PDA

View Full Version : Motherwell

Martin
09-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Just realised that Motherwell could go 3rd on Saturday .... They really have come out of nowhere...

GlesgaeHibby
09-03-2010, 11:49 AM
Just realised that Motherwell could go 3rd on Saturday .... They really have come out of nowhere...

They can't go 3rd on saturday, although they really are on some run at the moment. Brown has made them incredibly hard to beat.

They have won 7 of their last 10 games in the SPL conceding only 2 goals.

scott7_0(Prague)
09-03-2010, 11:52 AM

When did the points change for a win??

Dun Utd 48pts
Hibs 47pts
Motherwell 44pts

:confused::greengrin:confused:

Wee Scottie Dug
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
They can't go 3rd on saturday, although they really are on some run at the moment. Brown has made them incredibly hard to beat.

They have won 7 of their last 10 games in the SPL conceding only 2 goals.

they can if they win tonight ..... :greengrin

Martin
09-03-2010, 11:54 AM
They play tonight and Saturday.

Two wins = 6 points = 3rd in the SPL

lapsedhibee
09-03-2010, 12:00 PM

:agree: They've done better recently coming out of nowhere than earlier in the season when they were coming out of left field.

The_Todd
09-03-2010, 12:02 PM
:agree: They've done better recently coming out of nowhere than earlier in the season when they were coming out of left field.

:faf:

That leftfield was always overrated.

--------
09-03-2010, 12:03 PM

They've emerged gruesomely from the depths of that bog of a pitch of theirs - a bit like the Creature from the Black Lagoon...

... or Grendel's mother.

IWasThere2016
09-03-2010, 12:13 PM
When did the points change for a win??

Dun Utd 48pts
Hibs 47pts
Motherwell 44pts

:confused::greengrin:confused:

They play tonight (St Midden away = 1 point at best :pray:) and Saturday (hame tae the Yams - Jumbo Jeffires and co will do us a favour of course :rolleyes:)

Bad Martini
09-03-2010, 12:15 PM
They've emerged gruesomely from the depths of that bog of a pitch of theirs - a bit like the Creature from the Black Lagoon...

... or Grendel's mother.

Indeed. They should be sent back to yon bog, wi Pa Broon in tow, and whipped for crimes against fitba with their pash team, pash pitch and patch style ay fitba.

As for Pa Broon....his teams were always hard to beat but indeed, the Blobmeister put it best; if ye want entertainment son, the Odeon is over yon. This is fitba :cool2:

Motherwell getts. :greengrin

ScottB
09-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Having a pitch like a ploughed field is probably helping them more than a bit. Though Brown has got them on a good streak nonetheless.

scoopyboy
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM

... or Grendel's mother.

By my calculation we will be going back to that bog a third time this season.

Post split we will have two home games and three away.

IMO Rangers and Hearts at home with Celtic, Utd and Motherwell away.

We will definitely be playing someone away from home for a third time unless Aberdeen get above Hearts.

Sir David Gray
09-03-2010, 12:29 PM
Everyone's talking about Hibs and Dundee Utd in the fight for 3rd place but Motherwell should certainly not be overlooked.

The Craig Brown effect coupled with their atrocious pitch gives them huge hope of doing something.

Brown is doing with Motherwell what he used to do with Scotland, i.e. making sure the defence is rock solid, not giving away many goals and making sure that they are a well organised and secure unit. If you don't concede goals, the worst you'll come away with is a draw.

We will definitely need to be watchful of them for the remainder of the season and I would say that there is a three way fight for 3rd spot.

Bad Martini
09-03-2010, 12:30 PM
Brown is doing with Motherwell what he used to do with Scotland, i.e. making sure the defence is rock solid, not giving away many goals and making sure that they are a well organised and secure unit. If you don't concede goals, the worst you'll come away with is a draw.

Somebody better alert the Motherwell Samaritans....:devil:

Sir David Gray
09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
By my calculation we will be going back to that bog a third time this season.

Post split we will have two home games and three away.

IMO Rangers and Hearts at home with Celtic, Utd and Motherwell away.

We will definitely be playing someone away from home for a third time unless Aberdeen get above Hearts.

