is no doubt about that, however I wouldnt play him as a centre half as he doesnt play a team game and tries to win everyball which means pulling players out of position to cover him etc.

Holding role for me is his best position

seanraff07
09-03-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm a fan of Bamba but he has really struggled to re-find the form he was in before he left for the African Nations cup, i definitely he is over-rated by some and is far from the completed player, but he's still much better than i thought he was going to be when we first signed him so i'm not complaining, one of mixu's few good signings.:greengrin

WestEndHibee
09-03-2010, 02:25 PM
to be honest it was only during his time of top form when we were all raving about him. Haven't seen one of tose posts in a while. I think he's a class player though and destined for the premiership eventually. We'll see if he regains his form before the world cup though.

Musselbound
09-03-2010, 02:26 PM
He's been a very good signing for Hibs but I think he'd really struggle in the Premiership. (I've thought this all along not just due to his recent loss of form.) Might get a regular game for a top half Championship side. I'd be amazed if we get a few million for him as some people appear to think. Only cost 50k, mind.

MussyHibby
09-03-2010, 03:09 PM
Top player, 1st team choice for me every week, commanding with leadership qualities, determined and physically very strong.

Yes at times he overdoes it, but he's a typical non-British Centre Half who likes to play football rather than hoof it up the park.

I don't think he's anywhere near over-rated, in fact I think his best years are still ahead of him.:agree:

MrSmith
09-03-2010, 03:12 PM
He is a good player and most likely would hold his own in the EPL although, I do think he is caught-up in his own hype. I do though believe he needs to move onto other bigger things a move to the EPL in the summer should suffice.

RoslinInstHibby
09-03-2010, 03:14 PM
great player, just his current form letting him down.:agree:

Hibster
09-03-2010, 03:15 PM
Decent player. Makes too many basic errors to make it in the EPL though imo. And people saying he isn't the finished article....he's what, 24-25? He's not going to get a whole lot better let's be honest

Viva_Palmeiras
09-03-2010, 03:24 PM
form versus class debate.

As long as he's producing the goods I don't care if he's under or over-rated since at the end of the day thats all that matters producing.

For me its just a question of form at the mo but class will shine through as will be the case with other players such as Miller when he goes through a rough spell.

Dunbar Hibee
09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
Very inconsistant imo.. not EPL class YET.

Hibs90
09-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Will be an EPL player someday. When he shows it he certainly has the class and ability to play there, along with the physical attributes. Although a tad inconsistent right now.

HibbyScott
09-03-2010, 03:44 PM
Echoing the other views on this thread really. Very good CB on his day, but recently (since ACN) these days haven't been coming around as often as they were in the first half of the season.

Once he adds a bit of consistency he'll be a very good player

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-03-2010, 03:47 PM
He may look good in the SPL, but in the EPL he won't be lining up alongside Hogg and he may get found out.....

offshorehibby
09-03-2010, 04:03 PM
Prior to ANC he proved his class with many MOTM performances. The dip in form is a shame but will come back.
He has to start performing if he is to keep his place in the Ivory Coast side. Whether he can perform in the premiership who knows all I'm worried about his his current for and will we get the money we are hoping for.

Austinho
09-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Very good in midfield.
Not so good in defense.

GreenCastle
09-03-2010, 04:17 PM
Not in the best form - but not over rated.

He has shown how good he can be.

Andy74
09-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Very good in midfield.
Not so good in defense.

Sorry, don't buy that.

He hardly put a foot wrong from August to January at centre half and we were all talking about £4m plus for him.

Going away has obviously caused a problem - he got to swan about in the sun for a few weeks and then come back into a struggling team in the midst of the worst winter in years!

I never thought he was up to that much in midfield, won the ball for us and didn't do much with it after that, he was also a lot more rash in midfield than he is at centre half.

Going through a dip in form yes, but not over rated.

RigRoars
09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
A dip in form lately,nothing more imo.

A great player and someone we will sorely miss when he goes.

ScottB
09-03-2010, 05:10 PM
I don't think he's overrated, but I do think there's more than a few folk here who can only think of him at the height of his powers, rather than the very patchy form he's been in.

Is he EPL level? Maybe, with effort on his part, not a chance in hell if he continues playing as he has been this year.

Seep
09-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Bit knee-jerk, he's going through some bad form. He's a solid defensive midfielder(not sure about CB.. from what I've seen). He was your outstanding defensive player before the African Cup of Nations.

MoantheCabbage
10-03-2010, 07:58 AM
Sorry, don't buy that.

He hardly put a foot wrong from August to January at centre half and we were all talking about £4m plus for him.

Going away has obviously caused a problem - he got to swan about in the sun for a few weeks and then come back into a struggling team in the midst of the worst winter in years!

I never thought he was up to that much in midfield, won the ball for us and didn't do much with it after that, he was also a lot more rash in midfield than he is at centre half.

Going through a dip in form yes, but not over rated.

Under Mixu he played midfield and turned everyones head. When we signed him eyebrow's were raised and he turned that round with some excellent performances.

I would never say he has been assured at CB this season got away with a few clangers that he isnt geting away with now.

His athleticism, height and speed make him a quality defensive midfielder

Hanlon and Hogg are a much better pairing at CB as they talk and listen to one another and hardly put a foot wrong when big Sol was away

7Hero
10-03-2010, 08:08 AM
think he has potential but masively overrated. amazing how more than half think he is overrated, a year ago i was taking pelters for the same opinion, you were lucky if 20 % of the board thought this.

MussyHibby
10-03-2010, 09:37 AM
think he has potential but masively overrated. amazing how more than half think he is overrated, a year ago i was taking pelters for the same opinion, you were lucky if 20 % of the board thought this.

Wow, how good are you and what a foresight you had - well done!:bitchy:

Massively over-rated? If I thought he was Beckenbauer class, of course he's over-rated, then again if I thought he was Colin Murdoch class, then he's massively under-rated, it's all relative mate. :agree:

Right now for me, has to be in the team every week.

RoslinInstHibby
10-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Wow, how good are you and what a foresight you had - well done!:bitchy:

Massively over-rated? If I thought he was Beckenbauer class, of course he's over-rated, then again if I thought he was Colin Murdoch class, then he's massively under-rated, it's all relative mate. :agree:

Right now for me, has to be in the team every week.

the big man got some dodgy pics of you or summit, you never say anything negative about the guy:greengrin

Hibernating (Im a stoopid yam tramp)
10-03-2010, 04:58 PM
In the St J draw he was MOM, so dunno why he gets flak. The pen award at Greyskull was just a Miller dive and poor referee.

MussyHibby
10-03-2010, 05:09 PM
the big man got some dodgy pics of you or summit, you never say anything negative about the guy:greengrin

:wink: It's just the quality, him I mean, not the pictures!:greengrin

mim
10-03-2010, 05:10 PM
If we'd paid a couple of million for him, I'd have a few doubts, but we paid next to nowt for him and he has repaid us many times over. A very good acquistion (you had to get one right, Mixu).

Also, he'll score on Saturday - get the cash on. :greengrin

HibeeUnderwood
10-03-2010, 08:30 PM

I don't think Bamba is overrated

I think he is a very good player who is currently suffering a dip in form.

I personally would have dropped him after the 5-1 St Johnstone game but Yogi decided to keep him on. I think he needs to be rested for a couple of games and then come back into the team and ready to be back to his best for the business part of the season :agree:

Hanlon did very well on Saturday and so now might be the oppurtunity to give him that rest :agree:

seanraff07
10-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Very good in midfield.
Not so good in defense.

Ufortunately he always plays in defence.
He hasn't even played in midfield once this season.