PDA

View Full Version : Benji wants to stay

Wotherspiniesta
08-03-2010, 12:09 AM
http://sport.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/Benjelloun-hoping-to-extend-Easter.6131071.jp

I think he deserves another year at least.
Made a good contribution on Saturday ( penalty aside).
Will he get an offer from Hibs though?

Hibbyradge
08-03-2010, 12:13 AM
I don't think he "deserves" anything, tbh.

He's not good enough for where we want to be.

Calvin
08-03-2010, 12:13 AM
To replace him with someone of equal quality would cost more than retaining Benji I reckon.

Not always gonna be a first XI player but very handy to have in the squad.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2010, 12:17 AM
To replace him with someone of equal quality would cost more than retaining Benji I reckon.

He was desparate to leave last year.

He doesn't score any goals yet Nish gets all the stick.

Funny, innit?

matty_f
08-03-2010, 12:17 AM

:agree:

I have to say I like Benji as a player. He is a bit enigmatic, but when he's good he's really good. That he doesn't show it that often is problematic, but I'd like to think that he's got more to give Hibs.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2010, 12:18 AM

I have to say I like Benji as a player. He is a bit enigmatic, but when he's good he's really good. That he doesn't show it that often is problematic, but I'd like to think that he's got more to give Hibs.

When's that Matty?

Seriously.

Mag7
08-03-2010, 12:19 AM
This boy could have been something a bit special. As the article says he really looked the part in the cup final and it was frustrating how he never seemed to take things on from there. Time is still on his side but I think it's as much a mentality thing with Benji. He just doesn't seem to want it enough.

Hibbyradge
08-03-2010, 12:22 AM
This boy could have been something a bit special. As the article says he really looked the part in the cup final and it was frustrating how he never seemed to take things on from there. Time is still on his side but I think it's as much a mentality thing with Benji. He just doesn't seem to want it enough.

So did Lewis Stevenson. :agree:

Mag7
08-03-2010, 12:23 AM

That's right. Man of the match wasn't he?

matty_f
08-03-2010, 12:24 AM
When's that Matty?

Seriously.

Suppose I'm still going back to the cup run in 07, though there have been glimpses since then.

Shrekko
08-03-2010, 12:29 AM

I know what you're saying but I honestly dont think you can compare the two ability wise. I've watched the League Cup Final a couple of times and Stevenson did probably have his best game in a Hibs shirt but it was a 7/10 neat and tidy performance. Benji on the other hand conjured up a couple of goals where he had a lot to do.

Benji in fact was very good for most of that season and not just that one game.

Folk use the term 'good squad player' sometimes for players like Stevenson who are mediocre/poor in several positions but I do genuinely believe Benji is a useful guy to have around even on current form. If he could return to his form of 2/3 seasons ago we have an excellent player pretty cheap.

Worth another season I'd say.

Calvin
08-03-2010, 12:30 AM
I agree with that really, but I look through the squad list and players that are are hard to find. I feel that we have kind of maxed out with the squad that we have. It's good enough for the high end of the table but still not good enough for the top 2. In the next few seasons we have to look at consolidating our place as the consistent third/fourth placed team and Benji is an adequate backup for the first team at the level IMO.

Aldo
08-03-2010, 12:53 AM
I'd give him a deal. On his game and with the right attitude and application this lad is one of the best forwards in Scotland.

Its a real shame what happened to him and yes he is as much to blame. looked the Benji of old (from the highlights anyway).

Would agree that it would cost us big bucks to replace a player of his potential.

I can see it happening unless Hughes has someone lined up close season.

whereswallace?
08-03-2010, 02:02 AM
As has been said,Benji is a bit of an enigma.However there is no doubt that a Benji at the top of his game has a lot to offer us.Id give him an extra 12 months to prove he can do it when we need him.On his day he is someties unplayable the way he holds the ball in and twists and turns the defender is brilliant at times.

Dashing Bob S
08-03-2010, 02:10 AM
I'd keep him. He's come through a lot of bad personal stuff, and while he hasn't got back to his best form, he's improved in attitude and what he's had to offer this season. I agree that to replace him with someone of a similar ability will cost loads, and he could be a good secret weapon for Europe next year.

truehibernian
08-03-2010, 06:32 AM
What a refreshing change of attitude from the previous two seasons though eh ? Definitely worthy of a new deal as he is one the most technically gifted at the club. Made a big difference to a very average Hibs performance on Saturday. Like Riordan, he has been played slightly out of position by Hughes, yet always looks good on the ball and links up the play well.

