PDA

View Full Version : Name the new East Stand in memory of Maude MacFarlane

Eaststand
07-03-2010, 12:59 PM
We've already got a Famous Five Stand, and naming stands at other footie grounds seems to becoming more common. Maude was much much more than an average Hibby and was Mrs Hibs. She raised a loads of money for charities, pensioners and was always working tirelessly behind the scenes at the Hibs supporters club etc for the good of all. So I'd like to propose that we name the new East Stand as the Maude MacFarlane Stand...does anyone agree with me, and if so hows about we get the ball rolling with this one ?

GGTTH

HUTCHYHIBBY
07-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Its a shame and all that, but, nah.

ScottB
07-03-2010, 01:10 PM
Maybe a box or something or some other commemoration, don't know if I'd go as far as to name the stand after them.

If it's gonna be named after a person it's gotta be Sir Tom Farmer for me.

MSK
07-03-2010, 01:17 PM
We've already got a Famous Five Stand, and naming stands at other footie grounds seems to becoming more common. Maude was much much more than an average Hibby and was Mrs Hibs. She raised a loads of money for charities, pensioners and was always working tirelessly behind the scenes at the Hibs supporters club etc for the good of all. So I'd like to propose that we name the new East Stand as the Maude MacFarlane Stand...does anyone agree with me, and if so hows about we get the ball rolling with this one ?

GGTTHI would say no to this idea ...i dont want to sound un sympathetic but as much as i personally respect what Maude has done in the past i feel that it would be unfair on others who are prob just as deserving ..like i say i dont mean that in a disrespectful way..its simply my take on things ..

iwasthere1972
07-03-2010, 02:17 PM

GGTTH

Another one here who doesn't want to sound unsympathetic. Maybe a seat within Easter Road with a plaque bearing Maude's name but to name a stand after her is probably asking too much.

I would love for Hibs to announce the opening of the new "Joe Baker" stand. Although I didn't see him play "in the flesh" until his return to Easter Road in the 70's his record speaks for itself. It would be a fitting tribute to a Hibs great.

Hibernia Na Eir
07-03-2010, 02:50 PM
sorry, but no. New stand should be named after a famous fallen player, not a supporter.

WHUHibs
07-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Nope,,,not a chance.....

What a bizzare choice,,,this one would probably have more chance

We couldnt name it the George Best stand,,,,coz there is no alchol served there!!!

Joe Baker stand would be a good shout with a statue of the great man outside...

jdships
07-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Maybe a box or something or some other commemoration, don't know if I'd go as far as to name the stand after them.

If it's gonna be named after a person it's gotta be Sir Tom Farmer for me.

:top marks

Phil D. Rolls
07-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Are we going to have one of these threads every time someone associated with Hibs passes away? Maude certainly had deep affection for the club, but I think there are other people in front of her in the queue.

Joe Baker? What about Canon Hannon, Michael Wheleghan or Pat Stanton? Or how about recognising that no one person is more important than others in our club's history and naming it the Persevere stand?

Ed De Gramo
07-03-2010, 03:05 PM
The Calgary Hibs Stand :hmmm::hyper:

Sunny1875
07-03-2010, 03:26 PM
How about the 'New East All Sitting Stand'

Now Sit Down

NorthNorfolkHFC
07-03-2010, 03:32 PM
The Tony Rougier Stand :thumbsup:

iwasthere1972
07-03-2010, 03:36 PM
Chelsea 1-0 Lampard

:faf: Sorry wrong thread.

Hibby D
07-03-2010, 03:59 PM
No from me - :no way: There are many fans who do as much if not more to promoting and sustaining Hibernian FC

Why not call it "The East Terrracing"?

A tribute to all the fans - without whom this fine club of ours wouldn't exist :wink:

Viva_Palmeiras
07-03-2010, 04:13 PM
"Petries Last Stand" surely :greengrin

East is East. No more need be said.

Or as a tribute to the fans and terrace

"Stand Up and Be Counted" Stand:cool2:

lucky
07-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Im against it for me it has to be the Sir Tom Farmer stand.

Gala Foxes
07-03-2010, 04:39 PM
A loyal Hi-bee and deserving of respect but to name a stand - never

if the stand gets named after anyone or any group of players it should be ones that have had an impact on the history of our great Club

stu in nottingham
07-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I really think the club should commemorate Maude in some way, perhaps with a plaque or even better naming a charitable cause or another initiative after her.