That would be really unfair on us. We would have our two home games against two sides that we are not competing with and two out of our three away games would be against our rivals for 3rd place.

That would be an awful scenario.

I would probably rather have Rangers, Celtic and Hearts away and Motherwell and Dundee Utd at home, even although we would have Dundee Utd at Easter Road for a third time!

Craig_in_Prague
09-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Hibs need to quickly find form again, or I think we'll finish 5th at best.

UTD and Motherwell look solid, have good shape & balance to their teams.

Haven been 3rd for so long this season, missing out on even 4th place would be friggin hard to take.

Killiehibbie
09-03-2010, 12:35 PM
6/4 for them to win tonight looks a good bet. I'll put a fiver on them just to make sure they don't win.

scoopyboy
09-03-2010, 12:49 PM
That would be really unfair on us. We would have our two home games against two sides that we are not competing with and two out of our three away games would be against our rivals for 3rd place.

That would be an awful scenario.

I would probably rather have Rangers, Celtic and Hearts away and Motherwell and Dundee Utd at home, even although we would have Dundee Utd at Easter Road for a third time!

That scenario would have us going to Ibrox and Tynecastle three times with Utd at home 3 times, that won't happen.

Sir David Gray
09-03-2010, 01:01 PM
That scenario would have us going to Ibrox and Tynecastle three times with Utd at home 3 times, that won't happen.

I know it won't happen but your scenario (which I accept is more likely) would be a nightmare for us as it would have us going away to our two rivals for 3rd spot.

I know we couldn't really complain about going to Tannadice after the split but it would be a real blow if we also had to go to Fir Park.

seanraff07
09-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Were not going to get away with having poor performances anymore or we will get leap frogged by Well too and we can't afford that, we have to get back on form now.:bitchy:

IWasThere2016
09-03-2010, 11:13 PM
6/4 for them to win tonight looks a good bet. I'll put a fiver on them just to make sure they don't win.

:thumbsup:

Pretty Boy
09-03-2010, 11:19 PM
Somebody better alert the Motherwell Samaritans....:devil:

Aye because qualifying for major tournaments was so hard to handle right enough.:wink:

To be fair to Craig Brown, and few are, he never tried to sell his teams as anything other than hard to beat, one up front, defensive minded borefests. The fact is though it was/is generally pretty effective.

Killiehibbie
09-03-2010, 11:40 PM
:thumbsup:
I know how to stop them.

Bad Martini
10-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Aye because qualifying for major tournaments was so hard to handle right enough.:wink:

There's nae denying that mate...I didny say Pa Broon failed ala McBerti, McAlchy or any of the McHun's who, whilst putting on a show, still failed to qualify.

BUTTTTT, shirrrleeey, a line exists between fitba and boring the opposition into submission (or a draw :greengrin)

It's a fair point ye make and I'll have the qualification but bichrist, it was hard work. At least scudding France 1 nil (even if it was doon to a Caldwell mis-kick :greengrin) was good for the auld ticker and ensuring ye ken yer alive.

(Doing it again, via a Faddy belter was just pure class in a glass ya bass though :thumbsup:)

We'll be comin, aw the same :greengrin

steakbake
10-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Everyone's talking about Hibs and Dundee Utd in the fight for 3rd place but Motherwell should certainly not be overlooked.

The Craig Brown effect coupled with their atrocious pitch gives them huge hope of doing something.

We will definitely need to be watchful of them for the remainder of the season and I would say that there is a three way fight for 3rd spot.

Four way - you can never discount Celtic.

anon1
10-03-2010, 02:02 PM
Motherwell's potential for this kind of form has been there all season. They made a pretty decent start to the season, in spite of having a manager in therewho wasn't the least bit interested in moving the club forward.

They have a very talented young squad. And they could really cause a stir once the split happens.

anon1
10-03-2010, 02:04 PM
Four way - you can never discount Celtic.

They are only 6 points clear of third. Falkirk absolutely ran rings around them at the weekend. They are seriously *****!!

Dashing Bob S
10-03-2010, 10:01 PM
On current form, i'd say they are favourites for 3rd.