TornadoHibby
08-03-2010, 08:03 AM
I know what you're saying but I honestly dont think you can compare the two ability wise. I've watched the League Cup Final a couple of times and Stevenson did probably have his best game in a Hibs shirt but it was a 7/10 neat and tidy performance. Benji on the other hand conjured up a couple of goals where he had a lot to do.

Benji in fact was very good for most of that season and not just that one game.

Folk use the term 'good squad player' sometimes for players like Stevenson who are mediocre/poor in several positions but I do genuinely believe Benji is a useful guy to have around even on current form. If he could return to his form of 2/3 seasons ago we have an excellent player pretty cheap.

Worth another season I'd say.

I agree with that. :cool2:

On Saturday he was the only one who really looked like creating goal opportunities and it was unfortunate that he missed the penalty although most of his striking compatriots have done the same this season or last! :agree:

I'd def give him a contract extension for at least one season with the belief that he could deliver more regularly with regular first team football and good man management which I know Yogi extends to his players if he believes they have potential and he rates the Moroccans in that regard! :agree: :wink:

HFC 0-7
08-03-2010, 08:07 AM
He definately has the ability and is something hibs need at the moment. He can hold the ball up very well and turn defenders, as he done on Saturday to win the pen. I think if he gets a run in the team his sharpness will return and he will benefit the whole team.

Jack
08-03-2010, 09:03 AM
No doubting his ability but it appears his attitude towards Hibs is way all over the place; he loves us, he wants away, he’s not coming back, he’d love to come back, he’d love to show us what he can do!

Well I think the consensus is that he’s a good squad player and if that’s all he can come up with to impress Hibs to give him a new deal then I, for one, am not terribly impressed.

We all know he can do it, but only when it suits him.

Hainan Hibs
08-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I'd give him the deal. He has the ability and I think Yogi is the man who can get him to perform and manage him well.

He has been through a lot of bad personal events which must be hard to handle when you are away from home so hopefully with that in the past he could concentrate on improving at Hibs.

As people say getting in a player of similar quality to Benji would be costly.

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2010, 09:15 AM
No doubting his ability but it appears his attitude towards Hibs is way all over the place; he loves us, he wants away, he’s not coming back, he’d love to come back, he’d love to show us what he can do!

Well I think the consensus is that he’s a good squad player and if that’s all he can come up with to impress Hibs to give him a new deal then I, for one, am not terribly impressed.

We all know he can do it, but only when it suits him.

hibsbollah
08-03-2010, 09:25 AM
Of course we should offer him a new deal. I cant believe its even debatable:confused:

EskbankHibby
08-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Has the ability to receive the ball in midfield with has back to goal, turn AND retain posession. Great link player when he's on form, did well on Saturday and in the 1st half through at the huns.

Unfortunately he's inconsistent and previously had a questionable attitude, i would try and retain him but not if he wants top dollar.

Gatecrasher
08-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Apart from a couple of games in 07 I don't think he's performed to his ability, the last line in jacks post says it all he is a liability we can't afford we should chuck him IMO

hibsbollah
08-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Apart from a couple of games in 07 I don't think he's performed to his ability, the last line in jacks post says it all he is a liability we can't afford we should chuck him IMO

He scored 15 goals that season:confused:

Gatecrasher
08-03-2010, 09:52 AM
He scored 15 goals that season:confused:

He's no really done much since though eh

Part/Time Supporter
08-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Maybe, but it would have to be incentive laden (ie low basic, high bonuses). Far too inconsistent and entirely unproductive away from home.

Andy74
08-03-2010, 10:17 AM
A good player that we should be trying to encourage instead of looking for reasons to dislike all the time.

I don't think I've ever seen him play with anything less than a positive and willing attitude (maybe the Queens Park game apart, in keeping with the whole team that night) yet I still hear the old Benji is a lazy and moody git line almost every time his name is mentioned.

The pitch isn't doing him any favours, in common with the rest of the team, but we couldn't replace his ability easily or cheaply.

Keep him signed up, get him more playing time and he'll be a huge asset again.

TornadoHibby
08-03-2010, 10:35 AM
A good player that we should be trying to encourage instead of looking for reasons to dislike all the time.

I don't think I've ever seen him play with anything less than a positive and willing attitude (maybe the Queens Park game apart, in keeping with the whole team that night) yet I still hear the old Benji is a lazy and moody git line almost every time his name is mentioned.

The pitch isn't doing him any favours, in common with the rest of the team, but we couldn't replace his ability easily or cheaply.

:top marks

Agree 100% although it sometimes seems that we are in a minority re Benji! :confused:

J-C
08-03-2010, 11:09 AM
He's showing a better attitude and hunger this season, maybe down to Yogi, give him another year and if he keeps showing this then when he goes we'll get a decent wedge for him.

Owain_1987
08-03-2010, 11:40 AM
There was few times on Saturday when you could see from Benji he still as class. If you see the highlight one of Benji shots were he turns looks very much like his play in the cup final and was only not a goal from a great save. The penalty was bad but by the laws of the game should of been retaken.

Bad Martini
08-03-2010, 12:44 PM
We aren't short of forwards and if I were picking someone to lose in terms of goal scorers, it'd be Benji.

He IS a good player but he doesn't always want to play to his potential, IMHO.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2010, 12:58 PM
IMO he's an average squad player and as someone has already said, I don't believe he's good enough for where Hughes wants to take the club.

If we keep him then fine but I won't lose any sleep if he leaves us in the summer.

Stevie Reid
08-03-2010, 02:37 PM

Excellent post. None of us were happy with him when he wanted to leave, but his contribution this season has been vital.

With his attributes, if he could perform to the level that he's capable of every week, he would probably be playing in the Premiership. The SPL is full of steady players who can stifle matches to meet the needs of their team - Benji is a potential match winner, and the kind of player that most teams would be crying out for. He should be retained, if possible.

Riordans Boots
08-03-2010, 02:44 PM
I'd keep him. He's come through a lot of bad personal stuff, and while he hasn't got back to his best form, he's improved in attitude and what he's had to offer this season. I agree that to replace him with someone of a similar ability will cost loads, and he could be a good secret weapon for Europe next year.

I agree with you there Bob. He's gone through a bad time and I think Hibs would be cutting off their nose to spite their face if they didn't keep him. :agree:

http://scotlandonsunday.scotsman.com/hibernianfc/An-answer-to-Benji39s-prayers.5764107.jp

Jim44
08-03-2010, 04:13 PM
I think he's worth another year, particularly if Zemmama is going to be around. Together they can feed off each other footbal-wise but also culturally and religiously which is very important to them. If Zemmama is away in summer however, I don't know if Beji would cut the mustard.

Hibs90
08-03-2010, 04:25 PM
Nah, I'd get rid.

hibee4life1983
08-03-2010, 04:29 PM
i have it on good word that the old benji and hughes relationship is rock solid and hughes thinks just as much of benj as john collins does or did.:notworthy:

col02
08-03-2010, 04:39 PM
Would gaining a work permit for Benji be a problem with a new contract?

Violater
08-03-2010, 07:45 PM
Nah, I'd get rid.

woody47
08-03-2010, 08:02 PM
Definately keep him.

Can be frustrating at times but there isn't a better player on the books that can hold the ball up as well as he can.
Reckon part of his problem was with Mixu and now he needs to get his confidence back. A few starts and a few Yogi's boots up his kyber pass and I reckon he will be back at his best. :thumbsup:

Then if he wants to leave we can get a return for him.

EasterRoad4Ever
08-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Almost 3 years (yes 3 years) since he peaked at Hampden. Has hardly kicked a ball since and certainly got nowhere near to earning his wages. I like Benji - exciting player on his day - but too big a luxury that we cannot afford. I just don't see Hibs being mugged into offering him a contract.

hibee4life1983
08-03-2010, 08:21 PM
Hughes likes him.

Davy Mac
08-03-2010, 08:37 PM
Aye, he wisnae guid right enough for Celtic so nah he's not good enough for the Hibs........:greengrin

seanraff07
08-03-2010, 09:04 PM
Benji can be a great player when he's in the mood, if he can have that attitude more often it would benefit him a lot, i'd still give him another year though.:agree:

proud_and_green
08-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I can't believe the number of people who are wanting rid of him and saying that he's a luxury player.

Benji is one of the few class players that we have. Granted that he doesn't always give 100% but then he hasn't had that much opportunity compared to some. We always go on about wanting flair in the team, Benji can give us that. As has already been said in this thread, his holding the ball, link up play and ability to run with the ball at his feet are all qualities that we need.

All that is really mssing is the consistency, but then how many of the current team does that also apply to.

I say give him another contract, 1 maybe 2 years.

HibbyAndy
08-03-2010, 09:15 PM
Course Benji deserves another contract.

Those questioning his capabilities or form or for what ever other reason can be asked also applys to EVERY SINGLE HIBS PLAYER.

Its not JUST Benji that has a dip in form..FWIW every time ive seen Benji play he aint been the worst player on the pitch, Has mare talent on his wee tae than the entire Hearts strikeforce.

New deal? Yes please.

HibbyAndy
08-03-2010, 09:17 PM

Wheres that?.

Benji is a decent addition to our sqaud wether he starts or comes on as a sub, The more qaulity players at ER the better.

18Craig75
08-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Can't believe some people are wanting rid :confused:

Yes his attitude was wrong in the past but surely everyone deserve a second chance? What happened with Benji in the past has happened. He's done a lot of growing up which has been evident in the way he has conducted himself this season. Surely it's time to forgive and forget?

He has came back with his tail between his legs and worked hard to get himself fit. He hasn't moaned when he's been out the team but has been positive about getting himself back in the starting XI. Every time he picks up the ball I feel like he could do something with it. He is one of the few players who can take the ball into feet with his back to goal, hold a defender off and turn and have a run towards goal.

Give me Benji over huddy's like Kyle, Sutton, Miller etc anyday. 2 year deal please.

tamig
08-03-2010, 10:05 PM

Where is that then? Who in the current squad in your opinion is good enough for "where we want to be?"

vahibbie
08-03-2010, 10:06 PM
Definitely get him signed.

There's no way Hibs can get a better/equal quality player without shelling out big bucks.

Gmack7
08-03-2010, 10:14 PM
its a yes from me,maybe not a fair comparison but he should be in before gow atm

500miles
08-03-2010, 10:51 PM
Definitely get him signed.

There's no way Hibs can get a better/equal quality player without shelling out big bucks.

We got him in for next to nothing.

Benji is certainly one of our most capable players, but you'll get more out of lesser players over the course of a season.

As for blaming Mixu for his "loss of confidence", he was garbage under Collins for his last months. He just wasn't interested. I understand personal issues, but even after that he seems to have an excuse for everything. I would lose no sleep should he be allowed to go.

Seveno
08-03-2010, 10:52 PM
Based on his form on Saturday and brief Sub appearances recently, he would be worth keeping. Incredibly talented but so ofetn just plain lazy.

Just coincidence that he is making an effort now with his contract coming to an end and no deal offered yet ?

If he maintains form then worth a contract but, please, let Stokes take the penalties.

Sir David Gray
08-03-2010, 10:56 PM
Where is that then? Who in the current squad in your opinion is good enough for "where we want to be?"

Graeme Smith
David Wotherspoon
Sol Bamba
Ian Murray
Liam Miller
Merouane Zemmama
Anthony Stokes
Derek Riordan

seanraff07
09-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Graeme Smith
David Wotherspoon
Sol Bamba
Ian Murray
Liam Miller
Merouane Zemmama
Anthony Stokes
Derek Riordan
Kevin McBride too i'd say.

Iain G
09-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Out of contract so an easy one to get off the wage bill to free up some room for Yogi to improve other areas of the squad that need it. Suspect Gow may sign on if terms are agreeable with both parties, Benji's wages would go a long way to this happening for example.

FWIW I don't think either of the two Moroccans will be at Hibs next season.

TornadoHibby
09-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Out of contract so an easy one to get off the wage bill to free up some room for Yogi to improve other areas of the squad that need it. Suspect Gow may sign on if terms are agreeable with both parties, Benji's wages would go a long way to this happening for example.

FWIW I don't think either of the two Moroccans will be at Hibs next season.

Yogi personally rates them more than you appear to! :agree:

Source: Yogi himself! :wink:

brydekirk
09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
if we want to play in europe year in year out, we need more consistant players, not dummie spittin laddies. benji has talent, but is too soft IMO.