It maybe won't be popular but I'd finally commemorate Canon Hannon in the new stand, maybe even in conjunction with Michael Whelehan.

sadtom
07-03-2010, 05:17 PM
Its a 'no' from me aswell.

Always liked the idea of the 'Persevere' stand myself. With a gate with 'sunshine on Leith' across it. Maybe even try to get SoL (Sunshine on Leith) lager to sponsor it.

Sudds_1
07-03-2010, 05:23 PM
or...."we got a certificate to sit here" stand? :wink:

fiolex1
07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
We should just call "The Farmer Stand" after Sir Tom ,and his grandfather

marinello59
07-03-2010, 05:39 PM
It maybe won't be popular but I'd finally commemorate Canon Hannon in the new stand.

:agree:

Matty_Jack04
07-03-2010, 05:46 PM
A loyal Hi-bee and deserving of respect but to name a stand - never

if the stand gets named after anyone or any group of players it should be ones that have had an impact on the history of our great Club

Eddie Turnbull for me :agree:

iwasthere1972
07-03-2010, 06:04 PM
:wink:

Famous Five ring a bell. :wink:

ALF TUPPER
07-03-2010, 06:15 PM
Maude ( god rest her) was grand lady. .......... but

I think we should call the new stand .......

The "East Stand"

Lets not name it after anyone.

The fans who will go there over the next 10/15/20/100+ years will make it what it is. A spinechilling wall of sound ( hopefully) - a wall of green and white - a sight to motivate our team and put fear into the opposition as they come out the tunnel.

The East stand will never die !!! :soapbox:

:stirrer:

Alfred E Newman
07-03-2010, 06:16 PM
The Benny Brazil Stand :greengrin

Big_D
07-03-2010, 06:23 PM
sorry, but no. New stand should be named after a famous fallen player, not a supporter.

The Colin Nish Stand ?

.Sean.
07-03-2010, 06:33 PM
The Colin Nish Stand ?
Predictable and boring :yawn:

iwasthere1972
07-03-2010, 06:38 PM
The Colin Nish Stand ?

Come on now it would fall down within a day. :greengrin

Phil D. Rolls
07-03-2010, 06:50 PM

That would be the ***** Off Stand then?

(Welcome aboard by the way. :thumbsup:)

Kojock
07-03-2010, 06:54 PM
I attend the games with a 72 year old guy. He has been watching Hibs since the early forties.

He's not a wealthy man and still has to work so that he can still afford to watch Hibs home and away. He eats, works and *****s Hibs.

Im sure there are many more supporters just like him so to call a stand after an individual would be wrong.

Hibs On Tour
07-03-2010, 07:14 PM
How about the 'New East All Sitting Stand'

Now Sit Down

Or what about 'The Now Sit Down Stand'...? :devil:

Horse
07-03-2010, 07:31 PM

GGTTH

The same thought crossed my mind aswell. There are many stands named after players, directors etc. but I don't think there are many (or any) named after fans. I think it would be appropriate to name a stand after a fan like Maude - who was as staunch a Hibby as there is. without people like Maude we would most certainly have no club left to follow as vultures like the FTB would have got their way. So if it's ok to name stands after players or directors it should be ok a stand to be named after a fan - the contribution of players and directors to a club can be huge but if you ask me the fans are even more important because if it wasn't for the fans there would be no club, players or directors to name stands after.

Greentinted
07-03-2010, 07:38 PM
I really think the club should commemorate Maude in some way, perhaps with a plaque or even better naming a charitable cause or another initiative after her.

It maybe won't be popular but I'd finally commemorate Canon Hannon in the new stand, maybe even in conjunction with Michael Whelehan.

I'm with you here Stu.

Most Pre-seasons we have a glut of friendlies - How about the most glamourous of those being played for a memorial trophy in her name with a percentage of the gate money going towards a charity close to Maude's heart!

deek1875
07-03-2010, 07:49 PM
I attend the games with a 72 year old guy. He has been watching Hibs since the early forties.

He's not a wealthy man and still has to work so that he can still afford to watch Hibs home and away. He eats, works and *****s Hibs.