Andy74
09-03-2010, 09:18 AM
if we want to play in europe year in year out, we need more consistant players, not dummie spittin laddies. benji has talent, but is too soft IMO.

Bit of a myth about Benji is it not?

From your description Riordan would be first out the door I presume?

Hainan Hibs
09-03-2010, 09:28 AM
Bit of a myth about Benji is it not?

From your description Riordan would be first out the door I presume?

Expect a riot from .net's collection of Riordan Wag wannabes:greengrin

Holmesdale Hibs
09-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Not bothered whether he stays or not and I reckon part of the reason he wants to stay is because there isn't a queue of clubs ready to offer him a big contract.

I've been waiting for him to step forward and recapture his form of the 07 season but have waited so long I have serious doubts this will happen. At the moment, all I can say is that on a good day he's better than Nish. Too many indifferent performances and, unless he improves drastically in the latter half of the season, I'd be tempted to let him go and give one of the youth players a chance.

--------
09-03-2010, 11:18 AM

If we DO play in Europe next season, I'd say Benji's exactly the sort of player we DO want. Zouma, too. Footballers, not tradesmen.

I'd certainly give Benji a contract - we won't get anyone as good without paying big bucks.

IMO the boy's problem is he needs games.

BSEJVT
09-03-2010, 01:23 PM
If we DO play in Europe next season, I'd say Benji's exactly the sort of player we DO want. Zouma, too. Footballers, not tradesmen.

I'd certainly give Benji a contract - we won't get anyone as good without paying big bucks.

IMO the boy's problem is he needs games.

Agree entirely

Benji will never win some Hibs supporters around again after his past history with us, but other than Riordan's goal he produced the only other glimpses of class in a truly woeful performance on Saturday.

We can either have footballers, or hammer throwers like most of the SPL.

Whereas hammer throwers might be easier to watch in the SPL as they are always in there competing, supporters eventually tire of them (see Hearts)

When I watch Hibs I want to see guys doing stuff I was never capable of, Benji, Zouma, Riordan are all capable of that.

When they get it right it lifts your soul, after that you settle back down to the turgid battle that is currently the SPL.

If I weren't a Hibs supporter there is no way I would turn up as a neutral and watch any team in this SPL

tamig
11-03-2010, 08:25 PM
Graeme Smith
David Wotherspoon
Sol Bamba
Ian Murray
Liam Miller
Merouane Zemmama
Anthony Stokes
Derek Riordan

Was aimed at the original poster but if that's your list of who in the current squad is "good enough for Hibs" (not sure what the definition of "where we want to be" is tbh)then I'd certainly add Benji to that list. Made some tremendous passes last week and created the penalty himself.

Sir David Gray
12-03-2010, 12:11 AM
Was aimed at the original poster but if that's your list of who in the current squad is "good enough for Hibs" (not sure what the definition of "where we want to be" is tbh)then I'd certainly add Benji to that list. Made some tremendous passes last week and created the penalty himself.

I think all of the players that I've mentioned in that post are good enough for where I want Hibs to be, which is being the third force in Scotland every year. I think we are just four or five players away from having a brilliant squad.

Sadly I don't think Benji fits the bill anymore and I don't think he has a future at Hibs. People go on about Derek Riordan being a lazy sod but I think that label is much more appropriate for Benji. I can't remember the last time I saw him busting a gut to close down an opponent and make a 50/50 challenge, neither can I remember the last time that I saw him make a special effort to chase after a lost cause. No-one would love to see the Benji of three years ago more than me, I just can't see it happening and if it was up to me, I would let him go in the summer.

joebakerforever
12-03-2010, 12:40 AM
Rather than offer him a new deal now, I'd prefer to wait and see what he delivers between now and the end of the Season before making a decision one way or the other.

The odd flash of genius does not merit re-signing him now, so he'd have the incentive to start grafting now on a consistent basis.

brydekirk
12-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Rather than offer him a new deal now, I'd prefer to wait and see what he delivers between now and the end of the Season before making a decision one way or the other.

The odd flash of genius does not merit re-signing him now, so he'd have the incentive to start grafting now on a consistent basis.
:agree: i also think he realises that Real madrid wont be knocking on his door anytime soon and that hibs are his best option.