Im sure there are many more supporters just like him so to call a stand after an individual would be wrong.

spot on

green.and.white
07-03-2010, 07:55 PM
The Mali Magician Stand

Vini1875
07-03-2010, 07:57 PM
Funny but from the little I know of her, I think she would be appalled by the behaviour of those of us in the east stand.

I would prefer the Cannon Hannon Stand, but then he might be appalled by us as well.

Toaods
07-03-2010, 07:58 PM
I propose we call the south stand the Albert Kidd Stand

...loving the idea of all the ****bos taking extra special care in their secret hiding place in the kitchen as they safeguard their ticket for The Albert Kidd Stand Row 7 seat 20.

...."sorry folks there's been a printers error, just take up any seat you like"...:faf:

deek1875
07-03-2010, 07:59 PM
wattie robb stand

whiskyhibby
07-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Im against it for me it has to be the Sir Tom Farmer stand.

I have to say I agree, Tom Farmer is the obvious choice, he saved our club after all.................................:notworthy::no tworthy:

hibsboy90
07-03-2010, 10:59 PM
Surely it would be most appropriate given the general chat at the moment, to call it......

The East Sit

Carheenlea
07-03-2010, 11:05 PM
I think you cheapen a stadium by stands having names, and if you just take a minute to think about "Giving a stand a name..."

It`s actually pretty ludicrous, and maybe confirms non footballing fans fears that we all take football far too seriously :greengrin

I like the fact the "Famous Five Stand" is not named after an individual, and it is unique in that way. Keep it as it is, a classy stadium with one named Stand and it`s nod to a bygone and glorious era, and 3 other modern stands called The West, South and East.

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2010, 11:49 AM
The uber fan stand.:devil:

iwasthere1972
08-03-2010, 12:37 PM
The uber fannies stand.:devil:

Sorted. :wink:

blackpoolhibs
08-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Sorted. :wink:

:greengrin

jakedance
08-03-2010, 03:32 PM
I'm sure Sir Tom would be too modest to allow a stand to be named after him now. I'm sure the West will be the Sir Tom Farmer stand when he passes away or sells the club.

In the meantime I like the Perservere Stand for the new East with the Sunshine on Leith gates. I think this part of the ground should celebrate the supporters as a whole and their community rather than an individual.

proud_and_green
08-03-2010, 03:41 PM
Nope,,,not a chance.....

What a bizzare choice,,,this one would probably have more chance

We couldnt name it the George Best stand,,,,coz there is no alchol served there!!!Joe Baker stand would be a good shout with a statue of the great man outside...

If there was a bar in the new East it could be called 'Behind the Bams'.

HUTCHYHIBBY
08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
What about the new catering facilities being called The Frank Dougan Pie Stand?

MrSmith
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
How about just calling it...The Hibernian Football Club stand because we are all of the Hibernian family and if any stand represents this then the new East does!

Eaststand
08-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Ta to everybody that gave their opinion on this thread..it looks like it wasn't one of my better ideas, but I can accept the majority rule etc

Hopefully the board will do something to commemorate Maude and maybe the plaque on her seat as somebody else suggested would be an idea eh.

Ps- I know I'm a numpty, but how do you folks get the wee images / crest on the left side of the screen when you post a message ?

CRAZYHIBBY
08-03-2010, 06:13 PM
can it not just be called "The East Terrace":confused:

iwasthere1972
08-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Ta to everybody that gave their opinion on this thread..it looks like it wasn't one of my better ideas, but I can accept the majority rule etc

Hopefully the board will do something to commemorate Maude and maybe the plaque on her seat as somebody else suggested would be an idea eh.

Ps- I know I'm a numpty, but how do you folks get the wee images / crest on the left side of the screen when you post a message ?

Go to "User CP" and edit your details. You can upload your own avatar or use one of the ones already there.

Good luck.

Eaststand
08-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Go to "User CP" and edit your details. You can upload your own avatar or use one of the ones already there.

Good luck.

Ta for that, I think I've got it sussed

GGTTH

Toaods
08-03-2010, 08:34 PM
If there was a bar in the new East it could be called 'Behind the Bams'.

what about: The Preferty Stand.........:faf:

Bad Martini
09-03-2010, 11:12 AM
The NawehereTiStand Stand :cool2: